Bands you are off to see live - Bump for Mog the Alwhingy

All things Rugby
Mat the Expat

Re: Bands you are off to see live

Post by Mat the Expat »

swc wrote:Did darkness and the ruts on the same night :) (darkness at the enmore and the ruts down the road at the factory)....darkness so so....the ruts superb :) rudimental coming up...SLF tickets bought for March next year.....
THE Darkness? Bugger, didn't realise they were touring :(( :((
themaddog

Post by themaddog »

Saw Mercury Rev last night. A great show as ever, they are a super live band.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Mat the Expat wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
Mat the Expat wrote:Megadeth and Chris Cornell in a few months.

Recently saw:

TV on the Radio
Mastodon
Soundgarden
Is this the acoustic tour and have you been yet? I'm going tonight, looking forward to it as it's in the Michael Fowler Centre which is the only place in Wellington with decent acoustics.
Mine is the 12th Dec. Acoustic.
Well he still has a great set of pipes but I couldn't help waiting for the guitars to kick.

Played various songs from Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog and Audioslave which I didn't think translated that well. Fell on Black Days and Like a Stone excepted. Thought Burden in my Hand or 4th of July would've been good but it didn't make an appearance.

The covers were actually the best. Did a pretty good versions of Nothing Compares, The Times They Are a-Changin' & Billie Jean :lol:

He also sung the everything in a completely different time signature so the crowd couldn't really sing along which I felt was a bit of a mistake. OK re-interpret the majority of the songs but give the crowd something.

Anyway concerts are shit now. No smoking, no joints, hard to get a beer... all a bit bland really. The whole point should be to go and dance and sing your tits off and not sit there being a boring plum.

So all in all highly recommended :thumbup:
swc

Post by swc »

Ogre wrote:
swc wrote:Did darkness and the ruts on the same night :) (darkness at the enmore and the ruts down the road at the factory)....darkness so so....the ruts superb :) rudimental coming up...SLF tickets bought for March next year.....
Really?

the Darkness were freakin awesome live :shock:
they were ok but seen better. Ruts farkin nailed it though.
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

swc wrote:
Ogre wrote:
Really?

the Darkness were freakin awesome live :shock:
they were ok but seen better. Ruts farkin nailed it though.
Really?

I would go out on a limb and say that they are the best band I have seen live :shock:

Still maybe it was just a poo performance for you. In which case I recommend seeing them again next time
L. Ron Hubbard

Post by L. Ron Hubbard »

Off to see You Am I at their spiritual home, the Metro in Sydney again tonight.

Caught them in Newcastle 3 weeks ago - still one of my favourite bands to see live after all these years.

Remember seeing them at the Metro in the mid-late 90s and they did 7 nights in a row at the metro with one matinee performance thrown in.....them were the days :thumbup:
waguser

Post by waguser »

Ham Sandwich
Mat the Expat

Post by Mat the Expat »

I've never really got into You am I - sacrilidge to you and Shrekles I know :blush:

Black Label Society were immense - Zakk is nuts!
grievous

Post by grievous »

Locked in for new year
Hot Chip
Icehouse
The Jezabels

Looks like I missed out on the Chvrches show sold out
grievous

Post by grievous »

Mat the Expat wrote:I've never really got into You am I - sacrilidge to you and Shrekles I know :blush:

Saw YAI at Emnore a couple of years for the first time since BDO days, very good show but Tim Rodgers just loves himself too much
Mat the Expat

Post by Mat the Expat »

grievous wrote:Locked in for new year
Hot Chip
Icehouse
The Jezabels

Catch up for a beer before the Jezabels?

Iron Maiden and Charlatans locked in :nod:
Farva

Post by Farva »

Spent a long weekend at the Queenscliff music festival.
Headlined by Angus and Julia Stone, but also had Augie March, Hoodoo Gurus, Tex Perkins, Lior (playing his 2003 release) and Melbourne Ska Orchestra. But the highlight was some of the smaller acts. They had a thing called the blues train where you caught a train for 30 minutes, with one musician in a carriage, got to the end of the line, changed carriages and had another musician on the way back.

