ex-POTUS DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

All things Rugby
Flyin Ryan

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Flyin Ryan »

DOB wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:05 pm But it’s ok because some people are choosing to spend the Saturday 2 weeks before the election waiting in line for hours, rather than take the Tuesday Election Day off work to wait in line for hours.

Edit; and, of course, the Republicans want to stop them even doing that.
Unless you work a 12-hour day, why do you have to take off work Election Day Tuesday to vote? Polls are open from dawn to dusk most everywhere. In Indiana, it's 6am to 6pm, and if lines are long at 6pm, a judge extends the hours. In California, it's 7am to 8pm.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:12 pm
DOB wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:05 pm But it’s ok because some people are choosing to spend the Saturday 2 weeks before the election waiting in line for hours, rather than take the Tuesday Election Day off work to wait in line for hours.

Unless you work a 12-hour day, why do you have to take off work Election Day Tuesday to vote? Polls are open from dawn to dusk most everywhere.
Clearly they are intending to vote multiple times and need to factor in driving times to other stations and switching disguises.

Outrageous.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:12 pm

Unless you work a 12-hour day, why do you have to take off work Election Day Tuesday to vote? Polls are open from dawn to dusk most everywhere.
You start work at 09:00 and finish at 17:00. You have the time it takes to get from the polling station to work or the other way around and no idea how long you will be queuing for :roll:
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:10 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:52 pm
Flyin Ryan wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:21 pm
DOB wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:59 pm
Flyin Ryan wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:19 pm

There's structural reasons for why that is. Blacks outside of the South only live in urban areas while whites are all over the rural areas. Rural areas have less voters but you still have to setup a precinct for them to vote at. In-person absentee early voting for example is heavily biased toward urban voters for the same reason because few places are setup and they do a "cost analysis" of where to maximize effectiveness, which means you base it where most voters would use it. My old county to in-person early vote if you were over on the Ohio border would've required a minimum 30-minute drive, and hardly anyone under the age of 60 mail voted until this election.

I've done a lot of precinct data-crunching, and the heaviest precincts for voting were the mostly white suburban areas that were inside city limits. The black side of the city has lower turnout for all elections. The majority black city council district typically has only a little more than half the votes of the two largest voting districts which are naturally Republican, but make up its influence by being overwhelmingly Democrat in voting. Now you may get 3 or 4 precincts voting at a single site. Some precincts are tiny due to all the different districts you setup (U.S. House, State House, State Senate, City Council, County Council, Township, School Board) and districts can't cross precinct borders.
I’ve always voted in-person, and voted in big cities, medium cities, and lately a small city in a very white county, all in the most populous state in the country. I’ve always been able to walk up and vote in minutes with no problem. I’ve generally gone after work, but can quite easily go to the polling place on my lunch break. In the last couple of elections I’ve had options of places to drop off my pre-filled ballot. The longest I’ve ever had to line up was the Primary this year. I was there about 10-15 minutes.

There is no excuse for the lines at the polls in the South. None whatsoever. It’s an affront to democracy. It’s been known about for years now, decades even. Obama talked about it in his victory speech in 2008.
I've always voted in-person except for 2000 when I was a university student, and this past spring's primary. I like the experience of going to the polls on election day. I voted early in 2018 primary because my wife was heavily pregnant and ended up giving birth day before election day. I might've voted early in-person one other time but that could've been a municipal election.

The crazy thing to me is, and this was true before this year, you have a lot of young people that are choosing to burden themselves by voting at a place further away and standing in line longer (because election day in my old county had maybe 100 polling places, early voting has maybe 4) than if they just went to their polling place before or after work on election day. I've voted in every election I've been eligible except 2002, and my worst experience is 20 minutes.
DOB and Flyin Ryan. Two white guys agreeing that they never have to wait long to vote. One insisting that shows he system aint broke and the other saying FFS
The neighborhood I lived in from 2006-12 in Rocky Mount, North Carolina, was probably majority black or very large minority black, so they all went to the same polling place I did. My memory of voting there was I walked in after work and voted immediately. Polling place was I think a Methodist church. After voting in 2012, I was exit polled. The exit pollster was a black woman, about my height. But please Australian who gets all his news about our country from a small subset of publications and news networks that likely have a certain political lean, continue telling me you know more about voting here than I do.
As state lawmakers debate the issue of gerrymandering and electoral maps, researchers at the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights are out with a new and powerful report about voter suppression in the aftermath of the U.S. Supreme Court’s infamous 2013 decision in Shelby County v. Holder, which swept away key elements of the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

The new report is entitled “Democracy Diverted: Polling Place Closures and the Right to Vote” (download a PDF version by clicking here) and it documents how a group of states — mostly in the South and including North Carolina — have closed large numbers of polling places in ways that disenfranchise voters of color.

