The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

All things Rugby
odave

Re: The Training Thread

Post by odave »

So I should probably come clean on the new bored. I'm actually a yoga teacher called Fabio
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

That picture you posted on FB Dave......
Top-notch. :thumbup: :nod:
odave

Post by odave »

Nolanator wrote:That picture you posted on FB Dave......
er - which one? i don't think i posted anything recently although someone posted that bird on a chair on my 'timeline' (i'm down with the new lingo). do you mean that?
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

odave wrote:
Nolanator wrote:That picture you posted on FB Dave......
er - which one? i don't think i posted anything recently although someone posted that bird on a chair on my 'timeline' (i'm down with the new lingo). do you mean that?
That's the one I meant. Maybe you just commented on it. I wasn't really paying attention to what people were saying about it though.
odave

Post by odave »

This one:

I have convinced my fellow directors to do a series of similar things with our girls at work :)
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

odave wrote:This one:

I have convinced my fellow directors to do a series of similar things with our girls at work :)
quads and/or hammies look to big.

otherwise...

KG

Plus:

KG
AGE - 37
Height - 6ft
Weight - 94.5kg
B/F - high i imagine
Target - nothing weight wise but ~91kg.
odave

Post by odave »

yes KG; I think her left scapula is marginally imbalanced too...horribly unnattractive

ODave
AGE - 29 (30 in march)
Height - 5ft10"
Weight - 81kg
B/F - 10% (Ultrasound)
mr flaps

Post by mr flaps »

kiwigreg369 wrote:

quads and/or hammies look to big.

you're kidding.

otherwise...

KG

Plus:

KG
AGE - 37
Height - 6ft
Weight - 94.5kg
B/F - high i imagine
Target - nothing weight wise but ~91kg.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

I've not lifted a thing in three weeks, suffering from epic tennis elbow :|

That's a nice picture.
mr flaps

Post by mr flaps »

Mr Flaps

AGE - 36
Height - 5ft11"
Weight - 19 stone 2lbs
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

odave wrote:yes KG; I think her left scapula is marginally imbalanced too...horribly unnattractive
It does doesn't it. Then again, you're used to working with beautiful people (and Muse).
KG
bobbity

Post by bobbity »

Moderate conditioning session tonight. Did Dan John's swing/push-up thing as rx'd for the first time 20/10-1. Also had a major revelation after watching one of the Dan John videos I spammed the old thread with the other night - actually push the KB back down, don't just let it drop. Harder, the reversal takes more effort but also pushing it down keeps you tighter. Forearms got a workout too.

Saving some energy for what is surely going to be a harder second week at judo tomorrow, so just some core work and foam rolling added on top of that.

Last night I thought I'd pulled a groin muscle after the sprints, dog wasn't going to let me off without walking him though. Couple of miles later it seemed fine, only some mild discomfort today. Thought I was in trouble for a bit.
odave

Post by odave »

Bobalob. Was it you or someone else who told me Dan John's 'never let go' is currently a free kindle book?

If it wasn't you then I hear Dan John's 'never let go' is currently a free kindle book
Womack

Post by Womack »

Tonight:

DL 5x75, 3x85, 9x95 (meant to do 10 reps but lost count)
1-leg RDL 3x9x10kg
Seated calf raise (band) 3x16
Pull-up 4x1+3 negatives (failed on very last rep)
1-arm OHP, light band 3x11
Bench dips 3x11

For the lulz, here's my final set of DLs. Warning: do not watch unless you have a compulsion to see my O-face

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZhjd0ua ... C0JqKzl82f
bobbity

Post by bobbity »

odave wrote:Bobalob. Was it you or someone else who told me Dan John's 'never let go' is currently a free kindle book?

If it wasn't you then I hear Dan John's 'never let go' is currently a free kindle book

Does it come with a free Kindle? Found a link, but amazon seem to be charging for it again.

Very arousing Womack. I like the way you left a few reps behind as a tease.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Womack - sort your garage out. F**king disgrace.
KG

(edit - i have garage envy as i do not have)
Salanya

Post by Salanya »

You're such a poser Womack! :lol: Good stuff though!
(You have a very messy and cold shed/garage)

Work ran late so I didn't go to the gym, I feel bad now. But it's my day off tomorrow so will definitely go.

Dave/nutritionists: I guess I can guess the answer to this question, but what are the general feelings towards cheese? I had a lovely steak tonight with mushrooms and fresh baby plum tomatoes, and a bit of blue cheese. No carbs, but obviously quite a lot of fat....

This thread has made me just as obsessed with my exercise/nutrition as you guys are with your weights!
Womack

Post by Womack »

It's my mum's garage actually - not that mine's much better. f**ked if I'm ever helping to tidy it :uhoh:
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Womack wrote:It's my mum's garage actually - not that mine's much better. f**ked if I'm ever helping to tidy it :uhoh:
Sure - blame your mum when she's not on here to defend herself...
KG
Womack

Post by Womack »

It's not her fault, poor woman. It's my older brother, who has strong hoarding tendencies. You can just make out his old Kawasaki AR50 on the right which hasn't run in about 16 years, but for some reason remains there. ON the other hand, it's mostly his equipment I'm using in there so I can't complain.
Joost

Post by Joost »

There's probably a photoshop in this

Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

:o Keen.

And while I'm here, for all you running types out there, get on the Chia seeds. Just chuck them in some water with some lemon and honey (so it doesn't taste like seeds in water,) and you're flying. Wish I'd discovered them earlier.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Salanya wrote:Ha! My work internet doesn't realise this new bored is a forum: PR during work hours, crazy stuff!

I'll put my figures down for the fun of it:

Salanya
Height: 1.68 (5ft6)
Weight: 76 (used to be 80kgs, and I'm working on it. Oh, and scales don't matter!)
BF: it's all in the boobs! (and the hips)

Wow, that's a terribly girly entry! Anyway, back to the gym tonight; will start with weights first this time and see how it goes...
Rule 1 please.

Good workout last night.
2.5km row
20 push ups
20 sit ups
1 minute plank
20 double crunches
20 squats
20 V sit ups
20 split squats
Plank whilst moving leg out to the side and back again - 10 each leg
2.5km row
Stair sprints up 6 flights of stairs x 5

Feeling it in the core today.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Joost wrote:There's probably a photoshop in this

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

I saw this and I am keen to do it, who else is in?

ARE YOU TOUGH ENOUGH FOR THE ROYAL BURPEE CHALLENGE?
Easton, PA – Athletes from around the world are joining CrossFit Advanced in the 115 Royal Burpee Challenge to honor of the man who made the burpee a household name: Royal Huddleston Burpee.
Those who join us in the challenge will start with a single burpee on Feb. 11. On Feb. 12, the second day, we will do two burpees. On Feb. 13, the third day, we will do three burpees. We will continue adding a burpee to our daily workout until June 4, when we will do 115 burpees in honor of what would be Royal H. Burpee’s 115th birthday. Over the course of the challenge, athletes will do a total of 6,670 burpees.
Athletes may do the burpees on their own, and are encouraged to share pictures and videos. The burpees can be spread out over the day, but each day’s required burpees must be completed before moving on to the next day. So if an athlete fails to do 10 burpees on Day 10, they must do 10 burpees the following day, plus the 11 burpees owed for that new day.
A burpee, which is similar to a squat thrust, is an intense exercise that combines a squat, a push-up and jump. You may think the name reflects what happens after you try the exercise too soon after lunch, but it’s actually named after Royal H. Burpee.
In the 1930s, Royal H. Burpee created a test that used burpees to measure agility and coordination for the U.S. military. The test was included in his book, “Seven Quickly Administered Tests of Physical Activity.”
Burpee (1898-1987), a World War I veteran, served as the overseas program director for the United Service Organization (USO) during World War II. Between the wars, he earned a doctorate in physiology from Columbia University.
A lifelong advocate of physical fitness, Burpee was also the executive director of Bronx-Union Branch of the New York City Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) from 1946 to 1964. He continued to be involved with the Greater New York YMCA until his death in 1987 in Easton, Pa., home of CrossFit Advanced.
While it’s not clear whether Burpee invented the exercise, or just made it famous with his test, the move is still being done today. This June 4 marks Royal H. Burpee’s 115th birthday, and CrossFit Advanced, led by owner Greg Tymon, thought it would be fun to celebrate the day in a unique way.
“The burpee is the king of all exercises,” Tymon said. “It takes coordination. It takes strength. Do more than a handful, and it takes endurance.”
Yet the burpee is also an exercise that does not require special equipment, or even a lot of space, he said. It’s a staple of CrossFit workouts, and is one of the best conditioning exercises around, Tymon said. In addition to CrossFit, burpees are still favorites of football coaches and military trainers everywhere.
Also, Royal H. Burpee’s military background is a natural fit for CrossFit, which often honors fallen military heroes with especially difficult or challenging workouts, Tymon said.
“I like to think if Royal Burpee were alive today, he’d be a fan of CrossFit,” Tymon said. “We certainly are a big fan of his.”
Burpee’s grandson, Royal H. Burpee III, who lives in Easton, will be invited to attend the grand finale of the Royal Burpee Challenge on June 4th.
To Accept The Challenge, Visit: https://www.facebook.com/events/165855380184038/
MunsterMan!!!!!

Post by MunsterMan!!!!! »

ElementFreak wrote:I saw this and I am keen to do it, who else is in?

Hate Burpees but love a challenge, I'll give that a go!
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Had to do burpees in training the other night. I hate burpees, but I found that 30 seconds of squat-jumps followed by 30 seconds of shuttle runs was awful. My legs were totally dead, had no drive each time I turned around.
bobbity

Post by bobbity »

Go on then. I'm going to regret it very quickly, but if I've got a 24h window then finishing up with 115 seems ok.
odave

Post by odave »

ElementFreak wrote:I saw this and I am keen to do it, who else is in?

Easton, PA – Athletes from around the world are joining CrossFit Advanced in the 115 Royal Burpee Challenge to honor of the man who made the burpee a household name: Royal Huddleston Burpee.
Those who join us in the challenge will start with a single burpee on Feb. 11. On Feb. 12, the second day, we will do two burpees. On Feb. 13, the third day, we will do three burpees. We will continue adding a burpee to our daily workout until June 4, when we will do 115 burpees in honor of what would be Royal H. Burpee’s 115th birthday. Over the course of the challenge, athletes will do a total of 6,670 burpees.
Athletes may do the burpees on their own, and are encouraged to share pictures and videos. The burpees can be spread out over the day, but each day’s required burpees must be completed before moving on to the next day. So if an athlete fails to do 10 burpees on Day 10, they must do 10 burpees the following day, plus the 11 burpees owed for that new day.
A burpee, which is similar to a squat thrust, is an intense exercise that combines a squat, a push-up and jump. You may think the name reflects what happens after you try the exercise too soon after lunch, but it’s actually named after Royal H. Burpee.
In the 1930s, Royal H. Burpee created a test that used burpees to measure agility and coordination for the U.S. military. The test was included in his book, “Seven Quickly Administered Tests of Physical Activity.”
Burpee (1898-1987), a World War I veteran, served as the overseas program director for the United Service Organization (USO) during World War II. Between the wars, he earned a doctorate in physiology from Columbia University.
A lifelong advocate of physical fitness, Burpee was also the executive director of Bronx-Union Branch of the New York City Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) from 1946 to 1964. He continued to be involved with the Greater New York YMCA until his death in 1987 in Easton, Pa., home of CrossFit Advanced.
While it’s not clear whether Burpee invented the exercise, or just made it famous with his test, the move is still being done today. This June 4 marks Royal H. Burpee’s 115th birthday, and CrossFit Advanced, led by owner Greg Tymon, thought it would be fun to celebrate the day in a unique way.
“The burpee is the king of all exercises,” Tymon said. “It takes coordination. It takes strength. Do more than a handful, and it takes endurance.”
Yet the burpee is also an exercise that does not require special equipment, or even a lot of space, he said. It’s a staple of CrossFit workouts, and is one of the best conditioning exercises around, Tymon said. In addition to CrossFit, burpees are still favorites of football coaches and military trainers everywhere.
Also, Royal H. Burpee’s military background is a natural fit for CrossFit, which often honors fallen military heroes with especially difficult or challenging workouts, Tymon said.
“I like to think if Royal Burpee were alive today, he’d be a fan of CrossFit,” Tymon said. “We certainly are a big fan of his.”
Burpee’s grandson, Royal H. Burpee III, who lives in Easton, will be invited to attend the grand finale of the Royal Burpee Challenge on June 4th.
To Accept The Challenge, Visit: https://www.facebook.com/events/165855380184038/
I'm alright. cheers though :)
Womack

Post by Womack »

Anyone want to team up for the burpee challenge? I'll take weeks 1-8, then I'll hand the baton over to my team-mate for the final leg.
odave

Post by odave »

Womack wrote:Anyone want to team up for the burpee challenge? I'll take weeks 1-8, then I'll hand the baton over to my team-mate for the final leg.
Now that sounds like a plan. Can I be part of your support team providing tea and biscuits and the occasional motivational song?
Mat the Expat

Post by Mat the Expat »

Finally back at Climbing.

3 hours solid and had nothing left in the tank at the end - awesome.

For the single blokes, get yourself to a climbing wall. Totty-tastic! :shock:
Freddie Forearm

Post by Freddie Forearm »

Left arm only...
Curl Station 3x10xmax
DB Preacher 3x10x20
Stirrup Cable Curl 3x10x17
DB Skull 3x10x20
Stirrup Tri Pushdown 3x10x21
Lat Raise 3x10x14
Front Raise 3x10x16

Calf Press 3x10x150
Quad Curl 3x10x75
Ham Curl 3x10x75
Leg Press 4x10x200

Stirrup Cable Curl 3x10x21

3 miles on treadmill.

All good work ready to be undone in Edinburgh this weekend.
Last edited by Freddie Forearm on Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Freddie looking at himself in the mirror is a few weeks.

Freddie Forearm

Post by Freddie Forearm »

:lol:
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Name: danny_fitz
Height: 180 cm
Weight: 91.4kg
BF %: 25.2 :blush: (no laughing at the back there)

This week:

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 6 miles fartlek
Wednesday: 7 miles medium pace
Thursday: 5 miles fast
Friday: Rest
Sat: Rest
Sunday: 13 miles, medium pace
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Mat the Expat wrote:Finally back at Climbing.

3 hours solid and had nothing left in the tank at the end - awesome.

For the single blokes, get yourself to a climbing wall. Totty-tastic! :shock:
I used to be well into my climbing, used to spend my summers in Chamonix. Indeed, you dont get many fat chicks who climb but generally you dont get many girls who climb at all!
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

danny_fitz wrote:Name: danny_fitz
Height: 180 cm
Weight: 91.4kg
BF %: 25.2 :blush: (no laughing at the back there)

This week:

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 6 miles fartlek
Wednesday: 7 miles medium pace
Thursday: 5 miles fast
Friday: Rest
Sat: Rest
Sunday: 13 miles, medium pace
Any resistance work (weights) planned at all?
mook

Post by mook »

Womack wrote:Tonight:

DL 5x75, 3x85, 9x95 (meant to do 10 reps but lost count)
1-leg RDL 3x9x10kg
Seated calf raise (band) 3x16
Pull-up 4x1+3 negatives (failed on very last rep)
1-arm OHP, light band 3x11
Bench dips 3x11

For the lulz, here's my final set of DLs. Warning: do not watch unless you have a compulsion to see my O-face

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZhjd0ua ... C0JqKzl82f
Solid lifts Igor.

mook

Post by mook »

Name: mook
Height: 179 cm
Weight: 70kg
BF %: 16.4

Like wommers I also am a new father, but unlike him I did not keep my training up over the winter. So all of the things I posted in the old thread are irrelevant - my 5k time, half marathon, pull-ups, DL, bench. All gone :((

The only training I've got is holding an 8kg baby. No joke - my right bicep is in good shape - but that's about the only muscle that's in shape. So I'm looking forward to getting back into shape this year and will begin to post my routines again.