The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

All things Rugby
Newportblue88
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:06 am

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by Newportblue88 »

mr flaps wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:33 pm [quote="Hawk97 " post_id=6873143 time=<a href="tel:1617011149">1617011149</a> user_id=63579]
A risky question to ask, and would understand if removed/ignored, but...

Anyone jumped on the cycle before? Just wondering if it's worth it, as in my 30s, I'm seeing very diminishing returns and it's getting me down with how hard I go at it.

How’s your diet and are you training properly to achieve your goals? Most aren’t.
[/quote]

This and how long have you been training?

Everyone’s “worth it” will be different but if do it right you should see huge gainz. Personally I wouldn’t just jump in to it without researching what you’re going to take as your cycle and then what you’re going to do for PCT.
User avatar
Hawk97
Posts: 14596
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:47 pm

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by Hawk97 »

mr flaps wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:33 pm
Hawk97 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:45 am A risky question to ask, and would understand if removed/ignored, but...

Anyone jumped on the cycle before? Just wondering if it's worth it, as in my 30s, I'm seeing very diminishing returns and it's getting me down with how hard I go at it.

How’s your diet and are you training properly to achieve your goals? Most aren’t.
My goal currently is to maintain as much muscle as I can whilst getting as low bf% I can. It's been a monkey that I've never been able to get off my back. I can build muscle fairly easily, but when I try and cut, I can't seem to get the balance right. I don't get lean enough, and I start losing muscle.

I track calories, currently as low as 2200 (I weigh 15st, 5'11) and I'm sure I track right. I've brought in IF, lower carbs etc. It is coming off, but it's so slow and yeah I seem to be losing muscle as well (which I accept, but only if I also get lean enough).

Training for 15 years, mostly programmes built around compound lifts. On PPL currently.
User avatar
Hawk97
Posts: 14596
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:47 pm

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by Hawk97 »

Newportblue88 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:38 am
mr flaps wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:33 pm [quote="Hawk97 " post_id=6873143 time=<a href="tel:1617011149">1617011149</a> user_id=63579]
A risky question to ask, and would understand if removed/ignored, but...

Anyone jumped on the cycle before? Just wondering if it's worth it, as in my 30s, I'm seeing very diminishing returns and it's getting me down with how hard I go at it.

How’s your diet and are you training properly to achieve your goals? Most aren’t.
This and how long have you been training?

Everyone’s “worth it” will be different but if do it right you should see huge gainz. Personally I wouldn’t just jump in to it without researching what you’re going to take as your cycle and then what you’re going to do for PCT.

[/quote]


See above, and yeah, 15 years. I would consider myself now experienced. Have had years when younger of just free-wheeling (turning up to gym and deciding what i'll do when there), but I've been following strength programmes for years now.

Oh of course, if I was to use, I'd do loads of research beforehand. I'd be a bit worried for sure.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12957
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Regarding the steroid discussion:

I have some opinion on this. :lol:

<clears throat>

Let me be clear, that I don't think there's anything intrinsicly wrong with it. I have considered it myself and done a lot of research into it. To be perfectly honest, I still am considering it. These are the conclusions that I came to personally. I'm not telling you what to do, just providing something to consider:

first: if you're playing rugby or doing any other type of contact sport, don't do it. You'd be flat-out cheating and risking other people's health as well as your own.

second: don't believe the bullshit you read on steroid-forums. They're all justifying their own usage and living in their own echo-chamber where everyone-else is on gear, everyone has low testosterone, it's impossible to make any progress without gear over 30, and actual trained doctors are all morons who have no idea what they're talking about. Take some anonymous roid-heads word on that stuff with extreme caution.

third: don't believe this shit about not being able to put on muscle in your thirties. That is totally laughable nonsense. Your testosterone production is estimated to drop by 1% per year after thirty. So you're thirty-seven and "only" have about 93% of the natural testosterone production you had when you were 21, so now you have to jump on the gear? Gimme a break. :roll: If you want to have high natural testosterone, sleep more and drink less booze. Do that and you'll have better testosteone than half those 25-year olds who are up all night gaming and out boozing all weekend. Once you do one cycle your natural testosterone will never be what it was before you did it.

fourth: yes, a good percentage of the most muscular guys at the gym are on steroids. Especially the younger ones who haven't even had the time to naturally produce the mass they've got. It's becoming more and more prevelant in today's culture where guys like The Rock are held up as examples of the norm to aspire to as opposed to a complete freak. Most of them are going to completely f-ck up their natural hormone production and end up at 40 with their gut hanging over the belt, depressed with completely screwed up natural hormones. Young, dumb and full'o'cum. Join their ranks at your own risk.

last: With all that out the way, I think you can actually do it safely and I think it can even be beneficial. Personally I actually believe that TRT as one gets older is actually good for you and could lead to a longer, healtheir life and I would like to do that myself at some stage, maybe when I turn 50. But that is a life-long commitment and f-ck sourcing the gear from the black market.

