ex-POTUS DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

All things Rugby
BokJock

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by BokJock »

Mick Mannock wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:57 pm
BokJock wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:54 pm
Mick Mannock wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:53 pm
ovalball wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:39 pm More legal trouble for Trump.
A top Georgia prosecutor is reportedly considering whether to open a criminal investigation into President Donald Trump's alleged "attempts to overturn the results of the state's 2020 election," the New York Times reported. In fact, the Times reported that a criminal probe into Trump has become "increasingly likely."
That will be interesting as it may then lead to an examination of the evidence that led Trump to so do.
:lol:

You still think there was fraud?!?
There is evidence for it.

Barr said there was too.
Did he? I thought he said there wasn't.

As did Lyndsay.

As did Raffensburger.

The Kraken?
towny

Post by towny »

Barr said there was no indication that there was evidence of fraud that could have had any bearing on the election.

Every clean election always small amounts of fraud. Finding one lady somewhere with 10 votes is evidence of fraud, but it’s not binary and never was.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

towny wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:25 pm Barr said there was no indication that there was evidence of fraud that could have had any bearing on the election.

Every clean election always small amounts of fraud. Finding one lady somewhere with 10 votes is evidence of fraud, but it’s not binary and never was.
Didn't they find 2 people who voted for dead people? Both Republicans?
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

I presumed Mick was talking about the kind of fraud being alleged by Trump, Rudy, Jim Jordan, Ted Cruz and the fine folk at Fox
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

I see a number of the Jan 6 rioters are expecting/hoping Trump will pardon them. Slim hope though because with the impeachment hearing set for after he left office any pardon to the rioters will just be further proof of his guilt
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

A top Georgia prosecutor is reportedly considering whether to open a criminal investigation into President Donald Trump's alleged "attempts to overturn the results of the state's 2020 election," the New York Times reported. In fact, the Times reported that a criminal probe into Trump has become "increasingly likely."
That will be interesting as it may then lead to an examination of the evidence that led Trump to so do.

Well if Trump had actual Evidence of actual Electoral fraud, but didn't bring it to the authorities then he's looking at a legal shitstorm of his own.
As a great man once said, covering up evidence of electoral fraud is a very serious offence.
People can go to jail if that's what they've been doing.
towny

Post by towny »

Jensrsa wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:27 pm
towny wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:25 pm Barr said there was no indication that there was evidence of fraud that could have had any bearing on the election.

Found a few more than that but it’s infinitesimal.
towny

Post by towny »

Yer Man wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:39 pm

Well if Trump had actual Evidence of actual Electoral fraud, but didn't bring it to the authorities then he's looking at a legal shitstorm of his own.
As a great man once said, covering up evidence of electoral fraud is a very serious offence.
People can go to jail if that's what they've been doing.
I mean, why wouldn’t Trump launch 60 court cases across a number of states and withhold the killer evidence?

It’s genius when you think about it. If he released the evidence he’s still he president, but this way he....... yeah, you know that it’s a great result for Trump. Genius.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Trump launched 60 cases?
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Mick Mannock wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:56 pm Trump launched 60 cases?
Technically I don't think he's launched any - his Campaign have and the GOP have and some supporters have. I think people have lost count of the total - I believe, but might be wrong, that none of the Trump Campaign lawsuits, suggested fraud - and in at least some of them, they went out of their way to point out they weren't making accusations of fraud.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Mick knows that, he's just stirring the pot.
Classic Mick.
towny

Post by towny »

Floppykid wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:06 pm

Classic Mick.
I’m not sure. He’s an idiot and has the bizarre opinion that he’s clever.
Cartman

Post by Cartman »

Was watching documentaries about the 2009 crash... how good does Bush look now compared this plum, wow
Imagine Trump trying to deal with that
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Saw on Twitter that somebody identified the woman with megaphone shouting directions as the gun toting rep. Lauren Boebet's mother
DOB

Post by DOB »

Cartman wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:15 pm Was watching documentaries about the 2009 crash... how good does Bush look now compared this plum, wow
I was watching an interview a while back talking to Bush and Clinton together, and how they’ve become good friends since 2008, and both have a lot of respect for each other and how they worked in the job.

And then I remembered Jon Stewart showing a clip of Bush Sr discussing policies that would be way to the left of the modern GOP, and after Stewart said “remember when we used to haaaaaaate that guy?”

It’s almost as if with every President they’ve had since Reagan, they want to go worse and worse, to make the last one look better and better. Which really makes you worry about who they’re going to nominate in 4 years.

Will Joe Exotic be out of jail by then?
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

EverReady wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:17 pm
Jensrsa wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:13 pm Saw on Twitter that somebody identified the woman with megaphone shouting directions as the gun toting rep. Lauren Boebet's mother
That's hardcore if that is true
This person said he/she notified the FBI

(We have loadshedding at the moment and it's a schlep to c&p )

Boebet and that Qanon woman were always suspect to me. Too keen with their guns
Last edited by Jensrsa on Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »

BokJock

Post by BokJock »

DOB wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:30 pm
Cartman wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:15 pm Was watching documentaries about the 2009 crash... how good does Bush look now compared this plum, wow
I was watching an interview a while back talking to Bush and Clinton together, and how they’ve become good friends since 2008, and both have a lot of respect for each other and how they worked in the job.

And then I remembered Jon Stewart showing a clip of Bush Sr discussing policies that would be way to the left of the modern GOP, and after Stewart said “remember when we used to haaaaaaate that guy?”

It’s almost as if with every President they’ve had since Reagan, they want to go worse and worse, to make the last one look better and better. Which really makes you worry about who they’re going to nominate in 4 years.

Just watching Crack on Netflix, if you think Trump should be behind bars (and I do) then Reagan should definitely have gone to jail.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

BokJock wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:45 pm
DOB wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:30 pm

Just watching Crack on Netflix, if you think Trump should be behind bars (and I do) then Reagan should definitely have gone to jail.

Yeah, Clinton looks good at the end as well.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

DOB wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:41 pm
Flyin Ryan wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:47 pm
DOB wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:19 pm
Flyin Ryan wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:40 pm
Jensrsa wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:36 pm Who is sworn in first, Biden or Harris?

If it is Biden, and he is assassinated before Harris is sworn in, Mike Pence will be president for the next 4 years as he will technically still be the VP
Vice President is always sworn in first.

Pence's term ends per the Constitution at noon on the 20th. In the event Biden cannot take office on the 20th for whatever reason, Harris becomes president. In the event Biden or Harris cannot take office on the 20th, it would go to Pelosi although myself and some constitutional law scholars think the 75-year-old presidential succession statute that allows members of Congress to assume the presidency is unconstitutional, ditto the President Pro Tempore of the Senate, so it could go to incoming Secretary of State Anthony Blinken.
Blinken has not been confirmed yet, so he presumably can't be anywhere in the succession until that happens.

On the whole "Designated Survivor" thing, someone in the chain of succession must miss the inauguration, right?

Without going into the strict constitutionality of it, I'd much sooner see the speaker of the house (effectively the same "job" as PM in parliamentary countries, and at least someone elected by the citizenry) take over as Pres than a cabinet member whose only electoral qualification is passing a yes/no vote in the senate.
(Speaker is not elected by the citizenry, and neither is Prime Minister, Taoiseach, etc. On another day I'd be willing to have this argument with Westminster-style democracy, but not right now. Just it's not like anyone outside of her San Francisco district actually voted for Pelosi.)

It's fraught with constitutional legal problems though. My concern is the statute is out there, if we ever get to the point we need the Speaker, the country is probably frazzled anyway due to an attack of some kind, and we would hardly need the constitutional crisis at that point. There's one of 2 easy ways to resolve the problem: make it specifically clear in the Constitution the Speaker and President Pro Tempore can assume the presidency in the event of vacancy via constitutional amendment, or revise the Presidential Succession Act of 1947 removing legislative officials from the list. But Congressmen are lazy and don't believe in fixing problems, so...
Only skimmed it.

My point about PMs is that at least Boris Johnson and Nancy Pelosi had to be elected by their constituents, even if not by people from the next town over. You suggest Blinken, who has some state dept and staffing experience, but doesn't appear to have been elected for anything ever.

It appears Harry Truman agreed with my appraisal, and also has other reasons;
In June 1945, two months after becoming president upon Franklin D. Roosevelt's death, Harry S. Truman sent a message to Congress urging the revision of the Presidential Succession Act of 1886. He recommended that the speaker of the House and president pro tempore of the Senate be restored to, and given priority in, the presidential line of succession over members of the Cabinet. The arrangement reflected Truman's belief that the president should not have the power to appoint to office "the person who would be my immediate successor in the event of my own death or inability to act", and that the presidency should, whenever possible, "be filled by an elective officer". Cabinet officials are appointed by the president, whereas the speaker and the president pro tempore are elected officials.
Yes, there are issues with the line of succession, and I don't think anyone would find it perfect, but the "acting president" (ie, anyone except the VP who takes the job) would just be a placeholder, and would know they're a placeholder. They may well actually run for the rescheduled election, and they'd have a significant leg-up on anyone else running at such short notice, but I think it would be clear to everyone where they stand.

