Chat Forum
It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 1:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 650, 651, 652, 653, 654
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:52 am 

How do you lads manage calorie cutting and cardio?

I’ve dropped about 5kgs in the last 4 weeks from not eating like an idiot but have dropped my running/cycling.

Keen to get back to 4 sessions a week for the mental/physical aspect but I feel flat energy-wise as I’m not eating anywhere near the same amount of carbs. My main focus is getting myself down to consistently below 95kg (currently at 97.8) but I’m struggling to balance the exercise/diet. Diet-wise I’m only eating meats, lentils/beans, eggs and veg, with a day off at the weekend when I eat whatever.

Anyone got any tips? Should I just be focusing on low-intensity runs/cycles while cutting or is HIIT better?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:55 am 

I don't. :thumbup:

Walk more, move more. Get your base energy expenditure up. Sure, running or other intense exercise will burn calories, but there's a practical limit to how much you can do.

If that doesn't work, you gotta restrict calories more.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:58 am 

Nolanator wrote:
I don't. :thumbup:

Walk more, move more. Get your base energy expenditure up. Sure, running or other intense exercise will burn calories, but there's a practical limit to how much you can do.

If that doesn't work, you gotta restrict calories more.

I’m on a 55 day streak of 10+k steps which I’m finding has been working great, but still keen to get out and do proper stuff. Ideally 2x 50km cycles with about 600-800m climbing each one, a slow 10km and maybe a sprint session.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:01 am 

I'd think about why you've reduced carbs to that extent and how it will impact performance. I'd suggest following Andrew Read if you're interested in carb reduction and athletic performance. He does eat pretty low carbs, but feels strongly that carbs are important to endurance athletes.

He has an older athletes facebook group, if that applies to you. Roughly 35+.

edit - https://www.facebook.com/groups/Ultra40fitness
He can be a bit of an acquired taste, but there's no arguing he knows what he's about.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:27 am 

Something to take seriously -

dpedin's post on the bottom of page 619 of the covid thread.

Sudden breathlessness during a walk after very mild illness. Pulmonary embolism, and despite two negative covid tests the doctors are considering it a post-covid complication. Unusual blood clotting is common in the seriously ill, embolisms have killed covid patients. We have no idea how common that is in those who were less seriously ill, even considered asymptomatic.

Take it seriously, if you experience any symptoms like that go straight to hospital.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:50 am 

:thumbup:

Saw that post. Interesting, and worrying.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:01 pm 

And this is the state of the fitness professional today.

He's a covid conspiracy theorist, I've just noticed that.

edit -

Last edited by bobbity on Tue May 26, 2020 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:12 pm 

Jim Lahey wrote:
How do you lads manage calorie cutting and cardio?

I’ve dropped about 5kgs in the last 4 weeks from not eating like an idiot but have dropped my running/cycling.

Keen to get back to 4 sessions a week for the mental/physical aspect but I feel flat energy-wise as I’m not eating anywhere near the same amount of carbs. My main focus is getting myself down to consistently below 95kg (currently at 97.8) but I’m struggling to balance the exercise/diet. Diet-wise I’m only eating meats, lentils/beans, eggs and veg, with a day off at the weekend when I eat whatever.

Anyone got any tips? Should I just be focusing on low-intensity runs/cycles while cutting or is HIIT better?

Listened to a good podcast on this the last week ( iron culture).

As Nol says I would concentrate on increasing NEAT, so how much you’re moving during the day outside the gym/exercise. Doesn’t have to be anything fancy, just walking more.

If you want to keep doing cardio, then HIT or LISS won’t have much difference overall. Choose whatever fits in with your life best and you enjoy. Consistent beats “optimal”.

Overall I’m not a big fan of meal timing importance but you could try introducing carbs pre work out.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:18 pm 

Hah, I was thinking of that exact podcast when I answered. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:20 pm 

bobbity wrote:

And this is the state of the fitness professional today.

He's a covid conspiracy theorist, I've just noticed that.

edit -

What's the story there? Mod in a community that you posted the anecdote to?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:30 pm 

Yep. Whilst it's an anecdote, it has been specifically warned about by experts. I know you're not using the term in a derogatory fashion, but basically anecdote is where we are at right now. It, and the evidence of the critically ill, is about all PTs have to make assessments about how to work with those who have so far been less seriously ill.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 1:25 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
He's going for 300, isn't he? I missed the log press attempt.

I believe so.

I’ve not really done much Stone lifting. I think I’ve done 60 and 80. Got 120 one off the ground about 1cm. I can’t get my head round 286 or 300 tho.

Crazy number.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 1:26 pm 

Yep, I meant anecdote I'm the positive sense. :thumbup:

Odd behaviour. The justification for removing the post is 🤦🏼‍♂️

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:21 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Yep, I meant anecdote I'm the positive sense. :thumbup:

Odd behaviour. The justification for removing the post is 🤦🏼‍♂️

You wonder what he thinks the potential risks of 'fear mongering' in this scenario are.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:46 pm 

Running; what do when calf pain?

Last few days I've had an ache stemming from the inside of the lower portion my calf/Achilles, which extends down to the inner ankle knobble. Definitely aggravated by running.
Anyone had similar?

Obviously the simple immediate treatment is not to run, if running hurts, but I'm curious as what causes it.
Just try not to make it worse and stretch my calves a lot?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:08 pm 

There's a stiffness paradox here. You need stiffness to run, it's an adaptation. You're probably also asking for mobility in the ankle as a lifter

I'd suggest trying Andrew Read's calf raise idea (yes, I follow and respect other PTs) - raise on both feet from the floor, lower on one over 3-5s. Repeat, lowering on the same foot for 30 reps. Then do the other side.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:13 pm 

:thumbup:

Ankle mobility is ok, but certainly nothing to write home about. I suspect it's partly aggravated by the increase in running over the last couple of months. Did 7km a few days ago, then did a fast-ish 3km the following day when I was feeling a bit beaten up.
Probably should have just gone for a walk for the fresh air rather than run, and give it a chance to chill.
Day off, then intervals yesterday, bit ouchie today.

A few weeks ago it was a bit tender after an 8km run. Seems to be the longer distances that do it.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:45 pm 

Longer distances may just be a reflection of more volume if you see what I mean. Calf loading is pretty high during running, even if you're not a fancy forefoot striker.

Apropos of something, a chap reminded me the other day of a useful saying - we overestimate what we can do in a year, and underestimate what we can do in five.

Getting out there routinely without worrying regularly about how far/fast might be really useful. As a runner most of us barely register above 'beginner', and the consequences of being 'bigger' and trying to run a lot in a relatively short space of time might be quite bad.

The good runners in my gym (guys who have 'serious' park run times) are tiny and have run since they were young.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:57 pm 

Makes sense. I'm lugging 90kg around with no background in steady slow running before the last couple of years. Prior to that, it was rugby, which is completely different, and I've never been a natural runner anyway. My technique has come on leaps in the last two years, despite running less overall per week compared to when I was training two evenings a week and playing on the weekend.
Easy to plod from ruck to set piece to tackle and carry un-dynamically without fine-tuning how efficient you are at it.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:05 pm 

On an unrelated note, pistol squats are coming good. Can do them unassisted holding a 5kg weight out in front as a counter balance (and wearing lifting shoes). Loads of room for improvement with control and technique, but it's a good start.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:25 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Sliotar into the meat under the shoulder blade. :thumbup:

Yeah, I read that post and was heavily conflicted. Jealous of being able to do BB movements, but using a women's bar? x(
Whatever about throwing the maths off, it's skinnier and would feel really odd.

It's actually the same thickness, not sure where he found it tbh!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 650, 651, 652, 653, 654