If you chose to do it, don't be a dumbass. Get frequent medical check ups, listen to doctors, good luck, and never play rugby again.

Also, watch these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNWzoLIU5jo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBkG0v4qn9s
mr flaps
Posts: 2161
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by mr flaps »

Hawk97 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:47 am
mr flaps wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:33 pm
Hawk97 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:45 am A risky question to ask, and would understand if removed/ignored, but...

Anyone jumped on the cycle before? Just wondering if it's worth it, as in my 30s, I'm seeing very diminishing returns and it's getting me down with how hard I go at it.

How’s your diet and are you training properly to achieve your goals? Most aren’t.
My goal currently is to maintain as much muscle as I can whilst getting as low bf% I can. It's been a monkey that I've never been able to get off my back. I can build muscle fairly easily, but when I try and cut, I can't seem to get the balance right. I don't get lean enough, and I start losing muscle.

I track calories, currently as low as 2200 (I weigh 15st, 5'11) and I'm sure I track right. I've brought in IF, lower carbs etc. It is coming off, but it's so slow and yeah I seem to be losing muscle as well (which I accept, but only if I also get lean enough).

Training for 15 years, mostly programmes built around compound lifts. On PPL currently.

I’ve not used their service myself, but I’ve heard very good things about RP strength for nutrition advice. Online coaching can be expensive, but could be what you need.
I’ve got a couple of competitions coming up and after that I’m going to be working with a coach to prepare for a couple of big competitions at the end of the year. I’m going to drop some weight before starting my next strength phase.
User avatar
fonzeee
Posts: 4566
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm
Location: Boston

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by fonzeee »

I'm probably best described as a casual lifter, especially by the standards of some of the beefcakes on this thread, but....I just don't see why you'd want to do it unless you're involved in some sort of competitive endeavor. Perhaps the health risks are overstated but some of the stories do give one pause.
backrow
Posts: 23232
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by backrow »

MAnaged to do my goal of walking 100km this month ! :o

Am literally the same weight as on Feb 28th :x

(Tbh I’m drinking too much at the moment and that’s not helping)
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12957
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by Mog The Almighty »

backrow wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:12 pm MAnaged to do my goal of walking 100km this month ! :o

Am literally the same weight as on Feb 28th :x

(Tbh I’m drinking too much at the moment and that’s not helping)
Lose weight in the kitchen, not by walking.

Exercise is great, but it's so much easier just not to eat the shit in the first place. Most people massively over-estimated how much they're burning off. Have a few beers and some junky finger-food, chips and shit and you'll need to spend literlaly hours in the gym to burn that energy off. Going for a walk barely does anything, especially considering you're walking around all day already.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12957
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by Mog The Almighty »

fonzeee wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:10 pm I'm probably best described as a casual lifter, especially by the standards of some of the beefcakes on this thread, but....I just don't see why you'd want to do it unless you're involved in some sort of competitive endeavor. Perhaps the health risks are overstated but some of the stories do give one pause.
That's a reason not to do it. Unless of course you're competeing in one of those things like bodybuilding or strongman where it's recongized and accepted that everyone is doing it.

The reasons for doing it are basically to look good and get stronger. For the vast majority of people it's a short-cut to those things at the cost of some risk to their health. Which is fine if they're honest about it. There's very few who have reached their natural potential and want to push past that natural limit (although I'm sure that's what they tell themselves ... in fact I know it, I've seen it firsthand).
backrow
Posts: 23232
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by backrow »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:47 am
backrow wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:12 pm MAnaged to do my goal of walking 100km this month ! :o

Am literally the same weight as on Feb 28th :x

(Tbh I’m drinking too much at the moment and that’s not helping)
Lose weight in the kitchen, not by walking.

Exercise is great, but it's so much easier just not to eat the shit in the first place. Most people massively over-estimated how much they're burning off. Have a few beers and some junky finger-food, chips and shit and you'll need to spend literlaly hours in the gym to burn that energy off. Going for a walk barely does anything, especially considering you're walking around all day already.
Neither the beer fridge or the bar are in the kitchen....

