Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109812 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 2700, 2701, 2702, 2703, 2704, 2705, 2706 ... 2746  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3062
BokJock wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
6.Jones wrote:
For people who think Bernie's a socialist, here's America's historical highest tax brackets:

https://www.ctj.org/pdf/regcg.pdf


Bernie clearly isn't a socialist. He operates towards Democratic socialist which despite the name isn't actual socialism.


Like most of North Western Europe

Do they also have a wealth tax?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:30 am
Posts: 4692
Fangle wrote:
BokJock wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
6.Jones wrote:
For people who think Bernie's a socialist, here's America's historical highest tax brackets:

https://www.ctj.org/pdf/regcg.pdf


Bernie clearly isn't a socialist. He operates towards Democratic socialist which despite the name isn't actual socialism.


Like most of North Western Europe

Do they also have a wealth tax?


Some do


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11147
Fangle wrote:
BokJock wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
6.Jones wrote:
For people who think Bernie's a socialist, here's America's historical highest tax brackets:

https://www.ctj.org/pdf/regcg.pdf


Bernie clearly isn't a socialist. He operates towards Democratic socialist which despite the name isn't actual socialism.


Like most of North Western Europe

Do they also have a wealth tax?



Interesting enough, Macron took the bold and unpopular step to remove the Wealth Tax in France, and analysis of the impact of that decision for France as a whole has shown that it was negative. It didn't bring any visible benefit to the economy while costing a lot to the French budget.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17320
Location: balbriggan
TheFrog wrote:
Fangle wrote:
BokJock wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
6.Jones wrote:
For people who think Bernie's a socialist, here's America's historical highest tax brackets:

https://www.ctj.org/pdf/regcg.pdf


Bernie clearly isn't a socialist. He operates towards Democratic socialist which despite the name isn't actual socialism.


Like most of North Western Europe

Do they also have a wealth tax?



Interesting enough, Macron took the bold and unpopular step to remove the Wealth Tax in France, and analysis of the impact of that decision for France as a whole has shown that it was negative. It didn't bring any visible benefit to the economy while costing a lot to the French budget.

predicted by most serious analyst if I recall.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11147
Laurent wrote:
TheFrog wrote:
Fangle wrote:
BokJock wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

Bernie clearly isn't a socialist. He operates towards Democratic socialist which despite the name isn't actual socialism.


Like most of North Western Europe

Do they also have a wealth tax?



Interesting enough, Macron took the bold and unpopular step to remove the Wealth Tax in France, and analysis of the impact of that decision for France as a whole has shown that it was negative. It didn't bring any visible benefit to the economy while costing a lot to the French budget.

predicted by most serious analyst if I recall.


I have this for you, Laurent. Interesting read.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/25/world/europe/macron-france-pensions.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 9:32 pm
Posts: 3725
Location: look behind you
Article about trump's former physician.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/24/us/p ... texas.html

Interesting snippet
Quote:
During his infamous news conference, Mr. Jackson said his goal was to help Mr. Trump lose 10 to 15 pounds and that he planned to bring an exercise bike or elliptical machine into the White House residence.

Mr. Jackson said those plans never came to pass. (Mr. Trump had gained four pounds by his following physical.) “The exercise stuff never took off as much as I wanted it to,” he said. “But we were working on his diet. We were making the ice cream less accessible, we were putting cauliflower into the mashed potatoes.”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25691
tiddle wrote:
Article about trump's former physician.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/24/us/p ... texas.html

Interesting snippet
Quote:
During his infamous news conference, Mr. Jackson said his goal was to help Mr. Trump lose 10 to 15 pounds and that he planned to bring an exercise bike or elliptical machine into the White House residence.

Mr. Jackson said those plans never came to pass. (Mr. Trump had gained four pounds by his following physical.) “The exercise stuff never took off as much as I wanted it to,” he said. “But we were working on his diet. We were making the ice cream less accessible, we were putting cauliflower into the mashed potatoes.”

Must be a slow news day for this to rise to the top :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:25 pm
Posts: 586
tiddle wrote:
Article about trump's former physician.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/24/us/p ... texas.html

Interesting snippet
Quote:
During his infamous news conference, Mr. Jackson said his goal was to help Mr. Trump lose 10 to 15 pounds and that he planned to bring an exercise bike or elliptical machine into the White House residence.

