POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

All things Rugby
Pat the Ex Mat

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

fonzeee wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:22 am
The likeliest outcome, good or bad, that I foresee, is that we'll just become an English-speaking Brazil with shittier weather.
With more chicas nudista hopefully!
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

CrazyIslander wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:51 am Trump has really done a good job of destroying the US. But I don't think it'll irreparable, unless of course there's a civil war, which I doubt will happen.
I mean, I don't think we're on the brink either. But just like they saw the Civil War coming down the pipe 80 years before it happened, there's a feeling there's an irreconcilable impasse that is going to come to a head some day in the future.

There's no telling what form this will take, but put it this way: my grandpa's 93. If I live to be as old as him, I think it's more likely than not that I'm going to see some pretty wild shit of some sort before my time's up.

The likeliest outcome, good or bad, that I foresee, is that we'll just become an English-speaking Brazil with shittier weather.
That would be a disaster for the rest of the world bar Russia and China. The whole world coexistence is based on the idea of freedom preached and protected by the US. Without that, I doubt bigger countries would respect smaller ones. Old enemies would be the firsts to kick it off.

I don't blame the far right totally. Muslims inside the US have been stirring the pot as well.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:46 pm
DOB wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:20 pm I don't think any of those comments about Obama are in jest at all. I think a lot of people on the left genuinely feel that having Michelle in the White House would mean having a competent, empathetic leader who projects a positive image abroad of our president and country.
How do you know she's competent, because she made a 10-minute speech? What has she ever ran? Why the fudge does empathy matter? Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon were absolute assholes. Jimmy Carter was a nice sincere man from Georgia. Not only did Johnson and Nixon accomplish way more positive things in the presidency than Carter did, that's true for Nixon even in spite of Watergate. George W. Bush was "a more compassionate conservative" than George H.W. Bush, former CIA director. The elder Bush was significantly better in the job.

Your post though exemplifies a lot of what is wrong about the American electorate. Obama is once he's dead and gone probably not going to be looked at greatly in terms of policy achievements. Obamacare is not what anyone on either side wants, it's best case is it's a half-measure that due to being insufficient they thought would encourage more centralization in the future, the kind of poison pill bills and laws that some in D.C. do.

This is not kosher to say yet in Democratic/left circles of Obama's not coming to the task unless you're Bernie Sanders, and in part explains why the blacks never voted for him because they're not going to accept criticism of the first black president. Once Rahm Emanuel - an absolute bulldog in the Karl Rove fashion - left the White House administration, a lot of Obama's policy expertise left the building, because all he was was a single-term Senator from Illinois who got there off of defeating Alan Keyes, political gadfly extraordinaire. Biden was the late night TV joke in the Obama administration but remove him and his decades of Senate experience I wonder how Obama would've ever got anything through Congress, because like Trump actually doing policy wasn't Obama's forte, it was public speaking.

He was not elected to implement policies that are best for this country, he was put in place because "Americans wanted an empathetic leader who projects a positive image abroad of our president and country". Yeah, that's how you get your ass handed to you on climate change at Copenhagen by Xi, in Libya by Sarkozy who played you for an absolute fool to do the Europeans' dirty work for them - a lower-scale repeat of the Iraq conflict that you widely condemned and yet repeated, and in Syria by Putin who demonstrated hard power beats soft power all the time, especially when it comes to red lines of chemical weapons being used. Everything I've read of Obama's time in office including from news publications that were on the president's side was he found the tedium of the job and the bureaucracy difficult to deal with, lost interest by the end, and the Russians and Chinese never respected him as far as being an effective leader.

I think our last 3 presidents have all been strikeouts as far as being good at running the country. You think Michelle Obama is electable because she gives you a warm feeling inside. Great, continue failing America!

Fvcking preach. So many nails on so many heads.

Did he really get elected by beating Alan Keyes?!? :lol: :lol: I can't believe I never knew that.

