25% of kids get chicken pox at school 'tolerant' of anti-vac

All things Rugby
Redsfan

25% of kids get chicken pox at school 'tolerant' of anti-vac

Post by Redsfan »

One in four of the children who attend a Brunswick school that calls for tolerance for vaccine dodgers has contracted chickenpox.

At least 80 of the 320 pupils at Brunswick North West Primary in Melbourne's north have become ill with the disease in the past fortnight.
Sara Mckenzie with son Wesley, who has chickenpox despite being vaccinated, and daughter June.

Sara Mckenzie with son Wesley, who has chickenpox despite being vaccinated, and daughter June. Photo: Justin McManus

It is understood the illness spread through grade 6, before making its way through the lower levels to grade 2.

The Department of Health was first notified about the chickenpox cases on November 26.

"There are no firm figures on the number of students who have contracted the illness since then, but we've been advised that over the period there has been an absentee rate of about 25 per cent on any given day," a department spokesman said.
The school says it respects 'the rights of every family to make choices about immunisation'.

The school says it respects 'the rights of every family to make choices about immunisation'. Photo: iStockphoto

"Given the time of year, there are a number of other reasons which would lead to a higher than usual absentee rate."

Children who are immunised can still contract chickenpox.

Brunswick North West Primary School has called for parents to be tolerant of opposing views on vaccination, although no school in Victoria can bar a child who is not vaccinated from enrolling.
More than a third of the school's students have contracted chickenpox.

More than a third of the school's students have contracted chickenpox.

The school has a lower immunisation rate than the state and national averages.

In the May newsletter, the school's principal Trevor Bowen said 73.2 per cent of students were immunised, compared with 92 per cent within the local postcode.

In Victoria, the rate is 90.4 per cent, the newsletter says.

The school has previously asked parents to be tolerant of those with differing opinions on immunisation and there was still evidence of tension on Thursday between parents who did and those did not vaccinate their children.

Parent Sara McKenzie vaccinated her son Wesley, who is in grade one, but that didn't stop him getting chickenpox.

She admits she was shocked that the rates of immunisation were so low at the school.

"I think everyone should get vaccinated because it's a matter of public health and community safety," she said. "You don't just vaccinate for your kids, you have to consider the whole community."

Ms McKenzie said she had been told that other schools in Brunswick have similar vaccination rates.

"No matter how angry you get, what are they going to do? You can't make people vaccinate their children," she said.

But some parents were less concerned about the issue. Meaghan Ward has a vaccinated daughter in grade one who was also caught up in the outbreak.

She said she would rather everyone was immunised but didn't believe schools should discriminate against children who weren't.

"To say that the school is actively encouraging non-immunised children, I don't think that's true," she said. "They have to be fair."

Another parent, Rachel Berman, has two sons at the school, including one in grade two who got chickenpox. She didn't know that the vaccination rates at the school were lower than the rest of the state.

"My kids are pretty healthy and it is definitely a parents' choice, but if you can see a pattern ... then that would raise concerns for me," she said.

A previous newsletter aiming to take the heat out of the conflict said there were many areas of school life where a range of opinions were accommodated.

"Staff respect the rights of every family to make choices about immunisation and we will definitely not exclude children who are not fully immunised from our service," the newsletter says.

"We expect all community members to act respectfully and with tolerance when interacting with other parents and carers who may have a differing opinion to their own. This includes an opposing understanding about child immunisation."

Department of Education spokesman Alex Munro said no student could be barred from a school in Victoria on the basis that they were not immunised. However, parents are required to inform the school of their child's immunisation status.

"Parents are required to provide an immunisation status certificate to the school regardless of whether their child is or is not immunised," Mr Munro said.

The state government's "No Jab, No Play" laws come into effect on January 1 next year, but they do not apply to primary or high schools.

Under the policy, pre-schoolers who are not vaccinated will be banned from attending child care or kindergarten.

It follows moves by the federal government to strip family assistance payments from parents who do not immunise their children.

Vaccination rates in Victoria have hovered at about 90 per cent for a number of years, but that number has plateaued, something Health Minister Jill Hennessy wants to address.

"We're significantly concerned about the myth makers who go out encouraging people not to immunise their children," Ms Hennessy said.

"Get your advice from a doctor, not from some quack who's opposed to vaccination based on dodgy science."

Monash Children's Hospital head of infection and immunity Jim Buttery said children who were immunised could still contract chickenpox, but typically would not end up with as many spots.

He said the chickenpox vaccine had an 80 per cent success rate and that if a child still came down with the disease, they would end up with about 25 spots.

However, a child without the vaccine will likely end up with 800 spots.

Chickenpox is highly contagious and anyone who comes down with the condition will typically infect another seven to nine people, Dr Buttery said. For "herd immunity" to kick in, he said, about 90 per cent of children need to be immunised.

With Craig Butt

More information on chickenpox is available via the state government's Better Health Channel website: betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/chickenpox

*Clarification: An earlier version of this report described the school as actively welcoming unvaccinated students. However, we understand the school's newsletter from which this was inferred was a call for tolerance as opposed to an 'active welcome'.
:?
bimboman

Re: 25% of kids get chicken pox at school 'tolerant' of anti

Post by bimboman »

Yeah,mhere we have chicken pox parties so they all get it out the way.
Redsfan

Post by Redsfan »

From what I understand of Melbourne, the area that this school is in is pretty 'hip'.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Redsfan wrote:From what I understand of Melbourne, the area that this school is in is pretty 'hip'.

They should like a party then.
Leicester Mafia

Post by Leicester Mafia »

It's incredible how cavalier some people can be about their kids health. The sheer arrogance to believe that you know better than the mountain of facts piled against you is fascinating in a way
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Leicester Mafia wrote:It's incredible how cavalier some people can be about their kids health. The sheer arrogance to believe that you know better than the mountain of facts piled against you is fascinating in a way

It's chicken pox not small pox.
Leicester Mafia

Post by Leicester Mafia »

bimboman wrote:
Leicester Mafia wrote:It's incredible how cavalier some people can be about their kids health. The sheer arrogance to believe that you know better than the mountain of facts piled against you is fascinating in a way

Yeah i get that, its just a general point and hopefully some of these idiot parents will have learnt their lesson
Sprig

Post by Sprig »

bimboman wrote:

Which is a virus that then lies dormant in the nerves but can re-activate later in life.
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

ODdly enough we don't give the chicken pox vaccine to kids here

I'm just deciding if i should pay the $50 to give it to my 4 year old or not. It's going around her day care and we're travelling in 3 weeks.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Sprig wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Which is a virus that then lies dormant in the nerves but can re-activate later in life.

Which can happen anyway later in life, plus chicken pox infections as an adult are far more serious than in children. It isn't a vaccination given in the UK you know that right ?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

True Blue wrote:ODdly enough we don't give the chicken pox vaccine to kids here

I'm just deciding if i should pay the $50 to give it to my 4 year old or not. It's going around her day care and we're travelling in 3 weeks.

It doesn't last long so get her to catch it quick.
supreme0verlord

Post by supreme0verlord »

Sara Mckenzie with son Wesley, who has chickenpox despite being vaccinated
Errr, wtf?! Maybe the anti vaccers don't like the vaccine because it clearly doesn't work anyway!!
Farva

Post by Farva »

Anti-vaxxers are a blight on the landscape.
With any luck this will trigger many parents to get their child vaccinated.

Chickenpox isnt too bad. I had it as a kid. But its not good either.

And Redsfan is correct, Brunswick is very hipster.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

bimboman wrote:
Sprig wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Which can happen anyway later in life, plus chicken pox infections as an adult are far more serious than in children. It isn't a vaccination given in the UK you know that right ?
I had chicken pox as an adult (a month before my wedding!) despite having something that I was told was chicken pox when I was a kid. Medical advice was mixed - one doctor said that I probably had a similar disease previously but not chicken pox as otherwise I'd have been immune, another said immunity could actually go away if you didn't have a particularly bad case as a kid.

My oldest had it at the same time as me and, while it was nowhere near as bad for him, he does have a few scars from it so we've vaccinated our youngest. We would have vaccinated the oldest too, but he was only 1 at the time and they said we had to wait till he was older.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

supreme0verlord wrote:
Sara Mckenzie with son Wesley, who has chickenpox despite being vaccinated
Errr, wtf?! Maybe the anti vaccers don't like the vaccine because it clearly doesn't work anyway!!
Herd Immunity, innit. Even if the vaccine isn't 100% effective, if 100% of people were vaccinated the 5% (say) who were still susceptible probably would still not catch it.
Johnny Marrmight

Post by Johnny Marrmight »

Give a shit about chicken pox.

Everyone I know has had it.
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

Redsfan wrote:From what I understand of Melbourne, the area that this school is in is pretty 'hip'.
Getting increasingly gentrified. Losing all its good working class/student roots. Full of upper middle class professional wankers who would never vaccinate their darling Persephone because It's a Personal Choice and Vacceine Injury and If Your Child is Vaccinated Then Why Are You Worried?
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Johnny Marrmight wrote:Give a shit about chicken pox.

Everyone you know probably has the clap too, doesn't mean it's desirable.
C69

Post by C69 »

bimboman wrote:
Sprig wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Yes it is, i've had the vaccination.
It is offered to most health workers and it's a nasty infection.
Varicella pneumonia is a killer
Johnny Marrmight

Jay Cee Gee wrote:

Don't be silly.

Honestly, catching chicken pox is far safer than being injected with dementia causing aluminium
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Sprig wrote:
bimboman wrote:

I had chicken pox as an adult (a month before my wedding!) despite having something that I was told was chicken pox when I was a kid. Medical advice was mixed - one doctor said that I probably had a similar disease previously but not chicken pox as otherwise I'd have been immune, another said immunity could actually go away if you didn't have a particularly bad case as a kid.

