Total votes: 415

NickC

Re: OFFICIAL EU/UK referendum thread

Post by NickC »

sewa wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
S Club wrote:
I like haggis wrote:https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/10 ... 67681?s=19

David Davis's PA has decided sick children are now the enemy. What a top guy!
It's not a good look anyway, but to be fair, he was referring to the step father, not the sick child (in case that wasn't obvious).
Right, but is being a dick to the step father of a sick child a good idea anyway? I don't get why that's the defence

I agree, it's a bad look however you cut it. The lack of political judgement is just amazing.
Its so bad even the three stooges Nick, ZZZZ and Bimbo can't be arsed trying to defend it. Actually now that I consider it did Trance get banned or just disappear up his own arsehole?
I'll bite sewa, I'm bored.

It is incredibly poor form all round. DD's aide is a cock of the highest order and gets no defence from me. The kid's dad is also very naive in using an ill child for a political purpose. I hope the kid makes a full recover and lives a full and happy life.

[edited and apologise for unnecessary name calling]
Last edited by NickC on Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

If May had any balls (sic) she'd have issued the challenge herself. She never has had, even before Brexit.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

shereblue wrote:If May had any balls (sic) she'd have issued the challenge herself. She never has had, even before Brexit.
What's the procedure there? I'm not sure that's possible any more.

Edit:
@bbclaurak
48 letter threshold has NOT been reached yet I m told - for now
Last edited by Rugby2023 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

If May had any balls (sic) she'd have issued the challenge herself. She never has had, even before Brexit.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Oh my, Gove now saying that Ministers didn't understand the NI Backstop they signed last December. That's worse than "the dog ate my homework" so far as excuses go.

Ministers including environment secretary Michael Gove claim now that they did not fully understand the agreement between the EU and UK signed last December, promising no return of a hard border in Ireland.
https://www.ft.com/content/c4f357dc-d5f ... d6f82e62f8

So that's it then. The UK can now renege on agreements it signed, because it did not fully understand them ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck with that when you go looking for trade deals.
Last edited by camroc1 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

camroc1 wrote:So that's it then. The UKcan now renege on agreements it signed, because it did not fully understand them! Good luck with that when you go looking for trade deals.
The first page of that "agreement" literally says "nothing is agreed" - at the EU's insistence.
Last edited by Rugby2023 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
La soule

Post by La soule »

camroc1 wrote:Oh my, Gove now saying that Ministers didn't understand the NI Backstopm they signed last December. That's worse than "the dog ate my homework" so far as excuses go.

Ministers including environment secretary Michael Gove claim now that they did not fully understand the agreement between the EU and UK signed last December, promising no return of a hard border in Ireland.
https://www.ft.com/content/c4f357dc-d5f ... d6f82e62f8

So that's it then. The UKcan now renege on agreements it signed, because it did not fully understand them ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck with that when you go looking for trade deals.
Can you please share the content of that article?

This would be quite gobsmacking and would bring incompetence to a level never seen before.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Rugby2023 wrote:Rumours this morning that the 48 letters are in.
That's enough to get the 'no confidence' motion up and running but do her enemies have enough support in the Parliamentary party to topple her ?
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

The Sun God wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:Rumours this morning that the 48 letters are in.
That's enough to get the 'no confidence' motion up and running but do her enemies have enough support in the Parliamentary party to topple her ?
Who knows. If they don't, she can't be touched for another 12 months, unless the DUP vote down the budget.
sewa

Post by sewa »

NickC wrote:
I'll bite sewage, I'm bored.

It is incredibly poor form all round. DD's aide is a cock of the highest order and gets no defence from me. The kid's dad is also very naive in using an ill child for a political purpose. I hope the kid makes a full recover and lives a full and happy life.
The father isn't using him for a political purpose, if the clown hadn't responded to him almost no one would have seen the post. Responding sent it viral
I like haggis

Post by I like haggis »

James Dyson with a big boost to UK manufacturing with his early electric car fleet.

Ah wait, it's being built in Singapore...

He should believe in Britain!!!!!
sturginho

Post by sturginho »

I like haggis wrote:James Dyson with a big boost to UK manufacturing with his early electric car fleet.

