Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 2557, 2558, 2559, 2560, 2561, 2562, 2563 ... 2689  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:46 am 

I mean, fonz said he voted for Hillary so calling him a MAGA is pretty hysterical. There was an article in the Washington Post yesterday by Josh Rogin (definitely not a Trump supporter) talking about how the reaction to China’s handling of the crisis crosses party lines more than maybe any other issue in America. There have been polls in Canada with similar results, the majority of Canadians want the Chinese government to take responsibility for the spread of covid. Not everything is about Trump.

Quote:
Two thirds of Canadians (66%) believe the Government of the People’s Republic of China should take responsibility for its role in the COVID-19 outbreak. This includes majorities of Canadians who voted for the Conservatives (76%), the Liberals (66%) and the New Democrats (61%) in the 2019 federal election.

Quote:
The bipartisan consensus on China doesn’t stop there. Ninety percent of Republicans said the Chinese government is responsible for the spread of the virus, compared to 67 percent of Democrats.

My guess would be that there are similar numbers in places like the UK and Australia. When the Chinese government lied to the world about the severity of the virus, probably concealed 10s of thousands of deaths and then said the US military caused it, you’re going to get an extremely negative reaction.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:52 am 

Even though the moon is waning the TDS continues unabated.

There goes another mitigating factor.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:06 am 

Bowens wrote:
I mean, fonz said he voted for Hillary so calling him a MAGA is pretty hysterical. There was an article in the Washington Post yesterday by Josh Rogin (definitely not a Trump supporter) talking about how the reaction to China’s handling of the crisis crosses party lines more than maybe any other issue in America. There have been polls in Canada with similar results, the majority of Canadians want the Chinese government to take responsibility for the spread of covid. Not everything is about Trump.

Quote:
Two thirds of Canadians (66%) believe the Government of the People’s Republic of China should take responsibility for its role in the COVID-19 outbreak. This includes majorities of Canadians who voted for the Conservatives (76%), the Liberals (66%) and the New Democrats (61%) in the 2019 federal election.

Quote:
The bipartisan consensus on China doesn’t stop there. Ninety percent of Republicans said the Chinese government is responsible for the spread of the virus, compared to 67 percent of Democrats.

My guess would be that there are similar numbers in places like the UK and Australia. When the Chinese government lied to the world about the severity of the virus, probably concealed 10s of thousands of deaths and then said the US military caused it, you’re going to get an extremely negative reaction.

Well you just said it right there. More than 2/3 of democrats do say that the government of China needs to take responsibility for the spread of Covid-19. And they do.

The problem is with Trump trying to act like the whole thing is their fault, like he had no chance to address it. The guy is, more than any president in history, so quick to claim credit for anything going right (“the stock market’s going up folks, you’re welcome I’m doing a trenmenjus stupenjus job”) and deflect blame onto others when anything goes wrong (“Obama didn’t make a vaccine for Coronavirus”) and the whole China thing is just another part of that. When the first positives for Covid showed up in America, literally the only thing he did was another travel ban.

The point is, it’s no use blaming China now; there’ll be plenty of time for that after the disease is stabilized around the world. Covid is in America right now, and has to be addressed. But nothing he’s done about it has given the impression of someone who’s in charge, or competent, or capable of making the decisions to take charge.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:40 am 

Looks like the gibberer-in-chief has got the message to tone it down. It was all well and good at the start for these extended Covid daily briefings, getting in front of national TV, but it's been too much for too long and he's now cut back to a mere 20 minutes :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:50 am 

Sandstorm wrote:
Chilli wrote:
Smutley wrote:
I see Trump has given up blaming the Chinese and has moved onto the WHO.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/07/tru ... o-funding/

Absolutely pathetic.

Did you really expect any else from him?

Quote:
On Tuesday evening, Trump insisted that the WHO “called it wrong” when it came to Covid-19.

“They really called every aspect wrong,” he said. “They said there’s no big deal, there’s no big problem.”

He's literally a lying wanker every time he opens his mouth.

Remove the word literally from your sentence for complete accuracy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:29 am 

wamberal99 wrote:
BokJock wrote:
Trump flat out lying about voter fraud again

1 million people illegally voted in California, apparently

Straight out of the Joseph Goebbels play book. "If you tell a lie that is big enough......."

And often enough.......

