Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 650, 651, 652, 653, 654, 655, 656  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:48 pm 

I'd do that if I had access to a rower. Not some crazy amount of cardio, so I can get behind that.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:35 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
I'd do that if I had access to a rower. Not some crazy amount of cardio, so I can get behind that.

I'd do a crazy amount of cardio. Something like the Pete Plan again and then just work up to 45-60 minutes most days, work on that base fitness and then hopefully go after a fast half marathon.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 2:27 am 

Nolanator wrote:
I videod a few sets from my session earlier for form cheks and ended recording the whole thing. Then I put it all together out of sheet boredom.
https://youtu.be/nKRNQ-85Awk

Noticed that I sag quite a bit at the hips when doing push ups, so my chest doesn't drop all the way to the floor.

Yeah, my home gym isn't quite as impressive as FW's.

Had to have peek at your Video.

Did not notice too much in the way of sag.

I am no coach and could be completely wrong but is not elbows closer in to the torso deemed to be less of an issue for Rotator Cuff impingement? Produces more of a load on the triceps as a result but that is what I have been told and I believe it unquestionably - obviously.

Hence my butting with unsolicted opinion.

I have suffered rotator cuff tears in the past and still get pain when I push with elbows out either supine or pronate.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:07 am 

Nolanator wrote:
How's everyone getting on?

Messing around doing legs yesterday and tried some pistol squats. I can't do them properly, balance is off and I'm so inflexible in my hamstrings that I can't stick my non-standing leg out in front properly. Can do them at the top of the stairs with a little bit of arm assistance, so my free leg can point down a bit. Edge of a box would be ideal, but I don't have anything suitable.

Definitely a goal I'll work towards. Probably be very useful for working on imbalances and technique.

Find being on a platform and holding a small weight helps a lot with balance for these

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:22 am 

Nolanator wrote:

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:56 am 

53 year old Mike Tyson has still got it :nod:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CADjPgOl_Nw/

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:40 am 

fonzeee wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

This.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:58 am 

Nolanator wrote:

To be honest it is more of an anaerobic burst.

I managed 326m which is a 1:32 split.

There are some crazy feckers out there getting 400m plus. Some dubious scores being posted though as they are not verified.

The global leader is apparently a 15-16 year old who can pull 1m 5sec split.....yeah right.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:01 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

There are some crazy feckers out there getting 400m plus. Some dubious scores being posted though as they are not verified.

The global leader is apparently a 15-16 year old who can pull 1m 5sec split.....yeah right.

There was a thing going around Twitter at the start of lockdown where people were posting 5km times that were ridiculous. People who don't really exercise claiming 21 minutes etc.
Saw lots of Strava screenshots showing 21 minutes of moving time, but like 45 mins total time elapsed. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:09 am 

Nolanator wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

There was a thing going around Twitter at the start of lockdown where people were posting 5km times that were ridiculous. People who don't really exercise claiming 21 minutes etc.
Saw lots of Strava screenshots showing 21 minutes of moving time, but like 45 mins total time elapsed. :lol:

Some folk are using water rowers or some other mickey mouse crap from Argos which spit out some daft scores. Concept2 ergs are only really recognised.

My PB for 5km is 19.01

Managed a sub 40m 10km last week. 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:22 am 

Jaysus, those are both serious times. :thumbup:

My cousin was training for a marathon, but that's been cancelled. As if yesterday he's done 10km every day for 5 weeks solid. :uhoh:
This guy almost certainly had Covid-19 at the end of March. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:28 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Jaysus, those are both serious times. :thumbup:

My cousin was training for a marathon, but that's been cancelled. As if yesterday he's done 10km every day for 5 weeks solid. :uhoh:
This guy almost certainly had Covid-19 at the end of March. :lol:

Very nearly signed up to the Paris marathon, glad i did not. I have a coastal rowing marathon in France in September, not sure if that will still go ahead but have been doing lots of erg training for it nonetheless.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:51 am 

Sold my Concept 2 and all my other home gym gear (power rack, barbell, plates etc) just before Christmas before moving house. Terrible timing in hindsight as I could have scored a bigger payday...

The gear had basically been sat in a garage for a few years.

Before I got the C2 I had a cheap York rower. Actually got to a point where I was pulling a 5.40 2k on its timings. Now I'm not stupid, I knew that would be way off, but I thought maybe I was a total natural (I'm the right shape for rowing anyway) and that on a C2 I'd be at 6.40. Nope :uhoh:. Never really got close to breaking 7 minutes.

