The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

All things Rugby
feckwanker

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by feckwanker »

backrow wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:42 am
feckwanker wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:47 pm
towny wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:41 pm Guys! I started cross fit. Apparently I need to tell you all about it.

It’s so good!
God I hate Crossfit.

Nols sorry to hear about the missus but that's one less gains goblin.

I've been tipping away the whole time as I'm fortunate enough to have a home gym. Recently started back into the local gym though and back running 5/3/1 which I really enjoy. I've about 3 more weeks before my life is turned upside down forever with the arrival of our first so I need to max my gains while I can.

I'd love to hit 80kg OHP (5kg off currently), 200kg squat (20kg off), 140 bench (10kg to go) and 250 dead (10kg to go) by the end of the year but I'd imagine my sleep pattern is going to be all over the place.
First child ! Nice one fella, may as well bin your console now as next time you will have energy to play, the PS6 will be out.
Just one word of warning, my pals who are gym rats and stocky, all turned into fat pieces of shit when they became dads, as well as turned grey. Luckily, all but one of them eventually got back in shape , but I do have one pal who is still a big fat mess.

I hope everything goes well for you & your family fella , being a dad is awesome.
One final word of warning - women are extremely fertile after giving birth, learn from me as my eldest two are pretty close in age !
Losing condition isn't too much of a worry as I train for powerlifting i.e. fat but strong.

The grey hair though - already have had to embrace it unfortunately.

Congrats on the 165 Nols. I personally think the 4 plate milestone is a serious mental headfuck more than a physical one. The wobble of the bar as you unrack it..... :uhoh:
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Forgot my knee sleeved this morning and had a little tantrum at myself in the car at 5:50 on the way to the gym. :lol:

Wasn't a big issue, wasn't going heavy heavy anyway.

Suspect that'll be the last gym session for a month or so, at least.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

First head race over the weekend, great to back on the water in competition. 3300m race, came 6th out of 11 in my race category (Masters C 1x). Bit annoyed with my start, rating far too high before settling into my rhythm, should have been a few places higher but oh well.

Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Cool pic. :thumbup:

That the new vessel?
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Nolanator wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:51 am Cool pic. :thumbup:

That the new vessel?
Nah, my 'new' boat is in the workshop having a few upgrades and a lick of paint although it is the same make and hull design as the one in the picture. That photo was about 2k into the race and I am blowing out my arse trying to hold off some juniors.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Nolanator wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:50 am Forgot my knee sleeved this morning and had a little tantrum at myself in the car at 5:50 on the way to the gym. :lol:

Wasn't a big issue, wasn't going heavy heavy anyway.

Suspect that'll be the last gym session for a month or so, at least.
Roids
look_spanky

Post by look_spanky »

Has anyone here tried single sets to failure daily? I had a gym program for my legs, which I mixed in with my rehab after shoulder surgery. However now that that's finished I have no time for the gym with a newborn, toddler and a busy time at work. I have a bit of a garage gym with a squat rack, pull up bar and various weights and balls. I've been doing some reading about single sets to failure, the theory being that once you max out you've stressed the muscles enough to cause a reaction.

I follow a guy called Ted Naiman who promotes a similar type of workout where you do one set of an exercise to failure, wait 20 seconds and do it again, wait another 20 seconds and hold the movement isometrically for as long as possible. It includes a variation of legs, push and pull daily.

I have started off with pushups (pretty weak at the moment after surgery), pullups and weighted deep squats, performed very slowly. I'll also incorporate some further rehab stuff and some other leg movements like split squats and weighted single legged bridges. I'm not looking to get bulky as I'm a reasonably high level squash player, currently 75kgs and wouldn't want to get any heavier than 80kgs.
Newportblue88

Post by Newportblue88 »

look_spanky wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:52 am Has anyone here tried single sets to failure daily? I had a gym program for my legs, which I mixed in with my rehab after shoulder surgery. However now that that's finished I have no time for the gym with a newborn, toddler and a busy time at work. I have a bit of a garage gym with a squat rack, pull up bar and various weights and balls. I've been doing some reading about single sets to failure, the theory being that once you max out you've stressed the muscles enough to cause a reaction.

I follow a guy called Ted Naiman who promotes a similar type of workout where you do one set of an exercise to failure, wait 20 seconds and do it again, wait another 20 seconds and hold the movement isometrically for as long as possible. It includes a variation of legs, push and pull daily.

