Chat Forum
It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 2:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 623, 624, 625, 626, 627, 628, 629 ... 654  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:41 pm 

Lifting of small children started it and their gradual increase in weight over time isn't helping. It's now affecting lots of everyday activities that require lifting even moderate weight.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:44 pm 

Is the pain in a squishy area of tissue right down around the point of the funny bone? In a joint? From the bone itself?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:50 pm 

The bone itself.
Not so bad if I lift with straight arms but with arms at 90 Deg angle, it's worse than childbirth.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:08 pm 

Good session tonight

Bench
107x5
130x3
142x1
107x5
107x5
107x5

Squats
5x5 155

Db row
4x10 40

Bb curls
3x12 30
Plus 1 rest pause set

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:49 am 

Uncle Fester wrote:
The bone itself.
Not so bad if I lift with straight arms but with arms at 90 Deg angle, it's worse than childbirth.

Go see a doctor? I'm out! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:29 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Stevus55 wrote:
Also, creatine seems to be one of the few natural supplements that actually works. Although it won’t have the steroid-like effect that some people peddle.

Did I tell you that my mum recently discovered that I use creatine?
She was properly "not angry but disappointed". :lol:
The classic, it's basically anabolics, attitude.

I'm a 31 year old man, dammit, and I felt like I'd been caught lying. :lol:

:lol: I remember my mum being very concerned at first that protein powder would be addictive and cause withdrawals and other side effects if I stopped :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:31 am 

Had a really good DL session this morning. Got good sleep the last couple of nights and it must have helped. 8 hours on Tuesday night, >7 on Wednesday.

Ended up going heavier than planned because it was going so well.

DL: 170x3, 180x2, 185x2, 190x1, 170x3
Hip thrust: 170 x12 / Seal row: 75 x6, 3 sets
SA DB row: 27.5 x12, 3 sets
Narrow LPD / Ab rollouts
EZ curls

The bar speed on the top set was still really good, and I didn't feel like I was grinding too much. Was very tempted to push for the 200, but it would have been a fairly big jump and I wasn't planning on doing absolute max effort, balls out, RPE 10 etc singles today.

Outrageous vein-age on my neck halfway through the reps. :lol:
Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:37 am 

Stevus55 wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Stevus55 wrote:
Also, creatine seems to be one of the few natural supplements that actually works. Although it won’t have the steroid-like effect that some people peddle.

:lol: I remember my mum being very concerned at first that protein powder would be addictive and cause withdrawals and other side effects if I stopped :lol:

You are all dirty dopers on the highway to hell... :nod:

Never taken any supplements of any description - I suspect that I'm not organised/consistent enough in my training to get real value from it anyway.

Marathon training is continuing but I am still recovering from the UK Challenge event at the start of July and have very little energy.

I have been following the DecaIronman at Brutal Events for the last 10 days or so as I know 2 or 3 of the competitors and its so inspiring, still have that 'one-day' inkling building in my hind-brain... Winners came in on the continuous deca at 240ish hours, its the final day of the 1-a-day race today as well. Just the small matter of a 24 mile swim, 1120 mile bike and a 262 mile run :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:17 pm 

Nol, take that pic down. It’s making me feel fat :frown:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:22 pm 

It's just the belt squeezing it all in. I also realised that there's a skylight just above where I was standing for the half-natty lighting. That's my new deadlifting spot. :nod:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:25 pm 

I’m developing the powerlifter body where I look good in a loose shirt with tight sleeves :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:34 pm 

The unicorn combo. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:17 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Had a really good DL session this morning. Got good sleep the last couple of nights and it must have helped. 8 hours on Tuesday night, >7 on Wednesday.

Ended up going heavier than planned because it was going so well.

DL: 170x3, 180x2, 185x2, 190x1, 170x3
Hip thrust: 170 x12 / Seal row: 75 x6, 3 sets
SA DB row: 27.5 x12, 3 sets
Narrow LPD / Ab rollouts
EZ curls

The bar speed on the top set was still really good, and I didn't feel like I was grinding too much. Was very tempted to push for the 200, but it would have been a fairly big jump and I wasn't planning on doing absolute max effort, balls out, RPE 10 etc singles today.

