What is the closest you have ever come to dying?

All things Rugby
jdogscoop

Re: What is the closest you have ever come to dying?

Post by jdogscoop »

Laurent wrote:12 while Cycling in Alsace.

on a downhill my dad ahead warned of loose chipping on the road

I supidly locked the brakes and slided without control to attempt a kiss with massive oak tree. I was a bit young and callow so i missed the kiss by 15-20 cm.
So casually cool, you French! Was your dad smoking, with no hands on the bars?
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Was knocked unconscious and fractured my skull in a road accident when I was 13.
rett

Post by rett »

I was in NZ for a mate's wedding and went to a hangi. The beers were flowing and I got a bit carried away with the whole trans Tasman/ ANZAC brotherhood bit, and told the big Maori bloke in charge of the food that I was f**cking starving, and wanted to know when the human would be ready to eat.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

My name is Connally. It's 1963 in Dallas, I'm the Governor, and for some fucken reason, I have to sit near Kennedy in the motorcade. I look at LBJ. He looks like he's lost an argument. It's pretty quiet as we turn a very sharp corner. Why's he hit the floor?
Openside

Post by Openside »

BlackMac wrote:I was overcome by smoke when I entered a burning house, which had been set on fire by the mother to try and commit suicide. Unfortunately both her kids were still upstairs.
Didn't think it would be too much of a problem but only got to the top of the stairs.
I was dragged out by the Fire Service who treated me as if I was the village idiot. :blush:
Foolish but bravely done!!
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

Today is the closest. Tomorrow will be closer.

Depressing, really.
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

jdogscoop wrote:
Laurent wrote:12 while Cycling in Alsace.

on a downhill my dad ahead warned of loose chipping on the road

I supidly locked the brakes and slided without control to attempt a kiss with massive oak tree. I was a bit young and callow so i missed the kiss by 15-20 cm.
So casually cool, you French! Was your dad smoking, with no hands on the bars?
No my dad does not smoke. I was scared a bit till the next downhill. :lol: Kids tend to forget that type of things
Petros

Post by Petros »

being swept through the floodgates of a lock when we capsized an eight in front of the floodgates :(
odave

Post by odave »

Brain haemorrhage playing rugby
Perforated gallbladder and peritonitis
Pneumonia
Fell about 4m from a tree onto my back
Fell off a 10m cliff and was saved by a tree branch
Got my leg caught free diving for about 2 mins and swallowed half the ocean.
Drifted out to sea in a blow up dinghy as a 4 year old
Fractured C3 playing rugby
Multiple motorbike crashes

It's more newsworthy I'm still alive tbh.

Everyone says this is unlucky. I prefer to think I'm invincible a la Bruce Willis in Unbreakable...or a cockroach.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

BlackMac wrote:I was overcome by smoke when I entered a burning house, which had been set on fire by the mother to try and commit suicide. Unfortunately both her kids were still upstairs.
Didn't think it would be too much of a problem but only got to the top of the stairs.
I was dragged out by the Fire Service who treated me as if I was the village idiot. :blush:
:thumbup:

The water fairies would have been pissed off you stole their only job that month.
kiweez

Post by kiweez »

odave wrote:Brain haemorrhage playing rugby
Pneumonia

Everyone says this is unlucky. I prefer to think I'm invincible a la Bruce Willis in Unbreakable...or a cockroach.
I'd say rather lucky to still be alive and kicking!
houtkabouter

Post by houtkabouter »

I ate a prawn
Johnny Marrmight

Post by Johnny Marrmight »

houtkabouter wrote:I ate a prawn
Oyster....my kidneys stopped working.
NickM

Post by NickM »

Just remembered. First Thanksgiving weekend after just arriving in the USA, my wife and I took off in my cousins borrowed and old Valiant to vist Montreal and Ottawa in Canada from New Jersey.

Sunday night, we were travelling back to New Jersey at 1:00 am at speed through winding mountainous roads in the Pocono mountains in Pennsylvania when suddenly the steering wheel started violently shaking. Thought we had a tire blow out and slowly brought the car to a stop. Luckily a few minutes later a tow truck on road patrol came by. The driver used his truck hoist to lift the front end of the car and the right front wheel came off! Seems that the wheel bearings had not been packed with grease and had crumbled as a result.
GWO2

Post by GWO2 »

I fell 40ft through a factory roof fracturing my skull and breaking ribs and puncturing a lung plus various nasty cuts. Fortunately (for me) I landed on a pile of hardcore a couple of feet away from a concrete floor
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

rett wrote:I was in NZ for a mate's wedding and went to a hangi. The beers were flowing and I got a bit carried away with the whole trans Tasman/ ANZAC brotherhood bit, and told the big Maori bloke in charge of the food that I was f**cking starving, and wanted to know when the human would be ready to eat.
Puha and Pakeha........delicious.
Killer Rabbit

Post by Killer Rabbit »

It was a rugby game that nearly got me a few years back.
Although I was perhaps already past my best the team relied on me a lot. I had started wearing gloves while playing as I thought they made me look like Michael Jackson... anyway the opposition were freeing the ball from their ruck, and I continued driving into the opposition pack and tripped over their hooker and one of the backs. Ended up coming down on my back, but made a pretty big deal out of it like it was a soccer game. Nasty stuff.

