Boks post RWC

All things Rugby
Chilli

Re: Boks post RWC

Post by Chilli »

PSDT to stay in SA. I wonder how much money is being thrown at him, and who is paying.
assfly

Post by assfly »

Chilli wrote:PSDT to stay in SA. I wonder how much money is being thrown at him, and who is paying.
SA Rugby must be paying him in gold bars. He's nuts to turn down that sort of money, especially as Rassie is likely to still pick him for the Boks.
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

assfly wrote:
Chilli wrote:PSDT to stay in SA. I wonder how much money is being thrown at him, and who is paying.
SA Rugby must be paying him in gold bars. He's nuts to turn down that sort of money, especially as Rassie is likely to still pick him for the Boks.
Not everyone is so eager to leave SA as some of you expats
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

handyman wrote:For me it comes down to knock out rugby. Some teams can win a must win game, other's not so good at it.

For consistency, the RC is a better measure, for composure under pressure, the RWC.
NZ are under huge pressure to win every test. They set that standard and the public demands it. In comparison the Boks waver with that mental side and lose to weak teams like Wales, Scotland, Argentina Japan and Italy. The great thing about the All Blacks v Springboks rivalry it that the Boks invariably rise to the challenge. Not often winning, but mostly making a game of it :thumbup:
assfly

Post by assfly »

Big Nipper wrote:Not everyone is so eager to leave SA as some of you expats
He can come back when he's done, like they all do. His career will be over in a few years, 2 years abroad could set his family up for life. Pride doesn't pay the bills.
handyman

Post by handyman »

mr bungle wrote:
handyman wrote:For me it comes down to knock out rugby. Some teams can win a must win game, other's not so good at it.

For consistency, the RC is a better measure, for composure under pressure, the RWC.
NZ are under huge pressure to win every test. They set that standard and the public demands it. In comparison the Boks waver with that mental side and lose to weak teams like Wales, Scotland, Argentina Japan and Italy. The great thing about the All Blacks v Springboks rivalry it that the Boks invariably rise to the challenge. Not often winning, but mostly making a game of it :thumbup:
It's true that since we came back to international rugby, you've done a good job of catching up in winning %. It's also true that we have a better record in RWC's when the pressure is on and it's win or go home.
handyman

Post by handyman »

assfly wrote:
Big Nipper wrote:Not everyone is so eager to leave SA as some of you expats
He can come back when he's done, like they all do. His career will be over in a few years, 2 years abroad could set his family up for life. Pride doesn't pay the bills.
While PSDT certainly is in a good financial position right now, the money move overseas would have set him and is family up for life. I think he's cut from different cloth and it's not all about the money for him.

It speaks volumes of the environment at the Stormers/WP that he will rather stay here than be the best paid rugby player in the world. For that, I applaud him and the Stormers/WP.
assfly

Post by assfly »

handyman wrote:While PSDT certainly is in a good financial position right now, the money move overseas would have set him and is family up for life. I think he's cut from different cloth and it's not all about the money for him.

It speaks volumes of the environment at the Stormers/WP that he will rather stay here than be the best paid rugby player in the world. For that, I applaud him and the Stormers/WP.
Applause don't pay the bills either.

But I agree, it does sound like he isn't short of a few bucks. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad to see him stick around and I wish more did. But given the current exchange rate I wouldn't blame anyone for grabbing an opportunity.

I see Cobus Weise is heading over to Manchester.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

handyman wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

It's true that since we came back to international rugby, you've done a good job of catching up in winning %. It's also true that we have a better record in RWC's when the pressure is on and it's win or go home.
Of course you need to tighten your scope to find some perceived edge. Both teams have won 13 RWC knock out games since 1995, but NZ have played in two more knockout games. So an 8% edge in favour of the Boks, albeit from a smaller sample. Yet the Boks have drawn Samoa, Fiji and Japan in quarter finals. Three teams NZ have never faced in knockout competition. NZ have only ever played tier one teams in RWC knockout play :thumbup:
handyman

Post by handyman »

assfly wrote:
handyman wrote:While PSDT certainly is in a good financial position right now, the money move overseas would have set him and is family up for life. I think he's cut from different cloth and it's not all about the money for him.

Applause don't pay the bills either.

But I agree, it does sound like he isn't short of a few bucks. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad to see him stick around and I wish more did. But given the current exchange rate I wouldn't blame anyone for grabbing an opportunity.

