POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

All things Rugby
Fat Old Git

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Fat Old Git »

Even if everything claimed about Biden is true, I can't see how that would make him worse than Trump. Almost every perceived weakness is something that Trump has shown in greater abundance.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

It's the "crooked Hilary" cries again. They shout it so much that by election day, Hilary was one who lived a life of corruption instead of Trump.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Was it Biden Trump was calling creepy Jo?
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

Fat Old Git wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:14 am Was it Biden Trump was calling creepy Jo?
I wouldn’t be surprised if Donald “I’d definitely shag my own daughter” Trump accused Biden of being creepy.
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

Trump thinks he won an award that doesn’t exist.

Person woman man camera TV
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Fat Old Git wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:14 am Was it Biden Trump was calling creepy Jo?
Yeah, he'll say it until it sticks.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

CrazyIslander wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:26 am
Yeah, he'll say it until it sticks.
And those that had no problem with "grab them by the pussy", "I don't even ask" and "It's alright ladies it's nothing I haven't seen before", with the last example being said to a bunch of underage girls, will lap it up.

And that's without considering all of the others claims being made about Trumps sexual behavior.
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

Yeah, all those times Trump flew on Epstein’s plane... he definitely didn’t get up to any of that paedo business.

“Not for me, thanks Jeff... I’ll just have a cheeseburger and a copy of the in-flight magazine to colour in, cheers”
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

iarmhiman wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:46 pm Biden will debate and win.

He may though die in the job in which case Harris will take the presidency
The outrage on the right will be something to relish if that comes to pass. A woman president. And a black woman to boot.

The meltdowns will be epic.
robmatic

Post by robmatic »

Mick Mannock wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:23 pm
CrazyIslander wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:20 pm
Mick Mannock wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:15 pm
Short Man Syndrome wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:05 pm
Mick Mannock wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:52 pm Only a couple of weeks for Sniffer Biden to develop Cov19 symptoms, or for his handlers to adopt Salon Nancy's strategy.

Otherwise, he is going to have to debate with guy who can stay awake and will not need a teleprompter.

"Come on maaaan, you know...the thing"
You have to question the intelligence of people who think that Biden is the weaker intellect.
You have to question the intelligence of people who think Biden is cognitively intact.
You reckon he can't remember Person Woman Man Camera TV?
I think he could read those words.

Left to his own devices, he will produce a bizarre concoction of word salad and neologisms.
Have you actually listened to Trump speak recently? I don't know if it's the Adderall or the strokes but the man's brain is mush.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

obelixtim wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:06 am
iarmhiman wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:46 pm Biden will debate and win.

He may though die in the job in which case Harris will take the presidency
The outrage on the right will be something to relish if that comes to pass. A woman president. And a black woman to boot.

The meltdowns will be epic.
I think we will definitely be in for some fun times with a president whose ethnicity and gender are their most important characteristics.
Santa

Post by Santa »

It's just one of those situations where 0.000023% of the population being killed = epidemic while 7% violent = peaceful.
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

It will certainly make a nice change from corruption, deceit and racism being the most important ones
robmatic

Post by robmatic »

Santa wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:50 am It's just one of those situations where 0.000023% of the population being killed = epidemic while 7% violent = peaceful.
I presume that sounded cleverer in your head.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Someone needs access to both a dictionary and a calculator.
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

robmatic wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:39 am
Short Man Syndrome wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:05 pm

You have to question the intelligence of people who think that Biden is the weaker intellect.
You have to question the intelligence of people who think Biden is cognitively intact.

Left to his own devices, he will produce a bizarre concoction of word salad and neologisms.
Have you actually listened to Trump speak recently? I don't know if it's the Adderall or the strokes but the man's brain is mush.
Have some respect! You are talking about a recipient of the prestigious Bay of Pigs award.
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

A bit of an aside, but not really worth a separate thread and seems to sit here reasonably well:

Under what basis can Trump insist that tiktok close its US operations if not bought out by US controlling organisations? I'm not asking that in the sense of slightly offended, how-dare-he, but more around the legal basis that exists to do this. Does this not also provide some fuel for other countries to look to apply some measure of control to google, facebook et al, who are at least equally as culpable in terms of grabbing data about people's behaviour and internet usage patterns? I appreciate there's generally a government intelligence angle to tiktok that's perhaps absent from facebook and the like (facebook is simply trying to earn oodles of cash forcing targeted ads in your face) but the principles are similar.