Mr. Jackson said those plans never came to pass. (Mr. Trump had gained four pounds by his following physical.) “The exercise stuff never took off as much as I wanted it to,” he said. “But we were working on his diet. We were making the ice cream less accessible, we were putting cauliflower into the mashed potatoes.”


If they can sneak stuff into Trump's dinner there's a thousand other substances I'd add before cauliflower.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6775
Location: emmerdale
TheFrog wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
6.Jones wrote:
For people who think Bernie's a socialist, here's America's historical highest tax brackets:

https://www.ctj.org/pdf/regcg.pdf


Bernie clearly isn't a socialist. He operates towards Democratic socialist which despite the name isn't actual socialism.



I pay more taxes here in the USA than I did in France. Yet:

- No proper social security (pensions, unemployment insurance...)
- No decent public health care coverage
- Shit roads (pot holes everywhere)
- Outdated infrastructure (huge traffic jams)

There is something seriously wrong with public money in the USA me think. I thought France was bad, but here... It is a mystery what my money is used for.

interest..

(and defence)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:59 pm
Posts: 2282
tiddle wrote:
Article about trump's former physician.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/24/us/p ... texas.html

Interesting snippet
Quote:
During his infamous news conference, Mr. Jackson said his goal was to help Mr. Trump lose 10 to 15 pounds and that he planned to bring an exercise bike or elliptical machine into the White House residence.

Mr. Jackson said those plans never came to pass. (Mr. Trump had gained four pounds by his following physical.) “The exercise stuff never took off as much as I wanted it to,” he said. “But we were working on his diet. We were making the ice cream less accessible, we were putting cauliflower into the mashed potatoes.”

That was the medical exam that concluded the Prez was 245lbs.

Image

Carries it well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:35 am
Posts: 6056
Location: England
Considering his alleged diet he's actually in much better shape than I'd have thought. Still a fat mess, but he's not a multi-chinned blob whose limbs are difficult to discern from the rest of him.

Fancy being a grown man and people needing to find inventive ways to sneak you vegetables :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:59 pm
Posts: 2282
sockwithaticket wrote:
Considering his alleged diet he's actually in much better shape than I'd have thought. Still a fat mess, but he's not a multi-chinned blob whose limbs are difficult to discern from the rest of him.

Fancy being a grown man and people needing to find inventive ways to sneak you vegetables :lol:


He's okay for a 75-year-old man. He's just not 110kg.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20137
inactionman wrote:
tiddle wrote:
Article about trump's former physician.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/24/us/p ... texas.html

Interesting snippet
Quote:
During his infamous news conference, Mr. Jackson said his goal was to help Mr. Trump lose 10 to 15 pounds and that he planned to bring an exercise bike or elliptical machine into the White House residence.

Mr. Jackson said those plans never came to pass. (Mr. Trump had gained four pounds by his following physical.) “The exercise stuff never took off as much as I wanted it to,” he said. “But we were working on his diet. We were making the ice cream less accessible, we were putting cauliflower into the mashed potatoes.”


If they can sneak stuff into Trump's dinner there's a thousand other substances I'd add before cauliflower.

:lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5571
Location: A gaf in Bracknell
I wonder if he will survive Coronavirus?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25691
saffer13 wrote:
tiddle wrote:
Article about trump's former physician.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/24/us/p ... texas.html

Interesting snippet
Quote:
During his infamous news conference, Mr. Jackson said his goal was to help Mr. Trump lose 10 to 15 pounds and that he planned to bring an exercise bike or elliptical machine into the White House residence.

Mr. Jackson said those plans never came to pass. (Mr. Trump had gained four pounds by his following physical.) “The exercise stuff never took off as much as I wanted it to,” he said. “But we were working on his diet. We were making the ice cream less accessible, we were putting cauliflower into the mashed potatoes.”

Must be a slow news day for this to rise to the top :lol:

24 hours later and you fellas are still talking about his weight. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 9:32 pm
Posts: 3725
Location: look behind you
Let's talk about his handling of the coronavirus instead?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/26/us/p ... s-cdc.html

Great that the CDC contradicts his original statement and he selects someone who doesn't believe in science to lead the US response to it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25691
tiddle wrote:
Let's talk about his handling of the coronavirus instead?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/26/us/p ... s-cdc.html

Great that the CDC contradicts his original statement and he selects someone who doesn't believe in science to lead the US response to it.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't :nod:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20094
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble
saffer13 wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
tiddle wrote:
Article about trump's former physician.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/24/us/p ... texas.html

Interesting snippet
Quote:
During his infamous news conference, Mr. Jackson said his goal was to help Mr. Trump lose 10 to 15 pounds and that he planned to bring an exercise bike or elliptical machine into the White House residence.

