POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

All things Rugby
Thomas

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Thomas »

Attending a protest is very different to being aligned with Antifa.

Anyway, it was self defence of course. That's how these things work out.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Santa wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:00 am So this shooting is getting odd. The TV station reckons they got the guy through Pinkerton but Pinkerton denies it.
What has that got to do with the shooting itself "getting odd" ?
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Sounds like he might have been an undercover Democrat assassin picking off Big Don voters in swing states hoping to tip the balance.
DOB

Post by DOB »

EverReady wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:46 am Sounds like he might have been an undercover Democrat assassin picking off Big Don voters in swing states hoping to tip the balance.
What’s he doing in Colorado then?
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

Thomas wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:47 am
Sonny Blount wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:40 am
Santa wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:49 am Another Patriot Rally goer shot and killed today. Apparently by a TV crew security guard.

Only problem is, apparently, the Denver Dept. of Excise and Licences doesn't seem to have him down as a registered security guard.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... g-protests
Supposedly the shooter has aligned with and attended many BLM, Antifa, and Occupy events over many years.
That's weird. The police say the opposite.

What's your source?

But anyway, using the Rittenhouse excuse...it was self defence, right?
he was protecting tv cameras
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

DOB wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:25 am
EverReady wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:46 am Sounds like he might have been an undercover Democrat assassin picking off Big Don voters in swing states hoping to tip the balance.
Down ticket Senate race, taking no chances this year.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Americans are around guns so much that some of them just don't have a healthy fear of them. If that Rittenhouse guy was at a London demo and shot someone with an assault rifle no fucker would be chasing him down the road. Even if they were armed with a top of the range stateboard. They would all be running the other way.
This guy who got shot was trying to provoke someone who was wearing a "Black Guns Matter" t-shirt and was saying go on mace me. I have the right to stand my ground. Shirley the assumption has to be this fucker has a gun and he will kill me. Not content with winding that guy up he turns to someone else who actually has a gun in his hand. He slaps him then sprays him then surprise surprise gets shot dead.
ticketlessinseattle

one thing I'm amazed Biden's ticket has not made a bigger deal of is the death rate per capita in the US ; its what ? 4% of world population but 20%+ of the deaths ? its almost 6 times per capita (5.65) the rate in Germany for example ; why isnt Biden hammering him with this ? the shutting down of the pandemic response unit, the Woodward tapes where he admits he knew it was a big deal but didn't act etc ?
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

ticketlessinseattle wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:09 pm one thing I'm amazed Biden's ticket has not made a bigger deal of is the death rate per capita in the US ; its what ? 4% of world population but 20%+ of the deaths ? its almost 6 times per capita (5.65) the rate in Germany for example ; why isnt Biden hammering him with this ? the shutting down of the pandemic response unit, the Woodward tapes where he admits he knew it was a big deal but didn't act etc ?
Because a lot of countries are not reporting their real numbers for their own domestic political circumstances. Mexico I know from one industry I follow has had a ton of deaths compared to the American side there's been a couple outbreaks of cases, but only 1 or 2 deaths total for the industry for people all ages, so you look at Mexico's official numbers they're incredibly underreporting.

I forget who did it, I think it was the Financial Times, but "excess deaths over historial norms" they at one time had is probably the most accurate way at determining a real global count over relying on governments that have reasons to lie. But I expect that measure won't start being used widespread by media until February 2021.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

shereblue wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:08 pmThe fuc king great log in the eye of the US Constitution is the political control exercised over the judiciary. Whichever way you slice it, there is a massive disregard for the principles understood by the founding fathers as to the nature of tyranny. See Montesquieu De l'esprit des lois , James Maddison "the accumulation of all power, legislative, executive and judiciary in the same hands, whether of one, or few, or many, and whether hereditary, self-appointed or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny" and so on.
Great statement.

If you believe it, don't vote for the Republican or Democratic parties.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

ticketlessinseattle wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:09 pm one thing I'm amazed Biden's ticket has not made a bigger deal of is the death rate per capita in the US ; its what ? 4% of world population but 20%+ of the deaths ? its almost 6 times per capita (5.65) the rate in Germany for example ; why isnt Biden hammering him with this ? the shutting down of the pandemic response unit, the Woodward tapes where he admits he knew it was a big deal but didn't act etc ?
Either Biden or his running mate made that exact point during their debates
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

All this violence and chaos happening in Biden's America at the moment
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:35 pm
Biden did, which simply resulted in Republicans throwing doubt on figures from China, India, Brazil, Vatican City etc etc etc.

The Republicans then pivot to say “let’s talk about death rates in the US, Democrat controlled states and cities. It’s terrible”. Which simply results in Democrats throwing doubt on figures from Texas, Florida, South Dakota, etc etc etc

Those arguments simply convince those already convinced.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:31 pm
shereblue wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:08 pmThe fuc king great log in the eye of the US Constitution is the political control exercised over the judiciary. Whichever way you slice it, there is a massive disregard for the principles understood by the founding fathers as to the nature of tyranny. See Montesquieu De l'esprit des lois , James Maddison "the accumulation of all power, legislative, executive and judiciary in the same hands, whether of one, or few, or many, and whether hereditary, self-appointed or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny" and so on.
Great statement.

When do you think it turned to shit on that score? Alwyas or at some particular point. Conservatives often point to Bork. Was it earlier than that?
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

There is a argument that the Supreme Court demonstrates the lack of political control exercised over the judiciary. If there was political control then Gorsuch, Roberts, Kennedy and Souter would all have different track records and RBG would have had a more diverse selection of clerks.
Santa

Post by Santa »

I suppose any method of appointment has the appointee beholden in some way to the appointers. The question is how to minimise the beholdenism.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Santa wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:54 pm
Flyin Ryan wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:31 pm
Great statement.

When do you think it turned to shit on that score? Alwyas or at some particular point. Conservatives often point to Bork. Was it earlier than that?
Probably Bork. If anything it was the first time that a Supreme Court justice nominee was made into a partisan battle, and once something gets broken once, it's easy to break it again.

All the talk about Pence maybe taking the helm if Trump died reminded me of Gerald Ford's and Nelson Rockefeller's extraordinary vice presidential confirmations in both Houses of Congress. I believe the right of a president to have a vice president of his own choosing is more or less sacrosanct. This is a level above and beyond the president getting to pick his Supreme Court justices or cabinet nominees.

Here's the records:
Gerald Ford

Senate on November 27, 1973: 92 yes, 3 no
House on December 6, 1973: 387 yes, 35 no

Nelson Rockefeller

Senate on December 10, 1974: 90 yes, 7 no
House on December 19, 1974: 287 yes, 128 no
Every single one of those "no" votes should in my opinion be made to explain themselves. It's a partisan political office, yes, but I don't get why the party opposing the president should have a right to veto the selection. It should literally be a "is this person qualified to hold the office?" and that is it. And in our nation's history we've had a low bar for some vice presidents that Ford and Rockefeller had to clear. I want to hear the arguments from the 38 people for Gerald Ford and the 135 people for Nelson Rockefeller on why they thought these statesmen unqualified. I don't expect I would hear an explanation about qualifications, I expect it would all come down to political reasoning, which strikes me as incredibly wrong. The thing is, that was the 1970s. It'd be even worse today. If Trump died and Pence had to pick a replacement or Biden does die and Harris picks a replacement, I would expect a party-line vote in the current climate, which to me demonstrates that Congress should have zero say in the matter because they would not be willing to look beyond political motives. The Democrats can literally veto any VP selection of Pence if they're cohesive in the House, which means if the unthinkable happens, under federal statute Pelosi would become President (said statute is most likely unconstitutional, meaning we'd have another constitutional crisis to deal with, but that's another can of worms).
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Santa wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:32 pm I suppose any method of appointment has the appointee beholden in some way to the appointers. The question is how to minimise the beholdenism.
My view is the danger is less about feeling beholden to whoever nominated you and more about the antipathy that can be created by a controversial confirmation process. You hope that doesn’t happen but there are understandable concerns about longer term impacts from a Thomas or Kavanaugh type exercise.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Sonny Blount wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:52 am
Santa wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:49 am Another Patriot Rally goer shot and killed today. Apparently by a TV crew security guard.

Only problem is, apparently, the Denver Dept. of Excise and Licences doesn't seem to have him down as a registered security guard.

Supposedly the shooter has aligned with and attended many BLM, Antifa, and Occupy events over many years.

What's your source?

A Matt Dolloff being photographed at an Occupy march [especially carrying an American flag] doesn't really make your case.
ticketlessinseattle

Flyin Ryan wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:29 pm
Because a lot of countries are not reporting their real numbers for their own domestic political circumstances. Mexico I know from one industry I follow has had a ton of deaths compared to the American side there's been a couple outbreaks of cases, but only 1 or 2 deaths total for the industry for people all ages, so you look at Mexico's official numbers they're incredibly underreporting.

I forget who did it, I think it was the Financial Times, but "excess deaths over historial norms" they at one time had is probably the most accurate way at determining a real global count over relying on governments that have reasons to lie. But I expect that measure won't start being used widespread by media until February 2021.
that may impact the 4%/21% calculation but it doesnt cexplain why its almost 6 times the number of deaths as Germany , if you adjust for how Germany calculates the numbers vs USA maybe it changes the number of deaths to 5 times but Jesus USA is so far higher than any other G7 country with normal haired leaders
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

6.Jones wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:18 pm A Matt Dolloff being photographed at an Occupy march [especially carrying an American flag] doesn't really make your case.
Clearly about to set it on fire.
ticketlessinseattle

I hope they did down that level, I just didnt catch it, I didnt watch the entire debate (only what Jimmie Kimmel covered so I think I'm good) - a Colorado mate of mine who pays close attention to this made the same point ;
ticketlessinseattle

Mr Mike wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:50 pm
Biden did, which simply resulted in Republicans throwing doubt on figures from China, India, Brazil, Vatican City etc etc etc.

The Republicans then pivot to say “let’s talk about death rates in the US, Democrat controlled states and cities. It’s terrible”. Which simply results in Democrats throwing doubt on figures from Texas, Florida, South Dakota, etc etc etc

looks like I must have missed it ; what exactly did they say ? if its not spelled out clearly I think it gets lost ; Germany has a pop of 83million, USA is 328M so almost exactly 4 times population with 215k dead.....Germany hasn't quite hit 10k yet ; that takes a lot of explaining
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

This.

I mean this is obvious.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

BokJock wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:45 pm All this violence and chaos happening in Biden's America at the moment
Indeed. What is President Biden doing? What America has he shaped after 4 years in power?
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Mr Mike wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:21 pm
DOB wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:25 am
Down ticket Senate race, taking no chances this year.
It's deep state stuff. It's hard to explain
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Simple Tim
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

TheFrog wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:47 pm
BokJock wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:45 pm All this violence and chaos happening in Biden's America at the moment
Indeed. What is President Biden doing? What America has he shaped after 4 years in power?
They need Trump to bring back law and order. With him incharge this couldn't happen
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

TheFrog wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:47 pm
8 years
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

If Trump loses the election it's pretty clear fox will turn on him as well as the GOP. People who worked for his administration will be lining up to put the knife in.

There is bound to be a film about the 26 different women who accused him of assaulting them. No doubt there will be scenes where he goes in the changing rooms at beauty pageants to watch young women getting changed.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:15 pm If Trump loses the election it's pretty clear fox will turn on him as well as the GOP. People who worked for his administration will be lining up to put the knife in.

There is bound to be a film about the 26 different women who accused him of assaulting them. No doubt there will be scenes where he goes in the changing rooms at beauty pageants to watch young women getting changed.
You can already see signs of rats leaving the ship as the election looks all but lost for Trump. GOP candidates now trying to put some distance between them and Trump to try and save their seats.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Underage girls. There is loads of video and audio of him talking about very young kids like a 10 year old he sees at an escalator and after looking her up and down says he will be dating them in 10 years time. Guess who was 10 when he said it. Ivanka! You get no points for that as it was bound to be her.

Post by 4071 »

https://www.vice.com/en/article/dyza4k/ ... gun-stores
California Republicans are allegedly trying to prove that voter fraud is real by committing actual election fraud.

Metal containers marked “Official ballot drop-off box” have been popping up in gyms, gun stores, campaign headquarters, and even churches across California in recent weeks, with Republicans urging voters to drop their ballots inside.

But these boxes are not official ballot drop boxes, and the Republicans who have been actively promoting them in recent weeks could face criminal charges.

“Doing my part and voting early,” Jordan Tygh, a GOP regional field director, said in a now-deleted tweet posted last Friday. “DM me for convenient locations to drop your ballot off at!”

The tweet was accompanied by a picture of Tygh kneeling in front of one of the unofficial boxes, holding a ballot, and wearing a mask with Orange County congressional candidate Michelle Steel’s name on it.

But this box is not an isolated incident.

The California Secretary of State confirmed Sunday that his office has received reports in recent days about possible unauthorized ballot drop boxes in Fresno, Los Angeles, and Orange counties, the Orange County Register reported.

