ex-POTUS DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

All things Rugby
User avatar
dam0
Posts: 2125
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:52 am
Location: Spiritual Guardian

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by dam0 »

Kiwias wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:25 am
dam0 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:12 am
Working Class Rugger wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:27 am
Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:43 am The fact that they claim huge fraud outside of the courts and then don't claim it in the court should be an eye opener for trumpeteers. But much like flat feathers and the anti-vav crowd any evidence to the contrary of their belief causes them to dumb down even further.
Having read the comments on the Jenna Ellis tweet 'dumb down' is an apt description of the delusions around the decisions of the PA. courts and the ability of the Supreme Court to actually do anything.
I'm not sure about in the US, but in NZ if any lawyer made the comment that Jenna Ellis made about a judge in a case they are connected with, they might well lose their practising certificate.

"and me on Third Circuit’s opinion:

The activist judicial machinery in Pennsylvania continues to cover up the allegations of massive fraud."


That is a disgraceful thing for a lawyer to say about a sitting judge. She knows better than that (presumably she has read the decision at least), and I think she should face consequences by the law society (or whatever they have over there).
Is she even aware that the three judges were all appointed by GOP presidents?
I don't think she cares. Looks to me like she is not making a commentary on the decision, rather she is whipping up Trump's base. When you start making these sorts of comments you stop being a lawyer.
User avatar
Ted.
Posts: 17627
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Ted. »

Kiwias wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:25 am
dam0 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:12 am
Working Class Rugger wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:27 am
Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:43 am The fact that they claim huge fraud outside of the courts and then don't claim it in the court should be an eye opener for trumpeteers. But much like flat feathers and the anti-vav crowd any evidence to the contrary of their belief causes them to dumb down even further.
Having read the comments on the Jenna Ellis tweet 'dumb down' is an apt description of the delusions around the decisions of the PA. courts and the ability of the Supreme Court to actually do anything.
I'm not sure about in the US, but in NZ if any lawyer made the comment that Jenna Ellis made about a judge in a case they are connected with, they might well lose their practising certificate.

"and me on Third Circuit’s opinion:

The activist judicial machinery in Pennsylvania continues to cover up the allegations of massive fraud."


That is a disgraceful thing for a lawyer to say about a sitting judge. She knows better than that (presumably she has read the decision at least), and I think she should face consequences by the law society (or whatever they have over there).
Is she even aware that the three judges were all appointed by GOP presidents?
That should be utterly irrelevant, Kiwias, but you're probably on to something there. That may well count for something in her world.
User avatar
Ted.
Posts: 17627
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Ted. »

dam0 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:23 am
Ted. wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:40 am
The language is unequivocal. To my untutored eye the judge(s) are not pulling any punches.
Yeah those are very strong comments. Almost injudicious comments.

I'm not sure but it may be that perhaps US decisions are written in a more direct fashion than I am used to. Even allowing for that the judgments don't withhold their scorn.
Yeah, judges here tend to say things along the lines of "but as will be explained, I prefer Mr Joe's evidence to that of Mr Diaper-Don" or "Mr Diaper-Don contends this evidence establishes damage in contravention of the XYZ because ... These arguments are unpersuasive".
User avatar
Kiwias
Posts: 41507
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Kiwias »

Ted. wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:43 am
Kiwias wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:25 am
Is she even aware that the three judges were all appointed by GOP presidents?
That should be utterly irrelevant, Kiwias, but you're probably on to something there. That may well count for something in her world.
I agree but in Trump's world, you know that he would expect a judge he appointed to toe the party line.
Sawtooth the Beaver
Posts: 775
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Sawtooth the Beaver »

Surely not, that would be a characteristic of a wannabe dictator and we have been assured this is not the case.
User avatar
dam0
Posts: 2125
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:52 am
Location: Spiritual Guardian

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by dam0 »

Kiwias wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:13 am
Ted. wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:43 am
Kiwias wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:25 am
Is she even aware that the three judges were all appointed by GOP presidents?
That should be utterly irrelevant, Kiwias, but you're probably on to something there. That may well count for something in her world.
I agree but in Trump's world, you know that he would expect a judge he appointed to toe the party line.
He might have, but even in the US judges are independent.