This is why we have such an utter lack of leadership at the moment though: all style over substance, looking pretty talking in front of a camera, making cute little speeches. This is the link between Obama and Trump -- they are media creations. Let's not forget that Obama's big coming out moment was...giving a speech at the DNC. It's just that they're appealing to (mostly) different audiences.

Here's another example: people were bringing up Andrew Cuomo's name as a potential future candidate (or even as possible drop-in in this election) because of these daily press conferences that "projected leadership". Nevermind that his mismanagement of the pandemic played an instrumental role in the virus' spread not only in his state, but throughout this entire country.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:35 am
With more chicas nudista hopefully!
Oh yeah, that reminds me
piquant wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:04 pm I have to say I rather like Buttigieg
Not the most outlandish take, but bad enough to require a slight uptick in thread quality

Ah, that's better
DOB

Post by DOB »

fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

EverReady wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:44 pm
paddyor wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:16 pm
earl the beaver wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:39 pm So Trump refusing to do a virtual debate, hmmm
He wants out of the debates. Proabbly right too. He tee'd up Biden too good the last time with the senility/superdrugtech thing.
Funnily enough I rate Biden a bit higher than loads on here and thought the debate went well for him e.g. put the senility nonsense to bed. However be it tiredness or whatever the last two speeches I have seen him give, one at Gettysburg, were sort of weak and halting. He looked tired and he sounded tired and at the end they had him walk up a grassy hill and like any man of his age...he looked tired. If I was Trump's crew I would be thinking drag him around doing debates and watch him crack
It's a shame as I think if he'd been elected at the right time of his life, he could have been a good president. I can't speak for everybody but this is closer to my view of the potential issues with his mental acuity: it's not that he's literally senile and that he thinks it's 1957 and he can't go out to give his speech because he has to meet Corn Pop in the parking lot for a knife fight. It's that he's slower and lacks the vitality to properly control his administration as a president would be expected to. And at that point, the question becomes, who's really making the decisions?

In other words, he's being used. Which is sad considering what he's done for the party, but that's politics for you.

Your last sentence though is why I thought Trump's strategy of talking over him constantly in the debate was so hilariously misguided. He should have been giving Joe enough rope to hang himself with, but I suppose he just couldn't help himself.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

DOB wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:32 am 2.
1,3, 4, 2
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

fonzeee wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:35 am
earl the beaver wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:39 pm So Trump refusing to do a virtual debate, hmmm
He wants out of the debates. Proabbly right too. He tee'd up Biden too good the last time with the senility/superdrugtech thing.
Funnily enough I rate Biden a bit higher than loads on here and thought the debate went well for him e.g. put the senility nonsense to bed. However be it tiredness or whatever the last two speeches I have seen him give, one at Gettysburg, were sort of weak and halting. He looked tired and he sounded tired and at the end they had him walk up a grassy hill and like any man of his age...he looked tired. If I was Trump's crew I would be thinking drag him around doing debates and watch him crack
It's a shame as I think if he'd been elected at the right time of his life, he could have been a good president. I can't speak for everybody but this is closer to my view of the potential issues with his mental acuity: it's not that he's literally senile and that he thinks it's 1957 and he can't go out to give his speech because he has to meet Corn Pop in the parking lot for a knife fight. It's that he's slower and lacks the vitality to properly control his administration as a president would be expected to. And at that point, the question becomes, who's really making the decisions?

In other words, he's being used. Which is sad considering what he's done for the party, but that's politics for you.

Your last sentence though is why I thought Trump's strategy of talking over him constantly in the debate was so hilariously misguided. He should have been giving Joe enough rope to hang himself with, but I suppose he just couldn't help himself.
A younger Donald Trump would be worse, more dangerous. He'd seriously do some damage. At least the current one is too senile to hide his incompetence and corruption allowing the public a way out. He has paved the for more shrewd and sinister players though. He's proven that the constitution is very weak in protecting the democratic process.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Flyin Ryan

Great post. :thumbup:
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

U.S. sues Yale for alleged bias against Asian and white applicants
By Jonathan Stempel

(Reuters) - The U.S. Department of Justice sued Yale University on Thursday, accusing the Ivy League school of illegally discriminating against Asian and white applicants in undergraduate admissions.

