POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-and U.S. Politics catch-all

All things Rugby
Saint

Re: POTUS-DONALD TRUMP-Already making America Great Again!

Post by Saint »

Deadtigers wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:Can one of the financial genuises on here explain why the Steel tariffs just announced are going to be a god thing for the US? I know some local steel producers will benefit fairly quickly, but what about the rest of the country? Steel consumers are going to be working hard with this brilliant infrastructure-rebuild plan, and possibly any other major construction projects that may be built on the Mexican border, are they going to lose out on cheap steel from overseas?
OK, if that answer is too tough, which countries are the most affected by the Steel Tariffs?

Of the 35M Tons imported by the States, it comes from:

1. Canada 16.7 percent

2. Brazil 13.2 percent

3. South Korea 9.7 percent

4. Mexico 9.4 percent

5. Russia 8.1 percent

6. Turkey 5.6 percent

7. Japan 4.9 percent

8. Germany 3.7 percent

9. Taiwan 3.2 percent

10. China 2.9 percent

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1GE10I

Is it reasonable to think that just because Canada, Brazil and South Korea are the main suppliers, they'll also the worst affected by the Tariff or is that too straightforward?
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1GE2LL
Key point in this article, the USA can't expand it's industry production so it's a straight tax on imports.
What's not in the article beyond stating imports are up 18% is that the US aluminium industry is doing well +5% production from same time last year. We're not talking about a depressed industry but one that's already doing its best to meet rising demand...

Had a little dig around the aluminium industry. Well as much of a dig as I felt like lying in bed on a Sunday morning. It's complicated. China is the world's largest manufacturer by an order of magnitude, simply immense, 31 million tonnes (of the world's 57 million tonnes) while Russia at the next highest is only 3,000 million tonnes and the rest of the world makes up in slices. Yet when it comes to value of exports, Russia leads the way by a long way. So I'm guessing we're talking say aircraft grade stuff rather than beer cans. And for the USA imports, who is going to be impacted the most per the article and from what I can see it's Canada again. And Canada is accepted as being integral to the USA's strategic defence. The countries with the biggest trade deficits to the USA don't register.

It's screwed up.
it will hurt business that use steel as part of their product because prices will go up regardless of if they use domestic or foreign.
No it won't - it's a trade war, and those are easy to win [/Trump]

Anything else is fake news
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

Schumer is for the tariff too. One of the best things Trump has proposed (not done yet). I'm speaking as someone who has lots of blue collar family in Ohio - they like it. :thumbup:
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Bowens wrote:Schumer is for the tariff too. One of the best things Trump has proposed (not done yet). I'm speaking as someone who has lots of blue collar family in Ohio - they like it. :thumbup:
You've always come across as a low-browed moron tbf. Nice to have it confirmed.
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

:D
shanky

Post by shanky »

Various economists are saying the tariff will have miniscule effect on the economy at large (<<<1% on inflation or growth).

The main impact is political. As in, will play well in the rust belt but will play badly in places like Beijing.

I’d expect some retaliation.

PS: What’s the betting that Don thought he was actually penalising foreign Steele with this measure?
Deadtigers

Post by Deadtigers »

Bowens wrote:Schumer is for the tariff too. One of the best things Trump has proposed (not done yet). I'm speaking as someone who has lots of blue collar family in Ohio - they like it. :thumbup:
I know you are but this idea is flawed. Schumer loves it because it plays well with the white blue collar guys the Dems lost the past few years. personally just as they think little of my struggles, I think very little of theirs. This gives Schumer a chance to look good because it makes the Dems look like they are for US workers, especially as most GOP are against it and Trump like clockwork will not follow through.

The flaw in the idea is that it will raise prices for products and as we as a nation have stagnant wage increase this will be a problem.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

shanky wrote:Various economists are saying the tariff will have miniscule effect on the economy at large (<<<1% on inflation or growth).

The main impact is political. As in, will play well in the rust belt but will play badly in places like Beijing.

PS: What’s the betting that Don thought he was actually penalising foreign Steele with this measure?

