Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 2701, 2702, 2703, 2704, 2705, 2706, 2707 ... 2710  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:15 pm 

Big Nipper wrote:
Santa wrote:
I'm thinking that Trumps tweet yesterday about the Suburban Lifestyle Dream could be a huge tweet and the topic could be one of the key election issues. If he hammers that he could get some real traction.

It's certainly more significant than some old nonsense about delaying elections, which he actually doesn't have the power to do.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You really are a thick dipshit

He's not wrong, though.

Trump can't do much about the election being postponed or cancelled. Not right now, anyway. But he can do a lot to campaign on some rather toxic issues. And in this case, his plan to appeal to a certain demographic by promising to stop the blacks and the poors from moving next door is certainly a boldly retro move. Somewhat reminiscent of the old Tory slogan, "If you want a n____r for a neighbour, vote Labour"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:34 pm 

4071 wrote:
Big Nipper wrote:
Santa wrote:
I'm thinking that Trumps tweet yesterday about the Suburban Lifestyle Dream could be a huge tweet and the topic could be one of the key election issues. If he hammers that he could get some real traction.

It's certainly more significant than some old nonsense about delaying elections, which he actually doesn't have the power to do.

He's not wrong, though.

Trump can't do much about the election being postponed or cancelled. Not right now, anyway. But he can do a lot to campaign on some rather toxic issues. And in this case, his plan to appeal to a certain demographic by promising to stop the blacks and the poors from moving next door is certainly a boldly retro move. Somewhat reminiscent of the old Tory slogan, "If you want a n____r for a neighbour, vote Labour"

Thanks mate. :thumbup:

Any way I wonder if it's the kind if thing that wouldn't be picked up in polling very well. What I mean there is that if people are questioned about how they regard Trump's approach they may be unlikely to say it's f**king ace bro: shy racists.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:07 pm 

shanky wrote:
Big Nipper wrote:
Santa wrote:

He honestly is starting to remind me of the ‘Leave Britney alone’ guy

:lol:

I don't think that's the altitude of intellectual elitism he's aiming for, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:32 pm 

Santa wrote:
4071 wrote:
Big Nipper wrote:
Santa wrote:

He's not wrong, though.

Any way I wonder if it's the kind if thing that wouldn't be picked up in polling very well. What I mean there is that if people are questioned about how they regard Trump's approach they may be unlikely to say it's f**king ace bro: shy racists.

The thing is, it’s a 1980s policy for a 2020 election. Minorities have been moving into the suburbs for generations now. People in those neighborhoods haven’t seen their home values go down. He’s trying to appeal to a smaller and smaller demographic slice of the pie.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:19 pm 

DOB wrote:
Santa wrote:
4071 wrote:
Big Nipper wrote:
Santa wrote:

He's not wrong, though.

The thing is, it’s a 1980s policy for a 2020 election. Minorities have been moving into the suburbs for generations now. People in those neighborhoods haven’t seen their home values go down. He’s trying to appeal to a smaller and smaller demographic slice of the pie.

And could someone explain to me how POTUS could control this anyway? Surely if there's any 'lower income' housing planned in a given area, the planning etc only gets to local council level. Hardly think he has any say in that, no?? I'm going with, it was just another stupid tweet for $10.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:35 pm 

Snooze wrote:
And could someone explain to me how POTUS could control this anyway? Surely if there's any 'lower income' housing planned in a given area, the planning etc only gets to local council level. Hardly think he has any say in that, no?? I'm going with, it was just another stupid tweet for $10.

It was another stupid tweet, but in this case he had a point; he rescinded an Obama addition to the Fair Housing Act.

Quote:
In July 2015, HUD promulgated the Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing Rule pursuant to the Fair Housing Act. It requires cities and towns which receive Federal money for any housing or urban development related purpose to examine whether there are any barriers to fair housing, housing patterns or practices that promote bias based on any protected class under the Fair Housing Act, and to create a plan for rectifying fair housing barriers. The intention is to promote equal housing opportunities and level the playing field so that all neighborhoods provide the quality services and amenities that are important for people to live successful lives. Civil rights groups hailed the rule citing decades-long patterns of government-sponsored segregation and discriminatory practices, while conservatives decried it as "social engineering."

