Long distance hiking thread

All things Rugby
frillage

Re: Long distance hiking thread

Post by frillage »

slick wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
slick wrote:At last. Trip to Glencoe begins tomorrow morning.

Weather looks OK Friday and pretty good Saturday so plan is a low level walk tomorrow then Bidean on Saturday. Can't bloody wait.
Off this Friday to do Suilven then got 3 days in Glencore. Forecast is -5 and snow :lol:

Keen to do Arran circuit and Skye in the next few months with a couple of mates who
are also unemployed.
If you are ever looking for someone to go with let me know. Bafflingly none of my mates up here are interested so a bit restricted to a couple of times a year getting mates up from down south!

In saying that, you won't get me anywhere near snow and much of Skye sounds terrifying!
If doing the InPin is on the cards I’d be up for it, on the bucket list.
slick

Post by slick »

frillage wrote:
slick wrote:
HKCJ wrote:

Weather looks OK Friday and pretty good Saturday so plan is a low level walk tomorrow then Bidean on Saturday. Can't bloody wait.
Off this Friday to do Suilven then got 3 days in Glencore. Forecast is -5 and snow :lol:

Keen to do Arran circuit and Skye in the next few months with a couple of mates who
are also unemployed.
If you are ever looking for someone to go with let me know. Bafflingly none of my mates up here are interested so a bit restricted to a couple of times a year getting mates up from down south!

In saying that, you won't get me anywhere near snow and much of Skye sounds terrifying!
Get. f**ked.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

slick wrote:
frillage wrote:
slick wrote:
HKCJ wrote:

are also unemployed.

Get. f**ked.
And then you can get f**cked again! I’m a hiker not a climber and don’t really do heights all that well tbh.
frillage

Post by frillage »

Any fat tourist, you lads will be fine!
slick

Post by slick »

Any further honesty and I might have to admit I got vertigo on Bidean and had to scramble off on my arse.

But until that point, carry on. :blush:
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

Well back from the Highlands and Glencoe.. what a week. Blue skies, sunshine barely a cloud all week, no midges. Suilven was an amazing climb.. had the bothy all to ourselves. Wild camped on an amazing beach just North of Lochinver, had one of the best fry ups I’ve ever had in Ullapool.. then Glencoe did Bidan, Lost sisters, Pap and Ben Nevis. Weather was just unfcuking real. One of those weeks where Scotland Beats anywhere in the world. Am headed to Skye to do the Skye trail in mid May with a mate and fingers crossed we get half as good weather.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

Off to Skye tomorrrow for 5 days.. fcuking glorious few days here in Edinburgh which almost certainly means it'll pish down for the entirety of our trip.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

HKCJ wrote:Off to Skye tomorrrow for 5 days.. fcuking glorious few days here in Edinburgh which almost certainly means it'll pish down for the entirety of our trip.
Perfect, that means there won't be any midges
slick

Post by slick »

Taking the day off and going for a little stroll in the Ochils tomorrow, can't bloody wait, weather looks amazing.

Skye for 5 days sounds slightly better tbf
KnuckleDragger

Post by KnuckleDragger »

slick wrote:Taking the day off and going for a little stroll in the Ochils tomorrow, can't bloody wait, weather looks amazing.

Skye for 5 days sounds slightly better tbf
Say hello as you walk through Dollar (although I'll be at work you lucky git....)
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

HKCJ wrote:had one of the best fry ups I’ve ever had in Ullapool.
The Ceilidh Place?

I was back in the UK and Ireland for 3 weeks recently and had some lovely walks - we did portions of the Pilgrim's Way in Kent, and the Kerry Camino and Wicklow Way in Ireland.
frillage

Post by frillage »

ZappaMan wrote:
The Ceilidh Place?

I was back in the UK and Ireland for 3 weeks recently and had some lovely walks - we did portions of the Pilgrim's Way in Kent, and the Kerry Camino and Wicklow Way in Ireland.
Are they not walkes in Ireland?
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

ZappaMan wrote:
The Ceilidh Place?

Just had a look. It was the Frigate.

Yeah so many good walks to do in the UK. One of the best things about moving home. We could do a different walk every weekend for the next 10 years and still have plenty left. The other great thing is with the different Seasons here the same walk in January is a completely different walk to June.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

HKCJ wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
The Ceilidh Place?

Yeah so many good walks to do in the UK. One of the best things about moving home. We could do a different walk every weekend for the next 10 years and still have plenty left. The other great thing is with the different Seasons here the same walk in January is a completely different walk to June.
Tbf, you don't need to leave it that long. I got quite badly sunburned recently walking up around malham cove. Because even a ginger couldn't need more than one application of sunscreen as he set out in Yorkshire in FÚCKING FEBRUARY
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

frillage wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
The Ceilidh Place?

Are they not walkes in Ireland?
Nice
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

happyhooker wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
The Ceilidh Place?