And fwiw, the "officer" distinction disqualifying members of congress seems to me to be pretty extreme semantics.

There is also the question of proportionality, for those countries that use it. Here the party vote, as opposed to voting for your local candidate, can be considered a vote for the leader as much as the party's policies, though anyone outside the leaders electorate does not vote directly for that person.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

towny wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:10 pm
Floppykid wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:06 pm

Classic Mick.
I’m not sure. He’s an idiot and has the bizarre opinion that he’s clever.
I do not think either of us could make such a claim.
merry!

Post by merry! »

merry!

Post by merry! »

https://mobile.twitter.com/SecPompeo

telling it like it is.. :thumbup:

he'd make a good president.
merry!

Post by merry! »

EverReady wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:18 pm Image

So Merry what he is saying is he managed to close absolutely fück all of them. I suppose that's a thing he could advertise
man, i'm so glad i'm not in china atm.

things could get hot at any moment.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Video of the guy who was shown beating a cop with a flag pole being booked into jail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCIBOOd ... nsasonline
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

BokJock wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:28 pm I presumed Mick was talking about the kind of fraud being alleged by Trump, Rudy, Jim Jordan, Ted Cruz and the fine folk at Fox
He was certainly implying that. But then we know that Mick isn't a very honest person when it comes to Trump.
shanky

Post by shanky »

This thread has devolved into Merry shouting ‘Jehovah, Jehovah’ while Mick questions whether stones should really be called rocks.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:47 am Video of the guy who was shown beating a cop with a flag pole being booked into jail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCIBOOd ... nsasonline
He doesn't look like someone who believes he is facing a very long jail sentence. Maybe he's expecting Trump to pardon him.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

merry! wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:38 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol:
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

EverReady wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:02 am
Gavin Duffy wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:47 am Video of the guy who was shown beating a cop with a flag pole being booked into jail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCIBOOd ... nsasonline
The amount of the twats who have shaved and cut their hair :lol: SSSSHHHHH I'm invisible now
I think he might have fake tan on as well :lol:
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

The amount of the twats who have shaved and cut their hair :lol: SSSSHHHHH I'm invisible now
It's been said a billion times already but you do have to admire the level of stupid it takes to have avoided wearing a face covering during a stunt like this, at the one time in history where it's not only accepted but encouraged.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Jensrsa wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:48 pm
ovalball wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:37 pm
Mick Mannock wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:29 pm Sund requested National Guard on the 4th January. He was denied his request due to "optics"

Sund has resigned along with those who denied his request.
tl;dr: show
As thousands of National Guard troops now buttress security in Washington, D.C., and the nation, former U.S. Capitol Police Chief Steven Sund is standing by his actions, and those of his agency, on Jan. 6 — the day pro-Trump rioters attacked the Capitol under his watch.

In an interview with NPR, Sund says he had already planned to have 1,400 to 1,500 officers on duty, "all hands on deck." He said Capitol Police expected a large crowd but said nothing prepared them for what actually happened.

"We expected some additional violence maybe between some of the counterprotesters — that's one of the reasons we went to the all hands on deck, but nothing like what we saw," said the former longtime member of the D.C. Metropolitan Police Department. "I've been in law enforcement 30 years. I've never seen anything like that in my life."

Sund said he spoke to then-House Sergeant-at-Arms Paul Irving on Jan. 4 about additional aid from the National Guard but was turned down. He had hoped to have service members along the larger perimeter set with police barricades.

Sund said he believes Irving consulted with his Senate counterpart, Sergeant-at-Arms Michael Stenger, and then Irving told him there were concerns of optics. These were driven perhaps by "just the military being probably around the Capitol complex," said Sund who, along with Irving and Stenger, all resigned soon after the attack.

Sund said Capitol Police did not receive intelligence from the FBI or other agencies of an orchestrated attack. It was later revealed that the FBI was aware of some extremist activity and said it shared a warning with its partners, including the Capitol Police.

He also rejects claims that bias, or systemic racism, played a role in the decisions leading up to, or on, that day. He said it's unfair to compare security for the joint session with other high-profile events at the Capitol, such as the 2018 Supreme Court confirmation hearings for Justice Brett Kavanaugh, which saw more than 200 arrests.

"They must not have been watching the same video I was watching. I was watching officers fighting for their lives on Wednesday," Sund said. "That's no comparison — one was a demonstration and one is a violent attack."

However, he signaled that perhaps congressional oversight of Capitol Police may have had a role to play in the security failures.

"I know a number of a number of groups are investigating this incident. I think they'll find that it's a very convoluted, bureaucratic method of maintaining security in the nation's capital," Sund said.

