message #2527204

Re: ‘Rhodes Must Fall’ rage now in UK

Post by message #2527204 »

A5D5E5 wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
Sefton wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
At the risk of this turning into something interesting, and noting the fact this isn't a serious conversation, but the concept of "land ownership" would have been entirely alien to tribes of itinerant hunter-gatherers.
But as hunter gatherers they would have had territories that they wouldn't want other groups encroaching on I'm assuming.
They would have considered being displaced by force entirely normal - whether by another tribe with sharper sticks or by a pride of sabre toothed cats. They would have felt no sense of ownership of the land.
That isn't quite how any other social animals defend their territories against invaders. Get a quote from doctor Alice and I'll believe it.
Defending the best hunting or gathering grounds isn't the point I'm making. Once they had lost the fight, they would move on. They might try to take it back but only because it was a good source of salmon / nuts / berries. The idea that bits of land were owned is a much more recent social construct and probably only started when the hunter-gatherers started transitioning to becoming farmers.

These aren't my ideas by the way - it is all stuff from Yuval Noah Harari's book Sapiens - which I wholeheartedly recommend.

His idea as it relates to this is that with the agricultural revolution homo sapiens developed the ability to have abstract thought. This allowed for the planning necessary to become farmers but also allowed for abstract concepts such as property ownership.

Hmmm. Doesn't ring true to me. I'll take a read, but I know that Chimps for example, have an idea of property ownership and will defend their own 'stuff' - unless you mean real estate?
In social animals, if the group is attacked and displaced from its territory, they are either accepted as part of the new group, are killed, or move on. That doesn't mean they have no concept of 'home', just that they can't stay there any more.
A5D5E5

Post by A5D5E5 »

message #2527204 wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
Sefton wrote:
They would have considered being displaced by force entirely normal - whether by another tribe with sharper sticks or by a pride of sabre toothed cats. They would have felt no sense of ownership of the land.
That isn't quite how any other social animals defend their territories against invaders. Get a quote from doctor Alice and I'll believe it.
Defending the best hunting or gathering grounds isn't the point I'm making. Once they had lost the fight, they would move on. They might try to take it back but only because it was a good source of salmon / nuts / berries. The idea that bits of land were owned is a much more recent social construct and probably only started when the hunter-gatherers started transitioning to becoming farmers.

These aren't my ideas by the way - it is all stuff from Yuval Noah Harari's book Sapiens - which I wholeheartedly recommend.

His idea as it relates to this is that with the agricultural revolution homo sapiens developed the ability to have abstract thought. This allowed for the planning necessary to become farmers but also allowed for abstract concepts such as property ownership.

Hmmm. Doesn't ring true to me. I'll take a read, but I know that Chimps for example, have an idea of property ownership and will defend their own 'stuff' - unless you mean real estate?
In social animals, if the group is attacked and displaced from its territory, they are either accepted as part of the new group, are killed, or move on. That doesn't mean they have no concept of 'home', just that they can't stay there any more.
I was talking specifically about the modern sense of land ownership being a legal construct with rights and obligations.

Possession of items and defence of those items is different as it is a physical thing that would be carried around with you.
message #2527204

A5D5E5 wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
message #2527204 wrote: That isn't quite how any other social animals defend their territories against invaders. Get a quote from doctor Alice and I'll believe it.

I was talking specifically about the modern sense of land ownership being a legal construct with rights and obligations.

Possession of items and defence of those items is different as it is a physical thing that would be carried around with you.
OK. Will give it a go.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

Caley_Red wrote:
Leffe wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Leffe wrote:
mdaclarke wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... churchills

this puts the police in a difficult position, they will be outrage amongst normal people if the police remove the Statue protectors and allow the SJWs to deface Winston Churchill's statue

I also think the article paints the BLM movement as the aggressors/more violent ones.

"Tim Newburn, professor of criminology at the London School of Economics, said: “That could become extremely problematic, because what happens is that the police start to look like they are protecting the smaller of the two groups, which is likely to be the far right.”