Mr. Jackson said those plans never came to pass. (Mr. Trump had gained four pounds by his following physical.) “The exercise stuff never took off as much as I wanted it to,” he said. “But we were working on his diet. We were making the ice cream less accessible, we were putting cauliflower into the mashed potatoes.”

Must be a slow news day for this to rise to the top :lol:

24 hours later and you fellas are still talking about his weight. :lol:


Healthiest, most fit and buff president ever. FACT. :nod:

Also the tallest. He'd show us the medical report, but it's being held up by an audit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:59 pm
Posts: 2282
saffer13 wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
tiddle wrote:
Article about trump's former physician.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/24/us/p ... texas.html

Interesting snippet
Quote:
During his infamous news conference, Mr. Jackson said his goal was to help Mr. Trump lose 10 to 15 pounds and that he planned to bring an exercise bike or elliptical machine into the White House residence.

Mr. Jackson said those plans never came to pass. (Mr. Trump had gained four pounds by his following physical.) “The exercise stuff never took off as much as I wanted it to,” he said. “But we were working on his diet. We were making the ice cream less accessible, we were putting cauliflower into the mashed potatoes.”

Must be a slow news day for this to rise to the top :lol:

24 hours later and you fellas are still talking about his weight. :lol:

There's a lot to talk about.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32367
Location: in transit
saffer13 wrote:
tiddle wrote:
Let's talk about his handling of the coronavirus instead?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/26/us/p ... s-cdc.html

Great that the CDC contradicts his original statement and he selects someone who doesn't believe in science to lead the US response to it.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't :nod:


WUT


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20094
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble
6.Jones wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
tiddle wrote:
Article about trump's former physician.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/24/us/p ... texas.html

Interesting snippet
Quote:
During his infamous news conference, Mr. Jackson said his goal was to help Mr. Trump lose 10 to 15 pounds and that he planned to bring an exercise bike or elliptical machine into the White House residence.

Mr. Jackson said those plans never came to pass. (Mr. Trump had gained four pounds by his following physical.) “The exercise stuff never took off as much as I wanted it to,” he said. “But we were working on his diet. We were making the ice cream less accessible, we were putting cauliflower into the mashed potatoes.”

Must be a slow news day for this to rise to the top :lol:

24 hours later and you fellas are still talking about his weight. :lol:

There's a lot to talk about.


:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 40080
tiddle wrote:
Let's talk about his handling of the coronavirus instead?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/26/us/p ... s-cdc.html

Great that the CDC contradicts his original statement and he selects someone who doesn't believe in science to lead the US response to it.


The highlight in that article has to be this

Quote:
The president, who is a well-known germophobe, urged Americans to be vigilant about covering their coughs and washing their hands, and he told the story of a man who recently came up to him and hugged him.

“I said, ‘Are you well?’ He says, ‘No,’” Mr. Trump said. “He said, ‘I have the worst fever, and the worst flu.’ He’s hugging and kissing me. I said, ‘Excuse me,’ I went and started washing my hands.”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:25 pm
Posts: 586
Kiwias wrote:
tiddle wrote:
Let's talk about his handling of the coronavirus instead?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/26/us/p ... s-cdc.html

Great that the CDC contradicts his original statement and he selects someone who doesn't believe in science to lead the US response to it.


The highlight in that article has to be this

Quote:
The president, who is a well-known germophobe, urged Americans to be vigilant about covering their coughs and washing their hands, and he told the story of a man who recently came up to him and hugged him.

“I said, ‘Are you well?’ He says, ‘No,’” Mr. Trump said. “He said, ‘I have the worst fever, and the worst flu.’ He’s hugging and kissing me. I said, ‘Excuse me,’ I went and started washing my hands.”