10k was the annoying one. Used to do a fair amount of 30 minute sessions where I'd hold a sub 1.58 split (7650 metres). Tried a few times and got pretty close, but could never hold it under 2.00 for 10k

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:22 am 

Nolanator wrote:

All good, probably the closest I've managed to follow a training programme since Uni tbh :blush:

Working from home has been great for following a 'grease the groove' regime of multiple sets spread throughout the day using my pull-up bar and kettlebells (thankfully have a full set of KBs from 16-48kg and have resisted Mrs J's attempts to get rid of them over the years). Finding that a basic, abbreviated programme where I don't need to think too much about the weight/programming and I can just go outside and do the reps suits me well.

This is what I've been doing every day:

Pull-ups - 5 sets, increasing total by 1 rep per day (eg 10, 9, 8, 7, 6; next day 10, 9, 8, 7, 7; next day 10, 9, 8, 8, 7 etc). Trying to work up to 15 pull-ups (currently on a starting set of 12)

Push-ups - 3-5 sets of half of my max, decided by the toss of a coin. Will probably switch for KB clean and presses once I've worked up to 50 push-ups.

KB Swings - 10 sets of 10 one-arm swings with a 32kg bell. Will switch to snatches at some point and start with a smaller bell, eventual aim is 100 snatches in 5 minutes.

KB Goblet squats - 3-5 sets of 5 with the 48kg bell

Turkish getups - singles with the 40kg but trying to work up to the 48kg (never managed that before, but seems doable and would be a good standard to reach/maintain)

Hopefully I can set some new PBs/reach some decent standard before I need to go back to working from the office. Really missing the pool and the judo mat though :((

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:25 am 

Those are some pretty heavy KBs. You live quite close by, don't you...? :P

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:43 am 

Margin_Walker wrote:
Sold my Concept 2 and all my other home gym gear (power rack, barbell, plates etc) just before Christmas before moving house. Terrible timing in hindsight as I could have scored a bigger payday...

The gear had basically been sat in a garage for a few years.

Before I got the C2 I had a cheap York rower. Actually got to a point where I was pulling a 5.40 2k on its timings. Now I'm not stupid, I knew that would be way off, but I thought maybe I was a total natural (I'm the right shape for rowing anyway) and that on a C2 I'd be at 6.40. Nope :uhoh:. Never really got close to breaking 7 minutes.

10k was the annoying one. Used to do a fair amount of 30 minute sessions where I'd hold a sub 1.58 split (7650 metres). Tried a few times and got pretty close, but could never hold it under 2.00 for 10k

Have you had any tuition on an erg from someone who knows what they are doing?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:56 am 

Nolanator wrote:

Haha, you must be missing the uni gym!

I did think about going up to the common for a change scenery, but then thought about about getting laughed at while trying to lug the 48kg up the hill (let alone doing a workout afterwards) :uhoh:

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:01 pm 

Pulled 200kg for 6x3 (threw in 2 extra repson the final set too) at 89kg body weight. Followed with speed deadlifts, stiff legged deadlifts, bb rows, chin ups and landmines.

Pretty stiff today to be honest.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:03 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
Have you had any tuition on an erg from someone who knows what they are doing?

Nope. Only the odd Youtube video, but that's about it.

May try and work up to a 10k again when the gyms reopen and I have a little more time.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:29 pm 

Joost wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Haha, you must be missing the uni gym!

I did think about going up to the common for a change scenery, but then thought about about getting laughed at while trying to lug the 48kg up the hill (let alone doing a workout afterwards) :uhoh:

Yep, I want a barbell.

I was out for a run yesterday and there was a woman doing a KB workout by the picnic tables beside the fenced off pull up bars. :?

The other day I also saw a couple doing some squats and band work right in the middle of the big grassy area near the underpass. I just couldn't exercise in public like that. Running is one thing, but not a "workout".

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:16 pm 

feckwanker wrote:
Pulled 200kg for 6x3 (threw in 2 extra repson the final set too) at 89kg body weight. Followed with speed deadlifts, stiff legged deadlifts, bb rows, chin ups and landmines.

Pretty stiff today to be honest.

Nice :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:14 pm 

kiwinoz wrote:
53 year old Mike Tyson has still got it :nod:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CADjPgOl_Nw/

Saw some idiot on Twitter asking a little while back ‘would you go a 3-min round against Tyson for $50k?’ :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:08 am 

Nolanator wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

The Ross Barkley 5km. @stravawankers is great for that kind of stuff. No idea why people feel the need to do it.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:08 am 

ElementFreak wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

The Ross Barkley 5km. @stravawankers is great for that kind of stuff. No idea why people feel the need to do it.

Seen lots more of these recently. Also people running routes which have a lot of elevation loss to try and improve their PB. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:40 am 

Hah, I was thinking about a route which is all downhill to see how fast I could go. Only problem is getting back home afterwards. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:04 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Hah, I was thinking about a route which is all downhill to see how fast I could go. Only problem is getting back home afterwards. :lol:

I don't see anything wrong with it as an experiment, but some people are genuinely claiming it as a PB. I don't understand those people, I mean where's the sense of accomplishment if you keep stopping your watch to rest then then start it again when you're up to speed and then try to claim it as your PB?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:33 am 

Fudge you EF, I'm sticking to my claim that I can do 1,678 reps of 100kg bench press.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:11 pm 

Everything back open, including gyms, from today in my neck of the woods. Thinking I’ll stick with my backyard set up for a week or so and and see if case number jump or anything.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:23 pm 

Sensible, especially since you can still carry on doing stuff yourself in the meantime.

I read somewhere that October is seen as a possible date here. x(

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:14 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Sensible, especially since you can still carry on doing stuff yourself in the meantime.

I read somewhere that October is seen as a possible date here. x(

We (but not me) are opening the gym garden up for 1:1 with 15min between sessions from Monday. One client, one trainer, no-one else on the premises. Clients not allowed inside the building at all. It's going to be a very gradual process.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:41 pm 

Implications from the governor's reopening plan released today are that gyms won't be open here until beginning of July at the earliest. f**king plum.

Planned on getting back on the rugby pitch this fall for the first time in a decade, hoping this doesn't put me too much off the pace. Assuming that doesn't fall through too.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:02 am 

Absolutely wiped from training consistently hard over the past few weeks.

Deload week incoming.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:17 pm 

So I finally cracked and went on Craigslist hoping some meathead would be renting out his gym space and, lo and behold, I found a personal trainer who is renting out his (pretty modest) fitness studio on an hourly basis. It's basically a 100 sq ft room in the basement of an old house that apparently has been converted into what could charitably be called an office space.

There's basically a flimsy bench rack, a total of 285 lbs of weight (including the 35 lb bar) and some adjustable dumbbells from the 90s that only go up to 70 lbs. Occasionally I might have to spray Armorall on them in order to prevent them from sticking, apparently.

The fee for this pantheon of the gods? $50/week

Couldn't be happier.

But fvck am I sore. And the strength I've (temporarily) lost... :uhoh:

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:33 am 

fonzeee wrote:
So I finally cracked and went on Craigslist hoping some meathead would be renting out his gym space and, lo and behold, I found a personal trainer who is renting out his (pretty modest) fitness studio on an hourly basis. It's basically a 100 sq ft room in the basement of an old house that apparently has been converted into what could charitably be called an office space.

There's basically a flimsy bench rack, a total of 285 lbs of weight (including the 35 lb bar) and some adjustable dumbbells from the 90s that only go up to 70 lbs. Occasionally I might have to spray Armorall on them in order to prevent them from sticking, apparently.

Couldn't be happier.

It’ll come back quickly I’m sure

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:38 am 

Did anyone see the strongman world record thing over the weekend?

One of the Stolman brothers did a 286kg atlas stone (and it was pretty easy).

Insane.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:47 am 

newportblue wrote:
Did anyone see the strongman world record thing over the weekend?

One of the Stolman brothers did a 286kg atlas stone (and it was pretty easy).

Insane.

Yep, extremely impressive. His pull off the ground was so smooth.

His brother just missed out on a WR log press the other week too.

There's something very funny about Big Z as Zoom judge as well. Just a giant head looking quietly impressed with the lifts.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:16 am 

He's going for 300, isn't he? I missed the log press attempt.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:27 am 

I finally get to get back on the water this Thursday in a single scull, forecast is for sunshine, get in!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:42 am 

fonzeee wrote:

Couldn't be happier.

That's the worst part apart the whole thing right there!

Pretty sore today myself. Pause benched 110 for 4 x 5 yesterday. I've definitely done something to my left shoulder blade (shooting/hot pain when I stretch it).

Worst thing is that there are no physios open :frown:

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:45 am 

Sliotar into the meat under the shoulder blade. :thumbup:

Yeah, I read that post and was heavily conflicted. Jealous of being able to do BB movements, but using a women's bar? x(
Whatever about throwing the maths off, it's skinnier and would feel really odd.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 650, 651, 652, 653, 654, 655, 656  Next