As I said before the Far Right and Far Left are 2 sides of the same coin. In fact I would say that the far left SJW mob are worse (more violent)
Chruchill is a classic example of someone where no balanced discussion can take place. He is simply a hero in the eyes of most and they will simply not listen to the balanced historical view of him. It's seen as an attack, when it is a desire for historical balance and truth.
This is false though, most Brits see him as a wartime hero and understand he was a shite peacetime PM and many know he screwed up in WWI. Sure a few loudmouths like Nigel Farage will drone on, but the idea most people think Churchill is perfect seems to be only believed by non-brits or those in media bubbles.
No its not, fudge off.

Churchill is idolised by much of the population and they won't hear anything about his colonial jaunts.
Can you not keep your swivel-eyed views on the Brexit thread with the rest of your crew?
Your kneejerk insult supports Leffe's point more than you know :thumbup:
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

bimboman wrote:
La soule wrote:
backrow wrote:Some statue of a black playwright in Bristol , has been defaced with bleach :?

Doubt his plays were actually worthy of condemnation so is just a reaction to the colston destruction. Will the same happen to the madela bust on the south bank near Waterloo now ?

This tit for tat stuff is bonkers, the initial protestors have just made the situation worse and now the world is more racist and divided as a result.
The world was already pretty racist. Some people were/are in denial though.

The world is at its most peaceful, tolerant and fair period in history. Some people don’t like that ..
Wrong.

They don't like discrimination, whether it's less brutal than it used to be or not.

It really isn't difficult.
Woddy

Post by Woddy »

Sapiens is a fantastic book, seriously recommend it even if you don't agree with all he says (I very doubt he would expect you to). On that particular horse/cart debate, I'd go for abstract thought preceding settled farming communities. You'd need to conceptualise how to retain the resources you need around one spot, rather than reactively following plants and animals through their seasonal cycles and journeys.

And I'd argue that abstract thought goes a lot further down through the animal kingdom than we like to think in arrogating it to ourselves. Quite aside from other primates, it's well-documented how corvids and squirrels, for example, can think things out, which must use some form of abstract thought. Even trial & error needs an element of it.

In terms of land-ownership, that may well be a modern (post hunter-gatherer) concept in some ways, but I'd argue the sense of "home" is much older and more innate. Various types of animal who relax when back at base and want to get there, viz. The Incredible Journey. Who knows what goes through the minds of turtles and salmon as they return to the same places they were born in.
message #2527204

shereblue wrote:
bimboman wrote:
La soule wrote:
backrow wrote:Some statue of a black playwright in Bristol , has been defaced with bleach :?

Doubt his plays were actually worthy of condemnation so is just a reaction to the colston destruction. Will the same happen to the madela bust on the south bank near Waterloo now ?

This tit for tat stuff is bonkers, the initial protestors have just made the situation worse and now the world is more racist and divided as a result.

The world is at its most peaceful, tolerant and fair period in history. Some people don’t like that ..
Wrong.

They don't like discrimination, whether it's less brutal than it used to be or not.

'They'? You're a spokesman for 'them'?
La soule

Post by La soule »

message #2527204 wrote:
shereblue wrote:
bimboman wrote:
La soule wrote:

Wrong.

We, the people, have had enough of the negative impact of nationalist conservatives on this planet.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

message #2527204 wrote:
shereblue wrote:
bimboman wrote:
La soule wrote:

Wrong.

You really got me there, bro. :thumbup:
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

shereblue wrote:
bimboman wrote:
La soule wrote:

Wrong.

Yeah, the state of Peace , tolerance and democracy globally being historically at its best isn’t a an opinion it’s a stone cold fact.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

We, the people, have had enough of the negative impact of nationalist conservatives on this planet.
Yeah, all that peace and prosperity can be very tiring.
La soule

Post by La soule »

bimboman wrote:
Speak for yourself. Anyway, the Brits have been working very had lately to change all that.
message #2527204

La soule wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
shereblue wrote:
bimboman wrote:
La soule wrote:

Wrong.

So much better the politics of anger, racism, class warfare, revolution and destruction of the radical left.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

La soule wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Speak for yourself. Anyway, the Brits have been working very had lately to change all that.

Even the UK and it’s troubles are at an almost historic high in prosperity , peace and democracy.

