The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

All things Rugby
Mat the Expat

Re: The Training Thread

Post by Mat the Expat »

Toilet Duck wrote:Lots of chins and dips tonight, making full use of the facilities by Santa Monica pier. Could get used to this.
It's a top spot isn't it?
Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck »

I love it, very inspirational for bodyweight training. Not a dumbell in sight, but the physiques look very useful.

Plus it's just a great place to hang out.
The Native

Post by The Native »

ElementFreak wrote:
The Native wrote:Yeah. Or get a roof/wall mounted chin station. I've also got some gymnastic rings, weighted vest and 2x16, 2x24 and 2x32kg KBs and I've got a Rogue Fitness Speed Rope through my CF box on order so I'm not lacking in equipment!
I used to have 2x20kg kettlebells but I gave one away to my brother in law, I will be buying a 16 and 24 soon. I need a decent speed rope, I just got a generic one at the moment and it does the job but I would like a nicer one.
I think it was a bit OTT me getting so many KB's but the Speed Rope will be very handy because often when you do double unders in a WOD the normal ropes really fry your forearms and/or shoulders.
Mat the Expat

Post by Mat the Expat »

Toilet Duck wrote:I love it, very inspirational for bodyweight training. Not a dumbell in sight, but the physiques look very useful.

Only problem is you need to drive anywhere else.

Good Pub there though
Womack

Post by Womack »

Toilet Duck wrote:I love it, very inspirational for bodyweight training. Not a dumbell in sight, but the physiques look very useful.

Have I missed something - have you moved there or just on holiday?

Do some rope climbing, swinging on flying rings, and making human pyramids!

Womack

Post by Womack »

The Native wrote:I'd love a power cage EF. But I'll be doing a lot of chins at CF and I don't have the space or spare cash for one. I'll mainly be doing Squats and Squat variations, Deadlifts and Overhead lifts. Basically stuff that'll enhance my Oly lifts.
I'm still half thinking of clearing out my garage and training there. Training at my brother's garage gym is cool but there is no clearance for overhead lifting. I'm using bands for overhead stuff which works but is somehow unsatisfactory, as there's no way of knowing exactly what you're lifting. I've never been a fan of seated overhead lifting, either.

The problems with using my own garage are:
1) The thought of clearing it out fills me with a deep sense of depression and foreboding
2) Would prefer not to use a full cage as it would eat into the space too much
3) And therefore, I'd have nowhere to do pull-ups.

Still, for now if I can get over point 1), I think I may make enough space to be able to use squat stands and an oly bar, then maybe do one overhead/putative Oly session a week in the garage, and two sessions round at his gym for everything else. I've been thinking of moving to 3 days a week anyway. The only problem is the expense, the wife will not see the need for it. But hey ho, she'll be happy I cleared space in the garage, so swings and roundabouts.
Freddie Forearm

Post by Freddie Forearm »

EZ Curl 10x30,3x10x40
DB Preacher 6x20,22,24,26,28
Curl Station 3x10x100
Seated Tri Pushdown 3x10x105
Rev Grip Tri Pulldown 3x10x40
DB Skulls 3x10x50
Back Squat 4x6x100

Biked to gym and back as warmup/cooldown
odave

Post by odave »

Womack wrote:
The Native wrote:I'd love a power cage EF. But I'll be doing a lot of chins at CF and I don't have the space or spare cash for one. I'll mainly be doing Squats and Squat variations, Deadlifts and Overhead lifts. Basically stuff that'll enhance my Oly lifts.
I'm still half thinking of clearing out my garage and training there. Training at my brother's garage gym is cool but there is no clearance for overhead lifting. I'm using bands for overhead stuff which works but is somehow unsatisfactory, as there's no way of knowing exactly what you're lifting. I've never been a fan of seated overhead lifting, either.

The problems with using my own garage are:
1) The thought of clearing it out fills me with a deep sense of depression and foreboding
2) Would prefer not to use a full cage as it would eat into the space too much
3) And therefore, I'd have nowhere to do pull-ups.

