The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

All things Rugby
newportblue

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by newportblue »

Tehui wrote:I just heard the news. I thought Franco Columbu's passing was worthy of its own thread. A 2-time Mr Olympia is nothing to scoff at.
Insanely strong as well. Supposedly a 340kg deadlift, 302 squat and 238 bench.

I was watching something yesterday about how powerlifters spend most of their time doing sets of 5 or under. Bodybuilders generally do higher sets with lots of variety of exercises. In a lot of cases bodybuilders are stronger or just as strong as powerlifters.

Thought it was interesting.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Arnie's tribute on Instagram was quite nice. Pics of them back in their prime and growing old as buddies together.
mr flaps

Post by mr flaps »

Nice squat session on Friday.

Low bar worked up to 440lbs/200kg for 5

Front squat worked up to 315lbs/143kg for 5

Safety bar good mornings 4 sets of 8 up to 255lbs

Yoke walks. 365lbs 5 sets of 60’

Nice and sore today.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Wish I had access to a yoke, as well as farmer walk frame.
mr flaps

Post by mr flaps »

Nolanator wrote:Wish I had access to a yoke, as well as farmer walk frame.

They’re awesome. I’ve been keeping it light and doing all the runs without my belt. The core activation is unreal.
newportblue

Post by newportblue »

mr flaps wrote:Nice squat session on Friday.

Low bar worked up to 440lbs/200kg for 5

Front squat worked up to 315lbs/143kg for 5

Safety bar good mornings 4 sets of 8 up to 255lbs

Yoke walks. 365lbs 5 sets of 60’

Nice and sore today.

Good squatting :thumbup:
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

mr flaps wrote:
Nolanator wrote:Wish I had access to a yoke, as well as farmer walk frame.

They’re awesome. I’ve been keeping it light and doing all the runs without my belt. The core activation is unreal.
Yeah, whatever about the conditioning, the way it feeds back into powerlifting would be great.
mr flaps

Post by mr flaps »

Started my latest wave of 5/3/1 this week. Went to hit my 5+ on the deadlift and banged out 10 reps with 440lbs/220kg. Absolutely f**ked the next day, I felt like I had a hangover.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Just a simple 10km outing last night although I did do a 3km sprint piece as part of that. Absolutely bolloxed after it.
ManInTheBar

Post by ManInTheBar »

danny_fitz wrote:Just a simple 10km outing last night although I did do a 3km sprint piece as part of that. Absolutely bolloxed after it.
22km "race" at the weekend. I was 13 minutes quicker than last year but 6 minutes slower than I wanted to be. Oh my blisters and my bottom
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

ManInTheBar wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:Just a simple 10km outing last night although I did do a 3km sprint piece as part of that. Absolutely bolloxed after it.
22km "race" at the weekend. I was 13 minutes quicker than last year but 6 minutes slower than I wanted to be. Oh my blisters and my bottom
Dont talk to me about blisters, did nearly 60km in a quad over two days, up to Sunbury and back through the locks. Did actually tape my hands up but still tore them to bits. Got 20km erg this evening and another 30km on Sunday followed by 45km the following weekend.

Are you doing Silver Sculls?

PS The wife made a rookie mistake and forgot to change out of her normal knicks while on the erg and now has an arse like the Japanese flag.
ManInTheBar

Post by ManInTheBar »

danny_fitz wrote:
ManInTheBar wrote:
Dont talk to me about blisters, did nearly 60km in a quad over two days, up to Sunbury and back through the locks. Did actually tape my hands up but still tore them to bits. Got 20km erg this evening and another 30km on Sunday followed by 45km the following weekend.

Don't be daft! I might do Norfolk Long Distance Sculls if my hubris recovers by then. In the meantime back to flag waving at Worcester and Cambridge this weekend.

Mind, I'm hard core these days, none of this crew boat nonsense, true lonely sad sod sculler me.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

ManInTheBar wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
ManInTheBar wrote:

Don't be daft! I might do Norfolk Long Distance Sculls if my hubris recovers by then. In the meantime back to flag waving at Worcester and Cambridge this weekend.