I see Cobus Weise is heading over to Manchester.
Applause don't pay the bills, but as a senior Bok he will be on a very good salary.
handyman

Post by handyman »

mr bungle wrote:
handyman wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

Of course you need to tighten your scope to find some perceived edge. Both teams have won 13 RWC knock out games since 1995, but NZ have played in two more knockout games. So an 8% edge in favour of the Boks, albeit from a smaller sample. Yet the Boks have drawn Samoa, Fiji and Japan in quarter finals. Three teams NZ have never faced in knockout competition. NZ have only ever played tier one teams in RWC knockout play :thumbup:
We can't hope to find even a perceived edge, we're only a 3rd world country where politicians are way too involved in our rugby, not only now, but in the past as well. As a nation with 1 hand tied behind our backs, we've done well.

Regarding our knockout opposition, well there's nothing we can do but beat what's in front of us.
Last edited by handyman on Fri May 15, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

He want to play with his boetie. Family is very important to the du Toits.
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

OomPB wrote:
He want to play with his boetie. Family is very important to the ddu Toits.
Sê dit reg : Doe Twaa
Soes in Ceres.
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

OomPB wrote:
Whenever I have seen an interview with PSDT, he seems a very humble, respectful and pious guy. Unlikely to do a Dan Carter and be arrested in France with cocaine.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Lemoentjie wrote:
OomPB wrote:
Whenever I have seen an interview with PSDT, he seems a very humble, respectful and pious guy. Unlikely to do a Dan Carter and be arrested in France with cocaine.
Another boring Saffer god botherer, no doubt. And you’re alluding to dickhead Ali Williams, not Carter.
Wilson's Toffee

mr bungle wrote:
Lemoentjie wrote:
OomPB wrote:
Another boring Saffer god botherer, no doubt. And you’re alluding to dickhead Ali Williams, not Carter.
Du Toit's family emigrated to the Cape because of religious persecution. Seems as if history might repeat itself.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Lemoentjie wrote:
OomPB wrote:
Du Toit's family emigrated to the Cape because of religious persecution. Seems as if history might repeat itself.
Emigrated from where?
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

JoC on WC Springbokke
S24
.Wallaby star sheds light on SA connection
15:56 16/05/2020

Reds and Wallabies utility back James O'Connor says he was "genuinely happy" for the Springboks when they won last year's Rugby World Cup.

Register your interest for the British & Irish Lions tickets in South Africa 2021

O'Connor, whose Wallabies bowed out of the tournament in Japan with a 40-16 loss to England in the quarter-finals, spoke exclusively to Sport24 this week when he shed more light on his South African connection.

After Australia's exit at the global showpiece, the 29-year-old who boasts 52 Tests said he didn't mind seeing South Africa lifting the trophy.

"My mum was born in New Zealand, but her grandparents were South African and her parents still live in South Africa. So that is my connection to South Africa. In terms of the World Cup, I was genuinely happy for the Springboks. At the time, I felt that if we couldn’t win I would be pleased if South Africa won the World Cup.

"As Siya Kolisi said, they were playing for something greater than themselves. You could just feel the energy and there was a whole nation behind them. The boys were literally playing for something bigger than rugby supporters. It was very powerful to be able to experience that when I was in Japan even though we weren't involved in the final," he said.

According O’Connor, coach Rassie Erasmus deserves heaps of credit for South Africa’s success.

"I think the Springboks’ turnaround is credit to Rassie Erasmus. There are now a few videos coming out of the Springbok journey and how they got there and you can see that Rassie is a proud but very humble and open man. I watched his team talk the other day and thought to myself: 'I could imagine being coached by this guy.'"
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

mr bungle wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Lemoentjie wrote:
OomPB wrote: He want to play with his boetie. Family is very important to the du Toits.
Emigrated from where?
He probably means France.
Wilson's Toffee

French Hugenots. They made an enormous impression on the country. And their identity and contribution is still recognised and appreciated.
boere wors

Post by boere wors »

Sards

Post by Sards »

PSDT probably was hoping the Sharks or Bulls would throw him a line. He burnt his bridges there and we are just dandy without him.

The rugby environment here in the Cape is toxic.

The administration is a mess. From club level through to the Stormers.
With the support base so loyal and piable you would think it should be the Greatest Club in Africa. Given its location and the fact that it is led by the DA you would think so. Yet the top side is simply a mixed bag of individual players with fragile egos. If they could somehow get their shit together and employ professional administrators they could seriously challenge most sides in the world.

Interesting the different strategies by the two most impressive Soup franchises the Bulls and Sharks.
Sharks made a fortune selling the Du Prees and instead of big names went shopping for potential youngsters. Ok there is always the danger that youngsters might get the urge to go take on the world and be susceptible to contract offers abroad...yet the two first choice Springboks in the team are very happy to continue playing for the franchise knowing that the exposure there will always make them an attractive overseas poach. The youngsters offer you longevity if you keep them interested. Less likely to break down and not damaged by the negativity and disappointment that comes from playing for a side that never delivers after promising so much. So you can really build their confidence.

