In
60%
Out
40%

Total votes: 415

piquant

Re: OFFICIAL EU/UK referendum thread

Post by piquant »

A5D5E5 wrote: Oh Christ. If David Blanchflower is backing him, I image Carney is already back in Canada and the job advert drafted.
What's the issue with Danny?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

piquant wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote: Oh Christ. If David Blanchflower is backing him, I image Carney is already back in Canada and the job advert drafted.

He gets things wrong a lot. Like a reverse indicator on the markets.
piquant

Post by piquant »

bimboman wrote:
piquant wrote:

He gets things right a lot too. The modelling tools just don't do what we'd like in economics for now.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

piquant wrote:
bimboman wrote:
piquant wrote:

He gets things right a lot too. The modelling tools just don't do what we'd like in economics for now.

Does he? Shame he kept those to himself.
piquant

Post by piquant »

bimboman wrote:
piquant wrote:
bimboman wrote:
piquant wrote:

Does he? Shame he kept those to himself.
I've had issues with his work going back well earlier than his stint with the MPC. But's he's still an exceptionally well trained, diligent and accurate economist.
JJR

Post by JJR »

piquant wrote: ...an exceptionally well trained, diligent and accurate economist.

Most economists couldn't predict which side of the world the sun will rise on.
piquant

Post by piquant »

JJR wrote:
piquant wrote: ...an exceptionally well trained, diligent and accurate economist.

Most economists couldn't predict which side of the world the sun will rise on.
it's not easy, though a lot of the jokes are fair too. and just 'cause it isn't easy doesn't mean we don't take the best advice we can, and employing people like Danny with their skills, work ethic, willingness to say what they see, and attention to details seems to be what we'd want
A5D5E5

Post by A5D5E5 »

Chuckles1188 wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
jorwar wrote:David Blanchflower sums up the Mayhem government and the loons who attack Mark the mounty who, God preserve us, will sign up for more years as the a Governor.

"I find it astonishing that in the space of a few days, non-economists William Hague and Michael Gove write newspaper columns attacking central bank independence while Daniel Hannan, a former journalist and a Eurosceptic Tory MEP, goes on the BBC denouncing Carney in similar terms, in an apparently coordinated campaign.

There were even utterly idiotic suggestions that Jacob Rees-Mogg, a Tory MP who knows no economics and has a degree in history, should replace Carney. It was even mooted that the independent Office for Budget Responsibility forecasts should be ignored if they dared to suggest the economy was slowing. Liam Fox, who is a medical doctor with no training in economics, astonishingly ordered Chancellor Philip Hammond not to start “Project Fear Two” in the latest Brexit spat. Fox apparently urged Hammond not to inject fiscal stimulus as it may cause Britons to “wrongly” panic about the impact Brexit may have on the economy. As the Bible advises: “Stay away from a fool, for you will not find knowledge on their lips” (Proverbs 14:7).

The Oxford economist Simon Wren-Lewis has argued, rightly, that there seems to be a “large element of shooting the messenger in the attacks on Carney. He warned of the short-term difficulties Brexit might create, and helped take decisive action to avoid those dangers. But to the Brexiteers, it is an article of faith that Brexit can only bring good, so in their make believe world Carney is responsible for talking down the economy.” He isn’t."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ent-brexit
Oh Christ. If David Blanchflower is backing him, I image Carney is already back in Canada and the job advert drafted.
Why? Because he was in a room with McDonnell a couple of times?

His dalliance with McDonnell is one the more creditable things he has done - having the guts to take it on and then the sense to quit when it became clear that McDonnell was beyond help. However, in a profession where being wrong is pretty much the norm, he stands out Like a beacon of inaccuracy.
village

Post by village »

In fairness he was a good captain at Spurs
I like haggis

Post by I like haggis »

How's everyone reading the Carney situation now he's staying on?

I think he's come out of it looking pretty good all things considered. It seems May who opened him up to attacks with her conference speech on low rates, then had to backtrack when he said "alright I'll go then" which she knew would be bad and now he's staying on but Brexiteers in her cabinet probably can't attack him anymore because he's been given a very public vote of confidence. All this hysteria and her retreat was very avoidable if she picked her words more carefully during her conference speech.

Like all politicians, she tells people what they want to hear, but her actions are quite far removed from her words.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

I think a lot of my pleasure in the next few years is going to be derived from watching her fudge up on a public stage again, and again, and again.
piquant

Post by piquant »

A5D5E5 wrote: However, in a profession where being wrong is pretty much the norm, he stands out Like a beacon of inaccuracy.
Have you read much of his work? Again I'd have my issues with him, not least a lot of his stuff is really boring (or at least really detailed), but it doesn't come across as glaringly inaccurate, not for the field anyway.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Chuckles1188 wrote:I think a lot of my pleasure in the next few years is going to be derived from watching her f**k up on a public stage again, and again, and again.

