iTunes sucks

All things Rugby
DOB

iTunes sucks

Post by DOB »

Any better software/apps out there for loading music from my Macbook to my 6s without going through cunting iTunes?

Oh, and any smug android fanboys who want to chime in with your "get a Samsung" bollocks can suck an exhaust pipe.
blackblackblack

Re: iTunes sucks

Post by blackblackblack »

It is a pain in the bung, I want something I can use to store my music on my PC that will sync to my iPod classic as well.
Tim.

Post by Tim. »

MediaMonkey.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

I seriously have no issues between a Mac Pro/iTunes/iPhone. Never have.

Just bung the music you want in a playlist called iPhone and sync your phone to that playlist.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

blackblackblack wrote:It is a pain in the bung, I want something I can use to store my music on my PC that will sync to my iPod classic as well.
I use this program called iTunes and have 2 classics synced with different content.
blackblackblack

mr bungle wrote:
blackblackblack wrote:It is a pain in the bung, I want something I can use to store my music on my PC that will sync to my iPod classic as well.
I use this program called iTunes and have 2 classics synced with different content.
And every second day when the fucker wants to update itself it reloads the entire library and all the duplicates of which in 90+Gb of music there are many. You must be super awesome bro.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Yep, I'm the only user in the world having zero difficulty, that's why so many people happily use it.

As easy as it is to use I guess it depends on your capability. My Dad for example is lost with it. They're still making CDs :thumbup:

There is a setting to show duplicates, but I don't bother as my 150GB of music has very few of them. I do run a super clean database though. I have seen iPods with 7 variants of spelling of Smashing Pumkins. Does my f**king head in.

There are also never as many updates as people cry about nor have I ever encountered the clusterfuck you have on your hands.
blackblackblack

Well done you.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Enough of the pleasantries, I've googled your issue and can't find any similar issues.

Have you removed duplicates from your iTunes library (not folder/database) and yet they return with an unwanted refresh?
DOB

Post by DOB »

mr bungle wrote:I seriously have no issues between a Mac Pro/iTunes/iPhone. Never have.

Just bung the music you want in a playlist called iPhone and sync your phone to that playlist.
I just bought a 6s.

When I connected my 6s to my Macbook, it told me "this iPhone can't work with this iTunes. You need newer iTunes."

I checked for updates to iTunes. iTunes said "You have the newest version of iTunes."

I checked up on this on the Mac forums. Apparently since I'm still running an old iOS (Lion), I can't update iTunes any more without updating my whole iOS (to El Capitan).

Now, the update to El Cap is free, which is admirable, but I'm perfectly happy with how my Macbook is running as is, and don't see why I should have to update to the "latest and greatest", involving backing up my whole harddrive, and learning all the little intricacies of a new OS all over again, just for the facility to load some fucking music onto my fucking phone. It's a pretty basic function of the phone/computer interface, and I really can't see why it's suddenly disabled in the new version. I'm also concerned that when Apple does have a paid upgrade to their OS, that I will actually have to pay just for the facility to load some fucking music onto my fucking phone.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

That's a ballache, but Lion is a ways back as an OS and your 6S is running the latest iOS 9. I don't have the slightest idea about the reasons why but they're obviously not compatible.

I'm currently running Mavericks but haven't yet bothered with El Capitain.

I'd look online for the closest update that your comp can handle adequately. What are you running spec and age wise?
Brian9848

Post by Brian9848 »

Running a Macbook Pro on El Capitain with an iPhone myself The upgrade is relatively painless, and you shouldn't encounter any problems. There are plenty of decent, usable new features but everything will run and appear the same for the most part and there will be no acclimatisation period although your machine will probably run a little slow for about 12-18 hrs while Spotlight re-indexes everything.

iTunes will still be a clusterfuck and Apple Music an abomination of non-intuitive software, but synching your iPhone with iTunes is much much faster.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

El Capitan is great, seamless update for me on a 5yr old MacBook pro, no issues with iTunes or the 6 :thumbup:

I run a back up every week anyway, so it's always updated.
blackblackblack

mr bungle wrote:Enough of the pleasantries, I've googled your issue and can't find any similar issues.

Have you removed duplicates from your iTunes library (not folder/database) and yet they return with an unwanted refresh?
Yeah pretty much, I need to sort it out but can't be arsed really. If there's a setting I don't know of in the install update protocol that will allow the software to only update items not already present that'd be great, but I don't seem to be able to find it. I'll give media Monkey a whirl and see how it goes. It seems to have loaded everything up ok so far, haven't introduced the iPod as yet.
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

Insane_Homer

Post by Insane_Homer »

All depends on how invested you are in iTunes.

Once they've got a significant investment from you, they've got you by the balls. Thankfully I never fell into the trap. In the early days I still bought CDs and rippled them myself, that way always maintaining control of the rights.

