Chat Forum
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 12:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 637, 638, 639, 640, 641, 642, 643 ... 655  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:47 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
As its the New Year I'm looking for a new say 4-6 week routine. Upper body.

As this is 647 pages long and the search function wont cut it, could someone please be a gent (as it's mostly males posting on PR) and point me in the right direction or stick one up.

Merci
LN

Going to be annoying and say more information needed.

Why only upper body?
What’s your training experience?
How often can you train?

*edit

What’s your goal?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:46 pm 

newportblue wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

As this is 647 pages long and the search function wont cut it, could someone please be a gent (as it's mostly males posting on PR) and point me in the right direction or stick one up.

Merci
LN

Why only upper body?
How often can you train?

*edit

What’s your goal?

I do enough cardio etc that keeps my lower body in shape
I would say intermediate, in that i used to train a lot when playing, still do a bit so know my way around a gym but I'm a typical middle aged dude that needs to get fitter/stronger as things have slipped
3 to 4 times a week is more than doable, im an early riser so can hit the gym early.

Goal is to get stronger and fitter across the chest, arms, back and belly. Not espcially needing to lose too much weight more redistribute it from lower down to higher up. The cardio is fine (relatively).

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:11 pm 

The key to doing an upper body only routine is balance between the anterior and posterior chains i.e. your chest/shoulders and back. Too much benching/OHP will lead to shoulder and rotator cuff impingements which are a bitch to rehab (trust me, I've had to go through it 3 times already). Do tonnes and tonnes of upper back work (barbell rows, dumbbell rows, face pulls, etc...) as there is very little you can do to injure yourself through upper back stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:06 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
Achtung Danny Fitz.

I’ve just started adding the rowing machine to my cardio finishers (fudge me it’s an intense bit of kit) and am looking for some decent standards and even some workouts. Ideally I’d max out at 30 mins on it.

Have you got anything you could recommend?

What rowing machine is it? Concept 2?

How many times a week are you looking to do some rowing cardio?

I can put together some AT, UT1, UT2 sessions plans?

What age are you?

I am currently training for the Head of the River Race in March. Its basically 4.25 miles (the boat race course in reverse) so I am a bit more endurance focused at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:05 pm 

What apps like strava do people use? I currently use strava but want to see the amount of calories I burn tabbing. Whilst strava has a hiking option I can't see anywhere to input how much weight I'm carrying.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:13 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
Concept 2, yeah. Probably only once or twice a week. I’m late 30s but reasonably fit. I’m keen to burn some of my beer belly off while I’m doing dry January. :thumbup:

If you are looking to fat burn get some 45 min UT1 ergs under your belt. If that is a bit much break it down into 2 x 20 min with 5 min rest. Try and sit on a stroke rate of 20 and keep your 500m/ split to say 2:10 at first.

I am burning between 500 and 700 calories for a 45 min erg(depending on how hard I am pushing it).

Not sure what your technique is like but it is worth hoping on youtube and checking out some training videos. I shall dig up some links for you. Do not listen to any of the 'instructors' down your gym, bar the rare exception they know nothing.

Below is a good start for correct form.

Spoiler: show

Last edited by danny_fitz on Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:13 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
newportblue wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

Merci
LN

Why only upper body?
How often can you train?

*edit

What’s your goal?

I would say intermediate, in that i used to train a lot when playing, still do a bit so know my way around a gym but I'm a typical middle aged dude that needs to get fitter/stronger as things have slipped
3 to 4 times a week is more than doable, im an early riser so can hit the gym early.

Goal is to get stronger and fitter across the chest, arms, back and belly. Not espcially needing to lose too much weight more redistribute it from lower down to higher up. The cardio is fine (relatively).

Thanks

For a first 4-6 weeks a simple starting Strength plan of 5x5 with an increase of weight between the sets is a decent start.

Big four.