I thought we were going to become Singapore?
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

Rugby2023 wrote:
shereblue wrote:If May had any balls (sic) she'd have issued the challenge herself. She never has had, even before Brexit.

Edit:
@bbclaurak
I'd simply read that she could. Do not recall the details.

Technically, I would imagine she could "resign" and then cast her name as a candidate after a weekend walk in the Welsh mountains. Politically she's need to prepare the way.

Not sure that there'd be many Brexitists wanting to relieve May, even partly, of responsibility for the "shitshow"
NickC

Post by NickC »

sewa wrote:
NickC wrote:
I'll bite sewage, I'm bored.

The father isn't using him for a political purpose, if the clown hadn't responded to him almost no one would have seen the post. Responding sent it viral
It looks like he is, otherwise why mention it. AGree with the rest of your post. As I said DD aide is a cock of the highest order.

(edited original post btw)
sewa

Post by sewa »

sturginho wrote:
I like haggis wrote:James Dyson with a big boost to UK manufacturing with his early electric car fleet.

You are trying to be , one quarter of Singapore's population were migrants at the end of 2009. ... Singapore does not provide basic protection for foreign domestic workers, such as a standard number of working hours and rest days, minimum wage and access to employment benefits.
SamShark

Post by SamShark »

Once you've made a decision you must never go back on it.

Apparently.
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

He’s a honest to goodness capitalist. :thumbup: He wouldn’t choose a more expensive manufacturing base.
Mahoney

Post by Mahoney »

sturginho wrote:

Perhaps we're going to form a Union with Singapore?
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

Mahoney wrote:
sturginho wrote:

Awesome, that’ll be another future union we can leave.
Petej

Post by Petej »

Mahoney wrote:
sturginho wrote:

Perhaps they wish to rejoin the empire. billions do apparently. We should send the fat bald bloke and Farage as special envoys.
La soule

Post by La soule »

Petej wrote:
Mahoney wrote:
sturginho wrote:

Perhaps they wish to rejoin the empire. billions do apparently. We should send the fat bald bloke and Farage as special envoys.
What happened to the Brexit plane?
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

Petej wrote:
Mahoney wrote:
sturginho wrote:

I miss the Roman Empire most.
tazman77

Post by tazman77 »

SamShark wrote:
Once you've made a decision you must never go back on it.

Apparently.
The will of the Brexiteers differs from the will of the people obviously.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

Rugby2023 wrote:

Edit:
@bbclaurak
I'd simply read that she could. Do not recall the details.

Technically, I would imagine she could "resign" and then cast her name as a candidate after a weekend walk in the Welsh mountains. Politically she's need to prepare the way.

Not sure that there'd be many Brexitists wanting to relieve May, even partly, of responsibility for the "shitshow"
Petej

Post by Petej »

La soule wrote:
Petej wrote:
Mahoney wrote:
sturginho wrote:

Too many parts are foreign currently. Also, once we get rid of regs and other hindrances we can build a fantastic plane. Red white and blue shaped like a double decker bus with a380 wings attached (made in Wales so okay despite airbus being a vile EU entity) and a few Merlin engines loosely welded on. We could get concord flying again but only after we removed all the French bits.
Last edited by Petej on Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sturginho

Post by sturginho »

La soule wrote:
Petej wrote:
Mahoney wrote:
sturginho wrote:

Scrapped when they realised it wouldnt run on hot air
La soule

Post by La soule »

:lol: :lol:

OK, fine.

Lads, just stay in all right.

Seeing the like of bimbo, Nick and Co bleating to death will just be an added bonus.
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

La soule wrote::lol: :lol:

OK, fine.

Seeing the like of bimbo, Nick and Co bleating to death will just be an added bonus.
Whatever provides the most mirth for me. I’m edging towards pro Brexit today.
sewa

Post by sewa »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... nal-market

Brexit is like a Premier League side wanting to be relegated
William Keegan

The man who used to run the WTO says the EU single market, set up by Margaret Thatcher, is ‘the top league’. How right he is

This country is obsessed by football. Many of the people who voted to “leave Europe” follow closely the ups and downs of the teams in the Premier League, teams whose stars and managers are often from, well, “Europe”.

It is unimaginable that any football fan would want his or her team to descend from the Premier League to the lowest, just like that. Yet that is not unlike what this country would be doing if the wishes of the Brexit extremists were to be realised.

The analogy was made recently by a man who ought to know, namely the distinguished French civil servant Pascal Lamy. Lamy is a former director of the World Trade Organisation, into whose rulebook hard Brexiters wish to precipitate us if a stop is not put to Brexit.

At a recent event at the London School of Economics in honour of the late Peter Sutherland – the man who set up the WTO and whom Lamy succeeded – the latter could hardly have put it more plainly: “The internal market is the top league. The WTO is the bottom.”

The internal market is usually referred to in the UK as the single market, of which Mrs Thatcher was a passionate supporter, arguing that it would give the UK economy “access to over 300 million of the world’s most prosperous people, bigger than Japan, bigger than the US. It’s not some bureaucrat’s dream – it’s for real.”

The propagation and membership of the internal/single market was considered by former Tory chancellor Kenneth Clarke to be Margaret Thatcher’s greatest achievement.

But, thanks to the trade agreements the EU has with a fair proportion of the rest of the world, as the Office for Budget Responsibility reminds us in its Discussion Paper No 3, “when added to the 49% share of UK trade accounted for by members of the EU, altogether [existing] trade agreements reduce or eliminate tariffs for around 66% of UK trade.”

The idea of crashing out of the EU and trying to set up new trade agreements from scratch in a world that is going protectionist fast is, or ought to be, for the birds.

Now, most media comment about recent OBR pronouncements has concerned speculation about the “wiggle room” that might or might not be available to Philip Hammond in his budget next week. For me the OBR’s observations about the impact of even the mere prospect of Brexit are the real fascination.

The idea that Hammond has “room for manoeuvre” with a budget in the midst of the post-referendum chaos should be seen in the context of a timely report by the Nuffield Foundation and the National Institute of Economic and Social Research. Within the off-putting carapace of its title – Understanding and Confronting Uncertainty: Revisions to UK Government Expenditure Plans – the authors spell out how public spending plans are subject to continual adjustment as economic growth usually turns out to be less than indicated by the ambitious forecasts on which spending plans are based.

The OBR reminds us that, since the referendum, “the UK moved from being close to the top of the G7 GDP growth range in early 2016 to close to the bottom in 2018”.

It goes on: “Business investment appears to have been depressed by uncertainty … while the prospect of weakened access to foreign markets has pushed the exchange rate lower, raising inflation.” The traditional boost to the economy from a devaluation has been thwarted by the internationalisation of supply chains, “which means that many UK exports have a high import content”, but also (and I suspect principally) by “the uncertainty for exporters created by the referendum result (which may have inhibited investment in new capacity), and resilient demand for imports”.

What this economy needs is a statesmanlike – or stateswomanlike – decision to admit that continued membership of the EU is in our best interests, and an admission that we are living in cloud cuckoo land if we do not accept the argument of the veteran economist Robert Neild – referred to recently in this column – that better public services require higher taxes.

In his Quinlan lecture at the Foreign Office last week, Sir John Major described the prospect of Brexit as “a colossal misjudgment”. He went on to say that once the damage became clear, “I believe those who promised what will never be delivered will have much to answer for. They persuaded a deceived population to be weaker and poorer. That will never be forgotten – nor forgiven.”

But it is not too late. Do we really want to abdicate, to mix a sporting metaphor, from our pole position in the Premier League?
Blind Hookah

Post by Blind Hookah »

OK, fine.

I couldn't think of anything worse. It is clear the UK will leave and the minority of MPs and the media who are hell bent on stopping it are isolating more and more people daily.

UKIP won the 2014 EU elections, the Tories won the 2015 election with a promise of a vote. Leave won the vote in 2016. All parties that did well had a pro leave manifesto in the 2017 and seen the Lib Dems static and SNP hammered. Thats four elections where is has been a key issue and the remainers still won't accept it. If the UK turned their back on this now they would lose everything, both at home and abroad.
sewa

Post by sewa »

Blind Hookah wrote:

OK, fine.