I have started off with pushups (pretty weak at the moment after surgery), pullups and weighted deep squats, performed very slowly. I'll also incorporate some further rehab stuff and some other leg movements like split squats and weighted single legged bridges. I'm not looking to get bulky as I'm a reasonably high level squash player, currently 75kgs and wouldn't want to get any heavier than 80kgs.
I haven’t but I wouldn’t advise it personally, especially with the more compound lifts. I think it would just introduce too much fatigue and you wouldn’t get as much benefit as say 3x5. You could try it for isolation exercise or maybe your single leg movements.

What’s your training experience? If you’re more of a beginner then you won’t need much volume to get a good effect.

You won’t get too bulky if your calories are in check.

What’s your training
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

What NPB said. :thumbup:

Yolo'd it today in the gym as we're going back to a 6 week lockdown tomorrow. Bucketful of rice with dinner yesterday, a large amount of caffeine when I woke up, and a fatalistic attitude given that I won't be able to lift heavy heavy for while.

220. 💪🏻
Finally hit the 5 plates (well, 4 25s).
Nailed 205, which I hadn't lifted since late February, but I knew I'd have as I managed 200x2 last week. Then got 212.5, which was a lifetime PR. Was tough, but not shit my brains out difficult.
Then went for 220, ground it out over about 10 seconds, now have little red dots across my shoulders and the entire left side of my back is tightening up. I'm so happy. :lol:

Bought new uprights and more plates on eBay yesterday, will be able to squat more comfortably and with more weight at home, but squatting in the rain doesn't appeal!
Newportblue88

Post by Newportblue88 »

Nolanator wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:58 am What NPB said. :thumbup:

Yolo'd it today in the gym as we're going back to a 6 week lockdown tomorrow. Bucketful of rice with dinner yesterday, a large amount of caffeine when I woke up, and a fatalistic attitude given that I won't be able to lift heavy heavy for while.

220. 💪🏻
Nailed 205, which I hadn't lifted since late February, but I knew I'd have as I managed 200x2 last week. Then got 212.5, which was a lifetime PR. Was tough, but not shit my brains out difficult.
Then went for 220, ground it out over about 10 seconds, now have little red dots across my shoulders and the entire left side of my back is tightening up. I'm so happy. :lol:

Bought new uprights and more plates on eBay yesterday, will be able to squat more comfortably and with more weight at home, but squatting in the rain doesn't appeal!
Nice work mate. First time I noticed the little burst blood vessels I thought I was gonna die :lol:

Aren’t the gyms staying open during the lock down?
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

Nolanator wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:58 am What NPB said. :thumbup:

220. 💪🏻

Squat or deadlift?
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Deadlift, FFS! I only set a new squat PB of 165 last week.

Nah, NPB, serious shutdown of stuff here.
I ordered a couple plates yesterday afternoon, and they arrived at my front door at 7:30 this morning. From Kerry. :shock:
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

https://youtu.be/Q0YT-fYSCDA?t=305

This is my favourite clip of burst blood vessels from lifting. It's just so ridiculous looking, both the face he pulls mid-lift, and the state of him afterwards. :lol:
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

Nolanator wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:36 pm Deadlift, FFS! I only set a new squat PB of 165 last week.

I ordered a couple plates yesterday afternoon, and they arrived at my front door at 7:30 this morning. From Kerry. :shock:
Congrats!
Getting very close to the magic 5/4/3/2

Who did you order the plates from? I need another pair of 20's. HP Nutrition?
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

feckwanker wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:30 pm
Nolanator wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:36 pm Deadlift, FFS! I only set a new squat PB of 165 last week.

Congrats!

Some random place that showed up when I searched eBay. "Home Gym Store", according to the receipt.
It was a couple of 10s, standard 1" hole. Nothing remotely as fancy as your proper Olympic set.

Pretty much everywhere is sold out. D8fitness website crashed on Monday night when the lockdown was announced. :lol:
About the only stuff I could find online was a 140kg cast iron Olympic set for €500, or bumpers for more.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

Nolanator wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:38 pm

Congrats!

Some random place that showed up when I searched eBay. "Home Gym Store", according to the receipt.
It was a couple of 10s, standard 1" hole. Nothing remotely as fancy as your proper Olympic set.

Pretty much everywhere is sold out. D8fitness website crashed on Monday night when the lockdown was announced. :lol:
About the only stuff I could find online was a 140kg cast iron Olympic set for €500, or bumpers for more.
Jesus. That's scandalous.
Joost

Post by Joost »

Congrats!

fakeweights.com ;)
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

feckwanker wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:42 pm

Congrats!

You have not seen the cost of rowing gear yet!

How much do you think this 8 costs?