Even the most wingnut conservative, or loony liberals when they become judges know that their primary responsibility is to apply the law.

Besides, once appointed they are appointed for life. They don't owe anybody anything ever again.
Yer Man
Posts: 20801
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Yer Man »

dam0 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:23 am
Ted. wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:40 am
The language is unequivocal. To my untutored eye the judge(s) are not pulling any punches.
Yeah those are very strong comments. Almost injudicious comments.

I'm not sure but it may be that perhaps US decisions are written in a more direct fashion than I am used to. Even allowing for that the judgments don't withhold their scorn.
I've seen it mentioned earlier when one of the first cases reached court and the lawyers admitted that they had absolutely no evidence - the Judge basically told them that if they brought another case before him and had no evidence he would revoke their licence.
User avatar
Sefton
Posts: 15782
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Sefton »

Mick has told us to wait, the evidence is coming, show some patience.
User avatar
mr bungle
Posts: 12732
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by mr bungle »

Sefton wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:15 am Mick has told us to wait, the evidence is coming, show some patience.
:lol:
ovalball
Posts: 12056
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by ovalball »

I hope Trump apeals the Penn case to the Supreme Court.

a) It'll be hilarious seeing 3 judges he put there, chucking it out

b) I think once the Supreme Court chuck it out, the public (most of them, at least) will see the allegations for what they really are.
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 20722
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by shanky »

The SC doesn’t look at evidence, like some courtroom TV show. They rule on the application of laws.

The idea that they’re going to take all these afterdavids and ‘rule’ on them is laughable.

They might’ve taken the case if the late postal ballots had made the difference, but they didn’t.
User avatar
Mr Mike
Posts: 11076
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Texas

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Mr Mike »

Kiwias wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:13 am
Ted. wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:43 am
Kiwias wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:25 am
Is she even aware that the three judges were all appointed by GOP presidents?
That should be utterly irrelevant, Kiwias, but you're probably on to something there. That may well count for something in her world.
I agree but in Trump's world, you know that he would expect a judge he appointed to toe the party line.
He isn’t the only one simple enough to believe that narrative. In fact, he probably believes it less than plenty of other bed-wetters.
User avatar
Mr Mike
Posts: 11076
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Texas

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Mr Mike »

ovalball wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:02 pm I hope Trump apeals the Penn case to the Supreme Court.

a) It'll be hilarious seeing 3 judges he put there, chucking it out

b) I think once the Supreme Court chuck it out, the public (most of them, at least) will see the allegations for what they really are.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see SCOTUS deny cert.
User avatar
Big Nipper
Posts: 9373
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: The Fountain of Running Rugby

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Big Nipper »

Mr Mike wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:14 pm
ovalball wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:02 pm I hope Trump apeals the Penn case to the Supreme Court.

a) It'll be hilarious seeing 3 judges he put there, chucking it out

b) I think once the Supreme Court chuck it out, the public (most of them, at least) will see the allegations for what they really are.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see SCOTUS deny cert.
Based on what?
User avatar
Mr Mike
Posts: 11076
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Texas

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Mr Mike »

Big Nipper wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:21 pm
Mr Mike wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:14 pm
ovalball wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:02 pm I hope Trump apeals the Penn case to the Supreme Court.

a) It'll be hilarious seeing 3 judges he put there, chucking it out

b) I think once the Supreme Court chuck it out, the public (most of them, at least) will see the allegations for what they really are.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see SCOTUS deny cert.
Based on what?
That is an impossibly broad question, in fact they don’t need to base it on anything, it is an exercise of discretion (read Rule 10 of the Supreme Court Rules. The preliminary analysis will be whether the case presents an actual judicable controversy (or even a live one) before they get into a discussion about the role of SCOTUS. For example Roberts may want to steer well clear of it, almost as much as Breyer, Sotomayor and Kagan. Can’t imagine anyone will be keen to have this stink up the High Court, unless they see it as an opportunity to reiterate its independence, which they can do with a single line denying cert.
User avatar
Working Class Rugger
Posts: 4019
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA plum!!!