Outrageous vein-age on my neck halfway through the reps. :lol:

That kiwi chick on the left is thinking “where are his eyebrows and calf muscles ?”

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:56 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
It's just the belt squeezing it all in. I also realised that there's a skylight just above where I was standing for the half-natty lighting. That's my new deadlifting spot. :nod:

Be careful that there’s not too much sun shining through it... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:23 am 

I'm not that fucking pale. :((

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:31 am 

You kind of are - presume that’s your tall brother standing between you and the kiwi chick with his shirt off ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:33 am 

Joost wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Be careful that there’s not too much sun shining through it... ;)

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:36 am 

Enjoying squats at the moment, which is great, but it means that I'm happy to do daft amounts of volume in a session. Now I'm at my desk planning a day of computer work and trying to minimise the number of time I need to go downstairs to the lab.

Thankfully, there's ample cake within arm's reach.

Squats: 125 x5, 5 sets
Low bar squats: 100 x8, 3 sets
Narrow stance front squats: 60 x8, 3 sets
Sumo DL: 120 x8 / Ab rollouts, 3 sets

Changed up the front squats to a very narrow stance with my heels elevated on a 10kg plate (plus lifting shoes) to focus on the quads. Good grief, it certainly works them hard.
Technique on the final set of sumo DLs was comically bad, was just so fucked I couldn't get it right.

A guy asked to work in with me on squats and jumped straight in at 100 and promptly failed, but didn't know how to bail properly (I didn't have the safety pins in). He tipped too far forward so he couldn't dump it backwards, managed to let go with one hand, and tried to do a horrible twisted squat before I got to him and took the bar off his shoulders. x(
Turned out he'd had a bit of time out of the gym with a newborn at home, and tried to jump straight back in at the weights/reps he'd been doing a few months ago. That never works!

Learning how to fail a lift should be one of the first technique things you're taught by a PT.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:38 am 

Nolanator wrote:
A guy asked to work in with me on squats and jumped straight in at 100 and promptly failed, but didn't know how to bail properly (I didn't have the safety pins in). He tipped too far forward so he couldn't dump it backwards, managed to let go with one hand, and tried to do a horrible twisted squat before I got to him and took the bar off his shoulders. x(
Turned out he'd had a bit of time out of the gym with a newborn at home, and tried to jump straight back in at the weights/reps he'd been doing a few months ago. That never works!

Learning how to fail a lift should be one of the first technique things you're taught by a PT.

Damn, could have been worse. One time I was lounging around in between sets, headphones in, when I turn around and see a scrawny kid trapped under the bar on the bench, barely keeping the bar above his neck, apparently trying to get my attention without being crushed. Thankfully I noticed in the nick of time and chucked the bar onto the rack (must have been like 105 lbs)...another guy I knew fcked his back up trying to get a squat out, another his rotator cuff on the shoulder press...nowadays I don't do anything without taking precautions, even if it means not pushing out that final rep (as I often workout without a spotter).

I know I shouldn't but I still can't help but giggle remembering the mortal fear in this guy's face with two little plates on each side... :lol: :blush:

It can be hard to balance "know your limits" with "challenge yourself".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:44 am 

Anywho, I've taken the excellent advice on this thread and have invested in some creatine (cheers for the excellent video Nolanator). Also got some decent protein. Both of them have some BCAAs included so I've covered my bases there as well.

Will report back.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:06 am 

I've recently got back into the weights room.

How do you guys manage running and squatting/deadlifts? It's hard enough for me to fit in one squat session and one deadlift session a week and give my legs time to recover ... not sure how I'm going to squeeze in a few runs on top of that. :|

Probably doesn't sound like much considering the workouts some people post here, but my legs are pretty f-cked for days after doing either thing, even after I've got used to it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:11 am 

fonzeee wrote:
Anywho, I've taken the excellent advice on this thread and have invested in some creatine (cheers for the excellent video Nolanator). Also got some decent protein. Both of them have some BCAAs included so I've covered my bases there as well.

Will report back.

You don't need to worry about BCAAs. Really, any supplements you take are going to make a 0.5% difference to whatever you're trying to achieve. The other 95.5% is your food, sleep and training.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:33 am 

Ika, I squat Monday, DL Thursday, and run Saturday.

