Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by New Guy 2 »

Meanwhile in the Hunter Biden saga.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SVNewsAlerts ... 6265298946
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:55 am
New Guy 2 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:42 am I think this idea of Trump having to be physically removed from the White House, by force, in January is petty far fetched. If the results are close there will be recounts and legal wrangling similar to 2000 but it'll all be settled by the new year.

For what it's worth I think Trump will be reelected anyway so we may never find out.
It will be nothing like 2000. Trump will take it all the way to his republican dominated supreme court.
Bush v Gore sounds very 2000.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

New Guy 2 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:59 am Meanwhile in the Hunter Biden saga.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SVNewsAlerts ... 6265298946
Very worried about these under aged girls not being protected :roll:

If this stuff is real I hope they throw the book at Hunter Biden. I also hope President Biden doesn't pardon him.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

BokJock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:31 pm Trump ball lickers really claiming that Obama didn't have a clusterfuck to fix when he came into office and that he went a long way to rectifying the mess?!?

Despite the facts to the contrary. Isn't it well established now that in percentage terms his economic growth numbers exceed even Trumps precovid numbers?

And an "economic" right winger bemoaning the fact that rich people got richer is just silly.
A clusterfuck? Yes. Went a long way to rectifying the mess? Meh. Would it really have been much different with McCain or Romney? Any different? I mean, "Trump's economy" was doing just fine pre-covid; this WaPo article has a rundown that shows economic performance under each administration to be largely identical, slightly favoring Trump if anything. Which does suggest that economic performance cannot be quite so readily attributed to whoever's in office -- which is essentially my position.

The argument that you often hear is that there was steady growth under Obama, which is technically true, but it was slower than had been typical in the decades before his presidency (per wiki, but that's Fed data):
Economic growth, measured as the change in real GDP, averaged 2.0% from Q2 2009 to Q4 2016. This was slower than the 2.6% average from Q1 1989 to Q4 2008. Real GDP grew nearly 3% during President Bush's first term but only 0.5% during his second. During the Clinton administration, the GDP growth was close to 4%, slightly faster than the Reagan administration.
Trump was averaging 2.5% quarterly growth pre-covid. Job growth rate basically unchanged. Some metrics were marginally better under Trump (wage growth), some were marginally worse (debt). In any case, I wouldn't credit Trump anymore than I'd penalize Obama. They both sign off on the same think tank-derived, committee-laundered policies. That's how it works.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Economic growth is one thing, concern for the natural environment is another. Trump is a wrecker, there is no doubt about that. It is easy enough to promote economic growth if you don't mind farking up your world.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

New Guy 2 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:42 am I think this idea of Trump having to be physically removed from the White House, by force, in January is petty far fetched. If the results are close there will be recounts and legal wrangling similar to 2000 but it'll all be settled by the new year.

For what it's worth I think Trump will be reelected anyway so we may never find out.
I tend to agree. Though I think he will lose.

He will bitch on Twitter. He might do an interview on 60 Minutes. But when the day comes to leave, what's he going to do? Lock himself in the White House bathroom?

Seriously, someone explain to me how this scenario actually comes to pass. No one with any real power, of any sort, is going to use it to initiate a coup on Donald f**king Trump's behalf. And by himself, he has nothing.

I wouldn't discount the possibility of a couple rednecks occupying a post office in Wyoming or something, granted.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

fonzeee wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:27 am

He will bitch on Twitter. He might do an interview on 60 Minutes. But when the day comes to leave, what's he going to do? Lock himself in the White House bathroom?

Seriously, someone explain to me how this scenario actually comes to pass. No one with any real power, of any sort, is going to use it to initiate a coup on Donald f**king Trump's behalf. And by himself, he has nothing.

I wouldn't discount the possibility of a couple rednecks occupying a post office in Wyoming or something, granted.
Trump chaining himself to the railings and fighting the result all the way to the supreme court are obviously two different things. Who is actually suggesting the former is a real possibility
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

fonzeee wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:27 am

Agreed, the outcome of a standoff between an Institutionalist and a Transactional individual like Trump is pretty predictable. Trump will concede after getting some assurances on non-prosecution in return for a peaceful transition, a board position for Hunter at Trump TV and 10% for the big guy. To satisfy the blood lust Tiffany and Eric will get offered up for short prison sentences for selling toxic MAGA hats and both sides will agree that Rudi is executed, but neither will recall who first demanded it.