Also saw Cat Empire on Thursday night before we headed down.
Mat the Expat

Post by Mat the Expat »

Icehouse in Feb
grievous

Post by grievous »

Mat the Expat wrote:
Hot Chip
Icehouse
The Jezabels

Sure thing but catch the open act Eves the Behaviour, really good
grievous

Post by grievous »

Mat the Expat wrote:Icehouse in Feb
Another beer then
Mat the Expat

Post by Mat the Expat »

grievous wrote:
Mat the Expat wrote:
Hot Chip
Icehouse
The Jezabels

Sure thing but catch the open act Eves the Behaviour, really good
Will do - Double beers!
L. Ron Hubbard

Post by L. Ron Hubbard »

Mat the Expat wrote:I've never really got into You am I - sacrilidge to you and Shrekles I know :blush:

Heathen!
(How you spelt sacrilege, not because you didn't get into YAI) ;)

Responsible for some of the great all time riffs in Australian music....and Tim Rogers is the classic frontman!

But with music, its different strokes for different folks as they say :thumbup:
Mat the Expat

Post by Mat the Expat »

L. Ron Hubbard wrote:

Heathen!
(How you spelt sacrilege, not because you didn't get into YAI) ;)

Responsible for some of the great all time riffs in Australian music....and Tim Rogers is the classic frontman!

But with music, its different strokes for different folks as they say :thumbup:
Only one coffee x(
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

I've tried hard with You Am I, but they just don't work for me. Often they sound like grown men belting out high school tunes. Then they flip it by adding brass and that doesn't click either. Strange band that keeps missing the mark, IMO. But each to their own as L. Ron says.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Aside from a couple of songs I always found You Am I to be fairly pedestrian...

In fact, most of the Australian bands that blew up in the mid 90's via JJJ have not aged well...
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

Slim 293 wrote:Aside from a couple of songs I always found You Am I to be fairly pedestrian...

In fact, most of the Australian bands that blew up in the mid 90's via JJJ have not aged well...
Rockin out with Airborne at the moment. ACDC lite they maybe but i like acca dacca. In fact off to see them.on sunday 8)
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Love me Acca Dacca but can't bear Airbourne. Initially thought they were a pisstake tribute band.
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

mr bungle wrote:Love me Acca Dacca but can't bear Airbourne. Initially thought they were a pisstake tribute band.
Will let you know how the real deal goes. Almost time to add some photos . . .
L. Ron Hubbard

Post by L. Ron Hubbard »

mr bungle wrote:I've tried hard with You Am I, but they just don't work for me. Often they sound like grown men belting out high school tunes. Then they flip it by adding brass and that doesn't click either. Strange band that keeps missing the mark, IMO. But each to their own as L. Ron says.
Yep.

Never missed the mark with me :D

Almost as good as nickelback

Ps have you listened to their early stufff....the sound as ever album is pretty sweet. I can understand why you would struggle with their later albums but there are some great tunes on that album...coprolalia, forever and easy, Rosedale, berlin chair and the title track sound as ever amongst others. Cracking album from 1993.
Last edited by L. Ron Hubbard on Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
themaddog

Post by themaddog »

The Blades Saturday night :nod:
Farva

Post by Farva »

Slim 293 wrote:Aside from a couple of songs I always found You Am I to be fairly pedestrian...

Spiderbait are quite good still although they havent released anything for a long time. Saw Jebediah a few months ago and they played Alightly Odway start to finish and it was great. Frenzal are still fantastic.
Although by and large you are right.
L. Ron Hubbard

Post by L. Ron Hubbard »

Farva wrote:

Spiderbait are quite good still although they havent released anything for a long time. Saw Jebediah a few months ago and they played Alightly Odway start to finish and it was great. Frenzal are still fantastic.