Bench, OHP , deadlift and squat,

Add similar exercises as addition with lighter more rep sets on each day ;

Bench for example , add flies and tricep lifts.

Do pull exercises on upper back on deadlift day.

For 4-6 weeks this should be a good start.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:59 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
Concept 2, yeah. Probably only once or twice a week. I’m late 30s but reasonably fit. I’m keen to burn some of my beer belly off while I’m doing dry January. :thumbup:

If you are looking to fat burn get some 45 min UT1 ergs under your belt. If that is a bit much break it down into 2 x 20 min with 5 min rest. Try and sit on a stroke rate of 20 and keep your 500m/ split to say 2:10 at first.

I am burning between 500 and 700 calories for a 45 min erg(depending on how hard I am pushing it).

Not sure what your technique is like but it is worth hoping on youtube and checking out some training videos. I shall dig up some links for you. Do not listen to any of the 'instructors' down your gym, bar the rare exception they know nothing.

Below is a good start for correct form.

Spoiler: show

That’s great thanks very much. :thumbup:

I did a little bit of rowing as a teenager so I think my technique is ok. I’m not getting sore from it anyway.

At the risk of sounding like your dad just be careful, its these longer lower rate ergs that can f*ck you up if your form is all over the place.

1. Hands away
2. Rock over
3. Break the knees and compress
4. Drive (keep your heels down)
5. Rock over/Open your back
6. Draw hands into sternum

Don't rush the slide on your recovery, don't bounce the chain, keep your hand height consistent, don't stare at the bird on the treadmill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:05 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
At the risk of sounding like your dad.......

don't stare at the bird on the treadmill

Ohhh, so close!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:37 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
Thanks for the tips. They actually have aerobic style classes in the space below the towers which is a nice motivation. :D

This morning I did 4620m in 20 mins at an average s/r of about 30. What do I need to change to get better? Ideally I’d like to get up to 5km in 20mins in the near future.

A 20 min 5km erg requires a 2.00/500m split. you are a little way off with a split at 2.09 at the moment.

Also, a stroke rate of 30 is pretty punchy at this stage, I would suggest dropping it down to 24-26 and focus on keeping your form and keeping the power through your legs. Switch the view on your screen to the power profile/graph, what you should be seeing is something like this:

A nice smooth slightly front loaded power curve. The greater the area under the curve, the better your results/split for that stroke will be.

If you see something like this:

It means there is separation between your leg drive and pulling with your arms, your arms should only really account for about 15% of the power in the stroke, if there are 'two bumps' in the curve you are not being very efficient.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:50 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
newportblue wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

Merci
LN

Why only upper body?
How often can you train?

*edit

What’s your goal?

Thanks

Personally I think you should lower body weights as well but if you really don’t want to something a body part split could work.

Something like
Day 1 Chest
Day 2 back
Day 3 shoulders

I would pick a compound exercise to do first(bench press, barbell row) then work your way to isolation Exercises.

You could do something like 2 weeks of 3x12, 2 weeks of 3x10 and 2 weeks of 3x8. Increasing the weight every two weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:04 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
Thanks for the tips. They actually have aerobic style classes in the space below the towers which is a nice motivation. :D

This morning I did 4620m in 20 mins at an average s/r of about 30. What do I need to change to get better? Ideally I’d like to get up to 5km in 20mins in the near future.

A 20 min 5km erg requires a 2.00/500m split. you are a little way off with a split at 2.09 at the moment.

Also, a stroke rate of 30 is pretty punchy at this stage, I would suggest dropping it down to 24-26 and focus on keeping your form and keeping the power through your legs. Switch the view on your screen to the power profile/graph, what you should be seeing is something like this:

A nice smooth slightly front loaded power curve. The greater the area under the curve, the better your results/split for that stroke will be.

It means there is separation between your leg drive and pulling with your arms, your arms should only really account for about 15% of the power in the stroke, if there are 'two bumps' in the curve you are not being very efficient.

