POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

All things Rugby
zt1903

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-Already making America Great Again!

Post by zt1903 »

Deadtigers wrote:
zt1903 wrote:
Deadtigers wrote:Trump and the GOP have been on a mission to discredit Mueller's investigation and now that they can't get Mueller they are attacking his staff and their possible partisan nature. All of this is to reach out to Trump's 35 percent which forms their base and tell them the truth discovered by Mueller is not really the truth, it is a smear campaign. It is working as we can see Trumpkins on here.

I see the house Democrats are pushing back and demanding answers from Rosenstein as to why the texts from the agent kicked out by Mueller were made public.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/ ... ats-297737

The speed at which it happened broke rules and precedents but TrumpCo don't care they just want to taint the whole investigation. And the Dems are now going after the political allegiance of those that worked under Comey when he investigated Clinton as lot of those pushing the issue where Republican, which most of the FBI are.

Finally, people have to understand that for a lot of these agents there are human beings not robots. When the FBI went after Clinton and the server, the motivation for a lot of Agents was protocol. Those agents know that if they accidentally took a confidential file home, they would have been in for a world of hurt. So the actions of Clinton really bothered them, let alone the Stern words being here only Punishment. No we apply this Trump and you have Jared breaking every security clearance rule in the book and nothing happens. I can't find the Politico article but it mentioned how some agents feel "Trump says nary a bad word about Putin but insults the FBI at every opportunity." It is hard for Tribalists to understand that not everyone sees things as jaded as they do. Some career service people just want their leaders to operate within the rules (on a basic level) that they have too.
Why is it that you think that only one side is allowed to play politics with this?
Democrats didn't create Comey, nor fired him, nor appointed Mueller, nor is Mueller is a democrat. Defending the nation from Foreign attack use to be a bi-partisan thing. How are they playing politics with this? All they are trying to do is what they did when it was Clinton (both times), let this thing play out.
That’s rather selective reading of the situation. The whole Russia narrative is a Democrat talking point amplified by a complicit media. The investigation has its roots in an outgoing President playing politics with Intelligence.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

zt1903 wrote:
Deadtigers wrote:
zt1903 wrote:
Deadtigers wrote:Trump and the GOP have been on a mission to discredit Mueller's investigation and now that they can't get Mueller they are attacking his staff and their possible partisan nature. All of this is to reach out to Trump's 35 percent which forms their base and tell them the truth discovered by Mueller is not really the truth, it is a smear campaign. It is working as we can see Trumpkins on here.

I see the house Democrats are pushing back and demanding answers from Rosenstein as to why the texts from the agent kicked out by Mueller were made public.

The speed at which it happened broke rules and precedents but TrumpCo don't care they just want to taint the whole investigation. And the Dems are now going after the political allegiance of those that worked under Comey when he investigated Clinton as lot of those pushing the issue where Republican, which most of the FBI are.

Finally, people have to understand that for a lot of these agents there are human beings not robots. When the FBI went after Clinton and the server, the motivation for a lot of Agents was protocol. Those agents know that if they accidentally took a confidential file home, they would have been in for a world of hurt. So the actions of Clinton really bothered them, let alone the Stern words being here only Punishment. No we apply this Trump and you have Jared breaking every security clearance rule in the book and nothing happens. I can't find the Politico article but it mentioned how some agents feel "Trump says nary a bad word about Putin but insults the FBI at every opportunity." It is hard for Tribalists to understand that not everyone sees things as jaded as they do. Some career service people just want their leaders to operate within the rules (on a basic level) that they have too.
Why is it that you think that only one side is allowed to play politics with this?
Democrats didn't create Comey, nor fired him, nor appointed Mueller, nor is Mueller is a democrat. Defending the nation from Foreign attack use to be a bi-partisan thing. How are they playing politics with this? All they are trying to do is what they did when it was Clinton (both times), let this thing play out.
That’s rather selective reading of the situation. The whole Russia narrative is a Democrat talking point amplified by a complicit media. The investigation has its roots in an outgoing President playing politics with Intelligence.
Even for you, that is a totally facile summary of the situation, something one would expect from Hannity or Fox and Friends.
zt1903

Post by zt1903 »

The whole thing is facile.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Interesting thread.
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

Interesting - the continued barrage of personal .. touches ... shall we say, ? Emanating from the anti-Trumpers.