All are fairly intense, so I spread them out.

Occasionally I'll do an easy run on Wednesday, so it doesn't affect my ability to DL the next day. I won't run the day before squats. Even if it don't go at it too hard I'm noticeably stiffer the next day and can't get my technique right.

That said, start without overdoing it and you can build it up. The body can handle a remarkable amount of training volume if you gradually build it up and keep doing it consistently.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:53 am 

My gym refurbished an area and opened it up today. Lots of "functional" stuff. A few of us went up and were like kids in a playground. The highlight being a prowler and 10 metre fake grass track, with ruler markings. There's also a heavy rope, proper cushioned boxes for jumping, slam balls, and a new utility frame with monkey bars and places for various attachments.

Had a brilliant session, must have been enthused by the new equipment. Had only intended on doing 3x3 on DLs because my legs are still a bit sore from Monday's session, but the bar was absolutely flying up, so I went for a max.

Worked up to 180x3x3, then singles at 190, 205, 210. Previous PR was 200, which I equalled a couple of times earlier this year. Beat a lifetime PR twice in one session. Absolutely thrilled. The 210 felt rough, but went fine.
Did my usual glutes/back session and then finished with a few sets of prowler pushes and just picking up the 30kg slam ball from floor to shoulder. I've never used a prowler before. It horrible, in a good way. :thumbup:

Last edited by Nolanator on Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:08 pm 

After two weeks on holiday I did 45 min erg on Tuesday where I think I actually sweated cheese.

4 x 1k sprint pieces last night, can bloody feel it this morning. Amazing the difference a few weeks off can make!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:17 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Stevus55 wrote:

:lol:

I can remember having that very frustrating conversation with my mother too. Also protein powder is something she can never get her head around. And she has worked most of her life in medical science :lol:

To be honest, I never noticed one iota of difference using creatine, although I accept the science that says it's one of the few supplements that has a small benefit as opposed to zero benefit.

I don't use it anymore, even though it's cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:36 pm 

Hoping for some sensible advice (fat chance I know)
40 y/o front rower here, 6ft, 15.5st. Recently gotten back into the gym. Can knock out a 5k run handy enough, so cardio isn't too bad. Been mostly focused on leg work and core work but want to start working arms, back and chest more.
Question, if I am looking for a combination of increased strength with any body toning/build up a welcome addition, how should i be setting my reps?
I'm guessing the old scholl 3 x 10 with progressive weight addition may be pooh poohed these days, but have no idea how I should be loading? Should I go as heavy as I can after a warm up and stay there?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:58 pm 

Aim for three sets of 6-10 Last set should be fairly difficult, maybe only one or two reps left in the tank. Strength gains will come with increased proficiency in the various lifts as your "skill" and technique improves. Muscle tone will come with the hypertrophy that comes with the training.

How many sessions per week will you be working upper body?
If you wanted, you could go one session with about 10 reps per set, and another with about 4-6 reps per set at heavier weights.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:05 pm 

rialtoblue wrote:
Hoping for some sensible advice (fat chance I know)
40 y/o front rower here, 6ft, 15.5st. Recently gotten back into the gym. Can knock out a 5k run handy enough, so cardio isn't too bad. Been mostly focused on leg work and core work but want to start working arms, back and chest more.
Question, if I am looking for a combination of increased strength with any body toning/build up a welcome addition, how should i be setting my reps?
I'm guessing the old scholl 3 x 10 with progressive weight addition may be pooh poohed these days, but have no idea how I should be loading? Should I go as heavy as I can after a warm up and stay there?

It honestly doesn't matter. 3 x 10 is fine. 5 x 5 is fine. I'm sure 2 x 15 would be fine. Those numbers don't matter, what matters is putting progressive load on your muscles to force them to adapt by lifting heavy things until it gets difficult. All these different "special" work-outs are just a means to the same end.

If you want to "tone" you need to lose body fat by eating less (or moving more). Of course, lifting weights is great to help ensure you don't lose muscle mass. That's basically "toning": retaining your muscle mass and shrinking your fat mass. If you want to "build up" you need gain muscle mass by eating more and lifting heavy objects.

