ex-POTUS DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

All things Rugby
User avatar
paddyor
Posts: 19514
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by paddyor »

bimboman wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:52 pm
C69 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:13 pm
feckwanker wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:13 pm
C69 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:11 pm So any news of the causes of death other than that of the shot insurrectionist rioter?
Someone suggested that a guy tasered himself accidentally and he had a heart attack and another guy fell off scaffolding and died I think.
Oh well how tragic.

You celebrating a human death isn’t a shock anymore , more of a regular occurrence.

x(
Yeah, RIP the 9/11 hijackers!
User avatar
Floppykid
Posts: 32596
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: SOB>Todd

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Floppykid »

Simpering toady mode for lil Marco.
https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1 ... 6254314498

Blocked the comments.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 34366
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by eldanielfire »

AND-y wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:36 pm Best to say half Hebrew in case you kick the Palestine bores off. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 33614
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Ali's Choice »

Demilich wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:36 pm I don't think it is "a second impeachment stops him running again". If that was the case, if the House is held by the opposition, they could simply impeach a first term president twice, without it being accepted by the Senate, and stop him running for a second term.

I believe if he is impeached and then it is enforced by the Senate, they can then pass a bill to prevent him ever holding federal office again.

Might be a coin flip whether that is a good thing for the Dems or not - if you are confident he will never get voted in again, then it may be worth having him run again (or even just spending 3 years tire-kicking the idea of him running again), to disrupt the GOP from moving forward. On the other hand, it may just send large swathes of his base back into their hovels, refusing to ever vote again.

Then again, this is America, so he is just as likely to win if he runs in 2024, in spite of it all. :lol:
Trump may have significant influence amongst the wider American community, but he's finished as a serious, mainstream politician. He's a domestic terrorist now. He incited the storming of the Capitol Building.
User avatar
4071
Posts: 5559
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by 4071 »

eldanielfire wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:36 pm
4071 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:23 pm
bimboman wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:03 pm
Not on topic an purely out of curiosity. How can one be half Jewish?

Erm, he has two parents, one of which is Jewish..... 1 divided by 2 or 1/2. Or half.
That's not how it works.

Technically, he's Jewish if his mum is Jewish, but not if his dad is.

You can't be half.

But that's a technicality.
Of course that's a in religious/cultural way. I'm mealy saying half my family is Jewish and the other half isn't. I don't really give a damn about the technicality within the culture.
Yes. Of course. I am aware what you meant. It wasn't meant to be taken entirely seriously.

I'm no Orthodox Jew after all. And matrilineal Jewishness is a bit out of date now, anyway, since DNA testing.
User avatar
4071
Posts: 5559
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by 4071 »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:38 pm
Demilich wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:36 pm I don't think it is "a second impeachment stops him running again". If that was the case, if the House is held by the opposition, they could simply impeach a first term president twice, without it being accepted by the Senate, and stop him running for a second term.

I believe if he is impeached and then it is enforced by the Senate, they can then pass a bill to prevent him ever holding federal office again.

Might be a coin flip whether that is a good thing for the Dems or not - if you are confident he will never get voted in again, then it may be worth having him run again (or even just spending 3 years tire-kicking the idea of him running again), to disrupt the GOP from moving forward. On the other hand, it may just send large swathes of his base back into their hovels, refusing to ever vote again.

Then again, this is America, so he is just as likely to win if he runs in 2024, in spite of it all. :lol:
Trump may have significant influence amongst the wider American community, but he's finished as a serious, mainstream politician. He's a domestic terrorist now. He incited the storming of the Capitol Building.
I remember when the 'grab em by the pussy' tape, the dozens of claims of sexual assault, the open racism, the mocking of the disabled and his insulting of military families ended him as a serious mainstream politician too.
User avatar
Demilich
Posts: 3699
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Demilich »

Frodder wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:30 pm Could be the shortest political career ever

https://news.sky.com/story/moment-repub ... l-12181478
I like this one - guy on the right has lost his job, because he stormed the Capitol wearing his work lanyard. :lol: :lol:

Image
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 33614
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Ali's Choice »

4071 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:42 pm I remember when the 'grab em by the pussy' tape, the dozens of claims of sexual assault, the open racism, the mocking of the disabled and his insulting of military families ended him as a serious mainstream politician too.
Nope, those indiscretions excited many Americans. They were thrilled to have a President that gave them tacit permission to misbehave and be bigots.
bimboman
Posts: 72781
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by bimboman »

AND-y wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:36 pm Best to say half Hebrew in case you kick the Palestine bores off. :lol:


That will exclude a lot of other ethnic Jews Andy.
Trostan
Posts: 3377
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Down by the Riverside

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Trostan »

It cannot be in the Dems' interest to prevent the orange turnip from running again.
He will spend the next 4 years tearing Conservative America apart and Kamala will get a second term!
User avatar
Floppykid
Posts: 32596
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: SOB>Todd

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Floppykid »

Demilich wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:43 pm
Frodder wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:30 pm Could be the shortest political career ever

https://news.sky.com/story/moment-repub ... l-12181478
I like this one - guy on the right has lost his job, because he stormed the Capitol wearing his work lanyard. :lol: :lol:

Image
Yeah, another guy lost his job for being at it.
https://twitter.com/followgoosehead/sta ... 7650819072

Glorious.

Jail time needed for a lot of them though.
User avatar
AND-y
Posts: 16910
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by AND-y »

bimboman wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:46 pm
AND-y wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:36 pm Best to say half Hebrew in case you kick the Palestine bores off. :lol:


That will exclude a lot of other ethnic Jews Andy.
Aye, I was taking the piss. It's peak "just asking questions".
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 33614
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Ali's Choice »

Trostan wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:46 pm It cannot be in the Dems' interest to prevent the orange turnip from running again.
He will spend the next 4 years tearing Conservative America apart and Kamala will get a second term!
He'll tear Conservative America apart regardless. He now has a taste for inciting sedition and insurrection. And he will spend the rest of his life targeting senior GOP figures who he thinks have cost him a 2nd term of office.
User avatar
Demilich
Posts: 3699
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Demilich »

Is there a countdown anywhere for when Trump's 12 hours is up and his twitter is due to be unlocked?
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 33614
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Ali's Choice »

Demilich wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:59 pm Is there a countdown anywhere for when Trump's 12 hours is up and his twitter is due to be unlocked?
That finished hours ago. CNN aren't sure why he isn't tweeting, suggesting that maybe Twitter quietly extended the ban.
User avatar
Whatever
Posts: 1281
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Rockyville, Merryland

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Whatever »

YOYO wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:53 pm The Capitol Hill mob.

Who from the PR forum would you pit against these formidable individuals?

Image
I don't know about people here, but Iron Mike stayed in the Capitol prepared to take on all of them, armed only with a bible and a copy of the constitution. :thumbup:
User avatar
Floppykid
Posts: 32596
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: SOB>Todd

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Floppykid »

https://twitter.com/nytmike/status/1347272646715731975
EXCLUSIVE: Trump has suggested to aides he wants to pardon himself in the final days of his presidency, a move that would mark one of the most extraordinary and untested uses of presidential power in American history. w/
@maggieNYT
User avatar
Floppykid
Posts: 32596
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: SOB>Todd

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Floppykid »

Surely it qualifies as an "abuse" of power, rather than "Extraordinary" use of power.
User avatar
Floppykid
Posts: 32596
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: SOB>Todd

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Floppykid »

User avatar
Whatever
Posts: 1281
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Rockyville, Merryland

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Whatever »

ticketlessinseattle wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:18 pm
Whatever wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:48 pm "House Dems circulate articles of impeachment."

Here we go. Either this or Amendment 25 will do.

The worry is, the man has the codez. How should that be handled?
if going for either it should be amendment 25 ; using impeachment proceedings will show it up for the farce it is - yey we have the numbers now to finally kick him out and it loses sight of the grounds for doing so ; and there should be repercussions for his actions, only thing is you can be sure he wants to be fcuked out to show himself is literally the outsider that rocked the establishment - switch off his twitter, facebook, yelp, linkedin, instagram and let him fcuk off
Yes, Pelosi calling for the 25th, but saying if not they will try to impeach.