By comparison the Bulls are buying big name pensioners. You can argue that " you can't buy experience " but if that experience is of losing that's what you are buying. Overall if you look at the side they are assembling it shows that they are prepared to throw the dice and take their business seriously. The problem with old timers is that they break down and take longer to recover and the obvious...they cost more.
handyman

Post by handyman »

Quite impressed with PSDT's business skills. Brains to go with the brawn. It's no wonder he is player of the year.
assfly

Post by assfly »

Summary of changes; as of today:

Bulls:
In:
Marcel van der Merwe (Toulon)
Gio Aplon (Verblitz)
Arno Botha (Munster)

Out:
Johnny Kotze (Shimizu Blue Sharks)
Dylan Sage (TBC)

Cheetahs:
In:

Jeandre Rudolph (Pumas)
Frans Steyn (Montpellier)
Marcell Muller (Montpellier)
George Cronje (Clermont)
Howard Mnisi (Southern Kings)
Ian Groenewald (Griquas)

Out:

Joseph Dweba (Bordeaux)
Jasper Wiese (TBC)

Southern Kings:
Out:

Howard Mnisi (Cheetahs)

Lions:
Out:

Malcolm Marx (TBC)
Tyrone Green (TBC)
Ruan Vermaak (TBC)
Shaun Reynolds (Uson Nevers, French ProD2)

Sharks:
Out:

Tyler Paul (Japan)

Stormers:
Out:

Cobus Wiese (Sale Sharks)
Dillyn Leyds (La Rochelle)
Wilco Louw (Harlequins)
Jean-Luc Du Plessis (TBC)

*Pieter-Steph du Toit ( Terminated current contract)
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Duanne Vermeulen?
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/super ... e-48185156
JOHANNESBURG - It’s exactly 20 years ago to the day that the Cats featured in the Super 12 semi-finals for the first time, and what a star-studded team it was that ran out in Canberra against the Brumbies.
Only three starters in the Laurie Mains-coached team didn’t play for the Springboks; the rest all wore the green and gold and many of the squad members, including in the coaching staff, went on to achieve other significant milestones after hanging up their boots.

The combination side - made up of players from the Lions and the Cheetahs - was led by Rassie Erasmus, who’d go on to coach the World Cup winning Bok side last year and is now the Director of Rugby in South Africa. The team’s physiotherapist was Jacques Nienaber, who was the Boks’ defence coach last year in Japan and is now the new Bok head coach.

Andre Vos, who wore the No 8 jersey throughout the 11-game campaign in 2000, was the newly-appointed Bok captain, while lock Johan Ackermann went on to coach the Lions to the Super Rugby final in 2016 and 2017.

The Cats of 2000 finished fourth on the log after their 11 games, winning seven and losing four. It was a bit of a topsy-turvy campaign as they beat the Bulls (23-19, Pretoria) and Stormers (22-18, Joburg) first-up, but then lost all four their matches in Australasia - to the Waratahs (51-16), Highlanders (33-31), Hurricanes (29-23) and Brumbies (64-0).

Mains’ team returned to South Africa and then won five on the trot to qualify for the semi-finals. They beat the Sharks (28-27 in Durban), Crusaders (54-31 in Joburg), Reds (36-32 in Bloemfontein), Blues (34-27 in Joburg) and the Chiefs (53-3 in Bloemfontein).

Vos said he had only fond memories of the Cats. “We had so many good times I enjoyed those years,” said Vos, who now lives in Cape Town and works in the financial sector.

“I was happy to play under Rassie in those days. I knew then already he would go on to achieve great things in the game.

Rassie Erasmus has become a hit on Twitter. Picture: Sydney Mahlangu/BackpagePix
“But there were so many guys in that team who went on to achieve their goals and dreams. So many guys had played for the Boks or would go on to do so it was a great team.”

The backline that ran out in the semi-final was: Thinus Delport, Chester Williams, Grant Esterhuizen, Japie Mulder, Jannie van der Walt, Louis Koen and Werner Swanepoel. Hennie le Roux and Dean Hall played some of the games in the regular season.

The forwards were just as star-studded: Vos, Andre Venter, Erasmus, Jannes Labuschagne, Ackermann, Willie Meyer, Leon Boshoff and Marius Mostert.