I'm aware that China has banned google, and we're all aware of the furore around Huawei providing elements of physical internet infrastructure, but would have assumed the US would have rather different private enterprise rules compared to China for companies that people are free to use or not use.

Perhaps worth making clear that I view the US as hypocritical in most things of this nature - how apple hasn't been done for abusing a monopoly is beyond me, and the fact that the US courts pretty much always sided with apple in any patent/IP dispute against Sony, Samsung etc. amost regardless of the nature of the case or of any precedent in other international courts - so I'm interested in how others view this: a sensible act in the national security interest or protectionist US over-reach.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Apple claiming rounded corners was a classic.
piquant

Post by piquant »

BokJock wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:36 am
robmatic wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:39 am

Have some respect! You are talking about a recipient of the prestigious Bay of Pigs award.

You know Trump is on it mentally when he talks about how hard it is to have an earned an award that doesn't exist, reality not even a blip on his radar with that comment
piquant

Post by piquant »

inactionman wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:39 am A bit of an aside, but not really worth a separate thread and seems to sit here reasonably well:

Under what basis can Trump insist that tiktok close its US operations if not bought out by US controlling organisations? I'm not asking that in the sense of slightly offended, how-dare-he, but more around the legal basis that exists to do this. Does this not also provide some fuel for other countries to look to apply some measure of control to google, facebook et al, who are at least equally as culpable in terms of grabbing data about people's behaviour and internet usage patterns? I appreciate there's generally a government intelligence angle to tiktok that's perhaps absent from facebook and the like (facebook is simply trying to earn oodles of cash forcing targeted ads in your face) but the principles are similar.

I'm aware that China has banned google, and we're all aware of the furore around Huawei providing elements of physical internet infrastructure, but would have assumed the US would have rather different private enterprise rules compared to China for companies that people are free to use or not use.

Perhaps worth making clear that I view the US as hypocritical in most things of this nature - how apple hasn't been done for abusing a monopoly is beyond me, and the fact that the US courts pretty much always sided with apple in any patent/IP dispute against Sony, Samsung etc. amost regardless of the nature of the case or of any precedent in other international courts - so I'm interested in how others view this: a sensible act in the national security interest or protectionist US over-reach.
Trump might choose to close Tikitok operations in the US if they haven't sold US operations to a US company, but the closure would stem from his authority as president and not because a particular sale did or didn't happen. And yes there could be significant concerns about other countries taking comparable actions. If you think that means the US President has too much authority join the club.

I would say if you think the US courts are bad in protecting ownership in favour of US companies they're not even close to the level of bias we'd see in China.
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

I wasn't intending to set China as the benchmark - the US action is perhaps more pertinent to EU countries who have already expressed significant concerns over US tech companies and their use of personal data, and I'm sure the actions of the US in enforcing sale or closure of companies they don't like the look of for whatever reason is being noted in Bruseels and elsewhere. Of course, this doesn't make action (either ability or desire to act) any more likely. The Chinese already operate a closed market so there's little direct comparison in any case - any foreign company wishing to operate in China (by this I mean more than just importing and selling into China) must work as part of a joint venture with at least parity China control. Jaguar Land Rover got burned by this with a blatant copy of the Evoque appearing on the Chinese market after entering into a JV as Chery Jaguar Land Rover.

In the case of tiktok, the sale is required to continue operations as it won't be owned or (to the same extent) controlled by persons/companies in China. Trump is not directly enforcing a sale, but saying they can't trade as-is is doing essentially the same thing.

I've no idea how such a similar action would be applied in the UK, just by way of comparison - it's one thing to exclude an organisation from public procurement as discussed for Huawei (companies are excluded for all sorts of reasons from such processes, including lack of transparency), another entirely to shut their activities down completely.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Fat Old Git wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:32 am Someone needs access to both a dictionary and a calculator.
Access to 1 litre of OP vodka and a stout rope
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Mick Mannock wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:52 pm Only a couple of weeks for Sniffer Biden to develop Cov19 symptoms, or for his handlers to adopt Salon Nancy's strategy.

Otherwise, he is going to have to debate with guy who can stay awake and will not need a teleprompter.

