POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

All things Rugby
Mick Mannock
Posts: 23340
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Mick Mannock »

towny wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:13 am
Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:59 am
towny wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:22 am
Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:45 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:35 am Mick believes Trump isn't racist (or maybe it's just Micks wife who believes that) :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTwdJGG_3QI
I don't care.

There is far more at stake here than this.

I am less of a Trump supporter than an opponent of the alternative.
No you’re not. You’re just a stooge that tries to create logic and rationality to justify your emotional decision. You’re a nazi because your team told you to be. You’re an empty vessel.
You do not tell me what I am, cvnt
Oh... what are you going to do about it? Tell is what colour your wife is again? Maybe you’ve got a gay hairdresser that proves you’re not homophobic? You stand for nothing. Just admit it. It’ll make you feel empowered to admit to yourself who you really are.

Do it.
I would say I am lost for words, except I am not.

You appear to be a freak.
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 39476
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:00 pm
towny wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:13 am
Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:59 am
towny wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:22 am
Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:45 am

I don't care.

There is far more at stake here than this.

I am less of a Trump supporter than an opponent of the alternative.
No you’re not. You’re just a stooge that tries to create logic and rationality to justify your emotional decision. You’re a nazi because your team told you to be. You’re an empty vessel.
You do not tell me what I am, cvnt
Oh... what are you going to do about it? Tell is what colour your wife is again? Maybe you’ve got a gay hairdresser that proves you’re not homophobic? You stand for nothing. Just admit it. It’ll make you feel empowered to admit to yourself who you really are.

Do it.
I would say I am lost for words, except I am not.

You appear to be a freak.
:lol: :lol:
User avatar
TheFrog
Posts: 12179
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by TheFrog »

4071 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:56 am
Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:45 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:35 am Mick believes Trump isn't racist (or maybe it's just Micks wife who believes that) :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTwdJGG_3QI
I don't care.

There is far more at stake here than this.

I am less of a Trump supporter than an opponent of the alternative.
I would rather a racist authoritarian wannabe dictator, science-denier and conspiracy theorist and an enabler for far-right/white supremacist terrorism than someone who would try and provide affordable healthcare and education for people.

I have principles!
That sums up my bewilderment at some of the Trump supporters arguments.
User avatar
TheFrog
Posts: 12179
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by TheFrog »

Santa wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:19 am A Truth and Reconciliation Commission eh?

https://twitter.com/RBReich/status/1317614803704115200
When this nightmare is over, we need a Truth and Reconciliation Commission. It would erase Trump’s lies, comfort those who have been harmed by his hatefulness, and name every official, politician, executive, and media mogul whose greed and cowardice enabled this catastrophe.
All in jail you reckon, Rob? :thumbup:
Watch Lindsey Graham. The personification of the enabler.

Soon, he'll be part of the Lincoln Project.
User avatar
TheFrog
Posts: 12179
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by TheFrog »

Santa wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:41 am
Late night hosts Stephen Colbert and Jimmy Fallon targeted President Trump 97 percent of the time in September, according to a study released Monday.
https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/i ... ent-of-the

Media bias?
remember that Bush administration enabled this, by amending the law requiring media to present both sides of the coin when reporting a story. What was the motivation behind this? Ah yes, FoxNews was being launched.

You can't complain about being served what you asked for.
Mick Mannock
Posts: 23340
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Mick Mannock »

I wonder what Biden is doing right now.

Studying the debate questions?

Working out how he can deny the email allegations whilst avoiding the probability of being caught out lying?

Or just having a long lie-down?
User avatar
Big Nipper
Posts: 9301
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: The Fountain of Running Rugby

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Big Nipper »

Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:52 pm I wonder what Biden is doing right now.

Studying the debate questions?

Working out how he can deny the email allegations whilst avoiding the probability of being caught out lying?

Or just having a long lie-down?
White Power Mick really upping the ante here
Whatever
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Rockyville, Merryland

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Whatever »

Trump going after Fauci again this morning, on Fox. "Not a team player" now apparently. Bizarre. Seems to admit giving up on attempting to control the virus - "let's just get on with it... open the schools" etc. Complete abrogation of leadership. Herd immunity it is then.