Still, for now if I can get over point 1), I think I may make enough space to be able to use squat stands and an oly bar, then maybe do one overhead/putative Oly session a week in the garage, and two sessions round at his gym for everything else. I've been thinking of moving to 3 days a week anyway. The only problem is the expense, the wife will not see the need for it. But hey ho, she'll be happy I cleared space in the garage, so swings and roundabouts.
why not just get a separate pull up bar for the wall/door?
bobbity

Post by bobbity »

odave wrote: why not just get a separate pull up bar for the wall/door?

Cue womack is fat joke. But, have you done weighted chins on yours? Think we have the same model, and tbh, I'd be a bit nervous of chaining the 32kg KB on myself and hanging off it.
Womack

Post by Womack »

It's a possibility, I'm just slightly doubtful whether one of those doorframe pull-up bars would take my weight!
Anjin

Post by Anjin »

Womack wrote:It's a possibility, I'm just slightly doubtful whether one of those doorframe pull-up bars would take my weight!
Could you get a wall mounted one or no room for that either?

Also occassionally on ebay a cheap power rack comes up, worth having a look. Got mine plus 145 olympic weights set for £150 - i felt i had raped the seller when i handed cash over.
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

Anyone have any links to some good sprint training programs?
odave

Post by odave »

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:Anyone have any links to some good sprint training programs?
i'm a fan of barry ross' approach and it's worked absolute wonders with some of my athletes.

http://www.sprintstrong.com/2010/01/bar ... rview.html

google him and find some stuff.

the research as i understand it shows that normal sprints, resisted sprints, overspeed sprints, contrast sprints and plyometrics all work to increase speed but the best results have been shown with a combination of all.

http://www.scienceinperformance.com/1/p ... speed.html

just off to play with our new grappler - will post gurning pics later
Womack

Post by Womack »

Anjin wrote:
Womack wrote:It's a possibility, I'm just slightly doubtful whether one of those doorframe pull-up bars would take my weight!
Could you get a wall mounted one or no room for that either?

Also occassionally on ebay a cheap power rack comes up, worth having a look. Got mine plus 145 olympic weights set for £150 - i felt i had raped the seller when i handed cash over.
A wall mounted one would probably work, there's a brick wall I could mount it on. I'll look into it.

I've never had any joy trying to get cheap weights on ebay (or cheap anything for that matter), any auction I'm involved in always ends up going sky high for some reason. Should really keep an eye out though, you never know.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Right a weak day in my swiss muscle head gym :

Squat : 10 x 30 x 3

Bench : 6,5 x 40, 5,5 x 45 , 6 x 50.

Lat pull 5 x 55, 5 x 60

hamstring curls : 3 x 10kg each leg.

Hammer curls 5,10,5,3 :blush: X 20kg.

Good eating and fell ok. Though still feel my squat is crap (which it is).
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

odave wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:Anyone have any links to some good sprint training programs?
i'm a fan of barry ross' approach and it's worked absolute wonders with some of my athletes.

http://www.sprintstrong.com/2010/01/bar ... rview.html

google him and find some stuff.

the research as i understand it shows that normal sprints, resisted sprints, overspeed sprints, contrast sprints and plyometrics all work to increase speed but the best results have been shown with a combination of all.

http://www.scienceinperformance.com/1/p ... speed.html

just off to play with our new grappler - will post gurning pics later

You sir are a legend, thank you very much will give it a read tonight. :thumbup:
The Native

Post by The Native »

Bit of a silly question but if I were to lift for strength 2 or 3 times a week in the morning and do a WOD 5 or 6 times a week in the evening and I were to increase my quality calorie intake and rest time, then in theory I would not "burn out" and be able to sustain this pattern for an extended period of time?
Joost

Post by Joost »

Got a powerbar 2 a couple of weeks ago and rate it really highly, hasn't left a mark on the doorframe and I'm circa 95kg
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Started taking inspiration from the T-nation article "Boring But Big" that Bobbs posted a few weeks ago.

