The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

All things Rugby
Nolanator

Re: The Training Thread - all aspects of fitness and health

Post by Nolanator »

OHP'd 80kg this morning. Lifetime PR. :smug:

All those reps of seated shoulder press over lockdown paid off!
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Back in Ireland, spent a couple of weeks lifting in the garden in my parents' house, using equipment I got when I was 18. Had no idea how good it was then.
Really enjoyed the deload and getting creative with ways to train. Had a BB, bench, rack and could get up to 113kg, so could cover pretty much everything.

Joined a gym here now. Have to book 75 minute slots about a day in advance. Got up at 5am yesterday and today to work out from 6-7:30. Then into work for the day. I'm dead, but really happy with the facilities.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

Nolanator wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:57 am Back in Ireland, spent a couple of weeks lifting in the garden in my parents' house, using equipment I got when I was 18. Had no idea how good it was then.
Really enjoyed the deload and getting creative with ways to train. Had a BB, bench, rack and could get up to 113kg, so could cover pretty much everything.

Joined a gym here now. Have to book 75 minute slots about a day in advance. Got up at 5am yesterday and today to work out from 6-7:30. Then into work for the day. I'm dead, but really happy with the facilities.
Nice one. Do you still feel the same passion for the weight room after lockdown? I’ve been back to the gym 3 times since July and just can’t be arsed with it anymore.

I had a heavy end of July/all of August drinking most weekends catching up with friends so my training went to shit. Before that in June I had my 5km time down to 20.46 and was banging out some 45km cycles (400-600m climbing) averaging 31kmph. Now I just feel unfit and lethargic as fook after taking my foot off the pedal for 6 weeks.

Have our first preseason friendly tomorrow which will be an eye-opener . . .
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Yep, mad as ever for it.

In a weird-ish situation now cuz I split with the GF a couple of months ago, but now we're working in the same campus. The process for getting jobs and the two of us moving back to Ireland together started ages ago, but things went another way in the meantime. Lockdown being the final straw/challenge that finished things.

Gyms in the UK reopened at the perfect time and I just threw myself back at it. All grand now and we're on perfectly amicable terms, but it means I don't have much outside stresses at the moment. Living with the folks for the moment and working my new job. Plenty of appetite for getting up and going to the gym (so far).
Plus someone else complimented my physique recently, so I've had renewed enthusiasm to go hard at it. :lol: :blush:

My running has gone to shit, mind you. Completely dropped off it with being back in the gym and then having a fúck load on my plate organising everything for the move back to Ireland. Went for a 4km run (20 minutes, and my HR hit 185 on an incline :uhoh: ) once I was home and it was only when I checked Strava that it had been 4 weeks since my last one. Did one since then and it was >27 mins for 5km. Just trying to get some kms back under my belt before running properly hard again.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Nolanator wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:22 pm Yep, mad as ever for it.

In a weird-ish situation now cuz I split with the GF a couple of months ago, but now we're working in the same campus. The process for getting jobs and the two of us moving back to Ireland together started ages ago, but things went another way in the meantime. Lockdown being the final straw/challenge that finished things.

Gyms in the UK reopened at the perfect time and I just threw myself back at it. All grand now and we're on perfectly amicable terms, but it means I don't have much outside stresses at the moment. Living with the folks for the moment and working my new job. Plenty of appetite for getting up and going to the gym (so far).
Plus someone else complimented my physique recently, so I've had renewed enthusiasm to go hard at it. :lol: :blush:

My running has gone to shit, mind you. Completely dropped off it with being back in the gym and then having a fúck load on my plate organising everything for the move back to Ireland. Went for a 4km run (20 minutes, and my HR hit 185 on an incline :uhoh: ) once I was home and it was only when I checked Strava that it had been 4 weeks since my last one. Did one since then and it was >27 mins for 5km. Just trying to get some kms back under my belt before running properly hard again.
Ah - she got a taste for some Prague Sausage ?!

Thought it had gone quiet on the PS4 front recently, up your game lad !
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Hah, no! She was back in Ireland a good few months by that stage.

PS4 is buried in a box in my bedroom at home. Must attach it to the TV soon.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Nolanator wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:07 pm Hah, no! She was back in Ireland a good few months by that stage.

PS4 is buried in a box in my bedroom at home. Must attach it to the TV soon.
Dublin white sausage then

So you back home, with the folks in your old bedroom and faded posters of Kelly brook ,single, north of 30, PlayStation boxed away, AND wasting time on a forum talking to me ?!
Jayz, poor bastard.

If it makes you feel better, I’ve got a decided pot belly now and not happy about it so I too may start hitting the gym and roadwork . Thinking of playing this season too if and when it starts up !
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Now I'm in work wasting time on here, which is much more acceptable. :thumbup:

The single while in the middle of social restrictions (plus living back in my old room), is less than ideal, though. I'll give you that.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Nolanator wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:27 pm Now I'm in work wasting time on here, which is much more acceptable. :thumbup:

The single while in the middle of social restrictions (plus living back in my old room), is less than ideal, though. I'll give you that.
Surprised to see you claim your grip has weakened , thought you’d be like Popeye now with your forearms !
Ag ag ag ag ag ag!
Foot Up

Post by Foot Up »

Im thinking of picking up an excercise bike for a bit of extra cardio on the wet mornings. Does anyone have any recommendations, or things to look out for.

Or even advice on what flywheel weight I should want
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Foot Up wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:57 pm......cardio.....

Wot?

:P
Think Blindsider is probably the person to answer this, although he's not posting as much these days, I think.

Could also try in the cycling thread? The regulars there must have some knowledge about stationary equipment.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Anybody else still here? :lol:

Really enjoying the stupidly early starts at the moment.

Have started exploring with other equipment in the gym (which is extremely well stocked).
Used the hack squat machine on Monday for volume after heavy squats. More quad focus, and less stress on the lower back. Today did some medium squats with the SSB, which felt like much less effort than the equivalent weight on a regular BB.
Also spotted a belt squat machine. Might give that a go on Monday for the added volume.

May as well get some use out of all the toys, even though I really care about BB stuff.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Not posting as much but still do some lurking!

Sorry to hear about you and the missus, had seen you were back in Ireland alright. Also noticed you werent doing as much running!
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Gym has my full and undivided attention these days. :lol:
Actually being back working full time means less time for afternoon naps to fit in more exercise. I'll get a Saturday run in most weeks, but that's it. Times have gone very backwards!

Cheers!
towny

Post by towny »

Guys! I started cross fit. Apparently I need to tell you all about it.

It’s so good!
towny

Post by towny »

Foot Up wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:57 pm Im thinking of picking up an excercise bike for a bit of extra cardio on the wet mornings. Does anyone have any recommendations, or things to look out for.

Or even advice on what flywheel weight I should want
If you’ve got some bucks to spend, I’ve heard that Peleton is the way to go.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

I just got myself a Kickr Core Turbo trainer and hooked it up with Zwift.
Pretty cool so far. Good for training with friends and chatting over a Teams call while on the bike.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

towny wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:41 pm Guys! I started cross fit. Apparently I need to tell you all about it.

It’s so good!
God I hate Crossfit.

Nols sorry to hear about the missus but that's one less gains goblin.

I've been tipping away the whole time as I'm fortunate enough to have a home gym. Recently started back into the local gym though and back running 5/3/1 which I really enjoy. I've about 3 more weeks before my life is turned upside down forever with the arrival of our first so I need to max my gains while I can.

I'd love to hit 80kg OHP (5kg off currently), 200kg squat (20kg off), 140 bench (10kg to go) and 250 dead (10kg to go) by the end of the year but I'd imagine my sleep pattern is going to be all over the place.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

I hit 80kg OHP just before I left England. Your other lifts are much better than mine, so you definitely have it no problem. Iron out the technique and you can grind through a fairly heavy rep.

Congrats on the sprog. :thumbup:
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Finally pulled the trigger and ordered some knee sleeves, having hummed and hawwed about it for ages.
I'm expecting a 10kg increase on my squat instantly.

Used the belt squat machine in my gym after squats this morning. Used my dip/pull up belt, which is quite broad and it was digging into my hips when I dropped down. Still felt useful, though. Plenty of volume through the legs with no strain on the back.
backrow

Post by backrow »

feckwanker wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:47 pm
towny wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:41 pm Guys! I started cross fit. Apparently I need to tell you all about it.

It’s so good!
God I hate Crossfit.

Nols sorry to hear about the missus but that's one less gains goblin.

I've been tipping away the whole time as I'm fortunate enough to have a home gym. Recently started back into the local gym though and back running 5/3/1 which I really enjoy. I've about 3 more weeks before my life is turned upside down forever with the arrival of our first so I need to max my gains while I can.

I'd love to hit 80kg OHP (5kg off currently), 200kg squat (20kg off), 140 bench (10kg to go) and 250 dead (10kg to go) by the end of the year but I'd imagine my sleep pattern is going to be all over the place.
First child ! Nice one fella, may as well bin your console now as next time you will have energy to play, the PS6 will be out.
Just one word of warning, my pals who are gym rats and stocky, all turned into fat pieces of shit when they became dads, as well as turned grey. Luckily, all but one of them eventually got back in shape , but I do have one pal who is still a big fat mess.

I hope everything goes well for you & your family fella , being a dad is awesome.
One final word of warning - women are extremely fertile after giving birth, learn from me as my eldest two are pretty close in age !
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Latest toy in the gym: farmer carry handles. Mucked about with them at the end of this morning's session. Gonna use them again at the weekend on shoulder day and go properly heavy. :o
Newportblue88

Post by Newportblue88 »

I couldn’t remember my log in but I’m back.

Glad to see the thread is still going.

I am still training at home even tho the gyms are back open.

Training is going ok ( even with a few sore spots).

Hit a 161.25 bench for 3 recently which is a PB. ( should have been 162.5 but I miss loaded the bar :lol: )
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

Newportblue88 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:33 am I couldn’t remember my log in but I’m back.

Hit a 161.25 bench for 3 recently which is a PB. ( should have been 162.5 but I miss loaded the bar :lol: )
:thumbup:

Some effort. How long have you been lifting for consistently to get to that level?

I bought a turbo trainer last week and have been really enjoying the virtual cycles/races on Zwift. Been on the bike for 30-45 mins everyday going hard so legs are a bit wrecked. Ironically I have my first game of the season later which should be fun!
Should probably rest up tomorrow but I’m enjoying the cycling too much so will probably clock in an easy 30 mins to loosen up the legs after the game later.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Good to see you, NPB. :thumbup:
Those are serious numbers.

Shoulders this morning. Did farmer carries with 75kg each hand. Holy shit, they're fun. Seeing stars after each set and had to use wraps for the third set cuz the grip on my right hand was totally gone.

Absolutely in my element making hideous faces with girls in gymsharks around me. :lol:
Newportblue88

Post by Newportblue88 »

Jim Lahey wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:45 am [quote="Newportblue88 " post_id=6691978 time=<a href="tel:1601710395">1601710395</a> user_id=634027]
I couldn’t remember my log in but I’m back.

:thumbup:

Some effort. How long have you been lifting for consistently to get to that level?

I bought a turbo trainer last week and have been really enjoying the virtual cycles/races on Zwift. Been on the bike for 30-45 mins everyday going hard so legs are a bit wrecked. Ironically I have my first game of the season later which should be fun!
Should probably rest up tomorrow but I’m enjoying the cycling too much so will probably clock in an easy 30 mins to loosen up the legs after the game later.
[/quote]

Thank you. I don’t actually know. Over 10 years but in various different styles.
Newportblue88

Post by Newportblue88 »

Nolanator wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:10 pm Good to see you, NPB. :thumbup:
Those are serious numbers.

Shoulders this morning. Did farmer carries with 75kg each hand. Holy shit, they're fun. Seeing stars after each set and had to use wraps for the third set cuz the grip on my right hand was totally gone.

Absolutely in my element making hideous faces with girls in gymsharks around me. :lol:
Thanks Nol. Sorry to hear about your relationship.

Farmers look so fun. I’d really like a proper pair at home.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

https://www.exigo-uk.com/products/exigo ... alks-pair/

These are the ones my gym has. No idea how much they cost. Or how heavy they actually are. Think they're 15kg, but haven't been able to find out for certain.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Got knee sleeves last week. Tried them while doing medium-ish safety bar squats. They felt nice.

Heavy squats this morning and I set a lifetime PR, plus a couple of rep PRs as I ramped up. They are amazing. Best way I can describe it is that my knees don't feel as likely to cave inwards, so I don't bleed power and can drive more effectively through my quads/glutes. I'm sure they give some spring assistance, but they make my form feel waaaayyy tighter.

165. The magical 4 plates is in sight.
Newportblue88

Post by Newportblue88 »

Nolanator wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:01 am Got knee sleeves last week. Tried them while doing medium-ish safety bar squats. They felt nice.

Heavy squats this morning and I set a lifetime PR, plus a couple of rep PRs as I ramped up. They are amazing. Best way I can describe it is that my knees don't feel as likely to cave inwards, so I don't bleed power and can drive more effectively through my quads/glutes. I'm sure they give some spring assistance, but they make my form feel waaaayyy tighter.

Nice lifting nol.

Never used knee sleeves, maybe I should :D
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Newportblue88 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:20 am
Nolanator wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:01 am Got knee sleeves last week. Tried them while doing medium-ish safety bar squats. They felt nice.

Nice lifting nol.

Never used knee sleeves, maybe I should :D
:lol:
They didn't magically make me set a PR or fix my torso bracing (where I'd usually fail), but they definitely helped keep things pointing in the right direction.
I was planning on working up to maybe a few heavy doubles, of whatever felt appropriate, but I was smashing through the sets as I worked up to my top sets, so readjusted and went for some singles beyond what I'd been aiming for.

Sometimes when you're feeling good you just have to make hay.

The sizing on Strengthshop stuff seems weird. I wear a small belt, but XL knee sleeves. I guess some superheavyweight lifter is going to have a significantly larger gut than me, but there's only so much you can increase the circumference of your knee joints.
backrow

Post by backrow »

lolz at the weird shaped eyebrowless thick-kneed hobbit, sounds like Popeye but upside down
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

You're such a weirdo.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

I am straddling the line between 99 and 100kgs at the moment. 3 months in a moon boot, in lockdown, meant a lot more food and booze than I should have partaken in. Going to get back on the wagon next week though.

Am trying to get out for runs a few times a week, but without a race or season to train for I am finding it tough mentally to get going to be honest. Any tips?
backrow

Post by backrow »

Nolanator wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:38 pm :lol:
You're such a weirdo.

Whatever you say, Poindexter O’Chunknee

When are ye next on Psn? I may have some news ..
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

My single scull work has come on loads over the summer when we were not allowed to crew race.

Ended up buying my first boat a few weeks back. :thumbup:

Need to come up with a name for it.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Scully McScullface
Usain Boat
Raoul Boat
Och Aye Canoe
Terrible Oar deal
Danny’s shiny pair of Rowlocks
Yippee Kayak Motherfucker
Richard Keel
Howard Keel
Total Anchor
Brian Back Ferry
Eddy Cochran
Sally Gunnell
Howard stern
Last edited by backrow on Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 11 times in total.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

backrow wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:35 pm Scully McScullface
That could work :thumbup:
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

Did a Zwift race last night in C category and low and behold, who won the race but Austin Healey?
The gobshite finished 6mins ahead of me 3.5 half mins ahead of the main group. He beat the leading A and B category riders as well.
He should leave fat f**ks like me in Cat C alone and pick on someone his own size.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Jim Lahey wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:07 am Did a Zwift race last night in C category and low and behold, who won the race but Austin Healey?
The gobshite finished 6mins ahead of me 3.5 half mins ahead of the main group. He beat the leading A and B category riders as well.
He should leave fat f**ks like me in Cat C alone and pick on someone his own size.
No shame in losing to a former professional athlete - near the end of his career he competed in one off remake of “Superstars” against other sports stars , and won pretty much everything comfortably.

2002, the BBC held a one-off, but truncated, UK Championship as a major feature of its biannual Sport Relief charity telethon. Featuring a field including Sir Steve Redgrave, Martin Offiah, John Regis, Austin Healey and Chris Boardman, the event was a first for a British Superstars event in that it featured both non-British competitors (Dwight Yorke and Gianluca Vialli) and also female participants (Alex Coomber and Stephanie Cook). With only seven events (as opposed to the usual eight or ten) and being only part of a larger event instead of being a stand-alone series, the contest was different from those of the earlier era.

While the participants were no less able, the event was less 'competitive', with no prize money at stake and no European, World or International contest to qualify for. It was dominated by Healey, who won four of his five events, and came runner-up in the other. Stephanie Cook was the other stand-out performer, finishing joint second with Olympic cycling champion Chris Boardman, and finishing runner-up in two events.