KR
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

Killer Rabbit wrote:It was a rugby game that nearly got me a few years back.
Although I was perhaps already past my best the team relied on me a lot. I had started wearing gloves while playing as I thought they made me look like Michael Jackson... anyway the opposition were freeing the ball from their ruck, and I continued driving into the opposition pack and tripped over their hooker and one of the backs. Ended up coming down on my back, but made a pretty big deal out of it like it was a soccer game. Nasty stuff.

KR
Holy Handgrenade of Antioch, shurely.
trapper

Post by trapper »

Falling asleep at the wheel driving to Canberra from Sydney one morning. I drifted across two lanes and was about to head into a ravine full of trees, If it wasn't for the driver of a semi truck tooting his horn behind me I'd be a gonna.

Another time I was demolishing a 15 metre tall chimney stack from a kiln, steel casing and lined with bricks inside. The idea was to gas axe the thing in half and have the crane driver lift the top half off straight on to the back of the truck. I had to get rid of the bricks inside before I could cut through it though. So there I am inside with a kanga knocking bricks out from around the bottom. I wasn't really paying attention to how far I had gone round when I realised there was feck all left holding the bricks up, I carefully made my way out with the Kanga and as I put it down and it hit the side of the stack with a slight thud, fark me thousands of bricks came tumbling down right where I was, I reckon if I had gone on removing bricks for one more second......
Killer Rabbit

Post by Killer Rabbit »

Turbogoat wrote:
Killer Rabbit wrote:It was a rugby game that nearly got me a few years back.

KR
Holy Handgrenade of Antioch, shurely.

Sure... Joke about it all you want.
I COULD HAVE DIED!!!!!!!!
Oceanbreeze

Post by Oceanbreeze »

Everytime Fiji plays New Zealand in sevens.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

obelixtim wrote:
Openside wrote:
obelixtim wrote:1st freefall, 3 second delay. Thats how it used to be when you'd completed 5 static line jumps, and demonstrated dummy ripcord pulls twice. This was back before AFF training was even thought of....1974.

furry muff - bit of a baptism of fire :lol: :lol:
I was a bit too busy to be scared about it...scared the crap out of everyone on the ground though. Back in the plane 20 minutes later, got it right second time around.

It only really hit me properly how close it was when I saw another guy go real close a couple of months later....
Was there room in the second plane for your balls? :thumbup:
WelshmanBKK

Post by WelshmanBKK »

I can't even think of anything that I could twist into a "It could have been be" story....

Best go is I once flew Malaysian Airlines in 1987
Rocketz

Post by Rocketz »

Pulmonary embolism. Collapsed right lung doctors claim I got the blood thinners in the nick of time
Sloper

Post by Sloper »

I've nearly taken a few final falls when climbing without ropes, but probably the closest when I had bird flu* with a sudden onset of septicaemia.

I went from feeling hungover (I was) to in hospital with lots of tubes sticking out of me and on O2 and heard the Dr say to my mate who accompanied me to hospital 'what do we do if we can't contact his wife urgently wasn't great'.

When discharged from hospital I could barely walk to the toilet for about three days,, I did lose about 7lbs in weight though. ;)

* contracted via direct blood to blood, when plucking some teal for supper.
Jake

Post by Jake »

Car accident 3 yrs back. Woman hit rear of my car, I spun across 3 lanes into path of oncoming HGV. For a year I used to get flashbacks of the headlights of the lorry. I still go all kinda shaky when I think about it.
Precious Haka

Post by Precious Haka »

Taking a shit on one of those old type high cistern toilets in a scummy public amenities in London Pub. When the cistern broke apart and the lid hit me square on the top of the head. Apparently I stumbled out of the cubicle blood streaming down my face and landed face first in a blocked ceramic urinal unconscious.

Some guy who was washing his hands pulled my head out of the piss and water saving my life. Worse part was while unconscious laying on the floor while the medics got there I had emptied my bowels and when I did come round. Found myself in a pile of blood and shit with my pants round my ankles and in a now very crowded room with many eyes upon me.

tbh probably worse than dying.
TheDocForgotHisLogon

Post by TheDocForgotHisLogon »

Precious Haka wrote:Taking a shit on one of those old type high cistern toilets in a scummy public amenities in London Pub. When the cistern broke apart and the lid hit me square on the top of the head. Apparently I stumbled out of the cubicle blood streaming down my face and landed face first in a blocked ceramic urinal unconscious.

Some guy who was washing his hands pulled my head out of the piss and water saving my life. Worse part was while unconscious laying on the floor while the medics got there I had emptied my bowels and when I did come round. Found myself in a pile of blood and shit with my pants round my ankles and in a now very crowded room with many eyes upon me.