The lawsuit escalates the Trump administration’s push against affirmative action in admissions to elite universities, after it publicly supported a lawsuit by Asian-American students accusing Harvard University of discriminating against them.

The Justice Department said Asian-American and white applicants were typically only one-eighth to one-fourth as likely to win admission to Yale as similarly qualified Black applicants.

In a complaint filed in the federal court in New Haven, Connecticut, where Yale is based, the Justice Department said Yale’s practices violate Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Yale must comply with that law to receive federal funding, which the government said includes more than $630 million annually from the Department of Health and Human Services alone.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-yale ... sae1dkgybg

Trump is determined to take away from African Americans.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

CrazyIslander wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:55 am
By Jonathan Stempel

(Reuters) - The U.S. Department of Justice sued Yale University on Thursday, accusing the Ivy League school of illegally discriminating against Asian and white applicants in undergraduate admissions.

The lawsuit escalates the Trump administration’s push against affirmative action in admissions to elite universities, after it publicly supported a lawsuit by Asian-American students accusing Harvard University of discriminating against them.

The Justice Department said Asian-American and white applicants were typically only one-eighth to one-fourth as likely to win admission to Yale as similarly qualified Black applicants.

In a complaint filed in the federal court in New Haven, Connecticut, where Yale is based, the Justice Department said Yale’s practices violate Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Yale must comply with that law to receive federal funding, which the government said includes more than $630 million annually from the Department of Health and Human Services alone.

Complete non-sequitur, but: I would have zero problem with affirmative action if the primary benefactors were black American descendants of slavery, and particularly those among them that are impoverished. Instead, a lot of those slots are going to (often privileged) first and second generation African immigrants, and to a lesser extent Caribbean immigrants. Inasmuch as those benefits go to black Americans, it's to the benefit of well-entrenched upper and upper middle class black Americans. I'm not saying this is necessarily the basis of this administration's opposition, just throwing that out there.

Note: Between Obama (African father) and Kamala Harris (Caribbean father), neither fit the mold of the typical black American. Calling them "black" is making a superficial equivalence.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

How do you know she's competent, because she made a 10-minute speech? What has she ever ran? Why the fudge does empathy matter? Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon were absolute assholes. Jimmy Carter was a nice sincere man from Georgia. Not only did Johnson and Nixon accomplish way more positive things in the presidency than Carter did, that's true for Nixon even in spite of Watergate. George W. Bush was "a more compassionate conservative" than George H.W. Bush, former CIA director. The elder Bush was significantly better in the job.

Your post though exemplifies a lot of what is wrong about the American electorate. Obama is once he's dead and gone probably not going to be looked at greatly in terms of policy achievements. Obamacare is not what anyone on either side wants, it's best case is it's a half-measure that due to being insufficient they thought would encourage more centralization in the future, the kind of poison pill bills and laws that some in D.C. do.

This is not kosher to say yet in Democratic/left circles of Obama's not coming to the task unless you're Bernie Sanders, and in part explains why the blacks never voted for him because they're not going to accept criticism of the first black president. Once Rahm Emanuel - an absolute bulldog in the Karl Rove fashion - left the White House administration, a lot of Obama's policy expertise left the building, because all he was was a single-term Senator from Illinois who got there off of defeating Alan Keyes, political gadfly extraordinaire. Biden was the late night TV joke in the Obama administration but remove him and his decades of Senate experience I wonder how Obama would've ever got anything through Congress, because like Trump actually doing policy wasn't Obama's forte, it was public speaking.