Mind, I'm hard core these days, none of this crew boat nonsense, true lonely sad sod sculler me.
How hard is the umpire course?
ManInTheBar

Post by ManInTheBar »

danny_fitz wrote:
How hard is the umpire course?
Not really that challenging - some rote-learning, lots of practice and then it's experience to work out how and when to apply the right rules. A LOT simpler than the Laws of Rugby as in essence it is all about safety and fairness - in almost all cases the quicker crew wins.

Having said which actually READING the rules would be very salutary for many crews and coaches.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Been on holliers in the Costa Blanca for the last week. Managed a couple of runs which I did at the height of the midday sun and heat. Don't think I've ever sweated as profusely as after 5km in 30 degrees and direct sunshine. All the sensible people that I saw out running did it much later in the evening.

Hopefully I won't be too fat on returning to normality next week, but I imagine that every session will hurt.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Back after 10 days away. Didn't go bananas on booze or junk food and managed a couple of runs in ridiculous heat. No net bodyweight gain.
Straight back into a leg session this evening after flying in earlier.

Squats: 130x3, 5 sets
Low bar squats: 100x6, 3 sets
Narrow stance front squats: 60x8, 3 sets

Prowler push/pulls, KB RDLs, skipping, 3 rounds

Seated calf raises.

Shoulders were outrageously tight trying get under the bar. Form was a bit iffy in spots, but to be expected first session in 10days. Strength felt grand though. Legs utterly fried now.

Followed up the session with my quads cramping up as I pushed an empty trolley around Sainsbury's. x(
Stjudes

Post by Stjudes »

how long did you bench session take prior to the holidays Nolanator?

I am hotel bound during the week and have a gym at my disposal, tiny gym with smyth machine being the only barbell. Anyway it would take me the guts of 90 mins or more to do what you have done, with a fraction of the plates.

I went back rugby training last night after 6-7 years away from the game. I jog about 30km a week and am 15kg lighter than my player days so thought I would not embarrass myself. How wrong I was. I am absolutely wrecked today. I have a third ankle from some 20 year old kid side stepping me and my legs only go from slow to not so slow. No sprint in them whatsoever, even to save my life.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Stjudes wrote:how long did you bench session take prior to the holidays Nolanator?

I am hotel bound during the week and have a gym at my disposal, tiny gym with smyth machine being the only barbell. Anyway it would take me the guts of 90 mins or more to do what you have done, with a fraction of the plates.
No comment. :blush:

This morning's session was as follows and took 2 hours including warming up and gradually ramping up to the working sets.

Bench: 90x2, 95x2,2,1, 92.5x2,2
Bench EMOM: 75 x3, 10 sets
Pin bench: 70 x8 / Pullups: BW x8, 3 sets
Cable lat pullover 3 sets
Rope face pulls 3 sets
Cable TPD 3 sets
SA Cable TKB 3 sets

Form was shite, strength was shite. Wanted 5 sets of 3 at 95 and couldn't even manage 3 sets of 2. First benching in 10 days and I'm very sore from yesterday's squats, so it's not hugely surprising.
mr flaps

Post by mr flaps »

My last over head session went well. The extra volume and frequency is starting to pay off.

Strict press worked up to 230lb/105kg for 3.

Seated Dumbbell press 6 sets of 6 90lb/40kg

Floor press 3 sets of 8 205lb/93kg

Tricep extension/push downs.
newportblue

Post by newportblue »

mr flaps wrote:My last over head session went well. The extra volume and frequency is starting to pay off.

Great pressing mate.

How often are you pressing now?
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Big numbers, Flaps. :thumbup:

My legs and chest are in bits. Standing up out of my chair hurts, opening a door hurts. Yesterday I let out a really loud groan as I sat down on the toilet and then realised that there was someone in the adjacent cubicle. Can only imagine what they thought I was doing.
mr flaps

Post by mr flaps »

newportblue wrote:
mr flaps wrote:My last over head session went well. The extra volume and frequency is starting to pay off.

Great pressing mate.

Thanks. I still press twice a week, but on my second day I prioritize overhead to bench press. So my first pressing session starts with a regular bar doing 5/3/1 strict press and the second day is 5 sets of 5 log push press. No conventional benching at all, just close grip and floor pressing for lock out strength.

