@ Twickenham, London

Match Officials
ImageImageImageImage
Referee: Romain Poite FFR
AR1: George Clancy IRFU
AR2: Marius Mitrea FIR
TMO: Shaun Veldsman SARU

Weather
Fine with partial cloud cover. Light winds from the South.

Max: 17 ° C
Min: 10 ° C

Coach: Stuart Lancaster
Captain: Chris Robshaw

Lineup:

1. Joe Marler, 2. Tom Youngs, 3. Dan Cole. 4. Joe Launchbury, 5. Geoff Parling, 6. Tom Wood, 7. Chris Robshaw (c), 8. Ben Morgan;

9. Ben Youngs, 10. Owen Farrell, 11. Jonny May, 12. Brad Barritt, 13. Jonathon Joseph, 14. Anthony Watson, 15. Mike Brown.

16. Rob Webber, 17. Mako Vunipola, 18. Kieran Brookes, 19. George Kruis, 20. Nick Easter, 21. Richard Wigglesworth, 22. George Ford, 23. Sam Burgess.

Coach: Micheal Cheika
Captain: Stephen Moore

Lineup:

1. Scott Sio, 2. Stephen Moore (c), 3. Sekope Kepu, 4. Kane Douglas, 5. Rob Simmons, 6. Scott Fardy, 7. Michael Hooper (vc), 8. David Pocock;

9. Will Genia, 10. Bernard Foley, 11. Rob Horne, 12. Matt Giteau, 13. Tevita Kuridrani, 14. Adam Ashley-Cooper (vc), 15. Israel Folau.

16. Tatafu Polata-Nau, 17. James Slipper, 18. Greg Holmes, 19. Dean Mumm, 20. Ben McCalman, 21. Nick Phipps, 22. Matt Toomua, 23. Kurtley Beale.

Last edited by kiap on Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:06 pm, edited 16 times in total.
kiap

Re: ENGLAND vs AUSTRALIA: Pool A, RWC Oct 3 Twickenham

Post by kiap »

Righto. Five-and-a-bit days to go, needs a thread.

This is the big one!
Brian9848

Post by Brian9848 »

If England lose two of their 3 back rowers (Vunipola/Morgan to injury and Wood to suspension), the Pooper will be too much to contain and Aus outside backs running off turnover ball will do serious damage.
Croft

Post by Croft »

Just seeing the title gave me nerves a bit.

Heart flutter.

England by 9.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Pessimistic about this one. England will throw everything at this, much like the ABs did in Auckland.

For Oz to win:
1. Scrum and lineout parity needed (no way the Wobs will actually be dominant).
2. Foley has his kicking boots on.
3. The backline has some fluency in attack.

All possible, but the odds in the Poms favour.

What the bookies' odds at the moment?
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

This will be a cracker. The Oz team selection will be very interesting. Great to have these do or die games now... for a neutral
towny

Post by towny »

Australia will do well if we don't drop the pill all night

btw, I'll be at the game.

#nobiggie
kiap

Post by kiap »

towny wrote:Australia will do well if we don't drop the pill all night

btw, I'll be at the game.

#nobiggie
:thumbup:

#jammycunt
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

From GAGR
THE WALLABIES’ RECORD UNDER GROUP OF DEATH REFEREES
ROMAIN POITE – THE SCRUM MISER – REFEREE VS ENGLAND

Remember the Wallabies’ harrowing losses to the British & Irish Lions in Sydney (16 – 41) or the All Blacks in Auckland (20 – 51)? Monsieur Poite was the referee in charge of both of those games. It’s safe to say that our record under Poite is not good. When we have lost, we have lost heavily – conceding 10 tries to 3 in the process.

The most worrying statistic is that we only win 71.67% of our own scrum ball under Poite, compared with an overall 79.57% over the same period. This is the worst scrum percentage that we have under all referees in this period. This is a particular concern as we will face a very strong English scrum in the Twickenham cauldron where the perception of a weak scrum is likely to be hugely significant. The English also have a promising 67% win record under Poite over the same period.

However, a relieving fact is that our only victory under Poite came against the English at Twickenham in 2012 (20 – 14).
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

Cry God for Harry, England, and Saint George and the stock market apparently

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... lions.html
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Checked the odds.

Sportsbet:

England $1.70
Australia $2.15

Tom Waterhouse:

England $1.68
Australia $2.20

Seems about right. Would be a bit of an upset if Oz pull it off, but not massive.
Emirsohail

Post by Emirsohail »

Massive game this, England media and fans are quick to push the last chance saloon mantra and how that will fire the team up. I guess that's all they have now. Can't see how the Wallabies will be any different and expect them to be equally, if not more fired up. A loss to England will mean progression is in the hands of our fellow Pool of Death competitors and dependant on results going in our favour. Cheika's thinking and the entire squads mindset is where it should be as demonstrated in his post Uruguay interview. The Wallabies didn't go to England to come 2nd in our pool and then scrape through 1 or 2 games as that mentality will inevitably just delay our return by a week or 2.
There are no guarantees for the pool winner as this pool is going to take a huge toll on emotional and mental reserves where a slip in performance and concentration in the next stages will cost dearly.
Winner pool A is in with a chance.
Runner up pool A is farked
Best RWC ever
Go the Wallabies, #strongerasone #bringbackbill
towny

Post by towny »

ASMO wrote:Wallabies will stroll this don't kid yourself, they are street ahead of England, it will be a 15 point margin or more to the Wobblies.
You should then make a fortune with the bookies! Let us know how much you won at full time
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

towny wrote:
ASMO wrote:Wallabies will stroll this don't kid yourself, they are street ahead of England, it will be a 15 point margin or more to the Wobblies.
You should then make a fortune with the bookies! Let us know how much you won at full time
I'd be tempted to take a dabble. I reckon the Wobs have got this. They're in as good a position as they possibly could be for this game, that the so called English tight 5 advantage is overblown, in Farooper they've got a definite edge and they only thing they're really lacking is for Kuridrani to find top form. Home advantage will be huge, but the Wobs are used to soaking up pressure and playing on. Like the Welsh they'll be right in it till the final whistle.
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

Emirsohail wrote:Massive game this, England media and fans are quick to push the last chance saloon mantra and how that will fire the team up. I guess that's all they have now. Can't see how the Wallabies will be any different and expect them to be equally, if not more fired up. A loss to England will mean progression is in the hands of our fellow Pool of Death competitors and dependant on results going in our favour. Cheika's thinking and the entire squads mindset is where it should be as demonstrated in his post Uruguay interview. The Wallabies didn't go to England to come 2nd in our pool and then scrape through 1 or 2 games as that mentality will inevitably just delay our return by a week or 2.
There are no guarantees for the pool winner as this pool is going to take a huge toll on emotional and mental reserves where a slip in performance and concentration in the next stages will cost dearly.
Winner pool A is in with a chance.
Runner up pool A is farked
Best RWC ever
Go the Wallabies, #strongerasone #bringbackbill
FFS, towny's hashtags are one thing but there's just no call to be using the ARU ones.
henry

Post by henry »

Finish them.
Leicester Mafia

Post by Leicester Mafia »

Got tickets to this :thumbup:

Don't fancy our chances though :(
Don

Post by Don »

Only game I've wanted the crims to win, ever.
Croft

Post by Croft »

henry wrote:Finish them.
:lol:
fraz

Post by fraz »

Flockwitt wrote: I'd be tempted to take a dabble. I reckon the Wobs have got this. They're in as good a position as they possibly could be for this game, that the so called English tight 5 advantage is overblown, in Farooper they've got a definite edge and they only thing they're really lacking is for Kuridrani to find top form. Home advantage will be huge, but the Wobs are used to soaking up pressure and playing on. Like the Welsh they'll be right in it till the final whistle.
This portmanteau appears to leave Pocock out completely.

I suggest "Hoodycock"
kiap

Post by kiap »

"Pardy Pooper"
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

kiap wrote:"Pardy Pooper"
:lol: we have a winner (we hope)
Eight_Eye

Post by Eight_Eye »

I'd seriously fancy Australia over England if it were not for Romain Poite. He is the worst referee there is. He has gotten away with shockingly one-sided officiating before and he will do so again.

Expect Poite to save England's bacon.
Dai Hard

Post by Dai Hard »

Do it for Wal...Australia, boys!
Marshall Banana

Post by Marshall Banana »

kiap wrote:"Pardy Pooper"
:lol:

That's a keeper...

I really hope you guys win this one!
Jeffry Vegemight

Post by Jeffry Vegemight »

Could go either way.
Folau x-factor and the breakdown to win it for aussie.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Match Officials
Referee: Romain Poite
AR1: George Clancy
AR2: Marius Mitrea
TMO: Shaun Veldsman
Marius who?

Just on M. Poite - his tendency to decide who's better after 2 scrums and then blow the other team off the park is well known but here is a key fact:

M. Poite has cottoned on to Marler angling in and going sideways, penalising him a couple of times against Scotland.
Romain Poite correctly pinged Joe Marler for angling a drive across Euan Murray.

It was an easy spot for the Frenchman, with Marler making absolutely no attempt to drive square and straight.
The link is in the photo - click it to go to the site.

sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

"the big one" or "game of the round" barely describes it. This is a HUGE match. It's hard to imagine the semi finals having more riding on it than this.

The possibility of sending the hosts who up until a week ago were favoured to progress, spiralling out of their own party before they've barely welcomed their guest in the door.

Incredible drama. All the funking pools should be like this really, the only downside would be having mismatches coming out the other end of it.

Amazing to think a depleted Wales holding the cards, the Aussies fancy the joker they're holding, and England scrambling with a bunch of off suit single digits and planning how they're going to bluff through.

I suppose the pool of death was always going to be heartbreak. I didn't expect this though.

Terrific World Cup, simply for the results of the past week!

Go you yellow mthrfckrs. :lol:
metro71

Post by metro71 »

OMG...I'm almost paralysed with indecision...I so desperately want both teams to lose!!!

In all seriousness I think this may be the biggest pool game in RWC history.

As a neutral (Kiwi) I'm just going to sit back, relax and soak up the drama, the spite-fullness, the media denigrations, the paranoia, the conspiracy theories...and hopefully a great game of rugby!

Best of luck to both England and Australia.
Dai Hard

Post by Dai Hard »

Kaplan has tweeted, according to another thread, questioning the decision to award England so many penalties at the scrum. Marler was at fault and yet their cheating was awarded with multiple of 3's.
Croft

Post by Croft »

metro71 wrote:OMG...I'm almost paralysed with indecision...I so desperately want both teams to lose!!!

In all seriousness I think this may be the biggest pool game in RWC history.

As a neutral (Kiwi) I'm just going to sit back, relax and soak up the drama, the spite-fullness, the media denigrations, the paranoia, the conspiracy theories...and hopefully a great game of rugby!

Best of luck to both England and Australia.
:thumbup: Proper rugby man. And a breath of fresh air after so many wankers.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

This is f**king torture
J Man

Post by J Man »

Find it difficult to believe that England are favourites for this. Those Australian odds are looking very alright for a $100 bet...
Croft

Post by Croft »

Chuckles1188 wrote:This is f**k torture
Just think though, if we win and the Welsh lose to Fiji it will all be the other way round the next week. We can "Henry" the Welsh.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

This doesn't really have any current relevance, but I thought it was quite good:

The Man Without Fear

Post by The Man Without Fear »

I think my wife wants to divorce me. She's booked a night out on Saturday, leaving me with the kids again.
covrich

Post by covrich »

Chuckles1188 wrote:This is f**k torture
Weirdly enough I was nervous as fudge for the Wales clash but after that I am not so nervous about this.. I just do not feel we are good enough to do it.. Including all the warm up games we look off colour something has gone wrong over the summer, I almost accept our fate and the shit storm that follows.. which is all good fun..

If we were to win we'd be back in the driving seat but I just cannot see it whatsoever, to me we lose our composure and given this is a bigger test and the pressure is even higher we will fold like a house of cards..
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

The pommy players must be worried about their bank accounts too.

If they lose this they collectively lose some 15k per match for the qtr, plus a 5k bonus, and the chance to pick up 50k each for the semi, and any player who participates in all seven World Cup games would receive a total of £105,000 in match fees, taking their tournament total for winning the World Cup to £216,666 per player.

No pressure lads.

Link

The Telegraph can reveal that Stuart Lancaster’s whole squad will share a bonus of £1,188,292 if they were to go out at the pool stage – an extra payment per player of £38,332. If they were to exit in the quarter-finals, that would rise to £1,343,323 – £43,333 per player. Reaching the semi-finals would trigger a payment of £1,550,000 – £50,000 per player.
tc27

Post by tc27 »

Dai Hard wrote:Kaplan has tweeted, according to another thread, questioning the decision to award England so many penalties at the scrum. Marler was at fault and yet their cheating was awarded with multiple of 3's.
Generally in scrum the side going backwards at a rate of knots cannot expect the penalty.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

England will come out firing in this one. Out muscle the Wallabies who had a soft ride thus far. England by 50.