Chat Forum
It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 3:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 2738, 2739, 2740, 2741, 2742, 2743, 2744 ... 2812  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:18 pm 

piquant wrote:
The idea Pence will have credibility with people is worrying, an ant could trip over a bar that low

I think it's important to get a handle on the mindset of the American voter.

We can see how far Donald Trump is out of his depth, but they can't see it. This should be an open goal, but there is a strong likelihood that the electorate will choose Trump again, because... Chyna, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:26 pm 

Mr Mike wrote:
I suspect that the current crisis will also increase scrutiny about who Biden picks as his running mate. Many anxious voters weighing up the limitations of Trump and a 2020 Biden, who is starting to look, sound and feel more like Leslie Nielsen as the process progresses, will want some bench strength. Pence will have some credibility having been through the process and that will put additional pressure on Biden’s pick.

I expect there will also be a steady drip feed of complaints about Biden’s personal boundaries issues until he either says “I don’t recall” or gets angry.

There will be a lot of nose holding come November and plenty of entertaining telly.

National Lampoons "The President" staring Leslie Nielsen Ronald Tramp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:31 pm 

testing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:34 pm 

piquant wrote:
The idea Pence will have credibility with people is worrying, an ant could trip over a bar that low
I remember a world where I confidently scoffed at the prospect of Donald Trump winning the nomination, and that was for an Emmy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:36 pm 

Mr Mike wrote:
piquant wrote:
I remember a world where I confidently scoffed at the prospect of Donald Trump winning the nomination, and that was for an Emmy.

MAGA hat.

Anything wrong with people who wear them?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:40 pm 

Zico wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
piquant wrote:

MAGA hat.

Anything wrong with people who wear them?

Yes; they're traitors !

They suggest that America isn't Great !!! :x

Try walking around Missouri with a hat that says; "American is a shithole !", & see how long if takes before you end up with your teeth in a bag, or worse.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:41 pm 

Rinkals wrote:
piquant wrote:

We can see how far Donald Trump is out of his depth, but they can't see it. This should be an open goal, but there is a strong likelihood that the electorate will choose Trump again, because... Chyna, I guess.

So... you can see his limitations, but people who actually live there and have to live with his decisions cant.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:55 pm 

xbgo1 wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
piquant wrote:

So... you can see his limitations, but people who actually live there and have to live with his decisions cant.

That's certainly the question that I'm asking, yes.

CAN you see his limitations?

Or do you think he is not out of his depth?

[Edit: I'm assuming that you are American?]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:00 pm 

Rinkals wrote:
xbgo1 wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
piquant wrote:

That's certainly the question that I'm asking, yes.

CAN you see his limitations?

Or do you think he is not out of his depth?

[Edit: I'm assuming that you are American?]

The Shitgibbon is just the product of a system, chock full of deficiencies.

Electoral College, Gerrymandering, Voter exclusion, & most of all; the reduction of the Democratic process into a contest for who can accumulate the most money to brainwash voters.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:13 pm 

Mass graves being used in New York. :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:40 pm 

Mr Mike wrote:
piquant wrote:

I really thought there was no way he could win through as the Republican nominee. I guess there's some morbid fascination in seeing just how low the standard can go, and even if Biden wins the best that can be said if he's not Trump. It doesn't feel like it should be this hard to do much better

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:48 pm 

Also, for any of you out there who captain nuclear ships you should not write letters, it looks terrible. And too history will judge captains of nuclear ships for not taking earlier steps to avoid unnecessary contacts, but history will not judge presidents in the USA for that, that's different

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:58 pm 

piquant wrote:
Also, for any of you out there who captain nuclear ships you should not write letters, it looks terrible. And too history will judge captains of nuclear ships for not taking earlier steps to avoid unnecessary contacts, but history will not judge presidents in the USA for that, that's different

Trump should still take responsibility for his decisions. I hope the Captain recovers from this virus

Quote:
The Washington Post has reported that acting navy secretary Thomas Modly “told one colleague [on] Wednesday, the day before he announced the move: ‘Breaking news: Trump wants him fired’.”

The president said: “I didn’t make the decision.”

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:03 pm 

piquant wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
piquant wrote:

I really thought there was no way he could win through as the Republican nominee. I guess there's some morbid fascination in seeing just how low the standard can go, and even if Biden wins the best that can be said if he's not Trump. It doesn't feel like it should be this hard to do much better
One of the positives, from a constitutional perspective, of the current situation is that people are thinking more about the scope of Article 2 powers and There is more of a deliberate effort to reassert some of the balance that has moved since Teddy Roosevelt’s expansion. AG Barr is an enthusiastic proponent of an expansive Executive and, up until now, there has been a passive acceptance of Executive power creep. Suddenly it doesn’t look as palatable to lots of people and there is more of an appetite to move back to a more restrained Presidency (For example revisiting the Authorization for Use of Military Force).

