The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

All things Rugby
Nolanator

Re: The Training Thread

Post by Nolanator »

Shit one EF. Will this affect your reffing much for the season, will you miss many opportunities?

This morning:

Squat: 130x5, 135x5, 140x5, 145x3, 150x1

RDLs: 70kg x10x5
Glute-hammie falls: 3x5

Wall cobras (sort of): 2 sets
Plank: 45sec x2 (elbows on gym ball, feet on table)

Worked hard on getting deep enough into the squat. Felt good.
bobbity

Post by bobbity »

I'm withholding the huge rant. All f**king shit though. Just isn't happening training-wise at the moment.

Front squats 75x3 superset with chins bw x6-8. 6 rounds
OHP 50x3 superset with 32kg KB swings x8. 8 rounds
Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck »

First session in the gym after two weeks of f**king about on holiday. Did a few bits while away but no cardio, the treadmill hurt me tonight.

On the plus side I've ordered some stuff off eBay to do some more bodyweight bits with. Didn't like the price of the portable gym rings so I'm going with these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-5m-Med-L ... 6fc4282351

and some PVC piping for handles. Fraction of the price.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

The Native wrote:Tough luck EF. Just look after and try to avoid what I tend to do, get antsy and return to training before you're 100%.
Nolanator wrote:Shit one EF. Will this affect your reffing much for the season, will you miss many opportunities?
Cheers lads, luckily I have a really decent physio who has put in place a really good rehab program for me. She has said I am allowed to do some foam rolling and light stretching at the moment and then from Friday I am allowed to hit the pool and do some 'quick feet' walking in there.

Luckily the season doesn't properly start until late April so I won't miss too many games I don't think. I am just a little annoyed it might mean I miss out on a SupeRugby curtain raiser for a few more weeks.
bobbity

Post by bobbity »

You need a hand cycle EF.

Major excuse to get your feet in the air benching on.
Womack

Post by Womack »

Toilet Duck wrote:First session in the gym after two weeks of f**king about on holiday. Did a few bits while away but no cardio, the treadmill hurt me tonight.

On the plus side I've ordered some stuff off eBay to do some more bodyweight bits with. Didn't like the price of the portable gym rings so I'm going with these

How do you plan to make handles from PVC?

I've seen a method whereby you pass a length of chain through an 8 inch or so bit of PVC pipe, then hook either end of the chain to a carabiner to make a triangular ring. I suppose a simpler method is just to pass the straps themselves through the PVC, saves having to get hold of chain. May give that a go myself like.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

bobbity wrote:You need a hand cycle EF.

Major excuse to get your feet in the air benching on.
There is a hand cycle at the Rebels gym that I sometimes go to. I have some ropes so I reckon some decent tabata ropes and some benching etc will be a good way to keep the cardio up.
Toilet Duck

Post by Toilet Duck »

Womack wrote:
Toilet Duck wrote:First session in the gym after two weeks of f**king about on holiday. Did a few bits while away but no cardio, the treadmill hurt me tonight.

How do you plan to make handles from PVC?

I've seen a method whereby you pass a length of chain through an 8 inch or so bit of PVC pipe, then hook either end of the chain to a carabiner to make a triangular ring. I suppose a simpler method is just to pass the straps themselves through the PVC, saves having to get hold of chain. May give that a go myself like.

The YouTube video on this page has a good guide on making these things. You can probably get the stuff from B&Q but I'm not home till Thursday so I went for the cheaper option on eBay.

http://rosstraining.com/blog/2010/01/13 ... n-trainer/
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Hung over today so did it light and as quick as my little legs would go :

Squats: 2x30x10, 3x35x10

Bench : 5 x 35 x 10

Lat pulls 5 x 55 x 10

leg curls: 3 x 10 x 10

hammer bicurl : 3 x 10 x 20kg.

planks 3 x 30 secs.

eating well today though :)
Womack

Post by Womack »

Tonight:

Deadlift 5x81,3x92,10x104kg

Then my mum arrived home from Tanzania for a couple of weeks so I left it there to go and say hello.