It is an interesting time to decide to start any sort of trade war with China specifically beginning to flex some real muscle... and dragging most of Asia and the Pacific along with it.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Just ripples on a pond...

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/03/trump-t ... ts-up.html
President Donald Trump threatened to hit car exports from the European Union with a retaliatory tax, escalating a brewing global fight with U.S. trading partners triggered by newly announced 25 percent U.S. tariffs on imported steel and aluminum.

In a post on Twitter, Trump cited a "big imbalance" between the two countries, said if the 28-nation bloc insisted on imposing punitive taxes on U.S. goods, America would strike back on European car exports. It was an apparent response to European officials threatening policy changes of their own in the wake of Trump's sudden pronouncement on metal imports.

"If the E.U. wants to further increase their already massive tariffs and barriers on U.S. companies doing business there, we will simply apply a tax on their cars which freely pour into the U.S.," the president said on Twitter.

That could spell trouble for car manufacturers like Volkswagen and BMW, two of the most popular European brands sold in the U.S. The German luxury car maker also manufactures many of its cars in America, shipping billions of dollars worth abroad.

In 2016, the EU shipped more than 6 million cars abroad, and the U.S. — its largest market by far — absorbed more than 1 million of those, according to the European Automobile Manufacturers Association.

Each year, the U.S. imports more from Europe than the continent absorbs in American goods, to the tune of a trade deficit worth more than $11 billion in 2017, according to U.S. Census data.

Trump's hasty decision to impose tariffs on steel imports has stoked talk of a brewing trade war, roiling both the political establishment and the global economic order. The move also prompted E.U. trade chiefs to weigh hitting a broad array of U.S. imports with a 25 percent tax, Reuters reported this week.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/03/kudlow- ... hikes.html

One of the ironies of trade protectionism is that tariffs and import quotas are what we do to ourselves in times of peace what foreign nations do to u‎s with blockades to keep imports from entering our country in times of war.

Or consider that we impose sanctions on U.S. enemies such as North Korea, Russia and Iran because we want them to feel the economic pain of being deprived of imports. But now we are imposing sanctions on our own country by punishing with tariffs in order to make Americans more prosperous. If ever there were a crisis of logic, this is it.

President Trump genuinely believes that his steel and aluminum tariffs will save thousands of blue collar jobs. And we know from our interactions with him that he truly cares about these workers in Pennsylvania, Ohio and other rust belt states.

The American people do as well, and we don't want factories to shut down. But even if tariffs save every one of the 140,000 or so steel jobs in America, it puts at risk 5 million manufacturing and related jobs in industries that use steel. These producers now have to compete in hyper-competitive international markets using steel that is 20 percent above the world price and aluminum that is 7 to 10 percent above the price paid by our foreign rivals.

In other words, steel and aluminum may win in the short term, but steel and aluminum users and consumers will lose. In fact, tariff hikes are really tax hikes.

‎ Some of those 5 million jobs will be put in harm's way. And if they sell less to foreigners, the trade deficit goes up, not down.

Since so many of the things Americans consumers buy today are made of steel or aluminum, a 25 percent tariff will likely get passed on to consumers at the cash register. This is a regressive tax on low-income families.
Trump should also examine the historical record on tariffs, because they have almost never worked as intended and almost always deliver an unhappy ending.

The Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act of 1930 signed into law by Republican President Herbert Hoover gave us, and worsened, the Great Depression.

Richard Nixon's 10 percent import surcharge contributed to the stagflation of the 1970s.

George W. Bush tried to save the steel industry by imposing tariffs on steel and If those tariffs worked, we wouldn't be having this discussion today. ‎We tried to save the color TV industry with protectionist measures and instead they wiped out the domestic production.

We aren't persuaded by the Trump administration claim that we need to impose these tariffs for national security reasons. Despite stiff competition from imports, many specialty steel producers are doing just fine and actually exporting steel to Mexico and Canada.

Meanwhile, Canada is the number one exporter of steel to the United States. Does anyone really believe Canada is a national security threat to the U.S.?