He was not elected to implement policies that are best for this country, he was put in place because "Americans wanted an empathetic leader who projects a positive image abroad of our president and country". Yeah, that's how you get your ass handed to you on climate change at Copenhagen by Xi, in Libya by Sarkozy who played you for an absolute fool to do the Europeans' dirty work for them - a lower-scale repeat of the Iraq conflict that you widely condemned and yet repeated, and in Syria by Putin who demonstrated hard power beats soft power all the time, especially when it comes to red lines of chemical weapons being used. Everything I've read of Obama's time in office including from news publications that were on the president's side was he found the tedium of the job and the bureaucracy difficult to deal with, lost interest by the end, and the Russians and Chinese never respected him as far as being an effective leader.

I think our last 3 presidents have all been strikeouts as far as being good at running the country. You think Michelle Obama is electable because she gives you a warm feeling inside. Great, continue failing America!
A very fine post indeed, young man.
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

This is remarkable — a federal judge has ordered DOJ to confer with the WH about its official position on declassification of Russia docs in response to Trump’s tweets.

BuzzFeed is seeking access to the *entire* Mueller report based on Trump’s declassification order via tweet.
https://twitter.com/MuellerSheWrote/sta ... 3079709696

Santa

Post by Santa »

Bingo, to the he's being controlled part. That has got to be completely unconstitutional.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

From a long distance away, it seemed to me that one of Obama's greatest weaknesses was an apparent unwillingness to do any negotiating with congressional leaders, it seemed to me that he found any kind of politicking distasteful. How many times did he play golf with John Boehner, for example? Less than one?
Santa

Post by Santa »

CrazyIslander wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:55 am
By Jonathan Stempel

You should seen the SAT results for 2019-2020.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

wamberal wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:52 am From a long distance away, it seemed to me that one of Obama's greatest weaknesses was an apparent unwillingness to do any negotiating with congressional leaders, it seemed to me that he found any kind of politicking distasteful. How many times did he play golf with John Boehner, for example? Less than one?
x( x( x( what the actual feck?
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

DOB wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:32 am 2.
:nod:
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Santa

Post by Santa »

What to make of Pelosi's 25th Commission? By any means necessary...
Santa

Post by Santa »

Im surprised nobody is talking about the alleged plot 're Whitmer.

1. This looks like an opening skirmish in the civil war.
2. There is enough there to make it look like an FBI setup and that's certainly how it is being spun in certain circles.
3. Whitmer is an appalling human.
Last edited by Santa on Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Trump points to slain veterans' families in response to questions about how he caught Covid-19
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... d_nn_fb_ma

He realky hates vets. He actually also blamed the Marines on guard at the White House.
Salient

Post by Salient »

CrazyIslander wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:43 am

A younger Donald Trump would be worse, more dangerous. He'd seriously do some damage. At least the current one is too senile to hide his incompetence and corruption allowing the public a way out. He has paved the for more shrewd and sinister players though. He's proven that the constitution is very weak in protecting the democratic process.
Yet the public seem to be doing jack about his corruption, nepotism, support for the Crusaders, any of these should be impeachable offences in my opinion ... give me a mo ... yes Beijing are happy with this comment.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

The public can't do anything about it. The power of a president is akin to a dictator if used in such a way. The public only has the VOTE.
Santa

Post by Santa »

CrazyIslander wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:50 am The public can't do anything about it. The power of a president is akin to a dictator if used in such a way. The public only has the VOTE.
So... they do have power.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Santa wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:57 am
CrazyIslander wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:50 am The public can't do anything about it. The power of a president is akin to a dictator if used in such a way. The public only has the VOTE.
Which can only be exercised every 4 years.
Santa

Post by Santa »

CrazyIslander wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:58 am
Do you know how democracies work?
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Santa wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:59 am
Yes.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Santa wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:33 am Im surprised nobidy is talking about the alleged plot 're Whitmer.