104 for 10 felt reasonably easy, which is nice.
The Native

Post by The Native »

Last nights WOD

A) Strength

Shoulder Press 1RM = 55kg. Disappointing as I managed a 65kg OHP a month before the CF Open but I think my shoulders were fried from the 30 Clean and Jerks I did the day before.

B) ”Sazerac”

AMRAP 10:
6 Power Snatches 52.5/40kg
9 Toes-to-Bar
12 Box Jumps 24/20″

4 rounds + 4 reps as prescribed. I've got a major deficiency when doing anything on a pull up bar meaning my Toes-to-Bars were slowed me right down. Thankfully I can recycle box jumps relatively quickly.

Today's WOD is a "Hero Workout" dedicated to a fallen soldier. I really enjoy these WOD's as they're tough but immensely satisfying.

“Abbate”

For time:
Run 1.6km
21 Clean and jerk 70/52.5kg
Run 800m
21 Clean and jerk
Run 1.6km
The Native

Post by The Native »

I'm going to be away for work for the next month and will be giving a ketogenic diet a crack. Anyone had any experience with it?
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

The Native wrote:I'm going to be away for work for the next month and will be giving a ketogenic diet a crack. Anyone had any experience with it?
Mat has I think. Be prepared to feel like shit for the first few days if all the reports I have read are true.
The Native

Post by The Native »

ElementFreak wrote:
The Native wrote:I'm going to be away for work for the next month and will be giving a ketogenic diet a crack. Anyone had any experience with it?
Mat has I think. Be prepared to feel like shit for the first few days if all the reports I have read are true.
I think Mat said it was shite for a week. Next week might be an enforced deload week as training is going to be very difficult on the road so it may fit in well.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

The Native wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:
I think Mat said it was shite for a week. Next week might be an enforced deload week as training is going to be very difficult on the road so it may fit in well.
If you take a band with you and something small you should be able to do a lot of BW movements to keep the fitness up etc. I don't know if you are the same as me but I hate having to take time off training (which is why used to get injured a lot as I would rush back) and the last 4 days of doing nothing has been a killer. Being away from home and not training would kill me.
The Native

Post by The Native »

ElementFreak wrote:
The Native wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:
If you take a band with you and something small you should be able to do a lot of BW movements to keep the fitness up etc. I don't know if you are the same as me but I hate having to take time off training (which is why used to get injured a lot as I would rush back) and the last 4 days of doing nothing has been a killer. Being away from home and not training would kill me.
I'll take a pair of KB's, a speed rope and my mountain bike as I can carry all those. Maybe even my weighted vest.

I knew all that stuff would come in handy eventually...
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Good idea on the speed rope.
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

Last night

20min on treadmill, 5% slope, speed varied between 8.5 & 11 kph
BP: 3x10x30kg
50x crunches
3x10x40kg on the pec dec machine
The Native

Post by The Native »

The Native wrote: “Abbate”

For time:
Run 1.6km
21 Clean and jerk 70/52.5kg
Run 800m
21 Clean and jerk
Run 1.6km
My time for tonight's WOD 27:18.

Tonight's lesson is don't use a power bar to do high rep clean and jerks as the knurling in the centre of the bar will rub your clavicle raw.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Yesterday evening's session:

Bench press: 80x5, 85x3, 90x2, 95x2 fail at 100, 2 eccentric reps instead.

Seated DB shoulder press: 22.5kg x10x5
T-bar row: 40kg x10x5 (wide grip, elbows reasonably high throughout)

EZ bar curl: 35kg x10x3
EZ bar skullcrusher: 25kg x12x3

Wall angels: x12x3
Cable face pull: 45kg x12x3

Foam rolling to kill time before the bus.