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:52 am 

Derwyn wrote:
Trump in the presser was asking why Obama hasn’t come out to support “Sleepy Joe”. The Donald then insinuates that Obama knows something about Joe Biden, that the press doesn’t know, and that is why is he staying quiet. The Donald also suggested he knows.

What does Trump know?

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:52 am 

DOB wrote:
The guy is, more than any president in history, so quick to claim credit for anything going right (“the stock market’s going up folks, you’re welcome I’m doing a trenmenjus stupenjus job”)

And I'll note again their stock market was only going up by the measures it was for largely really stupid reasons, it's not even anything someone should be wanting to take credit for. But it does allow a simple story to be told

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:53 am 

Flockwitt wrote:
Looks like the gibberer-in-chief has got the message to tone it down. It was all well and good at the start for these extended Covid daily briefings, getting in front of national TV, but it's been too much for too long and he's now cut back to a mere 20 minutes :lol:

Did he call anyone a terrible reporter after they had the cheek to ask him a question ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:08 am 

Anonymous. wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:

Did he call anyone a terrible reporter after they had the cheek to ask him a question ?

Or did he praise anyone for failing to answer a question and merely obfuscating when asked how would people without insurance would be able to seek treatment/insurance coverage?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:48 am 

Bowens wrote:
I mean, fonz said he voted for Hillary so calling him a MAGA is pretty hysterical.
Just a tad.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:09 am 

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0410/11297 ... s-tracker/

Quote:
A handful of holdout US churches plan to hold in-person services on Easter Sunday, saying their right to worship in person outweighs public health officials' warnings against holding large gatherings during the coronavirus outbreak.

Most US churches are expected to be closed on Sunday, but not all of them.

"Satan and a virus will not stop us," said the Reverend Tony Spell, pastor of the evangelical Life Tabernacle Church near Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He expects a crowd of more than 2,000 to gather in worship at his megachurch on Sunday.

The Covid-19 pandemic has claimed more than 14,700 lives across the United States and infected more than 431,700 people, with officials predicting the worst is yet to come.

Major US religious institutions, including Catholic dioceses and major Protestant denominations, will hold religious services online as well as through local broadcast radio and television

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:10 am 

Mr Mike wrote:
Bowens wrote:
I mean, fonz said he voted for Hillary so calling him a MAGA is pretty hysterical.
Just a tad.

Fonz said that Trump had his uses a few pages ago.

I asked what uses he could possibly have but have received no reply.

It may be that he missed my post, but I seriously cannot think of any valid reason for Trump's incumbency that would be beneficial to anyone other than Trump, his family and his income bracket.

I look forward to being proved wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:15 am 

piquant wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:

Or did he praise anyone for failing to answer a question and merely obfuscating when asked how would people without insurance would be able to seek treatment/insurance coverage?

I am reminded of the obsequious nature of PMQ in the British Parliament where ruling party MPs ask questions such as "Would my right honorable friend agree that he has handled this matter in an exceptional manner and deserves the fullest of praise for his actions?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:26 am 

Derwyn wrote:
Trump in the presser was asking why Obama hasn’t come out to support “Sleepy Joe”. The Donald then insinuates that Obama knows something about Joe Biden, that the press doesn’t know, and that is why is he staying quiet. The Donald also suggested he knows.

What does Trump know?

That Bidan is not a USA citizen and was born in (insert country of suspected birth here).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:39 am 

easyray wrote:
Derwyn wrote:

What does Trump know?

That Bidan is not a USA citizen and was born in (insert country of suspected birth here).

Bidan does sound dodgy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:46 am 

normilet wrote:
https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0410/1129745-coronavirus-tracker/

Quote:
A handful of holdout US churches plan to hold in-person services on Easter Sunday, saying their right to worship in person outweighs public health officials' warnings against holding large gatherings during the coronavirus outbreak.

"Satan and a virus will not stop us," said the Reverend Tony Spell, pastor of the evangelical Life Tabernacle Church near Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He expects a crowd of more than 2,000 to gather in worship at his megachurch on Sunday.

The Covid-19 pandemic has claimed more than 14,700 lives across the United States and infected more than 431,700 people, with officials predicting the worst is yet to come.

Major US religious institutions, including Catholic dioceses and major Protestant denominations, will hold religious services online as well as through local broadcast radio and television

fcuk it, let them at it ; only downside is they'll infect sane people also

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:49 am 

ticketlessinseattle wrote:
normilet wrote:
https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0410/1129745-coronavirus-tracker/

Quote:

fcuk it, let them at it ; only downside is they'll infect sane people also
Isn’t the biggest risk that the overwhelming number of them will probably not become infected, affirming their core beliefs and encouraging more of this?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:30 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
Bowens wrote:
Just a tad.