What does worry us that Canada and Mexico are now both threatening retaliatory tariffs against America. This tit-for-tat trade breakdown could put NAFTA in serious jeopardy. That could inflict severe economic damage to all three nations, and a stock market meltdown.

Trump should continue to make American producers more competitive in global markets through tax, regulatory, energy, and other pro-America policy changes that bring jobs and capital back to the United States. That is happening at a furious pace right now as Trump has made America almost overnight the best and most reliable place in the world to invest. Steel and aluminum import tariffs work decisively against this goal.

Ronald Reagan in the 1980s invoked anti-dumping provisions against Japanese steel. It was one of his few decisions he later confessed he wishes he hadn't made. ‎Trump will come to learn the same thing, and we hope it is sooner, not later.
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

Larry Kudlow. I don't think so pal.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

It's too easy to shoot the messenger without discussing the message.
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

8200 good paying jobs have been reassured in a vulnerable region.
If we fail to stand up for steel jobs today, China will come after other jobs up and down the supply chain tomorrow.
https://www.brown.senate.gov/newsroom/p ... el-imports
shanky

Post by shanky »

No Bruce Springsteen gigs needed in Cleveland from now on.

Rust belt’s back, baby!
shanky

Post by shanky »

guy smiley wrote:
shanky wrote:Various economists are saying the tariff will have miniscule effect on the economy at large (<<<1% on inflation or growth).

It is an interesting time to decide to start any sort of trade war with China specifically beginning to flex some real muscle... and dragging most of Asia and the Pacific along with it.

They only have to cash in some of their US$3 trillion in bonds to get Don’s attention real fast.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

shanky wrote:

They only have to cash in some of their US$3 trillion in bonds to get Don’s attention real fast.

That would really liven things up. For all of us.

Post by 4071 »

Donald Trump joking about Kim Jong-un:
"As far as the risk of dealing with a madman is concerned, that's his problem, not mine."
To be fair, that's a funny line.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

4071 wrote:Donald Trump joking about Kim Jong-un:
"As far as the risk of dealing with a madman is concerned, that's his problem, not mine."
I didn't have him down as being so self-aware.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

:lol:
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Kiwias wrote:
I didn't have him down as being so self-aware.
To be fair he can be very self depreciating.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Seneca of the Night wrote:As someone who is broadly supportive of him, I feel a bit a bit sorry for you anti-trumpists, as you can't appreciate just how fcking funny this whole thing is. He's an extremely funny guy.
Nah, over egging it. He is funny to an extent, but it kind of gets overridden by his insincerity, his lies, his viciousness and his blatant racism cynical demagoguery.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:As someone who is broadly supportive of him, I feel a bit a bit sorry for you anti-trumpists, as you can't appreciate just how fcking funny this whole thing is. He's an extremely funny guy.
Nah, over egging it. He is funny to an extent, but it kind of gets overridden by his insincerity, his lies, his viciousness and his blatant racism cynical demagoguery.
Sucks to be you.
Nah it's pretty damn good.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Do you genuinely believe this shit? Of course we can see how funny he can be and how he is taking the mickey with a lot of his out-there statements.

That does not mean we can not also see the damage he is doing in so many areas, which you seemingly can not accept.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Kiwias wrote:
Do you genuinely believe this shit? Of course we can see how funny he can be and how he is taking the mickey with a lot of his out-there statements.

That does not mean we can not also see the damage he is doing in so many areas, which you seemingly can not accept.
1 good joke makes all those dead kids ok :thumbup:
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Sandstorm wrote:
Kiwias wrote:

1 good joke makes all those dead kids ok :thumbup:
Obviously :thumbup:
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

"We came, we saw, he died ! Haaa-haaaa-haa-haaaa-haa !"

An American thing, seemingly.
Bokkom

Post by Bokkom »

Bullettyme wrote:
I agree with almost all of that...except, is he really a racist?
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Bokkom wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
You've never bet anyone less racist than Trump. I tell you
Bokkom

Post by Bokkom »

Anonymous. wrote:
Bokkom wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
In English?
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Bokkom wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
I'd lean that way based on his treatment of "the mexican" Judge Curiel, his invective towards Mexicans in general, his flirtations with racist extremists and his dogwhistles towards same and his previous history of not renting to black people.
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

Ben Carson's. Secretary of Housing. Renting to black people ?