If Trump gets re-elected we know that all this will just continue. My concern is what will happen if Biden gets elected? He will make federal mandates over masks, shutting certain businesses etc to slow the virus, but there will be a backlash from a lot of pissed-off people. That's going to be a fun time.
User avatar
BokJock
Posts: 5346
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:30 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by BokJock »

Democrat Presidents are always having to clean up their Republican predecessor's mess
towny
Posts: 18790
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by towny »

BokJock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:18 pm Democrat Presidents are always having to clean up their Republican predecessor's mess
This
piquant
Posts: 9138
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:01 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by piquant »

Whatever wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:14 pm Trump going after Fauci again this morning, on Fox. "Not a team player" now apparently. Bizarre. Seems to admit giving up on attempting to control the virus - "let's just get on with it... open the schools" etc. Complete abrogation of leadership. Herd immunity it is then.

If Trump gets re-elected we know that all this will just continue. My concern is what will happen if Biden gets elected? He will make federal mandates over masks, shutting certain businesses etc to slow the virus, but there will be a backlash from a lot of pissed-off people. That's going to be a fun time.
Did he perhaps confuse his oath to faithfully execute?
Mick Mannock
Posts: 23340
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Mick Mannock »

BokJock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:18 pm Democrat Presidents are always having to clean up their Republican predecessor's mess
Examples?
towny
Posts: 18790
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by towny »

Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:29 pm
BokJock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:18 pm Democrat Presidents are always having to clean up their Republican predecessor's mess
Examples?
Clinton, Obama, FDR
towny
Posts: 18790
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by towny »

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/exclusive-f ... -concerns/
:lol:
How weak can an anti-Biden story be for Fox to say no?
Mick Mannock
Posts: 23340
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Mick Mannock »

towny wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:31 pm
Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:29 pm
BokJock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:18 pm Democrat Presidents are always having to clean up their Republican predecessor's mess
Examples?
Clinton, Obama, FDR
Congratulations on being able to name three US presidents.

Now what were the messes they cleaned-up?
Santa
Posts: 11120
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:56 pm

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Santa »

:lol: Did some dumb c.unt say Obama cleaned things up? He's the reason we have Trump. And I am eternally grateful to him. :thumbup:
bimboman
Posts: 66505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by bimboman »

Santa wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:14 pm :lol: Did some dumb c.unt say Obama cleaned things up? He's the reason we have Trump. And I am eternally grateful to him. :thumbup:


Be gentle he’s an ex serviceman with a race problem.
iarmhiman
Posts: 40202
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by iarmhiman »

So Bimbo joining Mick and Merry to throw your weight in behind the Don then?
User avatar
4071
Posts: 5108
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by 4071 »

Santa wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:14 pm :lol: Did some dumb c.unt say Obama cleaned things up? He's the reason we have Trump. And I am eternally grateful to him. :thumbup:
Whilst having a black President was always going to bring out the latent racist in people, I'm not sure it makes sense to blame the guy for being black and for being uppity enough to become president. The actual problem lies elsewhere.
Mick Mannock
Posts: 23340
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Mick Mannock »

4071 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:48 pm
Santa wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:14 pm :lol: Did some dumb c.unt say Obama cleaned things up? He's the reason we have Trump. And I am eternally grateful to him. :thumbup:
Whilst having a black President was always going to bring out the latent racist in people, I'm not sure it makes sense to blame the guy for being black and for being uppity enough to become president. The actual problem lies elsewhere.
It is incredible how ooooo so racist America voted in Obama...twice.

The actual problem lies in your fantasising twatty mind.
User avatar
4071
Posts: 5108
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by 4071 »

Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:55 pm
4071 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:48 pm
Santa wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:14 pm :lol: Did some dumb c.unt say Obama cleaned things up? He's the reason we have Trump. And I am eternally grateful to him. :thumbup:
Whilst having a black President was always going to bring out the latent racist in people, I'm not sure it makes sense to blame the guy for being black and for being uppity enough to become president. The actual problem lies elsewhere.
It is incredible how ooooo so racist America voted in Obama...twice.

The actual problem lies in your fantasising twatty mind.
The majority are not. Obviously.

Which is why Trump's hate rhetoric lost the popular vote even when faced with the awful Clinton, and is about to get him humiliated even though he's only facing an aged and unexciting Biden.
Masterji
Posts: 1872
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Masterji »

It wasn't the racists that voted for him. Its Obama's presidency that brought out the racists and Trump the opportunist used it to his advantage.
Mick Mannock
Posts: 23340
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Mick Mannock »

Masterji wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:01 pm It wasn't the racists that voted for him. Its Obama's presidency that brought out the racists and Trump the opportunist used it to his advantage.
Bring up your research evidence
bimboman
Posts: 66505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by bimboman »

iarmhiman wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:27 pm So Bimbo joining Mick and Merry to throw your weight in behind the Don then?


Nope. Trumps awful.

I don’t see any actual support, rather than incredulity at what people will actually look the other way to because of TDS.

That and the people screeching “racist” ......
User avatar
6.Jones
Posts: 2959
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:59 pm

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by 6.Jones »

Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:55 pm
4071 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:48 pm
Santa wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:14 pm :lol: Did some dumb c.unt say Obama cleaned things up? He's the reason we have Trump. And I am eternally grateful to him. :thumbup:
Whilst having a black President was always going to bring out the latent racist in people, I'm not sure it makes sense to blame the guy for being black and for being uppity enough to become president. The actual problem lies elsewhere.
It is incredible how ooooo so racist America voted in Obama...twice.

The actual problem lies in your fantasising twatty mind.
No one has called America racist. Only Trump, who launched his political career on the assertion that Obama was Kenyan.
Santa
Posts: 11120
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:56 pm

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Santa »

It appears that FB has blocked and demonetised a Babylon Bee post because it incites violence.

The offending story.

https://babylonbee.com/news/senator-hir ... is-a-witch
Senator Hirono then pulled a live duck out of a massive burlap sack next to her and announced: "In addition to being a Senator, I am also quite wise in the ways of science. Everyone knows witches burn because they are made of wood. I think I read that somewhere. Wood floats, and so do ducks-- so logically, if Amy Coney Barrett weighs as much as this duck I found in the reflection pool outside, she is a witch and must be burned."
Last edited by Santa on Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jay Cee Gee
Posts: 18290
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Santa wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:14 pm :lol: Did some dumb c.unt say Obama cleaned things up? He's the reason we have Trump. And I am eternally grateful to him. :thumbup:
Global Financial Crisis ring a bell?
bimboman
Posts: 66505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by bimboman »

6.Jones wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:38 pm
Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:55 pm
4071 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:48 pm
Santa wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:14 pm :lol: Did some dumb c.unt say Obama cleaned things up? He's the reason we have Trump. And I am eternally grateful to him. :thumbup:
Whilst having a black President was always going to bring out the latent racist in people, I'm not sure it makes sense to blame the guy for being black and for being uppity enough to become president. The actual problem lies elsewhere.
It is incredible how ooooo so racist America voted in Obama...twice.

The actual problem lies in your fantasising twatty mind.
No one has called America racist. Only Trump, who launched his political career on the assertion that Obama was Kenyan.