It is, of course, not so much a dog whistle, as a wolf-whistle to the racists among the suburban white voters.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:37 pm 

DOB wrote:
Snooze wrote:

It was another stupid tweet, but in this case he had a point; he rescinded an Obama addition to the Fair Housing Act.

Quote:
In July 2015, HUD promulgated the Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing Rule pursuant to the Fair Housing Act. It requires cities and towns which receive Federal money for any housing or urban development related purpose to examine whether there are any barriers to fair housing, housing patterns or practices that promote bias based on any protected class under the Fair Housing Act, and to create a plan for rectifying fair housing barriers. The intention is to promote equal housing opportunities and level the playing field so that all neighborhoods provide the quality services and amenities that are important for people to live successful lives. Civil rights groups hailed the rule citing decades-long patterns of government-sponsored segregation and discriminatory practices, while conservatives decried it as "social engineering."

It is, of course, not so much a dog whistle, as a wolf-whistle to the racists among the suburban white voters.

I don't think it's quite that simple but it is how it will be portrayed. I posted this a few weeks ago.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nation ... burbs/amp/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:52 pm 

Santa wrote:
I don't think it's quite that simple but it is how it will be portrayed. I posted this a few weeks ago.

Quote:
What surprises me is that Biden has actually promised to go much further than AFFH. Biden has embraced Cory Booker’s strategy for ending single-family zoning in the suburbs and creating what you might call “little downtowns” in the suburbs.

He says this like it's a bad thing.

The American suburb, as it exists now, is a classic example of something you would never do today, the way it was done 50, 60, 70 years ago. Vast swaths of tract development that are only liveable by driving a large family car, and have people living a half hour drive and 2 tanks of gas a week away from where they shop, work, go to school, socialize. It's a phenomenally inefficient use of land, it's bad for creating communities, it's uneconomic, and it's poor social engineering. That the Democrats are trying to change this is A Good Thing.

Trying to return large cities to a more sustainable model (like the cities of the early 20th century, like cities across Europe are doing very effectively today) is something positive that Democrats like Booker are trying to get done, and unfortunately the damage wrought by 75 years of Boomer-era planning is going to make it very, very hard to fix.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:59 pm 

DOB wrote:
Santa wrote:

Quote:
What surprises me is that Biden has actually promised to go much further than AFFH. Biden has embraced Cory Booker’s strategy for ending single-family zoning in the suburbs and creating what you might call “little downtowns” in the suburbs.

The American suburb, as it exists now, is a classic example of something you would never do today, the way it was done 50, 60, 70 years ago. Vast swaths of tract development that are only liveable by driving a large family car, and have people living a half hour drive and 2 tanks of gas a week away from where they shop, work, go to school, socialize. It's a phenomenally inefficient use of land, it's bad for creating communities, it's uneconomic, and it's poor social engineering. That the Democrats are trying to change this is A Good Thing.

Trying to return large cities to a more sustainable model (like the cities of the early 20th century, like cities across Europe are doing very effectively today) is something positive that Democrats like Booker are trying to get done, and unfortunately the damage wrought by 75 years of Boomer-era planning is going to make it very, very hard to fix.

Is it ok for some people to disagree and not be racist?

Also at least you're agreeing that it is social engineering. Is it OK for people to not want to be socially engineered or to have local control over their area?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:12 pm 

Santa wrote:
DOB wrote:
Santa wrote:

Quote:

Is it ok for some people to disagree and not be racist?

Also at least you're agreeing that it is social engineering. Is it OK for people to not want to be socially engineered or to have local control over their area?

You can absolutely disagree and not be racist.