On my next training block I’ll add a third day just for circus Dumbbell.
newportblue

Post by newportblue »

mr flaps wrote:
newportblue wrote:

Great pressing mate.

Thanks. I still press twice a week, but on my second day I prioritize overhead to bench press. So my first pressing session starts with a regular bar doing 5/3/1 strict press and the second day is 5 sets of 5 log push press. No conventional benching at all, just close grip and floor pressing for lock out strength.

On my next training block I’ll add a third day just for circus Dumbbell.
Interesting. I assumed you’d have higher frequency then that
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Just entered a marathon within an old prison (its now a museum). 78 laps up and down stairs and along corridors.

Seriously what is wrong with me? Why do I put myself through this shit?
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Seek help. :lol:
newportblue

Post by newportblue »

blindcider wrote:Just entered a marathon within an old prison (its now a museum). 78 laps up and down stairs and along corridors.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

blindcider wrote:Just entered a marathon within an old prison (its now a museum). 78 laps up and down stairs and along corridors.

Could be worse, you could be rowing 45km this Saturday
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

Glenn Pendlay passed away. Really kicked off US Olympic Weightlifting
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

DLs this morning. Absolutely destroyed me. My lower back muscles were so fired that it felt like I was going to shit my kidneys out. Felt better after a bit. Didn't feel like anything particularly bad, just utterly fatigued.

DL: 170x4, 5 sets
Hip thrusts: 170 x12 / T-bar row: 35 x8, 3 sets
Seal row
Narrow LPD
Curls
Skipping/KB carries/leg raises.

Another guy and girl were DLing in the same area as me, was a good environment to just power through sets. His top sets were 240kg, between him, me, and someone else squatting, there were no 25kg plates left.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

danny_fitz wrote:

Yeah, no ta!

Good luck, we are all counting on you
backrow

Post by backrow »

Nolanator wrote:Big numbers, Flaps. :thumbup:

My legs and chest are in bits. Standing up out of my chair hurts, opening a door hurts. Yesterday I let out a really loud groan as I sat down on the toilet and then realised that there was someone in the adjacent cubicle. Can only imagine what they thought I was doing.
Surely you are used to groaning in gents toilet cubicles eh, sailor boy ducky
ManInTheBar

Post by ManInTheBar »

danny_fitz wrote:

Boston?
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

lol. Just had a big stretch where I reached behind my head and both brachioradialis muscles cramped really badly. On my right side it was so bad that it looked like there was something moving under the skin just below the elbow like something out of Alien. Took a minute for it to pass and I couldn't straighten my arm. Ouch.
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Above have suggestion for exercise that might help lower back pain, or strengthen my back to help deal with lower back pain a bit? Have had a problem for 6 or 7 years now in my lower left back, it's fine maybe 75% of the time but the other 25% I can feel pain build up, eventually it'll pop, I'll be in agony for a night (usually take a difene), then it'll fade back to normality until it starts building up again. Doing anything especially strenuous speeds up the whole cycle. I don't really exercise much at the moment bar cycling every day to work.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

ManInTheBar wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

Boston?
Raid de Porquerelles near Toulon

44.4 km coastal rowing race. First time they have hosted this event but there seems to be a good turn out. They offered free entry to the first international crew to apply which happened to be Twickenham.

Basically rowing around these islands then going on the lash.

ManInTheBar

Post by ManInTheBar »

danny_fitz wrote:
ManInTheBar wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

Boston?
Raid de Porquerelles near Toulon

44.4 km coastal rowing race. First time they have hosted this event but there seems to be a good turn out. They offered free entry to the first international crew to apply which happened to be Twickenham.

