POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

All things Rugby
Big Nipper

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Big Nipper »

Wow, White Power Mick really outdoing himself on this thread this week after his fantastic flounce
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Big Nipper wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:30 am Wow, White Power Mick really outdoing himself on this thread this week after his fantastic flounce

You still mulling over all those bad decisions earlier in life.
New Guy 2

Post by New Guy 2 »

BokJock wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:29 am
Muttonbirds wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:13 am
Mick Mannock wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:08 am
Muttonbirds wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:03 am
Mick Mannock wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:58 pm Racist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elCudp1FZdg
Epic flounce, Mick. You're a weak, weak man.
I cannot take you seriously. You are an idiot who conflates Muslim terrorists with the far right.
Different sides of the same coin. The socially conscious left want nothing to do with either.
Aren't conservative fundamentalist religious types generally seen as being on the right?
They're authoritarian but you can be a left wing authoritarian.

I must admit I've never looked into ISIS fiscal policy to see if they're left wing or right.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

New Guy 2 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:58 am
Muttonbirds wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:03 am Epic flounce, Mick. You're a weak, weak man.
I cannot take you seriously. You are an idiot who conflates Muslim terrorists with the far right.
Different sides of the same coin. The socially conscious left want nothing to do with either.
Aren't conservative fundamentalist religious types generally seen as being on the right?

I must admit I've never looked into ISIS fiscal policy to see if they're left wing or right.
There are at least three axes in play: left vs. right, and authoritarian vs. permissive, and religions vs. irreligious. The American populist right tends to be both religious and authoritarian, but your mileage may vary. Christian evangelicals and the far right have adopted each other like Seneca and Santa. In Germany by contrast, the mainstream churches are outspoken in their condemnation of the far right and have the social capital to influence their members.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Mick believes Trump isn't racist (or maybe it's just Micks wife who believes that) :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTwdJGG_3QI

Post by 4071 »

Santa wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:02 pm This is good.

https://youtu.be/CZH0cZGALB4
Sort of.

I'm not sure a monologue that basically says 'Trump isn't the answer, but neither is Biden' is exactly a hot take. There is a strong feeling that people are voting against Trump rather than for Biden, so removing the fascist from the White House is only one step on the journey. Taking him out will at least stop the decline. The work to start fixing American can then begin, but Biden isn't exactly the man to do it.

To be honest, if career Republicans were smart they would be hoping for a Biden win. Trump is a disaster in pretty much every aspect, and four more years of him will not given them the country they want. Four years of being able to sit on the sidelines sniping at a relatively ineffectual Democrat president who is engaged in cleaning up the shit left behind from Trump's catastrophic reign will probably be enough for them to retake the Senate and maybe even the House in 2022, and have a real shot at retaking the Presidency in 2024. Which - I suspect - is the thinking behind the Lincoln Project. They aren't Dems - they want the power and influence, and won't be happy with Dems in charge. But they know Biden won't enact great change, and they think that they can be the ones offering solutions after America's Trumpectomy.

Post by 4071 »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:35 am Mick believes Trump isn't racist (or maybe it's just Micks wife who believes that) :lol:

Mick's wife may not be the best judge of character.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Looking at the BBC stats, these are the tendencies in the swing states:

I call it too close to call [TCTC] when gap is 3% or less: between parenthesis are the number of electors
Biden starts with a base of 233 votes from Blue States and Trump 188 from Red States. They need 270 electors to win.

AZ : Biden (11)
FL : TCTC (29)
GA: TCTC (16)
IA: TCTC (6)
MN: Biden (16)
MI: Biden (10)
NV: Biden (6)
NH: Biden (4)
NC: TCTC (15)
OH; TCTC (18)
PA: Biden (20)
TX: Trump (38)
VN: Biden (13)
WI: Biden (10)

If these polls are accurate, Biden should win even if Trump carries all the TCTC States.

Post by 4071 »

Muttonbirds wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:03 am Epic flounce, Mick. You're a weak, weak man.