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Working Class Rugger »

Mr Mike wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:14 pm
ovalball wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:02 pm I hope Trump apeals the Penn case to the Supreme Court.

a) It'll be hilarious seeing 3 judges he put there, chucking it out

b) I think once the Supreme Court chuck it out, the public (most of them, at least) will see the allegations for what they really are.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see SCOTUS deny cert.

How exactly would they do that? So far all of the courts have been pretty consistent in their findings regarding the suits brought before them. Being groundless. And elections are the sole responsibility of the states themselves. I'm struggling to see how they'd find cause to do as you suggest. Could you go into further depth as to your conclusion?
User avatar
Mr Mike
Posts: 11076
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Texas

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Mr Mike »

Working Class Rugger wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:56 pm
Mr Mike wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:14 pm
ovalball wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:02 pm I hope Trump apeals the Penn case to the Supreme Court.

a) It'll be hilarious seeing 3 judges he put there, chucking it out

b) I think once the Supreme Court chuck it out, the public (most of them, at least) will see the allegations for what they really are.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see SCOTUS deny cert.

How exactly would they do that? So far all of the courts have been pretty consistent in their findings regarding the suits brought before them. Being groundless. And elections are the sole responsibility of the states themselves. I'm struggling to see how they'd find cause to do as you suggest. Could you go into further depth as to your conclusion?
You may want to see above and also google what deny certiorari means!
Trostan
Posts: 2878
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Down by the Riverside

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Trostan »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:02 am Yeah! USA! USA! USA!!

When it comes crashing down and it hurts inside
You gotta take a stand - it don't hurt to hide

If you hurt my friends then you hurt my pride - I gotta be a man I can't let it slide

I am a real American, fight for the rights of every man
I'm a real American -fight for what's right - fight for your life

I feel strong for very long I don't take trouble for very long I've got something
deep inside of me courage is the thing that sets us free
Repeat chorus x 2
If you hurt my friends then you hurt my pride I gotta be a man I can't let
them slide
Maybe Jackson Browne defines the U.S.a. little more clearly in 1986
Trostan
Posts: 2878
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Down by the Riverside

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Trostan »

Whatever wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:38 am
Kiwias wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:56 am Jenna Ellis is a total nutjob. From her twitter feed on 23 June this year:
I’m going on record now:

If they try to cancel Christianity, if they try to force me to apologize or recant my Faith, I will not bend, I will not waver, I will not break.

On Christ the solid Rock I stand.

And I’m proud to be an American.
I'm so inspired I feel a song coming on....

I thank my lucky stars
To be living here today
'Cause the flag still stands for freedom
And they can't take that away
And I'm proud to be an American
Where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me
And I'd gladly stand up next to you
And defend Her still today
'Cause there ain't no doubt
I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.

I just hope poor paranoid Jenna can keep her faith and her freedom. Happy holidays, Jenna!
Maybe Jackson Browne in 1986 captured the unchangng American reality more definitivey