Tbf, you don't need to leave it that long. I got quite badly sunburned recently walking up around malham cove. Because even a ginger couldn't need more than one application of sunscreen as he set out in Yorkshire in FÚCKING FEBRUARY

Hahha. It was dumping snow in Glencoe last weekend. I’ve got thermals, waterproofs and sunscreen packed. Fcuking weather in this country!
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Anyone done the GR20 in Corsica?
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

iarmhiman wrote:Anyone done the GR20 in Corsica?
Yes Stunning. If you're trying to cram it into a two week holiday, have a long think. I was obscenely fit when I did it and it was a ludicrously hard 11 days. And I mean ludicrously Nowadays at a not exactly inactive 49, I'd be booking in 3 weeks.

But utterly beautiful and that strange balance of a long arduous walk that doesn't require anything more than basic scrambling. Wouldn't do it in mid summer mind you
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

Currently lying in my tent with the rain pissing down and forecast to rain all day. A small price to pay however for yesterday which was the best days hike I think I’ve ever done. After an initialeasy 15k warm up on Thursday around Rubha Hunish where we got soaked we had far too many beers in the Flodigarry Hotel and set off late at about 9am.. walked the entire Trotternish ridge with a couple of stops on the way and barely a cloud in the sky. The views were just incredible. Has to be the best day of hiking you can do if you get good weather. Quite a few tourists around the Quiraing but once we were past that we didn’t see a soul. Saw a golden eagle and a sea eagle cruising around. Took a detour off to get a better view of Old Man of Storr. Got to campsite in Portree too exhausted to go for dinner.. the Garmin says 4500 calories and 37k so am off for a massive fcuking fry up.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Nice!

My parents lived on Skye and i have been there sometimes for 3 weeks of solid rain, apart from the glorious sunshine the day you leave.....

:lol:
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

Well have finished the trail and now sat in Broadford with a breakfast bap. Rest of the trail was pretty easy compared to Trotternish ridge but we had a fair bit of cloud and rain at night but days stayed dry at least. Could have done it in 4 days but we just found a nice spot last night and decided to give ourselves a wee walk out to Broadford through the ruins of the highland clearances.. very brooding and atmospheric. A great hike all in all and would recommend above West Highland Way.
slick

Post by slick »

HKCJ wrote:Well have finished the trail and now sat in Broadford with a breakfast bap. Rest of the trail was pretty easy compared to Trotternish ridge but we had a fair bit of cloud and rain at night but days stayed dry at least. Could have done it in 4 days but we just found a nice spot last night and decided to give ourselves a wee walk out to Broadford through the ruins of the highland clearances.. very brooding and atmospheric. A great hike all in all and would recommend above West Highland Way.
That's interesting, was planning to that next year but I'll have a look at this one.

Ochils for a day was very nice!
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

HKCJ -

What shoes are you wearing on this jaunt?
globus

Post by globus »

Got to say there are some impressive tales here. The best I can do is yomping down railway tracks in the Peak District and with my mum in Jersey and Guernsey. She left me for dead!

My brother is the hiker. He's done the East-West trail and has hiked all around England, Wales and Scotland.

He's going to Ireland this year, not sure of the itinerary.
slick

Post by slick »

Monk Zombie wrote:HKCJ -

And are you wearing underwear?
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

Monk Zombie wrote:HKCJ -

:lol: I presume this is alluding to the Hobbit story when I was hiking in NZ.. I had forgotten about that.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

slick wrote:
HKCJ wrote:Well have finished the trail and now sat in Broadford with a breakfast bap. Rest of the trail was pretty easy compared to Trotternish ridge but we had a fair bit of cloud and rain at night but days stayed dry at least. Could have done it in 4 days but we just found a nice spot last night and decided to give ourselves a wee walk out to Broadford through the ruins of the highland clearances.. very brooding and atmospheric. A great hike all in all and would recommend above West Highland Way.
That's interesting, was planning to that next year but I'll have a look at this one.

WHW is a great hike don’t get me wrong but I thought this was a bit more spectacular but that could have been the weather. A lot of variety too.. ridge walking, valleys, coastal
globus

Post by globus »

I did hitch hike from Greece to Norwich, but not sure if that counts.
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

tabascoboy wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Zakar wrote:I live hiking but have done piss all since I've been here. I'd like to do an overnight in August. Any recommendations? Literally anywhere in Europe is fine.
Just in the uk there are loads. Pennine, coast to coast, West Highland way, Pembrokeshire coastal. Depends on your time/level.

The most spectacular I've done was more climbing orientated and included les dents du midi and mont blanc. Unbelievable. There's some decent stuff in the dolomites and the pyrenees outside the alps.