The day after the attack the top security officials at the Capitol — the House sergeant-at-arms, Irving, and the Senate sergeant-at-arms, Stenger — resigned their posts following requests from top leaders of both parties. Sund resigned his position hours after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and others called for his removal.

On Jan. 7, Pelosi said she had not talked to Sund when she called for him to step down.

"And I think Mr. Sund – he hasn't even called us since this happened," Pelosi told reporters. "So, I have made him aware that I would be saying that we're calling for his resignation."

An aide to Pelosi later clarified she was referring to the hours since the last conversation with Sund, which occurred early in the evening Jan. 6.

Sund told NPR he spoke with Pelosi three times on Jan. 6, including a call with top leaders about reconvening in the House and Senate to continue the count of the electoral votes.

"It was very chaotic that evening, I know. I can only imagine just how busy Speaker Pelosi was that night. I know I had been on at least three phone calls with her," he said.

Members of the National Guard surround Capitol Hill on Thursday in preparation for next week's presidential inauguration.
Brendan Smialowski/AFP via Getty Images
One phone call occurred at 6:25 p.m. ET, Sund says, when he spoke to Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell to coordinate their returns back into their respective chambers.

Sund told NPR on Friday that he increasingly believes the insurrection was part of a coordinated, planned attack on the Capitol. Specifically, Sund believes that reports of pipe bombs planted at the headquarter offices of the Republican National Committee and the Democratic National Committee in southeast Washington were part of an effort to distract police as the violent mob approached the Capitol complex. The Justice Department said it has "no direct evidence of kill or capture teams" but is still looking into what kind of planning there was.

Sund said moments before those reports came through, he was in the operations center for Capitol Police and watching the rally with President Trump at the Ellipse.

This was not a demonstration. This was not a failure to plan for a demonstration. This was a planned, coordinated attack on the United States Capitol.

"We had the volume up a little bit so I can kind of hear what was going on, listening for anything — anything that was going on down there," Sund said. Then "we had to turn the volume down to, you know, again, to direct our attention toward the first pipe bomb that was over at the Republican National Committee."

"I think that's all part of the concerted and coordinated efforts that led to the violent attack," Sund said. "Those were diversionary tactics to pull resources away from the Hill in advance of that attack. I honestly believe that."

Sund said he believes new information since released by the FBI and others signal this could have been part of a coordinated attack.

"This was not a demonstration. This was not a failure to plan for a demonstration. This was a planned, coordinated attack on the United States Capitol," Sund said.

Yes. But what happened at the time of the violence ? Why did it take so long for more security forces to arrive. Was Trump being truthful when he claimed he immediately sent in the National Guard. Who was responsible for the delays ?
There was a major breakdown in preparedness for Jan 6, both before and during

Trump had been promising something major to happen for a few weeks before already but on the day there was very limited security, the NG hadn't been mobilised except to act as traffic cops and there seemed to be no emergency plans in place.

To blame one functionary for the problem is silly, this lack of preparedness comes down on the Capitol Police, the MPD and the Washington mayor's office, to name just a few
Since there is no Governor in D.C, the President himself is Commander in Chief
Only he or the Secretary of Defense (as individuals) can mobilise the Guard.

Congress can do it, but only via formal (vote) means

Everyone else makes requests, then to be considered by the Secretary.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

merry! wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:04 am

So Merry what he is saying is he managed to close absolutely fück all of them. I suppose that's a thing he could advertise

Yeah I can really see the Yanks attacking China any moment.

:uhoh:
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

We should always bear in mind that it was Merka that produced Jim Jones.
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

fonzeee wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:09 am
It's been said a billion times already but you do have to admire the level of stupid it takes to have avoided wearing a face covering during a stunt like this, at the one time in history where it's not only accepted but encouraged.
To be fair, it might be the one time in history where it's accepted and encouraged, but finding yourself in a crowd like that is the one place, in that one time history, where it's actually NOT going to be accepted and encouraged.

"Why y'all come here with a mask? It's a hoax. You pro-Biden? You ANTIFA?"
merry!

Post by merry! »

feckwanker wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:15 am
merry! wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:04 am

Yeah I can really see the Yanks attacking China any moment.

:uhoh:
taiwan, buddy...something to do with microchips.

here. first.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Jensrsa wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:27 pm

Why do they put dead people on the ballot?
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... mp-pardons

Rioters begging Trump for pardons even as he is busy chucking them under a bus to save himself. It's quite depressing how eagerly people lad down and spread their legs for this guy. "Fuck me, Donald, fuck me" Ugh.
merry!

Post by merry! »

acting secretary of defence chris miller down with the troops in dc recently..

https://files.catbox.moe/lpd80h.mp4