And this is from the section on North Carolina:

Voters in North Carolina, where more than one-fifth (21 percent) of the population is African American, also have less access to polling stations. The 40 counties once covered by Section 5 of the VRA now have 29 fewer voting locations than they had before Shelby. The vast majority of these reductions occurred under the proverbial cover of darkness — without any notice or reporting from the news media. They are especially concerning because majority-White counties voted to shutter voting locations with significant Black populations over the vocal objections of local civil rights groups. The Pasquotank County Board of Elections, for example, shuttered half of the polling places in Elizabeth City — a majority-Black community — without public input and over the objections of the local NAACP branch. The consolidation was undertaken in 2015 in the name of saving money, yet no polling places were eliminated in other parts of the county

http://pulse.ncpolicywatch.org/2019/09/ ... ppression/
I think it's me you are calling Australian :lol:

Believe me I think you know a hell of a lot more about your voting in the states than I do. That is why I think you are a disingenuous cunt
ManInTheBar

Post by ManInTheBar »

An interesting piece by a committed Republican in a right-leaning British mag

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why ... for-biden/

Perhaps not typical but then who is?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

ManInTheBar wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:57 pm An interesting piece by a committed Republican in a right-leaning British mag

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why ... for-biden/

Perhaps not typical but then who is?

Julia Hartley Brewer has been strongly anti trump which wouldn’t be her natural political position Dems/GOP.

Trump is very misogynistic.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:33 pmBelieve me I think you know a hell of a lot more about your voting in the states than I do.
Then be a good little boy and let the more intelligent people talk.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:05 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:33 pmBelieve me I think you know a hell of a lot more about your voting in the states than I do.
Then be a good little boy and let the more intelligent people talk.
:lol:
Santa

Post by Santa »

This situation with Hunter Biden is an absolute doozy.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Santa wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:12 pm This situation with Hunter Biden is an absolute doozy.
Suuurrreeeee.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Santa wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:12 pm This situation with Hunter Biden is an absolute doozy.
It would have been before Trump but he has lowered the tone to a point where no one gives a toss.
Santa

Post by Santa »

I don't think it will change anything. It's just a great story. Spies, lies, corruption, censorship, potentially dodgy evidence, the FBI, it has everything. :thumbup:
Santa

Post by Santa »

Bro Khanna making a good case on the stimulus bill. Pelosi is being nothing short of disgusting.
DOB

Post by DOB »

The stimulus bill that Republicans keep blocking, that Mitch doesn’t have time to bring up for a vote (but has time to get a Justice confirmed)? That stimulus bill?
Santa

Post by Santa »

DOB wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:36 pm The stimulus bill that Republicans keep blocking, that Mitch doesn’t have time to bring up for a vote (but has time to get a Justice confirmed)? That stimulus bill?
Ah. So Pelosi wasn't opposing it and isn't Speaker. Good to know. :thumbup:
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Literally no one cares any more.
Santa

Post by Santa »

I see Dorsey has been subpoenaed. :thumbup:
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

Meanwhile Trump not such a fan of the 1st Amendment...

Flag burners to go to jail for a year
Santa

Post by Santa »

Lolz Trump did well to avoid the second debate. The moderator has just been suspended indefinitely. :lol:
Derwyn

Post by Derwyn »

Thomas wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:50 pm
The American people care.

The details released on the Hunter Biden/Joe Biden Ukraine saga is just the tip of the iceberg.
jamesfreeman

Post by jamesfreeman »

Derwyn wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:31 pm

The details released on the Hunter Biden/Joe Biden Ukraine saga is just the tip of the iceberg.
If Biden wins it will be a distraction for him and his administration
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Corrupt, dishonest and well dodgy? Sounds like Hunter Biden should be running for president on the GOP ticket.
Derwyn

Post by Derwyn »

jamesfreeman wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:42 pm

He’ll be in for a bumpy ride over the next few days. The Trump campaign will just keep leaking more and more...

The dirtier the politics, the bigger the chance of Election victory for Donald Trump.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Derwyn wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:11 pm

He’ll be in for a bumpy ride over the next few days. The Trump campaign will just keep leaking more and more...
Incontinence, eh? That'll go down well with the over 90s.
The dirtier the politics, the bigger the chance of Election victory for Donald Trump.
What does that say about the Orange Buffoon? Spell it out for us?
jamesfreeman

Post by jamesfreeman »

Derwyn wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:11 pm
jamesfreeman wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:42 pm

It worked for him in 2016, the republican base usually turns out and his political niche on top of that is populist so will be a cacophony next few weeks...
Derwyn

Post by Derwyn »

The American people deserve to know the truth about Biden’s dodgy dealings. The censorship from Twitter and Facebook will only add fuel to this 🔥. This isn’t going away and could, or indeed will, be costly to the Biden/Harris campaign.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Derwyn wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:30 pm The American people deserve to know the truth about Biden’s dodgy dealings. The censorship from Twitter and Facebook will only add fuel to this 🔥. This isn’t going away and could, or indeed will, be costly to the Biden/Harris campaign.
"The Truth"!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a farking hide you've got. Trump has basked in lies ever since he got in.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Derwyn wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:30 pm The American people deserve to know the truth about Biden’s dodgy dealings. The censorship from Twitter and Facebook will only add fuel to this 🔥. This isn’t going away and could, or indeed will, be costly to the Biden/Harris campaign.
Hunter Biden isn't running for president. But I guess the GOP has a full deck of hypocrisy cards to play.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

No, they don't. The only people who care about this are rusted on Republicans and his racist support base who were going to vote for Trump anyway. Trump's issue is that he's losing the swing voters. He's an incompetent idiot and that is plain to see.
DOB

Post by DOB »

So the the “Hunter Biden emails” amounts to some sketchy screenshots of one email sent to Hunter from a guy nobody’s heard of, thanking Hunter for a meeting with Joe that nobody has a record of having happened, taken from a laptop that nobody can confirm actually belonged to Hunter because someone who may or may not have been Hunter dropped off at a repair shop over a year ago.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... explainer/
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

DOB wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:56 pm So the the “Hunter Biden emails” amounts to some sketchy screenshots of one email sent to Hunter from a guy nobody’s heard of, thanking Hunter for a meeting with Joe that nobody has a record of having happened, taken from a laptop that nobody can confirm actually belonged to Hunter because someone who may or may not have been Hunter dropped off at a repair shop over a year ago.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... explainer/

LOCK HIM UP! LOCK HIM UP! etc.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Thomas wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:55 pm

No, they don't. The only people who care about this are rusted on Republicans and his racist support base who were going to vote for Trump anyway. Trump's issue is that he's losing the swing voters. He's an incompetent idiot and that is plain to see.
Well, quite

People should be careful what they wish for.

Kushner is an absolute snake but we don’t care anymore. Hunter is a grasping try-hard - but we don’t care anymore.

The bar is set so low now, that anything goes.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

America is a dumpster fire. From an outsider's perspective, everything about the country is broken.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Thomas wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:41 am America is a dumpster fire. From an outsider's perspective, everything about the country is broken.
Wait what? Are you saying it isn't great again?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Clogs wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:47 am
Thomas wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:41 am America is a dumpster fire. From an outsider's perspective, everything about the country is broken.
Wait what? Are you saying it isn't great again?
It hasn't been great for about 50 years.
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

Hunter: not working for US gov't - claims made he received $3m
Kushner: working for US gov't - his company 'magically' receives $90m.

Hmmmm....
Last edited by Short Man Syndrome on Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shanky

Post by shanky »

56% of Americans said they were better off than they were 4 years ago

This, in the middle of a pandemic, with record unemployment, and a relief package about to expire.

Go Trump!

Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

shanky wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:04 am
Thomas wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:55 pm No, they don't. The only people who care about this are rusted on Republicans and his racist support base who were going to vote for Trump anyway. Trump's issue is that he's losing the swing voters. He's an incompetent idiot and that is plain to see.
Well, quite

People should be careful what they wish for.

Kushner is an absolute snake but we don’t care anymore. Hunter is a grasping try-hard - but we don’t care anymore.

The bar is set so low now, that anything goes.
People still care deeply about anyone from the other side doing it.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

From an insider's perspective, that's about right. And we can't even get a flight out of the nightmare it currently is. :(
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

ManInTheBar wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:00 pm Trump's Twitter feed has been filled with exhortations to "VOTE"

My interpretation is that the information his campaign is getting from canvassing is that registered Republicans are exhibiting a reluctance to vote for Dear Leader. The GOP has been significantly more successful at registering voters than the Democrats this summer (apparently) but this may not transfer into support from the Sunkist Stalin

This message has been brought to you by the Department of The Wish Being The Father of the Thought
Secret very motivated Trump voters though