POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

All things Rugby
piquant

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by piquant »

ManInTheBar wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:25 pm
piquant wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:57 pm
ticketlessinseattle wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:13 pm
C69 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:04 am :lol: he wants to kiss all the audience.

Moron
it defies all sorts of logic that in a pandemic that has killed 4 times as many as the Vietnam war that the President is aggressively trolling the population calling them pussies for wearing masks ; playing the fiddle as Rome burns ;
It doesn't even make sense, the polling on this is appalling for him so what's the upside?
"All the voices in his head, calling Gloria"

My take from a distance:

A major part of his schtick has been Trump-the-over-achiever (billionnaire, stable genius, knowing everything about everything). In another man you might call it the Nietzschean superman theory. It has worked well for him over many years and there remain very significant numbers of American voters for whom his "personal strength" is an attractive quality against what the equivocation of traditional politicians.

But BUT - Covid has no care for this and with each fresh family with a significant infection a new circle of people have the scales removed from their eyes.
That or all the things she said running through his head, and then some looping of, this is not enough, they say it's my fault, yes I've lost my mind, this is not enough...
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Fat Old Git wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:47 am it appears it not just the lamestream media who aren't entirely honest.
US Election 2020: Anthony Fauci says Trump campaign ad quote misleading

Top US government scientist Anthony Fauci has said an edited clip of him used in a Trump campaign ad is misleading.

It shows Dr Fauci saying he "can't imagine that anybody could be doing more" to fight Covid-19, suggesting he is speaking about President Trump.

However, Dr Fauci was talking about himself and other medical officials.

The infectious diseases expert has previously clashed with Mr Trump over how to handle the pandemic.

"In my nearly five decades of public service, I have never publicly endorsed any political candidate," he said, in a statement sent to AFP news agency.

"The comments attributed to me without my permission in the GOP campaign ad were taken out of context from a broad statement I made months ago about the efforts of federal public health officials," Dr Fauci added.

The 30-second campaign ad declares "President Trump is recovering from the coronavirus, and so is America", before playing the clip of Dr Fauci.

However, in the original footage of Dr Fauci, which came from an interview the epidemiologist did with Fox News in March, he says: "I have been devoting almost full time on this. I'm down at the White House virtually every day with the task force. It's every single day. So, I can't imagine that under any circumstances that anybody could be doing more."

In response, Trump campaign spokesman Tim Murtaugh said: "These are Dr Fauci's own words. The video is from a nationally broadcast television interview in which Dr Fauci was praising the work of the Trump administration. The words spoken are accurate, and directly from Dr Fauci's mouth."

President Trump also defended the use of the clip, tweeting: "They are indeed Dr Fauci's own words. We have done a 'phenomenal' job, according to certain governors."
https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54504096

No one else found this interesting? Or enjoyed the defense of "These are Dr Fauci's own words" for a complaint that is about using them out of context and not that they were not his words? Are we so used to Trump and co's dishonesty that we just ignore it now?

:((
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Fat Old Git wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:35 amNo one else found this interesting? Or enjoyed the defense of "These are Dr Fauci's own words" for a complaint that is about using them out of context and not that they were not his words? Are we so used to Trump and co's dishonesty that we just ignore it now?

I think you nailed it with your last question. It shows Trump's desperation that now, as the number of daily cases is still around 50k, Trump has to go use a comment by Fauci from several months ago and then quote it out of context to try to convince the electorate that Trump is doing well.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Anybody who knows who Fauci is would not be fooled by this sort of chicanery.
piquant

Post by piquant »

Kiwias wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:13 am
Fat Old Git wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:35 amNo one else found this interesting? Or enjoyed the defense of "These are Dr Fauci's own words" for a complaint that is about using them out of context and not that they were not his words? Are we so used to Trump and co's dishonesty that we just ignore it now?

I think you nailed it with your last question. It shows Trump's desperation that now, as the number of daily cases is still around 50k, Trump has to go use a comment by Fauci from several months ago and then quote it out of context to try to convince the electorate that Trump is doing well.
The actual ad if you've not seen it is hilarious: 'President Trump is recovering from the coronavirus, and so is America' before going on to use Fauci markedly out of context
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Trump and co complain about fake news all the time yet are the biggest source of it. And his fans lap it all up even though it's them whose eyes he is pulling the wool over.

"I'm invincible, I'm immune, don't worry about the virus, it's all good! By the way, here's a wavier to sign before attending my rally...."
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

piquant wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:16 am

The actual ad if you've not seen it is hilarious: 'President Trump is recovering from the coronavirus, and so is America' before going on to use Fauci markedly out of context
I have seen it and basically Trump is shooting himself in the foot with anyone outside his base.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

EverReady wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:57 am Jee...sus. https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54532189
The election day is 3 weeks away.