But apparently there would also be some back-and-forth with the 25th. Apparently Pence would first have to approach Trump and tell him he thinks he is unfit, and if Trump disagrees (as he will) Pence will have to go back to Congress and so on.

Heard it earlier and now Bolton discussing this on CNN. It's a big hole in the Constitution that needs a re-do.
ticketlessinseattle
Posts: 9839
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: the Confederacy of Dunces

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

Demilich wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:36 pm I don't think it is "a second impeachment stops him running again". If that was the case, if the House is held by the opposition, they could simply impeach a first term president twice, without it being accepted by the Senate, and stop him running for a second term.

I believe if he is impeached and then it is enforced by the Senate, they can then pass a bill to prevent him ever holding federal office again.

Might be a coin flip whether that is a good thing for the Dems or not - if you are confident he will never get voted in again, then it may be worth having him run again (or even just spending 3 years tire-kicking the idea of him running again), to disrupt the GOP from moving forward. On the other hand, it may just send large swathes of his base back into their hovels, refusing to ever vote again.

Then again, this is America, so he is just as likely to win if he runs in 2024, in spite of it all. :lol:
now that I think about it, it might have been the Apprentice or Love Island we're thinking of
ticketlessinseattle
Posts: 9839
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: the Confederacy of Dunces

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

Demilich wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:43 pm
Frodder wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:30 pm Could be the shortest political career ever

https://news.sky.com/story/moment-repub ... l-12181478
I like this one - guy on the right has lost his job, because he stormed the Capitol wearing his work lanyard. :lol: :lol:

Image
in fairness once Jamiroquai comes down from his acid trip he'll give him a job as a roadie or something....
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 33614
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Ali's Choice »

Americans must be comforted by the fact that their President seems so focused on leading them through the COVID-19 pandemic, which has sadly claimed 360,000 American lives so far.
User avatar
Demilich
Posts: 3699
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Demilich »

If they are going to use the 25th via the cabinet, then they potentially want to do it quick. Elaine Chao is the first cabinet member to announce her resignation, and every one that resigns is likely to be one that would have been more willing to support the 25th - don't expect too many would have to go, before you are left with a majority of die-hards who have no chance of backing it (which quite likely is already the case, but there may be enough "rats off a sinking ship" that they could do it).
ticketlessinseattle
Posts: 9839
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: the Confederacy of Dunces

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by ticketlessinseattle »

if you're breaking into government buildings and stealing confidential government documents surely there's a higher criminal charge - espionage.....or something that gets you 20 years ?...put it this way if any of these guys were Russian....
CanNZ2000
Posts: 2931
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by CanNZ2000 »

Twitch has disabled Trump's channel. Will Twitter let him back on?
User avatar
4071
Posts: 5559
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by 4071 »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:45 pm
4071 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:42 pm I remember when the 'grab em by the pussy' tape, the dozens of claims of sexual assault, the open racism, the mocking of the disabled and his insulting of military families ended him as a serious mainstream politician too.
Nope, those indiscretions excited many Americans. They were thrilled to have a President that gave them tacit permission to misbehave and be bigots.
Which is exactly my point.

I don't think this alone will end him. Already you have the right-wing networks suggesting Antifa involvement, and one Republican representative saying that these were "good people" who just "got carried away"

If there is one thing the right does very well, it is give themselves comforting lies to believe to justify yet another moral descent. Give it a few weeks and this will have been a mostly peaceful incident with one tragic fatality that The Left and the MSM are unfairly blaming on Trump because they want to distract from the REAL issue, which is the still unresolved issues of election fraud.

This fucker needs to be hammered. He's like a political cockroach - he survives far worse than anyone else would. Come 2024 there will by a mythology around this day from the far-right that absolves them and Trump of all blame. And if he's free to run again...
User avatar
Gavin Duffy
Posts: 17176
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Floppykid wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:08 pm https://twitter.com/nytmike/status/1347272646715731975
EXCLUSIVE: Trump has suggested to aides he wants to pardon himself in the final days of his presidency, a move that would mark one of the most extraordinary and untested uses of presidential power in American history. w/
@maggieNYT
Pardoning himself would be a confession of guilt though. Interesting.
CanNZ2000
Posts: 2931
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by CanNZ2000 »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:49 pm
Floppykid wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:08 pm https://twitter.com/nytmike/status/1347272646715731975
EXCLUSIVE: Trump has suggested to aides he wants to pardon himself in the final days of his presidency, a move that would mark one of the most extraordinary and untested uses of presidential power in American history. w/
@maggieNYT
Pardoning himself would be a confession of guilt though. Interesting.
He won't care about that because he will tell himself a lie to make it right in his mind. Question is, will they challenge it? I think they will now, yesterday was a step too far and the Dems will have enough support, both public and in congress, to move against him.
User avatar
Demilich
Posts: 3699
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Demilich »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:49 pm
Floppykid wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:08 pm https://twitter.com/nytmike/status/1347272646715731975
EXCLUSIVE: Trump has suggested to aides he wants to pardon himself in the final days of his presidency, a move that would mark one of the most extraordinary and untested uses of presidential power in American history. w/
@maggieNYT
Pardoning himself would be a confession of guilt though. Interesting.
It's pretty much entirely irrelevant as a confession of guilt in the public eye though, as he will just counter it with "I'm not guilty of anything, but this is the only way to prevent me becoming a victim of the Deep State and corrupt Dems" and it won't turn away any of his base.

Whether that puts him in legal jeopardy if the pardon is found to be unenforceable is another question...
User avatar
Flockwitt
Posts: 6927
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Flockwitt »

4071 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:33 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:45 pm
4071 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:42 pm I remember when the 'grab em by the pussy' tape, the dozens of claims of sexual assault, the open racism, the mocking of the disabled and his insulting of military families ended him as a serious mainstream politician too.
Nope, those indiscretions excited many Americans. They were thrilled to have a President that gave them tacit permission to misbehave and be bigots.
Which is exactly my point.

I don't think this alone will end him. Already you have the right-wing networks suggesting Antifa involvement, and one Republican representative saying that these were "good people" who just "got carried away"

If there is one thing the right does very well, it is give themselves comforting lies to believe to justify yet another moral descent. Give it a few weeks and this will have been a mostly peaceful incident with one tragic fatality that The Left and the MSM are unfairly blaming on Trump because they want to distract from the REAL issue, which is the still unresolved issues of election fraud.

This fucker needs to be hammered. He's like a political cockroach - he survives far worse than anyone else would. Come 2024 there will by a mythology around this day from the far-right that absolves them and Trump of all blame. And if he's free to run again...
Yep. This. Trump needs to be buried 6 feet under then a concrete mausoleum built over the top. And you'd better believe he'll still be tweeting from beyond the grave.
User avatar
flaggETERNAL
Posts: 6600
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by flaggETERNAL »

Flockwitt wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:37 pm There's got to be a lot of angry Republicans out there... and not Trump's sheeple. Conscientious individuals who have worked all their life for the party or their view of what the party should stand for. Only to have Trump walk in and piss everywhere.
So where have they been?


In other news, anyone caught that tweet about the Trumper among all the others who invaded Capitol Hill in full Trump while wearing his employee badge. Works...well, now worked for a company called Navistar. Got terminated pronto. :lol: :lol:

Then there's an image of someone waving a Georgian. Yes, the country not the US state.

I mean, some of these Trumpers aren't helping their reputation for dumbness.
CanNZ2000
Posts: 2931
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by CanNZ2000 »

Pence has said that he will attend Biden's inauguration but at this time it is unclear if his role will be the departing President or Vice President.
User avatar
Auckman
Posts: 9966
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sydney Town

Re: OFFICIAL U.S. Election Thread: TRUMP vs. HILLARY

Post by Auckman »

mightyreds wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:00 am
Auckman wrote: Thu May 05, 2016 1:09 am If Hillary can solve her minor (but potentially serious) blue collar working class male voter problem, she'll destroy Trump.

Her criminal activities won't disadvantage her at all, in a country when you can scam a whole majority out of their vote, and then celebrate getting away with it.
You must be one of the Maga undie wearers. Well, it looks like my post has aged rather well. Anyway what majority you talking about? The popular vote majority Hillary got in 2016 or the popular vote majority Biden got in 2020?
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 43030
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Floppykid wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:46 pm
Demilich wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:43 pm
Frodder wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:30 pm Could be the shortest political career ever

https://news.sky.com/story/moment-repub ... l-12181478
I like this one - guy on the right has lost his job, because he stormed the Capitol wearing his work lanyard. :lol: :lol:

Image
Yeah, another guy lost his job for being at it.
https://twitter.com/followgoosehead/sta ... 7650819072

Glorious.

Jail time needed for a lot of them though.
I bet the FBI have never had so many identifiable people live streaming their crime at tthe same time. The tip line they set up for this will be bulging
User avatar
Auckman
Posts: 9966
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sydney Town

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Auckman »

Anyway, I seriously think Trump should be removed asap. In the final 2 weeks, he could very well adopt the "fudge 'em, I'm already going so I've got nothing to lose" stance. He could do some more nutty things.
User avatar
Ted.
Posts: 18991
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Ted. »

4071 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:20 pm
fonzeee wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:47 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:40 am
fonzeee wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:37 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:28 am

I'm not blaming you personally mate.
Well I know man, just saying that it's wrong to imply that it's somehow just for all 330 million of us to receive some sort of collective comeuppance, "reaping what we've sown".

Sorry, I guess I'm being overly sensitive tbh.
Americans are by far the biggest victims of Trump. It's been horrible to see so many of you suffer from afar. But Trump did not elect himself and tens of millions of Americans need to be held to account for his Presidency.
Honestly part of fixing it is taking those people's grievances seriously. I mean, yeah, the QAnon guy shouting at the Capitol Hill cop today is probably beyond the pale, but I really believe we can do more to work with the Trump base.

Nobody wants to swallow their pride though. It's all very discouraging.
You could almost say that there a number of Trump supporters who are beyond the pale - they are ... I don't know... is 'deplorables' a good word?

However, the other half of Trump supporters just feel that the government has let them down and are desperate for change. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well.
"You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? [Laughter/applause]. The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic — you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people, now have 11 million. He tweets and retweets offensive, hateful, mean-spirited rhetoric. Now some of those folks, they are irredeemable, but thankfully they are not America.

"But the other basket, the other basket, and I know because I see friends from all over America here. I see friends from Florida and Georgia and South Carolina and Texas, as well as you know New York and California. But that other basket of people who are people who feel that government has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures, and they are just desperate for change. It doesn't really even matter where it comes from. They don't buy everything he says but he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won't wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroine, feel like they're in a dead-end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well."
Least of all Trump and his enablers except to the extent that each of these people can cast a vote, or will do in the future.

As an aside, do the demands pass the test of reasonableness (subjective), how may of the grievances have been whipped up?

That's not to say there are not real grievances and injustices in the US, for example, but I suspect that many of these have been elevated, inflated and made more real in the eyes of some people, while others, such as health care equity, job protections and low wages, have been actively diminished, ignored or expounded as fundamentally bad for the very people they would help.

It is rank hypocrisy to cry crocodile tears for the very same people you claim to be sympathetic towards, who are objecting and rioting, when your own philosophies cause them to be shat on from a great height. That goes for Trump as much as it goes to anyone who doesn't support equatable healthcare, etc.
User avatar
Winnie
Posts: 18263
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Winnie »

MrJonno wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:33 pm Congresswoman whatserface just pointed out the scary fact that Trump currently has the nuclear codes but he's not allowed to use twitter
That is terrifyingly funny
User avatar
Gavin Duffy
Posts: 17176
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Auckman wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:19 pm Anyway, I seriously think Trump should be removed asap. In the final 2 weeks, he could very well adopt the "fudge 'em, I'm already going so I've got nothing to lose" stance. He could do some more nutty things.
What's the craziest thing he might actually do? Nuke Iran?
Sawtooth the Beaver
Posts: 1255
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Sawtooth the Beaver »

Turnberry
Post Reply