It's all social engineering. Creating the suburbs was social engineering in the first place, and trying to reduce their negative effect on American city life and the unsustainable lifestyle it has created is, by necessity, a social engineering response.

Where the racism comes in is that when the suburbs were created in the post-WWII years, blacks were specifically barred from owning homes in those suburbs, which created a massive wealth gap between races that still exists.

So by ending the AFFH, Trump is perpetuating bad development policy, and to explain why he's doing it, he is falling back on racist tropes like the urban/suburban divide. You don't have to be racist to disagree. But it helps.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:17 pm 

LOL

No worries Uncle Tom

This great crime that Obama did under AFFH was to extend LBJ’s fair housing program. Obama insisted that tracking be put in place for federal funds

Trump has rolled that back. Santa agrees.

LOL. Like a person would imagine the ‘greatest crime’ the federal government could engage in, would be that of affirmative action

I mean, don’t get me wrong, affirmative action has got a ton of problems, but the very idea that that this is the biggest problem facing the US right now - i.e. uppity blacks, is laughable

That this argument is being progressed by the bored’s ‘foremost Maori’ is offensive in the extreme.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:40 pm 

Any fool knows that UncleFB is the world’s foremost Maori, Santa is just a Chelsea wanabee.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:53 pm 

Biden's Racial Equity Plan is out.

https://joebiden.com/racial-economic-equity/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:54 pm 

shanky wrote:
And there we have it...

Trump calls for a delay due to Covid, knowing full well the Constitution has no mechanism for such a delay (a material delay that is, past 20th Jan. And if that happens, we're onto Tahs 12th Amendment thing.)

So then he ramps up the rhetoric on mail-in voting.

The next step in this process will be him calling on the States to ‘come up with a solution’ (wink wink) knowing (again, full well) that the blue states will opt for mail-in voting and the red states might be able to be bullied into taking a vote in the statehouse, or going to in-person voting.

How may States does he need to persuade? Not many...Florida, Texas

Conspiracy assured....

Yeah/Nah. All Trump's done is ensure the news cycle and social media outrage is, once again, all about him over the last 48 hours rather than an American hero. I really hope he goes come November, it's all become so 'effing tedious.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:16 pm 

Flockwitt wrote:
I really hope he goes come November, it's all become so 'effing tedious.
Yes, and quite exhausting.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:20 pm 

Mr Mike wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:
I really hope he goes come November, it's all become so 'effing tedious.
Yes, and quite exhausting.

I have a feeling that's a feature of US politics now not a bug.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:25 am 

Big Nipper wrote:
Santa wrote:

I don't think he is. There was a bit of speculation when he started posting whether Santa was an anagrammatic reincarnation of the former poster Satan, who was a pretty clever chap doing some post-grad or doctoral work, if memory serves, on genetic markers and emigration history of Polynesians and/or Melanesians.

I became less inclined to think Santa was the same guy given his cretinously bad faith nonsense around Trump. But some of his recent posts on the Culture Wars thread regarding indigenous populations demonstrate some expertise in that area. It's a little bit depressing to think they're one & the same. Satan was one of the better posters, certainly no dummy. Maybe he just took a really nasty blow to the head. Either that or he's just been doing some industrial-scale trolling from the off.

Meantime, apropos nothing in particular, for Lincoln Project & Stephen Root fans.

Wake Up.

'How did he get Mexico to pay for the wall?'
'I don't recall him saying that...'

Last edited by Waratah on Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:07 am 

Waratah wrote:
Meantime, apropos nothing in particular, for Lincoln Project & Stephen Root fans.

Wake Up.

Hmm.

Not one of their better efforts, methinks.

Over the last 4 years-odd Trump has delivered such a proliferation of gaffes, miss-steps and fails that it's probably a huge task going through them all to select which ones to use.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:23 am 

Flockwitt wrote:
shanky wrote:
And there we have it...

Trump calls for a delay due to Covid, knowing full well the Constitution has no mechanism for such a delay (a material delay that is, past 20th Jan. And if that happens, we're onto Tahs 12th Amendment thing.)

So then he ramps up the rhetoric on mail-in voting.

The next step in this process will be him calling on the States to ‘come up with a solution’ (wink wink) knowing (again, full well) that the blue states will opt for mail-in voting and the red states might be able to be bullied into taking a vote in the statehouse, or going to in-person voting.

How may States does he need to persuade? Not many...Florida, Texas

Conspiracy assured....

Yeah/Nah. All Trump's done is ensure the news cycle and social media outrage is, once again, all about him over the last 48 hours rather than an American hero. I really hope he goes come November, it's all become so 'effing tedious.

Another wrinkle...

Quote:
It’s telling that after President Trump was widely rebuked for suggesting a delay of the election, he wasn’t remotely chastened. Instead, he floated another scenario that could help him accomplish the same goal of avoiding a free and fair election: He suggested that only the votes that can be tallied on Election Day should count.

This may seem like Trumpian bluster. But it’s much more alarming in light of an important new exposé in The Post that reports on big backlogs in mail delivery due to “cost-cutting” by the new head of the U.S. Postal Service — who, by spectacular coincidence, just happens to be a top Trump fundraiser.

And here’s an additional reason for alarm that needs more attention: The impact of those delays could be dramatically exacerbated by state laws that invalidate ballots that are mailed before Election Day but arrive after Election Day.

Guess which key presidential swing states have such provisions invalidating ballots that arrive after Election Day? All of them do, with the exception of North Carolina.

“In states where ballots won’t count if they are received after Election Day, the impact could be devastating," Vanita Gupta, the CEO of the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, told me, adding that this could “result in potentially hundreds of thousands of ballots getting rejected.”

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:41 am 

The yanks are astonishingly anti competition. Most successful social media app that happens to be Chinese- ban it. Market changing phone about to be released that happens to be Chinese- thrash it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:18 pm 

EverReady wrote:
The yanks are astonishingly anti competition. Most successful social media app that happens to be Chinese- ban it. Market changing phone about to be released that happens to be Chinese- thrash it.

People voting - stop them
People protesting - pepper spray them
Etc
Etc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:31 pm 

Sinkers wrote:
EverReady wrote:

People voting - stop them
People protesting - pepper spray them
Etc
Etc

Yeah, the yanks are good at that as well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:32 pm 

Nicked from the Brexit Fred:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/31/world/europe/britain-biden-presidency-johnson.html

Quote:
At a moment of British isolation, Mr. Trump’s full-throated endorsement of Brexit has made the United States a safe harbor. His promise of a lucrative trade deal gave Mr. Johnson a selling point with his voters. His populist politics were in sync with the bare-knuckle tactics of the Brexiteers.

That should be enough to get our Brexit posse squarely behind Trump's re-election.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:37 pm 

Waratah wrote:

Wake Up.

I’ll watch anything with Stephen Root in it, great actor. Love the way he pops up in random spots and tolls like this.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:30 pm 

Rinkals wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/31/world/europe/britain-biden-presidency-johnson.html

Quote:
At a moment of British isolation, Mr. Trump’s full-throated endorsement of Brexit has made the United States a safe harbor. His promise of a lucrative trade deal gave Mr. Johnson a selling point with his voters. His populist politics were in sync with the bare-knuckle tactics of the Brexiteers.

That should be enough to get our Brexit posse squarely behind Trump's re-election.

Only if they want a trade deal that favors only the United States.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:58 pm 

6.Jones wrote:
Rinkals wrote:

Quote:

Only if they want a trade deal that favors only the United States.

Indeed.

I can't see Trump giving away any freebees.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:29 am 

Rinkals wrote:

Quote:

also from that failing nyt link..

'The pandemic has deprived Britain of its long practice of embedding a diplomat in the challenger’s campaign because there is little in-person campaigning.'

:shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:17 am 

I don’t think it should come as a shock that the election-day votes thing, is actually a thing.