The majesty of the democratic process will be preserved.
Santa

Post by Santa »

paddyor wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:33 am
Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:12 pm
shanky wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:05 pm
Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:20 pm
Derwyn wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:17 pm

He’s not going to lose.
Joe's gimps, and Kamala's peg-boys will say otherwise.
It's weird that someone prepared to say such insulting things, becomes himself, so easily insulted.
Being called a racist, a liar, and a Nazi is not nice.
Pedophile too?
Wow.
Santa

Post by Santa »

It is far more likely that the Democrats and/or their supporters get up to some sort of jiggery pokery in the event that they lose. They will contest it every bit as hard as Trump. Perhaps harder. For heavens sakes they assembled a think tank thingy to game it out. There will be violent protests, court cases, the media will go nuts, it will be all on.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:44 am Trump chaining himself to the railings and fighting the result all the way to the supreme court are obviously two different things. Who is actually suggesting the former is a real possibility
And then what happens? John Roberts and Clarence Thomas make him president for life? What actually happens?

Does Kavanaugh lose his seat on the court if he doesn't decide in favor of Trump? Trump has no leverage over anyone. He has nothing. Literally nothing.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Mr Mike :lol:
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

fonzeee wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:55 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:44 am Trump chaining himself to the railings and fighting the result all the way to the supreme court are obviously two different things. Who is actually suggesting the former is a real possibility
And then what happens? John Roberts and Clarence Thomas make him president for life? What actually happens?

Does Kavanaugh lose his seat on the court if he doesn't decide in favor of Trump? Trump has no leverage over anyone. He has nothing. Literally nothing.
I have no idea what Kavanaugh will do. He was one of the lawyers on the Bush team v Gore though so not sure Trump needs leverage over him. Roberts was also on that team and so was Amy Coney Barrett. I don't think any of them would need leverage to act in the "best interests" as they see it of their party.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

fonzeee wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:58 am Mr Mike :lol:
in the midst of all the hysteria I felt obliged to make a more sober contribution.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:00 am

I have no idea what Kavanaugh will do. He was one of the lawyers on the Bush team v Gore though so not sure Trump needs leverage over him. Roberts was also on that team and so was Amy Coney Barrett. I don't think any of them would need leverage to act in the "best interests" as they see it of their party.
So because they were paid advocates on behalf of George W. Bush twenty years ago, they are going to, as justices on the Supreme Court, effectively facilitate a coup in favor of a man that conservative elites (which they are) loathe? Which, oh by the way, will almost certainly be based on utterly spurious legal grounds.

It is pure fantasy. Not as bad as the guy I was talking to the other day who thought cops were going to take to the streets en masse to install a Trump dictatorship, but still.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Seriously, what a dumb theory. Might have to post some Latinas. Standards and all that.

Don't make me do it
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

fonzeee wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:22 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:00 am

So because they were paid advocates on behalf of George W. Bush twenty years ago, they are going to, as justices on the Supreme Court, effectively facilitate a coup in favor of a man that conservative elites (which they are) loathe? Which, oh by the way, will almost certainly be based on utterly spurious legal grounds.

It is pure fantasy. Not as bad as the guy I was talking to the other day who thought cops were going to take to the streets en masse to install a Trump dictatorship, but still.
I said I have no idea what Kavanaugh will do. I do however believe they will do what they believe is in the best interests of their party.

With all due respect you can stick the paid advocates angle up your arse
Santa

Post by Santa »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/2 ... uit-430579

Things have taken a funny old turn when the ACLU is suing to reduce due process protections.
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

Trump throws toys out of pram after female 60mins reporter dares ask him 'questions'.

Proceeds to act all pissy on twitter afterwards.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/2 ... iew-430466

It's just one thing after another with this chump.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:38 am I said I have no idea what Kavanaugh will do. I do however believe they will do what they believe is in the best interests of their party.

I know it's not kewl to say this, but they do actually care about doing their jobs and upholding the law. FFS I'm as cynical as anybody on this thread but that's obvious.

And even if they weren't, Trump isn't the GOP. He isn't conservativism. It could be argued that no group of people hates him more than GOP elites, and that's exactly what a conservative judge on the Supreme Court is. John Roberts is an "I wrote in Kasich" guy if I ever f**king saw one. So even if they did take the view that you expect them to, it would still amount to chucking Trump out on his ass for people like them.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

fonzeee wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:52 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:38 am I said I have no idea what Kavanaugh will do. I do however believe they will do what they believe is in the best interests of their party.

I know it's not kewl to say this, but they do actually care about doing their jobs and upholding the law. FFS I'm as cynical as anybody on this thread but that's obvious.

And even if they weren't, Trump isn't the GOP. He isn't conservativism. It could be argued that no group of people hates him more than GOP elites, and that's exactly what a conservative judge on the Supreme Court is. John Roberts is an "I wrote in Kasich" guy if I ever f**king saw one. So even if they did take the view that you expect them to, it would still amount to chucking Trump out on his ass for people like them.
In the main I don't really have much interest in American politics. As far as the US supreme court is concerned and upholding the law I don't trust them. In 2000 when they took the decision out of the hands of Florida the Dems all voted one way and the Republicans all voted to all intents and purposes to make George Bush president. In 2013 when the supreme court fucked the voting rights act the voting was again on party lines. The Republicans were deliberately opening up the door to the disenfranchisement of many black voters but it was worth it because it was in the best interests of their party. Most of the changes since that ruling sound like something you would expect to find in 1950's America.

When it comes to issues like this one they will do what they believe is best for their party.
towny

Post by towny »

Out of interest, do these Proud Boys wear brown shirts?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... s-florida/

21st century fascism looks a lot like the 20th century version.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

towny wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:31 am Out of interest, do these Proud Boys wear brown shirts?

Cannot open that.

Do they look anything like this?
Sawtooth the Beaver

Post by Sawtooth the Beaver »

Are they sending emails in swing states saying vote for our side, we know who you are and we know where you live?
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Sawtooth the Beaver wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:53 am Are they sending emails in swing states saying vote for our side, we know who you are and we know where you live?
Who do you mean by "they?"

OK, I see what you are referring to.

I think the correct response is "yes, yes, the Nazis are being all Nazi"

This is the first "unsubscription" link I found.
You can make your own conclusions, I guess
https://worldnewsera.com/news/threateni ... tigations/
piquant

Post by piquant »

Whatever wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:28 am
New Guy 2 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:14 am
Whatever wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:06 pm So latest news is that Trump walked out of an interview with 60 Minutes, didn't return for a joint interview with Pence, but went straight to Twitter complaining about about the interviewer not wearing a mask.

He doesn't seem a very stable genius atm.
He must have f**ked up badly to be pre-empting it like this.
This coming straight after calling CNN "dumb bastards" for concentrating on Covid. Again, point one finger, three more pointing back.

All these interviewers, moderators and reporters being horrid to him, it's just awful.
Breathe the pressure, come play his game he'll test ya, hydrosonic addict-insane

https://youtu.be/p0rGLPdvqWM
Last edited by piquant on Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

towny wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:31 am Out of interest, do these Proud Boys wear brown shirts?

Is that how you felt in uniform ?
Santa

Post by Santa »

The old Hunter B-dawg tale has taken some disturbing turns. First we have allegations around underage girls and now we have Bevan Tooney being removed from the federal facility in Oregon and moved to a new location. All very strange but by all means defend away fellas.

The circumspect among us will be Biden our time to see where this goes. :thumbup:

https://thespectator.info/2020/10/20/hu ... in-oregon/
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

He’s not going to lose.
It's weird that someone prepared to say such insulting things, becomes himself, so easily insulted.
Pedophile too?

Even darker secrets.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

He’s not going to lose.
Pedophile too?
What made you write that?
towny

Post by towny »

bimboman wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:17 am

Is that how you felt in uniform ?
I rarely wore it tbf. Singlet, shorts and sneakers was how I rolled. My power was enormous and my rank was ‘Towny’. Captain ‘Hawkeye’ Pierce was my inspiration and I made a decent fist of things.

Being a soldier sucks, but if you know the score, being in the army is awesome. Liberated a country too fwiw. No biggie.

Show some f*cking respect
towny

Post by towny »

Santa wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:19 am The old Hunter B-dawg tale has taken some disturbing turns. First we have allegations around underage girls and now we have Bevan Tooney being removed from the federal facility in Oregon and moved to a new location. All very strange but by all means defend away fellas.

The circumspect among us will be Biden our time to see where this goes. :thumbup:

:lol:

How do Trump supporters think claims of pedophilia and corruption are winning arguments for them? What’s their next tactic - attack HB’s fake tan and toupee?
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

I am sure claims of corruption and paedophilia are far more worthy of derision than being an actual corrupt paedophile.

We will have to wait and see what is revealed next.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

towny wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:49 am
Santa wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:19 am The old Hunter B-dawg tale has taken some disturbing turns. First we have allegations around underage girls and now we have Bevan Tooney being removed from the federal facility in Oregon and moved to a new location. All very strange but by all means defend away fellas.

How do Trump supporters think claims of pedophilia and corruption are winning arguments for them? What’s their next tactic - attack HB’s fake tan and toupee?
They're hoping for a smear to damage Biden

This time votes are locked in and Trump's base isn't big enough.

Last time nobody knew what they were going to get with Trump and Hillary was toxic.

Different this time. Biden has a lot of republican ( elitist republican support some would say) support and everyone knows what they will get with Trump if he's elected for another 4 years. Trade wars, nothing on health, creating more foes with allies, deadlock with congress for 2 years at least.
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

iarmhiman wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:06 am
towny wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:49 am

They're hoping for a smear to damage Biden

This time votes are locked in and Trump's base isn't big enough.

Last time nobody knew what they were going to get with Trump and Hillary was toxic.

Different this time. Biden has a lot of republican ( elitist republican support some would say) support and everyone knows what they will get with Trump if he's elected for another 4 years. Trade wars, nothing on health, creating more foes with allies, deadlock with congress for 2 years at least.
And 97% more laughs
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

Any more news on why Trump bravely ran away from the scary interview?
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

BokJock wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:09 pm Any more news on why Trump bravely ran away from the scary interview?
Card game in Biden's basement?
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

fonzeee wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:10 am
BokJock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:31 pm Trump ball lickers really claiming that Obama didn't have a clusterfuck to fix when he came into office and that he went a long way to rectifying the mess?!?

Despite the facts to the contrary. Isn't it well established now that in percentage terms his economic growth numbers exceed even Trumps precovid numbers?

And an "economic" right winger bemoaning the fact that rich people got richer is just silly.
A clusterfuck? Yes. Went a long way to rectifying the mess? Meh. Would it really have been much different with McCain or Romney? Any different? I mean, "Trump's economy" was doing just fine pre-covid; this WaPo article has a rundown that shows economic performance under each administration to be largely identical, slightly favoring Trump if anything. Which does suggest that economic performance cannot be quite so readily attributed to whoever's in office -- which is essentially my position.

The argument that you often hear is that there was steady growth under Obama, which is technically true, but it was slower than had been typical in the decades before his presidency (per wiki, but that's Fed data):
Economic growth, measured as the change in real GDP, averaged 2.0% from Q2 2009 to Q4 2016. This was slower than the 2.6% average from Q1 1989 to Q4 2008. Real GDP grew nearly 3% during President Bush's first term but only 0.5% during his second. During the Clinton administration, the GDP growth was close to 4%, slightly faster than the Reagan administration.
Trump was averaging 2.5% quarterly growth pre-covid. Job growth rate basically unchanged. Some metrics were marginally better under Trump (wage growth), some were marginally worse (debt). In any case, I wouldn't credit Trump anymore than I'd penalize Obama. They both sign off on the same think tank-derived, committee-laundered policies. That's how it works.
I don't know how you can compare average economic growth before and after a major crisis without factoring in the effect of the crisis.

You don't compare a car average speed over 100m with in one case the car starting from a standstill and the other case the car already being in cruise mode when you start measuring.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:07 pm
ticketlessinseattle wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:05 pm
towny wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:28 pm
BokJock wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:18 pm Democrat Presidents are always having to clean up their Republican predecessor's mess
This

Sunday Times had a great article at the weekend with graphs comparing Trumps economic performance vs Obama in terms of jobs created, growth in the economy, stock market growth, trade deficits, budget deficits, interesting reading but nothing that most Trump supporters would know about or acknowledge
Or even experience, of course.
Do you live in the US?

If not, what are you talking about?
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Santa wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:54 am

It is far more likely that the Democrats and/or their supporters get up to some sort of jiggery pokery in the event that they lose. They will contest it every bit as hard as Trump. Perhaps harder. For heavens sakes they assembled a think tank thingy to game it out. There will be violent protests, court cases, the media will go nuts, it will be all on.
I guess you base your prediction on historical experience? Like Al Gore vs Bush?

Who is the candidate permanently undermining the potential outcome of the election? Who is the candidate asking his supporters to go to the poll stations in number to monitor the vote? Who is the candidate whose campaign is working plan B with governors to select the Electors regardless of the popular vote outcome in their State? Who is the candidate who says to a far right group "stand by, we'll need people to deal with the left"?

A bit of bad faith for the sake of trolling may be part of the game but honestly, I am sometimes wondering whether you actually believe what you write.