Basically rowing around these islands then going on the lash.
Spoiler: show
Sounds (and looks) fantastic! I hope your posterior survives.
Rocky Rockbottom

Post by Rocky Rockbottom »

danthefan wrote:Above have suggestion for exercise that might help lower back pain, or strengthen my back to help deal with lower back pain a bit? Have had a problem for 6 or 7 years now in my lower left back, it's fine maybe 75% of the time but the other 25% I can feel pain build up, eventually it'll pop, I'll be in agony for a night (usually take a difene), then it'll fade back to normality until it starts building up again. Doing anything especially strenuous speeds up the whole cycle. I don't really exercise much at the moment bar cycling every day to work.
Lie flat on your back and bring your knees up and hold them to your chest. Tailbone a bit up off the floor. Hold that position for a bit. Fixed my lower back issues completely
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

danthefan wrote:Above have suggestion for exercise that might help lower back pain, or strengthen my back to help deal with lower back pain a bit? Have had a problem for 6 or 7 years now in my lower left back, it's fine maybe 75% of the time but the other 25% I can feel pain build up, eventually it'll pop, I'll be in agony for a night (usually take a difene), then it'll fade back to normality until it starts building up again. Doing anything especially strenuous speeds up the whole cycle. I don't really exercise much at the moment bar cycling every day to work.
Hip issues causing lower back trouble is my jam. :o :((

Presume you've a fairly sedentary lifestyle? Sitting in work, driving, sitting at home etc?

Ever had it checked out? Sounds like a fairly straight forward back spasm. Ever get tingling or pain radiating down the outside or back of your legs from your lower back? Ever have issues with your groin muscles.

Without a proper diagnosis, I'd recommend stretching your hips and strengthening your glutes.
If you get the pain down one side of your back I'll take a stab and say that one of your hips is more problematic than the other, so your stance in your hips and pelvic area is thrown off a bit and this manifests itself as the muscle spasm, which f**king hurts.

Stretching first.

Hip flexor stretch. Seems simple, but it helps. Squeeze the arse cheek of your trailing leg and try and keep your torso as upright as possible as you sink forward into it. Don't let your lower back arch as you keep your chest up. You should feel the stretch primarily in the front of the hip area. You'll get some stretch down the front of your thigh, but you want to try and focus it in the hip.

Single leg groin stretch. Loads of variations on this. You want to feel the stretch right in the top of your groin in the hip. When you start it you might feel the stretch more lower down your inner thigh if the muscles are tight, but after a week or two you should be able to go further and get the stretch up higher.
Try squeeze the arse cheek of the leg you're stretching. You can play around with leaning forward onto your hands, kneeling rather than squatting on your non-stretching leg. Muck around to see what feels good.

Frog stretch. This is an absolute bastard. Take it slowly and build it up over a number of seconds, you'll need a mat or cushions under your knees. It'll force your hips open, a lot. Sink backwards to stretch more, keeping your torso level with the ground. Then slide forward a bit to focus the stretch onto a different part of the hips.
I've found this one to be really useful for relieving lower back stiffness/pain. It's not particularly pleasant for most guys, though. Women tend to have way more range of movement and flexibility in this posture.

Glute strengthening.

Side raises. Fairly straightforward. Lie on your side and raise your leg up to the side as far as you can without causing your hips to shift. Make sure the effort is through your arse cheek, not your outer thigh. Place your upper hand on your glute as a cue to yourself as to where the effort should be. Few sets of 15-20. You'll feel a burn in the glute. You can even raise the leg slightly behind the line of your body to emphasise the glute work.

Glute bridges. Simple enough. Think of pushing the floor down, rather than raising your hips. The effort should be in the glutes, not the hamstrings. If you feel the hamstrings taking over, try raising you toes off the floor or bringing your feet closer to your arse. Place your hands of your belly, your abs should be engaged, not slack, and shouldn't change posture throughout the movement. Don't let your lower back arch.
You can progress this to single leg versions to bring in more effort on your core to control it. Again, 15-20 reps for a few sets.

Groin bridge. Not strictly your glutes, but it'll help develop good hip posture. Can do it on a chair of coffee table etc with a towel under the supporting knee.
This can be quite difficult to start with. If you feel an acute pinch in your groin, stop, or slide further along the chair/bench so that you're supported on your inner thigh. For this you want to squeeze your shoulderblades back and down, engage you core muscles, and the glute of the supporting leg. Keep your hips perpendicular to the floor, don't roll forwards or backwards. Hold this for like 20 seconds each side and build the length over time as you improve. You can progress the difficulty by moving further and further away from the chair, so that the leg is supported below the knee.
newportblue

Post by newportblue »

Nolanator wrote:
Hip issues causing lower back trouble is my jam. :o :((

Presume you've a fairly sedentary lifestyle? Sitting in work, driving, sitting at home etc?