Tonight's effort:

Bench press: 80x5, 85x3, 90x2, 95x2, 100x1

DB seated shoulder press: 22.5kg x10x5
BB bent over row: 65kg x10x5

DB hammer curls: 18kg x12 each side x3
EZ bar skull crusher: 30kg x10x3

Wall angels: x12x3
Cable face pulls: 45kg x12x3
bobbity

Post by bobbity »

The Native wrote:Bit of a silly question but if I were to lift for strength 2 or 3 times a week in the morning and do a WOD 5 or 6 times a week in the evening and I were to increase my quality calorie intake and rest time, then in theory I would not "burn out" and be able to sustain this pattern for an extended period of time?

Probably not indefinitely, but with back-offs both planned and on the day decisions, try it and see.

Couldn't be arsed tonight, still really under the weather but the antibiotics seem to have worked.

Chins - 57 in 10 mins. That's all. Going to do some dips in the morning, and some front squats in the evening.
Mat the Expat

Post by Mat the Expat »

Just get one of these:

I was 104Kg when I started and swung on it to test it's strength.

No dramas.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Pull Up Man was at the gym yesterday. He sought me out and smashed out a million pull ups in between my sets of 3 reps. plum. I have found his weakness though. Overhead presses. He can barely get 50kgs up. What a weak baby-man. I can easily lift 55-60kgs for 5 shaky reps.

How I laughed in his face!
Freddie Forearm

The Native wrote:Bit of a silly question but if I were to lift for strength 2 or 3 times a week in the morning and do a WOD 5 or 6 times a week in the evening and I were to increase my quality calorie intake and rest time, then in theory I would not "burn out" and be able to sustain this pattern for an extended period of time?

Personally, I would have thought that if you are trying to build strength and go balls out it would have a negative impact on your CF training, ramp down on that whilst you stengthen up and then try to springboard up after.

*sorry for double quote, using my tablet and its a bit hit and miss sometimes.
Freddie Forearm

Thomas wrote:Pull Up Man was at the gym yesterday. He sought me out and smashed out a million pull ups in between my sets of 3 reps. plum. I have found his weakness though. Overhead presses. He can barely get 50kgs up. What a weak baby-man. I can easily lift 55-60kgs for 5 shaky reps.

How I laughed in his face!
Don't laugh at him, wait til he finishes his presses and say ˝thanks, I need that for my warm up" Bound to piss him off.
The Native

Post by The Native »

Freddie Forearm wrote:
Personally, I would have thought that if you are trying to build strength and go balls out it would have a negative impact on your CF training, ramp down on that whilst you stengthen up and then try to springboard up after.

*sorry for double quote, using my tablet and its a bit hit and miss sometimes.
My bias is still towards CF, but I want to do some strength work that will aid my Oly lifting - Deadlifts, Squats, Front Squats and OHP movements. I was think of training twice a week in the mornings before work (Squat/OHP and Deadlift/Front Squat) and doing the CF Met Con workouts 5 times a week in the evening after work. We do strength bias WOD's about twice a week but it is very rushed as we invariably do a Met Con afterward so I never get to finish my work sets as we share a platform and a bar.

But I see what you mean and that is why I asked about the increase in calories and rest. I don't think there would be any harm in trying it and adjusting to taste.
The Native

Post by The Native »

Crossfit Games Open 12.5 is up - http://games.crossfit.com/workouts/the-open?#tabs-5
MEN - includes Masters Men up to 54 years old

Complete as many reps as possible in 7 minutes following the rep scheme below:
100 pound Thruster, 3 reps
3 Chest to bar Pull-ups
100 pound Thruster, 6 reps
6 Chest to bar Pull-ups
100 pound Thruster, 9 reps
9 Chest to bar Pull-ups
100 pound Thruster, 12 reps
12 Chest to bar Pull-ups
100 pound Thruster, 15 reps
15 Chest to bar Pull-ups
100 pound Thruster, 18 reps
18 Chest to bar Pull-ups
100 pound Thruster, 21 reps
21 Chest to bar Pull-ups...
This is a timed workout. If you complete the round of 21, go on to 24. If you complete 24, go on to 27, etc.