I'm hoping some highly contagious democrats are reading that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:17 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16536
guy smiley wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
tiddle wrote:
Let's talk about his handling of the coronavirus instead?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/26/us/p ... s-cdc.html

Great that the CDC contradicts his original statement and he selects someone who doesn't believe in science to lead the US response to it.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't :nod:


WUT

As a fundamentalist Christian, perhaps Saffer believes that COVID-19 is a punishment sent by God to be served to the wicked? in which case Pence is the perfect instrument.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5571
Location: A gaf in Bracknell
saffer13 wrote:
tiddle wrote:
Let's talk about his handling of the coronavirus instead?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/26/us/p ... s-cdc.html

Great that the CDC contradicts his original statement and he selects someone who doesn't believe in science to lead the US response to it.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't :nod:

Out of curiosity, who would damn you if you chose someone who believes in science to run a response to a potential pandemic?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4335
houtkabouter wrote:
I wonder if he will survive Coronavirus?


Caronavirus.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1232652371832004608


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:50 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16536
4071 wrote:
houtkabouter wrote:
I wonder if he will survive Coronavirus?


Caronavirus.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1232652371832004608

https://www.theage.com.au/world/north-america/trump-faces-a-chernobyl-moment-after-slashing-pandemic-defences-20200227-p5451l.html?fbclid=IwAR0BJ8rtONzaOC7Bsy30gFPCG1xQmFVkPwsWYhf43xOKDMrR1PnmjC7ZeIU

Quote:
Undaunted, the Trump camp is putting out the message through talk radio and on the Hill that virus chatter is scaremongering by political opponents. On Tuesday the head of US homeland security, Chad Wolf, told a stunned Senate committee that the death rate of COVID-19 is akin to normal winter flu.

Actually the average flu death rate is around 0.1 per cent. Tracking data from China shows a 4.0 per cent mortality rate in Wuhan, 2.8 per cent in Hubei province, and 0.8 per cent in other regions, but rising. The ratio rockets for the late-middle aged and elderly.

Furthermore, only a small fraction of people contract flu each year because the rest are vaccinated or have acquired immunity from past flu infections. There will be no COVID-19 vaccine for months. Nobody has immunity.

The Trump administration is taking an insane political gamble by pitting itself against the CDC and against the US fraternity of virologists. It will lose this bet. I also suspect the new coronavirus will expose deep failings within the US healthcare and insurance system.

Many poor Americans without coverage or Medicaid will try to tough it out at home rather than risk ruinous medical costs. Illegal immigrants will avoid the health surveillance system for fear of being deported. The disease will spread in these distressed pockets before sweeping the leafy suburbs.

The only way to slow the internal contagion is to offer free testing and care, as Singapore is doing in what has become the world's gold standard regime for this crisis.

If the CDC is right and a US epidemic is on its way, the unfolding drama and shocking death rate will work to the advantage of Sanders in the Democratic primaries. It will shatter Republican claims to competence and could conceivably propel the firebrand into the White House with a majority in both houses of Congress. Just wait until the global macro funds sink their teeth into that prospect.

What are the Dow index and the S&P 500 worth in a global economy facing - potentially - the worst "sudden stop" since August 1914, and a new America led by a president Sanders with a mandate for socialist upheaval? Let's be generous and say about half of current levels.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:25 pm
Posts: 586
Rinkals wrote:
4071 wrote:
houtkabouter wrote:
I wonder if he will survive Coronavirus?


Caronavirus.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1232652371832004608

https://www.theage.com.au/world/north-america/trump-faces-a-chernobyl-moment-after-slashing-pandemic-defences-20200227-p5451l.html?fbclid=IwAR0BJ8rtONzaOC7Bsy30gFPCG1xQmFVkPwsWYhf43xOKDMrR1PnmjC7ZeIU

Quote:
Undaunted, the Trump camp is putting out the message through talk radio and on the Hill that virus chatter is scaremongering by political opponents. On Tuesday the head of US homeland security, Chad Wolf, told a stunned Senate committee that the death rate of COVID-19 is akin to normal winter flu.

Actually the average flu death rate is around 0.1 per cent. Tracking data from China shows a 4.0 per cent mortality rate in Wuhan, 2.8 per cent in Hubei province, and 0.8 per cent in other regions, but rising. The ratio rockets for the late-middle aged and elderly.

Furthermore, only a small fraction of people contract flu each year because the rest are vaccinated or have acquired immunity from past flu infections. There will be no COVID-19 vaccine for months. Nobody has immunity.

The Trump administration is taking an insane political gamble by pitting itself against the CDC and against the US fraternity of virologists. It will lose this bet. I also suspect the new coronavirus will expose deep failings within the US healthcare and insurance system.

