South African maul - legal? Illegal? (PIC)

All things Rugby
Kid Rock

South African maul - legal? Illegal? (PIC)

Post by Kid Rock »

Refs on the board is this legal or not? I really don't know what to make of this. They did it twice in the game v Samoa and both times it was very effective.

The only way to attack it it seems is to smash burger, otherwise you'd be coming in offside.
tiddle

Re: South African maul - legal? Illegal? (PIC)

Post by tiddle »

it depends on how the ball is transfer to the tail. if burger has possession when contact is made with the opposition and then feeds it back, it's legal. otherwise it's considered obstruction.
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

tiddle wrote:it depends on how the ball is transfer to the tail. if burger has possession when contact is made with the opposition and then feeds it back, it's legal. otherwise it's considered obstruction.
Binding Prior to the tackle is illegal though (Flying wedge)
Liathroidigloine

Post by Liathroidigloine »

You could probably ping Du Plessis as he is not "bound" in that his shoulder isn't in contact but that would be nit picking. I'd ping it for looking f**king ugly and against the spirit of the game anyway.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Strictly in this instant according to the law Jannie DuP isn't bound to Flo and this could be blown as truck and trailer

Definition Binding: Grasping firmly another player’s body between the shoulders and the hips with the whole arm in contact from hand to shoulder.
C69

Post by C69 »

Liathroidigloine wrote:You could probably ping Du Plessis as he is not "bound" in that his shoulder isn't in contact but that would be nit picking. I'd ping it for looking f**k ugly and against the spirit of the game anyway.
Yip and we know that world rugby find breaking the spirit of the law just as heinous as breaking the actual laws they set down
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

tiddle wrote:it depends on how the ball is transfer to the tail. if burger has possession when contact is made with the opposition and then feeds it back, it's legal. otherwise it's considered obstruction.
Ball is already with Duane
Keith

Post by Keith »

Liathroidigloine wrote:You could probably ping Du Plessis as he is not "bound" in that his shoulder isn't in contact
This
Cartman

Post by Cartman »

Jannie is just incredibly stupid.
If I was a ref trying to nail SA I'll just watch him all game.
Of course ten minutes into the game he'll have his second yellow, so it won't be too hard to still ref the game properly
ruskeye7

Post by ruskeye7 »

The caterpillar reinvented? Remember the tactic from a few years ago to create more space for the scrumhalf's box kick.
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

Conga-ing with Intent.

They should be sewn into the Human Centipede they are emulating.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Liathroidigloine wrote:You could probably ping Du Plessis as he is not "bound" in that his shoulder isn't in contact but that would be nit picking. I'd ping it for looking f**k ugly and against the spirit of the game anyway.
Fairymuff. You could probably ping every player arriving at the breakdown for not binding.
Kid Rock

Post by Kid Rock »

So if Jannie is bound it's legal? How would you go about defending a 10 man conga line? Just smash the first player to smithereens or try something else?

Also, why is it that when a player goes into contact and it forms into a maul, when it collapses sometimes the opposing team get the scrum but other times the team with the ball get a penalty for the opposing team collapsing it?

The maul area is an absolute mess for me.
ruskeye7

Post by ruskeye7 »

ruskeye7 wrote:The caterpillar reinvented? Remember the tactic from a few years ago to create more space for the scrumhalf's box kick.
Ahhh, the centipede is what I meant.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q= ... 8432700353
OB..

Post by OB.. »

But my main bugbear with this season has been the Saracens human centipede at the breakdown. Their link of seven men or so to give the scrum-half nine yards of space for a box kick is a joke. They lose seven or so runners in the process and for me it is utterly stupid. What has happened to the skill levels of scrum-halves if they can't box kick in a couple of yards? It's just ridiculous and I think Leicester will really target that. We could see the death of the human centipede at Welford Road this weekend!
Austin Healey May 2012 http://en.espn.co.uk/premiership-2011-1 ... 63818.html

Since the team in possession commit more players than their opponents, this cannot be a sensible attacking option. Two defenders drive the front man away and still have more defenders than the ball carrying team has attackers.
OB..