Bench was disappointing, but I knew from the first set that I wouldn't be able to shift the 100kg for whatever reason.
bobbity

Post by bobbity »

Come back down from it for a couple of sessions Nol.

Decided not to waste a fiver and everybodys time at judo tonight. Conditioning at home instead, and it was pitiful but got to restart somewhere

AMRAP in 8 minutes of - chins x5, 24kg KB clean and press x5 each arm, 16kg KB goblet squat x10
- rest 8 minutes -
21-15-9 as fast as possible of 32kg KB swings/push-ups
The Native

Post by The Native »

Testing 1RM Deadlifts tonight. Managed 145kg with perfect form. Could've got 155kg but shoulders lumped forward so dumped the weight. Still relatively happy considering I haven't Deadlifted heavy in 5 months.

WOD

#RFT

- 30 Push Ups
- 30 Calorie Row
- 30 KB Swings @32kg

Time 14:09
Last edited by The Native on Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

Bit of advice needed,I want to buy a foam roller, never used them but heard they are good. which from the below link would be a good recommendation, why are they different lengths? Are the grip foam roller better?

http://www.physioneeds.biz/BrowseProduc ... oam+roller
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

I'd go for the one of the plain 36" rollers. The smaller diameter ones will probably dig in a bit more than wider ones as the pressure will be focussed onto a smaller area of your body when you're rolling. Dunno what size ones they have in the gym here, probably 6" but I can't see it being a major difference.
The oblong ones look like they'd b handy for digging into specific areas but seems unnecessary to me. Get a plain one and if you have trouble getting to isolated knots then use a tennis ball or for more use a sliotar/lacrosse ball.

Yesterday afternoon:

Hang cleans: 60x3, 70x3, 80x3, 90x3, 100x1 (100kg off the floor, failed at 105 a few times)

DLs: 130x5, 140x5, 150x5, 160x3, 170x2 failed at 180

Front squat: 80kg x10x5
Hanging leg raises: x6x5

Was holding the bar and psyched and about to go for the 105kg clean when some bastard appeared right by the end of the bar and proceeded to do dumbell curls there. Completely threw me off focus as I was very aware of him being there and being too close to the bar and I wasn't comfortable going for it. I would have failed at that weight anyway but I got really thick for some reason. They guy completely put me off just as I was about to go for it. Fucker. :frown:

Discovered some cold cajun chicken pieces in the fridge this morning. I discovered that it goes very well with scrambled eggs for brekkie.
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

Cheers Nolan, so basically you are saying if you want to get the most effective ones get the smaller diameter, but these will be more painful one, which I don't mind, I like a bit of pain actually. Thank you muchly :thumbup:
Armchair_Superstar

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

The more expensive rollers with the dense foam are a lot more painful than the lighter-blue cheaper ones. I am using the lighter one whilst I'm away and it isn't as effective and is wearing out a lot quicker than my darker-blue one.

I've been snowboarding the last couple of days, bad leg is holding up to it ok and I think it might actually be quite good for working out some of the imbalances. I am having to do a lot of stretching and mobility anyway!
bobbity

Post by bobbity »

Mobility work, opening up hips
Squat - up to 80kg x20. Easy enough, good start.
Chins - reps in 10mins, 55.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

In at lunch time.

OHP: 50x5, 55x5, 60x4, 65x2, 70x1

DB incline bench: 27.5kg x10x5
Pull ups: BW x7x5

DB hammer curls: 16kg x10 each side x3
Dips: BW x12x3

IYTs: 4kg x12x2
External rotator cuff: 6kg x12x2

Had a quick foam roll afterwards on the legs. Agonising after lots of leg work yesterday.

The ones I use are thissort of colour. Is there a standard enough colour coding guide to how dense they are and how much give they have?
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

Light morning session

Bench Press
3x10x30

Back squat
2x10x30
2x5x40

60 crunches

2x10x30 arm curl

Pec dec machine
2x10x35
2x10x30
Freddie Forearm

Post by Freddie Forearm »

Been a bit slack of late but managed to drag my carcass to the gym this afternoon after I woke up.