Stephen Graubard’s book “The Presidents” is an easy background read on that issue and expansion of the office.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:08 pm 

piquant wrote:

Pence will have credibility because he is seen standing there looking serious and he is not Donald Trump. the bar is that low and it's the American public who have set it so low. I've always smiled when they claim their leader who is unelected by anyone else is the leader of the free world. After Trump i'll just laugh.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:13 pm 

Mr Mike wrote:
piquant wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
piquant wrote:

One of the positives, from a constitutional perspective, of the current situation is that people are thinking more about the scope of Article 2 powers and There is more of a deliberate effort to reassert some of the balance that has moved since Teddy Roosevelt’s expansion. AG Barr is an enthusiastic proponent of an expansive Executive and, up until now, there has been a passive acceptance of Executive power creep. Suddenly it doesn’t look as palatable to lots of people and there is more of an appetite to move back to a more restrained Presidency (For example revisiting the Authorization for Use of Military Force).

Stephen Graubard’s book “The Presidents” is an easy background read on that issue and expansion of the office.

It's not even just the president, it's governors, it's sheriffs, it's.... Somehow in supposedly wanting to move away from a feudal system they've still recreated the role of king over and over throughout their society

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:20 pm 

piquant wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
piquant wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
piquant wrote:

It's not even just the president, it's governors, it's sheriffs, it's.... Somehow in supposedly wanting to move away from a feudal system they've still recreated the role of king over and over throughout their society

Few people realize that the Dukes Of Hazzard was actually a documentary.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:25 pm 

fishfoodie wrote:
the reduction of the Democratic process into a contest for who can accumulate the most money to brainwash voters.

Michael Bloomberg. That is all.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:31 pm 

shereblue wrote:
Bowens wrote:
DOB wrote:
Bowens wrote:
I mean, fonz said he voted for Hillary so calling him a MAGA is pretty hysterical. There was an article in the Washington Post yesterday by Josh Rogin (definitely not a Trump supporter) talking about how the reaction to China’s handling of the crisis crosses party lines more than maybe any other issue in America. There have been polls in Canada with similar results, the majority of Canadians want the Chinese government to take responsibility for the spread of covid. Not everything is about Trump.

Quote:
Two thirds of Canadians (66%) believe the Government of the People’s Republic of China should take responsibility for its role in the COVID-19 outbreak. This includes majorities of Canadians who voted for the Conservatives (76%), the Liberals (66%) and the New Democrats (61%) in the 2019 federal election.

Quote:
The bipartisan consensus on China doesn’t stop there. Ninety percent of Republicans said the Chinese government is responsible for the spread of the virus, compared to 67 percent of Democrats.

My guess would be that there are similar numbers in places like the UK and Australia. When the Chinese government lied to the world about the severity of the virus, probably concealed 10s of thousands of deaths and then said the US military caused it, you’re going to get an extremely negative reaction.

Well you just said it right there. More than 2/3 of democrats do say that the government of China needs to take responsibility for the spread of Covid-19. And they do.

The problem is with Trump trying to act like the whole thing is their fault, like he had no chance to address it. The guy is, more than any president in history, so quick to claim credit for anything going right (“the stock market’s going up folks, you’re welcome I’m doing a trenmenjus stupenjus job”) and deflect blame onto others when anything goes wrong (“Obama didn’t make a vaccine for Coronavirus”) and the whole China thing is just another part of that. When the first positives for Covid showed up in America, literally the only thing he did was another travel ban.

The point is, it’s no use blaming China now; there’ll be plenty of time for that after the disease is stabilized around the world. Covid is in America right now, and has to be addressed. But nothing he’s done about it has given the impression of someone who’s in charge, or competent, or capable of making the decisions to take charge.

Close to 80% of Americans want China held responsible and over 70% want US companies to pull back from the country. Compared to about half (maybe less) who even disapprove of Trump’s handling of the virus. We will see investigations into both but it’s clear what the majority see as the more pressing concern, by a wide margin. I hate to tell you but you are going to hear a lot more about China given Biden’s record there. Bernie was actually pretty tough on them (no to PNTR, called them authoritarian and Xi a dictator, said he would protect Taiwan). With Biden, Trump is going to bring it up daily. You have his history on trade, the whole Hunter deal, the recent comments downplaying their threat. When you have almost unheard of numbers like 70-80% of Americans in agreement on something, it’s guaranteed he will go back to it again and again and it will probably be effective.

Blaming the other. History shows it really does work. For a while.

Americans need an enemy to unite them, it's not like they have much of a shared heritage.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:57 am 

Sonny Blount wrote:
fishfoodie wrote:
the reduction of the Democratic process into a contest for who can accumulate the most money to brainwash voters.

The exception that proves the rule

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:22 am 

Rinkals wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
Bowens wrote:
I mean, fonz said he voted for Hillary so calling him a MAGA is pretty hysterical.
Just a tad.

Fonz said that Trump had his uses a few pages ago.

