danthefan wrote:Above have suggestion for exercise that might help lower back pain, or strengthen my back to help deal with lower back pain a bit? Have had a problem for 6 or 7 years now in my lower left back, it's fine maybe 75% of the time but the other 25% I can feel pain build up, eventually it'll pop, I'll be in agony for a night (usually take a difene), then it'll fade back to normality until it starts building up again. Doing anything especially strenuous speeds up the whole cycle. I don't really exercise much at the moment bar cycling every day to work.
Hip issues causing lower back trouble is my jam.
Presume you've a fairly sedentary lifestyle? Sitting in work, driving, sitting at home etc?
Ever had it checked out? Sounds like a fairly straight forward back spasm. Ever get tingling or pain radiating down the outside or back of your legs from your lower back? Ever have issues with your groin muscles.
Without a proper diagnosis, I'd recommend stretching your hips and strengthening your glutes.
If you get the pain down one side of your back I'll take a stab and say that one of your hips is more problematic than the other, so your stance in your hips and pelvic area is thrown off a bit and this manifests itself as the muscle spasm, which f**king hurts.
Hip flexor stretch
. Seems simple, but it helps. Squeeze the arse cheek of your trailing leg and try and keep your torso as upright as possible as you sink forward into it. Don't let your lower back arch as you keep your chest up. You should feel the stretch primarily in the front of the hip area. You'll get some stretch down the front of your thigh, but you want to try and focus it in the hip.
Single leg groin stretch
. Loads of variations on this. You want to feel the stretch right in the top of your groin in the hip. When you start it you might feel the stretch more lower down your inner thigh if the muscles are tight, but after a week or two you should be able to go further and get the stretch up higher.
Try squeeze the arse cheek of the leg you're stretching. You can play around with leaning forward onto your hands, kneeling rather than squatting on your non-stretching leg. Muck around to see what feels good.
. This is an absolute bastard. Take it slowly and build it up over a number of seconds, you'll need a mat or cushions under your knees. It'll force your hips open, a lot. Sink backwards to stretch more, keeping your torso level with the ground. Then slide forward a bit to focus the stretch onto a different part of the hips.
I've found this one to be really useful for relieving lower back stiffness/pain. It's not particularly pleasant for most guys, though. Women tend to have way more range of movement and flexibility in this posture.
. Fairly straightforward. Lie on your side and raise your leg up to the side as far as you can without causing your hips to shift. Make sure the effort is through your arse cheek, not your outer thigh. Place your upper hand on your glute as a cue to yourself as to where the effort should be. Few sets of 15-20. You'll feel a burn in the glute. You can even raise the leg slightly behind the line of your body to emphasise the glute work.
. Simple enough. Think of pushing the floor down, rather than raising your hips. The effort should be in the glutes, not the hamstrings. If you feel the hamstrings taking over, try raising you toes off the floor or bringing your feet closer to your arse. Place your hands of your belly, your abs should be engaged, not slack, and shouldn't change posture throughout the movement. Don't let your lower back arch.
You can progress this to single leg versions to bring in more effort on your core to control it. Again, 15-20 reps for a few sets.
. Not strictly your glutes, but it'll help develop good hip posture. Can do it on a chair of coffee table etc with a towel under the supporting knee.
This can be quite difficult to start with. If you feel an acute pinch in your groin, stop, or slide further along the chair/bench so that you're supported on your inner thigh. For this you want to squeeze your shoulderblades back and down, engage you core muscles, and the glute of the supporting leg. Keep your hips perpendicular to the floor, don't roll forwards or backwards. Hold this for like 20 seconds each side and build the length over time as you improve. You can progress the difficulty by moving further and further away from the chair, so that the leg is supported below the knee.