ex-POTUS DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

All things Rugby
merry!

Re: ex-POTUS DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by merry! »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:30 am
merry! wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:10 am
Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:04 am
merry! wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:58 am convincing rebuttal of a feeble and frivolous prosecution.

quite right not to waste any more time.
After a long series of spectacular defeats you are still fighting on. Even Mick had the self awareness to fudge off. :?
cancel culture is the preserve of the vacuous.

suits you. :)
How about own your shit culture?

Have a go, mate.

8)
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

fatcat wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:33 am Ah, the covid death trollster on his high horse again.
A very low horse. Actually, a little donkey.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Muttonbirds wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:46 pm
Late last year, Nikki Haley had a friend who was going through a hard time. He had lost his job and was being evicted from his house. He was getting bad advice from bad people who were filling his head with self-destructive fantasies. He seemed to be losing touch with reality. Out of concern, Haley called the man. “I want to make sure you’re okay,” she told him. “You’re my president, but you’re also my friend.”
:lol:

https://www.politico.com/interactives/2 ... ys-choice/
A long (but worthwhile) read :thumbup:

She doesn’t come out of it all that well. But, you know, who ever does?
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Trump Is Guilty
There’s no doubt who must be held responsible for attacking the Capitol and trying to overturn the results of the election.

If you fail to hold him accountable, it can happen again.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/12/opin ... uilty.html
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

Whatever wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:55 am Details about McCarthy's phone call with Trump during the Insurrection:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/12/politics ... index.html

"Well, Kevin, I guess these people are more upset about the election than you are," Trump said, according to lawmakers who were briefed on the call afterward by McCarthy.

Trump's comment about the would-be insurrectionists caring more about the election results than McCarthy did was first mentioned by Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler, a Republican from Washington state, in a town hall earlier this week, and was confirmed to CNN by Herrera Beutler and other Republicans briefed on the conversation.

Good stuff.
How do they not impeach him after that.

How does McCarthy still stand by him, he went to visit him at Maralago FFS.

Read the article Merry! Your man is guilty as sin. It was obvious before this phone call became public it is even more obvious now.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

There would've been plenty if phonecalls between reps in the Capitol and the Whitehouse - the riot was over six hours.

The impeachment articles should've included failure to protect the Capitol.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/1 ... y-5-468985

I guess the vote will come down to how many GOP Senators will vote to convince regardless of the risks for their future political career and how many Senators are not going for reelection anyway and can be swayed into voting guilty.

If you can get 6 of the first kind and 4 of the other, Trump will be impeached. I suspect there is a lot of negotiation within the GOP right now with a lot of true GOP Senator praying for Trump to be convicted but afraid to come out of the wood for fear of facing a primary candidate from the Trump movement at the next elections.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

BokJock wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:23 am
Whatever wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:55 am Details about McCarthy's phone call with Trump during the Insurrection:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/12/politics ... index.html

"Well, Kevin, I guess these people are more upset about the election than you are," Trump said, according to lawmakers who were briefed on the call afterward by McCarthy.

Trump's comment about the would-be insurrectionists caring more about the election results than McCarthy did was first mentioned by Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler, a Republican from Washington state, in a town hall earlier this week, and was confirmed to CNN by Herrera Beutler and other Republicans briefed on the conversation.

Good stuff.
How do they not impeach him after that.

How does McCarthy still stand by him, he went to visit him at Maralago FFS.

Read the article Merry! Your man is guilty as sin. It was obvious before this phone call became public it is even more obvious now.
As you can see from the time on that article, this information is brand new and might have come too late. I see that the house managers want to call a witness, wonder who.

Anyone else think that Van der Veen comes across as a bit too angry to win over people, been warned 3 times at least for language not conducive to discourse. I suspect Trump probably likes him though.

Voting on whether to call witnesses. Graham first voting nay, then changing to yay. That guy is flip-flopping all over the place; enjoys the attention. Still only got 5 GOP senators to call witnesses. So if they got Graham, then 1 of the 5 usual suspects (+ Cassidy) must have dropped away.
Last edited by Whatever on Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

They've just voted on something, immediately after the vote was tallied someone asked what they just voted on. "We can't tell you" answered the chairman. Apparently there's no discussion allowed during the vote. :lol:
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

CrazyIslander wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:35 pm They've just voted on something, immediately after the vote was tallied someone asked what they just voted on. "We can't tell you" answered the chairman. Apparently there's no discussion allowed during the vote. :lol:
I managed to understand it, bit worrying that Trump's lawyer, ven der Veen, didn't.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Senate recess until 12:30 Eastern, when the rugby is on the TV :( . What to do.

So this was all unexpected; this was supposed to be over today with no witnesses and the vote. Now it's likely to play and play, not good for the Covid bill :(

Speculation over which witnesses the Dems will call. Most likely Jaime Herrera Beutler - see several posts up - who may be subpoenaed willingly or not; will be bad for Trump and McCarthy. Also talk of Mayor Bowser and Pelosi appearing too, although I'm not sure how useful the latter would be for this.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Whatever wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:50 pm Senate recess until 12:30 Eastern, when the rugby is on the TV :( . What to do.

So this was all unexpected; this was supposed to be over today with no witnesses and the vote. Now it's likely to play and play, not good for the Covid bill :(

Speculation over which witnesses the Dems will call. Most likely Jaime Herrera Beutler - see several posts up - who may be subpoenaed willingly or not; will be bad for Trump and McCarthy. Also talk of Mayor Bowser and Pelosi appearing too, although I'm not sure how useful the latter would be for this.
Can't they their time and schedule only 1 day a week dedicated to the impeachment hearings while the other 4 days are dedicated to the legislative affairs?
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

TheFrog wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:45 pm
Whatever wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:50 pm Senate recess until 12:30 Eastern, when the rugby is on the TV :( . What to do.

Can't they their time and schedule only 1 day a week dedicated to the impeachment hearings while the other 4 days are dedicated to the legislative affairs?
The Republicans wouldn't go for that; they'll want to obstruct. Biden would want that, but the Senate doesn't seem to be inclined to multi-tasking.

I think the Clinton impeachment went on for 37 days. Disastrous if that happened again.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Anyhow...

After coming back from the break Senate leaders, the House managers and Trump’s legal team announced they had agreed to insert the statement of Herrera Beutler from a CNN report into the trial record, rather than taking a deposition.

The House impeachment managers and Trump's team then moved on to their closing arguments, signaling the trial would end without witnesses.

So that was all a storm in a tea cup. It should end today, in an acquital despite Beutler's statement. Probably best, save a lot of time to get to the same result.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Schumer should have reached out to Mitch and offered him to drag the trial for 20 months, with a vote after the Primary were over. Then he could have had the support of the 10 GOP Senators needed for impeachment.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

57 - 43. :(

So got 7 Republicans in the end, not enough.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Not unexpected. And like last time the usual suspects will see it as proof that Trump was innocent rather than proof that the US system is a complete joke.
Salient

Post by Salient »

Whatever wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:50 pm 57 - 43. :(

So the Republican party endorses attempts at overthrowing the Government, the Democratic strategy over the next few elections should be crystal clear, naturally they'll make a dog's breakfast of it.

As usual the rich white guy gets away with pretty much murder, wonder how Merry and his Trumpsters are going to spin that.
Cartman

Post by Cartman »

Trump is a kunt but lets be honest now those spackers couldn't overthrow shit
It would have been a bloody massacre but over in a day worst case scenario
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Salient wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:14 pm

So the Republican party endorses attempts at overthrowing the Government, the Democratic strategy over the next few elections should be crystal clear, naturally they'll make a dog's breakfast of it.

As usual the rich white guy gets away with pretty much murder, wonder how Merry and his Trumpsters are going to spin that.
Good speech by Schumer, now McConnell strongly condemning Trump and saying he provoked the riot. But he "is not eligible for conviction". Sure Mitch. Continues to walk a fine line.

McConnell may regret this in 2024. We all might.

Edit: Very good point being made that McConnell refused to convict due to thinking this was unconstitutional. Yet the question of 'constitutionality' was voted on earlier by the senate and passed. Therefore this was constitutional, yet McConnell chooses himself not to accept that and use that as his excuse.
Last edited by Whatever on Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Cartman wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:19 pm Trump is a kunt but lets be honest now those spackers couldn't overthrow shit
It would have been a bloody massacre but over in a day worst case scenario
True, but not guilty on grounds of incompetence isn't usually a successful defence strategy.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

A rushed job sadly. Hats off to the Republicans who had the balls to vote yes.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Salient wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:14 pm

The Republican Party is officially the Trump Party.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Right - everyone has had their token breastbeating and political posturing - now get on with running the country FFS.