In truth, given the limited amount of vocabulary that Trump uses in his speeches, it would be seriously worrying that he needed a teleprompter to remember them....
Santa

Post by Santa »

TheFrog wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:14 pm

In truth, given the limited amount of vocabulary that Trump uses in his speeches, it would be seriously worrying that he needed a teleprompter to remember them....
The Frog you seem a sensible chap. What's your view on the fact the 20-30 phones used by the Mueller Team were wiped of data before the DOJ IG could review them?
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

Someone seems to have found the new “emails”
Santa

Post by Santa »

https://thehill.com/policy/internationa ... -to-combat

Country not engaging in genocide.
The United Nations human rights chief called on Monday for “urgent and profound action to combat systemic racism” in the U.S. during her opening speech for the Human Rights Council in Geneva.

Bachelet said officials would address a resolution passed in June funding a report on systemic racism and discrimination against Black people later in the session.
Country engaging in genocide.
“My Office continues to engage with the Chinese Government on the situation in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region and the impact on human rights of its policies,” she said, according to Reuters.
What's the bet that if Trump gets in the US will exit the UN. :thumbup:
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

fonzeee wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:57 am Some very good posts FR :thumbup:

Only thing I'm not so sure I agree with, is that we'll not just go back to looking the other way on China. The wound from covid is still very fresh so a more hostile stance towards China *seems* possible at the moment, but I think the powers that be will very much want to keep China in the fold in the long run, and efforts will be made to ensure this happens. There's just way too much money there.
They've done this for how many years and look what just happened? Hong Kong was lost. The people back in the 1990s wanted Hong Kong to reform China instead of China reforming Hong Kong, or at least that's how it was sold back then. China has reformed economically but has become even more hardline politically (learning from Gorbachev's mistake I guess). The powers that be very much do care about Hong Kong because that's the nerve center for pan-Asian commerce. Maybe things go on as normal, maybe something like Singapore becomes the new nerve center. Depends on how heavy-handed the mainland Chinese government become. We'll see. I don't expect Xi to change his governing style and foreign policy because Biden is president. Biden becomes president, Huawei is still a thing. Just because we change presidents doesn't mean there's a whole different set of facts on the ground.
Last edited by Flyin Ryan on Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Santa wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:56 pm https://thehill.com/policy/internationa ... -to-combat

The United Nations human rights chief called on Monday for “urgent and profound action to combat systemic racism” in the U.S. during her opening speech for the Human Rights Council in Geneva.

Bachelet said officials would address a resolution passed in June funding a report on systemic racism and discrimination against Black people later in the session.
“My Office continues to engage with the Chinese Government on the situation in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region and the impact on human rights of its policies,” she said, according to Reuters.
UN Human Rights Council is a long-established joke.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Joe Rogan? Will we have another debate hosted by John Stewart too?
piquant

Post by piquant »

inactionman wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:11 pm I wasn't intending to set China as the benchmark - the US action is perhaps more pertinent to EU countries who have already expressed significant concerns over US tech companies and their use of personal data, and I'm sure the actions of the US in enforcing sale or closure of companies they don't like the look of for whatever reason is being noted in Bruseels and elsewhere. Of course, this doesn't make action (either ability or desire to act) any more likely. The Chinese already operate a closed market so there's little direct comparison in any case - any foreign company wishing to operate in China (by this I mean more than just importing and selling into China) must work as part of a joint venture with at least parity China control. Jaguar Land Rover got burned by this with a blatant copy of the Evoque appearing on the Chinese market after entering into a JV as Chery Jaguar Land Rover.

In the case of tiktok, the sale is required to continue operations as it won't be owned or (to the same extent) controlled by persons/companies in China. Trump is not directly enforcing a sale, but saying they can't trade as-is is doing essentially the same thing.

I've no idea how such a similar action would be applied in the UK, just by way of comparison - it's one thing to exclude an organisation from public procurement as discussed for Huawei (companies are excluded for all sorts of reasons from such processes, including lack of transparency), another entirely to shut their activities down completely.
Well the companies can continue to trade, what they cannot do is continue to trade whilst Trump can identify issues around surveillance, espionage, censorship, data mining . Though it's a fair point they might not want to trade without being able to capture a lot of customer data as that's a big part of trying to make a profit. There's also a fair question around why isn't Trump and/or his administration going after the practices they've established as being an issue, the surveillance and whatnot, rather than going after a couple of specific companies for these practices. And yes retaliatory acts would be a concern.