It is not the food I’m eating that is the problem seeing as it’s meat fish and salad with very little carbs or junk food or sweets , it’s the beers and brandies

Walking here in Durban with the heat and humidity, up and down the hills to the beach, is pretty decent excercise judging by the sweat pouring off me and decent heart rate maintained. And unless I go for a walk , I’m wfh so barely do anything. Therefore unfortunately for you Mog, your well intentioned post is almost utterly wrong and irrelevant. Thanks anyways !
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12957
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by Mog The Almighty »

backrow wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:13 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:47 am
backrow wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:12 pm MAnaged to do my goal of walking 100km this month ! :o

Am literally the same weight as on Feb 28th :x

(Tbh I’m drinking too much at the moment and that’s not helping)
Lose weight in the kitchen, not by walking.

Exercise is great, but it's so much easier just not to eat the shit in the first place. Most people massively over-estimated how much they're burning off. Have a few beers and some junky finger-food, chips and shit and you'll need to spend literlaly hours in the gym to burn that energy off. Going for a walk barely does anything, especially considering you're walking around all day already.
Neither the beer fridge or the bar are in the kitchen....

It is not the food I’m eating that is the problem seeing as it’s meat fish and salad with very little carbs or junk food or sweets , it’s the beers and brandies

Walking here in Durban with the heat and humidity, up and down the hills to the beach, is pretty decent excercise judging by the sweat pouring off me and decent heart rate maintained. And unless I go for a walk , I’m wfh so barely do anything. Therefore unfortunately for you Mog, your well intentioned post is almost utterly wrong and irrelevant. Thanks anyways !
It's not wrong or irrelevant. If you knew what you were doing you wouldn't be here complaining that you can't lose weight while walking 100km a month.

But by all means continue doing what you're doing. It's no skin off my back if you're going to have that attitude. I was just trying to help out.
User avatar
Hawk97
Posts: 14596
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:47 pm

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by Hawk97 »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:50 am
fonzeee wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:10 pm I'm probably best described as a casual lifter, especially by the standards of some of the beefcakes on this thread, but....I just don't see why you'd want to do it unless you're involved in some sort of competitive endeavor. Perhaps the health risks are overstated but some of the stories do give one pause.
That's a reason not to do it. Unless of course you're competeing in one of those things like bodybuilding or strongman where it's recongized and accepted that everyone is doing it.

The reasons for doing it are basically to look good and get stronger. For the vast majority of people it's a short-cut to those things at the cost of some risk to their health. Which is fine if they're honest about it. There's very few who have reached their natural potential and want to push past that natural limit (although I'm sure that's what they tell themselves ... in fact I know it, I've seen it firsthand).
Yeah, I agree with everything you're saying. I do feel I've probably reached natural limit considering no changes despite the balls to the wall effort.
User avatar
DragsterDriver
Posts: 26344
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Big Willi Style

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by DragsterDriver »

Most people with the physique you want are juicing, cold hard fact. I’d say ALL but may offend the odd mesomorph on here.


Freaky athletes that waste natural gifts:

The Sparky at work is a big lump, doesn’t play sport or use a gym but was saying he’s naturally ‘springy’ at lunchtime so we called him out on it. His standing leap is insane off the charts, straight on a pack of bricks- then jumped and hung on a scaffold tube an impossible height off the floor- I’ve never seen anything like it.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12957
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Hawk97 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:19 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:50 am
fonzeee wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:10 pm I'm probably best described as a casual lifter, especially by the standards of some of the beefcakes on this thread, but....I just don't see why you'd want to do it unless you're involved in some sort of competitive endeavor. Perhaps the health risks are overstated but some of the stories do give one pause.
That's a reason not to do it. Unless of course you're competeing in one of those things like bodybuilding or strongman where it's recongized and accepted that everyone is doing it.

The reasons for doing it are basically to look good and get stronger. For the vast majority of people it's a short-cut to those things at the cost of some risk to their health. Which is fine if they're honest about it. There's very few who have reached their natural potential and want to push past that natural limit (although I'm sure that's what they tell themselves ... in fact I know it, I've seen it firsthand).
Yeah, I agree with everything you're saying. I do feel I've probably reached natural limit considering no changes despite the balls to the wall effort.
:thumbup: I believe you. You seem to know your shit.

To be honest, I think it's okay even if it is just a "short cut", if the person is responsible and knows what they're doing and is not playing competitive sports or contact sports which would be grossly unfair and dangerous to opponents. But I can fully understand wanting to compress years of hard natural training into ten weeks.

The only problem with that is once you start, there's no going back. Your natural testosterone will almost certainly never be the same again even if you do it all perfectly and you'll likely never again make natural gains. You'll be in the gym busting balls just to maintain what you have. Until you do another cycle.

I'm not exactly an expert on this, but I have done a lot of research into it. These are just my personal conclusions and to be honest, the reasons that have stopped me from doing it. But I probably will one day. I've been thinking more and more I'll go natural until 50. At that point there's no reason to "cycle". One cycle of anything will completely f-ck me up, so I'll just go on TRT for the rest of my life.
Newportblue88
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:06 am

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by Newportblue88 »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:32 am [quote="Hawk97 " post_id=6877441 time=<a href="tel:1617351551">1617351551</a> user_id=63579]
[quote="Mog The Almighty " post_id=6876308 time=<a href="tel:1617267016">1617267016</a> user_id=137629]
[quote="fonzeee " post_id=6875938 time=<a href="tel:1617214201">1617214201</a> user_id=60701]
I'm probably best described as a casual lifter, especially by the standards of some of the beefcakes on this thread, but....I just don't see why you'd want to do it unless you're involved in some sort of competitive endeavor. Perhaps the health risks are overstated but some of the stories do give one pause.
That's a reason not to do it. Unless of course you're competeing in one of those things like bodybuilding or strongman where it's recongized and accepted that everyone is doing it.

The reasons for doing it are basically to look good and get stronger. For the vast majority of people it's a short-cut to those things at the cost of some risk to their health. Which is fine if they're honest about it. There's very few who have reached their natural potential and want to push past that natural limit (although I'm sure that's what they tell themselves ... in fact I know it, I've seen it firsthand).
[/quote]

Yeah, I agree with everything you're saying. I do feel I've probably reached natural limit considering no changes despite the balls to the wall effort.
[/quote]
:thumbup: I believe you. You seem to know your shit.

To be honest, I think it's okay even if it is just a "short cut", if the person is responsible and knows what they're doing and is not playing competitive sports or contact sports which would be grossly unfair and dangerous to opponents. But I can fully understand wanting to compress years of hard natural training into ten weeks.

The only problem with that is once you start, there's no going back. Your natural testosterone will almost certainly never be the same again even if you do it all perfectly and you'll likely never again make natural gains. You'll be in the gym busting balls just to maintain what you have. Until you do another cycle.

I'm not exactly an expert on this, but I have done a lot of research into it. These are just my personal conclusions and to be honest, the reasons that have stopped me from doing it. But I probably will one day. I've been thinking more and more I'll go natural until 50. At that point there's no reason to "cycle". One cycle of anything will completely f-ck me up, so I'll just go on TRT for the rest of my life.
[/quote]

IMO you can definitely get your levels back following a cycle. It might take some months and some more drugs for PCT.

I think the reason people do multiple cycles is more psychological than physiological.
User avatar
DragsterDriver
Posts: 26344
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Big Willi Style

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by DragsterDriver »

https://twitter.com/englandrugby/status ... 10149?s=21

Some growth over his career! Even his jaw looks bigger.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12957
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Newportblue88 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:31 pm IMO you can definitely get your levels back following a cycle. It might take some months and some more drugs for PCT.

I think the reason people do multiple cycles is more psychological than physiological.
Everything I have read suggests that you cannot. You can get it back close to what it was if you are young and haven't used it much, maybe even so close that you don't really notice the difference. But it will never be exactly the same again.

However, I've only got my information from reading through the dark corners of the interwebs. I am well aware that does not make me an expert in anything. So f-cked if I know.
User avatar
danny_fitz
Posts: 12484
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mostly London........Mostly

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by danny_fitz »

Back on the water in my new boat. Double session this morning a and my hands are in tatters.
mr flaps
Posts: 2161
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by mr flaps »

Last heavyish session before next week competition. Some light squat triples working up to 365lbs/182kg. Some heavy 545lb/247kg yoke runs and a few sets on GHD.