He's not worth the time and effort being put into revenge antics.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Enzedder wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:36 pm Right - everyone has had their token breastbeating and political posturing - now get on with running the country FFS.

I really think it was more important than just revenge. It was, or should have been, more about the future than about Trump himself. And I'm not just talking 4 years time.

But it's done now, so any potential future action against Trump should be left up to those law enforcement agencies who may feel they there is a case to answer.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Trump vindicated by the dems inability to find any supporting evidence, which of course we all knew didn't exist anyway.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

fatcat wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:07 pm Trump vindicated by the dems inability to find any supporting evidence, which of course we all knew didn't exist anyway.
Ah yes, the storming of the seat of government when they were ratifying the election result was all just a big misunderstanding. :roll:
Last edited by Muttonbirds on Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

fatcat wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:07 pm Trump vindicated by the dems inability to find any supporting evidence, which of course we all knew didn't exist anyway.
Not even the stuff they fabricated?

Dems: We want witnesses
Defense: Let's just go home
Dems: No, we really want witnesses
Defense: We will subpoena Pelosi
Dems: let's just go home

Sorry, I know I did say I would abandon this thread, but I did not expect Democrats to invent evidence. Their lies gave me the excuse.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Mick Mannock wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:16 pm
Not even the stuff they fabricated?

Dems: We want witnesses
Defense: Let's just go home
Dems: No, we really want witnesses
Defense: We will subpoena Pelosi
Dems: let's just go home

Sorry, I know I did say I would abandon this thread, but I did not expect Democrats to invent evidence. Their lies gave me the excuse.
You are not a man of your word. Can't say I'm surprised.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:54 pm
Enzedder wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:36 pm Right - everyone has had their token breastbeating and political posturing - now get on with running the country FFS.

I really think it was more important than just revenge. It was, or should have been, more about the future than about Trump himself. And I'm not just talking 4 years time.

But it's done now, so any potential future action against Trump should be left up to those law enforcement agencies who may feel they there is a case to answer.
Yes, this was about showing future tyrants that their pathway is closed.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:14 pm
Ah yes, the storming of the seat of government when they were ratifying the election result was all just a big misunderstanding. :roll:
Yep, that's pretty much the dems' stance on the issue. This happened, therefore Trump. Lol.
merry!

Post by merry! »

yet another attempt at projection from the establishment fails (in full view of everyone).

tick tock.. :)
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Trump gets off on a technicality and look who all turns up. It's the British far right in lockstep. 8)
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Called it! :D
Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:07 pm Not unexpected. And like last time the usual suspects will see it as proof that Trump was innocent rather than proof that the US system is a complete joke.
This result is a good reflection of US politics in general, where the minority of votes often decide the outcome.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Whatever wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:34 pm Trump gets off on a technicality and look who all turns up. It's the British far right in goosestep. 8)
Fixed. :nod:
merry!

Post by merry! »

the don's only crime was using the word 'fight'.

as for the fabricated 'evidence'... :blush:
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Trump has released a statement after the acquittal:
https://people.com/politics/trump-react ... ent-trial/

Amongst other stuff:
"I always have, and always will, be a champion for the unwavering rule of law, the heroes of law enforcement, and the right of Americans to peacefully and honorably debate the issues of the day without malice and without hate," he continued.

He also went on to thank the "United States Senators and Members of Congress who stood proudly for the Constitution we all revere and for the sacred legal principles at the heart of our country."

"We have so much work ahead of us, and soon we will emerge with a vision for a bright, radiant, and limitless American future. Together there is nothing we cannot accomplish," Trump shared.
He's a cheeky monkey.

Mitch, you had your chance.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

merry! wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:00 am :lol:

the don's only crime was using the word 'fight'.

as for the fabricated 'evidence'... :blush:
We know you don't actually believe he was innocent though. You're just lobbing your grenades and winding up the libs.

:P
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Presumably trying to not make a martyr of him so his kids can't latch onto that. Can be the only reason bar they actually want to see him elected again. He absolutely will now go for it.
merry!

Post by merry! »

EverReady wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:23 am Presumably trying to not make a martyr of him so his kids can't latch onto that. Can be the only reason bar they actually want to see him elected again. He absolutely will now go for it.

let's hope nobody uses the word 'fight' in a political context in future.

gonna be tough for the lefties.