Post by OB.. »

But my main bugbear with this season has been the Saracens human centipede at the breakdown. Their link of seven men or so to give the scrum-half nine yards of space for a box kick is a joke. They lose seven or so runners in the process and for me it is utterly stupid. What has happened to the skill levels of scrum-halves if they can't box kick in a couple of yards? It's just ridiculous and I think Leicester will really target that. We could see the death of the human centipede at Welford Road this weekend!
Austin Healey May 2012 http://en.espn.co.uk/premiership-2011-1 ... 63818.html

Since the team in possession commit more players than their opponents, this cannot be a sensible attacking option. Two defenders drive the front man away and still have more defenders than the ball carrying team has attackers.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Surely it's only really useful for giving the halfback plenty of room to clear the ball? You're not gonna make much ground mauling like that, I'd think.
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

Pretty difficult to see how you could 'come through the middle' of that maul :?
zt1903

Post by zt1903 »

Jensrsa wrote:
Who isn't bound either.
saffer13

Post by saffer13 »

Jensrsa wrote:
But it's impossible to tell, from one still photo, what happened before that...is this the very first couple seconds of the maul or is this after mauling it downfield for 20m already...how did it start, etc.?

That being said, Jannie deserves a red card and 5 game suspension.
Insane_Homer

Post by Insane_Homer »

17.4 OFFSIDE AT THE MAUL
(f) When players of the team who are not in possession of the ball in the maul voluntarily leave
the maul such that there are no players of that team left in the maul, the maul may
continue
and there are two offside lines. The offside line for the team in possession runs
through the hindmost foot of the hindmost player in the maul and for the team not in
possession it is a line that runs through the foremost foot of the foremost player of the
team in possession at the maul.
Sanction: Penalty kick
unlike England who against Fiji 'changed lanes'
Springer

Post by Springer »

Perfectly legal until a referee deems it not to be.
Splat

Post by Splat »

Kid Rock wrote:Refs on the board is this legal or not? I really don't know what to make of this. They did it twice in the game v Samoa and both times it was very effective.

The only way to attack it it seems is to smash burger, otherwise you'd be coming in offside.
Legal & exemplifies what is wrong with the laws today on this
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

ruskeye7 wrote:The caterpillar reinvented? Remember the tactic from a few years ago to create more space for the scrumhalf's box kick.
Why bother when you can set a ruck and have all kinds of guys nowhere near the ruck just blocking for the scrumhalf?
Taranaki Snapper

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

Illegal, immoral and racist...
Diego

Post by Diego »

Well for starters that's not a maul as there's only one Samoan there.
Insane_Homer

Post by Insane_Homer »

Diego wrote:Well for starters that's not a maul as there's only one Samoan there.
Wrong. A single defender can create a maul.
DEFINITIONS
A maul begins when a player carrying the ball is held by one or more opponents,
and one or more of the ball carrier’s team mates bind on the ball carrier. A maul
therefore consists, when it begins, of at least three players
So a min of 1 defender + 2 attackers = a maul

2 defenders + attacker = tackle
Diego

Post by Diego »

I stand corrected.
Johnny Marrmight

Post by Johnny Marrmight »

Sarries used to do this a few seasons back.....it's called the caterpillar

Stopped doing it for some reason
Killer Rabbit

Post by Killer Rabbit »

Is it legal to attack the player at the front of the queue and drive him sideways, one defensive player could achieve this if they drove in the right direction? The player behind would have to release the front man quickly or the caterpillar would turn to the side and potentially more than just the first man would peel off. Why try to drive straight against the attacking team where they are the strongest?

KR
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Jensrsa wrote:
If the ball started with Vermeulen, though rarely policed, it is definitely illegal.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Referees should be policing the binding strictly.

The guy bound on JdP is spot on as is 6's bind on Burger.
saffer13

Post by saffer13 »

goeagles wrote:
Why bother when you can set a ruck and have all kinds of guys nowhere near the ruck just blocking for the scrumhalf?
Agree, that blocking never gets called. As a saffa I'd love them to ban blocking....it will force us to abandon the box kick after a 20m driving maul. :x
Râguebi

Post by Râguebi »

Magpie26 wrote:Pretty difficult to see how you could 'come through the middle' of that maul :?
:)
Râguebi

Post by Râguebi »

Kid Rock wrote:Refs on the board is this legal or not? I really don't know what to make of this. They did it twice in the game v Samoa and both times it was very effective.

Indian row maul?
metro71

Post by metro71 »

Should be illegal more to the point.....the only things missing are the shackles and chains between their legs.
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

It'd be pretty easy to splinter that maul
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

refs will ping people for not engaging and then standing by the scrummy - but not this. Interesting and shows who still makes the laws.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Can't tell from a still image. If the ball started at the front and was moved legally backwards, as well as Samoa bound at the start then it's legal.