ex-POTUS DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

All things Rugby
Rinkals

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Rinkals »

Mr Mike wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
Rinkals wrote:My point is that Trump has shown that the checks-and-balances are completely ineffectual and the President can basically do what he likes.
Little heavy on the eggs there, but one of the good things about the last three years is a more robust (and very overdue) discussion about the extent and nature of Article 2 powers and reassessing things like the 2001 AUMF.
The worst thing about the last three years is they show just how much Trump could rip through the "checks and balances" if he gets another 4 years.

I see Putins constitutional reform to let him basically be president for as long as the fuck he wants has gone swimmingly
Which checks and balances do you think are most under threat under a Trump second term? Rinks assumed control of both houses in his scenario, are you working off the same assumption or talking with just the Presidency and the Senate?
Obviously without control of the Senate, Trump would probably have been impeached. And if he hadn't lost control of Congress, then the impeachment then it would never have got that far in the first place. Congress also controls the purse strings.

The judiciary is just a trip down the steps for Justice Ginsberg from being sorted, too.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Control of the Senate wouldn’t have changed things unless the Democrats had 2/3rds, and if they did then they would have done a more complete job of the House inquiry.

The Judiciary have continued very professionally, as shown in the Census and DACA cases, and in multiple Federal level cases which haven’t been appealed.

BTW, Roberts was in hospital recently. That should be enough to put a shiver down most people’s spine.

Current talk is Thomas and/or Alito may go over the summer.

TLDR, chillax.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

piquant wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:True, but is a bit like blaming the person who knocked over a candle for your house burning down because you couldn't be bothered getting a fire extinguisher or even a pot full of water while it was still just smouldering on the carpet.
As long as you stress it was a really slow burn wherein he had months to get that fire extinguisher and still did nowt, actually it's not just that, other people offered to get the fire extinguisher and he ordered them to do nothing also
And it's the fault of the guy who owned the house years ago.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Uncle Fester wrote:
piquant wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:True, but is a bit like blaming the person who knocked over a candle for your house burning down because you couldn't be bothered getting a fire extinguisher or even a pot full of water while it was still just smouldering on the carpet.
As long as you stress it was a really slow burn wherein he had months to get that fire extinguisher and still did nowt, actually it's not just that, other people offered to get the fire extinguisher and he ordered them to do nothing also
And it's the fault of the guy who owned the house years ago.
More than that. The bloke who owned the house years ago had installed fire extinguishers, but you threw them out.
merry!

Post by merry! »

sounds like the bloke wants to build a new house.

any building experience?
Sawtooth the Beaver

Post by Sawtooth the Beaver »

Plenty, but for some strange reason my suppliers get upset when they don't get paid.

Baffling.
piquant

Post by piquant »

does not paying contractors and suppliers going bankrupt and then using those corporate losses to offset personal tax liability count as building experience? If not does being paid to have one's name tastefully displayed on a property someone else built count?
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

I see two days ago the USA had their highest number of deaths in one day for a month. Yet Trump is still claiming things are getting better. Just goes to show when it comes to the health of the nation and Trumps reelection bid their is no doubt what comes first.
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

Anonymous. wrote:I see two days ago the USA had their highest number of deaths in one day for a month. Yet Trump is still claiming things are getting better. Just goes to show when it comes to the health of the nation and Trumps reelection bid their is no doubt what comes first.
"What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening".
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Sawtooth the Beaver wrote:Grapplepussy?
:lol:

Crude but effective.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

So apparently the US is a model for the rest of the world for how to handle Covid-19.

Post by 4071 »

Fat Old Git wrote:So apparently the US is a model for the rest of the world for how to handle Covid-19.
Is he aware that we are generally trying to get rid of covid?

It's not some kind of endangered species that needs protection and support.

Has he simply misunderstood?

Post by 4071 »

Is this a general US elections thread?

Did we get the story about the Mississippi election commissioner who posted on Facebook about her concern that "the blacks" were registering to vote in large numbers, and that she thought "people... have to get involved too."?

This person probably does not think they are racist.

She is an election commissioner who distinguished between 'blacks' and 'people' in a public post, and said she was "concerned" about the blacks registering to vote.

Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

4071 wrote:Is this a general US elections thread?