The 'pilgrimage' to santiaga De compostella was notable as much for the food as the hiking
And the Julian Alps of Slovenia.
just came across this thread,,,,,anyone done anything around the above ? I'm looking for something in Europe around September for say 4 days hiking - maybe 20 kms a day type stuff ; cheers
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

HKCJ wrote:
slick wrote:

WHW is a great hike don’t get me wrong but I thought this was a bit more spectacular but that could have been the weather. A lot of variety too.. ridge walking, valleys, coastal
Keep your eyes open for a lost camera

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... tures.html
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

Mr Mike wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
slick wrote:

:lol: the mate I was hiking with sent me that.. we were laughing cos we did actually have a 21 year old French girl ask to join us for lunch at Sligachan hotel and fair to say she was a very flirtatious young thing we both became very big fans of and he would happily go back to scan for pictures of her. She actually scribbled down where she works in Edinburgh and told me to come for a free drink. I thankfully accepted and surreptitiously put it in a bin. It was a good boost to the ego but explaining to the fiancé the harmless note in the pocket not worth the hassle!
shabadoo

Post by shabadoo »

Hiked the Arctic Circle Trail last summer. Really enjoyed it. Probably won't do anything big this summer but was thinking of maybe a hike in Scotland for a few days. Maybe with the wife...so something easy enough. Any recommendations??

Maybe a 2/3 day hike doable? Preferably with somewhere to stay on the way rather than camping. She will do a night in the tent but more that that is a hard sell...
frillage

Post by frillage »

HKCJ wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
slick wrote:

:lol: the mate I was hiking with sent me that.. we were laughing cos we did actually have a 21 year old French girl ask to join us for lunch at Sligachan hotel and fair to say she was a very flirtatious young thing we both became very big fans of and he would happily go back to scan for pictures of her. She actually scribbled down where she works in Edinburgh and told me to come for a free drink. I thankfully accepted and surreptitiously put it in a bin. It was a good boost to the ego but explaining to the fiancé the harmless note in the pocket not worth the hassle!
Not out north Berwick way is it by any chance?
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

Nah pub in the grass market

Shabadoo - plenty of great day hikes from Glencoe
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Any Irish hikers out there?
Going to start doing it myself, or at least I intend to, and could do with some decent trails where I wont end up snapping both my ankles alone on some blustery mountain.
I'm a total beginner.

I intend to do some of the more "intermediate" trails around Glendalough, but that's it.
I love the landscape around Wicklow and for now that's the realisitic furthest out I can get from Dublin.
frillage

Post by frillage »

HKCJ wrote:Nah pub in the grass market

Shabadoo - plenty of great day hikes from Glencoe
Burke and Hare it is then!!
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

These hiking trips you guys do. Just wondering if you have to carry your food or if there are places to stay along the journey, pubs etc that provide accommodation and food. Most of my hiking has been in NZ bush where you have to lug in your own food and cooking gear. Not having to carry that would be convenient. I trekked in the Anapurna region in Nepal where eating and staying in teahouses was very convenient. Just curious about these walks in Europe and the UK.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

booji boy wrote:These hiking trips you guys do. Just wondering if you have to carry your food or if there are places to stay along the journey, pubs etc that provide accommodation and food. Most of my hiking has been in NZ bush where you have to lug in your own food and cooking gear. Not having to carry that would be convenient. I trekked in the Anapurna region in Nepal where eating and staying in teahouses was very convenient. Just curious about these walks in Europe and the UK.
In my experience in the UK and Europe you don't really need to carry anything food wise beyond snacks for lots of hikes. Naturally, it depends on the hike, as some will end in a hut etc, or need full camping equipment.

It's less 'hard core' but still deeply satisfying having a Pint and pub feed after a full days walk, compared to setting up a fire/stove to cook. Both have their merits. :thumbup:
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Zakar wrote:
booji boy wrote:These hiking trips you guys do. Just wondering if you have to carry your food or if there are places to stay along the journey, pubs etc that provide accommodation and food. Most of my hiking has been in NZ bush where you have to lug in your own food and cooking gear. Not having to carry that would be convenient. I trekked in the Anapurna region in Nepal where eating and staying in teahouses was very convenient. Just curious about these walks in Europe and the UK.
In my experience in the UK and Europe you don't really need to carry anything food wise beyond snacks for lots of hikes. Naturally, it depends on the hike, as some will end in a hut etc, or need full camping equipment.

It's less 'hard core' but still deeply satisfying having a Pint and pub feed after a full days walk, compared to setting up a fire/stove to cook. Both have their merits. :thumbup:
Absolutely agree. It's actually very appealing. :thumbup:
massive_field_goal

Post by massive_field_goal »

Depends on where you go. Personally I prefer to avoid hut/refuge meals and the like and have a good feed at the end to celebrate!

Typically breakfast is something like oats, watered down condensed milk and a cuppa. Lunch and dinner are one of dehydrated meal and cuppa, or bread wrap and dried meat and cheese. Supplement with dried fruits and Studentenfutter/trailmix/scroggin. Also, Kool-aid type powder drinks can be a good break from water/tea and boost moral/electrolytes when needed. Powder soups also.