That's great info :thumbup: (never knew that screen existed!)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:27 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
newportblue wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

Merci
LN

Why only upper body?
How often can you train?

*edit

What’s your goal?

Thanks

Me no likey this. Training your lower body through resistance and "cardio"/aerobic stuff is very different. Different stimulas, different training response. I'd be a big advocate of doing some form of leg resistance training at least once a week. Doesn't need to be barbell stuff, advanced, or particularly taxing; but definitely something to train you muscles. It'll help carry over to other sporting activities, reduce propensity for injury etc.

Don't skip leg day.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:58 pm 

To my shame, I had never really taken lifting seriously even back in my rugby playing days. So I decided to just do Starting Strength about a month ago. My squats are progressing nicely but have actually slightly outpaced my deadlift. Any ideas why this might be?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:28 pm 

Skill/technique. You get more proficient at the movement and progress faster. Eventually you'll figure out your groove on DLs and they'll progress faster again.

You struggling for grip at all? Chalk or mixed grip makes a huge difference.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:32 pm 

An experienced powerlifter in my gym was benching this evening and when going to re-rack the bar, caught it on the underside of the hook, which then lifted out of the slot.
He had to call me for help to get out of the situation.

He had 112kg on the bar, which wasn't too heavy for him relative to his 1RM, but was not something you'd want coming down on your face. Could have been a bit sticky if there was no-one beside him at that moment.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:43 pm 

goeagles wrote:
To my shame, I had never really taken lifting seriously even back in my rugby playing days. So I decided to just do Starting Strength about a month ago. My squats are progressing nicely but have actually slightly outpaced my deadlift. Any ideas why this might be?

As Nol says or could be a form issue.

If you’re not squatting to deep enough (either because you don’t realise or because of mobility) then you might be able to squat more than you dead.

Also if you’re, let’s say, larger around the stomach area it can hinder your deadlift.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:55 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
An experienced powerlifter in my gym was benching this evening and when going to re-rack the bar, caught it on the underside of the hook, which then lifted out of the slot.

He had 112kg on the bar, which wasn't too heavy for him relative to his 1RM, but was not something you'd want coming down on your face. Could have been a bit sticky if there was no-one beside him at that moment.

I always bench without clips in case of off getting pinned. However, two months ago I got pinned with 105kg on the bar. Went to roll sideways to slip some plates off but the bench was too low to the ground so they wouldn't slide off. Eventually, I had to do a painful roll of shame, crushing my bollocks in due course.

All this in a gym packed with people and not one came to pull it off me. Pricks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:48 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Saw that you've been running a bit. I can't speak highly enough of Parkrun for making me do a regular decent run. I've no lack of motivation for exercise, just not that kind of exercise!
The regular schedule and group nature helps me a lot.

My local one set a new attendance record on NYD, over 1300. It was jammers at th start. Still did a reasonable time, I hadn't been in the gym in a week and my legs were fresher.

First lifting session in two weeks there this afternoon. Push/pull and didn't try and go crazy. Felt good.

My regular one has 40-50. Whilst I am not the fastest person in the world going and finishing in the top 5-10 of it most time I go to it is a nice feeling. Only downside is that it's around an old quarry and has over 100m of climbing. https://blog.parkrun.com/au/2018/12/19/parkrun-profile-wilson-botanic/

There is a U turn up the top of that hill which leads to a slightly steeper part of the hill.

Last edited by ElementFreak on Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:54 pm 

feckwanker wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

I always bench without clips in case of off getting pinned. However, two months ago I got pinned with 105kg on the bar. Went to roll sideways to slip some plates off but the bench was too low to the ground so they wouldn't slide off. Eventually, I had to do a painful roll of shame, crushing my bollocks in due course.

All this in a gym packed with people and not one came to pull it off me. Pricks.