Poll stations are not going to as well staffed and widely open now as they should be on election day. If there is a queue then you can come on a different day or to a different poll station, based on how many people are voting now it could be a real breeze to vote on election day.

I am sure there will be queues on voting day that will throw doubt on the health of democracy in America, but queues today are not that.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Sonny Blount wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:23 am
EverReady wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:57 am Jee...sus. https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54532189

Poll stations are not going to as well staffed and widely open now as they should be on election day. If there is a queue then you can come on a different day or to a different poll station, based on how many people are voting now it could be a real breeze to vote on election day.

I am sure there will be queues on voting day that will throw doubt on the health of democracy in America, but queues today are not that.
Totes Sonny. You are an honest broker in all this
ticketlessinseattle

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

those voters don't look like Trumps base ; wonder what the average queue time is like based on location
ManInTheBar

Post by ManInTheBar »

If 2016 shows us anything it is that the past is an unreliable guide to the future

BUT

Historically high turnout has been good for Democratic candidates
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

So cringey
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

The fact is those voters are all 4 years too late. The GOP played a blinder and have the supreme court for a few decades. Tbf I know a bit why they don't vote looking at those lines
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

And Trum lawyers going to the Supreme Court again over his tax records...

These must stink terribly given the efforts in fighting off that inquiry. So much for the transparency promised by Trump during the last debate.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

TheFrog wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:47 pm And Trum lawyers going to the Supreme Court again over his tax records...
Refusal of cert should be forthcoming around 4 November.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

It looks like he is getting pushed out by the shadowy pizza figures all the same. I think the most damning thing is virtually everyone who has worked for him thinks he is a fücking idiot. He's not hiding anything. It's all there on show
piquant

Post by piquant »

Kiwias wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:33 am

I have seen it and basically Trump is shooting himself in the foot with anyone outside his base.

He's shooting himself in the foot with his base. In some states the Dems have targeted their message on Covid, healthcare plans and pre-existing conditions and they're getting not just positive feedback from Democratic and Independent voters but 5% of Trump voters, and that's actually moving Trump voters away from Trump. It's an insane strategy to go along with pulling adverts from key swing states, putting so many ads on Fox News. Maybe it all works for him, but in advance it's like he's trying to fail.
piquant

Post by piquant »

EverReady wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:46 pm The fact is those voters are all 4 years too late. The GOP played a blinder and have the supreme court for a few decades. Tbf I know a bit why they don't vote looking at those lines
I assume that's why so many think the Dems will simply change the numbers if they get the chance. I would if I were them
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

piquant wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:13 pm
EverReady wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:46 pm The fact is those voters are all 4 years too late. The GOP played a blinder and have the supreme court for a few decades. Tbf I know a bit why they don't vote looking at those lines
I assume that's why so many think the Dems will simply change the numbers if they get the chance. I would if I were them
Yep - the GOP may live to regret taking the gloves off. It opens the door for the Democrats to be a bit more aggressive. They might also want to look at the system that allows a Republican president to get voted in when the Democrat got 3 million more votes - not sure if they can change that but it seems to give the GOP an inbuilt advantage.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

ovalball wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:20 pm
Yep - the GOP may live to regret taking the gloves off. It opens the door for the Democrats to be a bit more aggressive. They might also want to look at the system that allows a Republican president to get voted in when the Democrat got 3 million more votes - not sure if they can change that but it seems to give the GOP an inbuilt advantage.
I agree. Mitch blew it with Merrick Garland. He should have been patient and they would have set themselves up for years but now it's hugely contentious etc etc. I think it's a great example of what may turn out to be short term gain. However, and the yanks will know more about it than me, there is very little appetite for radical change to the court numbers really. I think it would wholly over shadow years of the presidency and they have enough problems with the economy
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

So what about people who have always voted early and never seen queues like these. I honestly think these queues will encourage even more people to come out and vote.

I hope you all watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al3qY8ZMHEc
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

I am not sure that this is so straight forward and explains why Biden is embarrassed when asked the question whether or not he will stuff the court.

If he does, he creates a precedent that will backfire and further undermines democracy in the US. He knows there is no way he can set a maximum number of judges in marble, he won't have the support to do that. So this would be a dangerous thing to do.

On the other hand, if he says he won't do it, he is basically telling his supporters that he is willing to accept the conservatives controlling the SC for the foreseeable future.

The GOP has played a blinder I believe but they further discredited themselves as garant of a healthy democracy. I hope this shows in the poll.
piquant

Post by piquant »

TheFrog wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:48 pm
I am not sure that this is so straight forward and explains why Biden is embarrassed when asked the question whether or not he will stuff the court.

If he does, he creates a precedent that will backfire and further undermines democracy in the US. He knows there is no way he can set a maximum number of judges in marble, he won't have the support to do that. So this would be a dangerous thing to do.

On the other hand, if he says he won't do it, he is basically telling his supporters that he is willing to accept the conservatives controlling the SC for the foreseeable future.

The GOP has played a blinder I believe but they further discredited themselves as garant of a healthy democracy. I hope this shows in the poll.
I was assuming Biden was trying to avoid saying anything because he thinks he can get away with being gutless and not being honest with the voters. What the Dems might wait for if they are a little timid is the court to give a ruling they think will rally enough support for a drastic response, but that's a risk to wait and perhaps have lost control of the process.

If they were to add 4 justices to the court it might not be the worst idea to add 2 liberal lions and 2 centrists rather than just pander to their base, that would avoid charges they were trying to imbalance the court as have the GOP.

I don't know it's a blinder from the GOP, they've just been willing to act as they have. If the Dems aren't willing to act they will have to take what the court gives them.
puku

Post by puku »

Not a blinder. To suggest otherwise suggests cunning and strategy. They played the hand that fate dealt them even though it painted them as hypocrites.

Said hand has also revealed that Barrett is a hypocrite too. Ce la vie ( ;) )
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

All hypothetical while the Senate remains with the Republicans but if we are speculating, I suspect for so long as Biden is President I don’t think he will make any nomination which would have the effect of expanding the court. He is a traditionalist, and will not want his legacy to be further politicizing the Supreme Court. He will wax about how seriously he takes the integrity of the court, and make the easy contrast to the Republicans.

A landmark decision would increase the pressure to “do something” but I would be very surprised if Biden supported anything more radical than statehood for PR, encouraging Breyer to retire and checking in on Clarence’s health.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Yes there is. There is a constitutional amendment to do just that thing. It can be part of a larger Supreme Court amendment like mandating a required retirement age (that could be done for all federal judges) or years of service limits, that way we don't perennially see the deaths of Supreme Court justices become political footballs where both parties throw parades on the casket.

I think just about every single Republican in the House and Senate would vote for that in a new term (Biden and the Democrats could force them by using their lack of action or voting against said bill as evidence there is no problem in increasing the court's size), and while the president is intentionally not in the constitution amending process, Biden could use the bully pulpit to get Democrats on board. It would be a good governance amendment that would be a positive legacy, moreso than anything Obama did really concerning capital-G Government.

The Republicans at this point privately know they're losing the presidency. The "anonymous Republican pollsters" in political rags say as much. At this point it's just limiting damage downballot, getting Barrett confirmed, and trying to force Biden into campaign promises they can hold him to during his presidency.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Mr Mike wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:24 pm All hypothetical while the Senate remains with the Republicans but if we are speculating, I suspect for so long as Biden is President I don’t think he will make any nomination which would have the effect of expanding the court. He is a traditionalist, and will not want his legacy to be further politicizing the Supreme Court. He will wax about how seriously he takes the integrity of the court, and make the easy contrast to the Republicans.

A landmark decision would increase the pressure to “do something” but I would be very surprised if Biden supported anything more radical than statehood for PR, encouraging Breyer to retire and checking in on Clarence’s health.
Something neither party ever really recognizes (and Democrats sure as hell didn't in the run-up to 2016) is someday all the power you fight to give the executive, will someday be in the hands of the other party when they hold the executive. If Biden cites random reason x to increase the size of the Court from 9 to 11, there's nothing stopping the next Republican president from citing random reason x to increase the size of the Court from 11 to 13. He or she would even be more defensible to make that decision because of precedent. That's why the most good governance thing is a constitutional amendment on the Supreme Court that sets the maximum size. Since it requires two-thirds in both houses, the party out of power are not going to back the bill if it increases the current size. It also stops this from being a political football ever again, not only for Democrats but also Republicans. It limits the power and manuevers of both parties.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:04 pm
Mr Mike wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:24 pm All hypothetical while the Senate remains with the Republicans but if we are speculating, I suspect for so long as Biden is President I don’t think he will make any nomination which would have the effect of expanding the court. He is a traditionalist, and will not want his legacy to be further politicizing the Supreme Court. He will wax about how seriously he takes the integrity of the court, and make the easy contrast to the Republicans.