4071 mentioned latent racists, not Trump.
bimboman
Posts: 66505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by bimboman »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:46 pm
Santa wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:14 pm :lol: Did some dumb c.unt say Obama cleaned things up? He's the reason we have Trump. And I am eternally grateful to him. :thumbup:
Global Financial Crisis ring a bell?
That caused 1,000’s of drone strikes?
User avatar
4071
Posts: 5108
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by 4071 »

Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:26 pm
Masterji wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:01 pm It wasn't the racists that voted for him. Its Obama's presidency that brought out the racists and Trump the opportunist used it to his advantage.
Bring up your research evidence
Study by Schaffner, Nteta and MacWilliams in 2018
User avatar
4071
Posts: 5108
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by 4071 »

bimboman wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:50 pm
Jay Cee Gee wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:46 pm
Santa wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:14 pm :lol: Did some dumb c.unt say Obama cleaned things up? He's the reason we have Trump. And I am eternally grateful to him. :thumbup:
Global Financial Crisis ring a bell?
That caused 1,000’s of drone strikes?
Given drone strikes went up under Trump with little comment from all the people who insist that this was such a problem under Obama, I would suggest that talk of drone strikes is an excuse rather than a reason.
Jay Cee Gee
Posts: 18290
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

bimboman wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:50 pm
That caused 1,000’s of drone strikes?
I'm by no means saying that Obama didn't do some terrible things, but the idea that he had to clean up a mess left by Bush is hardly an outrageous suggestion given the state of the economy when he was elected.
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 39476
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Santa wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:14 pm :lol: Did some dumb c.unt say Obama cleaned things up? He's the reason we have Trump. And I am eternally grateful to him. :thumbup:
If minorities had turned out and voted in the same numbers for Hilary as they did for Obama she would have won. The GOP minority voter suppression tactics obviously had the aim of a lower turnout of minorities You should thank the GOP for that not Obama
The election of Barack Obama to the presidency in 2008 and 2012 sent tremors through the right wing in American politics. They seized their opportunity in 2013 after the US supreme court gutted the Voting Rights Act and doubled down on some vestiges of the Jim Crow era, such as felony disfranchisement.

In 2016, one in 13 African Americans had lost their right to vote because of a felony conviction – compared with one in 56 of every non-black voter. The felony disfranchisement rate in the United States has grown by 500% since 1980. In America, mass incarceration equals mass felony disfranchisement. With the launch of the war on drugs, millions of African Americans were swept into the criminal justice system, many never to exercise their voting rights again.

Generally, the incarcerated cannot vote, but once they have served their time, which sometimes includes parole or probation, there is a process – often arcane and opaque – that allows for the restoration of voting rights. Overall, 6.1 million Americans have lost their voting rights. Currently, because of the byzantine rules, “approximately 2.6 million individuals who have completed their sentences remain disenfranchised due to restrictive state laws”, according to The Sentencing Project.

The majority are in Florida. The Sunshine State is actually an electorally dark place for 1.7 million citizens because “Florida is the national champion of voter disenfranchisement”, according to the Florida Centre for Investigative Reporting. The state leads the way in racializing felony disfranchisement as well. “Nearly one-third of those who have lost the right to vote for life in Florida are black, although African Americans make up just 16% of the state’s population,” according to Conor Friedersdorf’s reporting for the Atlantic.

Florida is one of only four states, including Kentucky, Iowa and Virginia, that “permanently” disfranchises felons.

The term “permanent” means that there is no automatic restoration of voting rights. Instead, there is a process to plead for dispensation, which usually requires petitioning all the way up to the governor after a specified waiting period. Republican Governor Rick Scott, a Republican, has made that task doubly difficult. The Florida Office of Executive Clemency, which he leads, meets only four times a year and has more than 10,000 applications waiting to be heard. An ex-offender cannot even apply to have his or her voting rights restored until 14 years after all the sentencing requirements have been met. The process is therefore daunting enough as it is, but Scott has slowed it down considerably.

His predecessor, a moderate Republican turned Democrat, “restored rights to 155,315 ex-offenders” over a four-year span. Since 2011, however, Scott has approved only 2,340 cases.

Republicans in Georgia have brought their own distinct twist to voter suppression. Secretary of State, Brian Kemp, has developed a pattern of going after and intimidating organizations that register minorities to vote. In 2012, when the Asian American Legal Advocacy Center (AALAC) realized that a number of its clients, who were newly naturalized citizens, were not on the voter rolls although they had been registered, its staff made an inquiry with the secretary of state’s office.

