The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

All things Rugby
giojuarez666

Re: The Rugby Strength and Conditioning Thread

Post by giojuarez666 »

I am down from 99.7kg as of 1st of Jan to 93.1kg today pre workout.

Probably consuming 50-60% of the calories I was in the 4th Quarter of 2012. Feel great
The Native

Post by The Native »

ElementFreak wrote:Just got back from the gym.

Tonight we did some clean and jerks working up to a 1RM, I got 67.5kg which I am happy with.

Then did Grace (30 C&J at 60kg for time): 8:37 was my time.

Finished off with some tabata burpees, all in all I am f**ked.

Also might have talked the coach into doing a hero WOD tomorrow, he hinted at Murph.
That's a good effort considering your 1RM is 67.5kg. Last time I did Grace I think I was 4:30 or thereabouts. Power Cleaning then using the dip to Push Jerk the weight up really help with getting a good time. I think I'll hit triple digits in the C&J soon and I'm aiming to hit at least body-weight in the snatch by the end of the year.

Murph is really tough. Are you going the vest route? I think the last time I did it I clocked in between 45 to 47mins with a vest.

If I can make one suggestion, break down the pull ups, push ups and squats into 25 mini-rounds o 4-8-12 each.
giojuarez666 wrote:I am down from 99.7kg as of 1st of Jan to 93.1kg today pre workout.

Probably consuming 50-60% of the calories I was in the 4th Quarter of 2012. Feel great
:thumbup:
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

The Native wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:Just got back from the gym.

Tonight we did some clean and jerks working up to a 1RM, I got 67.5kg which I am happy with.

Then did Grace (30 C&J at 60kg for time): 8:37 was my time.

Finished off with some tabata burpees, all in all I am f**ked.

Also might have talked the coach into doing a hero WOD tomorrow, he hinted at Murph.
That's a good effort considering your 1RM is 67.5kg. Last time I did Grace I think I was 4:30 or thereabouts. Power Cleaning then using the dip to Push Jerk the weight up really help with getting a good time. I think I'll hit triple digits in the C&J soon and I'm aiming to hit at least body-weight in the snatch by the end of the year.

Murph is really tough. Are you going the vest route? I think the last time I did it I clocked in between 45 to 47mins with a vest.

If I can make one suggestion, break down the pull ups, push ups and squats into 25 mini-rounds o 4-8-12 each.
Yeah I was pretty happy with it, I was able to knock out 6 in the first minute and then 3-4 every minute after that.

Nah I am not going to be wearing a vest, although I am going to wear my HRM to see what my HR and calories are like across it.

I was thinking about either doing 20 rounds of Cindy, or doing it like this:
First 10 rounds - 5 pull ups, 10 push ups, 25 squats
Next 10 rounds - 5 pull ups, 10 push ups, 5 squats

I have heard this helps the legs for the next mile run.
The Native

Post by The Native »

ElementFreak wrote:Yeah I was pretty happy with it, I was able to knock out 6 in the first minute and then 3-4 every minute after that.

Nah I am not going to be wearing a vest, although I am going to wear my HRM to see what my HR and calories are like across it.

Looks like a good strategy. I know when I started the last run it was just a case of putting one foot in front of the other and I got stronger as it went on.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

The Native wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:Yeah I was pretty happy with it, I was able to knock out 6 in the first minute and then 3-4 every minute after that.

Looks like a good strategy. I know when I started the last run it was just a case of putting one foot in front of the other and I got stronger as it went on.
It's the push ups that are going to kill me.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I did a fair bit of isolation work on my triceps yesterday and I'm feeling it today. I also didn't go to the gym this morning. I had a gig last night and didn't have a decent dinner. I also had a shitty breakfast.

Looks like it's a lunchtime hard session for me.

I also really need to bump up the cardio. I want to cut and lose some fat so the diet is getting an overhaul.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Thomas wrote:I did a fair bit of isolation work on my triceps yesterday and I'm feeling it today. I also didn't go to the gym this morning. I had a gig last night and didn't have a decent dinner. I also had a shitty breakfast.

I also really need to bump up the cardio. I want to cut and lose some fat so the diet is getting an overhaul.
Keto is great for a cut, but paleo is better if you are working out I have found.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

ElementFreak wrote:
Thomas wrote:I did a fair bit of isolation work on my triceps yesterday and I'm feeling it today. I also didn't go to the gym this morning. I had a gig last night and didn't have a decent dinner. I also had a shitty breakfast.