Another box was spotted outside the Freedom’s Way Baptist Church in Castaic in northern LA county, and its presence was promoted on Facebook by Pastor Jerry Cook. “Our church has a voting drop box in front of our complex — if you are voting early, drop your ballot on by,” Cook said in the now-deleted post.

A post from the church said that the box was “approved and brought by the GOP,” adding that church officials don’t have a key to the box and that GOP officials would collect the ballots.

Cook did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but he told a local Fox station that he was confident the box was official.

Fresno County Republican Party also posted a list of “secure” ballot collection locations but none of the locations on the list, which include its own headquarters and multiple gun shops are official county drop box sites.

The California Republican Party has not responded officially to questions about the boxes, but it has been defending its position on Twitter.

“If a congregation/business or other group provides the option to its parishioners/associates/ or colleagues to drop off their ballot in a safe location, with people they trust, rather than handing it over to a stranger who knocks on their door — what is wrong with that?” the @CAGOP account tweeted on Sunday.

But in California, ballot drop boxes can only be overseen by county elections officials who chose the number, location, hours of operation, and other details. Registrars have to make sure the boxes follow strict guidelines, ensuring their security and chain of custody for the ballots.

“Operating unofficial ballot drop boxes — especially those misrepresented as official drop boxes — is not just misleading to voters, it’s a violation of state law,” Alex Padilla, California’s Secretary of State, said in a statement issued on Sunday evening.

“My office is coordinating with local officials to address the multiple reports of unauthorized ballot drop boxes. Californians should only use official ballot drop boxes that have been deployed and secured by their county elections office.”

The LEFT are a threat to democracy!
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

6.Jones wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:18 pm
Sonny Blount wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:52 am

What's your source?

A Matt Dolloff being photographed at an Occupy march [especially carrying an American flag] doesn't really make your case.
There is nothing suggesting he is currently a 'radical'.

There are a series of pictures of him protesting at Occupy (all respectful protest pics), an email suggesting he was involved with organisation of Occupy.

He is a registered Democrat and his social media posting has some left wing stuff such as using #ftp, fudge Trump comments, follows Bernie, the confederate flag = swastika, calling Trump supporters racist (to their face in his words).

Speculation about his space invaders tattoo turns out to be bullshit, the social media posting is not that dense in his history, and there are some moderate comments as well. Considering he is 30 and his Occupy involvement was in 2012, I think you can currently say it looks like he aligns with the left and was involved in left wing protests as a younger man.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

TheFrog wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:40 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:15 pm If Trump loses the election it's pretty clear fox will turn on him as well as the GOP. People who worked for his administration will be lining up to put the knife in.

You can already see signs of rats leaving the ship as the election looks all but lost for Trump. GOP candidates now trying to put some distance between them and Trump to try and save their seats.
Plenty of people from the right turned on him 5 years ago.

You may remember the Never Trump National Review edition, and a number of commentators that stopped appearing on Fox around that time.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Sonny Blount wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:57 pm
TheFrog wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:40 pm

Plenty of people from the right turned on him 5 years ago.

You may remember the Never Trump National Review edition, and a number of commentators that stopped appearing on Fox around that time.
Yep your scumbag leader has a chance of clinging on
shanky

Post by shanky »

Say what you like about Rupert Murdoch, but he’s a winner.

He’s made good money taking adverts for pee-pee pads, lottery tickets and mountain dew from the ‘base’.

He’ll drop Trump like a hot potato and go with whatever it is that Ted Cruz fancies.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

shanky wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:44 pm Say what you like about Rupert Murdoch, but he’s a winner.
Not the noun I would choose. He will go down in history for all the wrong reasons. In personal terms his life has been disastrous. Elizabeth and James have both walked away from the family business. His mother - a very well respected woman - openly espoused the realities of climate change, and he had to shut her up. She will be remembered long after he is a little footnote in the big book of history's failures.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

ticketlessinseattle wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:29 pm

looks like I must have missed it ; what exactly did they say ? if its not spelled out clearly I think it gets lost ; Germany has a pop of 83million, USA is 328M so almost exactly 4 times population with 215k dead.....Germany hasn't quite hit 10k yet ; that takes a lot of explaining
America really struggles with per capita conversations.....

"But we're bigger, deep"
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:29 am
ticketlessinseattle wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:29 pm

America really struggles with per capita conversations.....

"But we're bigger, derp"