WOMEN - includes Masters Women up to 54 years old

65 pound Thruster, 3 reps
3 Chest to bar Pull-ups
65 pound Thruster, 6 reps
6 Chest to bar Pull-ups
65 pound Thruster, 9 reps
9 Chest to bar Pull-ups
65 pound Thruster, 12 reps
12 Chest to bar Pull-ups
65 pound Thruster, 15 reps
15 Chest to bar Pull-ups
65 pound Thruster, 18 reps
18 Chest to bar Pull-ups
65 pound Thruster, 21 reps
This is a timed workout. If you complete the round of 21, go on to 24. If you complete 24, go on to 27, etc.

MASTERS MEN - includes Masters Men 55+

90 pound Thruster, 3 reps
3 Chest to bar Pull-ups
90 pound Thruster, 6 reps
6 Chest to bar Pull-ups
90 pound Thruster, 9 reps
9 Chest to bar Pull-ups
90 pound Thruster, 12 reps
12 Chest to bar Pull-ups
90 pound Thruster, 15 reps
15 Chest to bar Pull-ups
90 pound Thruster, 18 reps
18 Chest to bar Pull-ups
90 pound Thruster, 21 reps

MASTERS WOMEN - includes Masters Women 55+

55 pound Thruster, 3 reps
3 Chin over bar Pull-ups
55 pound Thruster, 6 reps
6 Chin over bar Pull-ups
55 pound Thruster, 9 reps
9 Chin over bar Pull-ups
55 pound Thruster, 12 reps
12 Chin over bar Pull-ups
55 pound Thruster, 15 reps
15 Chin over bar Pull-ups
55 pound Thruster, 18 reps
18 Chin over bar Pull-ups
55 pound Thruster, 21 reps
21 Chin over bar Pull-ups...

Additional Notes
This workout begins from the standing position with the barbell on the floor and the Athlete standing tall. Using a ball, box or other object to check for proper depth is not allowed. Please be sure to watch the entire workout instruction video for full details. Every rep counts in this workout. You will enter your score as the total number of reps. See the Score Card for assistance in calculating the rep total.

Equipment
To complete this workout you will need:
A barbell that is loaded to the appropriate weight for your division
A pull-up bar
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

The Native wrote:Crossfit Games Open 12.5 is up - http://games.crossfit.com/workouts/the-open?#tabs-5
MEN - includes Masters Men up to 54 years old

100 pound Thruster, 3 reps
3 Chest to bar Pull-ups
100 pound Thruster, 6 reps
6 Chest to bar Pull-ups
100 pound Thruster, 9 reps
9 Chest to bar Pull-ups
100 pound Thruster, 12 reps
12 Chest to bar Pull-ups
100 pound Thruster, 15 reps
15 Chest to bar Pull-ups
100 pound Thruster, 18 reps
18 Chest to bar Pull-ups
100 pound Thruster, 21 reps

WOMEN - includes Masters Women up to 54 years old

65 pound Thruster, 3 reps
3 Chest to bar Pull-ups
65 pound Thruster, 6 reps
6 Chest to bar Pull-ups
65 pound Thruster, 9 reps
9 Chest to bar Pull-ups
65 pound Thruster, 12 reps
12 Chest to bar Pull-ups
65 pound Thruster, 15 reps
15 Chest to bar Pull-ups
65 pound Thruster, 18 reps
18 Chest to bar Pull-ups
65 pound Thruster, 21 reps

MASTERS MEN - includes Masters Men 55+

90 pound Thruster, 3 reps
3 Chest to bar Pull-ups
90 pound Thruster, 6 reps
6 Chest to bar Pull-ups
90 pound Thruster, 9 reps
9 Chest to bar Pull-ups
90 pound Thruster, 12 reps
12 Chest to bar Pull-ups
90 pound Thruster, 15 reps
15 Chest to bar Pull-ups
90 pound Thruster, 18 reps
18 Chest to bar Pull-ups
90 pound Thruster, 21 reps