Keto is great for a cut, but paleo is better if you are working out I have found.
Yeah, Keto is not going to happen. Possible paleo but I think I'll just reduce my calorie intake first.
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

Is 4 times a week enough when bulking doing 2 body parts a day... or would 5 be more appropriate?
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Wendigo7 wrote:Is 4 times a week enough when bulking doing 2 body parts a day... or would 5 be more appropriate?
What sort of rep/set pattern. Eat and sleep lots.
binge90

Post by binge90 »

Thomas wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:

Yeah, Keto is not going to happen. Possible paleo but I think I'll just reduce my calorie intake first.
Keto is shit buzz, your lifts go into the absolute doldrums...but it is hilariously effective if you're lifting regularly. I say hilarious, because I actually laugh and how quickly I leaned up on it the one time I went on it. I'll be doing it again.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

binge90 wrote:
Thomas wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:

Keto is shit buzz, your lifts go into the absolute doldrums...but it is hilariously effective if you're lifting regularly. I say hilarious, because I actually laugh and how quickly I leaned up on it the one time I went on it. I'll be doing it again.
Yep, the speed in which you lean up is amazing. In the 12 weeks before my wedding I went from 98kg to 82kg and was still pretty fit. I did notice my pull up numbers going up in that time due to weight loss.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I have moderately high cholesterol and blood pressure and am a bit wary about a high fat/low carb diet.

It's just really goddamn hard with 2 kids and a wife who prepares all my meals.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Thomas wrote:I have moderately high cholesterol and blood pressure and am a bit wary about a high fat/low carb diet.

Have you tried getting the wife on board with paleo? Girls seem to like paleo more than keto.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

ElementFreak wrote:
Thomas wrote:I have moderately high cholesterol and blood pressure and am a bit wary about a high fat/low carb diet.

Have you tried getting the wife on board with paleo? Girls seem to like paleo more than keto.
Yeah, she thinks its a pile of horse shit/fad diet. She also loves her carbs. LOOOOVES them.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Agree about the kids etc (always the toast and stuff!)... though when I went low carb my Cholestrol dropped significantly ...
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

bimboman wrote:

Agree about the kids etc (always the toast and stuff!)... though when I went low carb my Cholestrol dropped significantly ...
I went low-ish carbs when I had a mild health scare late last year. My wife was miserable but I enjoyed it. I also quite enjoyed going vegetarian for 4 dinners out of 7.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Thomas wrote:
bimboman wrote:

I went low-ish carbs when I had a mild health scare late last year. My wife was miserable but I enjoyed it. I also quite enjoyed going vegetarian for 4 dinners out of 7.

I do 2 Veggie days a week (non training days though). My miss's took quite well to it though, added pulses , Brasicas, my diet has been shit really since xmas (though much better than my Pizza and kebab days), hopefully back to work in 2 weeks and will get away from the fridge during the day.
Dubya Howard

Post by Dubya Howard »

Thomas wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:

Yeah, she thinks its a pile of horse shit/fad diet. She also loves her carbs. LOOOOVES them.
Sounds like my wife! 2 kids as well. Actually sounds like my life, do you masturbate lots?

My wife is around 50kgs, no ideal where the food goes, so she eats pretty much anything she likes! My cholesterol was high as well (above 5). My father died of a heart attack at a young age (51), and I had some chest issues in the past, so doctor sent me to a cardiologist, who sent me for a CT Angiogram, which showed I had soft plaque build-up in some of my arteries. So they sent me to a dieticaian as well (stress test and other shit too), so took my wife along (because she does most of the cooking), so that made her changed things up! I'm pretty fit anyway (my body fat % is 11%) so it wasn't about portion sizes it was more about what we eat.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Dubya Howard wrote:
Thomas wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:

Sounds like my wife! 2 kids as well. Actually sounds like my life, do you masturbate lots?

My wife is around 50kgs, no ideal where the food goes, so she eats pretty much anything she likes! My cholesterol was high as well (above 5). My father died of a heart attack at a young age (51), and I had some chest issues in the past, so doctor sent me to a cardiologist, who sent me for a CT Angiogram, which showed I had soft plaque build-up in some of my arteries. So they sent me to a dieticaian as well (stress test and other shit too), so took my wife along (because she does most of the cooking), so that made her changed things up! I'm pretty fit anyway (my body fat % is 11%) so it wasn't about portion sizes it was more about what we eat.
What did the dietitian recommend?
Dubya Howard

Post by Dubya Howard »

ElementFreak wrote:
Dubya Howard wrote:
Thomas wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:

What did the dietitian recommend?
What you would expect

Cut back on saturated fats, more polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats. Fish (salmon. tuna etc) walnuts, pine nuts, brazil nuts, whole grains, avocado, olive oil and margarine

She recommended these. My cholesterol is at 3 now. (Though I am on some drugs as well)

Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

DL & Pull ups today

DL - 6x60, 6x80, 5x100, 3x120, 3x130, 1x140, 2x145x3
Pull Up - +5kg x5x3
Romanian DL - 85x8x2 superset w hammer grip chin ups (only managed 4 & 3)
Single arm DB row - 40x8x2

Spent 20 mins warming down & rolling various body parts. Felt good.

