Leicester's publicity assault on new neighbours continues...

All things Rugby
mabunch78

Leicester's publicity assault on new neighbours continues...

Post by mabunch78 »

The Cockerill uttereth...
“You only come to Leicester to play sport, you don’t come for anything else. There’s not much else here … though I used to live in Coventry and anything’s better than Coventry.”
Last edited by mabunch78 on Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
village

Re: Leicester's publicity assault on new neighbours continue

Post by village »

Can't argue with that. The phrase "sending him to Coventry" didn't arise by accident.
Smee

Post by Smee »

I believe Leicester(shire) would be the first English county outside of the London and Manchester conurbations to win a cricket county championship and the rugby and football premierships. Pretty good going. :thumbup:
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

I am deeply conflicted over this
Torquemada 1420

Post by Torquemada 1420 »

Smee wrote:I believe Leicester(shire) would be the first English county outside of the London and Manchester conurbations to win a cricket county championship and the rugby and football premierships. Pretty good going. :thumbup:
Manchester and rugby championship?
covrich

Post by covrich »

He is from Coventry, he even calls himself a Cov lad
village

Post by village »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Smee wrote:I believe Leicester(shire) would be the first English county outside of the London and Manchester conurbations to win a cricket county championship and the rugby and football premierships. Pretty good going. :thumbup:
Sale Sharks 2006 champions.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Chuckles1188 wrote:I am deeply conflicted over this
So am I - anyone got a spare Nuke?
Torquemada 1420

village wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Sale Sharks 2006 champions.
Thx.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Enzedder wrote:
So am I - anyone got a spare Nuke?
I am less conflicted now
Glaston

Post by Glaston »

On my first trip to Britain I visited Coventry. (it was the early 60's and I was only a nipper)

The only things I remember of that visit were the swans at Stratford and the ugliness of the Cathedral.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Glaston wrote:On my first trip to Britain I visited Coventry. (it was the early 60's and I was only a nipper)

The only things I remember of that visit were the swans at Stratford and the ugliness of the Cathedral.
It is hideous isn't it? Loads of people go on about how good it is but I think it's atrocious personally. Wish they'd just done the sensible thing and rebuilt the old one
kornboy130

Post by kornboy130 »

mabunch78 wrote:The Cockerill uttereth...
“You only come to Leicester to play sport, you don’t come for anything else. There’s not much else here … though I used to live in Coventry and anything’s better than Coventry.”
Well i mean... he is from Coventry.
Tighthead

Post by Tighthead »

Where are you then, Chuckles?
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Tighthead wrote:
I'm in Coventry.
Torquemada 1420

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Tighthead wrote:
I'm in Coventry.
:lol:
It's a tough call. But Cov at least produced 2Tone. What did Leicester do? Showaddywaddy? :?
Nabberuk

Post by Nabberuk »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Tighthead wrote:
I'm in Coventry.
It's a tough call. But Cov at least produced 2Tone. What did Leicester do? Showaddywaddy? :?
Kasabian?
Tighthead

Post by Tighthead »

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Tighthead wrote:
I'm in Coventry.
So you and Covrich in Coventry and me in Rugby? To be fair, driving in Coventry sucks.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

I think there's another Coventrian on here, possibly bobbity? Not sure, but I do seem to recall someone else being based in or near here.

As for driving in Cov, the ring road makes it reasonably convenient but at the same time it's a f**king death trap, and most of the drivers here are terrible
kornboy130

Post by kornboy130 »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Tighthead wrote:
I'm in Coventry.
Hey, you back off alright - we gave the world Gok Wan.

(Also: David and Richard Attenborough, Felix Buxton, Gary Lineker, Kasabian, Engelbert Humperdink, Peter Shilton and Mark Selby that I can remember who aren't rugby players).
Market Square Hero

Post by Market Square Hero »

kornboy130 wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Tighthead wrote:
I'm in Coventry.

(Also: David and Richard Attenborough, Felix Buxton, Gary Lineker, Kasabian, Engelbert Humperdink, Peter Shilton and Mark Selby that I can remember who aren't rugby players).
Indeed ...but you also gave Austin Healey (though a Scouser) the platform upon which to inflict himself on the world. That is unforgivable. ;)
Torquemada 1420

kornboy130 wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Tighthead wrote:
I'm in Coventry.

I had to look up Gok Wan. WTF?

Inflicting Lineker on us all is a crime. BTW, you forgot Willie Thorne.
sturginho

Post by sturginho »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:BTW, you forgot Willie Thorne.
and the bones of Richard III
Xupi

Post by Xupi »

Has any English city (besides London, I guess...) ever had a club win in the same year, the football and rugby domestic titles?
Nabberuk

Post by Nabberuk »

And Thomas Cook
Torquemada 1420

Xupi wrote:Has any English city (besides London, I guess...) ever had a club win in the same year, the football and rugby domestic titles?
Definitely no I'd say since Leicester has won nothing at wendyball level and the year Sale won (from above and a quick google) the rugby, Chelski won the wendy.
Xupi

Post by Xupi »

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Definitely no I'd say since Leicester has won nothing at wendyball level and the year Sale won (from above and a quick google) the rugby, Chelski won the wendy.
and the city of London? Wasps/Harlequins and Chelsea/Arsenal?

I don't think any city has done it in France but would need to be double-checked with the Paris clubs a century ago, and potentially Bordeaux as well.
Tim.

Post by Tim. »

Xupi wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote: Definitely no I'd say since Leicester has won nothing at wendyball level and the year Sale won (from above and a quick google) the rugby, Chelski won the wendy.

I don't think any city has done it in France but would need to be double-checked with the Paris clubs a century ago, and potentially Bordeaux as well.
English rugby was only organised into leagues in the mid80s, before then leagues were considered too close to professionalism. By coincidence this was around the time London football teams started winning leagues again as money became a bigger factor. Spurs have won the league twice iirc. Chelsea's second title was under Mourinho. Arsenal have won around half their titles under Wenger.

Wasps/Arsenal 2004
Wasps/Chelsea 2005
Saracens/Chelsea 2015
Xupi

Post by Xupi »

Tim. wrote: English rugby was only organised into leagues in the mid80s, before then leagues were considered too close to professionalism. By coincidence this was around the time London football teams started winning leagues again as money became a bigger factor. Spurs have won the league twice iirc. Chelsea's second title was under Mourinho. Arsenal have won around half their titles under Wenger.

Wasps/Arsenal 2004
Wasps/Chelsea 2005
Saracens/Chelsea 2015
:thumbup:
Tim.

Post by Tim. »

Xupi wrote:
Tim. wrote: English rugby was only organised into leagues in the mid80s, before then leagues were considered too close to professionalism. By coincidence this was around the time London football teams started winning leagues again as money became a bigger factor. Spurs have won the league twice iirc. Chelsea's second title was under Mourinho. Arsenal have won around half their titles under Wenger.

Wasps/Arsenal 2004
Wasps/Chelsea 2005
Saracens/Chelsea 2015
:thumbup:
In fairness there was a Southern League at one point so most London clubs entered the football leagues "proper" later. But bar Arsenal's spell in the 30s and Spurs' in the early-mid 60s, London football has for the most part been pretty poor. Almost Paris bad. It took until 2012 for London to win the European Cup.

They seemed to pick up a lot of England caps though and of course played at Wembley. Old people (talking pensioner age) up north often consider England a London team with London bias in selection. With blanket coverage and interest it's unlikely Bill at Fulham would be selected over Arthur at Sheffield Wednesday these days.
Xupi

Post by Xupi »

Tim. wrote: In fairness there was a Southern League at one point so most London clubs entered the football leagues "proper" later. But bar Arsenal's spell in the 30s and Spurs' in the early-mid 60s, London football has for the most part been pretty poor. Almost Paris bad. It took until 2012 for London to win the European Cup.
West Ham? I thought they made up the bulk of the English 1966 WC winning side...
Tim.

Post by Tim. »

Xupi wrote:
Tim. wrote: In fairness there was a Southern League at one point so most London clubs entered the football leagues "proper" later. But bar Arsenal's spell in the 30s and Spurs' in the early-mid 60s, London football has for the most part been pretty poor. Almost Paris bad. It took until 2012 for London to win the European Cup.
West Ham? I thought they made up the bulk of the English 1966 WC winning side...
Bulk might be pushing it, though Hammers will tell you they won the World Cup, yes. Bobby Moore captained the WC team; Martin Peters and Geoff Hurst, the hat-trick guy, were in it. They were 12th that season. They've never won the league title nor come second.
Last edited by Tim. on Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xupi

Post by Xupi »

Tim. wrote: Bulk might be pushing it, though Hammers will tell you they won the World Cup, yes. Bobby Moore captained the WC team; Martin Peters and George Hurst, the hat-trick guy, were in it. They were 12th that season. They've never won the league title nor come second.
Really? oh never knew, I thought they had 2 or 3 titles.
Torquemada 1420

Xupi wrote:
Peters, Hurst and Moore were the only Irons?
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Xupi wrote:
Eh?
Torquemada 1420

Xupi wrote:
Tim. wrote: Bulk might be pushing it, though Hammers will tell you they won the World Cup, yes. Bobby Moore captained the WC team; Martin Peters and George Hurst, the hat-trick guy, were in it. They were 12th that season. They've never won the league title nor come second.
Really? oh never knew, I thought they had 2 or 3 titles.
Nope. No titles for them. A few FA cup wins.
Torquemada 1420

SaintK wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Xupi wrote:
Eh?
Did I miss someone? Apologies. Age thing.
Tim.

Post by Tim. »

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Xupi wrote:
Yes. Hurst and Peters scored all the goals and Moore was the captain = West Ham won the WC.
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

Tim. wrote:
Xupi wrote:

English rugby was only organised into leagues in the mid80s, before then leagues were considered too close to professionalism. By coincidence this was around the time London football teams started winning leagues again as money became a bigger factor. Spurs have won the league twice iirc. Chelsea's second title was under Mourinho. Arsenal have won around half their titles under Wenger.

Wasps/Arsenal 2004
Wasps/Chelsea 2005
Saracens/Chelsea 2015
courage league started 1985, wasnt home and away games, waterloo (remember them) were the runaway leaders of the inaugural season, and were overtaken on the last game by leicester at welford road, pro rugby was the 95/96 season

before the courage league we had the john smith merit table, and the you could say the unofficial champions of england prior to that was the john player cup

actually, i miss the 4 regions tournament, the midlands had a strong team base, with the tigers and notnam
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Tim. wrote:
Xupi wrote:

Wasps/Arsenal 2004
Wasps/Chelsea 2005
Saracens/Chelsea 2015
Hmmm. Bit much to compare London to the rest of the English cities, but wasps/arsenal are the same area of London (at least nominally)