I've been waiting for something to happen
For a week or a month or a year
With the blood in the ink of the headlines
And the sound of the crowd in my ear
You might ask what it takes to remember
When you know that you've seen it before
Where a government lies to a people
And a country is drifting to war
And there's a shadow on the faces
Of the men who send the guns
To the wars that are fought in places
Where their business interest runs
On the radio talk shows and the T.V.
You hear one thing again and again
How the U.S.A. stands for freedom
And we come to the aid of a friend
But who are the ones that we call our friends--
These governments killing their own?
Or the people who finally can't take any more
And they pick up a gun or a brick or a stone
There are lives in the balance
There are people under fire
There are children at the cannons
And there is blood on the wire
There's a shadow on the faces
Of the men who fan the flames
Of the wars that are fought in places
Where we can't even say the names
They sell us the President the same way
They sell us our clothes and our cars
They sell us every thing from youth to religion
The same time they sell us our wars
I want to know who the men in the shadows are
I want to hear somebody asking them why
They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are
But they're never the ones to fight or to die
And there are lives in the balance
There are people under fire
There are children at the cannons
And there is blood on the wire
Source: Musixmatch
User avatar
Ted.
Posts: 17627
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Ted. »

Mr Mike wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:59 pm
Working Class Rugger wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:56 pm
Mr Mike wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:14 pm
ovalball wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:02 pm I hope Trump apeals the Penn case to the Supreme Court.

a) It'll be hilarious seeing 3 judges he put there, chucking it out

b) I think once the Supreme Court chuck it out, the public (most of them, at least) will see the allegations for what they really are.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see SCOTUS deny cert.

How exactly would they do that? So far all of the courts have been pretty consistent in their findings regarding the suits brought before them. Being groundless. And elections are the sole responsibility of the states themselves. I'm struggling to see how they'd find cause to do as you suggest. Could you go into further depth as to your conclusion?
You may want to see above and also google what deny certiorari means!
Given the ambiguous nature of your wording, given the current election brouhaha, that's a little bit mean Mr Mike.
User avatar
Whatever
Posts: 1002
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Rockyville, Merryland

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Whatever »

Trostan wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:07 pm
Whatever wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:38 am
Kiwias wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:56 am Jenna Ellis is a total nutjob. From her twitter feed on 23 June this year:
I’m going on record now:

If they try to cancel Christianity, if they try to force me to apologize or recant my Faith, I will not bend, I will not waver, I will not break.

On Christ the solid Rock I stand.

And I’m proud to be an American.
I'm so inspired I feel a song coming on....

I thank my lucky stars
To be living here today
'Cause the flag still stands for freedom
And they can't take that away
And I'm proud to be an American
Where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me
And I'd gladly stand up next to you
And defend Her still today
'Cause there ain't no doubt
I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.

I just hope poor paranoid Jenna can keep her faith and her freedom. Happy holidays, Jenna!
Maybe Jackson Browne in 1986 captured the unchangng American reality more definitivey

I've been waiting for something to happen
For a week or a month or a year
With the blood in the ink of the headlines
And the sound of the crowd in my ear
You might ask what it takes to remember
When you know that you've seen it before
Where a government lies to a people
And a country is drifting to war
And there's a shadow on the faces
Of the men who send the guns
To the wars that are fought in places
Where their business interest runs
On the radio talk shows and the T.V.
You hear one thing again and again
How the U.S.A. stands for freedom
And we come to the aid of a friend
But who are the ones that we call our friends--
These governments killing their own?
Or the people who finally can't take any more
And they pick up a gun or a brick or a stone
There are lives in the balance
There are people under fire
There are children at the cannons
And there is blood on the wire
There's a shadow on the faces
Of the men who fan the flames
Of the wars that are fought in places
Where we can't even say the names
They sell us the President the same way
They sell us our clothes and our cars
They sell us every thing from youth to religion
The same time they sell us our wars
I want to know who the men in the shadows are
I want to hear somebody asking them why
They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are
But they're never the ones to fight or to die
And there are lives in the balance
There are people under fire
There are children at the cannons
And there is blood on the wire
Source: Musixmatch
That's good, I'm adding that to my collection of poems and lyrics.