I couldn't think of anything worse. It is clear the UK will leave and the minority of MPs and the media who are hell bent on stopping it are isolating more and more people daily.

UKIP won the 2014 EU elections, the Tories won the 2015 election with a promise of a vote. Leave won the vote in 2016. All parties that did well had a pro leave manifesto in the 2017 and seen the Lib Dems static and SNP hammered. Thats four elections where is has been a key issue and the remainers still won't accept it. If the UK turned their back on this now they would lose everything, both at home and abroad.
Well hurry up and leave so, we are waiting ages.
Mahoney

Post by Mahoney »

the minority of MPs and the media who are hell bent on stopping it are isolating more and more people daily
Alienating? Isolating would imply they are succeeding.
Blind Hookah

Post by Blind Hookah »

sewa wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... nal-market

Brexit is like a Premier League side wanting to be relegated
William Keegan

The man who used to run the WTO says the EU single market, set up by Margaret Thatcher, is ‘the top league’. How right he is

This country is obsessed by football. Many of the people who voted to “leave Europe” follow closely the ups and downs of the teams in the Premier League, teams whose stars and managers are often from, well, “Europe”.

It is unimaginable that any football fan would want his or her team to descend from the Premier League to the lowest, just like that. Yet that is not unlike what this country would be doing if the wishes of the Brexit extremists were to be realised.

The analogy was made recently by a man who ought to know, namely the distinguished French civil servant Pascal Lamy. Lamy is a former director of the World Trade Organisation, into whose rulebook hard Brexiters wish to precipitate us if a stop is not put to Brexit.

At a recent event at the London School of Economics in honour of the late Peter Sutherland – the man who set up the WTO and whom Lamy succeeded – the latter could hardly have put it more plainly: “The internal market is the top league. The WTO is the bottom.”

The internal market is usually referred to in the UK as the single market, of which Mrs Thatcher was a passionate supporter, arguing that it would give the UK economy “access to over 300 million of the world’s most prosperous people, bigger than Japan, bigger than the US. It’s not some bureaucrat’s dream – it’s for real.”

The propagation and membership of the internal/single market was considered by former Tory chancellor Kenneth Clarke to be Margaret Thatcher’s greatest achievement.

But, thanks to the trade agreements the EU has with a fair proportion of the rest of the world, as the Office for Budget Responsibility reminds us in its Discussion Paper No 3, “when added to the 49% share of UK trade accounted for by members of the EU, altogether [existing] trade agreements reduce or eliminate tariffs for around 66% of UK trade.”

The idea of crashing out of the EU and trying to set up new trade agreements from scratch in a world that is going protectionist fast is, or ought to be, for the birds.

Now, most media comment about recent OBR pronouncements has concerned speculation about the “wiggle room” that might or might not be available to Philip Hammond in his budget next week. For me the OBR’s observations about the impact of even the mere prospect of Brexit are the real fascination.

The idea that Hammond has “room for manoeuvre” with a budget in the midst of the post-referendum chaos should be seen in the context of a timely report by the Nuffield Foundation and the National Institute of Economic and Social Research. Within the off-putting carapace of its title – Understanding and Confronting Uncertainty: Revisions to UK Government Expenditure Plans – the authors spell out how public spending plans are subject to continual adjustment as economic growth usually turns out to be less than indicated by the ambitious forecasts on which spending plans are based.

The OBR reminds us that, since the referendum, “the UK moved from being close to the top of the G7 GDP growth range in early 2016 to close to the bottom in 2018”.

It goes on: “Business investment appears to have been depressed by uncertainty … while the prospect of weakened access to foreign markets has pushed the exchange rate lower, raising inflation.” The traditional boost to the economy from a devaluation has been thwarted by the internationalisation of supply chains, “which means that many UK exports have a high import content”, but also (and I suspect principally) by “the uncertainty for exporters created by the referendum result (which may have inhibited investment in new capacity), and resilient demand for imports”.