Did we get the story about the Mississippi election commissioner who posted on Facebook about her concern that "the blacks" were registering to vote in large numbers, and that she thought "people... have to get involved too."?

She is an election commissioner who distinguished between 'blacks' and 'people' in a public post, and said she was "concerned" about the blacks registering to vote.

Outstanding :lol: :lol: :lol:
Waratah

Post by Waratah »

If you've not done so, read Sarah Kendizor's 'Hiding In Plain Sight'. I've a wall in my apartment devoted to non-fiction, am politically well versed, but even while only halfway through Kendizor's book it is possibly the most revelatory book I've read. Kendizor is extremely well-qualified and the book is impeccably annotated.

I've been swiftly disabused of the idea Trump is an accident of the times. While the times have certainly suited him he's been groomed by Russia and deeply entangled in international criminal syndicates for decades. I defy anyone to read it and argue otherwise. It's a stunning read, a must for anyone with even a passing interest in U.S politics and how Trump came to be president.

Do yourselves a favour and read this book.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Waratah wrote:If you've not done so, read Sarah Kendizor's 'Hiding In Plain Sight'. I've a wall in my apartment devoted to non-fiction, am politically well versed
Does your apartment smell of rich mahogany?
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

Mr Mike wrote:
Waratah wrote:If you've not done so, read Sarah Kendizor's 'Hiding In Plain Sight'. I've a wall in my apartment devoted to non-fiction, am politically well versed

I know what you're wondering, and the answer is yes... I do have a nickname for my penis. It's called "The Octogon".
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Fat Old Git wrote:So apparently the US is a model for the rest of the world for how to handle Covid-19.
I mean, that's not completely inaccurate. We see what they're doing to handle it, and make sure not tondo the same.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Sensible Stephen wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:

I know what you're wondering, and the answer is yes... I do have a nickname for my penis. It's called "The Octogon".
WHAMMO!
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

Mr Mike wrote:
Well, as Seneca seems to have jumped ship, there would seem to be a vacancy for a velvet smoking jacketed bibliopihile poring over Nietzsche and Ayn Rand.

As long as he doesn't regurgitate Tucker Carlson at us...
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Rinkals wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
Well, as Seneca seems to have jumped ship, there would seem to be a vacancy for a velvet smoking jacketed bibliopihile poring over Nietzsche and Ayn Rand.

As long as he doesn't regurgitate Tucker Carlson at us...
We need them both.

Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

Need?

I have to say that this thread has been a lot saner since Seneca decamped and is no longer leading the vanguard of bored Trumpistas, whipping them to a spittle-flecked frenzy.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Mr Mike wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
Rinkals wrote:My point is that Trump has shown that the checks-and-balances are completely ineffectual and the President can basically do what he likes.
Little heavy on the eggs there, but one of the good things about the last three years is a more robust (and very overdue) discussion about the extent and nature of Article 2 powers and reassessing things like the 2001 AUMF.
I missed this post. Sorry.

I don't think it is a little heavy on the eggs.

The Mueller Report established that the President is all but above the law and could never be prosecuted as a sitting President and the impeachment trial showed us that, as long as the President controls the Senate, he can never be held to account.

It's only through his own fuckwittery that he lost control of Congress; otherwise he would have been able to do whatever the hell he wanted with impunity.

A more savvy President could do anything he wanted with nothing to stop him or slow him down.

However, I can't see anything changing, even if they do revisit the debate about Presidential powers.
You stand by “completely ineffectual”?
Assassination is pretty effective and what's more, it's final and not controlled by any particular party. Yet.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Rinkals wrote:Need?

I have to say that this thread has been a lot saner since Seneca decamped and is no longer leading the vanguard of bored Trumpistas, whipping them to a spittle-flecked frenzy.
I find it more amusing to see the full spectrum of Trump Derangement Syndrome on display, without that balance it’s simply becomes watching group primal [scream] therapy. Far more entertaining to see the ebb and flow of outrage and smugness from each cohort.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Ted. wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:

The Mueller Report established that the President is all but above the law and could never be prosecuted as a sitting President and the impeachment trial showed us that, as long as the President controls the Senate, he can never be held to account.

It's only through his own fuckwittery that he lost control of Congress; otherwise he would have been able to do whatever the hell he wanted with impunity.