Fortunately Jackson Browne, who I believe is a Canadian, wrote that before the advent of Fox News. If he wrote that now he'd get a right panning.
User avatar
Mr Mike
Posts: 11076
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Texas

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Mr Mike »

Ted. wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:52 pm
Mr Mike wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:59 pm
Working Class Rugger wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:56 pm
Mr Mike wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:14 pm
ovalball wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:02 pm I hope Trump apeals the Penn case to the Supreme Court.

a) It'll be hilarious seeing 3 judges he put there, chucking it out

b) I think once the Supreme Court chuck it out, the public (most of them, at least) will see the allegations for what they really are.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see SCOTUS deny cert.

How exactly would they do that? So far all of the courts have been pretty consistent in their findings regarding the suits brought before them. Being groundless. And elections are the sole responsibility of the states themselves. I'm struggling to see how they'd find cause to do as you suggest. Could you go into further depth as to your conclusion?
You may want to see above and also google what deny certiorari means!
Given the ambiguous nature of your wording, given the current election brouhaha, that's a little bit mean Mr Mike.
It wasn’t my intent to be mean, so appreciate you raising it. WCR, apologies.

I was bemused given the post before that and how widely used “cert” is in the SCOTUS context.
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 20722
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by shanky »

Jackson Browne is a teeny bit up his own hole though.

I think it’s fair to say.
User avatar
Short Man Syndrome
Posts: 6275
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Front and centre.

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

No-one defined the US in 1986 more than the 24” pythons, brother.
Trostan
Posts: 2878
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Down by the Riverside

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Trostan »

shanky wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:56 pm Jackson Browne is a teeny bit up his own hole though.

I think it’s fair to say.
A lot of his stuff is introverted, but he is a great lyricist
Try "Too many angels"
Hall of Famer as a writer.
Been widely copied.
User avatar
puku
Posts: 2248
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Saint Paul

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by puku »

dam0 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:54 am
Ted. wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:35 am
dam0 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:22 am Link to the PA case Appeals court judgment (via Twitter)

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/statu ... 01792?s=19


I recommend taking the time to read it. It's an extraordinary refutation of every aspect of that Trump case, written in colorful language.

The Trump lawyers appear foolish and naive. The judgment was written by a Trump appointee and signed onto by 2 Bush appointed judges.

I cannot see the Supreme Court bothering to take this case on.
:thumbup:
I thought this bit was particularly interesting and possibly something that Santa Baby, Mad Mick and Merry might like to spend an hour or tow studying.
The Campaign had to plead plausible facts, not just conclusory allegations. Plain-tiffs must do more than allege conclusions. Rather, “a complaint must contain sufficient factual matter, accepted as true, to ‘state a claim to relief that is plausible on its face.’ ... (citations) “Threadbare recitals of the elements of a cause of action, supported by mere conclusory statements, do not suffice.” ...

To start, note what it does not allege: fraud. Indeed, in oral argument before the District Court, Campaign lawyer Rudolph Giuliani conceded that the Campaign “doesn’t plead fraud.” ...

Though it alleges many conclusions, the Second Amended Complaint is light on facts.
There's lots more where that came from.
My favourite line:

"It's alchemy cannot transmute lead into gold."

Imagine being the lawyer and having your lawsuit described as alchemy. Ouch.
Or for the layperson, you can't polish a turd
Trostan
Posts: 2878
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Down by the Riverside

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Trostan »

I don't know which of Guilani or Trump deserve each other more.
I'd say its a draw
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 40453
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Anonymous 1 »

ovalball wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:02 pm I hope Trump apeals the Penn case to the Supreme Court.

a) It'll be hilarious seeing 3 judges he put there, chucking it out

b) I think once the Supreme Court chuck it out, the public (most of them, at least) will see the allegations for what they really are.
Nope
Yer Man
Posts: 20801
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Yer Man »

Mr Mike wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:59 pm
Working Class Rugger wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:56 pm
Mr Mike wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:14 pm
ovalball wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:02 pm I hope Trump apeals the Penn case to the Supreme Court.

a) It'll be hilarious seeing 3 judges he put there, chucking it out

b) I think once the Supreme Court chuck it out, the public (most of them, at least) will see the allegations for what they really are.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see SCOTUS deny cert.