Safe to say they are economically left and socially right.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:35 am Mick believes Trump isn't racist (or maybe it's just Micks wife who believes that) :lol:

I don't care.

There is far more at stake here than this.

I am less of a Trump supporter than an opponent of the alternative.

Post by 4071 »

Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:45 am

I don't care.

Mick Mannock wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:11 am
4071 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:51 am ...
The likes of Bimbo and Mick are economic conservatives, but because of the quirks of two-party systems and the 'my team vs your team' nature of politics, they find themselves aligned with and defending extreme social conservatives when they probably don't actually share their views.

Did your mummy tell you that you were clever?
8)

Post by 4071 »

I don't care.

I would rather a racist authoritarian wannabe dictator, science-denier and conspiracy theorist and an enabler for far-right/white supremacist terrorism than someone who would try and provide affordable healthcare and education for people.

I have principles!
towny

Post by towny »

bimboman wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:41 am
Big Nipper wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:30 am Wow, White Power Mick really outdoing himself on this thread this week after his fantastic flounce

Still probing away. Looking for a chink in my online armour. Holding to personally cause offence......

Says a lot about the kind of man you are.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

4071 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:56 am

I don't care.

I would rather a racist authoritarian wannabe dictator, science-denier and conspiracy theorist and an enabler for far-right/white supremacist terrorism than someone who would try and provide affordable healthcare and education for people.

I have principles!
Your mummy did, didn't she?
towny

Post by towny »

4071 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:41 am
Santa wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:02 pm This is good.

https://youtu.be/CZH0cZGALB4
Sort of.

I'm not sure a monologue that basically says 'Trump isn't the answer, but neither is Biden' is exactly a hot take. There is a strong feeling that people are voting against Trump rather than for Biden, so removing the fascist from the White House is only one step on the journey. Taking him out will at least stop the decline. The work to start fixing American can then begin, but Biden isn't exactly the man to do it.

To be honest, if career Republicans were smart they would be hoping for a Biden win. Trump is a disaster in pretty much every aspect, and four more years of him will not given them the country they want. Four years of being able to sit on the sidelines sniping at a relatively ineffectual Democrat president who is engaged in cleaning up the shit left behind from Trump's catastrophic reign will probably be enough for them to retake the Senate and maybe even the House in 2022, and have a real shot at retaking the Presidency in 2024. Which - I suspect - is the thinking behind the Lincoln Project. They aren't Dems - they want the power and influence, and won't be happy with Dems in charge. But they know Biden won't enact great change, and they think that they can be the ones offering solutions after America's Trumpectomy.
Good post.

It will be interesting to see how the people in Lincoln Project move after the election. I don’t think they want ‘GOP power’ - rather they want politicians that share their values.

The GOP of 2020 looks little like the GOP of 2000. I find it bizarre that so many of the leaders and flock now espouse ideology that they were passionately opposed to a few years ago. However, there are a few that haven’t lost their values - they now vote Democrat.

The Dems lost the southern racists in the 60’s and these are now the heart and soul of the GOP. Will the GOP ever get back those that Trump has driven away? Is there anyone left in the GOP that stands for anything? I suspect that the GOP will have a civil war with the Tea Party cranks eating anyone that’s not a nazi - the educated ‘right wing’ voter might have to hang with the Dems for a while. Which means, will the Dems move further to the right? If so, will the left have its own revolution?

I’ll get the popcorn.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Alan Jones on Sky News boasting that an "energised" Donald Trump has pulled back all the swing states in the USA and is set to comfortably win the upcoming election.
towny

Post by towny »

I don't care.

No you’re not. You’re just a stooge that tries to create logic and rationality to justify your emotional decision. You’re a nazi because your team told you to be. You’re an empty vessel.
towny

Post by towny »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:22 am Alan Jones on Sky News boasting that an "energised" Donald Trump has pulled back all the swing states in the USA and is set to comfortably win the upcoming election.
SKY Australia seems to have recently gone full retard in their support for Trump. I guess Rupert had a word.

Maybe the Oz govt needs the public to back their upcoming decision to recognize some dodgy election results... hard to say - Rupert will tell ScoMo what to do but may not explain the reason behind it.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

towny wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:23 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:22 am Alan Jones on Sky News boasting that an "energised" Donald Trump has pulled back all the swing states in the USA and is set to comfortably win the upcoming election.
SKY Australia seems to have recently gone full retard in their support for Trump. I guess Rupert had a word.

Maybe the Oz govt needs the public to back their upcoming decision to recognize some dodgy election results... hard to say - Rupert will tell ScoMo what to do but may not explain the reason behind it.
What cracks me up is why conservative Aussie commentators would align themselves with Trump. Someone like him would never appeal to a majority of conservative voters here in Oz.
towny

Post by towny »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:28 am
towny wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:23 am

What cracks me up is why conservative Aussie commentators would align themselves with Trump. Someone like him would never appeal to a majority of conservative voters here in Oz.
If Trump was in the Libs or Nats, most would find a reason to support him. Politics is just tribalism. Voters get their values from their party - not the other way around.

Don’t forget Sir Joe.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

4071 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:44 am

Safe to say they are economically left and socially right.
They're neither left nor right economically. They operate as a criminal enterprise, based on extortion. There are no state enterprises. There's a good paper here: https://scholar.princeton.edu/sites/def ... 0-2-pb.pdf
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Did he post that from a public toilet in London?
piquant

Post by piquant »

Fat Old Git wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:51 am
wamberal wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:02 pm
piquant wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:58 pm
Attacking science too, or at least mocking Biden for wanting to follow the science. As ever Trump's just a very weird man
The weirder he gets, the weirder his diminishing gang of followers get. Just check them out. :lol:
It's quite something to behold. They seem to think they're scoring points, landing zingers and winding people up, when in reality they're at best generating a sense of mild pity.

Even if everything they claim about Biden is true, he would still be be less corrupt, creepy, etc etc than the man they seem intent on defending no matter what.
It's been easy for a long time to equate many Trump supporters with having such high levels of denial they'd argue against water being wet, and yet faced with such charge they merely move along to denying Covid is a threat, or that Covid is a threat which needs a serious response. There's a challenge there to be sure because whilst we might disagree on the best fiscal or social models for a society we should be able to agree on facts, and yet we're far too often nowhere close to agreeing on the facts
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

towny wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:22 am

I don't care.

No you’re not. You’re just a stooge that tries to create logic and rationality to justify your emotional decision. You’re a nazi because your team told you to be. You’re an empty vessel.
You do not tell me what I am, cvnt
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

towny wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:11 am
bimboman wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:41 am

Still probing away. Looking for a chink in my online armour. Holding to personally cause offence......

Says a lot about the kind of man you are.

I wasn’t talking to you ..

Says quite a bit about you,
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

I don't care.

You’re getting angry now tiny Rambo.
towny

Post by towny »

Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:59 am

I don't care.

Oh... what are you going to do about it? Tell is what colour your wife is again? Maybe you’ve got a gay hairdresser that proves you’re not homophobic? You stand for nothing. Just admit it. It’ll make you feel empowered to admit to yourself who you really are.

Do it.
towny

Post by towny »

bimboman wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:04 am

I don't care.

You’re getting angry now tiny Rambo.
Oh no. Another brutal shot by the bored’s resident nazi.
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

There is a whole Reich of Nazis on this thread lately. Mick really commanding from the front
Santa

Post by Santa »

A Truth and Reconciliation Commission eh?

https://twitter.com/RBReich/status/1317614803704115200
When this nightmare is over, we need a Truth and Reconciliation Commission. It would erase Trump’s lies, comfort those who have been harmed by his hatefulness, and name every official, politician, executive, and media mogul whose greed and cowardice enabled this catastrophe.
All in jail you reckon, Rob? :thumbup:
piquant

Post by piquant »

Santa wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:19 am A Truth and Reconciliation Commission eh?

When this nightmare is over, we need a Truth and Reconciliation Commission. It would erase Trump’s lies, comfort those who have been harmed by his hatefulness, and name every official, politician, executive, and media mogul whose greed and cowardice enabled this catastrophe.
It's a difficult problem, over and over there are examples of officials serving Trump and the executive rather than the people, and many of them could face a range of sanctions including jail. But it'd be a hell of a precedent to set, and an awful lot of people would take it as going after a political adversary more than following the law.

But if you sweep it under the carpet and pretend Trump and his corruption never happened that too is an awful precedent to set. There aren't any easy answers in this, and of course many local/state actors might take action independent of any Biden executive.

A commission that came with a lot of amnesty being granted might not be the worst way to go
Santa

Post by Santa »

Late night hosts Stephen Colbert and Jimmy Fallon targeted President Trump 97 percent of the time in September, according to a study released Monday.
https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/i ... ent-of-the

Media bias?
Santa

Post by Santa »

piquant wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:39 am
Santa wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:19 am A Truth and Reconciliation Commission eh?

It's a difficult problem, over and over there are examples of officials serving Trump and the executive rather than the people, and many of them could face a range of sanctions including jail. But it'd be a hell of a precedent to set, and an awful lot of people would take it as going after a political adversary more than following the law.

But if you sweep it under the carpet and pretend Trump and his corruption never happened that too is an awful precedent to set. There aren't any easy answers in this, and of course many local/state actors might take action independent of any Biden executive.

A commission that came with a lot of amnesty being granted might not be the worst way to go
I just knew you'd be onboard. :thumbup:
piquant

Post by piquant »

You do wonder how they managed to find 3% of the slots where Trump hadn't done something cretinous and/or criminal
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

Santa wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:41 am
Late night hosts Stephen Colbert and Jimmy Fallon targeted President Trump 97 percent of the time in September, according to a study released Monday.

Media bias?
The mean comedians are making jokes about a president that literally wears clown make up.

Boo Hoo!

Grow a pair snowflake.

They do it because he constantly says ridiculous things. Constantly says weird things. And in general is a very strange individual. Plus narcissistic conspiracy theorists deserve ridicule.

Post by 4071 »

Media bias?
Conservatives: They police only disproportionately arrest black people because black people disproportionately commit crimes - the difference in outcomes is not down to bias.

Also Conservatives: The media make more jokes about Trump than they do about other people - the difference in outcomes is not because he does more stupid things, it's because of bias.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

I think it is laziness rather than bias, Trump is an open goal and it gets such easy laughs. I expect you will see more if the same when/if Biden is elected (just not in those proportions).
piquant

Post by piquant »

BokJock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:55 am

Media bias?
The mean comedians are making jokes about a president that literally wears clown make up.

Boo Hoo!

Grow a pair snowflake.

They do it because he constantly says ridiculous things. Constantly says weird things. And in general is a very strange individual. Plus narcissistic conspiracy theorists deserve ridicule.
And he's the President. Had he lost to Hillary he'd still have been a name in the media, but his mentions wouldn't rate anything like the same attention. Every political leader gets slated in public, unless you live in a horribly oppressive regime so it's just how it is for that office. I've noted here before and I'm sure others have Jon Stewart used to get calls from Obama with Obama having a proper rant at what Stewart had said, but part of the point is those holding the office and some of their closest supporters hate the scrutiny and mockery being provided. If they cannot live with the scrutiny quit.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Big Nipper wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:18 am There is a whole Reich of Nazis on this thread lately. Mick really commanding from the front

You seem to think this covers for the past. The sadness drips from you. How many did you hurt?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

towny wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:13 am
Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:59 am

I don't care.

Oh... what are you going to do about it? Tell is what colour your wife is again? Maybe you’ve got a gay hairdresser that proves you’re not homophobic? You stand for nothing. Just admit it. It’ll make you feel empowered to admit to yourself who you really are.

Do it.

An out pouring of racist bile won’t help you here Rambo. You seem to be quite bigoted.