What this economy needs is a statesmanlike – or stateswomanlike – decision to admit that continued membership of the EU is in our best interests, and an admission that we are living in cloud cuckoo land if we do not accept the argument of the veteran economist Robert Neild – referred to recently in this column – that better public services require higher taxes.

In his Quinlan lecture at the Foreign Office last week, Sir John Major described the prospect of Brexit as “a colossal misjudgment”. He went on to say that once the damage became clear, “I believe those who promised what will never be delivered will have much to answer for. They persuaded a deceived population to be weaker and poorer. That will never be forgotten – nor forgiven.”

But it is not too late. Do we really want to abdicate, to mix a sporting metaphor, from our pole position in the Premier League?
That is the Guardian so we can't take it at all serious. There is dozens of journalists, "financial experts" and even posters here who have gone so hard on Brexit being an economic disaster that they have everything resting on it happening. It won't.

These articles serve as a time capsule on opinions and when looked back in a year or so will only make the writer look clueless and hysterical. All those careers and credibility on the line. James O'Brien, Owen Jones and the line with their whole careers in ruins. Can't wait.
NickC

Post by NickC »

sewa wrote:
Blind Hookah wrote:

OK, fine.

Well if you lot had spent less time begging for money and more time on getting FTAs agreed we would be a lot further down the line.......
sewa

Post by sewa »

NickC wrote:
sewa wrote:
Well if you lot had spent less time begging for money and more time on getting FTAs agreed we would be a lot further down the line.......
The onus is not on us, you are the ones who are supposed to be leaving so you prepare the proposals. It took quite a while for that message to sink in with your lot of thick as pig shit MP's.
sewa

Post by sewa »

Blind Hookah wrote:
That is the Guardian so we can't take it at all serious. There is dozens of journalists, "financial experts" and even posters here who have gone so hard on Brexit being an economic disaster that they have everything resting on it happening. It won't.

These articles serve as a time capsule on opinions and when looked back in a year or so will only make the writer look clueless and hysterical. All those careers and credibility on the line. James O'Brien, Owen Jones and the line with their whole careers in ruins. Can't wait.
What about the guys running JLR and all the other huge businesses in the UK who are clearly worried, why would I assume you to know more than the boss of major international business group Jaguar Land Rover?
NickC

Post by NickC »

sewa wrote:
NickC wrote:
sewa wrote:
The onus is not on us, you are the ones who are supposed to be leaving so you prepare the proposals. It took quite a while for that message to sink in with your lot of thick as pig shit MP's.
We did - you lot just kept whinging...'no, take it back and give us more'....a very poor look.

Or acting like kids and taking the p*ss out of people involved in the negotiations. You need to take a long look
in the mirror, doubt if you'll like what you see.......
sewa

Post by sewa »

NickC wrote:
sewa wrote:
NickC wrote:
sewa wrote:
We did - you lot just kept whinging...'no, take it back and give us more'....a very poor look.

Or acting like kids and taking the p*ss out of people involved in the negotiations. You need to take a long look
in the mirror, doubt if you'll like what you see.......
We are under no pressure. Our main concern is making sure its not a win win deal for you. We will achieve that in spades and then some
clementinfrance

Post by clementinfrance »

NickC wrote:
sewa wrote:
Blind Hookah wrote:

OK, fine.

Ahh diddums is nasty EU not letting you have your cake and eat it...

The sense of entitlement displayed by many Brexiteers is simply astounding.
Blind Hookah

Post by Blind Hookah »

sewa wrote:
Blind Hookah wrote:

What about the guys running JLR and all the other huge businesses in the UK who are clearly worried, why would I assume you to know more than the boss of major international business group Jaguar Land Rover?
Really, and I suppose you think the move to Slovakia was because of Brexit even though the whole thing was designed and done before the vote. I don't know about the decision process but I know the dates the submittals went in to my employer.

The media has an agenda, corporations have self interest and don't like change. Fact is when they have to change then they will and like you they will work out it was a fuss over nothing.

UK should leave no deal and any threats from the EU about planes, medicines and general unfriendly and hostile behaviour should be greeted with same. A stronger leader would have told them get stuffed a while back and we'd have seem them all kiss and make up by now.