How exactly would they do that? So far all of the courts have been pretty consistent in their findings regarding the suits brought before them. Being groundless. And elections are the sole responsibility of the states themselves. I'm struggling to see how they'd find cause to do as you suggest. Could you go into further depth as to your conclusion?
You may want to see above and also google what deny certiorari means!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certiorari#United_States

Interesting...

Since the Judiciary Act of 1925 and the Supreme Court Case Selections Act of 1988,[26] most cases cannot be appealed to the Supreme Court of the United States as a matter of right. A party who wants the Supreme Court to review a decision of a federal or state court files a "petition for writ of certiorari" in the Supreme Court. A "petition" is printed in booklet format and 40 copies are filed with the Court.[27] If the Court grants the petition, the case is scheduled for the filing of briefs and for oral argument. A minimum of four of the nine justices is required to grant a writ of certiorari, referred to as the "rule of four". The court denies the vast majority of petitions and thus leaves the decision of the lower court to stand without review; it takes roughly 80 to 150 cases each term. In the term that concluded in June 2009, for example, 8,241 petitions were filed, with a grant rate of approximately 1.1 percent.
User avatar
Working Class Rugger
Posts: 4019
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA plum!!!

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Working Class Rugger »

Mr Mike wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:59 pm
Working Class Rugger wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:56 pm
Mr Mike wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:14 pm
ovalball wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:02 pm I hope Trump apeals the Penn case to the Supreme Court.

a) It'll be hilarious seeing 3 judges he put there, chucking it out

b) I think once the Supreme Court chuck it out, the public (most of them, at least) will see the allegations for what they really are.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see SCOTUS deny cert.

How exactly would they do that? So far all of the courts have been pretty consistent in their findings regarding the suits brought before them. Being groundless. And elections are the sole responsibility of the states themselves. I'm struggling to see how they'd find cause to do as you suggest. Could you go into further depth as to your conclusion?
You may want to see above and also google what deny certiorari means!

I actually read Rule 10. I am curious as to which of the three conditions it sets out that you think would provide the court with the impetus to take such action. The first two being the need for the highest state based courts in two different states issuing contradictory judgements on the same issue. Which as yet, hasn't occurred to the best of my recollection. The third being them ruling on a matter of federal law outside of their scope. Which is probably the most likely avenue. However, elections in the US are within the auspices of the States. So what is the Supreme Courts reach on the issues raised in the respective stated considering most of the actually legal complaints raised by the Trump campaign have been around procedural issues based around those elections and not as far as I can attain. Federal issues.
User avatar
feckwanker
Posts: 7225
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by feckwanker »

Gone very quiet from Santa, Mick, Merry and Derwyn recently.
User avatar
dam0
Posts: 2125
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:52 am
Location: Spiritual Guardian

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by dam0 »

Working Class Rugger wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:59 pm
Mr Mike wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:59 pm
Working Class Rugger wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:56 pm
Mr Mike wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:14 pm
ovalball wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:02 pm I hope Trump apeals the Penn case to the Supreme Court.

a) It'll be hilarious seeing 3 judges he put there, chucking it out

b) I think once the Supreme Court chuck it out, the public (most of them, at least) will see the allegations for what they really are.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see SCOTUS deny cert.

How exactly would they do that? So far all of the courts have been pretty consistent in their findings regarding the suits brought before them. Being groundless. And elections are the sole responsibility of the states themselves. I'm struggling to see how they'd find cause to do as you suggest. Could you go into further depth as to your conclusion?
You may want to see above and also google what deny certiorari means!

I actually read Rule 10. I am curious as to which of the three conditions it sets out that you think would provide the court with the impetus to take such action. The first two being the need for the highest state based courts in two different states issuing contradictory judgements on the same issue. Which as yet, hasn't occurred to the best of my recollection. The third being them ruling on a matter of federal law outside of their scope. Which is probably the most likely avenue. However, elections in the US are within the auspices of the States. So what is the Supreme Courts reach on the issues raised in the respective stated considering most of the actually legal complaints raised by the Trump campaign have been around procedural issues based around those elections and not as far as I can attain. Federal issues.
Well yeah, the SC is not going to take this one up for all the reasons you stated and others besides.