Bit disappointed with the DL worksets - was supposed to be 3x3 at 145 but failed on 1st & 2nd set & didn't attempt on 3rd. Will try again next week, was still a bit sore from yesterday. But I think I'm starting reach my limits with the 3x5 (or 3x3 with DL) in bench, squat & DL. Still going up with pull ups but not for long I suspect. Once I've plateaued I'll look at changing it up - might do that 'limping into October' program again with a better base this time (will just look at maintaining bench & pull ups while doing that).
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Lads who use hook grip, did you find you had an aching pain in your thumb for a while? I have started using it over the last 3 weeks and my thumb just feels like shit all the time at the moment.
Mat the Expat

Post by Mat the Expat »

I'd recommend Primal (Marksdailyapple) rather than Pure Paleo if you find it hard.

Cholesterol is hereditary - I have highish Cholesterol as well. It dropped when I was doing Primal.
The Native

Post by The Native »

ElementFreak wrote:Lads who use hook grip, did you find you had an aching pain in your thumb for a while? I have started using it over the last 3 weeks and my thumb just feels like shit all the time at the moment.
You do get used to it. My biggest thumb issue now is getting blisters when doing a lot of Snatch work.

Did a "baseline" WOD of:

- 500m row
- 40 Squats
- 30 Sit ups
- 20 Push ups
- 10 Pull Ups

Time was 4:33 (Row 134.8 ) which I'm pretty disappointed with. Was aiming for sub-4:00.
binge90

Post by binge90 »

Thomas wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:

Birds adore carbs.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

binge90 wrote:Birds adore carbs.
Not mine. :smug:

I like them though. :((
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Murph is a hero!!!!

Was able to finish it in 55:37 although wasn't allowed to partition it, my triceps are are smoked now.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

I found these Total Rugby vids while browsing Youtube last night - some amazing results with this guy in just 6 weeks. Plus I know the personal trainer [/Globus]

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWnmInl-7JI

Parts 2/3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRBTTodz1dw

Parts 4/5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqMtNnEhY_Y

Parts 6/7 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRW1iAhF-uc
Armchair_Superstar

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

I ended up doing similar weights work-outs 3 days in a row this week. I was away with work with no bike, and can't stand gym cardio any more. I had to go a bit easy on the leg stuff as my back was giving out a bit, but the volume seems to have had a positive effect. Day 3 of chins was interesting :uhoh:

I have always been a bit fixated on "routine" as an essential for "good training". I am starting to realise that attempting to create a routine doesn't work particularly well with my lifestyle and personality. I seem to get my best results from eating clean, training hard when I feel like it and resting/recovering if my motivation is low. Up to 13 stone 11 at the minute but that will drop off with the longer evenings arriving and the bike taking over from the gym a bit.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Bobbity you will like this :

Squat : 60kg, x 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1, (10 secs rest under 5 rep).

DB shoulder press 22.5 x 12,12,9

HAM CURLS : 70 X 15 X 3

Clean and press : Bar only

3 x 12
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Worst doms ever :thumbdown:

After rugby training tuesday night my thighs are only just easing, not the quads, the actual top of the leg! Must have pulled them both i think? I never get doms....
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

DragsterDriver wrote:Worst doms ever :thumbdown:

After rugby training tuesday night my thighs are only just easing, not the quads, the actual top of the leg! Must have pulled them both i think? I never get doms....

Rumble Roller or some sort of foam rollers are your friends (well not at the time of doing them)
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

I've actually been doing the bodybuilder walk :blush: thinking about it though, with the snow and bad weather i haven't run at all since the week before christmas. Off to google foam roller....
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

DragsterDriver wrote:I've actually been doing the bodybuilder walk :blush: thinking about it though, with the snow and bad weather i haven't run at all since the week before christmas. Off to google foam roller....

A cricket ball? or hockey ball might be just as good and some you can get you hands on today, something that rolls and can take your body weight and with a small bit of give. You will probably hate me when you are doing it though.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

So it turns out the best way to recover from a heavy DL & Pull Up session ISN'T to have a bbq and down a bunch of beers and a bottle of merlot. I figured if I drank Sol with a wedge of lime in it, I was being healthy.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Just bought some of this

Will be interesting to see how it goes.
mr flaps

Post by mr flaps »

ElementFreak wrote:Just bought some of this

Will be interesting to see how it goes.

I've heard good things about that stuff.
Hong Kong

Post by Hong Kong »

some may have seen this on FB...

insane ultra "best bodyweight exercise"
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Hong Kong wrote:some may have seen this on FB...

insane ultra "best bodyweight exercise"
I have seen it. Seems to me that a fair few fit in the 'look what I can do' category rather than actually being a 'best bodyweight exercise'.