Always ... especially when the pro-Trumpers (or neutrals) post anything that just MIGHT be seen as an advantage to Trump.

People are very competitive, even when it is not their president or country.
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

Wilson's Toffee wrote:Image
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Wilson's Toffee wrote:Interesting - the continued barrage of personal .. touches ... shall we say, ? Emanating from the anti-Trumpers.

Always ... especially when the pro-Trumpers (or neutrals) post anything that just MIGHT be seen as an advantage to Trump.

Do you know what that word means?
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Big Nipper wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:Image
:lol:
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

zt1903 wrote:The whole thing is facile.
I disagree. It is a totally new world of constantly evolving communication media, of electorate and representative interface, of technology driven innovation in methods of balloting, advertising and information dissemination. This shit is real.
Santa

Post by Santa »

It's not facile. Apart from the possibility that Russia interfered with the US election in material way, and that has not been demonstrated to date, there is the whole point about Meuller's remit, aims and potential impact.

Now I don't care whether Russia did or didn't. I don't see that as significant in any way at all. I'm morw interested in Meuller's ability to turn the central point of if his investigation into something new through the extraordinary breadth of his mandate. The reason I care about that is that if it goes down a certain path, namely impeachment of Trump, then there may be very, very grave consequences.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Flockwitt wrote:
I disagree. It is a totally new world of constantly evolving communication media, of electorate and representative interface, of technology driven innovation in methods of balloting, advertising and information dissemination. This shit is real.
But nobody knows if it is effective or how effective it is. That's a fact.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Wilson's Toffee wrote:Interesting - the continued barrage of personal .. touches ... shall we say, ? Emanating from the anti-Trumpers.

I can cop it. I went a little troppo in response to some flat out bollocks from Turbogoat and some squealing about an essentially impactless ban from the usual suspects. Let's call it replying in kind. Not terribly mature but a tiny bit amusing.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Santa wrote:
It's not facile. Apart from the possibility that Russia interfered with the US election in material way, and that has not been demonstrated to date, there is the whole point about Meuller's remit, aims and potential impact.

Now I don't care whether Russia did or didn't. I don't see that as significant in any way at all. I'm morw interested in Meuller's ability to turn the central point of if his investigation into something new through the extraordinary breadth of his mandate. The reason I care about that is that if it goes down a certain path, namely impeachment of Trump, then there may be very, very grave consequences.
I don’t think you need worry about that. The Republican-controlled Congress is not going to impeach him unless the evidence is overwhelming, which it won’t be.
Santa

Post by Santa »

shanky wrote:
Santa wrote:

I don’t think you need worry about that. The Republican-controlled Congress is not going to impeach him unless the evidence is overwhelming, which it won’t be.
I have no certainty about tgese things any more. Then there's also the precedent the investigation set.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Santa wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:
But nobody knows if it is effective or how effective it is. That's a fact.
Sure, but you have to at least know what is going on. Just for an example, what were the Russians were attempting to achieve with their ads? It could be presented as a minor action in the bigger picture, with the megabucks spent by the superpacs, but why then did they spend the money at all? For another example, I would be very surprised if Bannon hasn't seen himself as being the kingmaker in the Trump election win. True or not the new phenomena of social media polarizing is outright scary from at least my personal point of view. There have been a lot of instructive viewpoints behind the facile political point scoring, and more importantly, what I think a lot of the current political commentators are missing, insight into what might happen in the future.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Santa wrote:
shanky wrote:
Santa wrote:

I have no certainty about tgese things any more. Then there's also the precedent the investigation set.

There’s been 3 impeachment proceedings against sitting Presidents. Every single one of them was fuelled and propelled by politics.

The precedent was well and truly already set.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

zt1903 wrote:
Deadtigers wrote:
zt1903 wrote:

I was under the impression that it was a Republican talking point that the Democrats mocked until they acknowledged that, okay, yeah, there's something wrong here. Weird how, once they did, suddenly it became a Democrat talking point which the Republicans outright deny
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

RuggaBugga wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
Santa wrote:Do you guys reckon the budget for Zika shit will have to roll through all the evidence tabout Zika thereby having to not mention the word fetus multiple times or do you think they could just refer to the Zika Response Appropriations Act 2016 which specifically allocates cash to the CDC for Zika shit? Like it did in the 2017 operations plan I linked to earlier?
Christ you're a pointless cunt.
Seriously, what the fck is wrong with you? What is with these ridiculous outburts that you vomit out every so often. I see from another thread that you are only in your late 30s. Disturbing anger from someone so young.
:roll:

It's annoying as I am interested in the topics this thread explores but don't really have the experience or expertise to comment it in any great depth. Therefore I generally refrain although I do read the lot.

Having to wade through pages of that irredeemable bore pointlessly derailing it pisses me off. So while it may seem like the outburst is coming from nowhere it is actually a product of being driven to distraction by a pointless twat with far to high an opinion of both his own intellect and his debating skill.

Seriously what in the fudge was the point of all of that?

Hope that helps.
I feel very much the same way, for much the same reasons.

I am informed (on another thread, by someone who has presumably met him) that Santa is is an intelligent man with an academic pedigree, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence of that on this thread.

He seems to be preoccupied in presenting snappy, trite, one-line drivel, presumably in the hope of establishing himself a following on here.

Like you, I use this thread to keep abreast of what Trump and his various protagonists are up to, but, also like you, I don't claim to have any in depth knowledge of American politics.

Speaking of which, what's happened to Donger?
Santa

Post by Santa »

shanky wrote:
Santa wrote:
shanky wrote:
Santa wrote:

There’s been 3 impeachment proceedings against sitting Presidents. Every single one of them was fuelled and propelled by politics.

The precedent was well and truly already set.
Im talking about 2 separate but potentially sequential things:
1. A potentially limitless investigation based on a shonky case and that that lack of limits turns into;
2. An impeachment in a context of a very volatile political and cultural l division in the country.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

shanky wrote:
Santa wrote:

I wouldn't be totally sure about that, the odds favour no impeachment I agree. What I think is the bigger issue though which is not in Santa's post is the firing of Comey. That was the tipping point, not the Russian investigation per se. You don't just arbitrarily get rid of your nation's head of criminal oversight. The post is supposed to be politically neutral and the individuals serve multiple different presidents without issue. By all standards of due process just what went on there needs to be understood and brought to light. That's why Mueller was given his broad brief, such that obstruction of justice of any sort could be uncovered... and Trump has nobody to blame for whatever may get revealed but himself.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Trump as Justinian, Trump as Commodus

What’s next? Trump as Captain Mainwaring?
Santa

Post by Santa »

Rinkals wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
Santa wrote:Do you guys reckon the budget for Zika shit will have to roll through all the evidence tabout Zika thereby having to not mention the word fetus multiple times or do you think they could just refer to the Zika Response Appropriations Act 2016 which specifically allocates cash to the CDC for Zika shit? Like it did in the 2017 operations plan I linked to earlier?
Christ you're a pointless cunt.
Seriously, what the fck is wrong with you? What is with these ridiculous outburts that you vomit out every so often. I see from another thread that you are only in your late 30s. Disturbing anger from someone so young.

It's annoying as I am interested in the topics this thread explores but don't really have the experience or expertise to comment it in any great depth. Therefore I generally refrain although I do read the lot.

Having to wade through pages of that irredeemable bore pointlessly derailing it pisses me off. So while it may seem like the outburst is coming from nowhere it is actually a product of being driven to distraction by a pointless twat with far to high an opinion of both his own intellect and his debating skill.

Hope that helps.

I am informed (on another thread, by someone who has presumably met him) that Santa is is an intelligent man with an academic pedigree, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence of that on this thread.

He seems to be preoccupied in presenting snappy, trite, one-line drivel, presumably in the hope of establishing himself a following on here.

Like you, I use this thread to keep abreast of what Trump and his various protagonists are up to, but, also like you, I don't claim to have any in depth knowledge of American politics.

Nobody cares bro.
Santa

Post by Santa »

shanky wrote:Trump as Justinian, Trump as Commodus

Trump is too 'of the people' for that.
zt1903

Post by zt1903 »

Don’t panic!
shanky

Post by shanky »

Flockwitt wrote:
shanky wrote:
Santa wrote:

I wouldn't be totally sure about that, the odds favour no impeachment I agree. What I think is the bigger issue though which is not in Santa's post is the firing of Comey. That was the tipping point, not the Russian investigation per se. You don't just arbitrarily get rid of your nation's head of criminal oversight. The post is supposed to be politically neutral and the individuals serve multiple different presidents without issue. By all standards of due process just what went on there needs to be understood and brought to light. That's why Mueller was given his broad brief, such that obstruction of justice of any sort could be uncovered... and Trump has nobody to blame for whatever may get revealed but himself.