My oldest had it at the same time as me and, while it was nowhere near as bad for him, he does have a few scars from it so we've vaccinated our youngest. We would have vaccinated the oldest too, but he was only 1 at the time and they said we had to wait till he was older.

Good to know there was a consensus from the medical world..... Blimey. My little one had a couple of goes at it mild then a few months later a bit worse, we didn't even go to the docs second time round just looked after his spots and kept him off school for a week.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

The vaccine is available in Ireland but not part of the regular sequence of vaccines provided free of charge by the local health departments. It costs €100 to get it - spread over two injections separated by about 3 months.
We decided to give it to our 3yo daughter but our 10 month old daughter caught it last week because you have to be older than 1 to get it here. She seems to have got off very lightly though and is over it within a week.

The reason we decided to get it for them is because, while not too serious (in theory), children can be badly affected by it and it can lead to scarring which some people here might scoff at but can lead to issues of low confidence in girls when they hit their teens. They're already bombarded with images of "perfect women" without worrying about visible blemishes and scars that could have been easily preventable via a simple injection when they were younger.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

c69 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Sprig wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Yes it is, i've had the vaccination.
It is offered to most health workers and it's a nasty infection.
Varicella pneumonia is a killer

And how many children die annually from that chubs ?
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Johnny Marrmight wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:

Don't be silly.

Honestly, catching chicken pox is far safer than being injected with dementia causing aluminium
Would anyone actually notice if you got dementia?
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

Are the anti vaxers against all immunisation or just some?
Hate to see Polio, Diptheria and TB make a comeback. :?
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Would anyone actually notice if you got dementia?

Would anyone actually give a flying fcuk?
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

Brumbie_Steve wrote:Are the anti vaxers against all immunisation or just some?
All. Why would you get immunised when you can tie an onion to your foot and swallow some colloidal silver?
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

Dumbledore wrote:
Brumbie_Steve wrote:Are the anti vaxers against all immunisation or just some?
All. Why would you get immunised when you can tie an onion to your foot and swallow some colloidal silver?
As a child there were regular public health scares with kids and deadly diseases. It used to terrify us because it meant a new round of injections for everybody. They used to come to school and do it. Don't recall any conscientious objectors then. No atheist in the trenches and all that...
They should spend sometime in places where these diseases are rampant and kids die in large numbers because they can't afford public vaccination programs.
saffer13

Post by saffer13 »

75% are sorted then. Glass quarter empty types around here clearly.
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

saffer13 wrote:75% are sorted then. Glass quarter empty types around here clearly.
Did you not read the bit about needing 90% rate for herd immunity to kick in?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

It'll take a death in Brunswick to bring these clowns to their senses.

I was hanging out in there a couple of weeks back. Used to be my favourite part of Melbourne.
saffer13

Post by saffer13 »

Brumbie_Steve wrote:
saffer13 wrote:75% are sorted then. Glass quarter empty types around here clearly.
Didn't read the article tbh.
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

saffer13 wrote:
Brumbie_Steve wrote:
Didn't read the article tbh.
:lol:
goose81

Post by goose81 »

Forget chicken pocs that's small fry everyone had it, I got shingles in my teens. That is not a nice experience
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

goose81 wrote:Forget chicken pocs that's small fry everyone had it, I got shingles in my teens. That is not a nice experience
This is a quote from further up the page.
C69

Post by C69 »

Dear fudge
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Shingles can definitely fvck you up. Apparently a severe case can cause so much pain it can give you heart issues (which is even worse since shingles is usually in the elderly) .

My mum got it about a decade ago but hers was mild, it didn't bother her too much.
Johnny Marrmight

My dad had shingles and got big lumps on his face. Stress induced.
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

Shingles is a viral infection that causes a painful rash. Although shingles can occur anywhere on your body, it most often appears as a single stripe of blisters that wraps around either the left or the right side of your torso.

Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus — the same virus that causes chickenpox. After you've had chickenpox, the virus lies inactive in nerve tissue near your spinal cord and brain. Years later, the virus may reactivate as shingles.

While it isn't a life-threatening condition, shingles can be very painful. Vaccines can help reduce the risk of shingles, while early treatment can help shorten a shingles infection and lessen the chance of complications.
From the quacks at the Mayo Clinic.
goose81

Post by goose81 »

Brumbie_Steve wrote:
goose81 wrote:Forget chicken pocs that's small fry everyone had it, I got shingles in my teens. That is not a nice experience
This is a quote from further up the page.
You can only get shingles if you have had chicken pocs. I think its essentially where the chicken pocs virus re activates , I can never get either ever again though once you have it once that's it but for those of you who have had chicken pocs you can get shingles if you come in contact with someone who has chicken pocs I think.

I think I'm spelling it wrong, my bad