Fonz said that Trump had his uses a few pages ago.

I asked what uses he could possibly have but have received no reply.

It may be that he missed my post, but I seriously cannot think of any valid reason for Trump's incumbency that would be beneficial to anyone other than Trump, his family and his income bracket.

I look forward to being proved wrong.

You’re kind of an old fool though so why would fonz need to prove anything to you? I get you’ve got a serious case of TDS but there’s the possibility for nuance when it comes to Trump and coronavirus.

Your post offers nothing to the discussion apart from giving you the satisfaction of insulting me, which you are welcome to do if it makes you feel good about yourself. And God knows, you Trump fluffers do need everything you can get to make yourselves feel superior.

Here is the exchange to which I refer.
Rinkals wrote:
fonzeee wrote:
Muttonbirds wrote:
Nostradumbass will eventually have most of the US believe he saved them from Coronavirus single-handedly.

Look, there are definitely people who think he shits gold and walks on water.

Many more don't particularly care for him but realize he has his uses.

He has his uses?

What use can he possibly have? apart from pursuing the interests of his own income bracket?

Seriously, I would like to see what benefits he offers which may be worth the damage that he is doing.

No wonder the rest of the World has such a poor opinion of Americans if "many more" are happy to be represented by the likes of Trump.

If Fonz is unable or unwilling to respond, or indeed, if he just cannot be bothered, I fully understand.

However, it was a serious question.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:55 pm 

Mr Mike wrote:
easyray wrote:
Derwyn wrote:

What does Trump know?

Bidan does sound dodgy.

Got the LGBTQ vote sewn up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:07 pm 

Rinkals wrote:
piquant wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:

I am reminded of the obsequious nature of PMQ in the British Parliament where ruling party MPs ask questions such as "Would my right honorable friend agree that he has handled this matter in an exceptional manner and deserves the fullest of praise for his actions?"

https://youtu.be/6Ejga4kJUts?t=94

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:23 pm 

Chilli wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:
BokJock wrote:
Trump flat out lying about voter fraud again

1 million people illegally voted in California, apparently

Straight out of the Joseph Goebbels play book. "If you tell a lie that is big enough......."

And often enough.......

Sorry I misspoke, it was 1 million and 807 thousand million illegal votes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:24 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Rinkals, you are an idiot.

After 3 weeks of no one answering his posts he got a nibble. That is a win for him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:40 pm 

Man In Black wrote:

I mean, the guy is from South Africa right? An absolute disaster of a country. Why sit on the internet all day and moan and wail about a foreign president when your own country is such a clusterfuck? So weird.

Why is it weird?

Trump is an utterly fascinating character, like King Joffrey, he is the best part of the show.

Ps. You are quoting a guy who lives in Brexitland, whose post count on this thread would far exceed anyone else’s by a long long way*

*and by even more if you included Santa’s “contributions”

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:46 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:49 pm 

BokJock wrote:
Man In Black wrote:

I mean, the guy is from South Africa right? An absolute disaster of a country. Why sit on the internet all day and moan and wail about a foreign president when your own country is such a clusterfuck? So weird.

Why is it weird?

Trump is an utterly fascinating character, like King Joffrey, he is the best part of the show.

Ps. You are quoting a guy who lives in Brexitland, whose post count on this thread would far exceed anyone else’s by a long long way.

Actually, my question was not aimed at him, but at Fonz.

That's fine if Fonz doesn't want to answer; I was just curious.

And, to be quite honest, I really think that Cyril Ramaphosa is doing a better job than Donald Trump (not that that's all that difficult).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:01 pm 

https://www.newyorker.com/news/letter-from-trumps-washington/the-coronavirus-and-how-the-united-states-ended-up-with-nurses-wearing-garbage-bags?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=onsite-share&utm_brand=the-new-yorker&utm_social-type=earned

Quote:
He reached out to a White House contact, and, when he mentioned the Trump Administration’s coronavirus task force that was asking for Silicon Valley’s help, the response was, “Which one?” Trump had enlisted his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, to help with the pandemic response, and his murky new effort, which was not yet public, was already seen as working at cross-purposes with the official task force, overseen by Vice-President Mike Pence. Ries also learned that the Web site he had been asked to create was, in fact, not needed. “It took me three hours on the phone to realize the world did not need another Web site to solve the problem,” Ries told me.