Fair enough. Let’s see what happens. I’ve got popcorn in. :thumbup:
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

Santa wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote: Christ you're a pointless cunt.

Hope that helps.

Nobody cares bro.
And you speak for them, of course.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

So why is everyone in the trump circle lying their f**king teeth off about contacts with the Russians?

Nothing facile about that
penguin

Post by penguin »

zt1903 wrote:

Don’t panic!
What is your name?

Don't tell him Kushner.
zt1903

Post by zt1903 »

Straight question.

In what way did the Russian Government interfere with the US election in 2016?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

zt1903 wrote:Straight question.

I believe we're still waiting for the result of that investigation, aren't we?
shanky

Post by shanky »

guy smiley wrote:

Investigation?

Witch-hunt
Nothing burger
Coup
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

the US intelligence services agree that there was interference but the president doesn’t seem to give two fucks about the conclusions of his own intelligence services. So we have Mueller investigating the entire issue.

Shame trumps people seem capable of only one thing: concealing, lying ab Tn
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

shanky wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

Investigation?

Witch-hunt
Nothing burger
Coup
I do like me some of them double extra nothing burgers in 4D.
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

An affirmed HRC supporter writing for NYTimes praising DJ Trump's foreign policy efforts. ....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/12 ... redit.html
Douthat ended the article: “So very provisionally, credit belongs where it’s due — to our soldiers and diplomats, yes, but to our president as well.”

4D chess seems to be winning ...
Stu Wilsons gloves

Post by Stu Wilsons gloves »

Speaking of interfering with investigations in the U.S. St Barry Obama, possibly the greatest president of all time, may have played loose and fast with a joint DEA/CIA investigation into Hezbollah's finances and links to international crime and drug syndicates. All in the name of getting his splendidly ineffective Iran nuclear deal over the line.

This from well known right-wing propaganda organ Politico: https://www.politico.com/interactives/2 ... stigation/
zt1903

Post by zt1903 »

So just catching up through some stuff I’d bookmarked.

This from Scott Adams 6 months ago.
Prior to President Trump’s inauguration, I predicted a coming story arc in three acts. Act one involved mass protests in the streets because Hillary Clinton’s campaign had successfully branded Trump as the next Hitler. Sure enough, we saw mass protests by anti-Trumpers who legitimately and honestly believed the country had just elected the next Hitler. I predicted that the Hitler phase would evaporate by summer for lack of supporting evidence. That happened.

I also predicted the anti-Trumpers would modify their attack from “Hitler” to “incompetent,” and that phase would last the summer. That happened too. The president’s critics called him incompetent and said the White House was in “chaos.” There were plenty of leaks, fake news, and even true stories to support that narrative, as I expected. Every anti-Trump news outlet, and even some that supported him started using “chaos” to describe the situation.

Now comes the fun part.

I predicted that the end of this three-part story would involve President Trump’s critics complaining that indeed he was “effective, but we don’t like it.” Or words to that effect. I based that prediction on the assumption he would get some big wins by the end of the year and it would no longer make sense to question his effectiveness, only his policy choices.
Are we there yet?
houtkabouter

Post by houtkabouter »

Only in your head.
zt1903

Post by zt1903 »

Isn’t the tax reform stuff a perfect example of effective but we don’t like it?
penguin

Post by penguin »

houtkabouter wrote:Only in your head.
To be fair he did finally get something substantial through in tax reform. I'm not sure we can take it as a sign of effectiveness...with he balance of power with the republicans, and this tax reform in favour of their donors basically being what the republicans are paid for, I think any republican president could have got this through.

All Trump had to do was touch it down for the try. I'm still not convinced that makes him an international class right winger.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

zt1903 wrote:So just catching up through some stuff I’d bookmarked.

This from Scott Adams 6 months ago.
Prior to President Trump’s inauguration, I predicted a coming story arc in three acts. Act one involved mass protests in the streets because Hillary Clinton’s campaign had successfully branded Trump as the next Hitler. Sure enough, we saw mass protests by anti-Trumpers who legitimately and honestly believed the country had just elected the next Hitler. I predicted that the Hitler phase would evaporate by summer for lack of supporting evidence. That happened.

