Chat Forum
It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 12:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 622, 623, 624, 625, 626, 627, 628 ... 654  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:29 pm 

Yeah there’s 12 of them that posted today’s numbers. Look up Simon Clarke or Tiesj Benoit and you will find the others. The power numbers are just insane.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:38 am 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Strava/comments/cdg7jn/strava_profiles_tour_de_france_2019/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:29 am 

:thumbup:

Found a couple last night just googling them. Tour cyclists are mental.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:25 pm 

So I’ve spent the last 6 weeks on a half hearted cut, I lost a couple of lbs but the results reflected the effort I put in. Put my calories back up this week and my weight has dropped every day :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:36 pm 

Last nights deadlift session.

Worked up to 455lbs for 6 reps. Had a couple more in the tank but I don’t want to be f**ked for my trip.

Deficit deadlift 3 sets of 5 at 335lbs 2.75” deficit (45lb bumper plate)

Belt squat RDL 3 sets of 8 135lbs on the bar. 6 plates and a black band on belt squat.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:11 pm 

Had a fun session this morning. Pretty much all bench.

Few singles, few sets of 8, few lighter sets of 8 with a band, seats shower press, cable flies. Rear flies and face pulls too, to try and not destroy my shoulders.

Yesterday was DLs and back. Mid back is fried now for seal rows, SA DB rows, and narrow LPDs. Was stiff this morning as I warmed up to bench.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:26 am 

Really good session this morning. Was groggy and tired getting in, despite a solid sleep, but once I got under the bar everything just felt good and my energy was decent.

Ankle felt much better when I was squatting and my hips were good too. Worked up a bit heavier than I'd planned. Heaviest I've done in a month.

Had a good shoulder/arms session yesterday and spent a bit of extra time stretching my hips and shoulders. Think it really helped today. Wasn't too tight across my shoulders to squat comfortably, and could drop into the hole easily.

Sunday:
OHP: 60 x4,4,4, 52.5 x8,8,8
Shrugs: 110 x12 / Lat raises: 10 x12, 3 sets
Narrow bench: 70 x8, Chin ups: BW x8, 3 sets
Tri extensions / curls
Face pulls

Monday:
Squat: 120 x3, 3 sets
Front squat: 70 x6 / Back extension: 15 x12, 3 sets
Sumo DL: 110 x12*, 3 sets
Ab rollouts

*Misread my notebook from last week, where I did 3 sets of 6 on Sumo. 3 sets of 12 was difficult, but got it done with decent form. Glutes will hurt tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:31 am 

I've gone on about the frog stretch before and I recently mentioned using it with a band.

Found a pic of it. Do this, if you can. It's class. I only loop the band around one hip and then walk out a lot to get a heap of tension. Use it to pull the hips backwards, then swap legs and repeat. Can change the angle a bit so that it pulls outwards a bit as well.
Much better for keeping everything relaxed and sinking deep into the stretch.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:10 am 

Nolanator wrote:
I've gone on about the frog stretch before and I recently mentioned using it with a band.

Found a pic of it. Do this, if you can. It's class. I only loop the band around one hip and then walk out a lot to get a heap of tension. Use it to pull the hips backwards, then swap legs and repeat. Can change the angle a bit so that it pulls outwards a bit as well.
Much better for keeping everything relaxed and sinking deep into the stretch.

What???!?!?

As if frog stretch isn’t bad enough

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:18 am 

I need to go to my special place when I do it. :lol:

I do get a bit worried for other gym users if they were to look over and see me presenting my ring piece to the sky like that a grunting away.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:23 am 

Nolanator wrote:

I do get a bit worried for other gym users if they were to look over and see me presenting my ring piece to the sky like that a grunting away.

Isn't that normal behaviour for gym users?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:48 am 

Nolanator wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:03 pm 

blindcider wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Isn't that normal behaviour for gym users?

Yes, but not to this extent. :nod:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:53 pm 

Just occurred to me there that I recently found another tasty progression of a normal stretch that really hits my hips.

This is a fairly standard stretch for the quads and hip flexors. I'm so tight that when I do this, my upper (stretching) leg externally rotates and my knee points upwards a bit unless I keep it down myself, which means it's less of a stretch and more of an active hold.
Something to do with lack of hip extension ROM and looking for ways to alleviate the tension in the flexors causing this to happen.

Last week I got one of my gym buddies to press down on the knee of my top leg as I was stretching. Felt like my hips were going to explode, but it was good. Allowed me to just relax everything and let the stretch happen and my hips felt freer afterwards.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:04 pm 

Looking for a bit if advice on training for a half marathon at the end of September. I usually run between 3 and 5 miles 3 to 5 times a week depending on shifts. I am planning on doing a 5 miler, a hill sprints session and a long run increasing by a mile each week (this week was 6) until the event. Any runners with advice appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:05 pm 

OptimisticJock wrote:
Looking for a bit if advice on training for a half marathon at the end of September. I usually run between 3 and 5 miles 3 to 5 times a week depending on shifts. I am planning on doing a 5 miler, a hill sprints session and a long run increasing by a mile each week (this week was 6) until the event. Any runners with advice appreciated.