What they did not foresee was that the federal government might never come to the rescue. They did not realize this was a government failure by design—not a problem to be fixed but a policy choice by President Trump that either would not or could not be undone. “No one can believe it. That’s the No. 1 problem with the whole situation: the facts are known, but they are inconceivable,” Ries told me. “So we are just in denial.”

Independent reporting has corroborated what Ries and other volunteers saw for themselves: “a fragmented procurement system now descending into chaos,” as the Associated Press put it. The news agency found that not a single shipment of medical-grade N95 masks arrived at U.S. ports during the month of March. The federal government was not only disorganized; it was absent. Federal agencies waited until mid-March to begin placing bulk orders for the urgently needed supplies, the A.P. found. The first large U.S. government order to the big U.S. producer 3M, for a hundred and seventy-three million dollars’ worth of N95 masks, was not placed until March 21st—the same day that Ries got his first phone call about the Kushner effort. The order, according to the A.P., did not even require the supplies to be delivered until the end of April, far too late to help with the thousands of cases already overwhelming hospitals

Earlier this week, the office of the inspector general for the Department of Health and Human Services released a survey of three hundred and twenty-three hospitals in forty-six states, D.C., and Puerto Rico, and it found “widespread shortages of PPE,” and also of other equipment. After the report was released, Trump claimed it was “wrong,” tweeted that it was “Another Fake Dossier!,” and attacked the principal deputy I.G. who prepared it because she had also served during the Obama Administration. Trump, of course, omitted the fact that she is a career official who also served in the Clinton and George W. Bush Administrations.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:00 pm 

normilet wrote:

He is shooting for being a retarded version of Prof. Pangloss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:16 pm 

DOB wrote:
Bowens wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well you just said it right there. More than 2/3 of democrats do say that the government of China needs to take responsibility for the spread of Covid-19. And they do.

The problem is with Trump trying to act like the whole thing is their fault, like he had no chance to address it. The guy is, more than any president in history, so quick to claim credit for anything going right (“the stock market’s going up folks, you’re welcome I’m doing a trenmenjus stupenjus job”) and deflect blame onto others when anything goes wrong (“Obama didn’t make a vaccine for Coronavirus”) and the whole China thing is just another part of that. When the first positives for Covid showed up in America, literally the only thing he did was another travel ban.

The point is, it’s no use blaming China now; there’ll be plenty of time for that after the disease is stabilized around the world. Covid is in America right now, and has to be addressed. But nothing he’s done about it has given the impression of someone who’s in charge, or competent, or capable of making the decisions to take charge.

Close to 80% of Americans want China held responsible and over 70% want US companies to pull back from the country. Compared to about half (maybe less) who even disapprove of Trump’s handling of the virus. We will see investigations into both but it’s clear what the majority see as the more pressing concern, by a wide margin. I hate to tell you but you are going to hear a lot more about China given Biden’s record there. Bernie was actually pretty tough on them (no to PNTR, called them authoritarian and Xi a dictator, said he would protect Taiwan). With Biden, Trump is going to bring it up daily. You have his history on trade, the whole Hunter deal, the recent comments downplaying their threat. When you have almost unheard of numbers like 70-80% of Americans in agreement on something, it’s guaranteed he will go back to it again and again and it will probably be effective.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:47 pm 

Quote:
Captain Trump of the RMS Titanic:

There isn't any iceberg.
There was an iceberg but it's in a totally different ocean.
The iceberg is in this ocean but it will melt very soon.
There is an iceberg but we didn't hit the iceberg.
We hit the iceberg, but the damage will be repaired very shortly.
The iceberg is a Chinese iceberg.
We are taking on water but every passenger who wants a lifeboat can get a lifeboat, and they are beautiful lifeboats. Look, passengers need to ask nicely for the lifeboats if they want them.
We don't have any lifeboats, we're not lifeboat distributors.
Passengers should have planned for icebergs and brought their own lifeboats.
I really don't think we need that many lifeboats.
We have lifeboats and they're supposed to be our lifeboats, not the passengers' lifeboats.
The lifeboats were left on shore by the last captain of this ship.
Nobody could have foreseen the iceberg.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:50 pm 