The two goals are unfortunately pretty much mutually exclusive. Although I've heard people claim they can do it, I've never seen anyone do it personally, and I know that all serious athletes that need to manipulate their weight/fat from boxers to bodybuilders to MMA fighters all do it by alternating periods of "building" and "toning" (or "bulking" and "cutting"), they don't try and do them simultaneously for a good reason.

Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:05 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Aim for three sets of 6-10 Last set should be fairly difficult, maybe only one or two reps left in the tank. Strength gains will come with increased proficiency in the various lifts as your "skill" and technique improves. Muscle tone will come with the hypertrophy that comes with the training.

If you wanted, you could go one session with about 10 reps per set, and another with about 4-6 reps per set at heavier weights.

Thanks Nols. Usually get out two evenings a week, and get some outside exercise at the weekend

So taking your advice, would that mean say sets of 10 on a tuesday not at my maximum and sets of 6 on a thursday where I'm really pushing?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:10 pm 

rialtoblue wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Thanks Nols. Usually get out two evenings a week, and get some outside exercise at the weekend

So taking your advice, would that mean say sets of 10 on a tuesday not at my maximum and sets of 6 on a thursday where I'm really pushing?

Well, your max for 3 sets of 10 is different from your max for 3 sets of 6. You don't need to be going to proper failure every session, just chose the weight so that by the end of the third set you could do another rep or two if you have to. You don't need to absolutely smash your muscles to stimulate growth, you just need a good dose of muscle tension.
You planning on using BB/DB/machines? What kind of exercise selection?

I do find that having some variety from one session to another, even if their both generic upper body focused, means you get less bored.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:15 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
The two goals are unfortunately pretty much mutually exclusive. Although I've heard people claim they can do it, I've never seen anyone do it personally, and I know that all serious athletes that need to manipulate their weight/fat from boxers to bodybuilders to MMA fighters all do it by alternating periods of "building" and "toning" (or "bulking" and "cutting"), they don't try and do them simultaneously for a good reason.

In untrained individuals you can get pretty decent gains in strength and size at the same time. The more advanced you are as a lifter, the more you've to chase on or the other as your primary goal in a given training block.
Part of the reason is that noob strength gains aren't necessarily due to muscle adaptations. It's down to the lifter learning the technique better. If you practice your spin pass, it gets better and you get more co-ordinated at it. Lots of reps of bench press/squats/whatever will also help you improve the efficiency of the movement, so you'll be able to progressively lift more for several months. Simultaneously, hypertrophy takes place and you make gains in size (assuming appropriate sleep, nutrition etc).
At a certain point the person maximised the amount they can increase their number by technique adaptions alone, and their subsequent increases in weight lifted come from actual strength gains. This is when it becomes difficult to chase size and strength as they require slightly different stimuli.

The athletes that you mention are universally not beginners, and they undergo pretty significant changes in body composition. The dieting required to get on stage for a BBer, or make weight for a martial artist is quite severe and doesn't really translate to your average lifter, particularly inexperienced ones.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:30 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
rialtoblue wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Well, your max for 3 sets of 10 is different from your max for 3 sets of 6. You don't need to be going to proper failure every session, just chose the weight so that by the end of the third set you could do another rep or two if you have to. You don't need to absolutely smash your muscles to stimulate growth, you just need a good dose of muscle tension.
You planning on using BB/DB/machines? What kind of exercise selection?

I do find that having some variety from one session to another, even if their both generic upper body focused, means you get less bored.

Upper body Ive been using mostly BB/DB along with Lat pull down machine along with a seated row

Trying to mix it up with shoulder press, bench, inclined bench, bicep curl, bentover row, tricep curl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:38 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

In untrained individuals you can get pretty decent gains in strength and size at the same time. The more advanced you are as a lifter, the more you've to chase on or the other as your primary goal in a given training block.
Part of the reason is that noob strength gains aren't necessarily due to muscle adaptations. It's down to the lifter learning the technique better. If you practice your spin pass, it gets better and you get more co-ordinated at it. Lots of reps of bench press/squats/whatever will also help you improve the efficiency of the movement, so you'll be able to progressively lift more for several months. Simultaneously, hypertrophy takes place and you make gains in size (assuming appropriate sleep, nutrition etc).
At a certain point the person maximised the amount they can increase their number by technique adaptions alone, and their subsequent increases in weight lifted come from actual strength gains. This is when it becomes difficult to chase size and strength as they require slightly different stimuli.

The athletes that you mention are universally not beginners, and they undergo pretty significant changes in body composition. The dieting required to get on stage for a BBer, or make weight for a martial artist is quite severe and doesn't really translate to your average lifter, particularly inexperienced ones.

I wasn't talking about strength & size. I was talking about gaining muscle mass while simultaneously losing fat.

And even in that case, I'm sure there could be some conditions where it's possible. Maybe. It's just not the best way.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:43 pm 

Sounds like you've the main components covered and you're using free weights. :thumbup:

Horizontal push (bench press), vertical puss (shoulder press), horizontal pull (seated row), vertical pull (LPD).

I'd even change it a bit from what I initially said and treat one exercise as the primary exercise in that session, and the rest assistance. So:

Day 1:
"Heavy" bench, light incline. Heavy LPD, light seated row. Assistance.

Day 2:
Heavy shoulder press, light flat bench. Heavy seated row, light LPD. Assistance.

This gives a heavy push and a heavy pull each session, with lighter stuff for added rep volume, but still gives you variety across each session.
Heavy meaning around 6 reps, light meaning around 10. For assistance then you've got various isolation exercises. Arm work, lateral raises, flies.

Mixing the heavy and light across two sessions, but having a different focus for each will let you train with more intensity for both sessions, without over-doing it.

Ultimately, if you're exercising the main muscle groups through full range of motion and resistance, and eating/sleeping, you'll get some benefits. If you're fairly new to the game you'll more benefit/payback out of consistency and perseverance than any specific program over another.

Ika, gotcha. Missed your distinction. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:08 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Sounds like you've the main components covered and you're using free weights. :thumbup:

Horizontal push (bench press), vertical puss (shoulder press), horizontal pull (seated row), vertical pull (LPD).

I'd even change it a bit from what I initially said and treat one exercise as the primary exercise in that session, and the rest assistance. So:

Day 1:
"Heavy" bench, light incline. Heavy LPD, light seated row. Assistance.

Day 2:
Heavy shoulder press, light flat bench. Heavy seated row, light LPD. Assistance.

This gives a heavy push and a heavy pull each session, with lighter stuff for added rep volume, but still gives you variety across each session.
Heavy meaning around 6 reps, light meaning around 10. For assistance then you've got various isolation exercises. Arm work, lateral raises, flies.

Mixing the heavy and light across two sessions, but having a different focus for each will let you train with more intensity for both sessions, without over-doing it.

Ultimately, if you're exercising the main muscle groups through full range of motion and resistance, and eating/sleeping, you'll get some benefits. If you're fairly new to the game you'll more benefit/payback out of consistency and perseverance than any specific program over another.

Ika, gotcha. Missed your distinction. :thumbup:

That's brilliant, thanks Nols

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:21 pm 

lol, vertical puss. That sounds disgusting.

Also, meant to add...
Regarding progression. If you find yourself less tired after the three sets (particularly on the heavy exercises) add some weight. Keep increasing the weight until you feel you've hit your limit/don't have any reps in the tank. Go by feel. If it's easy, go harder! As long as you're hitting the appropriate rep range with a small amount of capacity left over, you're giving your muscles enough to be working with.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:41 pm 

Nolanator wrote:

I mean, what other orientation does it come in?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:43 pm 

fonzeee wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

I mean, what other orientation does it come in?

Ask Dozy! :lol:
I was thinking of discharge from in infection site. x(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:48 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
fonzeee wrote:

Will report back.

You don't need to worry about BCAAs. Really, any supplements you take are going to make a 0.5% difference to whatever you're trying to achieve. The other 95.5% is your food, sleep and training.

There really are a lot of excellent studies supporting the benefits of creatine. As for the BCAAs it seems it's a bit of mixed bag, works more for some than others, but if it's in there without me having to shell out more cash to find out for myself, that's good enough for me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 623, 624, 625, 626, 627, 628, 629 ... 654  Next