Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 651, 652, 653, 654, 655, 656, 657, 658  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:25 am 

fonzeee wrote:
I'm in love with that Axel bar, unfortunately my gym hasn't got it.

They’re cheap https://www.titan.fitness/strength/barb ... ls-olympic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:57 pm 

Events for my next comp.

Axl bar clean and press away 230lbs max reps in 60 seconds.

Deadlift 455lbs max reps in 60 seconds.

Husaffel 270lbs/Duck walk 300lbs medley 50’ of each.

Yoke walk 100’ 550lbs

Atlas Stones 196-210-225-240-275

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:08 pm 

Quick question - I've been focusing on core and, whenever I do any exercises that involve having legs bent at 90° to body (a lot of Pilates stuff like double knee fold crunches etc) I keep getting 'grabbing' from the front top of my thigh. This gets really uncomfortable really quickly, and I can't seem to release the muscle.

Anyone any idea what I'm doing wrong? Is it just poor core causing other muscles to try to compensate (i.e. should I just crack on until it strengthens) or is it a restriction to flexibility? If latter, are there any stretches or exercises that would help?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:53 am 

I've found that for core exercises it helps if I do a gentle cough just before I do the movement. Not emptying the lungs, but the contraction in the diaghragm also tightens the core musckles in your abdomen, so when you do whatever the exercise is, they do most of the work, rather than hip flexors or whatever.
It helps prime the mind muscle connection. For something like an ab rollout, I'll do it every rep, as I'm inclined to let my hip flexors do more of the work if I don't concentrate on the movement.

In time, you just instinctively get it right.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:58 am 

Final session of my heaviest ever week this morning.

DL: 150x6, 170x3, 190x2, 200x1, Fail 210, 205x1, 190x3
Pause DL: 140x6,6
Bench: 90x6, 4 sets
Pull ups: 10x5, BW x5, 3 sets

210 is my all time PR, which I got about 6 months ago. First time I've attempted it since then. Happy with the 205, though, first time I've attempted that since the same session in which I got 210. Only the second time I've ever lifted that.

New powerlifting total of 472.5kg this week, shade under 1042 lbs. Big goal now to hit a 500 total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:04 am 

Also, during the second half of my session, the "fat guy with bad deadlift form" came in with his buddies and maxed out on the trap bar.
I'm fairly easy going about everything, but fuck me sideways he does my head in. Big fat hairy twat who lifts big weights with obscenely bad form, shouts his head off and is generally a pain in the tits to be near. Uses ammonia and the bit like he's Brian fucking Shaw or something.
Today he was maxing out with a crowd of 7 gimps standing around filming him and let out a roar into the face of one of the girls who was walking by after the rep.

Christ, I hate him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:24 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Also, during the second half of my session, the "fat guy with bad deadlift form" came in with his buddies and maxed out on the trap bar.
I'm fairly easy going about everything, but fuck me sideways he does my head in. Big fat hairy twat who lifts big weights with obscenely bad form, shouts his head off and is generally a pain in the tits to be near. Uses ammonia and the bit like he's Brian fucking Shaw or something.
Today he was maxing out with a crowd of 7 gimps standing around filming him and let out a roar into the face of one of the girls who was walking by after the rep.

Christ, I hate him.

Sounds like a case of roid rage.

(What on earth is ammonia for?)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:26 am 

Nolanator wrote:
I've found that for core exercises it helps if I do a gentle cough just before I do the movement. Not emptying the lungs, but the contraction in the diaghragm also tightens the core musckles in your abdomen, so when you do whatever the exercise is, they do most of the work, rather than hip flexors or whatever.
It helps prime the mind muscle connection. For something like an ab rollout, I'll do it every rep, as I'm inclined to let my hip flexors do more of the work if I don't concentrate on the movement.

In time, you just instinctively get it right.

Ta, will try- think it's just bad technique and weak core, but will consciously try to activate core - I'll give coughing a go. People will think I've got the bat soup virus which should help get some mat space as well

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:18 pm 

inactionman wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Christ, I hate him.

This guy is so far from being on gear. :lol:

Increases alertness. Sniff a bit and it feels like someone's kicked you in the back of the throat. Aggravates/stimulates the mucus membrane in your nose, which gives a bit of an adrenaline spike.
It does genuinely help when going for a max effort lift, but it doesn't excuse roaring your head off in a uni gym with lots of non-meatheads present.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:43 pm 

Last night

17 mins @ rate 22 - 1:56
17 mins @ rate 24 - 1:56
10 mins @ rate 26 - 1:54

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:39 pm 

Eddie Hall broke the record at CF Euro for Isabel 30 snatchs at 60kg in 51 secs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:44 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
inactionman wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Christ, I hate him.

This guy is so far from being on gear. :lol:

Increases alertness. Sniff a bit and it feels like someone's kicked you in the back of the throat. Aggravates/stimulates the mucus membrane in your nose, which gives a bit of an adrenaline spike.
It does genuinely help when going for a max effort lift, but it doesn't excuse roaring your head off in a uni gym with lots of non-meatheads present.

maybe he's not fat, just strong ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:13 pm 

Nolanator wrote:

Christ, I hate him.

I’d love to witness that kind of shit. I’d pop over and rep out his max.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:00 pm 

mr flaps wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Christ, I hate him.

I’d love to witness that kind of shit. I’d pop over and rep out his max.

There are few things in life more satisfying than a brutal gym mogging.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:00 pm 

Going back to the recent discussion on how fitness YouTube channels run out on content ideas fair quickly.
Eddie Hall has an amusing enough one where his wife eats his fault intake, and he eats hers.

Bit long, but entertaining enough seeing how full she gets.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:51 pm 

Pulled 405lbs/185kg for 7 today. Ankle felt fine, but my conditioning is shite. Did a few deficits and some frame carries and I was completely shagged. Lots to do in the next 6 weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:01 am 

Decent. :thumbup:

Pulling volume absolutely shags you (that phrasing is just for yeeb).

Managed 100 3x3 on bench this morning. Huzzah, never done that volume at that weight before. For ages my goal has been to be able to do "some reps" at 100. Just be comfortable moving it for more than a couple of singles or doubles. Getting there.

Finished with puase bench with feet off the floor, floor press, TPF, and face pulls.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:02 am 

:lol:
:thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:21 pm 

From the SA doping thread. I've been taking the wrong creatine for all these years. :(

Quote:
Mate, it completely changed my body. I was playing rugby and gyming anyway, but suddenly my muscles just got bigger and stronger. My chest and legs grew exponentially, and I remember thinking at the time how powerful that stuff must have been. One of my roommates decided to take it with me but to not exercise, and he grew into quite a lump.

Also, it's basically 'roids.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:23 pm 

you needed to take the 'make you strong' roids, and not the 'make your eyebrows fall off / cancel driving ability' ones :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:00 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
From the SA doping thread. I've been taking the wrong creatine for all these years. :(

Quote:
Mate, it completely changed my body. I was playing rugby and gyming anyway, but suddenly my muscles just got bigger and stronger. My chest and legs grew exponentially, and I remember thinking at the time how powerful that stuff must have been. One of my roommates decided to take it with me but to not exercise, and he grew into quite a lump.

Thanks for that. I went and read some of thread and now I’m more stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:08 pm 

newportblue wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Quote:

I'm trying to get Flaps back for making me read some nonsense on another recent thread.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:12 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
newportblue wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Quote:

I'm trying to get Flaps back for making me read some nonsense on another recent thread.

Mission accomplished.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:26 am 

Breaking up my weekly load a bit differently this week, so did front squats and back this morning. The pull ups felt much better not doing them after DLs.

Front squat: 90x6, 4 sets
Pull ups: +10x5, BWx5, 3 sets
Seal row: 65x8, 3 sets
Narrow LPD: 60x12, 3 sets

Finished with a sled push challenge. The gym posts a leaderboard for the challenge every couple of months. I've bitched out of doing any thus far, but finally tried one.
Max reps uin three minutes sled push with half bodyweight added to the sled.

I got 14. One of the guys has 19.5. f**king hell. Lactic acid in the legs and lungs absolutely burning. My anaerobic capacity could use a bit of work!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:29 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Breaking up my weekly load a bit differently this week, so did front squats and back this morning. The pull ups felt much better not doing them after DLs.

Front squat: 90x6, 4 sets
Pull ups: +10x5, BWx5, 3 sets
Seal row: 65x8, 3 sets
Narrow LPD: 60x12, 3 sets

Finished with a sled push challenge. The gym posts a leaderboard for the challenge every couple of months. I've bitched out of doing any thus far, but finally tried one.
Max reps uin three minutes sled push with half bodyweight added to the sled.

I got 14. One of the guys has 19.5. f**king hell. Lactic acid in the legs and lungs absolutely burning. My anaerobic capacity could use a bit of work!

bit stringy was it ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:24 pm 

So I f**ked my back up a bit doing deadlifts about 2 months ago, not horribly, but basically got too hyped up and jerked my back too violently on the first rep, straining it for about a week. Since then I've been a bit reticent to go back to the platform.

As a result I opted to do leg presses for the first time ever, or at least for the first time since the very earliest days lifting as a teenager. I've long been on the "machines are for the weak" train, but have to say it has truly done wonders for my leg strength. Did DLs for the first time yesterday since my strain, and repped out 315 lbs (the same weight I hurt myself with) with ease.

Moral of the story: machines aren't all bad. Plus, one great thing I've been doing with the leg press is going reeeeaaaallly slowly up and down as I do my reps. While I suppose you could do this with free weights, I do feel "safer" doing this with a machine.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:31 pm 

Some machines can be really useful for building muscle size and work capacity. Like you say, it's much more controlled than with free weights, so you can do daft amounts of reps or very controlled movements.

Leg press is great for just adding more volume to a leg session when you don't want to do yet more squats and completely wipe yourself out with total body fatigue.
Some upper body machines are awful in terms of restricted plane of movement. They really don't feel good on my shoulders. Others allow a much more natural movement.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:35 pm 

Last night:

2 x 18 min rating 26 - 5 min rest - 1.57 avg
1 x 10 min rating 28 - 1.56 avg

Tonight:

2000m @ 24
1500m @ 26
1000m @ 28
500m @ 30

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:40 pm 

fonzeee wrote:
So I f**ked my back up a bit doing deadlifts about 2 months ago, not horribly, but basically got too hyped up and jerked my back too violently on the first rep, straining it for about a week. Since then I've been a bit reticent to go back to the platform.

As a result I opted to do leg presses for the first time ever, or at least for the first time since the very earliest days lifting as a teenager. I've long been on the "machines are for the weak" train, but have to say it has truly done wonders for my leg strength. Did DLs for the first time yesterday since my strain, and repped out 315 lbs (the same weight I hurt myself with) with ease.

Moral of the story: machines aren't all bad. Plus, one great thing I've been doing with the leg press is going reeeeaaaallly slowly up and down as I do my reps. While I suppose you could do this with free weights, I do feel "safer" doing this with a machine.

I feel like deadlift is one of the lifts you can train indirectly. Which is lucky because high volume/ frequency deadlifts are crap.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:42 pm 

fonzeee wrote:

I actually avoid using the leg press specifically to protect my back. I feel that when lowering high weights it can cause your lower back/pelvis to roll up out of the seat and therefore engages your lower back too much on the push. Maybe it's just my technique though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:54 pm 

I get the same thing, it’s easy to let the weight get lower than my squat mobility really allows and my back/pelvis curls a bit. I really have to focus on doing what almost feels like half reps.

I like to go slow on the way down, pause and then explode back up. Feels like it has the most carryover to regular squats.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:12 pm 

feckwanker wrote:
I actually avoid using the leg press specifically to protect my back. I feel that when lowering high weights it can cause your lower back/pelvis to roll up out of the seat and therefore engages your lower back too much on the push. Maybe it's just my technique though.

I'm the same, I find it really dodgy on my lower back. Although my gym has another one where you're more upright and pushing yourself up and back, it's a bit better. I remember seeing one in a video, I think it was Big Z or one of the strongmen, he had one where you're flat on your back and pushing straight up, so it took a lot of strain off the lower back. You'd never get it in a commercial gym though I guess, it was a monstrous piece of kit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:50 pm 

PourSomeRuggerOnMe wrote:
feckwanker wrote:

I'm the same, I find it really dodgy on my lower back. Although my gym has another one where you're more upright and pushing yourself up and back, it's a bit better. I remember seeing one in a video, I think it was Big Z or one of the strongmen, he had one where you're flat on your back and pushing straight up, so it took a lot of strain off the lower back. You'd never get it in a commercial gym though I guess, it was a monstrous piece of kit.

A hack squat machine?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:53 pm 

feckwanker wrote:
PourSomeRuggerOnMe wrote:
feckwanker wrote:

A hack squat machine?

No, it was unlike any leg press or squat machine I've seen. I'll try to dig up the video.

Edit: Here it is

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:18 pm 

Looking back in this thread I got down to a slim 86kg back in mid 2016. I ditched the gym and fitness stuff totally back in 2017. Not lifted a weight in 3 years. Weighed myself this morning and to my surprise I’m now 104.5kg’s! At 5’9” that’s a bit porky! March 2020 is going to be when I get back to the gym and fitness.
So I just have to lose 18kg to get back to a svelte 86kg? Feck me 18kg sounds like a lot!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:21 pm 

I've seen something like that in another video. Looks ridiculous, but the really long never swing makes the motion look way more comfortable.
You don't get squashed like on a normal leg press, where you're lower back rounds at the bottom.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:56 am 

Pulled a 230 single tonight, 5kg off my PR. It was an absolute bitch. Next week calls for 240 :uhoh:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:40 am 

feckwanker wrote:
Pulled a 230 single tonight, 5kg off my PR. It was an absolute bitch. Next week calls for 240 :uhoh:

Nice pull

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:54 am 

Holy smokes. Nice work. :thumbup:
Two days of rice and pasta and you should have it. You go in the evenings, don't you?

DLs for reps this morning for me. Then assistance work, finished with curls cuz curls.

DL: 150x6, 170x4, 180x4,4,4, 150x6 (mixed grip)
Hip thrusts: 200 x10, 3 sets
Paused DL: 150x5, 2 sets (wraps, no belt)
Curls

Meant to do the paused DLs before the hip thrusts, but only remembered them after I'd already started. Was fairly fried by the end.

I got a bunch of the other morning regulars to try the prowler challenge this morning. All of them beat me. There's only one other person on the leaderboard who did worse than me. :((
Now I no I'm going to have to do it again. x(

One of the guys this morning came oh so close to ralphing after he finished. He couldn't speak for a good few minutes afterwards and had to limp back down the stairs. Poor gus was in a bad way!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:15 pm 

Yeah I go in the evenings as I can't motivate myself to go any earlier! The weird thing is is that last week I went in a pulled 220 for a double and it felt like a piece of piss where as this felt like a serious grind. My head wasn't in it though and I wasn't as focused which, I find anyway, is a massive component when working up around 90% + weights.

That prowler thing sounds like absolute torture - not a hope I'd ever be able to even attempt it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 651, 652, 653, 654, 655, 656, 657, 658  Next