Out
40%

Total votes: 415

TranceNRG

Re: OFFICIAL EU/UK referendum thread

Post by TranceNRG »

terryfinch wrote:
openclashXX wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:So, May will invoke article 50 and call a general election then?
Corbyn is too good a Get Out of Jail Free card to use this early
The guy is a national embarrassment. All he could say after May spoke today was 'she should have made the speech in Parliament.' What a twat.
To be fair it was a good speech and nothing much in the content you could criticise if you are willing to respect the result of the referendum.
openclashXX

Post by openclashXX »

TranceNRG wrote:
openclashXX wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:I'm sure the Eastern Europeans won't like the restrictions to free movement as they won't be able to send all their unskilled workers here and send money back home. Ironically Eastern Europeans are the most xenophobic nations in Europe but they don't like to be at the receiving end.
I'm sure it'll be the Eastern Europeans and the 2004 countries as a bloc that'll be pushing hardest for a punitive trade deal with the UK
I doubt it because they'll lose the most if the UK walk away telling EU to get lost - no EU contributions (and guess who's benefiting from them) plus poorer EU economy.
they have f*ck all to sell to us and benefit most from the free movement of labour to the UK - they'll want to set an example to any other rich EU states thinking about closing themselves off
sewa

Post by sewa »

Nick Clegg, the former Lib Dem leader and former deputy prime minister, has accused Theresa May of turning her party into “Ukip-lite”. He said:

On the same day that the leader of the world’s largest communist party publicly lectures the world on the virtues of free trade, Theresa May has finally turned her back on Margaret Thatcher’s greatest economic achievement, the world’s largest borderless single market. It’s an astonishing mutation from Conservative into Ukip-light.

By siding with Donald Trump and against Angela Merkel, Theresa May has made it inevitable that the rest of the EU will react by safeguarding the integrity of the EU itself. Throwing the gauntlet down against the rest of Europe, the PM is virtually guaranteeing that acrimony rather than compromise will prevail.

The prime minister has pledged to act in the interests of the young and future generations. Yet she has now set herself on a course which emphatically rejects what the overwhelming majority of young voters said they wanted in the Brexit referendum. Claiming to represent the interests of the young whilst pursuing a hard Brexit which will damage their interests will only deepen the generational divide highlighted by the Brexit referendum. This speech is a kick in the teeth for the youth of Britain.
I like haggis

Post by I like haggis »

TranceNRG wrote:
terryfinch wrote:
openclashXX wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:So, May will invoke article 50 and call a general election then?
Corbyn is too good a Get Out of Jail Free card to use this early
The guy is a national embarrassment. All he could say after May spoke today was 'she should have made the speech in Parliament.' What a twat.
To be fair it was a good speech and nothing much in the content you could criticise if you are willing to respect the result of the referendum.
All he could really say is we have to stay in the single market. May has outmanoeuvred Labour on Brexit so far to be fair, it was a very impressive speech today.
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

openclashXX wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
openclashXX wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:I'm sure the Eastern Europeans won't like the restrictions to free movement as they won't be able to send all their unskilled workers here and send money back home. Ironically Eastern Europeans are the most xenophobic nations in Europe but they don't like to be at the receiving end.
I'm sure it'll be the Eastern Europeans and the 2004 countries as a bloc that'll be pushing hardest for a punitive trade deal with the UK
I doubt it because they'll lose the most if the UK walk away telling EU to get lost - no EU contributions (and guess who's benefiting from them) plus poorer EU economy.
they have f*ck all to sell to us and benefit most from the free movement of labour to the UK - they'll want to set an example to any other rich EU states thinking about closing themselves off
Free movement will end regardless. Now they can agree on a free trade deal and UK will continue to make contribution to EU budget (Eastern Europeans massively benefit from them) and also the EU economies will continue relatively unharmed. However if UK walk way without a trade deal, European countries lose all of these.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Over the next two years I expect migration from eastern europe to the UK to hit absolutely ridiculous levels. We will struggle to cope with the influx.
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

TranceNRG wrote:
openclashXX wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
openclashXX wrote:
Free movement will end regardless. Now they can agree on a free trade deal and UK will continue to make contribution to EU budget (Eastern Europeans massively benefit from them) and also the EU economies will continue relatively unharmed. However if UK walk way without a trade deal, European countries lose all of these.
If you are interested in free movement, then to be honest you have a rusty stable door lock, and the horse that was in there has been probably eaten in a burger years ago
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

You really are a sociopath.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

For our non-UK friends on this thread - are you happy to remain in an EU that is such a mess and so dominated by Germany's interests. The direction appears to remain 'ever closer union'. Does that sit comfortably with you?
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

Anonymous. wrote:
Over the next two years I expect migration from eastern europe to the UK to hit absolutely ridiculous levels. We will struggle to cope with the influx.
Yep, I've seen this topic discussed in media. I think the government will have to say only the EU citizens that came to the UK before x date (probably wise to use the referendum date) will be guaranteed to stay.
openclashXX

Post by openclashXX »

now that the single market issue is put to bed, the City response (who have been the most vocal supporters of single market access) should be interesting

I imagine the so-called Brexit contingency plans will be getting reopened

this is an interesting one to share from JPM:
Spoiler: show

La soule

Post by La soule »

terryfinch wrote:For our non-UK friends on this thread - are you happy to remain in an EU that is such a mess and so dominated by Germany's interests. The direction appears to remain 'ever closer union'. Does that sit comfortably with you?
Yes.

Any other question I can help you with?????
sewa

Post by sewa »

terryfinch wrote:For our non-UK friends on this thread - are you happy to remain in an EU that is such a mess and so dominated by Germany's interests. The direction appears to remain 'ever closer union'. Does that sit comfortably with you?
Yes, there is absolutely no appetite in Ireland for an exit. We don't however consider it a mess.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

La soule wrote:
Yes.

Do you have any testicles?
NickC

Post by NickC »

La soule wrote:
Yes.

Is German or French the more dominant language??
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

sewa wrote:
Yes, there is absolutely no appetite in Ireland for an exit. We don't however consider it a mess.
For a proud nation that threw off the yoke of U.K. Oppression, only to replace it with an even more remote German oppression is sad to see.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

:lol:
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

terryfinch wrote:
sewa wrote:
For a proud nation that threw off the yoke of U.K. Oppression, only to replace it with an even more remote German oppression is sad to see.
Ah that old chesnut.......it's not really the case but you continue to think as you like, it's your perogative.
clementinfrance

Post by clementinfrance »

For our UK friends on this thread - are you happy to remain in a deeply divided UK that is such a mess and so dominated by the interests of the wealthy. The direction appears to be 'less and less union'. Does that sit comfortably with you?
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

clementinfrance wrote:
For our UK friends on this thread - are you happy to remain in a deeply divided UK that is such a mess and so dominated by the interests of the wealthy. The direction appears to be 'less and less union'. Does that sit comfortably with you?
:lol: :thumbup:
sewa

Post by sewa »

terryfinch wrote:
sewa wrote:
Not a bad effort :thumbup: I can assure you we Irish are enjoying the benefits of Europe, better than being run by our own lot of morons (FF in particular). As I travel around Europe I meet Irish people studying, learning different languages, travelling, having fun. The idea we'd need a visa to travel around here is abhorrent. Enjoy the queueing in the airports then explaining to some jobsworth in a booth what your business is and where you are staying
La soule

Post by La soule »

terryfinch wrote:
La soule wrote:
Yes.

I don't leave under the false illusion that my national flag will save me.

Anything else?
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

clementinfrance wrote:
To be honest, there appears to be surprisingly strong consensus on what May said today across the country - remainers and leavers.
MorseCode

Post by MorseCode »

terryfinch wrote:
sewa wrote:
There's no potato shortages with the Germans running the show
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

La soule wrote:
terryfinch wrote:
La soule wrote:
Yes.

Anything else?
I'll take that as a 'no'.
La soule

Post by La soule »

NickC wrote:
La soule wrote:
Yes.

France is more widely spoken in the world, mainly due to having had colonies in the past.

Anything else?
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

MorseCode wrote:
terryfinch wrote:
sewa wrote:
There's no potato shortages with the Germans running the show
:lol:
La soule

Post by La soule »

terryfinch wrote:
La soule wrote:
terryfinch wrote:
La soule wrote:
Yes.

Anything else?
I'll take that as a 'no'.
Good for you.

Good luck in the future :thumbup:
haunch

Post by haunch »

A great day. Wonder if this will satisfy those that wanted to see a plan. :)
Last edited by haunch on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
echo

Post by echo »

haunch wrote:A great day. Wonder if this will satisfy those that wanted to see plan. :)

Awesome plan. Good to see she holds all the cards. Image
croyals

Post by croyals »

sewa wrote:
terryfinch wrote:
sewa wrote:
Not a bad effort :thumbup: I can assure you we Irish are enjoying the benefits of Europe, better than being run by our own lot of morons (FF in particular). As I travel around Europe I meet Irish people studying, learning different languages, travelling, having fun. The idea we'd need a visa to travel around here is abhorrent. Enjoy the queueing in the airports then explaining to some jobsworth in a booth what your business is and where you are staying
Does queuing at the airport really bother you that much???
openclashXX

Post by openclashXX »

make-or-break for Sturgeon, she made single market access the red line for calling Indyref2, if she backs down now after May explicitly stated no single market :lol:
croyals

Post by croyals »

Sturgeon exposed as being as full of it as the rest of them. I await with bated breath the SNP's spin on this.
NickC

Post by NickC »

La soule wrote:
NickC wrote:
La soule wrote:
Yes.

France is more widely spoken in the world, mainly due to having had colonies in the past.

Anything else?
How long do you think this will last for?

No other questions.
Leinster in London

Post by Leinster in London »

Excuse me sir. Please open your bag, we want to carry out a search. Just routine sir. If you do have more than 1 litre of alcohol though you should declare it now otherwise you shall be committing a criminal offence.
DAC2016

Post by DAC2016 »

What on earth happens if the EU breaks up before the UK leaves?
Last edited by DAC2016 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sewa

Post by sewa »

croyals wrote:
sewa wrote:
I absolutely hate queueing up. That and people who stand on the travellators blocking the way
openclashXX

Post by openclashXX »

Sturgeon's response, bit more forcefully worded than Corbyn's but still equally weak, note no mention of Indyref2

Leinster in London

Post by Leinster in London »

DAC2016 wrote:What on earth happens in the EU breaks up before the UK leaves?
The walls go up, just like the one that is being arranged around the entry points into the EU from the UK.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

sewa wrote:
croyals wrote:
sewa wrote:
I absolutely hate queueing up. That and people who stand on the travellators blocking the way

There will still be visa free travel with EU. Just restrictions on who can work and live permanently.