Sounds perfect TBH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:07 pm 

blindcider wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:

Sounds perfect TBH

:lol: that was easy, cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:00 am 

Absolute whopper training session this morning. Decent sleep and just felt sharp straight away.

Manged a 23:28 Parkrun on Saturday. Felt very rough immediately after the finish, but I haven't gone under 23:30 in a while.

Sunday was shoulders and arms.
OHP: 60x4, 62x4, 63x4, 55x8,8,8
Shrugs / lat raises
Curls variations
Tricep extention variations
Facepulls

Today:
Squat: 120 x5 5 sets
Low bar squat: 100 x5, 3 sets
Front squat: 60 x8 / Back extensions: 15 x12, 3 sets
Sumo DL: 120 x8 / Ab rollout: x12, 3 sets

Squats felt as good as they have in a long time. Pretty clean form, no discomfort. Think all the banded hip work is paying off. Manky ankle is still manky if I stretch it too aggressively, but I can do a decent squat without any bother.

Now to sit down all day and have my lower back seize up. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:09 am 

Been away from this thread abit as I hadn't really been doing training for anything, I was just enjoying my cycling and trying not to be too fussed with numbers etc.

Starting training now for a big event in September. I mean I reckon I could do the event as is but if I want some good time and not to feel like dying throughout it's best to do it. Kind of dreading it as the chap I usually train with is a bit intense but I think I'm going into the training far fitter than him so let's see how it goes!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:18 pm 

Signed up for our local David Lloyd and they've got the bodytrax body composition testing machine - are the results from these worth paying any attention to?

Some bad news about my body fat percentage and metabolic age, and the individual composition weights added up to about 150% of my weight, but I'm apparently a lot more muscley than is the norm. I suspect it's double accounting my double chin and belly fat.

I've set targets to reduce weight and body fat percentage, but I've no clue what most of the other measures refer to - are any others in any way useful for seeing how fit I am/am not?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:28 pm 

Is that one of those machines which measure impedance through a couple of handles or foot plates and then extrapolate BF% from it?

They are hugely susceptible to various influences. Your hydration level, for example will significantly influence the measurement. AFAIK, the output also comes with substantial inherent error/inaccuracy.

If you're trying to track fat loss, I'd always recommend calipers measurements. They're way more accurate, provided the person taking the measurement is skilled at it. Even if there's a systematic error in how your overall BF% is calculated, you can get an idea of fat loss by the raw value of the skinfold measurements.
If you can't get someone to do skinfolds, weighing scales and measuring tape around a few key sites (waist, chest, upper arm, thigh, neck, etc) will help you see how you're doing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:42 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Is that one of those machines which measure impedance through a couple of handles or foot plates and then extrapolate BF% from it?

They are hugely susceptible to various influences. Your hydration level, for example will significantly influence the measurement. AFAIK, the output also comes with substantial inherent error/inaccuracy.

If you're trying to track fat loss, I'd always recommend calipers measurements. They're way more accurate, provided the person taking the measurement is skilled at it. Even if there's a systematic error in how your overall BF% is calculated, you can get an idea of fat loss by the raw value of the skinfold measurements.
If you can't get someone to do skinfolds, weighing scales and measuring tape around a few key sites (waist, chest, upper arm, thigh, neck, etc) will help you see how you're doing.

They're the ones. The results so far seem a bit variable, I've made sure I measure myself at the end of exercise to try and get some consistency but the scores are pretty up and down. In the first week I apparently gained 2kg but lost 0.8% bodyfat which doesn't make a huge amount of sense.

I'm only really using the machine as an outline guide and as a form of motivation, but it still needs to have a degree of accuracy to be worth persevering with.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:49 pm 

I mean, it's entirely possible to gain 2kg and lose a small amount of BF if you have a lot of digesting food in your gut/you're holding back a big poo.
Week-to-week variations can be quite misleading. I'd say look at the scales (as well as the bodytrax numbers) and maybe a tape measure or two if you care that much. Then track how they change over a matter of weeks. As you say, try and measure under the same conditions each time, as much as you can, to eliminate as many variables as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:46 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:07 pm 

Does anybody take any supplements?

I’m thinking about getting back into lifting seriously...still do a pre-workout to get my tail up after a day at work, other than that I’m thinking I might take something for recovery...thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:17 pm 

Appropriate amounts of protein, carbs, and fats are the best supplements. And 8 hours of sleep a night.

Failing that, decent quality whey is your friend to increase your protein intake if you have trouble getting enough in.

Creatine will help with recovery, but the effects are likely to be very small in comparison to general diet, sleep, and appropriate training program.