Pull Ups 4x6xBW (strict down,pause,up)
Deadlift 10x60,6x100,120,4x140,2x150,1x160,170,180,185 Grip was just failing as I put bar down on last so a slight improvement with my bad hand.
Bent Rows 6x50,60,70,80,85

Seated Tri Pushdown 3x20x75
V Bar Tri Pushdown 3x10x50
O/Head Cable Tri Ext 3x10x40
DB Skulls 3x10x50

Really enjoyed it and hopefully it can sput me back into getting my arse into gear.
Armchair_Superstar

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

Nol those are the darker ones, they are a fair bit denser than the cheaper ones.
bobbity

Post by bobbity »

Strength work - dips bw+32kg x6, 6, 6, 5
Volume - power curls 45x6 on the minute every minute x9
Conditioning - The Eagle, starting again. 16+24 KBs 6x4.
Upper back work - band behind neck pulldowns and band pullaparts

Found a knot in my glute (hur hur) last night, so been foam rolling and hockeyball-ing it today. Quite painful.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Lost our cup game this afternoon. Season properly over now.

I think I've got the off-season routine sorted for the moment in terms of weight training, but I need help with conditioning stuff.

Care to throw out a load of conditioning exercise routines that you guys know of that can be put together into a full routine or circuit?
I just kinda want a list of drills or whatever and pick and choose when doing a conditioning day.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Good busy day today.

10 mins rowing,

DL: 10X60, 6x65,5 x 65, 5 x 67.6, 5 x 70

DB shoulder press: 5 x 14,16,16,16,18.

standing rows, bent rows 20kg bar , 3 x 10 on each.

all interspersed so 4 x 20 kb swings 16kg bell.

loaded a whole skip aswell feeling tired but in a very good way.
bobbity

Post by bobbity »

Nol -

there's a ton of crossfit-esque options. The classic 21-15-9 for time stuff, but perhaps look at chain two, three or four exercises into an As Many Rounds As Possible in a predetermined period of time. As long as you pick exercises that don't overlap (don't pick two press exercises for instance) you probably won't go far wrong. Come up with half a dozen variations and then track time improvements.

e.g. deadlifts 100kg x5, pull-ups x5, burpees x5 AMRAP in 10 minutes. You could work fairly continuously as nothing will be near failure initially, but 10 minutes is going to be horrible. That sort of thing.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

The AMRAP and 21-15-9 variations are killers.

Had another session with my physio today, I should be back running in about 10 days which is good. I am allowed to start swimming and allowed on an exercise bike from Thursday as well.
SASP

Post by SASP »

Trying to loose 4 stone. Was 2 last week I know. Now its four. Get me down to 16.5 ish.

Anyway I lowered my carb, sugar and fat intake. Cut out bread altogether.

How the hell do you guys live without bread?
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

After an on-off for a couple of weeks, finally back into something approaching of a routine.

Today:

BP: 3x5x70
Squat: 3x5x100
Hang Cleans 3x5x40
Dips 8
Pull Ups 8
Preacher Curls 3x8x20

Pleased with the BP and squats and generally improving. Wondering whether to work up to BW and a half on squats and BW for BPs before moving to something more targetted.
bobbity

Post by bobbity »

Milk all you can out of it Braz, when progress stops then take a few steps back and build up again. Do that a few times before you move on.

SASP - you get used to it. There's nothing I love more than things like saffron cake, enriched fruit dough type things, but I'm used to them being a rare thing now. I've actually decided to sort my diet out a bit, generally following these guidelines - http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... imple_diet lunch today is cold chicken + some skin, sweet potato, carrots and salad.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

I do hope that is the skin from the Chicken Bobs, otherwise it reads quite strangely.