“The Cats teams of 1998 and 1999 got smashed and then Laurie Mains, the New Zealander who’d coached the All Blacks at the 1995 World Cup in South Africa, arrived for the 2000 season,” remembered Vos.

“I’d just got back from my stint with Queensland where I’d played for a while. At one of our first team meetings, Laurie got up and said he had only one rule; that no individuals would ruin his team meaning he picked the team and no-one in the team was bigger than the collective.

“He got us working hard and focused us on doing the basics really well. He made it clear that the reason New Zealand teams were so good was because they did the basics first, and they did them well. Yes, the New Zealand teams scored spectacular tries, many of them after many phases of play and from long range, but the basics first had to be in place.”

After playing 33 Tests between 1999 and 2001, Vos retired from international rugby at the young age of 27 in 2002 and left Joburg for London where he ran out for Harlequins for several seasons.

“It was nice to leave the game on my terms,” said the now 45-year-old. “I was still playing good rugby and never wanted to hang around for too long. I enjoyed all my rugby; at EP, in Joburg, in Queensland and in London. And playing for the Boks was special.”

Vos said he was thrilled to see Erasmus take charge of South African rugby and felt only good times lay ahead. “I take my hat off to Rassie; how he turned things around last year. There was so much talent in that team, but there was so little belief in the players, but he built up the players’ confidence and just look at what they achieved. Rassie got them believing in themselves and the squad as a whole.

“The way that the Bok team played in that final in Japan last year went beyond what we all expected. It was so exciting and I am convinced that if Rassie and Jacques can build on what was achieved last year, exciting times lie ahead for Bok rugby.”

For the record, the Eddie Jones-coached Brumbies team lost the 2000 Super Rugby final to the Crusaders in Canberra, 20-19.

Interesting read.
assfly

Post by assfly »

If you've got 30 mintutes spare, I highly recommend Squidge Rugby's latest videos on how the Boks won the world up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDrUMVI7oQM&t=1674s

Even Rassie came out to compliment him on his analysis.
boere wors

Post by boere wors »

assfly wrote:If you've got 30 mintutes spare, I highly recommend Squidge Rugby's latest videos on how the Boks won the world up:

Thanks for posting, will watch it later. I liked his videos during the RWC, always spot on.
assfly

Post by assfly »

boere wors wrote: Thanks for posting, will watch it later. I liked his videos during the RWC, always spot on.
He's definitely got a soft spot for the Boks.

He summed up Rassie's selection methodology when says how Rassie "doesn't pick the best players, but the right players".
boere wors

Post by boere wors »

assfly wrote:
boere wors wrote: Thanks for posting, will watch it later. I liked his videos during the RWC, always spot on.
He's definitely got a soft spot for the Boks.

He summed up Rassie's selection methodology when says how Rassie "doesn't pick the best players, but the right players".
"Pick the right guys"... wasn't that on a chart in one of Rassies twitter videos?! :thumbup:
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

assfly wrote:If you've got 30 mintutes spare, I highly recommend Squidge Rugby's latest videos on how the Boks won the world up:

:( Seems a long time ago.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Rassie stand back for Siya and players to take the glory.

https://youtu.be/EoKjc8iI8RM
Fangle

Post by Fangle »

After NZ beat us in the group stages, and Rassie came onto the field with his enormous smile, I started to get hope. I felt that the team had done enough for Rassie to feel that with the correct tactics we could win. I thought that Rassie had a plan up his sleeve. So, before the final, I suggested that they would change their tactics for that match. And Jens told me no way. That they would stick to the proven style.

But Rassie’s smile in that early match made me think otherwise. To quote the A-Team, I love it when a plan comes together.
Fangle

Post by Fangle »

By the way, I make no claim to be a rugby expert. I’m probably the worst here other than possibly Sards.
Bokkom

Post by Bokkom »

Fangle wrote:By the way, I make no claim to be a rugby expert. I’m probably the worst here other than possibly Sards.
Nope, I'm probably worse than you. But then again, we grew up with the game and there is something instinctive there. It is not really that complex.
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

OomPB wrote:Rassie stand back for Siya and players to take the glory.

https://youtu.be/EoKjc8iI8RM
Siya and Rassie both so humble, especially Siya
Fangle

Post by Fangle »

I had to smile at his slipping in the comment that Canada’s defensive tactic was to miss tackles.
boere wors

Post by boere wors »

is that still available somewhere? youtube link doesn't work...
Fangle

Post by Fangle »

boere wors wrote:

is that still available somewhere? youtube link doesn't work...
It worked originally, but no longer for me either.
Fangle

Post by Fangle »

Maybe this. Too late for me to go through it now to check.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lKnAlDayGdY