2. There is enough there to make it look like an FBI setup and that's certainly how it is being spun in certain circles.
You would have creamed yourself when McVeigh killed those children. Would have got right moist. And what was that. A hill of big fücking beans
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

fonzeee wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:13 am

Ah, that's better

From the ashes of Trump's presidency will rise a great Eagle. A great nation of the likes the world has never seen before. Nostradamus predicted it.
Last edited by Kahu on Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Santa

Post by Santa »

CrazyIslander wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:00 am
Yes.
Apparently not. Let me enlighten you. In democracies you get to vote on who is given enough power to run the country for a limited amount of time. If you don't like how they did it you get another vote a bit later.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Big Nipper wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:22 am
This is remarkable — a federal judge has ordered DOJ to confer with the WH about its official position on declassification of Russia docs in response to Trump’s tweets.

BuzzFeed is seeking access to the *entire* Mueller report based on Trump’s declassification order via tweet.

If Tweets are directives then Trump has also directed the arrest of his political opponents, including his opponent in this election. Banana republic is no longer just a clothing store for yuppies.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Santa wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:02 am

Yes.
Apparently not. Let me enlighten you. In democracies you get to vote on who is given enough power to run the country for a limited amount of time. If you don't like how they did it you get another vote a bit later.
There are also checks and balances on that power.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Yes.
There are Laws in place. It's not a free for all.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

6.Jones wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:07 am

If Tweets are directives then Trump has also directed the arrest of his political opponents, including his opponent in this election. Banana republic is no longer just a clothing store for yuppies.
I guess the point is that the President can declassify anything. Like the pardon, it's basically an all encompassing power with no set limits other than convention.
piquant

Post by piquant »

6.Jones wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:08 am

Yes.
There are also checks and balances on that power.
Lindsey judge me on my words Graham?
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:15 am
6.Jones wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:07 am

I guess the point is that the President can declassify anything. Like the pardon, it's basically an all encompassing power with no set limits other than convention.
:lol: let's see if they do declassify what's in the Mueller report, removing the redactions of the DOJ that have been deemed improper by a court of law and been ordered to present to the public before Nov 2.

Accuse, bluff, waffle, bullshit, rinse, repeat...
Santa

Post by Santa »

CrazyIslander wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:08 am

Yes.
There are Laws in place. It's not a free for all.
Of course. Limited by a number of things like opposition parties, judicial power, laws and the time limit on power.

Now do you understand why there are such systems? Well, it is basically to manage the peaceful transition of power from one bloc to another. In olden times these transitions were achieved through war or other limited forms of bloodletting. And this is crucial because removing the power from one bloc outside of the agreed sequence (e.g. outside of the election cycle) risks exactly that: bloodletting.

There are of course mechanisms for doing it, such as impeachment, but they are deliberately designed to work in almost zero cases, because of the risk. The idea is that things like impeachment should enjoy broad public support because you need to limit the amount of resentment that impeachment generates within the bloc whose leader is being removed, and thus reduce the risk of bloodletting. A better option is just to let the guy be a bad leader for a few years until the next election when everybody gets to decide whether he has been a bad leader by voting. Maybe he wasn't so bad and it was just that you didn't like him.

The other thing about the time in power and the difficulty of removing elected representatives is that they have to be given enough power and certainty to actually run the country. If it is too easy to remove them then a) that will affect their behaviour to be extremely short termist and populist and b) the opposition parities will be constantly looking to overturn the leadership. None of that would result in a well run and/or stable country.

Post by 4071 »

Santa wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:33 am Im surprised nobody is talking about the alleged plot 're Whitmer.

Right wing terror plot to kidnap a US governor and overthrow state governments is foiled by the FBI

Santa: Those poor men have been set up by the FBI.

fudge you, you f**king fascist piece of shit.
Santa

Post by Santa »

4071 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:09 am
Santa wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:33 am Im surprised nobody is talking about the alleged plot 're Whitmer.

Right wing terror plot to kidnap a US governor and overthrow state governments is foiled by the FBI

Santa: Those poor men have been set up by the FBI.

fudge you, you f**king fascist piece of shit.
:lol: I didn't say that at all. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: