Chat Forum
It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 1:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 621, 622, 623, 624, 625, 626, 627 ... 654  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:13 am 

Was the beef between Eddie Hall and Robert Oberst actually real or just one big piss take?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:43 am 

Nor sure as Eddie Hall can piss people off altho Brian Shaw seems to be the most easy going guy. Oberst not so much

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:21 am 

The heat and humidity at the moment is a killer in the gym. I was a sweaty mess on Tuesday and this morning was really sluggish and tired.
They're installing AC in the gym at the moment. Guaranteed that the hot weather will finish when it's ready to go.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:31 am 

Nolanator wrote:
The heat and humidity at the moment is a killer in the gym. I was a sweaty mess on Tuesday and this morning was really sluggish and tired.
They're installing AC in the gym at the moment. Guaranteed that the hot weather will finish when it's ready to go.

Yep, erg sessions have been brutal in terms of heat. Have been getting down the erg room early and training two fans on me. On the water is pretty bad too so I have been subjecting Joe Public to me going 'skins' while in the boat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:36 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Yep, erg sessions have been brutal in terms of heat. Have been getting down the erg room early and training two fans on me. On the water is pretty bad too so I have been subjecting Joe Public to me going 'skins' while in the boat.

I will never criticise a moderately healthy and active person for going sun's out, guns out, especially when exercising outdoors. Seen a few white van men driving around shirtless with their tats out, looks a bit silly.

My gym has a few massive fans (like 4 foot diameter) arranged around the place to circulate the air. Helps, but there's no active cooling. On Tuesday it was so humid and warm that the mirrors in the lads changing room was completely fogged up. I may as well have no showered afterwards.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:45 pm 

kiwinoz wrote:
Brian Shaw, Eddie Hall, Nick Best and Robert Oberst take over a gym

Love the way these guys interact and compete

Just looking through that. They're doing ~140kg for the seated press. Whatever about that being comically heavy in its own right, these guys weigh upwards of 150kg themselves. That's 300kg sitting on that bench.
I wonder do they ever break gym equipment when they go to commercial places.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:51 pm 

I don't know if they break gear in gyms but must destroy egos to have these guys pitch up and piss about with weights well.over your personal best. That said Brian Shaw is a monster of a man.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:54 pm 

I dunno. The guys that level are absolute freak shows. They may as well be a different species. Built to a different scale and just throwing enormous amounts of weight around.

I notice it more when someone who's a similar size to me is significantly stronger. If some absolute unit is lifting more, it makes sense, given the size disparity.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:20 pm 

As part of the upgrades to my gym, they've started playing background jazz music in the changing rooms. Makes from a very different vibe after a session where the gym usually plays current music, or I'll be blasting something shouty and angsty in my headphones.

Taking a bit of a deload on lower body this week and enjoying it. My left ankle is giving trouble and not clearing up, need to get someone to look at it. Probably just needs to be given the chance to recover. Lower back has been a bit tender at times when I wouldn't expect it to be, so giving that a breather.

Had a couple of squat sessions where I've only gone as high as 60kg and played around with 1.5 reps, hip circle squats etc to work on form. Trying to counter my tendency to stripper squat when the weights get heavy. For my DL session I didn't use wraps or my belt, so limited myself to a few sets at 140kg. Still heavy, but well-within my comfort range. Still went heavy on hip thrusts, so getting some good intensity in somewhere.

I'll carry on with the deload next week and then I've a week at home following that. I'll take that almost completely off from lifting. Probably do me the world of good.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:20 am 

Holy melanoma batman, it's sunny out today. Surprisingly good parkrun this morning, despite the Eye of Sauron burning down on me.
Tough going, but I love it.

Must have been intense on the water, Danny?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:24 pm 

I visited Strength Asylum in Stoke-on-Trent today and Eddie was there, holy shit he’s massive.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:28 am 

mr flaps wrote:
I visited Strength Asylum in Stoke-on-Trent today and Eddie was there, holy shit he’s massive.

Awesome! That would’ve been the cut-down version as well; he’s lost about 6 stone since giving up strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:16 am 

He's not that tall either, certainly not by strongman standards. He's 6'2 or so? Brian Shaw is 6'8, Hafthor Bjornsson is about the same.

They are all outrageously big humans, though. I imagine that seeing them on screen doesn't do it justice.

As an aside, I always thought that freakish height was an advantage in strongman. Helps hoisting atlas stones onto the platforms etc. I suppose the longer levers have disadvantages in other events.
This year's winner, Licis, is relatively short like Eddie Hall.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:44 am 

I get the impression that Hall isn’t anywhere near as much of a natural talent as the likes of Thor, Shaw or Savickas - he seems to have achieved what he has through an incredible attitude and drive to be the alpha male.

Born Strong is well worth a watch on Netflix - follows each of them and their lives/backgrounds/training regimes and it’s striking what different stories they all have and what little pecuniary reward they get for their massive endeavours.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:57 am 

Joost wrote:
I get the impression that Hall isn’t anywhere near as much of a natural talent as the likes of Thor, Shaw or Savickas - he seems to have achieved what he has through an incredible attitude and drive to be the alpha male.

Born Strong is well worth a watch on Netflix - follows each of them and their lives/backgrounds/training regimes and it’s striking what different stories they all have and what little pecuniary reward they get for their massive endeavours.

I’m not sure about Hall, he’s undoubtably extremely driven and was willing to take some massive risks to get to the top. You’ve got respect him for having a plan and sticking to it. He always said he’d lose weight and retire once he won, which it’s what he’s done.

But I do think he’s got some pretty good genes as well. He swam to a very decent standard as a kid and one of his brothers props in the premiership ( Bristol I think).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:42 pm 

Lads, anyone used one of those ‘bras’ that pro rugby players use with the GPS tracker?
And where I might be able to get one?
Also is the fact that you are wearing something hard and plastic on your back not an injury risk if you get emptied on your arse (not that I plan on that happening at any point this season . . )?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:52 pm 

Jim Lahey wrote:
Lads, anyone used one of those ‘bras’ that pro rugby players use with the GPS tracker?
And where I might be able to get one?
Also is the fact that you are wearing something hard and plastic on your back not an injury risk if you get emptied on your arse (not that I plan on that happening at any point this season . . )?

https://shop.statsports.com/collections/apex-athlete/products/apex-athlete-series

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:33 pm 

Dead link, Blindcider.

You looking to wear one in a game, Jim, or just running about?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:10 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Dead link, Blindcider.

I’d like to wear it for training and in-game, but conscious the damage it may cause me or someone else. Maybe just stick foam around it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:40 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Dead link, Blindcider.

hmm, works for me :?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:56 pm 

Weird. Works for me now. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:16 am 

Bought myself a new heavy green band as I wanted to do more hip joint work. Used it this morning and it really helped.
Was doing variations of the frog stretch with loads of tension in the band looped right up in my groin. Messed around with distraction out to the side and then back. It actually made the stretch a little less unpleasant and felt good when I stood up.
Then lots of glute work to wake everything up and get things firing really helped the DLs. Side plank clams with a hip circle are good. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:36 am 

Green band is when the nausea kicks in :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:47 am 

I'd been using a purple one, which is a bit lighter, but found that less comfortable.

You can get way more tension in the green one, but it's broader so doesn't feel like a garrote wire in your groin.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:08 pm 

Joost wrote:
mr flaps wrote:

Awesome! That would’ve been the cut-down version as well; he’s lost about 6 stone since giving up strongman

Plenty of other gigantic bastards in there. I’m hovering around 21 stone at the moment and felt small.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:06 am 

Was messing around in the gym this morning trying to find excuses to not finish up. Did some banded bench press after my regular benching to see how it feels.

Had done three sets of two, then three sets of 8 on regular bench, then went to 60% of my max and looped a red band under the bench and over the bar.
I like it, the bottom portion of the movement is easy-peasy as the band is almost totally slack, but the top part gets tiring very quickly. Nice way to work on the lockout.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:30 pm 

Interesting session tonight.

I’ve been squatting beltless and in flat shoes for a few months now, just to see if flat shoes helped. Put my belt and lifting shoes on tonight. Made such a massive difference, squats were enjoyable again.

Don’t think I’ll be going back to flat shoes.

Tonight’s session

Bench
5x10 70kg

Squat
5x5 142kg

Pull ups
4x9

Barbell curls
3x12 27kg
Plus one rest pause set

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:29 pm 

Training is a little weird at the moment. Hitting my numbers, but I feel like shit because of the restricted calories.

Off to Iceland next week and hoping to train at Jakabol and Thor’s power gym. Should be interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:17 am 

mr flaps wrote:
Training is a little weird at the moment. Hitting my numbers, but I feel like shit because of the restricted calories.

Off to Iceland next week and hoping to train at Jakabol and Thor’s power gym. Should be interesting.

You doing a tour of the Strongmen gyms of the world or something flaps?

I’ve managed to get a really good run of minimalist training in over the past couple of months (despite the arrival of mini-J and work being mental) by abandoning the gym for my mini outdoor home gym (basically a pullup bar and a load of KBs at the end of the patio. I do have a barbell and 200kg of bumper plates, but am banned from using them! :(( ).