I take a whey, creatine, and ground oats shake after the gym for protein and calories. I work out in the morning on minimal food, so I want to get stuff in my stomach reasonably quickly. I also take a caffeine supplement beforehand.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:33 pm 

I did creatine over two periods - first when I was 18 made bugger all difference. Tried it again about 2 years later and bulked up a bit but my strength increased a lot (could do TWO pull ups ! Etc)

Suspect my training regime effectiveness was better at club I was being paid to attend , than at school. Eating lots helped also. But I still think my metabolism at those stages in my life had an effect , as I was still gaining a bit of height when I was 18

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:33 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Appropriate amounts of protein, carbs, and fats are the best supplements. And 8 hours of sleep a night.

Failing that, decent quality whey is your friend to increase your protein intake if you have trouble getting enough in.

Creatine will help with recovery, but the effects are likely to be very small in comparison to general diet, sleep, and appropriate training program.

I take a whey, creatine, and ground oats shake after the gym for protein and calories. I work out in the morning on minimal food, so I want to get stuff in my stomach reasonably quickly. I also take a caffeine supplement beforehand.

:thumbup:

I’m thinking of taking a BCAA-medley-type of post-workout. Diet is actually pretty good, though I might just add a scoop of some good whey as I tend not to eat for a while after I finish my workout. Which I understand is not ideal.

Been awhile since I’ve taken creatine; it was all the rage when I was in high school but then took a bit of a PR beating. I guess it’s back!

Last edited by fonzeee on Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:52 pm 

I don’t have any supporting info, but BCAA’s seem to be the most debunked supplement of the past few years. Consensus seems to be that they may make 0.001% type difference.

I only really take whey protein these days, and only if I can’t get enough protein in via regular food. Probably have a shake a week. Obviously, I exclude pre-workout and other methods of stuffing my body with caffeine. When I think about how much time and effort I used to put into comparing and then choosing a supplement... :blush: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:54 pm 

Also, creatine seems to be one of the few natural supplements that actually works. Although it won’t have the steroid-like effect that some people peddle.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:59 pm 

Stevus55 wrote:
I don’t have any supporting info, but BCAA’s seem to be the most debunked supplement of the past few years. Consensus seems to be that they may make 0.001% type difference.

I only really take whey protein these days, and only if I can’t get enough protein in via regular food. Probably have a shake a week. Obviously, I exclude pre-workout and other methods of stuffing my body with caffeine. When I think about how much time and effort I used to put into comparing and then choosing a supplement... :blush: :lol:

Aaaaand that’s why I asked :lol:

Will look into it but a cursory google seems to bear that out.

Creatine looking good though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:39 pm 

BCAAs always seemed to massively help me recover from heavy powerlifting sessions (could barely move the next day without them) :?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:35 pm 

I've stopped taking BCAA's. Didn't notice a marked difference and it's probably just a waste of my money. If you've got everything else perfect, then those sorts of supplements might make more of a difference. But, for a normal person who balances work, family, sleep, exercise etc, diet and sleep are the biggies for recovery.

On creatine, Eric Helms gives a fairly comprehensive overview here. If you want more detail.
https://youtu.be/r9eCtOFIf40

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:39 pm 

Stevus55 wrote:
Also, creatine seems to be one of the few natural supplements that actually works. Although it won’t have the steroid-like effect that some people peddle.

Did I tell you that my mum recently discovered that I use creatine?
She was properly "not angry but disappointed". :lol:
The classic, it's basically anabolics, attitude.

I'm a 31 year old man, dammit, and I felt like I'd been caught lying. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:54 pm 

If you’re going to use an amino acid product( which id say don’t bother unless you’re in a big calorie deficit) then use an EAA product.

Think BCAA only have 3 aminos, whereas EAA has more ( I think 5 or 7 but can’t remember).

Personally I think if you’re serious about training, particularly explosive type movements, then take creatine.

I’ve just started using creatine again after a while off. Also just started using a post workout shake for the first time in years. I’m sure the difference is tiny but if I have that whey anyway, I might as well benefit even a small amount.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:56 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Stevus55 wrote:

Do you notice any effect like that? As in, does creatine act as a stimulant in any way?

Sorry for answering for Nol but

It just increases the creatine in your muscles which is used in energy production. So potentially you can work longer and hard ( that’s what she said).

It’s not a stimulant and other than some water retention shouldn’t have side effects.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:00 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Stevus55 wrote:

:lol:

I can remember having that very frustrating conversation with my mother too. Also protein powder is something she can never get her head around. And she has worked most of her life in medical science :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:25 pm 

MiB, what NPB said.
It's not a stimulant in any way. It simply helps you do shorter intense exercise for a bit longer or a bit more intensely. That has obvious benefits to most resistance training (presuming you're not doing 20 rep sets).

It should help with explosive work, but it won't compensate for only getting four hours of sleep. Nothing mucks with your motor control and efficiency quite like lack of sleep.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:29 pm 

Diagnosis required.
Probably pulled something in my elbows. Very painful lifting with bent arms (frequently required with small children). Pain comes from the funny bone.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:36 pm 

Any specific incident cause the pain initially, or was it gradual?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 622, 623, 624, 625, 626, 627, 628 ... 654  Next