I can bail from under 90kg reasonably well. If I feel it go, I can transition the roll of shame into a dynamic sit up type movement, once the bar gets to near your hips you can pivot about it with your good and bring your feet back underneath and either dump it on the floor or the bench in front of you.

If you get properly pinned under heavier weight, though, it's not a runner. I've never tried tipping the plates off the ends.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:26 am 

OptimisticJock wrote:
What apps like strava do people use? I currently use strava but want to see the amount of calories I burn tabbing. Whilst strava has a hiking option I can't see anywhere to input how much weight I'm carrying.

Going one further, anyone able to advise on decent fitness trackers either coupled with an app like above or by itself. What do you get for your money? If I'm spending £200-300 am I just as well getting a samsung watch (have the galaxy s10+), will it do the same as a Garmin for example? Are there decent alternatives with gps for cheaper but obviously sacrificing things like not using WhatsApp on my wrist (not overly fussed by those type of features unless the more expensive watches are advised, bang for your back and all that)?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:30 am 

Blondcider will know more, but I just got a Garmin Forerunner 35 and it's decent. Has GPS, wrist heart rate monitor, motion sensor/accelerometer etc. It does basic stuff with the phone like notifications and allows some basic interactivity like marking a text as read. You can set alarms etc separately on the watch.
It's not as feature-heavy as a higher price bracket device like the Fenix, bit you're paying significantly less.

Does the job for the basic cardio stats that I want. I don't need a mini phone on my wrist.

The 35 is an older model, just been replaced by the 45, as far as I'm aware, so shouldn't break the bank. Not too up to speed on features/price comparisons, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:37 am 

Aye that's pretty much how I feel but if I'm paying a few hundred I'd obviously like more. Was looking at a couple of the forerunners there, they seem decent but want to make sure I get a good all round watch/app. I go running, tabbing and do circuits so want something I can input data as accurately as possible.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:55 am 

Forerunner is a great bit of kit. I've got a Fenix 3HR and never had an issue with it. 3 years later it's still going strong.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:30 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Skill/technique. You get more proficient at the movement and progress faster. Eventually you'll figure out your groove on DLs and they'll progress faster again.

Struggling for grip for sure. I did switch to mixed grip recently, but would prefer to figure out how to do the hook grip based on what I've read. Cheers.

newportblue wrote:
goeagles wrote:

As Nol says or could be a form issue.

If you’re not squatting to deep enough (either because you don’t realise or because of mobility) then you might be able to squat more than you dead.

Also if you’re, let’s say, larger around the stomach area it can hinder your deadlift.

Yeah I had the same thought so I had someone make sure I was getting below parallel and they said I was.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:01 am 

DL question. First lift is the hardest ie getting it moving - what helps most - heavy singles or deficit to help?

As an aside have a slight tear in meniscus which is a pain. No surgery recommended but hopefully can work around it. Annoying injury.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:07 am 

Nolanator wrote:

Very true, my gym now has a bowl of chalk by the powerlifting area and it really does make a world of difference. Never had used it before, and unfortunately it is banned in many gyms I've been to.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:17 am 

kiwinoz wrote:
DL question. First lift is the hardest ie getting it moving - what helps most - heavy singles or deficit to help?

As an aside have a slight tear in meniscus which is a pain. No surgery recommended but hopefully can work around it. Annoying injury.

Deficit work will really help. Forces you to get a perfect set up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:50 am 

mr flaps wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:

Cheers - another reason to get flexibility sorted too. Weights I struggle to get moving at the beginning I can still do 10 reps for.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:25 pm 

kiwinoz wrote:
mr flaps wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:

Cheers - another reason to get flexibility sorted too. Weights I struggle to get moving at the beginning I can still do 10 reps for.

If you’re after lifting more then make sure you dead stop after every rep in a set. More practice at starting the lift.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:32 pm 

Re-jigging my spread of lifts across the week to try and reduce the amount of fatigue in my legs come the weekend. Previously I had Mon: heavy squats, DL assistance, Thurs: heavy DL, Fri: medium front squats. By Saturday morning my legs were useless for running.
Going to do the front squats on Wednesdays for the next while and see how it goes. They're not too taxing, so shouldn't affect DLs the following day, and I'll have an extra day off lower body lifts come Saturday.
Only issue is that in means quite a few consecutive days with some form of lifting. Just have to be strict with myself and not try to fit too much volume in each session.

Front squats this morning for a handy 80kgx6, 4 sets. The a quick blast on the assault bike and some not very challening treadmill intervals. Still have lots of leg DOMS from Monday, so today's work will either help by getting blood flowing, or tomorrow I'll be absolutely crippled.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:08 pm 

ElementFreak wrote:
Forerunner is a great bit of kit. I've got a Fenix 3HR and never had an issue with it. 3 years later it's still going strong.

Cheers guys, I'll give these a look.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:07 pm 

P in VG wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Man In Black wrote:

That's great info :thumbup: (never knew that screen existed!)

I dont use the scree all the time, its just handy to check it now and again as it is a good indicator of how efficient your stroke is. Keeps you honest.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:09 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:

I think I mentioned on the previous page I have a Fenix 3 and very happy with it. It’s pretty bulky though if you’ve got thin wrists.

:thumbup:

Do these watches give you added features like inputting how much weight you carry on a tab for instance. Strava has a hiking option but nowhere to say how much weight you carry so obviously will under calculate calories etc. This isn't the only feature I'm looking for by the way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:35 am 

OptimisticJock wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:

I think I mentioned on the previous page I have a Fenix 3 and very happy with it. It’s pretty bulky though if you’ve got thin wrists.

Do these watches give you added features like inputting how much weight you carry on a tab for instance. Strava has a hiking option but nowhere to say how much weight you carry so obviously will under calculate calories etc. This isn't the only feature I'm looking for by the way.

The 3 doesn't, not sure about the later models though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:00 am 

ElementFreak wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:

Been checking a few articles and can't see anything either way for the 5 which is what I'm looking at.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:54 am 

newportblue wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:
mr flaps wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:

If you’re after lifting more then make sure you dead stop after every rep in a set. More practice at starting the lift.

Cheers Newport, I give that a go, knee has a slight meniscus tear but seems to hold up OK for deadlifts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:30 am 

ElementFreak wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:

Actually, am I being daft? Will it matter if I input weight or not as my HR rate will be elevated?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:15 am 

OptimisticJock wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:

Actually, am I being daft? Will it matter if I input weight or not as my HR rate will be elevated?

Easiest way is to go into the watch user settings and add on the average weight of the pack to your own weight. This is fairly simple to do as long as you remember to do it beforehand and then change it back afterwards. Clunkier than having an option to do it admittedly.

Fenix is a lot of watch and unless you are competing heavily in multisport and need loads of metrics you will never use most of the functions. IMO Most people would be better off with a lower cost watch or combination of gadgets like the forerunner 265 for running/walking, the 735xt for multisport or an Edge 510/Wahoo ELMNT Bolt for cycling. I'm not a huge fan of the garmin stuff but at the cheaper end of the market there is very little competition

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:17 am 

DLs this morning felt decent, despite carrying leg DOMS into the session. Worked up to a top set of 170x5 (about 80%). Then back off paused reps at 140.

Been watching a number of videos recently to try and iron out my form. Big one for me is to pull the slack out of the bar. If I exaggerate that portion it helps prime everything for the lift off the floor. I also found the set at 170 better/more comfortable than at 160. Lower back was a bit fatigued after the latter. Realised that I'm being very passive in engaging and breaking the weights off the floor. When I pull the slack and the aggresively explode off the floor, the whole movement feels better. It doesn't feel like my chest is tipping over as much.

Hopefully it progresses.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 637, 638, 639, 640, 641, 642, 643 ... 655  Next