Many poor Americans without coverage or Medicaid will try to tough it out at home rather than risk ruinous medical costs. Illegal immigrants will avoid the health surveillance system for fear of being deported. The disease will spread in these distressed pockets before sweeping the leafy suburbs.

The only way to slow the internal contagion is to offer free testing and care, as Singapore is doing in what has become the world's gold standard regime for this crisis.

If the CDC is right and a US epidemic is on its way, the unfolding drama and shocking death rate will work to the advantage of Sanders in the Democratic primaries. It will shatter Republican claims to competence and could conceivably propel the firebrand into the White House with a majority in both houses of Congress. Just wait until the global macro funds sink their teeth into that prospect.

What are the Dow index and the S&P 500 worth in a global economy facing - potentially - the worst "sudden stop" since August 1914, and a new America led by a president Sanders with a mandate for socialist upheaval? Let's be generous and say about half of current levels.


It's a conundrum. Hope the US has an outbreak to show up the Charlatan for what he is, at the cost of misery for thousands in short term, or hope there's no outbreak and the Charlatan can claim victory (although not really a competition) and store up misery for thousands over the longer term.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:47 pm
Posts: 4644
Location: Chukity - puck!!!
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:45 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16536
inactionman wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
4071 wrote:
houtkabouter wrote:
I wonder if he will survive Coronavirus?


Caronavirus.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1232652371832004608

https://www.theage.com.au/world/north-america/trump-faces-a-chernobyl-moment-after-slashing-pandemic-defences-20200227-p5451l.html?fbclid=IwAR0BJ8rtONzaOC7Bsy30gFPCG1xQmFVkPwsWYhf43xOKDMrR1PnmjC7ZeIU

Quote:
Undaunted, the Trump camp is putting out the message through talk radio and on the Hill that virus chatter is scaremongering by political opponents. On Tuesday the head of US homeland security, Chad Wolf, told a stunned Senate committee that the death rate of COVID-19 is akin to normal winter flu.

Actually the average flu death rate is around 0.1 per cent. Tracking data from China shows a 4.0 per cent mortality rate in Wuhan, 2.8 per cent in Hubei province, and 0.8 per cent in other regions, but rising. The ratio rockets for the late-middle aged and elderly.

Furthermore, only a small fraction of people contract flu each year because the rest are vaccinated or have acquired immunity from past flu infections. There will be no COVID-19 vaccine for months. Nobody has immunity.

The Trump administration is taking an insane political gamble by pitting itself against the CDC and against the US fraternity of virologists. It will lose this bet. I also suspect the new coronavirus will expose deep failings within the US healthcare and insurance system.

Many poor Americans without coverage or Medicaid will try to tough it out at home rather than risk ruinous medical costs. Illegal immigrants will avoid the health surveillance system for fear of being deported. The disease will spread in these distressed pockets before sweeping the leafy suburbs.

The only way to slow the internal contagion is to offer free testing and care, as Singapore is doing in what has become the world's gold standard regime for this crisis.

If the CDC is right and a US epidemic is on its way, the unfolding drama and shocking death rate will work to the advantage of Sanders in the Democratic primaries. It will shatter Republican claims to competence and could conceivably propel the firebrand into the White House with a majority in both houses of Congress. Just wait until the global macro funds sink their teeth into that prospect.

What are the Dow index and the S&P 500 worth in a global economy facing - potentially - the worst "sudden stop" since August 1914, and a new America led by a president Sanders with a mandate for socialist upheaval? Let's be generous and say about half of current levels.


It's a conundrum. Hope the US has an outbreak to show up the Charlatan for what he is, at the cost of misery for thousands in short term, or hope there's no outbreak and the Charlatan can claim victory (although not really a competition) and store up misery for thousands over the longer term.


From the same article I Linked to:
Quote:
The Trump administration has cut funding for the US Centre for Disease Control (CDC) by 9 per cent. This month he proposed slashing it a further 16 per cent. The worst hit area has been pandemic preparation. The CDC's global health security initiative has been chopped by 80 per cent.