The Supreme Court ruled in favour of Bush solely because there wasn’t time to re-run the dodgy chads ballot before the drop-dead date.

Anyone who thinks Trump wouldn’t do anything he could to stay in lower is kidding themsleves.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:54 am 

4071 wrote:
Big Nipper wrote:
Santa wrote:

He's not wrong, though.

It's an interesting question. A politically correct interpretation of American society would be that it's only a narrow demographic that would think that way, so the traction he'll get is limited. He also risks alienating another layer of what Seneca calls "crunchy conservatives", for whom racism is abhorrent. Of course this may be wrong, and large swathes of middle America is frightened by black neighbours.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:57 am 

Snooze wrote:

He doesn't need to control it. He only needs to say he will.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:03 am 

Sefton wrote:
Any fool knows that UncleFB is the world’s foremost Maori, Santa is just a Chelsea wanabee.

:thumbup:

Along with Tehui too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:42 am 

6.Jones wrote:
Snooze wrote:

The new build the wall and Mexico will pay for it, rebuilding infrastructure, bringing back big beautiful jobs, supporting the military, locking up Hillary...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:53 am 

6.Jones wrote:
Snooze wrote:

Just like his "Mexico will pay for the wall" tactic.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:00 am 

Hang on, are you guys saying he hasn't built the wall or locked up Hillary? But that was all supposed to get done on day one.

He at least got rid of Obamacare right? Right?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:14 am 

shanky wrote:
This great crime that Obama did under AFFH was to extend LBJ’s fair housing program. Obama insisted that tracking be put in place for federal funds.

LeBron James is a great man who has given so much back to communities :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:01 am 

Mr Mike wrote:
“Sullivan, through his attorney Beth Wilkinson, filed a petition on Thursday for a so-called "en banc" review by the entire D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals”.

Still live..

Who argued to the appeal court that Sullivan should hold a hearing into why there was a corrupt scheme not to proceed against Flynn, was that Flynn or the DoJ?

Either way the en banc review is going ahead a week Tuesday, and the appeals court are seemingly already asking the question if Sullivan finds against team Barr/Flynn and Flynn is sentenced why and how will Flynn lose his potential for relief when he could then appeal a closed case rather than trying to appeal a case which isn't closed

Judge Rao looks a cretin, but that's nothing new to her and she's doing what she wants to progress her career, hard to argue it hasn't worked either, at least this far

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:03 am 

The housing issue is engineered in Singapore.........

Singapore uses its housing allocation program to ensure ethnic diversity in its neighborhoods; it does so by imposing ethnic quotas: every ethnic group must not own more than a certain percentage in a housing project, thus ensuring that every neighborhood contains members from each ethnic group.

Can't see anything wrong in this.......seems sensible.....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:47 am 

terangi48 wrote:
The housing issue is engineered in Singapore.........

Singapore uses its housing allocation program to ensure ethnic diversity in its neighborhoods; it does so by imposing ethnic quotas: every ethnic group must not own more than a certain percentage in a housing project, thus ensuring that every neighborhood contains members from each ethnic group.

Can't see anything wrong in this.......seems sensible.....

Yeah - I'm not sure you want everything that goes along with that here.

But more relevant to this conversation, whenever a new area is developed, there's a mixture of 1bed affordable through to 4bed family and even what are called "executive" higher end units all in the same neighborhood. And all these neighborhoods will have their own malls, libraries, community centres, markets etc. It's all very cookie cutter and characterless, and they all begin to look and feel the same. But it does achieve housing and facilities for all, all in the same neighborhood.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:02 pm 

Kahu wrote:
shanky wrote:
This great crime that Obama did under AFFH was to extend LBJ’s fair housing program. Obama insisted that tracking be put in place for federal funds.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:05 pm 

shanky wrote:
Kahu wrote:
shanky wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108382 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 2701, 2702, 2703, 2704, 2705, 2706, 2707 ... 2710  Next