Joost

Post by Joost »

Must be an Empacher with that colour scheme

Here's their latest pricelist (for the uninitiated, you're looking for the 8+ price) :shock:

http://www.empacher.co.uk/empacher_pricelist_2020v2.pdf
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

danny_fitz wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:23 pm
feckwanker wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:42 pm

Congrats!

You have not seen the cost of rowing gear yet!

How much do you think this 8 costs?

I used to row for years - I'm well aware of the cost of the equipment (particularly as I dropped a quad on to the edge of a stand resulting in a nice hole smashed in its side).

But 3 euro a kilo is very very expensive for only 140kg of weights with no bar.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Joost wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:31 pm Must be an Empacher with that colour scheme

Here's their latest pricelist (for the uninitiated, you're looking for the 8+ price) :shock:

I have just shelled out nearly 500 quid for a pair of these for my single.

One pair of riggers :x
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Haven't been online much recently.

Did the Goggins Challenge a couple of weekends ago. This is basically Run 4 miles every 4 hours for 48 hours.

It sounds like a relatively easy challenge but the accumulated fatigue and repeat cycle of interrupted recovery make it almost as hard (but in a different way) as doing the distance in one go. Getting motivated to go out at 1 and 5 AM when already knackered is an interesting exercise. Enjoyed it as I had not had much chance for doing daft things this year.

Fancying the Frog Graham (among a few other things) for 2021
Joost

Post by Joost »

danny_fitz wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:03 pm
Joost wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:31 pm Must be an Empacher with that colour scheme

Spoiler: show
Hope they make you faster! :)
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Joost wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:27 pm
danny_fitz wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:03 pm

Spoiler: show
Hope they make you faster! :)
Of course, in the same way that a new set of golf club knocks 10 off my handicap.

They look good though, and that what counts.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

feckwanker wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:36 pmBut 3 euro a kilo is very very expensive for only 140kg of weights with no bar.
Sorry, that was for a BB and plates set. Still a heap of cash.

I spent over €4/kg on some standard 1" plates the other day. No delivery charge, but I was still absolutely bummed on the cost.
Newportblue88

Post by Newportblue88 »

blindcider wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:14 pm Haven't been online much recently.

Did the Goggins Challenge a couple of weekends ago. This is basically Run 4 miles every 4 hours for 48 hours.

It sounds like a relatively easy challenge but the accumulated fatigue and repeat cycle of interrupted recovery make it almost as hard (but in a different way) as doing the distance in one go. Getting motivated to go out at 1 and 5 AM when already knackered is an interesting exercise. Enjoyed it as I had not had much chance for doing daft things this year.

Fancying the Frog Graham (among a few other things) for 2021
Insane
look_spanky

Post by look_spanky »

Newportblue88 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:50 am
look_spanky wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:52 am Has anyone here tried single sets to failure daily? I had a gym program for my legs, which I mixed in with my rehab after shoulder surgery. However now that that's finished I have no time for the gym with a newborn, toddler and a busy time at work. I have a bit of a garage gym with a squat rack, pull up bar and various weights and balls. I've been doing some reading about single sets to failure, the theory being that once you max out you've stressed the muscles enough to cause a reaction.

I haven’t but I wouldn’t advise it personally, especially with the more compound lifts. I think it would just introduce too much fatigue and you wouldn’t get as much benefit as say 3x5. You could try it for isolation exercise or maybe your single leg movements.

What’s your training experience? If you’re more of a beginner then you won’t need much volume to get a good effect.

You won’t get too bulky if your calories are in check.

What’s your training
My training experience is basically limited to a shitload of pushups and pull ups, and some leg work but nothing heavy. I have no intention of lifting heavy weights. The deep squats are only with about 50kg added, but as I mentioned very very slow.

At the moment (bearing in mind my surgery) I'm only managing 11 pull ups, about 20 pushups and about 13-14 of the very slow squats. So not huge numbers and not huge weights. I hike for a job so they get plenty of incidental work also.

I had done it for about 5 days in a row and didn't feel any fatigue. Unfortunately life gets in the way and I've had a few days off. But I like the thought of being able to get it all done in about 15 minutes per day, plus incidental stuff like hiking and squash.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Bought gymnastics rings and plated about with them tonight.

Can't hang them off anything tall enough to be able to hang full length, but can work on L-sit pull-ups and use them for various stretches.

I'll become an Ido Portal fanboi yet.
Newportblue88

Post by Newportblue88 »

Nolanator wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:40 pm Bought gymnastics rings and plated about with them tonight.

Can't hang them off anything tall enough to be able to hang full length, but can work on L-sit pull-ups and use them for various stretches.

I'll become an Ido Portal fanboi yet.
Sounds fun. They are f**king hard work.

My training from home is going well at the moment, hoping to hit some decent lifts in the next few weeks.

Did 235x5 on deadlift last night. 5 sets of 5 on high bar squats with 170 and 157.5 x5 on bench over the last couple of days.

Just gotta manage the shoulder and elbow pain :uhoh:
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

That's just insane weight. :lol:
Fair play!
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Strongman Aaron Page passed away from Covid yesterday. He owned a gym in Southampton and a few people I knew had trained there and met him. Only 31.

I imagine that being an enormously heavy pro strongman puts you at considerably more risk of Covid complications.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

Thats no age :shock:
Watching that Eddie Hall documentary and the amount of shite he was eating and buying when doing his grocery shopping showed me just how unhealthy that lifestyle can be. I’m sure there are other methods of eating to be a strongman but Hall must have had diabetes at that point in his career.
Newportblue88

Post by Newportblue88 »

Nolanator wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:09 am Strongman Aaron Page passed away from Covid yesterday. He owned a gym in Southampton and a few people I knew had trained there and met him. Only 31.

I imagine that being an enormously heavy pro strongman puts you at considerably more risk of Covid complications.
Really sad, seemed like a good bloke.

Yeah. Not a healthy lifestyle but I think if you’re competing at anything, especially at a decent level, health because less of a factor you think about.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

I’m needing to get back in the gym, Just been hideously snowed under with work but I’m permanently closing my business at Christmas.
More importantly my son is benching 135kg and I’m gonna get left for dead if I don’t buck my ideas up :x
Nolanator

Re: The Training Thread - all a Jesusspects of fitness and health

Post by Nolanator »

Jesus, strong fucker!

Eddie and Thor actually have a date for their elephant hugging boxing match. 🤦🏼‍♂️

No surprise to see that shower of cünts MTK promoting it.
Homer

Post by Homer »

Working from home since March, has meant fewer weights, circuit sessions etc. (as I used to use the gym and studio classes at work) and more running and cycling. I've lost about 10lbs and at the ripe old age of 49 hit some PBs (got 5k down to 20:39).

The biggest difference to my running training has been actually mixing it up. When I was younger, if I went for a run (normally only in the off season), I would run basically as fast as I could, whatever the distance. This would result in me almost puking and being very sore for days afterwards.

Over the last 7 months I've been much more disciplined about polarising the training and doing useful workouts (hill sessions, intervals etc.) combined with some low effort steady state stuff (either a slow run or cycle). The nice thing is that most sessions are now quite pleasant and more interesting experiences, rather than a beasting which makes it easier to keep going. Shame it took me so long to work this out!
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Got a peloton a few weeks ago and have been doing the power zone training. Anyone else done this? If so, what kind of improvements have you seen over what time frames?
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

After battling a knee injury these past 2 years and several courses of treatment, today my surgeon says it wont get any better. Basically my arthritis will get worse and eventually the pain and lack of mobility will lead to a knee replacement (which last 20 years). Fcuk it. So no sports that could be jarring - basketball, footy etc. No running or load bearing gym exercises - own weight squats only. Time to up my cycling and swimming. Luckily I live in Florida.

I have to say it has upset me more than I thought. The first time I have had something that has significantly impaired my athletic ability (regardless of its low level). I feel a little less masculine, as stupid as it sounds.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

DragsterDriver wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:11 am I’m needing to get back in the gym, Just been hideously snowed under with work but I’m permanently closing my business at Christmas.
More importantly my son is benching 135kg and I’m gonna get left for dead if I don’t buck my ideas up :x
Whenever one quotes a weight, I assume it typically means 3 x 10 of that weight, not the 1RM. Right?
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

LandOTurk wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:14 am After battling a knee injury these past 2 years and several courses of treatment, today my surgeon says it wont get any better. Basically my arthritis will get worse and eventually the pain and lack of mobility will lead to a knee replacement (which last 20 years). Fcuk it. So no sports that could be jarring - basketball, footy etc. No running or load bearing gym exercises - own weight squats only. Time to up my cycling and swimming. Luckily I live in Florida.

I have to say it has upset me more than I thought. The first time I have had something that has significantly impaired my athletic ability (regardless of its low level). I feel a little less masculine, as stupid as it sounds.
Check out Kelly Starrett, currently operating under The Ready State.
Really active guy who's just undergone a knee replacement in his late 40s and has been posting his rehab journey through a series of videos on IG. Some stuff was prerecorded and is generally just about recovery from surgery, other stuff is day to day updates from him.

Get the knee done by a good surgeon, do a shit load of rehab, enjoy sporting activities again. :thumbup: