In
60%
Out
40%

Total votes: 415

theo

Re: OFFICIAL EU/UK referendum thread

Post by theo »

If you read the article you will see that no jobs are leaving London. These are 50 new positions.
sewa

Post by sewa »

Brazil wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
theo wrote:
Gospel wrote:
theo wrote:I expect the UK will continue to be governed by these standards and therefore will have the ability to take any disputes up with the overarching governing body the ECJ.
Only for EU exports which I think I am right in saying amounts to about 10% of UK GDP. We can then pick or choose how we want to regulate for our internal market whilst obviously meeting various standards for other trading partners.
But how much of our export market is to the EU? That's kind of the key point as you don't want that tap of income to run dry and to keep that tap running we will need to comply. And ultimately, as we already comply, it should be a smooth process.

But but but brexiters tell us they left to slash Brussels red tape.

Are you now telling us that you'll get all the red tape and no say in drafting it? #projectfear
Yeah, but that only applies to the exports to Brussels. Nowhere else in the world places standards on products, so they can be completely substandard, particularly the stuff we sell internally. It'll be a golden age for British entrepreneurship and production.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

bimboman wrote:
camroc1 wrote:And Legal and General likely to move Euro business to Dublin, post Brexit.

http://www.independent.ie/business/brex ... 57199.html

I've heard as many as 50'staff too.
Really ??.....I heard 700, within 18 months.
DAC2016

Post by DAC2016 »

theo wrote:If you read the article you will see that no jobs are leaving London. These are 50 new positions.
Is the journal the Daily Mail of ireland?
La soule

Post by La soule »

http://www.lemonde.fr/attentat-de-manch ... 32575.html

Macron meets May. Lots of mention of Europe from him.
DAC2016

Post by DAC2016 »

I like his sideboards.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

DAC2016 wrote:I like his sideboards.
He is very dapper
La soule

Post by La soule »

Sideboard?
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

La soule wrote:Sideboard?
It's an item of furniture.

I think DAC means "sideburns" which is facial hair extending almost to the chin.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Rinkals wrote:
La soule wrote:Sideboard?
It's an item of furniture.

I think DAC means "sideburns" which is facial hair extending almost to the chin.
No, the terms are both correct although sideburns is more common these days.
DAC2016

Post by DAC2016 »

Yeah, sideboards maybe a military thing now I come to think of it.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Has Turkey Joined?‏ @HasTurkeyJoined 1h1 hour ago

Congratulations to Turkey's application to join the EU, which is 11,000 days old today!
0 replies 4 retweets 3 likes
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

My dad used to call them sideboards, and bushy ones 'buggery grips' :)

I see Merkel is talking tough, the implication being she doesn't need the yanks any longer? Are we likely to see a big drawdown in US forces in Europe or them relocated to turkey/Italy?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

The Sun God wrote:
bimboman wrote:
camroc1 wrote:And Legal and General likely to move Euro business to Dublin, post Brexit.

Really, ? What building they taken ?
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

bimboman wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
bimboman wrote:

There are major redevelopments being done in the docklands beside where I live. JP Morgan have bought one development already. There are 6 big developments in progress that I have seen.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

DragsterDriver wrote:My dad used to call them sideboards, and bushy ones 'buggery grips' :)

I see Merkel is talking tough, the implication being she doesn't need the yanks any longer? Are we likely to see a big drawdown in US forces in Europe or them relocated to turkey/Italy?
Assume you mean this?

Hard to know. While Trump didn't affirm article 5 publicly, McMaster said they did and apparently to admit Montenegro they would have had to reaffirm the treaties anyway.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

iarmhiman wrote:
bimboman wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
bimboman wrote:

There are major redevelopments being done in the docklands beside where I live. JP Morgan have bought one development already. There are 6 big developments in progress that I have seen.

Great , which one has legal and general bought ?
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

bimboman wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
bimboman wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Great , which one has legal and general bought ?
no idea. didn't even know who they were until cammy's post
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Maybe legal and general will become big in Ireland too.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

paddyor wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:My dad used to call them sideboards, and bushy ones 'buggery grips' :)

Assume you mean this?

Hard to know. While bubblefart didn't affirm article 5 publicly, McMaster said they did and apparently to admit Montenegro they would have had to reaffirm the treaties anyway.
Yeah I'm in Berlin and it's headline news- the locals I've spoken to would rather side with us and the USA than the Europeans which surprised me. Have the Europeans got the military power to cut the yanks loose?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

DragsterDriver wrote:
paddyor wrote:

Assume you mean this?

Hard to know. While bubblefart didn't affirm article 5 publicly, McMaster said they did and apparently to admit Montenegro they would have had to reaffirm the treaties anyway.
Yeah I'm in Berlin and it's headline news- the locals I've spoken to would rather side with us and the USA than the Europeans which surprised me. Have the Europeans got the military power to cut the yanks loose?

Not if Putin gets nasty.
Andalu

Post by Andalu »

Ironically isn't this Trumps whole schtick? That the Europeans need to pay their own way and not rely on the US?

Good luck with that. :uhoh:
dr dre2

Post by dr dre2 »

bimboman wrote:Maybe legal and general will become big in Ireland too.
Most of their business is either UK or US based, it follows no logic at all to decant to Dublin in great numbers.

All the talk is a bit meh, "part of its investment management business" "The move will not impact staff in other locations".

The same with AVIVA, Prudential, Standard Life. All talking about turning existing concerns in to subsidiaries. Others are talking about opening small new offices. It's all very brass plate+.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

bimboman wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
paddyor wrote:

Assume you mean this?

Not if Putin gets nasty.
Yet with troop reductions the yanks have been spending on upgrading the runways and infrastructure over here? All mixed messages.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Ah we're back to this again. Great.

Where's DAC to scare us about Russia invading western Europe?
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

bimboman wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
bimboman wrote:

No shortage of office space Bimbo.

3.1 m sq. ft. under construction in Dublin as of y/e 2016, with as much again having planning consent.

http://www.jll.ie/ireland/en-ie/Researc ... d6178406c1
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

There is a shortage.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

bimboman wrote:There is a shortage.
If you say so.

Latest news is that Northern Trust is moving its EU subsidiary to Limerick.
SamShark

Post by SamShark »

Not sure what to be more worried about: Nuclear war/invasion from the east, or a possible shortage of office space in Dublin.
Andalu

Post by Andalu »

SamShark wrote:Not sure what to be more worried about: Nuclear war/invasion from the east, or a possible shortage of office space in Dublin.
:lol:

That sums up this thread quite well.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

camroc1 wrote:
bimboman wrote:There is a shortage.
If you say so.

Latest news is that Northern Trust is moving its EU subsidiary to Limerick.

They do move to their own beat.
Crash_12

Post by Crash_12 »

SamShark wrote:Not sure what to be more worried about: Nuclear war/invasion from the east, or a possible shortage of office space in Dublin.
Thanks for flagging this to me btw, tres amusant.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

World leader makes moronic populist statement about ending historic alliances, it must be Trump, oh wait...

Turns out Merkel doesn't like it much being told to pay a bill, funny that.
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

Pretty rich coming from Merkel. The German defence spending is paltry.

God she's a terrible leader. How does she keep getting elected. Truly bizarre.
pigsy

Post by pigsy »

True Blue wrote:Pretty rich coming from Merkel. The German defence spending is paltry.

She's in Germany talking to a German audience before a German election. She's re-aligning the EU after Brexit to restore the French/German model. Trump is toxic in Germany, as is the idea of Brexit. Its a no brainer that she plays to this.

Merkel is more popular outside Germany than inside. The reason she does so well is quite often she seems to be the only adult in the room. One of few who has mastery of the big picture at the same time as willing to get stuck into detail.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Oh dear
Lasse Boehm‏Verified account @BoehmLasse

#Heathrow chaos so bad the Daily Mail is advising travellers how to claim compensation based on #EU law and ECJ rulings.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

DragsterDriver wrote:
paddyor wrote:

Assume you mean this?

According to this, some of it is just "clever" politicing.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/kaffeekl ... ng-germany

IMO, the yanks wouldn't just abandon an ally like this (and neither would the UK for that matter). There's always been the danger that the Germans would wander away from NATO apparently (post cold war), Trump as pushed the domino.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

pigsy wrote:
True Blue wrote:Pretty rich coming from Merkel. The German defence spending is paltry.

She's in Germany talking to a German audience before a German election. She's re-aligning the EU after Brexit to restore the French/German model. bubblefart is toxic in Germany, as is the idea of Brexit. Its a no brainer that she plays to this.

Merkel is more popular outside Germany than inside. The reason she does so well is quite often she seems to be the only adult in the room. One of few who has mastery of the big picture at the same time as willing to get stuck into detail.
Having won the last 2 German state elections and being on course to win a record successive chancelorship......she seems popular.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

dr dre2 wrote:
bimboman wrote:Maybe legal and general will become big in Ireland too.
Most of their business is either UK or US based, it follows no logic at all to decant to Dublin in great numbers.

All the talk is a bit meh, "part of its investment management business" "The move will not impact staff in other locations".

The same with AVIVA, Prudential, Standard Life. All talking about turning existing concerns in to subsidiaries. Others are talking about opening small new offices. It's all very brass plate+.
You're talking about Business thats US and EU directed...which we are quite good at. Oh and FYI 700 jobs is as far as Brass plate as you can get.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Personally, the latter.