I wont hear a bad word said about tumbleweed.
Farva

Post by Farva »

L. Ron Hubbard wrote:
Farva wrote:

Did I see they are playing gigs again?
L. Ron Hubbard

Post by L. Ron Hubbard »

Farva wrote:
L. Ron Hubbard wrote:
Farva wrote:

Did I see they are playing gigs again?
i saw them about a year ago. Other than that the only time i have seen them was at Taree maccas

Their bass player died a couple of years ago. Used to smoke cones with him post gig. Poor bastard.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

L. Ron Hubbard wrote:
mr bungle wrote:I've tried hard with You Am I, but they just don't work for me. Often they sound like grown men belting out high school tunes. Then they flip it by adding brass and that doesn't click either. Strange band that keeps missing the mark, IMO. But each to their own as L. Ron says.
Yep.

Ps have you listened to their early stufff....the sound as ever album is pretty sweet. I can understand why you would struggle with their later albums but there are some great tunes on that album...coprolalia, forever and easy, Rosedale, berlin chair and the title track sound as ever amongst others. Cracking album from 1993.
That's the album I'm most familiar with. While there's some ok riffs it just doesn't meld well to me. He's not a very melodic singer and there are even times when he sounds like he's singing a completely different tune to the band.

I also like more melancholy in my rock. YAI are quite uppity rock and just don't have the hooks nor the depth to their sound. Check out Black Rebel Motorcycle Club if you haven't already. They're riffy but with a lot of what YAI are missing.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

I like some Tumbleweed :thumbup:

Slim will be talking more of Powderfinger, Jebidiah, Grinspoon, Spiderbait, Killing Heidi, Silverchair.

Mostly shite.

Aus needs Humphrey B. Flaubert & Ron Hitler-Barassi to make a return.

http://youtu.be/D4QAdJ4ei7E
Farva

Post by Farva »

I saw Paul Dempsey last weekend...

Anyway, TISM are shit.
L. Ron Hubbard

Post by L. Ron Hubbard »

Never got TISM at all.

mates of mine loved them....i was quite the opposite.

Some clever lyrics but to me, the music is the primary consideration and most of theirs sounded atrocious.
L. Ron Hubbard

Post by L. Ron Hubbard »

mr bungle wrote:
L. Ron Hubbard wrote:
Yep.

That's the album I'm most familiar with. While there's some ok riffs it just doesn't meld well to me. He's not a very melodic singer and there are even times when he sounds like he's singing a completely different tune to the band.

I also like more melancholy in my rock. YAI are quite uppity rock and just don't have the hooks nor the depth to their sound. Check out Black Rebel Motorcycle Club if you haven't already. They're riffy but with a lot of what YAI are missing.

I know BRMC well.

Like them. Certainly a different band to YAI

Your description of Why you dont like YAI makes you sound like some sort of pompous art critic :lol:

I like YAI as their music is catchy, easy to listen to and they sing about stuff i relate to.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Spiderbait play the metro in Feb, Im thinking about it....
grievous

Post by grievous »

L. Ron Hubbard wrote:
Farva wrote:

Annadale 3 years ago, awesome gig, theyve toured this year, lost a member too.
L. Ron Hubbard

Post by L. Ron Hubbard »

grievous wrote:

Spiderbait play the metro in Feb, Im thinking about it....

I would be keen

Currently at You Am I

Anyone who doesnt recognise that the riff to sound as ever is catchy as fudge is a fool. There i said it

:uhoh: morning after now.....my head....dang. these mid week gigs are a killer.

Great night though
Last edited by L. Ron Hubbard on Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocketz

Post by Rocketz »

MOTÖRHEAD THIS WEEKEND

Last chance saloon. I doubt that Lemmy will be around in 24 months at the most! Taking my kids to see them

mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Farva wrote:
Anyway, TISM are shit.
http://youtu.be/szDOzLkqhm4
Rossco

Post by Rossco »

mr bungle wrote:
Rossco wrote:
mr bungle wrote:Tickets booked to Kurt Vile in Queenstown in Jan. Not sure how he'll translate live. But great that we're getting solid acts down south.
Off to see him in Glasgow next week. :thumbup:
Cool, pretty sure he's playing solo in QT. Let me know how you enjoy it.
Wasn't too shabby. Venue was as big box so th music gets a bit lost. Kurt and the band were constantly fannying around with the boys in the Sound Deck between songs too. Think he's much better suited to a more intimate venue.