Can I suggest a hobby, some travel maybe, good food and wine.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

bimboman wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:I think a lot of my pleasure in the next few years is going to be derived from watching her f**k up on a public stage again, and again, and again.

Who can afford to travel now?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

JM2K6 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Who can afford to travel now?

He lives in Coventry, even a bus to Norwich for the weekend would be nice.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

bimboman wrote:

I'm not crazy about Standard, and the Commander meta is a bit crazy at the moment so I'm taking a break. DMing might be back on the cards though.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

I like haggis wrote:How's everyone reading the Carney situation now he's staying on?

I think he's come out of it looking pretty good all things considered. It seems May who opened him up to attacks with her conference speech on low rates, then had to backtrack when he said "alright I'll go then" which she knew would be bad and now he's staying on but Brexiteers in her cabinet probably can't attack him anymore because he's been given a very public vote of confidence. All this hysteria and her retreat was very avoidable if she picked her words more carefully during her conference speech.

Like all politicians, she tells people what they want to hear, but her actions are quite far removed from her words.
Carney was being criticised well before May alluded to him. He compromised his neutrality and made incorrect projections. Some economists weren't keen on his rate cut and QE plans either.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Carney is staying until brexit actually happens and then wiping his hands of the UK. Which is at least honourable of him.
jorwar

Post by jorwar »

More straight thinking from the Tories: :lol:
What a f**king shambles.

"Pro-leave MP Nadhim Zahawi’s article in the Mail on Sunday was remarkable, suggesting we should keep paying our full £8.5bn annual EU contribution after Brexit, in exchange for “tariff-free access to the single market”. Here was transparent government kite-flying to prepare Mail readers for the many compromises to come, as implied in the Nissan deal.

The greatest compromise must be over free movement. One plausible route is a subtle reinterpretation of free movement to mean “free movement of labour” not “people” – admitting only those with a job offer. Will the EU accept it – and will UK voters? Recent opinion polls suggest people may, as they now put worry about living standards ahead of immigration.

If that’s what Nissan was told then parliament should know – and many would celebrate a monumental shift in direction to stay as close in to the EU as possible. If that’s what’s in the letter, we should know what Nissan knows.

But plainly the cabinet is nowhere near agreeing any such gentle-Brexit plan. Only last Friday Liam Fox, the international trade secretary, ignored his leader’s prohibition on briefings as he impertinently warned Philip Hammond not to exaggerate the risks of Brexit in his autumn statement, not to create “Project Fear Mark II”. Peace has not broken out in the cabinet.

Nick Clegg, Keir Starmer and Andrew Tyrie, Tory chair of the treasury committee, call for the government to lay out its plan before triggering article 50. But this deeply divided cabinet would be incapable of agreeing any such document. Fear of Brexit fury is what keeps the Nissan letter under wraps."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... car-brexit
Silver

Post by Silver »

camroc1 wrote:Carney is staying until brexit actually happens and then wiping his hands of the UK. Which is at least honourable of him.
May's a fool for backing this Goldman Sachs plant. His behavior before the vote was a disgrace. His reputation has been destroyed and he will never get it back

He is only in this job because of his links with Goldman's. Not his ability or suitability for it.
PM ignores calls for Bank of England boss Mark Carney to go... & wants him to stay LONGER
THERESA MAY today dismissed calls for Bank of England Governor Mark Carney to resign with the Prime Minister believing the Canadian is “absolutely” the right man for the job.
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

Chuckles1188 wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
jorwar wrote:David Blanchflower sums up the Mayhem government and the loons who attack Mark the mounty who, God preserve us, will sign up for more years as the a Governor.

"I find it astonishing that in the space of a few days, non-economists William Hague and Michael Gove write newspaper columns attacking central bank independence while Daniel Hannan, a former journalist and a Eurosceptic Tory MEP, goes on the BBC denouncing Carney in similar terms, in an apparently coordinated campaign.

There were even utterly idiotic suggestions that Jacob Rees-Mogg, a Tory MP who knows no economics and has a degree in history, should replace Carney. It was even mooted that the independent Office for Budget Responsibility forecasts should be ignored if they dared to suggest the economy was slowing. Liam Fox, who is a medical doctor with no training in economics, astonishingly ordered Chancellor Philip Hammond not to start “Project Fear Two” in the latest Brexit spat. Fox apparently urged Hammond not to inject fiscal stimulus as it may cause Britons to “wrongly” panic about the impact Brexit may have on the economy. As the Bible advises: “Stay away from a fool, for you will not find knowledge on their lips” (Proverbs 14:7).