You and Mr Mike are in agreement.
iarmhiman
Posts: 41640
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Dublin

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by iarmhiman »

Can Trump pardon himself from any previous misdemeanours or felonies before he leaves?
Mick Mannock
Posts: 24118
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Mick Mannock »

feckwanker wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:26 pm Gone very quiet from Santa, Mick, Merry and Derwyn recently.
I have been recording all day
Now watching boxing.
ovalball
Posts: 12056
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by ovalball »

iarmhiman wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:30 pm Can Trump pardon himself from any previous misdemeanours or felonies before he leaves?
It's thought not - but I doubt that would stop him. Evidently there's a legal precedent that you can't be your own judge and jury.
User avatar
shanky
Posts: 20722
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by shanky »

It wouldn’t help him with State charges.

NY has got a few lined up. Mueller kindly spread them around, waiting for this day. :thumbup:
User avatar
Short Man Syndrome
Posts: 6275
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Front and centre.

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

Mick Mannock wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:39 pm
feckwanker wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:26 pm Gone very quiet from Santa, Mick, Merry and Derwyn recently.
I have been recording all day
Now watching boxing.
How’s that debut album coming along?
User avatar
Working Class Rugger
Posts: 4019
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA plum!!!

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Working Class Rugger »

dam0 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:30 pm
Working Class Rugger wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:59 pm
Mr Mike wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:59 pm
Working Class Rugger wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:56 pm
Mr Mike wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:14 pm I wouldn’t be surprised to see SCOTUS deny cert.

How exactly would they do that? So far all of the courts have been pretty consistent in their findings regarding the suits brought before them. Being groundless. And elections are the sole responsibility of the states themselves. I'm struggling to see how they'd find cause to do as you suggest. Could you go into further depth as to your conclusion?
You may want to see above and also google what deny certiorari means!

I actually read Rule 10. I am curious as to which of the three conditions it sets out that you think would provide the court with the impetus to take such action. The first two being the need for the highest state based courts in two different states issuing contradictory judgements on the same issue. Which as yet, hasn't occurred to the best of my recollection. The third being them ruling on a matter of federal law outside of their scope. Which is probably the most likely avenue. However, elections in the US are within the auspices of the States. So what is the Supreme Courts reach on the issues raised in the respective stated considering most of the actually legal complaints raised by the Trump campaign have been around procedural issues based around those elections and not as far as I can attain. Federal issues.
Well yeah, the SC is not going to take this one up for all the reasons you stated and others besides.

You and Mr Mike are in agreement.
Reading some of the comments I may have got my wires crossed in what he meant by denying cert. I thought he was referring to the SC being able to rule on the matter but now I see that yes. We are essentially in agreement.
User avatar
Working Class Rugger
Posts: 4019
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA plum!!!

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Working Class Rugger »

iarmhiman wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:30 pm Can Trump pardon himself from any previous misdemeanours or felonies before he leaves?
In order to pardon himself wouldn't he'd first have to admit to wrongdoings which surely would endanger his standing in the mind of you'd hope a substantial % of his following. Which would ultimately hurt his bottom line.

Cannot see that happening. I actually think he'd prefer to play the victim of any federal prosecution to maintain the rage among his base.
Mick Mannock
Posts: 24118
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

Post by Mick Mannock »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:12 pm
Mick Mannock wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:39 pm
feckwanker wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:26 pm Gone very quiet from Santa, Mick, Merry and Derwyn recently.
I have been recording all day
Now watching boxing.
How’s that debut album coming along?
The material is pretty much prepared. Need to bring a drummer in, which is difficult ATM.
Post Reply