Long distance hiking thread

All things Rugby
Pat the Ex Mat

Re: Long distance hiking thread

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Not strictly hiking related but my mate is doing 7 weeks kayaking around Svalbard.

He's dehydrating his arse off to make enough food for 2 people

:lol:

I am looking at getting back into hiking now my Ankle is fixed.

Tassie and NZ first - but definitely, a pub at the end kind of hike
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Mini-KG is walking part of Annapurna (Nepal) national park in December this year.

Any ‘Gotcha’s’ from anyone that has done (things to know - do or avoid).

Thanks, greg
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

kiwigreg369 wrote:Mini-KG is walking part of Annapurna (Nepal) national park in December this year.

Thanks, greg

The Annapurna circuit gets most of the press, but Annapurna Base Camp is one of the best treks you can do, you end up inside the basin, surrounded 360 by these massive mountains. You need to be there to see the sunrise, it's awe-inspiring. Go up the valley on the western side, cross to the east as high up as you can to avoid a flat walk then near vertical climb - it's a lot more gradual on the west. Above the tree line it's a serious avalanche risk, cross the danger zones before 10am. It's pretty well advertised, but there have been tragedies there.
There is a short trek to Poon hill for some good views of the mountains as well, but the trek is a bit meh, it's much better taking the time to get to base camp if possible.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

kiwigreg369 wrote:Mini-KG is walking part of Annapurna (Nepal) national park in December this year.

Thanks, greg
There's two main angles of attack with Annapurna Greg,

the full Annapurna Circuit (AC) or the Annapurna Base Camp (ABC)...

ABC is shorter and closer to Pokhara, a gorgeous little town that is an integral part of trekking there. The ABC trek heads into the southern side of the Annapurna range, following a valley up into a sort of bowl surrounded by the peaks of the western end of the range. It's a shorter walk, probably something like 11 days return from Pokhara. I've not done the whole thing, only wandered up to a village called Chomrong about 2 days from the actual ABC itself.

The AC is a different beast and was a full 21 day trek back in the day. Altitude is a major factor on that trek as you head up to and over the Thorung La, at 5416m a serious pass.

Both treks start in the lowlands, or middle hills and will be pretty temperate to begin at that time of year. Accommodation is in 'teahouses'... basic lodges with small rooms and a communal dining area. There is no need to carry food other than snacks. Breakfast, start walking, stop for lunch at a teahouse, walk again and stop somewhere that looks inviting about where you want to be at the end of each day. There are maps and guides with decent schedules readily available. Daily budget for two of us in 2014 before peak season really took off was about USD18 per day. We travelled basic, no frills.

December is a risky time to be contemplating the high passes of Nepal as winter is setting in and snowfall at altitude is no fun. A month after we crossed Thorung La a storm swept up the 'wrong side' of the mountains, coming in from the west of the pass. 42 people died including Nepali guides and porters, lost in heavy snow. I read one harrowing account from a bloke who was caught on the savage little climb to High Camp before the pass proper, he described hearing rocks falling around them as they tried to make their way up a very steep slope in deepening snow. I seriously suggest careful research about weather and trekking in December in Nepal generally and the high pass treks especially.

The ABC trek is still exposed but doesn't get to that extreme altitude.

Acclimatising to the thin air is essential. A rest day at 3500m should be taken to allow the body time to adjust. Hiking higher that day is ok but returning to 3500m to sleep is the go. From there, advancing more than 3-500m vertical per day is the safe limit for casual trekkers. That said, the normal timeframe for Thorung La is 3 days from Manang at 3500... the vertical advance is demanding on those days and looking back I'm sure I was struggling with mild altitude sickness on the last day, having slept at 4900m 2 days after leaving Manang. Up and over the pass sees you rapidly descend which is no problem... but altitude sickness is a real hazard and demands sensible managing.

Take a water purifier and avoid buying water everywhere. Plastic litter is a nightmare in the parks and litre bottles weight a shitload on top of your gear. I use a 'Steripen', battery powered UV light wand that effectively sterilises a litre in 90seconds. One of those and a solar powered recharger for batteries / phone / camera is the go. Keeping all batteries warm in the really cold weather stops them dying so they all go inside the sleeping bag in a seperate wet bag at night and stay buried somewhere warm until the day isn't freezing.

Happy to offer more advice if needed. It's a fantastic place, mindblowing, amazing...but care is needed.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Thank you both - noted both sets of comments and will use to ask him more.

He's going with these guys - https://antipodeans.com.au/nepal

ABC is target i believe - +4000m.
Caley_Red

Post by Caley_Red »

Thanks, greg
Did it a few years ago, a couple of quick tips: I would get the jeep to Tal and not start at Bette Sahar (sp?) as you'll spend 2 days hiking up a dirt road as vehicles fly past- pretty unpleasant. To absolutely avoid altitude sickness, my guide book specifically advised staying a night at Ngawal as well as the standard 2 in Manang. A personal one, spend the last night at high camp and not at Throng La as the opening part of the walk i pretty unpleasant and it's better to get it out of the way as you finish the last day.

Other few tips: never pay for a room, always say you'll eat there and they'll give you it for free; make sure to check out the mountain themed movies in Manang; stay at the Bob Marley hotel once you're over the top; spend a night in Tato Pani (sp?) and check out the hot springs (although night time as the village use them as a communal bath during the day); and, do not accept a fellow travelers' joint above 3000m!

I would also chuck Poon Hill on the end of the trek if he's feeling up to it!

Also, for about $70 USD, spend a couple of nights at Temple Tree, Pokhara after- just the recovery ticket!

One of the best things I've done in my life (though it will, at times, not feel like that), he'll enjoy it!
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

Good advice about the Jeep to Tal from Caley Red. Definitely second that.contrary to Turbo I thought Poon Hill was better views than ABC base camp. Sunrise trek definitely worth it. Just shows everyone has a different take. I see he already has a company which probably gives you better peace of mind as it’s Ozzie I Guess but the trekking companies in Kathmandu are a fraction of the price and it’s the same porters and guides ultimately. If he is offered to drink millet with the locals it’s a fun thing to do but can give you a pretty decent hangover which at altitude is never great. Always ask before taking any pictures of the locals.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

HKCJ wrote:Good advice about the Jeep to Tal from Caley Red. Definitely second that.contrary to Turbo I thought Poon Hill was better views than ABC base camp. Sunrise trek definitely worth it. Just shows everyone has a different take. I see he already has a company which probably gives you better peace of mind as it’s Ozzie I Guess but the trekking companies in Kathmandu are a fraction of the price and it’s the same porters and guides ultimately. If he is offered to drink millet with the locals it’s a fun thing to do but can give you a pretty decent hangover which at altitude is never great. Always ask before taking any pictures of the locals.
Thank you both - just to confirm he'll be 16 in Dec.
Good reads.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

kiwigreg369 wrote:
HKCJ wrote:Good advice about the Jeep to Tal from Caley Red. Definitely second that.contrary to Turbo I thought Poon Hill was better views than ABC base camp. Sunrise trek definitely worth it. Just shows everyone has a different take. I see he already has a company which probably gives you better peace of mind as it’s Ozzie I Guess but the trekking companies in Kathmandu are a fraction of the price and it’s the same porters and guides ultimately. If he is offered to drink millet with the locals it’s a fun thing to do but can give you a pretty decent hangover which at altitude is never great. Always ask before taking any pictures of the locals.
Good reads.
Ah ok then the hangovers probably don’t apply. Masturbating at altitude is highly tiring and there’s a distinct lack of Kleenex over 3500m
Caley_Red

Post by Caley_Red »

HKCJ wrote:
kiwigreg369 wrote:
Good reads.
Ah ok then the hangovers probably don’t apply. Masturbating at altitude is highly tiring and there’s a distinct lack of Kleenex over 3500m
I'd give the hash a miss in that case as well :lol:
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

kiwigreg369 wrote:
Good reads.
And avoid drinking the local water at all costs. I was pretty careful and fine whilst trekking but once back in Pokhara I got careless, not sure how, maybe just brushing my teeth using tap water instead of bottled water. Anyway it resulted in a bout of giardia. x( Pretty unpleasant! :thumbdown:
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

The trail from Besisahar to Tal was over run when they constructed the road but some dedicated work has seen the trail reinstated on the other side of the valley, over the river... from Bahundunda onwards it's ok walking. I went through there in 2014 and we weren't bothered by traffic until we'd got up to Danakyu.

It could well be worse now, progress can be pretty rapid with the roads and I met some Germans on the Everest trek in 2016 who had sworn off going anywhere near the Annapurna region after many years of repeated trips because of it.
J Man

Post by J Man »

I missed my stop on the train once when drunk and had to walk from Otahuhu to Mt Wellington.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Okay, not quite long distance but doing the Snowdon horseshoe this weekend and for a change the weather looks like I might be able to see something from the summit.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

Seneca of the Night wrote:Ultralight gear list. Anyone is takes more stuff than this is ghey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-coZM7 ... ySZ4AaABAg

Try getting away with that in mid June in Scotland when it starts snowing. I always carry way too much stuff (am usually around 13-15kg for a week away) but I'd much rather have it than not. A kindle for example is a necessity for me. I have made a few concessions over the years.. I've gone from a Trangia to a Jetboil which has made quite a difference.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

danny_fitz wrote:Okay, not quite long distance but doing the Snowdon horseshoe this weekend and for a change the weather looks like I might be able to see something from the summit.
About 12k and between 5 and 6 hours if I remember correctly.
The views if clear are spectacular. Wouldn't want to do it in icy or windy conditions mind you
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

danny_fitz wrote:Okay, not quite long distance but doing the Snowdon horseshoe this weekend and for a change the weather looks like I might be able to see something from the summit.
Crib goch's no fun if you can see and it's not snowing.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

I'm doing the Yorkshire three peaks on Saturday. On my stag do so likely dressed as a gimp after a Friday night out in Blackpool. I'm feckin terrified.
Rossco

Post by Rossco »

Off for a stroll down the Speyside way in a couple of weeks. Good excuse to work through the Whiskies in the Craigellachie Hotel and pop into as many distillery’s as we can muster.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

HKCJ wrote:I'm doing the Yorkshire three peaks on Saturday. On my stag do so likely dressed as a gimp after a Friday night out in Blackpool. I'm feckin terrified.
Jesus, your poor head.

That's a decent day's walk when sober
Salix

Post by Salix »

Walked from Dinas to Corwen across the Aran and Berwyn mountains. Great walk.
frillage

Post by frillage »

HKCJ wrote:I'm doing the Yorkshire three peaks on Saturday. On my stag do so likely dressed as a gimp after a Friday night out in Blackpool. I'm feckin terrified.
which way walking?

if can time it right get the train. It feels and sounds like a cheat, in reality you just miss out a boring flat slog.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

SaintK wrote:
About 12k and between 5 and 6 hours if I remember correctly.
The views if clear are spectacular. Wouldn't want to do it in icy or windy conditions mind you
I was at school in that neck of the woods so have spent years scrambling all over Snowdonia in all conditions, character building and all that! Will have the wife in tow so hopefully conditions will stay nice. Will try and sneak Tryfan on Sunday morning if I am not too hungover.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

frillage wrote:
which way walking?

if can time it right get the train. It feels and sounds like a cheat, in reality you just miss out a boring flat slog.
HH - and I have a feeling a mutual Friend of ours will very much want to take his revenge after his stag in Thailand a few years back. :(

I have no idea to be honest.. best man is in charge of it all. Half the group will probably stay in the pub. I think we have a coach so maybe we are missing out the slog by taking he coach.
frillage

Post by frillage »

HKCJ wrote:
frillage wrote:
which way walking?

HH - and I have a feeling a mutual Friend of ours will very much want to take his revenge after his stag in Thailand a few years back. :(

I have no idea to be honest.. best man is in charge of it all. Half the group will probably stay in the pub. I think we have a coach so maybe we are missing out the slog by taking he coach.
Would advise missing it, unless the distance walked and time do it in is relevant to the group. Would really say pull a cramp just after pen-y-Ghent with best man, send the rest ahead saying you will catch up on the road to Whernside you just need to stretch it. Jump a train and be sitting at the foot of Whernside smoking a fag and drinking a beer by time the rest get there (You would need to confirm traintimes they don’t run all time, think it is a spur off the settle Carlisle railway iirc, but think peak summer they run)

There are 2 ways, but Pen-y-Gent, Whernside, Ingleborough definitely the better way.
The short sharp bounce up P-y-G will blow cobwebs away and gets the slog between there and Whernside out way early in day if you do walk it.
If you Start up ingleborough and it’s a long slow tramp up the first peak, but that is a nice gentle descent to finish with to take in scenery the other way.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

happyhooker wrote:
Despite having lived one Mountain along, I've never actually done it due to the weather not cooperating on days I climbed

The last time I was there, my ankle was still to weak to risk it

:blush:
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

HKCJ wrote:
frillage wrote:
which way walking?

Oh you poor cûnt. Mike will make you suffer.

Say hi from me
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

He did indeed make me suffer over the course of the weekend. Only ended up doing one peak though in the end as we actually had to drive from Blackpool then when we got there it was some 3 Peaks charity event so there was literally hundreds of other walkers and not exactly the peace and solitude we were after. Managed a decent amount of Jura on the way round but declined the offer of doing a yard in the Old Hill Inn. I'm gonna sound like the Harry Enfield character who says everything is better in Scotland but there is no doubt that our countryside makes those wee English hills look pretty piddly.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Despite having lived one Mountain along, I've never actually done it due to the weather not cooperating on days I climbed

It was carnage in the mountains this weekend with progress even along Crib Goch being painfully slow due to sheer numbers. The summit of Snowdon was like the sermon on the mount, there were hundreds of people, mostly 'charadee' walkers clogging up the place and flying drones all over the place. There would have been more solitude at Liverpool St station on Monday morning.
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

sounds like you had a similar experience to us Danny. I'm not knocking these charity walkers, good for them getting out and all that but fk me some of them were hilarious they take it so seriously. Energy gels, putting compeeds on blisters like they were doing the MDS, stopping every few kms.. I mean its not even a marathon.. and you're walking. Think they were a bit annoyed as our stag group dressed as Snow White and dwarves overtook most of them swigging cans of Asahi.

Anyway I shall stick to walking up here in future. Even in touristy areas like Glencoe you never get scenes like that.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

danny_fitz wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

It was carnage in the mountains this weekend with progress even along Crib Goch being painfully slow due to sheer numbers. The summit of Snowdon was like the sermon on the mount, there were hundreds of people, mostly 'charadee' walkers clogging up the place and flying drones all over the place. There would have been more solitude at Liverpool St station on Monday morning.
Snowdon is a pain nowadays unless it's poor weather (which I quite enjoy)

Did you manage tryfan? Cader Idris was quite empty last time I went up it.

But yeah, hkcj the peaks and certain of the wainrights are often too busy for fun nowadays
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

HKCJ wrote:sounds like you had a similar experience to us Danny. I'm not knocking these charity walkers, good for them getting out and all that but fk me some of them were hilarious they take it so seriously. Energy gels, putting compeeds on blisters like they were doing the MDS, stopping every few kms.. I mean its not even a marathon.. and you're walking. Think they were a bit annoyed as our stag group dressed as Snow White and dwarves overtook most of them swigging cans of Asahi.

Anyway I shall stick to walking up here in future. Even in touristy areas like Glencoe you never get scenes like that.
I ended up picking up about a dozen of those empty energy gel packs off the path, scumbags.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

happyhooker wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Snowdon is a pain nowadays unless it's poor weather (which I quite enjoy)

Did you manage tryfan? Cader Idris was quite empty last time I went up it.

But yeah, hkcj the peaks and certain of the wainrights are often too busy for fun nowadays
We had Tryfan pencilled in for Sunday but the wife was stiff as board after the horseshoe and didn't fancy it which was a shame.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

danny_fitz wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Where do you go to school? Friars?