Something neither party ever really recognizes (and Democrats sure as hell didn't in the run-up to 2016) is someday all the power you fight to give the executive, will someday be in the hands of the other party when they hold the executive. If Biden cites random reason x to increase the size of the Court from 9 to 11, there's nothing stopping the next Republican president from citing random reason x to increase the size of the Court from 11 to 13. He or she would even be more defensible to make that decision because of precedent. That's why the most good governance thing is a constitutional amendment on the Supreme Court.
I think Biden is fully aware of that and this is precisely why I think he is not convinced that he should pack the SC.

Yes, he may be gutless not to share his views with electors, and awkward and even rude when he says they don't deserve to know his views, but tactically he is trapped and the less worse option is to keep his opinion for himself for now.

And as FR pointed out, with victory looking more and more likely, his game is to avoid being nailed on controversial campaign promises.
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

I see the useless orange shitstain has forced the 2nd presidential debate to be replaced with two separate town hall events. No idea if that will work out better for him or not, though.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:33 pm I see the useless orange shitstain has forced the 2nd presidential debate to be replaced with two separate town hall events. No idea if that will work out better for him or not, though.
It isn’t surprising that Trump is avoiding a townhall format with Biden. Biden is significantly better in that format than Trump.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

I see we’re doing emails again.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

TheFrog wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:13 pm

Something neither party ever really recognizes (and Democrats sure as hell didn't in the run-up to 2016) is someday all the power you fight to give the executive, will someday be in the hands of the other party when they hold the executive. If Biden cites random reason x to increase the size of the Court from 9 to 11, there's nothing stopping the next Republican president from citing random reason x to increase the size of the Court from 11 to 13. He or she would even be more defensible to make that decision because of precedent. That's why the most good governance thing is a constitutional amendment on the Supreme Court.
I think Biden is fully aware of that and this is precisely why I think he is not convinced that he should pack the SC.

Yes, he may be gutless not to share his views with electors, and awkward and even rude when he says they don't deserve to know his views, but tactically he is trapped and the less worse option is to keep his opinion for himself for now.

And as FR pointed out, with victory looking more and more likely, his game is to avoid being nailed on controversial campaign promises.
It’s not gutless, it’s smart politics. He gets nothing for answering that question.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

paddyor wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:41 pm
TheFrog wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:13 pm

It’s not gutless, it’s smart politics. He gets nothing for answering that question.
I don’t think it is particularly smart to continue doing it and to say things which can be presented as saying that voters don’t deserve to know, which is why he is already massaging his answer. Once/if Barrett is confirmed the thin tactical justification disappears entirely and and he will be far more direct.

Post by 4071 »

Coincidentally, black people are forced to queue around 30-50% longer than white people in order to vote.

But obviously there is no institutional racism in the US. Everything is fine. There are excuses for everything. It's all fine!

Post by 4071 »

EverReady wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:30 pm
ovalball wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:20 pm
I agree. Mitch blew it with Merrick Garland. He should have been patient and they would have set themselves up for years but now it's hugely contentious etc etc. I think it's a great example of what may turn out to be short term gain. However, and the yanks will know more about it than me, there is very little appetite for radical change to the court numbers really. I think it would wholly over shadow years of the presidency and they have enough problems with the economy
But they have done. And may have never had an opportunity like it. They have politicised the judiciary at all levels in their favour and packed the Supreme Court, selecting exceptionally young judges. These three selections will still be ruling on US laws well after Mitch has died. And one of the few democrat-appointed judges is also 10 years older than anyone else on the court.

The minority party will have a Supreme Court majority for at least the next decade and very likely longer.

How did he blow it? He achieved exactly what he needed to, and - given that Republicans are the minority party - would not have had the opportunity to do ever again.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

I think history will show he didn't need to undermine the process the way he did. The Supreme Court's make up will be a permanent issue with a light constantly shining on it
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

I don’t think Mitch regrets it for a moment.

Confirmation hearing has fallen apart as Sasse calls Astros cheats and alienates Cruz and Cornyn.
puku

Post by puku »

Mr Mike wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:11 pm
Confirmation hearing has fallen apart as Sasse calls Astros cheats and alienates Cruz and Cornyn.
Sasse would be correct.

Did the two Texans start banging trash can lids or something?
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

puku wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:28 pm
Mr Mike wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:11 pm
Sasse would be correct.

Did the two Texans start banging trash can lids or something?
Cruz just sat there looking smug, but that could have been a profile photo.