About to hit my target of 15 pull-ups and now focussing on pressing a 40kg kettlebell overhead (hoping to get the 48kg overhead at some point, but seems a long way off at present!) - will then have hit level 5 or 6 on these strength standards, with the eventual aim of getting to at least 6 on all of them (some of the 7s look utterly impossible!) - http://danjohn.net/2013/04/strength-standards-sleepless-in-seattle/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:55 am 

Joost wrote:
I do have a barbell and 200kg of bumper plates, but am banned from using them! :((

Why?

Had a week off visiting home and friends last week. Brought my runners and got a couple of easy jogs in to keep moving, but didn't touch a weight. The enforced break was nice. Didn't go crazy on food or booze, and let the accumulated aches ease up a bit.

Left ankle is still giving me trouble. When I put my foot in a good arched posture and then try and track my knee forward over my toes I get a shooting pain and blocking sensation on the inside nobble of the ankle. Can't squat without pain in it.
Self-diagnosed, admittedly, but I'm fairly sure it's my stupidly flat feet. Causes my feet/ankles to cave inwards and must have aggravated something.
Lots of postural correction stuff to build up the muscles in the soles of my feet. Yay. Got a pair of insole supports on Amazon to see if they help. I walk about 5km a day, so presumably forcing my foot into a slightly healthier posture will help.

Can't squat heavy though. :((

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:48 pm 

Joost wrote:
mr flaps wrote:

You doing a tour of the Strongmen gyms of the world or something flaps?

I’ve managed to get a really good run of minimalist training in over the past couple of months (despite the arrival of mini-J and work being mental) by abandoning the gym for my mini outdoor home gym (basically a pullup bar and a load of KBs at the end of the patio. I do have a barbell and 200kg of bumper plates, but am banned from using them! :(( ).

About to hit my target of 15 pull-ups and now focussing on pressing a 40kg kettlebell overhead (hoping to get the 48kg overhead at some point, but seems a long way off at present!) - will then have hit level 5 or 6 on these strength standards, with the eventual aim of getting to at least 6 on all of them (some of the 7s look utterly impossible!) - http://danjohn.net/2013/04/strength-standards-sleepless-in-seattle/

It’s just turned out that way. My folks live reasonably close to Stoke and I’m heading to Iceland with the Mrs as we both like the look of it. Probably going to the Arnold next year.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:39 am 

Used my belt for the first time in a month or so this morning. Had to loosen it by a notch. :lol:

Spent a good deal of time doing foam/lacrosse ball rolling and banded stretching work beforehand. Hips and ankles did feel good afterwards. Gammy ankle was still fairly gammy, but DLs don't really force it into significant dorsiflexion the way squats do, so it wasn't particularly uncomfortable.
Used the lacrosse ball in the meaty bit outside the shin bone. Holy hell, that was sore.

First DLs on the heavier side in about a month, too. Gave my lower back a breather for a bit. worked up to 3 sets of 160x4. Happy enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:29 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Used my belt for the first time in a month or so this morning. Had to loosen it by a notch. :lol:

Spent a good deal of time doing foam/lacrosse ball rolling and banded stretching work beforehand. Hips and ankles did feel good afterwards. Gammy ankle was still fairly gammy, but DLs don't really force it into significant dorsiflexion the way squats do, so it wasn't particularly uncomfortable.
Used the lacrosse ball in the meaty bit outside the shin bone. Holy hell, that was sore.

First DLs on the heavier side in about a month, too. Gave my lower back a breather for a bit. worked up to 3 sets of 160x4. Happy enough.

I used a Tim Tam power massager for the first time yesterday. f**king awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:44 pm 

Are they the things that look like power drills but actually have a ball on the end that rapidly punches in and out?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:40 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Are they the things that look like power drills but actually have a ball on the end that rapidly punches in and out?

Yup, invigorating 😂

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:30 pm 

Nolanator wrote:

Yeeb bait is obvious

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:42 pm 

BC :lol:

I had a look on Amazon for "Tim Tam power massager" and some of the sponsored products are quite clearly masturbatory implements for women and nothing like what Flaps (aptly named, lol) is talking about.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:11 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
BC :lol:

I had a look on Amazon for "Tim Tam power massager" and some of the sponsored products are quite clearly masturbatory implements for women and nothing like what Flaps (aptly named, lol) is talking about.

😂

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:04 pm 

For those doing any kind of Strava for aerobic fitness it’s been interesting looking at the numbers of the TdF cyclists.. looking at the peloton today the calories burned ranges from 2500 to 9000.. just goes to show how fecking inaccurate those things are given they are state of the art sponsored Athletes!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:16 pm 

They post their races on Strava? Where can I find them?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 621, 622, 623, 624, 625, 626, 627 ... 654  Next