I asked what uses he could possibly have but have received no reply.

It may be that he missed my post, but I seriously cannot think of any valid reason for Trump's incumbency that would be beneficial to anyone other than Trump, his family and his income bracket.

I look forward to being proved wrong.

Sorry Rinkals, I did see your post but figured my responses to Sen and Zico answered your question well enough.

Clearly we see things differently but you seem like a real nice guy, and you're always respectful which means something to me even though it's not supposed to matter on a message board. Unfortunately it also means you might occasionally not get as much of a response as the vitriolic twats who demand your attention with invective. Sorry bout that.

Last edited by fonzeee on Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:34 am 

Calculus wrote:
Americans need an enemy to unite them, it's not like they have much of a shared heritage.

Ooooooh well that's an interesting comment.

Does also raise the question as to why everyone else seems so eager to emulate it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:57 am 

fonzeee wrote:
Calculus wrote:

Does also raise the question as to why everyone else seems so eager to emulate it.

Only if they have no reasonable alternative, like refugees from the crap going down in central America.

Most people from civilized countries are happy to give the US a miss.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:53 am 

fonzeee wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
Bowens wrote:
I mean, fonz said he voted for Hillary so calling him a MAGA is pretty hysterical.
Just a tad.

Fonz said that Trump had his uses a few pages ago.

I asked what uses he could possibly have but have received no reply.

It may be that he missed my post, but I seriously cannot think of any valid reason for Trump's incumbency that would be beneficial to anyone other than Trump, his family and his income bracket.

I look forward to being proved wrong.

Sorry Rinkals, I did see your post but figured my responses to Sen and Zico answered your question well enough.

Clearly we see things differently but you seem like a real nice guy, and you're always respectful which means something to me even though it's not supposed to matter on a message board. Unfortunately it also means you might occasionally not get as much of a response as the vitriolic twats who demand your attention with invective. Sorry bout that.

Thanks.

That means a lot.

I'm really trying to gauge the likelihood of another 4 years of this shit rather than indulge in any point scoring.

From the outside it looks like Trump is trying to rip America apart and being very successful at it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:21 am 

fonzeee wrote:

Sounds like you're holding strangers on the internet to a higher standard than your own President.

Maybe you haven't noticed the change in the manner of discourse since his election either. It's not nice but that's the world we live in now and if Orange sex offender fans want straight talking and no more PC bullshit they can have it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:22 am 

Rinkals wrote:
I'm really trying to gauge the likelihood of another 4 years of this shit.

100% nailed on certain.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:24 am 

themaddog wrote:

No.

The picture is of Hart Island where people with no next of kin are buried. There are a million people buried there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hart_Island_(Bronx)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:26 am 

shanky wrote:
Sonny Blount wrote:
fishfoodie wrote:

Meg Whitman.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:44 am 

Sonny Blount wrote:
fishfoodie wrote:

Never gave himself enough time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:19 am 

Sonny Blount wrote:
shanky wrote:
Sonny Blount wrote:
fishfoodie wrote:

Meg Whitman.

Perhaps you should google the expression and its origins.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:13 pm 

I'm disappointed that no-one mentioned Ross Perot.

I suppose that tells it's own tale, of how successful his campaigns were.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:14 pm 

Sonny Blount wrote:
themaddog wrote:

No.

The picture is of Hart Island where people with no next of kin are buried. There are a million people buried there.

Quote:
During the 2020 coronavirus pandemic in New York City, Hart Island was designated as the temporary burial site for victims of COVID-19 if deaths overwhelmed the capacity of mortuaries; this option was chosen in lieu of using city parks for such a purpose.[71][72][73] Deaths at home within the city had increased significantly, though the corpses were not tested for COVID-19.[74] Preparations for mass graves began at the end of March 2020.[70] On April 9, 2020, Reuters reported that private contractors were hired to replace inmate labor for mass grave burials,[75] and burials began.[76][77]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:16 pm 

fonzeee wrote:
Calculus wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:39 pm 

I think Trump's genius (if you can call it that) is in polarising people rather than uniting them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:47 pm 

Everyone's got a talent

Being an orange embezzler is a talent. An unusual one admittedly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:23 pm 

Calculus wrote:
fonzeee wrote:
Calculus wrote:

woooh!, fvck yeah! whoop whoop!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:43 pm 

There's some beauts in here.

https://www.politico.com/cartoons/2020/ ... 44?slide=0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:49 pm 

Someone is very pleased with themselves.

“One submission slipped past the control room and made it to air, despite the fact that the viewer was asking about a condition which can’t be found in the medical books,”

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:07 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:14 pm 

Is TDS any worse than ODS or perhaps HDS?

It seems it is.

TDS is an horrific clinical, pathological condition, whereas HDS is 'a justifiable anger' and ODS is "just asking, like"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 2738, 2739, 2740, 2741, 2742, 2743, 2744 ... 2812  Next