The Oxford economist Simon Wren-Lewis has argued, rightly, that there seems to be a “large element of shooting the messenger in the attacks on Carney. He warned of the short-term difficulties Brexit might create, and helped take decisive action to avoid those dangers. But to the Brexiteers, it is an article of faith that Brexit can only bring good, so in their make believe world Carney is responsible for talking down the economy.” He isn’t."

Oh Christ. If David Blanchflower is backing him, I image Carney is already back in Canada and the job advert drafted.
David Blanchflower was an external member of the monetary policy committee at the Bank of England from June 2006 to May 2009

i take it, he missed calling the most obvious over-heating of the economy and subsequent recession in living memory
jorwar

Post by jorwar »

fisgard792 wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:

David Blanchflower was an external member of the monetary policy committee at the Bank of England from June 2006 to May 2009

i take it, he missed calling the most obvious over-heating of the economy and subsequent recession in living memory
Shit, didn't he spot the upcoming wanking crisis? :blush:
I like haggis

Post by I like haggis »

Rugby2023 wrote:
I like haggis wrote:How's everyone reading the Carney situation now he's staying on?

Carney was being criticised well before May alluded to him. He compromised his neutrality and made incorrect projections. Some economists weren't keen on his rate cut and QE plans either.
He's independent, not neutral and there is a subtle difference there. He was also correct about a lot of things. It's odd that because we're not in a recession people overlook the pound in severe trouble, inflation going up and lack of foreign investment (all things Carney predicted).
unseenwork

Post by unseenwork »

I like haggis wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:

He's independent, not neutral and there is a subtle difference there. He was also correct about a lot of things. It's odd that because we're not in a recession people overlook the pound in severe trouble, inflation going up and lack of foreign investment (all things Carney predicted).
Indeed, and there's no point in being neutral in the event where you could try and avert an event of mass stupidity, alas he failed.
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

unseenwork wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:

Indeed, and there's no point in being neutral in the event where you could try and avert an event of mass stupidity, alas he failed.
For a supposed clever guy, in perhaps the most important position in the whole issue, he allowed himself to be manipulated by the chancellor, rather than offering his opinion thru evidence to be cross-examined in a rational fashion.

his position would have been expected to have near all the answers at his disposal to being cross-examined. That his position wasn't taken into account or cross-examined, was another mistake in the campaign process imo
JJR

Post by JJR »

I like haggis wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:

What lack of foreign investment?
piquant

Post by piquant »

fisgard792 wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:

The records show in the run up to what became the crisis Blanchflower was the one member on the MPC consistently voting for cuts to interest rates to protect jobs as he was looking at the lines of credit shrinking in the US and considered the UK was but months behind, I assume that's when and why he became known as the Threadneedle One though I've never actually checked that out.

I think it'd be a stretch to say he saw just how bad things were going to get, but after Lehman Brothers the MPC went in one month from one person voting for cuts to interest rates to every member voting for cuts (and there had been some calls for an increase or two whilst Blanchflower had been out on his wanderings all alone)

None of which suggests he was or will always be right. And nothing there suggests the others who'd been voting against cuts were wholly wrong. But we don't just give the power to one person, and to me it's no bad thing if within the MPC they're hearing well educated and well informed opinions which may well differ, and then they vote.
haunch

Post by haunch »

Business confidence hits post referendum high.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/201 ... onomy-hol/

Also EZ gdp growth at 0.3 for last quarter.
easyray

Post by easyray »

haunch wrote:Business confidence hits post referendum high.

Ah yes, the Telegraph. Along with the Sun, Express and Mail, another newspaper that can be relied on for its bullshit, lies and total disregard of facts :roll:
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

easyray wrote:

Ah yes, the Telegraph. Along with the Sun, Express and Mail, another newspaper that can be relied on for its bullshit, lies and total disregard of facts :roll:
Hmmm. The editorialising can get out of hand and there seems to be general agreement that it's not the paper it once was, but I think mentioning the Telegraph in the same breath as the other papers you mention is rather unfair
easyray

Post by easyray »

Chuckles1188 wrote:
easyray wrote:

Hmmm. The editorialising can get out of hand and there seems to be general agreement that it's not the paper it once was, but I think mentioning the Telegraph in the same breath as the other papers you mention is rather unfair
The Daily Telegraph fined £30,000 for email instructing readers to vote Conservative
The Daily Telegraph, the Daily Mail and the Daily Express are set to be reported to the Independent Press Standards Organisation (Ipso) for publishing inaccurate, misleading or distorted stories about the European Union ahead of the referendum.