Now I use Google Play Music for me, £14.99 pm for the family (up to 6 users) (9.99 for single)- unlimited streaming (with download to device for offline use) :thumbup: So it works on my Son's iPhone, my daughters iPod, my Nexus 5, the 2 iPads, my wife's Nexus 5 and the Nexus 10. plus I can play it all through a browser on any PC too, no software installation required and we can all maintain our own playlists and preferences so my daughter's Katy Perry obsession doesn't pollute my playlists. And anything bought from Google Play is DRM free, so you can download and use on any platform.
toweliechaos

Post by toweliechaos »

Tim. wrote:MediaMonkey.
What this man said.

iTunes is a honking pile of shite and MM is probably the best alternative, until such time as Winamp can be bothered to produce a Mac version that has more than a tenth of the Windows version's functionality.
DOB

Post by DOB »

toweliechaos wrote:
What this man said.

iTunes is a honking pile of shite and MM is probably the best alternative, until such time as Winamp can be bothered to produce a Mac version that has more than a tenth of the Windows version's functionality.
Does MM load music onto the phone and then you just play through the regular music player app on the phone?
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Insane_Homer wrote:All depends on how invested you are in iTunes.

Once they've got a significant investment from you, they've got you by the balls. Thankfully I never fell into the trap. In the early days I still bought CDs and rippled them myself, that way always maintaining control of the rights.

Now I use Google Play Music for me, £14.99 pm for the family (up to 6 users) (9.99 for single)- unlimited streaming (with download to device for offline use) :thumbup: So it works on my Son's iPhone, my daughters iPod, my Nexus 5, the 2 iPads, my wife's Nexus 5 and the Nexus 10. plus I can play it all through a browser on any PC too, no software installation required and we can all maintain our own playlists and preferences so my daughter's Katy Perry obsession doesn't pollute my playlists. And anything bought from Google Play is DRM free, so you can download and use on any platform.
You lost me at 'rippled'. What a load of garbage. Never heard of family sharing? Ffs :roll:
Tim.

Post by Tim. »

DOB wrote:
toweliechaos wrote:
What this man said.

Does MM load music onto the phone and then you just play through the regular music player app on the phone?
Yes. El Cap is much better and stable than Lion; MM is much better than iTunes.
SASP

Post by SASP »

DOB wrote:
mr bungle wrote:I seriously have no issues between a Mac Pro/iTunes/iPhone. Never have.

I just bought a 6s.

When I connected my 6s to my Macbook, it told me "this iPhone can't work with this iTunes. You need newer iTunes."

I checked for updates to iTunes. iTunes said "You have the newest version of iTunes."

I checked up on this on the Mac forums. Apparently since I'm still running an old iOS (Lion), I can't update iTunes any more without updating my whole iOS (to El Capitan).

Now, the update to El Cap is free, which is admirable, but I'm perfectly happy with how my Macbook is running as is, and don't see why I should have to update to the "latest and greatest", involving backing up my whole harddrive, and learning all the little intricacies of a new OS all over again, just for the facility to load some fucking music onto my fucking phone. It's a pretty basic function of the phone/computer interface, and I really can't see why it's suddenly disabled in the new version. I'm also concerned that when Apple does have a paid upgrade to their OS, that I will actually have to pay just for the facility to load some fucking music onto my fucking phone.
One of the many reasons people dont like apple is for what you're experiencing now, its like you paid all that money but have no control over it, you have to do what they want you to do and use what they want you to use or else you end up like this.

I prefer just to avoid apple altogether.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Tim. wrote:
DOB wrote:
toweliechaos wrote:
What this man said.

Id say it'd be hard to come up with a worse media software than iTunes, bar something that was actively designed to fcuk up your computer (and I'm not discounting the possibility that was Jobs' intent all along). I've yet to find a single redeeming feature to it and would never turn it on if I didn't have an iPhone.
Tim.

Post by Tim. »

DOB wrote:
Tim. wrote:
DOB wrote:
toweliechaos wrote:
What this man said.

Id say it'd be hard to come up with a worse media software than iTunes, bar something that was actively designed to fcuk up your computer (and I'm not discounting the possibility that was Jobs' intent all along). I've yet to find a single redeeming feature to it and would never turn it on if I didn't have an iPhone.
Thing with iTunes is if you 'let go' and let it handle everything it works, and works well. It's a complete shift in mind-set. It will literally move files around your computer, which is bizarre.

On the other hand it's easy.

If you like doing any degree of file management it's a complete pain in the hole. It essentially depends whether you're prepared to go "all in" Apple-wise.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

:lol: As I said above, massive library & never had a problem.

Not denying some do but it's like they think everyone is having a hard time.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Tim wrote:.

Thing with iTunes is if you 'let go' and let it handle everything it works, and works well. It's a complete shift in mind-set. It will literally move files around your computer, which is bizarre.

If you like doing any degree of file management it's a complete pain in the hole. It essentially depends whether you're prepared to go "all in" Apple-wise.
I'm not asking it to do much; I literally use it to save new CDs onto my hard drive and drag and drop music files onto my phone. Apple have managed to make a process as simple as that counter intuitive, but worse, also rigged it as the "only" way to do it with their products. If they allowed simple drag and drop from a window to the phone I'd say 90% of users would never actually open iTunes again.
toweliechaos

Post by toweliechaos »

DOB wrote:
Tim wrote:.