Trump got rid of the US Complex Crises Fund. He shut down the pandemic and global health machinery at the White House. He tried to cut the budget of the National Institutes of Health - the world's finest concentration of science - by 20 per cent in 2018, and by 27 per cent in 2019. Congress stopped the worst but damage has been done. It has been a primitive war on science. Trump's cuts have nothing to do with fiscal austerity. They happened just as he was pushing through tax cuts and driving the US cyclically adjusted budget deficit to 6.3 per cent of GDP (IMF data), spraying money with Peronist abandon. The White House did announce a $US2.5 billion ($3.7 billion) Coronavirus emergency fund this week to be used on vaccines, treatment and protective equipment. But the science cuts were ideological.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:47 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16536
Quote:
Don't be fooled by the seemingly low numbers of infections in the US (60 at time of publication): by Wednesday the country had tested only 426 people. Only three of the 100 public health labs even have working test kits. One reason why South Korea appears to have so many cases is because it has carried out 44,981 tests. "They are looking, so they are finding," says Professor Caitlin Rivers from Johns Hopkins University.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 9:32 pm
Posts: 3725
Location: look behind you
Rinkals wrote:
Quote:
Don't be fooled by the seemingly low numbers of infections in the US (60 at time of publication): by Wednesday the country had tested only 426 people. Only three of the 100 public health labs even have working test kits. One reason why South Korea appears to have so many cases is because it has carried out 44,981 tests. "They are looking, so they are finding," says Professor Caitlin Rivers from Johns Hopkins University.


This is where the shitty, expensive healthcare system comes into play. No one is going to go to the doctor to get checked or for minor symptoms. Also they won't self quarantine because who can take the time off?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:05 pm
Posts: 12030
houtkabouter wrote:
I wonder if he will survive Coronavirus?

Of course, Trump has the bestest immune system


Last edited by Rugby2023 on Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:05 pm
Posts: 12030
inactionman wrote:
It's a conundrum. Hope the US has an outbreak to show up the Charlatan for what he is, at the cost of misery for thousands in short term, or hope there's no outbreak and the Charlatan can claim victory (although not really a competition) and store up misery for thousands over the longer term.

This way of thinking is not healthy. It's akin to Remainers hoping the UK economy would fail so we'd stay in the EU. Be better (or "Be Best" as Melania would say :) ).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:25 pm
Posts: 586
Rugby2023 wrote:
inactionman wrote:
It's a conundrum. Hope the US has an outbreak to show up the Charlatan for what he is, at the cost of misery for thousands in short term, or hope there's no outbreak and the Charlatan can claim victory (although not really a competition) and store up misery for thousands over the longer term.

This way of thinking is not healthy. It's akin to Remainers hoping the UK economy would fail so we'd stay in the EU. Be better (or "Be Best" as Melania would say :) ).


It's not really the same, as (firstly) Brexit is a difference of opinion where as Trump's inaction really is dangerous and (secondly) pointing out that whilst Trump might get away with it this time, his disdain for any evidence upon which to base policy is going to hurt a lot of people in the long run. Both are poor outcomes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5571
Location: A gaf in Bracknell
It’s going to be incredibly difficult for him to bumble his way through this one. His actions have directly impacted the US’ potential to respond. It’s taken a while but if this goes the way it looks like going his about to be found out by his own hack and slash of Obama’s legacy department.

China also chose to pretend this virus didn’t exist. It turns out that didn’t work too well for them.


Last edited by houtkabouter on Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9566
Location: Texas
houtkabouter wrote:
Cuba also chose to pretend this virus didn’t exist. It turns out that didn’t work too well for them.
Illustrates the very clear dangers of socialism.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8417
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9566
Location: Texas
Given the damage my 401K and stock plan has taken over the last few days, I think it is time we talk about Trump’s fitness for office.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8417
Mr Mike wrote:
Given the damage my 401K and stock plan has taken over the last few days, I think it is time we talk about Trump’s fitness for office.

Wut??? only now???????


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109812 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 2700, 2701, 2702, 2703, 2704, 2705, 2706 ... 2746  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: A5D5E5, backrow, bimboman, Bokkom, camroc1, Chilli, crash 669, dargotronV.1, DeDoc, earl the beaver, Evil_G, fatheralice, Floppykid, Frodder, Google Adsense [Bot], happyhooker, Hawaiian_shirts_rule, koroke hangareka, Leffe, Lenny, lorcanoworms, message #2527204, New guy, normilet, Oxbow, Raggs, rett, Rinkals, RodneyRegis, SaintK, Sensible Stephen, The Sun God, toweliechaos, VBall, Wilson's Toffee, ZappaMan and 81 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group