Globally though our peace and prosperity is undeniably the best it’s ever been.

The point the radical left are struggling with is they’ve lost, they’re running out of poor clients. The othering now is a reaction to that.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

bimboman wrote:
shereblue wrote:
bimboman wrote:
La soule wrote:

Wrong.

Yeah, the state of Peace , tolerance and democracy globally being historically at its best isn’t a an opinion it’s a stone cold fact.
I welcome your invoking "tolerance"

Finally we share a common value that respects the legitimacy of protest and sets itself against racism. :thumbup:
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Much of the protest is from the same people who protest as extinction rebellion, or anti brexit, , pro Corbyn.

They certainly don’t demonstrate they understand how well the world works most of the time.
Bogbunny

Post by Bogbunny »

So that Nelson Mandela chap.

A convicted criminal and terrorist in an ethnic minorities opinion.

Seems enough to pull his statue down and throw it into the sea?

Bonkers
ox wagon

Post by ox wagon »

Last edited by ox wagon on Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Anonymous. wrote:
Leffe wrote: Chruchill is a classic example of someone where no balanced discussion can take place. He is simply a hero in the eyes of most and they will simply not listen to the balanced historical view of him. It's seen as an attack, when it is a desire for historical balance and truth.
I see it more as Churchill was a racist cunt and also a wartime hero leader who stepped up to the plate. The salvation he helped deliver the British people more than outweighs any and all of his demerits as far as the British people as a whole are concerned. Easy
Yes exactly.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

bimboman wrote:Much of the protest is from the same people who protest as extinction rebellion, or anti brexit, , pro Corbyn.

They certainly don’t demonstrate they understand how well the world works most of the time.
Dear old Message # will be enquiring whether you are a spokesman.

I know little useful about Extinction Rebellion.

However, please don't slur the one million washed, anti-Brexit protesters by connecting them with Corbyn.

The anti capitalist had no part in their protest. Au contraire, he was a stout yeoman of Brexit. Very much one of yours. Sorry.
croyals

Post by croyals »

True Blue wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Leffe wrote: Chruchill is a classic example of someone where no balanced discussion can take place. He is simply a hero in the eyes of most and they will simply not listen to the balanced historical view of him. It's seen as an attack, when it is a desire for historical balance and truth.
I see it more as Churchill was a racist cunt and also a wartime hero leader who stepped up to the plate. The salvation he helped deliver the British people more than outweighs any and all of his demerits as far as the British people as a whole are concerned. Easy
Yes exactly.
Yep. You can love a band's best album without having to love every single other song.
Glaston

Post by Glaston »

Poor old Robert the Bruce.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

shereblue wrote:
bimboman wrote:Much of the protest is from the same people who protest as extinction rebellion, or anti brexit, , pro Corbyn.

However, please don't slur the one million washed, anti-Brexit protesters by connecting them with Corbyn.

The anti capitalist had no part in their protest. Au contraire, he was a stout yeoman of Brexit. Very much one of yours. Sorry.

And 1/16th of remain voters. :nod:
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UoA2RHLlww

If anyone wants to know what the issues are, listen to this. :shock: :shock: :|
kiwidutchie

Post by kiwidutchie »

True Blue wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Yes exactly.
Churchill was fallible. At the end of the day he was a man of his time. Who is to say what sort of views he might have held if he was born 100 years later.

If he had been born 100 years later, who would have stood up to authoritarian fascism in 1939. he certainly held views which, in the modern day would not be as palatable as they were then, but his actions preserved the systems of government in the UK, and throughout the world, that allowed authoritarian measures to be challenged, and defeated.

He was a champion of democracy, who, ironically, was at his best during times of war. He preserved our way of life, and stood for freedom.

and he was a bit of a prick.

He had great relationships with Truman and Eisenhower. One can only wonder what he would have thought of the current President.
Bayern

Post by Bayern »

kiwidutchie wrote:
True Blue wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Yes exactly.
Churchill was fallible. At the end of the day he was a man of his time. Who is to say what sort of views he might have held if he was born 100 years later.

If he had been born 100 years later, who would have stood up to authoritarian fascism in 1939. he certainly held views which, in the modern day would not be as palatable as they were then, but his actions preserved the systems of government in the UK, and throughout the world, that allowed authoritarian measures to be challenged, and defeated.

He was a champion of democracy, who, ironically, was at his best during times of war. He preserved our way of life, and stood for freedom.

and he was a bit of a prick.

He had great relationships with Truman and Eisenhower. One can only wonder what he would have thought of the current President.

Try not to be sensible, there's a good chap....
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Wendigo7 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UoA2RHLlww

The opinions of a radical activist - is it actually worth listening to?
C69

Post by C69 »

shereblue wrote:

Corbyn was pro brexit ffs :lol:
A Bennite
Wyndham Upalot

Post by Wyndham Upalot »

Corbyn was a proper kunt. Complteletly utrustworyrthy.
message #2527204

fatcat wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UoA2RHLlww

The opinions of a radical activist - is it actually worth listening to?
Not really, but he is member of the leadership group of a now relatively wealthy group called blm uk organising the marches.
His stated aims appear to be firstly the decommissioning of the police, who caused all the trouble at the marches, and secondly overthrowing the Tories to bring the advent of the glorious Revolution to bring down Tory imperialists and replace them with a Marxist heaven. Much the same as extinction rebellion, but with black lives instead of environment.

Seems like a nice enough bloke, and he was given a tough interview.
I like haggis

Post by I like haggis »

https://twitter.com/dansabbagh/status/1 ... 94048?s=20

Nazi salutes Infront of the cenotaph. Churchill would be proud.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Bimboc69 wrote:
shereblue wrote:

Corbyn was pro brexit ffs :lol:
A Bennite

He campaigned for remain. Just another demonstration of how untrustworthy the left are.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

I like haggis wrote:https://twitter.com/dansabbagh/status/1 ... 94048?s=20

How are they not allowed to deface it though?
New guy

Post by New guy »

I like haggis wrote:https://twitter.com/dansabbagh/status/1 ... 94048?s=20

I'm not seeing any Nazi salutes. Watched 3 times.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Does anybody else think that Boris/Patel have played a blinder

1. We are talking about statues of Churchill and Baden-Powell and how BLM want to deface them
2. We are talking about War Memorials and how BLM want to deface them
3. We are talking about Labour's letter which implies that if you are Black or Asian or Ethnic Minority you must be a Labour supported or you are a traitor to your race
4. We are talking about Fawlty Towers and Inbetweeners and how BLM want to ban them

All this makes BLM look dangerous, make Labour look like BLM lapdogs, and Johnson/Patel come out smelling of roses
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

After everything that has gone wrong, they have stayed at 45%, Lib Dems moving to Lab at 37%. Even if Lib Dems and Greens collapse they don't catch the Tories.

Yes, they've played a blinder.
I like haggis

Post by I like haggis »

mdaclarke wrote:Does anybody else think that Boris/Patel have played a blinder

1. We are talking about statues of Churchill and Baden-Powell and how BLM want to deface them
3. We are talking about Labour's letter which implies that if you are Black or Asian or Ethnic Minority you must be a Labour supported or you are a traitor to your race
4. We are talking about Fawlty Towers and Inbetweeners and how BLM want to ban them

All this makes BLM look dangerous, make Labour look like BLM lapdogs, and Johnson/Patel come out smelling of roses
We're about to be watching right wing types fight the police. So not sure they've played it that well.

They'll look stupid if after saying the police must come down tough on protests they don't come down tough today.
Lobby

Post by Lobby »

I like haggis wrote:

We're about to be watching right wing types fight the police. So not sure they've played it that well.

They'll look stupid if after saying the police must come down tough on protests they don't come down tough today.
Priti Patel has already condemned the violence against the police today, so I don’t think either she or the police will tolerate any abuse or violence from the racist rabble-rousers.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

I like haggis wrote:

Agreed. Hopefully it’s a backbone they’ll show again.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

I like haggis wrote:

Trouble is that the average man/woman on the street doesn't fear the far right. This may seem unfair but it is true. They fear the Jihadists and people who they perceive (rightly or wrongly) are trying to overturn their way of life. The Far right are seen as extreme elements but they aren't perceived as trying to overturn our way of life.