Ever had it checked out? Sounds like a fairly straight forward back spasm. Ever get tingling or pain radiating down the outside or back of your legs from your lower back? Ever have issues with your groin muscles.

Without a proper diagnosis, I'd recommend stretching your hips and strengthening your glutes.
If you get the pain down one side of your back I'll take a stab and say that one of your hips is more problematic than the other, so your stance in your hips and pelvic area is thrown off a bit and this manifests itself as the muscle spasm, which f**king hurts.

Stretching first.

Hip flexor stretch. Seems simple, but it helps. Squeeze the arse cheek of your trailing leg and try and keep your torso as upright as possible as you sink forward into it. Don't let your lower back arch as you keep your chest up. You should feel the stretch primarily in the front of the hip area. You'll get some stretch down the front of your thigh, but you want to try and focus it in the hip.

Single leg groin stretch. Loads of variations on this. You want to feel the stretch right in the top of your groin in the hip. When you start it you might feel the stretch more lower down your inner thigh if the muscles are tight, but after a week or two you should be able to go further and get the stretch up higher.
Try squeeze the arse cheek of the leg you're stretching. You can play around with leaning forward onto your hands, kneeling rather than squatting on your non-stretching leg. Muck around to see what feels good.

Frog stretch. This is an absolute bastard. Take it slowly and build it up over a number of seconds, you'll need a mat or cushions under your knees. It'll force your hips open, a lot. Sink backwards to stretch more, keeping your torso level with the ground. Then slide forward a bit to focus the stretch onto a different part of the hips.
I've found this one to be really useful for relieving lower back stiffness/pain. It's not particularly pleasant for most guys, though. Women tend to have way more range of movement and flexibility in this posture.

Glute strengthening.

Side raises. Fairly straightforward. Lie on your side and raise your leg up to the side as far as you can without causing your hips to shift. Make sure the effort is through your arse cheek, not your outer thigh. Place your upper hand on your glute as a cue to yourself as to where the effort should be. Few sets of 15-20. You'll feel a burn in the glute. You can even raise the leg slightly behind the line of your body to emphasise the glute work.

Glute bridges. Simple enough. Think of pushing the floor down, rather than raising your hips. The effort should be in the glutes, not the hamstrings. If you feel the hamstrings taking over, try raising you toes off the floor or bringing your feet closer to your arse. Place your hands of your belly, your abs should be engaged, not slack, and shouldn't change posture throughout the movement. Don't let your lower back arch.
You can progress this to single leg versions to bring in more effort on your core to control it. Again, 15-20 reps for a few sets.

Groin bridge. Not strictly your glutes, but it'll help develop good hip posture. Can do it on a chair of coffee table etc with a towel under the supporting knee.
This can be quite difficult to start with. If you feel an acute pinch in your groin, stop, or slide further along the chair/bench so that you're supported on your inner thigh. For this you want to squeeze your shoulderblades back and down, engage you core muscles, and the glute of the supporting leg. Keep your hips perpendicular to the floor, don't roll forwards or backwards. Hold this for like 20 seconds each side and build the length over time as you improve. You can progress the difficulty by moving further and further away from the chair, so that the leg is supported below the knee.
All of this.

Stretching my hips and groin has minimised my back pain.

I do it every day, either as a warm up or on it’s own on the days I don’t lift.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Strictly speaking, you shouldn't be using your lower back too much in a KB swing, although it is used a bit. It's a hinge exercise. Any hinge movement is driven by the glutes, the lower back just braces isometrically. That'll strengthen in a bit, but not as much as something like DLs, which places it under much greater isometric contraction.

The important thing is that often lower back isn't because of a weak lower back, it's due to issues in the hips/pelvis. Strengthening the lower back won't address those underlying problems.