Outstanding. Two weekends ago out on our 8.5m pontoon fishing boat, going across a ~1m wind chop near the harbour heads on our way back in, all relaxed, 15 decent fish in the bin. The lad at the helm put the wrong trim tab on and put it on too hard. Front end went down a wave hard and he then panicked and didn't throttle off and didn't turn back up the wave. Coastguard guy in the passenger seat fell on top of him (that's how far over we were), and grabbed the wheel and at the same time the front end of the pontoons kicked in and we came right. Nearly breached. Happened in less than a second though I did get that time ran slow thing and the mind seemed to adjust immediately to the situation (cool in its way). My personal EPIRB wasn't hooked to my lifejacket as it is when fishing or in any mildly dodgy situation, boat EPIRB was in its housing. If we'd breached no time to get them, in the water in the Cook Straight in a Wellington winter with an offshore wind, no comms, dead. Lifejacket would have just have meant drifted for 40 minutes before dying instead of dying in the first five minutes.

Very sobering experience.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

jdogscoop wrote:
obelixtim wrote:
Openside wrote:
obelixtim wrote:1st freefall, 3 second delay. Thats how it used to be when you'd completed 5 static line jumps, and demonstrated dummy ripcord pulls twice. This was back before AFF training was even thought of....1974.

furry muff - bit of a baptism of fire :lol: :lol:
I was a bit too busy to be scared about it...scared the crap out of everyone on the ground though. Back in the plane 20 minutes later, got it right second time around.

It only really hit me properly how close it was when I saw another guy go real close a couple of months later....
Was there room in the second plane for your balls? :thumbup:
Courage had nothing to do with it. I didn't really think about it. I was just keen to get that freefall done properly. I thought the odds of dying after that close shave were pretty small. That malfunction was probably the worst you could get, so that was the reapers big chance to get me and he blew it.

I'm not particularly braver than anybody else on the planet. Climbing up on the roof of the house is way scarier than jumping out of a plane.
de_Selby

Post by de_Selby »

Precious Haka wrote:Taking a shit on one of those old type high cistern toilets in a scummy public amenities in London Pub. When the cistern broke apart and the lid hit me square on the top of the head. Apparently I stumbled out of the cubicle blood streaming down my face and landed face first in a blocked ceramic urinal unconscious.

:lol: you win the thread
Witchfinder General

Post by Witchfinder General »

A few years back driving along around 100km per hour when the front passenger wheel of my car fell off and went bouncing down the road, I managed the get into the hard shoulder and stop.
Then this morning driving to work on the M3 in heavy fog came through the roundabout at Kells to find a truck hurtling towards me on the wrong side of the motorway swift evasive action was required.
Hoop

Post by Hoop »

I had a black suit to wear to a funeral & only had brown shoes.
fudge it wore brown shoes.
croyals

Post by croyals »

A bloke wearing a gas mask jumped out from round the corner of a footpath, punched me in the face then pulled a knife on me when I was 17 walking home from school. I did the sensible thing and offered him everything in my pockets.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Tehui wrote:At age 10 I was hit by a car. I had been playing cricket on a residential street with a group of the locals, when a speeding car (Kingswood) drove right through us. Luckily I didn't get a head injury, but the car did collect my legs. None of my friends got hurt.

At age 16 I feel asleep on the couch in the lounge with the heater going. At about 3am or 4am I woke up and my eyes felt strange. I sat up in the dark and realised there was smoke and that I was in trouble. I turned the light on and I couldn't see anything, so I had to drop to the floor. I crawled across the room to see that a pillow at the end of the couch had fallen on the heater, and that half of the pillow had burnt away. I've had smoke alarms ever since.
I wrote this post 2 1/2 years ago.

These experiences have now been surpassed by something that happened to me recently. I can't talk about it on-line yet, but I will share it when the timing is right. I'm very, very lucky to still be alive.
Last edited by Tehui on Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eugenefraxby

Post by eugenefraxby »

Car pulled in front of me on A3 near Kingston when I was doing a smidge over limit on Triumph 955.
Split second ‘WTF’
Woke up in hospital. High sided the bike landed on back and slid quite some distance no one ran me over.
Not a scratch just concussion. Got a notable bollocking from wife that endured more than the accident.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

A near death bump...

the best kind.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

I propped a scrum against Carl Hayman in 1997.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

jdogscoop wrote:My name is Connally. It's 1963 in Dallas, I'm the Governor, and for some fucken reason, I have to sit near Kennedy in the motorcade. I look at LBJ. He looks like he's lost an argument. It's pretty quiet as we turn a very sharp corner. Why's he hit the floor?
:thumbup: :lol: Good work younger jdogscoop.
Miguel Indurain

Post by Miguel Indurain »

koroke hangareka wrote:Today is the closest. Tomorrow will be closer.

Depressing, really.

:thumbup: Ditto.
Armchair_Superstar

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

odave wrote:Brain haemorrhage playing rugby
Pneumonia

Odds-on favourite from the moment the thread was created :lol:

Lots of stuff involving cars and snowboarding when I was young and foolish, but the one that stands out recently is a fully-laden milk tanker leaving 20ft skidmarks up the road just behind me when I was out on the road bike.