After waiting and waiting and still receiving no response, AALAC issued an open letter expressing concern that the early voting period would close before they had an answer. Two days later, in a show of raw intimidation, Kemp launched an investigation questioning the methods the organization had used to register new voters. One of the group’s attorneys was “aghast … ‘I’m not going to lie: I was shocked, I was scared.’” AALAC remained under this ominous cloud for more than two years before Kemp’s office finally concluded there was no wrongdoing.

Kemp then went after the New Georgia Project when in 2014 the organization decided to whittle away at the bloc of 700,000 unregistered African American voters in the state and, in its initial run, registered nearly 130,000 mostly minority voters. Kemp didn’t applaud and see democracy in action. Instead, he exclaimed in a TV interview, “We’re just not going to put up with fraud.”

Later, when talking with a group of fellow Republicans behind closed doors, he didn’t claim “fraud”. It was something much baser. “Democrats are working hard … registering all these minority voters that are out there and others that are sitting on the sidelines,” he warned. “If they can do that, they can win these elections in November.” Not surprisingly, within two months of that discussion, he “announced his criminal investigation into the New Georgia Project”. And, just as before, Kemp’s hunt for fraud dragged on and on with aspersions and allegations filling the airwaves and print media while no evidence of a crime could be found.

Vote suppression has become far too commonplace. In 2017, “99 bills to limit access to the ballot have been introduced in 31 states … and more states have enacted new voting restrictions in 2017 than in 2016 and 2015 combined”, according to Abi Berman.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... ity-voters
Last edited by Anonymous 1 on Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bimboman
Posts: 66505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by bimboman »

4071 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:55 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:50 pm
Jay Cee Gee wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:46 pm
Santa wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:14 pm :lol: Did some dumb c.unt say Obama cleaned things up? He's the reason we have Trump. And I am eternally grateful to him. :thumbup:
Global Financial Crisis ring a bell?
That caused 1,000’s of drone strikes?
Given drone strikes went up under Trump with little comment from all the people who insist that this was such a problem under Obama, I would suggest that talk of drone strikes is an excuse rather than a reason.


You got a link for that?
User avatar
Flockwitt
Posts: 6500
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Flockwitt »

bimboman wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:00 pm
4071 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:55 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:50 pm
Jay Cee Gee wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:46 pm
Santa wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:14 pm :lol: Did some dumb c.unt say Obama cleaned things up? He's the reason we have Trump. And I am eternally grateful to him. :thumbup:
Global Financial Crisis ring a bell?
That caused 1,000’s of drone strikes?
Given drone strikes went up under Trump with little comment from all the people who insist that this was such a problem under Obama, I would suggest that talk of drone strikes is an excuse rather than a reason.


You got a link for that?
Go look it up. It's well documented. Along with Trump's permission for the CIA to use drones which Obama didn't allow.
User avatar
4071
Posts: 5108
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by 4071 »

bimboman wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:00 pm
4071 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:55 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:50 pm
Jay Cee Gee wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:46 pm
Santa wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:14 pm :lol: Did some dumb c.unt say Obama cleaned things up? He's the reason we have Trump. And I am eternally grateful to him. :thumbup:
Global Financial Crisis ring a bell?
That caused 1,000’s of drone strikes?
Given drone strikes went up under Trump with little comment from all the people who insist that this was such a problem under Obama, I would suggest that talk of drone strikes is an excuse rather than a reason.
You got a link for that?
https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/2019/ ... -s-numbers
If I gave you a pop quiz on recent current events, I bet you’d do pretty well, thanks to a 24-hour cable news cycle, late night talk shows, social media and popular culture. You undoubtedly know that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle had their first child this week. You can likely go into some detail about the Mueller report. You probably have an opinion of Attorney General William Barr.

But what would you say if I asked you the following multiple choice question?
When it comes to President Obama’s drone wars, President Trump has:
A. Ended them
B. Continued them
C. Escalated them

You’re forgiven for not knowing the answer. It’s C. This administration has not only surpassed the previous one’s drone strike volume overseas, it has made the drone wars even more secretive, if that’s possible.

We can cobble together some reporting on the numbers, but finding exact figures on drone strikes in the Trump administration is difficult. More on that in a minute.

According to a 2018 report in The Daily Beast, Obama launched 186 drone strikes in Yemen, Somalia and Pakistan during his first two years in office. In Trump’s first two years, he launched 238. The Trump administration has carried out 176 strikes in Yemen in just two years, compared with 154 there during all eight years of Obama’s tenure, according to a count by The Associated Press and the Bureau of Investigative Journalism.

Experts also say drone strikes under President Trump have surged in Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria. And, as was the case during Obama’s presidency, these strikes have resulted in untold numbers of civilian casualties. According to the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan, U.S. drone strikes in Afghanistan killed more than 150 civilians in the first nine months of 2018.

As of January of this year, U.S. drone strikes fighting ISIS in Iraq and Syria have killed at least 1,257 civilians, according to the Pentagon, and a monitoring group, Airwars, estimates the number to be as great as 7,500. That you might not be aware of what should be a startling and deeply troubling escalation in unaccountable remote-control warfare by the U.S. is both by design and default.

For one, the Obama administration paved the way for popularizing and normalizing drone wars, which also included the extrajudicial killing of U.S. citizens, first by hiding it, then by begrudgingly acknowledging it, and then by pretending to meaningfully constrain it. Obama eventually put in place arcane requirements to issue public reports on civilian death tolls (but just in certain military theaters), to limit targets to high-level militants (again, in certain battlefields), and require interagency approval (also only for certain targets). Trump has peeled back all of those requirements because, well, he can. We now know more than we did about U.S. drone wars when Obama first took office, but less than when he left.

You can also blame cowardly, partisan politics for hearing little from lawmakers about these escalations. Republicans, of course, no longer criticize these sorts of things — even if they subscribe to Trump’s Obama-rebuking, “America First” isolationism. And Democrats who might take issue with unaccountable wars and civilian deaths know to do so they’d have to acknowledge Obama’s role in the mess, and so …Trump’s tax returns it is.

You can’t, however, blame the media for this one. Refreshingly, many mainstream outlets have been reporting on this escalation for months if not years. From Foreign Policy to The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal to Fox News, The Washington Post to CNN, the issue is getting coverage. Whether Americans care or not is another story.

De-escalating our involvement — even shadow or unmanned — in overseas conflicts was something that many Trump critics and supporters were welcoming, especially abroad. One CBC headline from 2016 read, “Drone King Barack Obama will not be missed.” Another, from The Guardian: “At least President Trump would ground the drones.”

It was all wishful thinking.
Mick Mannock
Posts: 23340
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Mick Mannock »

4071 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:53 pm
Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:26 pm
Masterji wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:01 pm It wasn't the racists that voted for him. Its Obama's presidency that brought out the racists and Trump the opportunist used it to his advantage.
Bring up your research evidence
Study by Schaffner, Nteta and MacWilliams in 2018
The requested file is available at this link only for 10 minutes.
Is this some dark web paedo stuff?
I am not going to wait around until it sends me to some perverted site
bimboman
Posts: 66505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by bimboman »

4071, repeats some stunning research and mathematics....

There’s some other versions out there.

Brilliant.
Mick Mannock
Posts: 23340
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Mick Mannock »

bimboman wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:29 pm 4071, repeats some stunning research and mathematics....

There’s some other versions out there.

Brilliant.
Whatever he is up to, I am not clicking any more of his speciality links.
User avatar
4071
Posts: 5108
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by 4071 »

Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:33 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:29 pm 4071, repeats some stunning research and mathematics....

There’s some other versions out there.

Brilliant.
Whatever he is up to, I am not clicking any more of his speciality links.
Political Science Quarterly.

A journal of Public and International Affairs, published since 1886 by the Academy of Political Science.

I know, I know. Fake News.

Whatever.
Post Reply