A more savvy President could do anything he wanted with nothing to stop him or slow him down.

However, I can't see anything changing, even if they do revisit the debate about Presidential powers.
Assassination is pretty effective and what's more, it's final and not controlled by any particular party. Yet.
Republicans have a 3-1 lead in the assassinated Presidential stakes.
Waratah

Post by Waratah »

Mr Mike wrote:
No. More like poor mahogany. In fact more like IKEA.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Waratah wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
The full particle board IKEA “Billy” bookshelf experience?
Waratah

Post by Waratah »

Mr Mike wrote:
Waratah wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
Something very similar, yes.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Waratah wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
Waratah wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
I know it well, the political theory and Black American history walls of our non-fiction collection at our house were of the same construction. I had to relocate them when we converted the second library into a private yoga studio, but they survived admirably.

My own non-fiction section is housed in my prized antique handcrafted Indonesian teak twin bookshelves, with one of those delightful sliding ladders to allow me to reach any ostentatiously positioned special edition.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

The Hattiesburg American reports: Welch’s comment caused an uproar Sunday, as screen shots of the comment spread quickly on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Welch said she has received calls and messages from all over the country about the post. … But Welch, who has been the Beat 1 commissioner for 20 years, said although the comment may appear racist, her intent was far from it. “We’ve always in the past had whites really participating in registering to vote. So many people don’t seem to be concerned about (voting).” She said in an interview Monday that she thought she was sending a private message, but the comment was shared publicly on Facebook. “This was an error on my part,” she said. “I was just trying to strike a match under people and get them to vote — to get everybody to vote. This was not intended to be anything.”
https://www.towleroad.com/2020/07/gop-e ... ion-video/

Post by 4071 »

Anonymous. wrote:

The Hattiesburg American reports: Welch’s comment caused an uproar Sunday, as screen shots of the comment spread quickly on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Welch said she has received calls and messages from all over the country about the post. … But Welch, who has been the Beat 1 commissioner for 20 years, said although the comment may appear racist, her intent was far from it. “We’ve always in the past had whites really participating in registering to vote. So many people don’t seem to be concerned about (voting).” She said in an interview Monday that she thought she was sending a private message, but the comment was shared publicly on Facebook. “This was an error on my part,” she said. “I was just trying to strike a match under people and get them to vote — to get everybody to vote. This was not intended to be anything.”
https://www.towleroad.com/2020/07/gop-e ... ion-video/
Well that's helped her case...
So many people don’t seem to be concerned about (voting).”
The blacks are having lots of events for voter registration
Sounds like people ARE concerned about voting.

Unless.... not THOSE people... REAL people...

And:
she thought she was sending a private message, but the comment was shared publicly on Facebook. “This was an error on my part,” she said.
Translation: "I said the quiet part out loud. Oops!"
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

It’s a shocker, I originally thought it was from The Onion.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Waratah wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
Waratah wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
Hello mate.

My wall is full of military history.

We should go boating.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

The blacks must be very annoying to get the whites so wound up
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

Mr Mike wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:

Until you can convince me that the Mueller report or the Impeachment trial had the slightest effect on Trump's behaviour other than to embolden him further, yes; I do.
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

Mr Mike wrote:
Rinkals wrote:Need?

I find it more amusing to see the full spectrum of Trump Derangement Syndrome on display, without that balance it’s simply becomes watching group primal [scream] therapy. Far more entertaining to see the ebb and flow of outrage and smugness from each cohort.
What instances of "Trump Derangement Syndrome" do you see on here?

Frankly any primal screams derive from Trump's own behaviour and not through some hysterical over-reaction as the term implies.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Rinkals wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:

Until you can convince me that the Mueller report or the Impeachment trial had the slightest effect on Trump's behaviour other than to embolden him further, yes; I do.
Ok.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Big day at the Supreme Court today, last three opinions of the term are due including the SDNY and House subpoenas for Trump records.

WAG is that they will uphold the NYSD one and say the House’s legislative purpose was too weak.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

JUST IN: The Supreme Court ruled President Trump is not immune from New York’s subpoena, but prosecutor will not get documents now.
UP NEXT: We're still waiting on a ruling on a second case related to Trump's financial records. That one tackles whether Trump can stop the Democratic-controlled House from getting his financial and banking records from his accounting firm.