But providing Trump has a national security emergency declared he can attach such executive orders to there's very little to stop him. You'd basically need Congress to limit executive power (and the powers the President is using came out of an attempt to limit executive orders, so you need to be aware trying to limit what he cannot do might only clarify what he can do and you wouldn't like that, basically be wary of unintended consequences) or you'd need congress to vote to override the stated national security emergency - both of those things would need to be able to survive a veto by the executive so that's unlikely, and it's unlikely before a lot of Democrats would share concerns about Chinese technology practices

The sale of business that operates in the US is a possible way out, but you don't just need a sale, you'd need to split off operational practices such that if you had a joint venture nothing would be accessible to the CCP, and that's not straightforward.

It's not easy to know what Trump makes of this or why he's acting in such fashion now, it's possible he's just reacting to all those fake ticket requests for us first Covid is Over rally when he was embarrassed at getting just a couple of thousand attendee's when he was talking up a sellout and excess crowds. So what other service suppliers are supposed to make of it, say those in the EU, is anyone's guess. My guess is we're not looking at a national security emergency being declared around services being sold out of the UK, but then again I wouldn't have supposed the USA would restrict steel sales out of Canada on national security grounds. Gather ye ouija boards while ye may if you want answers
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

Genuinely, what is the point of debating Trump.

You can’t debate someone who sticks his fingers in his ears and yells FAKE every time you confront him with a fact he doesn’t like.

You can’t win
piquant

Post by piquant »

BokJock wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:53 pm Genuinely, what is the point of debating Trump.

You can’t debate someone who sticks his fingers in his ears and yells FAKE every time you confront him with a fact he doesn’t like.

You can’t win
He hasn't yelled that about the taped conversations with Bob Woodward. Instead he's going for the angle it's a 'political hit job', I don't know if he's stipulated whether it's a hit job by himself on himself, but for now he's not claiming he's fake and/or he's never met himself.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Good analysis of why Trump's attacks may not be hitting Biden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5RvEGb4U3Q
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

BokJock wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:53 pm Genuinely, what is the point of debating Trump.

You can’t win
Yes, Biden could use that excuse. Pretty much what Salon Nancy suggested

Or, he could take note of Starmer today. That would also work
DOB

Post by DOB »

Santa wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:10 pm Good analysis of why Trump's attacks may not be hitting Biden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5RvEGb4U3Q
Without watching, does it say "because he's lying"?
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... biden-and/
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... iden-and-/
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... ng-police/
puku

Post by puku »

BokJock wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:29 pm Someone seems to have found the new “emails”
:lol: :lol: :lol:
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Santa wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:20 pm
TheFrog wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:14 pm

The Frog you seem a sensible chap. What's your view on the fact the 20-30 phones used by the Mueller Team were wiped of data before the DOJ IG could review them?
Obviously a concern and potentially a serious breach of law. I am sure the prosecutors will not miss an opportunity to ensure they get due retribution for this.

The law has to the same for everybody.

Just as there was no reason for Trump to pardon Stone who also was found guilty of witness tampering and lying to Congress. His conviction stands but the man who promised to drain the swamp shows at least the double standards he accuses his opposition to apply to their own camp.

Lots of hypocrisy on both sides sadly.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:22 pm
Santa wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:56 pm https://thehill.com/policy/internationa ... -to-combat

UN Human Rights Council is a long-established joke.
Makes me think about the famous Chruchill quote on democracy
democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time
I guess same applies with all things UN. Is it better to have a forum where all countries exchange and where matters are brought up to the light even if often they are not addressed or resolved, or should we return to the dark ages of unilateralism ?
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

To come back to the Russia probe into Trump, indon't understand why there so much concern in the Reoublican camp. If Trump were clean, there would not be anything to worry about. A political hit job? May be, but carried out under the Trump administration, so the leverage to influence prosecutors was largely out of Democrats hands.

The concern could be around false proofs fabrication, but as far as I understand, nothing major came out of the investigation and we could move on.

All these reactions, and lying during the course of the inquiry only made things look worse for Trump.

This is the main weakness for this man, he is actually quite sensitive and will react emotionally when poked. Dangerous when you are the Commander in Chief.