MASTERS WOMEN - includes Masters Women 55+

55 pound Thruster, 3 reps
3 Chin over bar Pull-ups
55 pound Thruster, 6 reps
6 Chin over bar Pull-ups
55 pound Thruster, 9 reps
9 Chin over bar Pull-ups
55 pound Thruster, 12 reps
12 Chin over bar Pull-ups
55 pound Thruster, 15 reps
15 Chin over bar Pull-ups
55 pound Thruster, 18 reps
18 Chin over bar Pull-ups
55 pound Thruster, 21 reps
21 Chin over bar Pull-ups...

Additional Notes
This workout begins from the standing position with the barbell on the floor and the Athlete standing tall. Using a ball, box or other object to check for proper depth is not allowed. Please be sure to watch the entire workout instruction video for full details. Every rep counts in this workout. You will enter your score as the total number of reps. See the Score Card for assistance in calculating the rep total.

Equipment
To complete this workout you will need:
A barbell that is loaded to the appropriate weight for your division
A pull-up bar
Chest to bar is me out, I will just do regular pull ups to see how I go though.
Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck »

Just here on holiday, was here with some mates a couple of years ago and thats how I ended up building a chin bar in the garden. This time with the wife, think she is a bit bemused by the gymnasticness of it all.

If you mean Deans, yeah it's ace. Was a bit pissed up in there on paddies day.
Mat the Expat

Post by Mat the Expat »

That's the one.

Very good Pool hall on the strip as well
The Native

Post by The Native »

Got a score of 71 on WOD 12.5. So got through 3, 6, 9, 12 and 11 reps into the Thrusters. I had to do the last set of chest to bar pull ups in singles as I was shot from doing unbroken thrusters and chest to bars in the 3 and 6 rep rounds.

I'm trying it again on Saturday and will try a different strategy. You cannot attack this WOD balls out, you have to partition the reps smartly and make sure you're getting enough air because I was blowing hard at the end and was paying for it.

I'm aiming for 80 reps.
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

Anybody got tips on how to prevent lower back pain resulting from deadlifts? I've only recently added these into my routine, and it always feels as if my lower back will snap off. Is it a technique issue?
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Beaver_Shark wrote:Anybody got tips on how to prevent lower back pain resulting from deadlifts? I've only recently added these into my routine, and it always feels as if my lower back will snap off. Is it a technique issue?
Most probably.

Mechanics aside, the best tip I've been given about deadlifts is to take a breath in before the lift and hold it till you've got the weight up (works for a lot of other lifts too, but especially good for dls). Helps you keep your core braced.
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Beaver_Shark wrote:Anybody got tips on how to prevent lower back pain resulting from deadlifts? I've only recently added these into my routine, and it always feels as if my lower back will snap off. Is it a technique issue?
Most probably.

Mechanics aside, the best tip I've been given about deadlifts is to take a breath in before the lift and hold it till you've got the weight up (works for a lot of other lifts too, but especially good for dls). Helps you keep your core braced.
Cheers
Womack

Post by Womack »

And obviously, try to ensure you're using good form. The lower back should be straight throughout, shoulders back, lats tensed, weight on heels, the bar should graze your legs as it goes up (Rugby socks aren't a bad idea as it can be painful on the shins), push through the heels, keep the back engaged, torso angle should remain the same until the bar passes the knees, and don't feel the need to extend too much at the end of the movement. To put the bar back down, reverse the movement, ie as you start to bend at the knee, the torso rotates forward again until bar is at knee level then maintain a constant torso angle and finish the move with your legs.