I'm not asking it to do much; I literally use it to save new CDs onto my hard drive and drag and drop music files onto my phone. Apple have managed to make a process as simple as that counter intuitive, but worse, also rigged it as the "only" way to do it with their products. If they allowed simple drag and drop from a window to the phone I'd say 90% of users would never actually open iTunes again.
There is never any point trying to discuss technology with Applelytes. You'll get more change from IS about capitalism and satanism. They are a cult and their mantra is "it just works", which is palpably bollocks but doesn't stop them peddling the line.

I have never had as much hardship using computers as the last two months of using a mac with OS X. Now have it running W10 and all is right with the world again.

iTunes isn't even remotely fit to lace the boots of Winamp and they have a lot less to spend on their product...
Tim.

Post by Tim. »

toweliechaos wrote: There is never any point trying to discuss technology with Applelytes. You'll get more change from IS about capitalism and satanism. They are a cult and their mantra is "it just works", which is palpably bollocks but doesn't stop them peddling the line.

I have never had as much hardship using computers as the last two months of using a mac with OS X. Now have it running W10 and all is right with the world again.

iTunes isn't even remotely fit to lace the boots of Winamp and they have a lot less to spend on their product...
The fact I recommended a completely different (imo better) product than iTunes up-thread appears totally lost on you. :?
Fangle

Post by Fangle »

DOB wrote: I'm not asking it to do much; I literally use it to save new CDs onto my hard drive and drag and drop music files onto my phone. Apple have managed to make a process as simple as that counter intuitive, but worse, also rigged it as the "only" way to do it with their products. If they allowed simple drag and drop from a window to the phone I'd say 90% of users would never actually open iTunes again.
This is exactly what I want to do. After googling a lot I found that there was a 'Manual sync' setting in iTunes that allows you to get a lot closer to that. But it still is unwieldy.

Mr bungle works hard to tell us that it is the greatest bit of software written, but the fact is that it is really not user friendly otherwise we wouldn't have so many people here moaning about it.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

iTunes is clunky software, I really don't like it. I assume they'll be pushing onto streaming soon so that'll take a bit of getting used to. I was never as mad about Spotify as the rest of the world apparently is. Pet hate of mine for a long time along with the dreaded Adobe Acrobat Reader which feels the need to do an update about twice daily.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

DOB wrote:
Tim. wrote:
DOB wrote:
toweliechaos wrote:
What this man said.

In fairness, it works well with apple tv.
Insane_Homer

Post by Insane_Homer »

mr bungle wrote:
Insane_Homer wrote:All depends on how invested you are in iTunes.

You lost me at 'rippled'. What a load of garbage. Never heard of family sharing? Ffs :roll:
Jesus, defensive much? Typical fanboi twat response.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Duff Paddy wrote:iTunes is clunky software, I really don't like it. I assume they'll be pushing onto streaming soon so that'll take a bit of getting used to. I was never as mad about Spotify as the rest of the world apparently is. Pet hate of mine for a long time along with the dreaded Adobe Acrobat Reader which feels the need to do an update about twice daily.
Have you been living under a rock?
armchairfan

Post by armchairfan »

Media monkey for me too. Got sick and tired of cleaning up after iTunes spattered my collection which buggered up my squeezebox server.
Upgraded to mediamonkey gold and can rip as flac, means I can organise my music how I want and tag it how I want not how Apple want.
Torquemada 1420

Post by Torquemada 1420 »

No sh*t.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Apple stuff is for people who are quite rich but very thick.
Torquemada 1420

Post by Torquemada 1420 »

RodneyRegis wrote:Apple stuff is for people who are quite rich but very thick.
And fashion conscious.

Mediamonkey for me.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

RodneyRegis wrote:Apple stuff is for people who are quite rich but very thick.
Ha not everyone is a tech geek. I've been on android, it's a little looser and you can access some apps that Apple won't allow you but it just is not as user friendly.

I've also found that generally Apple works longer. Apple phones are built better than say Samsung ones (which were all the rage in comparison to iPhones a couple of years back). I've no idea what those 1+ phones are like that seem to be the rage now but Apple are consistently good and you know what you're getting.

I didn't realise it was still cool to hate on iPhones.
toweliechaos

Post by toweliechaos »

Tim. wrote:The fact I recommended a completely different (imo better) product than iTunes up-thread appears totally lost on you. :?
I was referring to applelytes in general, not your comment.

Typical applelyte preciousness ;)
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

I'm always scared I'll delete everything...now I've uploaded all the pictures from the wife's phone they're mixed in with mine. Just a mess :(
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

The sneering condescension from Apple haters is in no way related to the assumed fanboi mentality they unite to hate, of course...

just set up manual sync in the phone settings once iTunes opens and shift what you want there, in that window. All you do is tick the box.

The frequency that this topic repeats at does nothing to resolve the simple, underlying issue... there are two dominant OS's in the market and some people find one more appealing than the other.

Go figure.

I'm just relieved to learn that Microsoft isn't an evil corporation trying to steal all my information the way Apple is.