Mate of mine just did a charity thing - up and down 6 of the paths in 12 hours

He's nuts
slick

Post by slick »

HKCJ wrote:Currently lying in my tent with the rain pissing down and forecast to rain all day. A small price to pay however for yesterday which was the best days hike I think I’ve ever done. After an initialeasy 15k warm up on Thursday around Rubha Hunish where we got soaked we had far too many beers in the Flodigarry Hotel and set off late at about 9am.. walked the entire Trotternish ridge with a couple of stops on the way and barely a cloud in the sky. The views were just incredible. Has to be the best day of hiking you can do if you get good weather. Quite a few tourists around the Quiraing but once we were past that we didn’t see a soul. Saw a golden eagle and a sea eagle cruising around. Took a detour off to get a better view of Old Man of Storr. Got to campsite in Portree too exhausted to go for dinner.. the Garmin says 4500 calories and 37k so am off for a massive fcuking fry up.
HKCJ, I meant to ask you a bit more about this. I remember you saying earlier that you were more of a hiking man than a balancing on one toe across a tiny ridge type. Was this not fairly brutal in places? After my experience on Bidean (not enjoying some of the heights) I've decided not to put myself through that all again if I can avoid it but obviously still want to get up the hills.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Where do you go to school? Friars?

Mate of mine just did a charity thing - up and down 6 of the paths in 12 hours

He's nuts
St Davids in Llandudno, so spent my formative years crawling around in caves, multi pitch climbing, canoeing, sailing and generally 'enjoying' the outdoors. In hindsight it was mental what the staff were getting us to do in the mountains in the middle of winter, sleeping in snowholes and iceaxe work, all character building I guess.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

HKCJ wrote:. the Garmin says 4500 calories and 37k so am off for a massive fcuking fry up.
[/quote]

That the problem with 'calories burned' measurements , I use it as a target for how much I can eat and drink afterwards. Burned 5300 calories at Reading the regatta the other week which roughly translated into a very large curry and a skinful of pints!
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

danny_fitz wrote:
St Davids in Llandudno, so spent my formative years crawling around in caves, multi pitch climbing, canoeing, sailing and generally 'enjoying' the outdoors. In hindsight it was mental what the staff were getting us to do in the mountains in the middle of winter, sleeping in snowholes and iceaxe work, all character building I guess.
Ah, Clwyd then :lol:

Yep - we used to go into the old Copper mines without supervision :? :shock:

Great place as a teenager though
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

slick wrote:
HKCJ wrote:Currently lying in my tent with the rain pissing down and forecast to rain all day. A small price to pay however for yesterday which was the best days hike I think I’ve ever done. After an initialeasy 15k warm up on Thursday around Rubha Hunish where we got soaked we had far too many beers in the Flodigarry Hotel and set off late at about 9am.. walked the entire Trotternish ridge with a couple of stops on the way and barely a cloud in the sky. The views were just incredible. Has to be the best day of hiking you can do if you get good weather. Quite a few tourists around the Quiraing but once we were past that we didn’t see a soul. Saw a golden eagle and a sea eagle cruising around. Took a detour off to get a better view of Old Man of Storr. Got to campsite in Portree too exhausted to go for dinner.. the Garmin says 4500 calories and 37k so am off for a massive fcuking fry up.
HKCJ, I meant to ask you a bit more about this. I remember you saying earlier that you were more of a hiking man than a balancing on one toe across a tiny ridge type. Was this not fairly brutal in places? After my experience on Bidean (not enjoying some of the heights) I've decided not to put myself through that all again if I can avoid it but obviously still want to get up the hills.

No it was fine. Trotternish ridge is a different beast to the Cuillin ridge. I mean my mate was going right up to the cliff edges and leaning right over whilst I crawled up to them on my hands and knees to have a peak. I’m not great with ledges but I guess I could be worse. With the trotternish ridge there is only a drop on one side so you can stay quite a way from it easily enough. As far as I know the only really tricky bit is the ‘Bad Step’ on the trail which you can see videos of online. I wouldn’t fancy doing that when it’s wet but you can easily take an alternative route to avoid it like we did. Oh there was a pretty daunting couple of km just after the Camasunary bothy if you are walking South. It is a coastal path and was pretty scary in places but thankfully it was only for half an hour. The vast majority of the trail you are walking through glens, forest or can avoid the ledges.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Well managed to get to the top of Grand Paradiso with Mrs Fitz which was pretty cool. Sadly had to sack in my Mt blanc plans as conditions are awful at the moment due to the current heatwave. 0 degrees at 5000m :?