I also predicted the anti-Trumpers would modify their attack from “Hitler” to “incompetent,” and that phase would last the summer. That happened too. The president’s critics called him incompetent and said the White House was in “chaos.” There were plenty of leaks, fake news, and even true stories to support that narrative, as I expected. Every anti-Trump news outlet, and even some that supported him started using “chaos” to describe the situation.

Now comes the fun part.

I predicted that the end of this three-part story would involve President Trump’s critics complaining that indeed he was “effective, but we don’t like it.” Or words to that effect. I based that prediction on the assumption he would get some big wins by the end of the year and it would no longer make sense to question his effectiveness, only his policy choices.
Are we there yet?
I don’t know about you, but I like to keep up with Dilbert creator / proto-Trumpkin Scott Adams.

Adams likes to brag about how awesome his political predictions are because he wishcasted Donald Trump to the Republican nomination early on. And good for him!

But just because you make one correct prediction, you probably shouldn’t go getting chesty all over the internet.

Here, for instance, is another prediction Adams made recently that didn’t work out so great:

“I’ve been watching the Democratic National Convention and wondering if this will be the first time in history that we see a candidate’s poll numbers plunge after a convention.”

Oh? Oh.

See, Adams didn’t learn his lesson about predicting from the Republican convention, when he said that Trump’s convention speech “was an A-” that “on a strategic level” “was a strong performance.” Such a strategically strong performance that Trump became the first candidate to come out of his convention speech with people telling pollsters that they’re less likely to vote for him!

But here’s the thing: Adams doesn’t always get things wrong. Because he likes to cover himself with lots of predictions:

February 22, 2016: “To solve for scary, Trump needs Mark Cuban as his running mate.”

Oh boy. That’s a tall order. Because it turned out that not only did Trump not get Cuban as his running mate–Cuban eventually endorsed Clinton. Not that that mattered, because it turned out that Trump didn’t need Cuban at all . . .

April 26, 2016: “By October you will hear that Trump is “running unopposed” for all practical purposes.”

“Running unopposed”? Wow! I haven’t seen that #hottake yet, but in fairness, it isn’t October yet, either. So Adams kept trucking into:

May 19, 2016: “I’m teeming with confirmation bias, but from my kitchen counter, I don’t see how it can go any direction but a Trump landslide from here. . . .”

“Paul Manafort, Trump’s campaign manager, knows how to win. The Clinton campaign doesn’t show the same level of talent, at least in terms of persuasion.”

Got that? Adams “didn’t see how” it could be possible go in any direction other than a Trump landslide–not possible!–because the Clinton campaign team just blows. Well, here we are five weeks later and:

June 28, 2016: “For months I have been saying mostly good things in this blog about Trump’s powers of persuasion, and mostly bad things about how the Clinton campaign does persuasion. And yet Clinton has a solid lead in the polls, assuming the polls are accurate. How can that be? The quick answer is that Clinton’s side is totally winning the persuasion battle.”

But, you see, Adams wasn’t contradicting himself because he was crediting Clinton’s “side” as opposed to her “campaign.” So don’t worry. He’s totally got a handle on the politicky stuff. Nothing he couldn’t master in an hour.

But then he went out with a post on June 28 and dropped a bombshell:

“The Clinton team won the month of June. And unless something changes, Clinton will saunter to an easy victory in November.”

I know what you’re thinking: Wait. What? From Trump “Running unopposed” to I “don’t see how it can go in any direction but a landslide” to “Clinton will saunter to an easy victory in November”? Wtf?

Don’t worry, though. Dilbert’s here to explain: “I now update my prediction of a Trump landslide to say that if he doesn’t give a speech on the topic of racism – to neutralize the crazy racist label – he loses.”

Not confused enough? Adams wasn’t done yet: “If [Trump] makes a case for the value of American diversity – and does it persuasively – he wins in a landslide.”

That’s a . . . lot of predictions. And surely one of them will work out.

Unless, of course, Clinton wins a 4- to 7-point victory because we haven’t had a presidential landslide since 1984–for complicated political and demographic reasons that someone who studied politics for, say, an hour and a half, might understand.

If you ranked all the surprises of 2016, right up near the top would be that the guy who draws Dilbert is a wannabe-PUA herb.