The complaint said the newspapers failed to "take care not to publish inaccurate, misleading or distorted information or images, including headlines not supported by the text."
You should read what Private Eyes has to say about the Torygraph in its 'Street of Shame' section on a monthly basis.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Right, but I didn't say it didn't have major flaws. The Sun, the Express and the Mail are a whole order of magnitude beyond what is described there.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

As,are the tax dodging hypocritical Gaurdian and disgusting troop smearing daily mirror.
Rocketz

Post by Rocketz »

A $17 billion bank has sold all of its British assets because of Brexit https://t.co/V7sS5SDPJH https://t.co/T3qtqib7mz
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

easyray wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
easyray wrote:

The Daily Telegraph fined £30,000 for email instructing readers to vote Conservative
The Daily Telegraph, the Daily Mail and the Daily Express are set to be reported to the Independent Press Standards Organisation (Ipso) for publishing inaccurate, misleading or distorted stories about the European Union ahead of the referendum.

The complaint said the newspapers failed to "take care not to publish inaccurate, misleading or distorted information or images, including headlines not supported by the text."
You should read what Private Eyes has to say about the Torygraph in its 'Street of Shame' section on a monthly basis.
In fairness Private Eye pretty much slaughters all the main papers in its Street of Shame, the Torygraph is hardly an exclusive target.
MorseCode

Post by MorseCode »

Its impossible to find a paper that doesn't have a bias or slant. I'm not old enough to know if it's always been this way, but its certainly the case now.

I dont think the Telegraph is as bad as the Express or the Sun anyway. They're just the right's version of the Guardian. I'd expect both to give a slanted version of whatever story is doing the rounds. Both have hilarious opinion sections, which are basically just wank material for their audience.
tc27

Post by tc27 »

Brexit was a middle class revolution - interesting take from the Ashcroft polling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQlFcMpO3Uk
NickC

Post by NickC »

Rocketz wrote:A $17 billion bank has sold all of its British assets because of Brexit https://t.co/V7sS5SDPJH https://t.co/T3qtqib7mz
Incorrect, as usual.

"Carnegie Investment Bank AB, which manages $17.2 billion for clients....."

Also it didn't say what sterling assets it sold or the value of them.

Either way, their clients have missed out.
dantedelew

Post by dantedelew »

Rocketz wrote:A $17 billion bank has sold all of its British assets because of Brexit https://t.co/V7sS5SDPJH https://t.co/T3qtqib7mz
The article states that they'd sold off the assets before the vote had happened.
jorwar

Post by jorwar »

John Danzig writes:

"Many who voted for ‘Leave’ didn’t necessarily want an end to ‘free movement’, either for themselves, or for our European neighbours.

And most definitely many who voted for ‘Leave’ did not want to end Britain’s full and privileged access to the EU Single Market, where just under half of Britain’s exports go to, and just over half of Britain’s imports come from.

We know it’s possible to leave the European Union and still be part of the EU Single Market – the world’s biggest, richest marketplace, and the source of considerable wealth for Britain and Britons.

After all, Norway and Switzerland are not members of the EU, but are still part of the EU Single Market. Voluntarily. Because much of the wealth of those countries is also intrinsically linked to the Single Market.

However, it’s not possible to enjoy being part of the EU Single Market without also accepting free movement of people.

Mrs May is being arrogantly presumptuous in claiming that Britain voted against ‘free movement of people’ (even though we never had a vote on that).

But by ending ‘free movement’, as she has now promised to do, it will be impossible for Mrs May to deliver on her other promise of delivering “the best possible deal for trade” with the EU.

She cannot have one, without the other.

Britain currently has the “best possible deal for trade” with the EU Single Market. We cannot possibly get any better, either in or out of the EU. We have the best now.

Instead of getting the best deal, Mrs May is going to end the best deal.

Nobody in Britain voted for Mrs May’s new administration, which UKIP’s Roger Helmer, MEP, claimed this month has adopted “about 90% of UKIP’s programme”.
Nobody in Britain voted to end ‘free movement of people’.
Nobody in Britain voted to end Britain’s privileged access to the EU Single Market.
But that’s what Mrs May says that the British people want, so that’s what Britain is getting."

Democracy. RIP.

http://eu-rope.ideasoneurope.eu/