Bowens wrote:
DOB wrote:
Bowens wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Close to 80% of Americans want China held responsible and over 70% want US companies to pull back from the country. Compared to about half (maybe less) who even disapprove of Trump’s handling of the virus. We will see investigations into both but it’s clear what the majority see as the more pressing concern, by a wide margin. I hate to tell you but you are going to hear a lot more about China given Biden’s record there. Bernie was actually pretty tough on them (no to PNTR, called them authoritarian and Xi a dictator, said he would protect Taiwan). With Biden, Trump is going to bring it up daily. You have his history on trade, the whole Hunter deal, the recent comments downplaying their threat. When you have almost unheard of numbers like 70-80% of Americans in agreement on something, it’s guaranteed he will go back to it again and again and it will probably be effective.

Blaming the other. History shows it really does work. For a while.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:09 pm 

Bowens wrote:
DOB wrote:
Bowens wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

When it comes to the campaign, though, Trump is going to try to blame everything on the bit he can't control (what China does day to day) to deflect from the utter mess he made of the things he could have controlled (PPE, supplies for medical staff, testing kits, speed of reaction, the general response, social distancing, defunding the CDC and dismantling the pandemic preparedness etc) and those are the things Biden needs to focus on.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:19 pm 

DOB wrote:

When it comes to the campaign, though, Trump is going to try to blame everything on the bit he can't control (what China does day to day) to deflect from the utter mess he made of the things he could have controlled (PPE, supplies for medical staff, testing kits, speed of reaction, the general response, social distancing, defunding the CDC and dismantling the pandemic preparedness etc) and those are the things Biden needs to focus on.

Or he could just distill it down to something your average person who voted for the Shitgibbon will understand !

You've lost your job, & unemployment is pathetically inadequate; & while the coal mines & oil industry got bailouts, you got squat !

Aka, The Economy Stupid !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:22 pm 

DOB wrote:
Bowens wrote:
DOB wrote:
Bowens wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

What you mention about the response is basically only effective with people who didn’t like him before the virus though. The numbers have barely shifted, it’s just the usual split along party lines. Whereas for a significant portion of Democrats the trade line on China resonates (especially the PNTR thing with Bernie voters) and it has become more pronounced in the last month or so. I didn’t check Twitter before I wrote my earlier post but I see Trump and all of his surrogates have been heavy on China stuff today. Get ready for 8 months of it, Biden is their dream opponent for this issue.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:56 pm 

I suspect that the current crisis will also increase scrutiny about who Biden picks as his running mate. Many anxious voters weighing up the limitations of Trump and a 2020 Biden, who is starting to look, sound and feel more like Leslie Nielsen as the process progresses, will want some bench strength. Pence will have some credibility having been through the process and that will put additional pressure on Biden’s pick.

I expect there will also be a steady drip feed of complaints about Biden’s personal boundaries issues until he either says “I don’t recall” or gets angry.

There will be a lot of nose holding come November and plenty of entertaining telly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:09 pm 

The idea Pence will have credibility with people is worrying, an ant could trip over a bar that low

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:09 pm 

Mr Mike wrote:
Bowens wrote:
Just a tad.

Is wearing a MAGA hat a bad thing?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:18 pm 

piquant wrote:
The idea Pence will have credibility with people is worrying, an ant could trip over a bar that low

I think it's important to get a handle on the mindset of the American voter.

We can see how far Donald Trump is out of his depth, but they can't see it. This should be an open goal, but there is a strong likelihood that the electorate will choose Trump again, because... Chyna, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:26 pm 

Mr Mike wrote:
I suspect that the current crisis will also increase scrutiny about who Biden picks as his running mate. Many anxious voters weighing up the limitations of Trump and a 2020 Biden, who is starting to look, sound and feel more like Leslie Nielsen as the process progresses, will want some bench strength. Pence will have some credibility having been through the process and that will put additional pressure on Biden’s pick.

I expect there will also be a steady drip feed of complaints about Biden’s personal boundaries issues until he either says “I don’t recall” or gets angry.

There will be a lot of nose holding come November and plenty of entertaining telly.

National Lampoons "The President" staring Leslie Nielsen Ronald Tramp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:34 pm 

piquant wrote:
I remember a world where I confidently scoffed at the prospect of Donald Trump winning the nomination, and that was for an Emmy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 2557, 2558, 2559, 2560, 2561, 2562, 2563 ... 2689  Next