A decent amount of conditioning and technique work next week and I should good to go.
mr flaps
Posts: 2161
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by mr flaps »

Car deadlift from my comp yesterday. Ended up tied for second after 5 events and had to do a last man standing keg clean and press which bumped me into third. I’d never done that event before and it was 7 minutes of hell before I tapped out.

https://youtu.be/xdrwFre3gmI
User avatar
danny_fitz
Posts: 12484
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mostly London........Mostly

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by danny_fitz »

Nice morning for a paddle. 8)

Image

Image
User avatar
fonzeee
Posts: 4566
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm
Location: Boston

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by fonzeee »

mr flaps wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:41 pm Car deadlift from my comp yesterday. Ended up tied for second after 5 events and had to do a last man standing keg clean and press which bumped me into third. I’d never done that event before and it was 7 minutes of hell before I tapped out.

https://youtu.be/xdrwFre3gmI
:uhoh:

Awesome :thumbup:

About how much weight does that car deadlift come out to?
Nolanator
Posts: 39525
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by Nolanator »

Nice work, Flaps. That looks bananas heavy.
mr flaps
Posts: 2161
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by mr flaps »

fonzeee wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:34 pm
mr flaps wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:41 pm Car deadlift from my comp yesterday. Ended up tied for second after 5 events and had to do a last man standing keg clean and press which bumped me into third. I’d never done that event before and it was 7 minutes of hell before I tapped out.

https://youtu.be/xdrwFre3gmI
:uhoh:

Awesome :thumbup:

About how much weight does that car deadlift come out to?
I’m not sure. Probably 550lbs/250kgish
mr flaps
Posts: 2161
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by mr flaps »

Nolanator wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:47 pm Nice work, Flaps. That looks bananas heavy.
Thanks, I feel like I was run over by a traction engine.
mr flaps
Posts: 2161
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by mr flaps »

Log press from my comp. managed 11 reps with 200lbs/91kg. Little disappointed with that, I’ve strict pressed that for 10 out of the rack.

https://youtu.be/xtRxUl2tIPE
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12957
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by Mog The Almighty »

mr flaps wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:41 pm Car deadlift from my comp yesterday. Ended up tied for second after 5 events and had to do a last man standing keg clean and press which bumped me into third. I’d never done that event before and it was 7 minutes of hell before I tapped out.

https://youtu.be/xdrwFre3gmI
:shock:
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12957
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by Mog The Almighty »

mr flaps wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:35 pm Log press from my comp. managed 11 reps with 200lbs/91kg. Little disappointed with that, I’ve strict pressed that for 10 out of the rack.

https://youtu.be/xtRxUl2tIPE
Impressive!
Nolanator
Posts: 39525
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by Nolanator »

Class. :thumbup:

I'd love to try log press.
User avatar
danny_fitz
Posts: 12484
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mostly London........Mostly

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by danny_fitz »

Nolanator wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:05 pm Class. :thumbup:

I'd love to try log press.
Sounds like Nigerian slang for a toilet
User avatar
fonzeee
Posts: 4566
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm
Location: Boston

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by fonzeee »

Trying to get sprints into my routine, anybody do it regularly?

Loving it so far but realized about halfway through the first full workout I did that I haven't ran at full speed since high school, a little more than a decade ago. Left quad is knotted as hell today.

Got my GF to clock my 100m time...





12.85 seconds :lol: :blush:

Bolt's record is probably safe for the time being.
User avatar
fonzeee
Posts: 4566
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm
Location: Boston

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by fonzeee »

(In my defense this was at the end of my workout and I was fairly beat)
Nolanator
Posts: 39525
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by Nolanator »

I'd be happy with 13 seconds! :lol:
A proper flat out sprint is difficult and really takes it out of you. They're something I've considered at various points over the years as being worth doing as part of training, but I never have.
User avatar
fonzeee
Posts: 4566
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm
Location: Boston

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by fonzeee »

Nolanator wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:25 am I'd be happy with 13 seconds! :lol:
A proper flat out sprint is difficult and really takes it out of you. They're something I've considered at various points over the years as being worth doing as part of training, but I never have.
Dude it really does, I was not expecting it. Today I'm aching in all sorts of places I didn't really expect to; obviously my legs are shot but my upper abs and especially my obliques are mighty tender too.

Mostly I'm trying to lose some flab and I kinda hate jogging, and of course the going wisdom is jogging eats away muscle which I don't want. Plus running really fast is just kinda cool.
Homer
Posts: 909
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by Homer »

fonzeee wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:35 am
Nolanator wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:25 am I'd be happy with 13 seconds! :lol:
A proper flat out sprint is difficult and really takes it out of you. They're something I've considered at various points over the years as being worth doing as part of training, but I never have.
Dude it really does, I was not expecting it. Today I'm aching in all sorts of places I didn't really expect to; obviously my legs are shot but my upper abs and especially my obliques are mighty tender too.

Mostly I'm trying to lose some flab and I kinda hate jogging, and of course the going wisdom is jogging eats away muscle which I don't want. Plus running really fast is just kinda cool.
Sprinting is pretty much the ultimate plyometric and is way more fun than long cardio. Some great resources from Tony Holler:
https://trackfootballconsortium.com/the ... -the-cats/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9xCjsnksqc

Over lockdown I have been doing this plan with my son:
https://simplifaster.com/articles/four- ... ning-plan/

Just remember to sprint when you are fresh/recovered - don't make it into a conditioning workout.
Nolanator
Posts: 39525
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by Nolanator »

I'd love to do some sprint training, especially with the weather picking up.
Would probably never do it by myself, way too self conscious to be doing that in public, and having a training buddy for that kind of stuff is way more fun/motivating.


Had loads of running walking last weekend, and my legs are still a bit tired.

Ran 7km on Saturday morning, including a bastard of a hill towards the end of it. Haven't run much recently, or done more than 5km in about 8 months.
Then did a gentle hill walk with the gf in the afternoon. Nothing bananas, but steep enough on tired legs. Sunday morning we got up early to do a sunrise walk up another local hill and then wandered down the other side to the next town and got the train back. Probably about 10km in total.

Lower legs were absolutely fried on Sunday evening. Had a bath for the first time in actual years, which helped a lot. Then went after the tender areas with a lacrosse ball. Was able to do squats on Monday morning, which was my goal, but my right calf is still wrecked right up at the top outer part where it joins the knee.

I haven't done that volume of hill running or walking in ages and it took its toll.
User avatar
fonzeee
Posts: 4566
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm
Location: Boston

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by fonzeee »

Homer wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:44 am
fonzeee wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:35 am
Nolanator wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:25 am I'd be happy with 13 seconds! :lol:
A proper flat out sprint is difficult and really takes it out of you. They're something I've considered at various points over the years as being worth doing as part of training, but I never have.
Dude it really does, I was not expecting it. Today I'm aching in all sorts of places I didn't really expect to; obviously my legs are shot but my upper abs and especially my obliques are mighty tender too.

Mostly I'm trying to lose some flab and I kinda hate jogging, and of course the going wisdom is jogging eats away muscle which I don't want. Plus running really fast is just kinda cool.
Sprinting is pretty much the ultimate plyometric and is way more fun than long cardio. Some great resources from Tony Holler:
https://trackfootballconsortium.com/the ... -the-cats/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9xCjsnksqc

Over lockdown I have been doing this plan with my son:
https://simplifaster.com/articles/four- ... ning-plan/

Just remember to sprint when you are fresh/recovered - don't make it into a conditioning workout.
Good stuff, cheers :thumbup:

I appreciate that last sentence too, as I'm seeing now that's kind of subconsciously where I'm heading.
towny
Posts: 20789
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by towny »

fonzeee wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:10 pm I'm probably best described as a casual lifter, especially by the standards of some of the beefcakes on this thread, but....I just don't see why you'd want to do it unless you're involved in some sort of competitive endeavor. Perhaps the health risks are overstated but some of the stories do give one pause.
How do we know there are health risks? Arnold is still alive and looking pretty good. Don’t get me wrong, abusing anything is bad for you, but is there quantifiable data that proves that gear is a health risk?
Nolanator
Posts: 39525
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by Nolanator »

Five and half weeks until gyms reopen here. Fueled by the positive noises coming out of yesterday's NPHET (committe responsible for advising the Irish government, who are notoriously conservative) meeting, had a good DL session. Also, caffeine.

Reps felt a bit iffy as I got into the more serious weights (>160kg), but managed to sort the technique and didn't feel the strain ini my back.

170x3, 180x3, 190x1, 200x2, 205x1.

Happy out. Gonna build my pullup frame this weekend as well.
User avatar
feckwanker
Posts: 7880
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by feckwanker »

Nolanator wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:53 am Five and half weeks until gyms reopen here. Fueled by the positive noises coming out of yesterday's NPHET (committe responsible for advising the Irish government, who are notoriously conservative) meeting, had a good DL session. Also, caffeine.

Reps felt a bit iffy as I got into the more serious weights (>160kg), but managed to sort the technique and didn't feel the strain ini my back.

170x3, 180x3, 190x1, 200x2, 205x1.

Happy out. Gonna build my pullup frame this weekend as well.
Nice going there.

5 and a half weeks more is bullshit but what can we do at this stage?

Started back into 5/3/1 again this week after finishing up Madcow 5x5 a few weeks ago (the numbers in the last two weeks of the program were crazy to try and hit).
Post Reply