Or is he a white supremacist type .....
houtkabouter

Post by houtkabouter »

Bokkom wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
Do you think he’s pretending to be a racist?
Bokkom

Post by Bokkom »

houtkabouter wrote:
Bokkom wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
Do you think he’s pretending to be a racist?
Show me examples.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
Bokkom wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
I'd lean that way based on his treatment of "the mexican" Judge Curiel, his invective towards Mexicans in general, his flirtations with racist extremists and his dogwhistles towards same and his previous history of not renting to black people.
Yes, but you're a bit of a nutcase.
Abuse and no refuting of points. Now who moaned incessantly about that recently? Infact they cried to the mods about it too. :roll:
Deadtigers

Post by Deadtigers »

Bowens wrote:8200 good paying jobs have been reassured in a vulnerable region.
If we fail to stand up for steel jobs today, China will come after other jobs up and down the supply chain tomorrow.
https://www.brown.senate.gov/newsroom/p ... el-imports
An Ohio Pol backs a measure that benefits Ohio? Shocked, I tell you shocked!
Deadtigers

Post by Deadtigers »

Bokkom wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Bokkom wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
In English?
FFS man, it was a typo. change bet to met. Donny Tiny Hands says that all the time. I am the least racist person you have ever interviewed. Trump is racist. Federally charged and had to settle for not renting to black people. The central park 5. His attacks on Obama, his belief that it is easier to be black in America at this time. I haven't even touched the Mexican comments.

People will often Omarosa or Ben Carson but those are all mixed in with his racism. He gives Carson the director of Urban Housing job whose primary clients are minorities or is speaking to a Korean American woman who is an expert on Afghanistan and asks " why isn't the lovely Korean lady helping us handle the NK matter." Omarosa is just proof of how much Trump loves adulation and as long as you provide it your useful until Black people vote out Moore then he blames here for black people not liking him.
Last edited by Deadtigers on Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Yeah his birtherism is fairly obvious racism too.
Deadtigers

Post by Deadtigers »

Who want to bet dollars to donuts on Bokkom claiming he still doesn't believe Trump is racist despite the info shown as is his habit. He decides Trump isn't racist then asks the question so he can dismiss it and ask that someone else do the leg work.
Bokkom

Post by Bokkom »

Deadtigers wrote:Who want to bet dollars to donuts on Bokkom claiming he still doesn't believe Trump is racist despite the info shown as is his habit. He decides Trump isn't racist then asks the question so he can dismiss it and ask that someone else do the leg work.
You persist in being a fuckwit, don't you. I think Trump is a thin-skinned, narcissistic asshole who lashes out to everybody whom he perceives slighted him. Mexicans, Blacks, Whites, whoever. But yeah, some people take any kind of critisism against certain people as racism, I get that.
Deadtigers

Post by Deadtigers »

Bokkom wrote:
Deadtigers wrote:Who want to bet dollars to donuts on Bokkom claiming he still doesn't believe Trump is racist despite the info shown as is his habit. He decides Trump isn't racist then asks the question so he can dismiss it and ask that someone else do the leg work.
You persist in being a fuckwit, don't you. I think Trump is a thin-skinned, narcissistic asshole who lashes out to everybody whom he perceives slighted him. Mexicans, Blacks, Whites, whoever. But yeah, some people take any kind of critisism against certain people as racism, I get that.
You are the fukwit who will watch someone like him spew racist charge after racist charge then question if he is? Like it might be this, it might be that. How about you take him at his word and actions? Not look for an excuse look what he has done. Denying rent to black people was not on TV was not something about his
Millions. It was just a policy he had. No bright lights, no hollywood.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Bokkom wrote:some people take any kind of critisism against certain people as racism, I get that.
You're a disingenuous plum, aren't you.
Deadtigers

Post by Deadtigers »

Bullettyme wrote:
Bokkom wrote:some people take any kind of critisism against certain people as racism, I get that.
You're a disingenuous plum.
FYPFY.