Like most movements, there's no need to go too heavy at first, and unless you're going for a world record, you should never go heavy at the expense of good form (IMO anyway). Oh, and use flat shoes or bare feet, don't use normal cross-training type trainers (or whatever you saffas call training shoes, was there ever a thing with so many different names?) with a spongy sole and raised heel.
Mitty's Boat

Post by Mitty's Boat »

There's a cheap £30 one which hooks over the door's architrave which might be worth a go. Given that the architrave will be held on by several stout nails, you'd have to be one seriously fat bastard to pull that out. You're not, are you?
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

Womack wrote:And obviously, try to ensure you're using good form. The lower back should be straight throughout, shoulders back, lats tensed, weight on heels, the bar should graze your legs as it goes up (Rugby socks aren't a bad idea as it can be painful on the shins), push through the heels, keep the back engaged, torso angle should remain the same until the bar passes the knees, and don't feel the need to extend too much at the end of the movement. To put the bar back down, reverse the movement, ie as you start to bend at the knee, the torso rotates forward again until bar is at knee level then maintain a constant torso angle and finish the move with your legs.

Like most movements, there's no need to go too heavy at first, and unless you're going for a world record, you should never go heavy at the expense of good form (IMO anyway). Oh, and use flat shoes or bare feet, don't use normal cross-training type trainers (or whatever you saffas call training shoes, was there ever a thing with so many different names?) with a spongy sole and raised heel.
Thanks man. Appreciated.
Womack

Post by Womack »

Mitty's Boat wrote:
There's a cheap £30 one which hooks over the door's architrave which might be worth a go. Given that the architrave will be held on by several stout nails, you'd have to be one seriously fat bastard to pull that out. You're not, are you?
Fairly seriously heavy, at any rate - 116.2 kg according to my highly accurate Argos digital scales this very morning. That should come down a bit over the next few months provided I can maintain a modicum of discipline.

I've had a look at this powerbar as recommended by Joost, and can see that it'd probably be alright as the pressure on the wall/doorframe is evenly distributed. The only trouble is, it's just a flat bar, and I like being able to do neutral grip chins. Anyone know of anything similar but with more hand positioning options?
Mitty's Boat

Post by Mitty's Boat »

Womack wrote:
Mitty's Boat wrote:
Fairly seriously heavy, at any rate - 116.2 kg according to my highly accurate Argos digital scales this very morning. That should come down a bit over the next few months provided I can maintain a modicum of discipline.

I've had a look at this powerbar as recommended by Joost, and can see that it'd probably be alright as the pressure on the wall/doorframe is evenly distributed. The only trouble is, it's just a flat bar, and I like being able to do neutral grip chins. Anyone know of anything similar but with more hand positioning options?
That's the one I've got. It's a pretty effective design and will easily take the weight of a Clydesdale. It's cheap enough to give it a go until you decide you might need something different. When you lose interest in it after a few days Mrs Womack will be able to make use of it as an excellent clothes drying rail as, indeed, Frau Boat did.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

DT, another thing with DLs is that normal muscle soreness the day or two afterwards can be quite debilitating. If you've sore arms or chest you can cope, once your lower back stiffens up it's a lot more noticeable and can impact you more in terms of mobility and so on for a couple of days.
That's not necessarily a bad thing for your back like you've damaged anything; the more you train the less this will happen over time as you get stronger.
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

Nolanator wrote:DT, another thing with DLs is that normal muscle soreness the day or two afterwards can be quite debilitating. If you've sore arms or chest you can cope, once your lower back stiffens up it's a lot more noticeable and can impact you more in terms of mobility and so on for a couple of days.
That's not necessarily a bad thing for your back like you've damaged anything; the more you train the less this will happen over time as you get stronger.
I only started this Monday, and the following day I did a few sets again. Nothing major, just 3 sets of 10 reps of 50kg. Although the weight is not hard to lift, the lower back pain when the bar is halfway off the ground is pretty bad. I must confess that I don't exactly have the strongest back. For example I can do at most 30 crunches before I have to stop because of lower back pain. Are there any specific exercises that I could use to build lower back strength?

Oh, and I skipped gym yesterday. The DOMS on my shoulders and back! :!: