Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1780, 1781, 1782, 1783, 1784, 1785, 1786 ... 2679  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:05 pm 

Waratah wrote:
Santa wrote:
Waratah wrote:
Santa wrote:
But he is an utter beast. Look at what he has done and is doing: on his way to seizing the most powerful political, military and economic position in the world he has defeated both of the most powerful political parties on earth. This is unprecedented. And he's treating the whole thing as he would a common bar wench. Encroyable!

Defeated both of the most powerful political parties on earth? Doesn't matter how powerful they were, it's a two party system, a two horse race. He was uniquely placed to hijack one of them, and he got up against a uniquely unpopular opponent with the help of hostile foreign state.

Quote:
And I'm also slightly bemused that so many people are unable to step back from their Trump animosity and ask whether what is happening is a good idea for their country. I can't think that it is. What precedents is it setting that might be used against the anti-Trumpists in future? Nobody is thinking about that..

Give me a break. In his determination to impede the investigation he has obstructed justice in any number of ways but the chief method is to undermine the pillars of democracy: attacking the freedom of the press, the independence of the justice department and intelligence agencies, and his transparent corruption of the executive. But you're more bemused that people can't step back from their animosity? And you think that's the greater threat?

Seriously?

Waratah believe it or not I'm not going to accept your view on the legality of Trumps activities, on the basis that you have no idea what you're talking about. As for the rest of my post, which you have hand waved away with a great big WROOONG, well that doesn't leave us much to discuss that you won't also hand wave away. I guess we'll see. I wish you better luck with this than you had with your election forecast.

It's true that my instinct was that Americans overall would make a smart choice, but I put great stock in polling, and that showed that a comfortable Clinton lead evaporated in the final week, after the re-opening of the emails investigation. In the end they showed she'd win by the amount she did in the popular vote. Hope that sufficiently addresses the ad hominem.

I'm touched that you accuse me of waving aside your post while dismissing my view of Trump being a crook 'on the basis that you have no idea what you're talking about.' That's a contemptuously lazy denial of what is well-known. And I think that your only justification of the silly idea that Trump's interrogators are a bigger threat than Trump, is to pretend he might be innocent, knowing he's not. I still don't think you're arguing in good faith.

Just for clarity my reference to illegalities was a response to your claim about Trump obstructing justice, which I took to refer to the actual specific crime rather than vague nod to all crime. However I'm not interested in getting into one of these non-discussions so I'll leave it there.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:08 pm 

Waratah wrote:
Santa wrote:
But he is an utter beast. Look at what he has done and is doing: on his way to seizing the most powerful political, military and economic position in the world he has defeated both of the most powerful political parties on earth. This is unprecedented. And he's treating the whole thing as he would a common bar wench. Encroyable!

Defeated both of the most powerful political parties on earth? Doesn't matter how powerful they were, it's a two party system, a two horse race. He was uniquely placed to hijack one of them, and he got up against a uniquely unpopular opponent with the help of hostile foreign state.

Quote:
And I'm also slightly bemused that so many people are unable to step back from their Trump animosity and ask whether what is happening is a good idea for their country. I can't think that it is. What precedents is it setting that might be used against the anti-Trumpists in future? Nobody is thinking about that..

Give me a break. In his determination to impede the investigation he has obstructed justice in any number of ways but the chief method is to undermine the pillars of democracy: attacking the freedom of the press, the independence of the justice department and intelligence agencies, and his transparent corruption of the executive. But you're more bemused that people can't step back from their animosity? And you think that's the greater threat?

Seriously?

I'm glad to see you taking up cudgels against Sen/

I am nowhere near as well read as he (or at least as he claims to be, for I find it impossible to think that one can read the volume of works that he would have us believe yet remain quite so impervious to reason), but I have become exasperated at his resolute defence of Trump in the face of all evidence that would suggest that Trump is a charlatan and his supporters duped dopes.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:39 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Conservative Eddie wrote:
Imagine if Obama had set up a fake university.

That scammed people of millions of dollars.

And had to settle a case against him for millions of dollars.

Imagine that scenario?

Why would we imagine that? That thought experiment is of no use whatsoever. It's hard to think of two more divergent pathways to the presidency than Trump and Obama.

Imagine if Trump won a series of elections on his way to the White House against, er, no one. Imagine that. No, don't bother, there's no point.

Imagine in the years preceding his presidency, Obama fostered, through social media, a claim that the current president George W Bush was in fact an:

Interloper.

An imposter.

Not a real American!

And demanded that his long-form birth certificate be produced for public scrutiny.

Imagine that scenario?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:53 pm 

Santa wrote:
...my reference to illegalities was a response to your claim about Trump obstructing justice, which I took to refer to the actual specific crime rather than vague nod to all crime. However I'm not interested in getting into one of these non-discussions so I'll leave it there.

I'll do you the honour of pretending to believe that's why you want to leave it there, rather than the difficulty defending that crap.

Let me ask you this instead. On the balance of probabilities, do you think it more or less likely that Trump is attempting to obstruct justice, and if so, is it more or less likely because he invited or accepted assistance from a hostile state to help him win the election?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:02 pm 

Rinkals wrote:
I'm glad to see you taking up cudgels against Sen/

I am nowhere near as well read as he (or at least as he claims to be, for I find it impossible to think that one can read the volume of works that he would have us believe yet remain quite so impervious to reason), but I have become exasperated at his resolute defence of Trump in the face of all evidence that would suggest that Trump is a charlatan and his supporters duped dopes.

Rinkals dear chap, let me tell you something:

Low Brow: Star Wars is gay
Middle Brow: Star Wars is a metaphor for the Hero's Journey where a man follows a path through an encounter with a guru through trial and tribulation to the edge of the abyss, where the abyss looks back at him and travels to face The True Test.
High Brow: Star Wars is gay

This is what we have here.

I confess, I have no idea of what you're talking about.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:40 pm 

Quote:
ian bremmer
‏Verified account @ianbremmer

All sorts of people think US gave billions to Iran as part of nuclear Deal.

As opposed to: 1. unfreezing seized Iranian assets & 2. repaying Iranian cash for weapons sales (from US) that never occurred.

It’s a strategy: Say something enough, folks believe it.
10:35 PM - 23 May 2018

Interesting!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:50 pm 

In hindsight, Obama’s concession to party unity in selecting HRC as Sec of State, has single-handedly brought down the Democratic Party, destroyed the national institutions, caused a schism in the national psyche and guaranteed the conservative (but very interesting) hegemony for the next 10-15 years.

From little bad things, big bad things grow. As Paul Kelly might say, maybe.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:28 am 

Americans cannot be that stupid, can they?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:31 am 

wamberal99 wrote:

40% of them support Trump. Case closed.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:35 am 

Kiwias wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:

40% of them support Trump. Case closed.

Yup.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:39 am 

shanky wrote:
In hindsight, Obama’s concession to party unity in selecting HRC as Sec of State, has single-handedly brought down the Democratic Party, destroyed the national institutions, caused a schism in the national psyche and guaranteed the conservative (but very interesting) hegemony for the next 10-15 years.

From little bad things, big bad things grow. As Paul Kelly might say, maybe.

Bingo.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:51 am 

Some good trolling

Quote:
Trump’s Superpower

He can make Democrats defend anything.
President Trump has a magic power.

No, it isn’t the ability to engage in four-dimensional chess, or even to mystically connect with the “common man.” It’s simply this: He can make Democrats defend anything.

Democrats have increasingly defined themselves by opposing anything Trump does. Trump, unlike his predecessor, has promulgated a mainstream conservative agenda: He’s cut taxes and regulations and spent more on defense. Most Americans aren’t averse to that agenda, particularly considering the booming economy and a relatively quiet foreign sphere. But Democrats painted Trump during the campaign as an emissary of Cthulhu, and now they’re struggling to justify that depiction.

If they were smart, they’d stick to Trump’s obvious heresies, of course: his Twitter foolishness, his inane rants. But they can’t muster up that kind of discipline. Instead, they simply oppose anything Trump does, which leads them to the rather uncomfortable conclusion that the worst people on earth are preferable to even temporary alliance with Trump himself.

In the last week alone, Democrats have embraced the terrorist group Hamas and the vicious criminal gang MS-13. There’s a meme making the rounds on social media that conservatives will do [FILL IN THE BLANK] to “own the libs”: sign off on corruption, engage in the most vile insults, etc. But the Democrats will similarly do anything to “own Trump.”

Thus, even after Hamas admitted on Al Jazeera that they were attempting to use civilian marches as a shield for paramilitary action, the media and Democrats insisted that Israel was targeting innocents; even after a senior Hamas official stated that 50 of the dead in the Gaza riots were “martyrs of Hamas,” and even after Islamic Jihad identified another three dead as members of its terrorist cadre, the media continued to promulgate the myth of indiscriminate Israeli killing and American provocation. Senator Bernie Sanders (I., Vt.) stated, “Over 50 killed in Gaza today and 2,000 today wounded, on top of the 41 killed and more than 9,000 wounded over the past weeks. This is a staggering toll. Hamas violence does not justify Israel firing on unarmed protesters.” Democrats, meanwhile, continued to blame President Trump’s decision to move the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem for the violence, even though Hamas had been engaging in slow-rolling riots for weeks on end, and brutal terrorism for decades.

Then there was MS-13. President Trump stated in a meeting with sheriffs from around the country that members of MS-13 were “animals.” Members of the media immediately claimed that Trump had called all illegal immigrants “animals,” which he manifestly had not. Boxed into a corner, Democrats and media members then began signaling that members of MS-13, the gang with the slogan “rape, kill, control,” deserved more respect. E. J. Dionne of the Washington Post stated, “It’s never right to call other human beings ‘animals’ . . . dehumanizing others always leads us down a dangerous path.” Dehumanizing people who tear the still-beating hearts from their victims’ bodies, who remove heads, who bury people alive? Yes, apparently, Trump was wrong to do that. Said House minority leader Nancy Pelosi (D., Calif.), “There’s a spark of divinity in every person on earth and that we all have to recognize that.” Except for unborn children, of course. Those things don’t have a spark of divinity. They’re polyps.

Trump’s incredible capacity to turn Democrats into defenders of all things evil has paid dividends: Democrats are slipping on the generic congressional ballot as they embrace everyone from the mullahs to the intersectional radicals of the Women’s March leadership. And the more you oppose Trump, the more support you gain on the left — which means that moderate Democrats who would be most likely to win in November are losing primaries to progressive extremists.

A few months back, I asked a top member of the Trump administration how Trump planned on winning the additional 12–15 million votes he’d need to secure reelection. After all, Trump’s approval ratings have been mired below the mid 40s for his entire tenure. The official had no answer.

It turns out that the answer is the same as it was in 2016: Count on Democrats to blow it. So far, in their quest to oppose Trump at every turn, they’re falling for his magic trick, and finding themselves in league with the worst of the worst. Even Trump’s most tepid supporters will pick him every time over a group of people who find him to be worse than Hamas.
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/05/ ... efensible/

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:01 am 

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/legitimate- ... house-lawn

Quote:
A sinkhole has formed on the North Lawn of the White House, and predictably, the temptation was too great for many on social media, who filled the void with all the “drain the swamp” jokes and metaphors one could imagine.

But forget the obvious political jabs and the fact that President Donald Trump uses that phrase as a rallying cry about eliminating corruption in Washington: The saying has some geological merit.

There is a “legitimate swamp” around the White House, Jess Phoenix, a volcanologist, geologist and a Democrat running for a congressional seat in California, said Tuesday.

Phoenix said that while sinkholes often form in regions with precarious bedrock like limestone, such as in Texas and Florida, the geology in Washington is different but still susceptible, particularly given the substantial amount of recent rainfall. “It’s all river deposits,” she said.

“It’s sort of fluids interacting with solids, and gravity taking effect,” she added, “not the gates of hell opening.”

Almost exactly one year ago, a sinkhole opened in Palm Beach, Florida, outside of the Mar-a-Lago estate, which Trump owns and where he regularly visits. It formed near a newly installed water main, city officials said at the time.

On Tuesday, the image of the North Lawn sinkhole that initially gained traction on Twitter was posted by Steve Herman, the White House bureau chief for Voice of America, who said it had been “growing larger by the day.”

Some sinkholes, Phoenix said, can be huge — “tens of meters across, swallowing cars and buses” — but for now, the one at the White House is relatively small.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:18 am 

Santa wrote:
Waratah wrote:
Santa wrote:
If Trump was spied on then he wouldn't be the first Republican presidential candidate the Democrats have tried this with.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ter-218415

Well I'm convinced Trump's innocent now. All the hard evidence about his Russian interests and their efforts to help him win, the dodgy dealings and indictments against all those campaign staff, the fact that he's been a liar and a crook all his life, an impossibly vain, hopelessly thick, contemptibly amoral and relentlessly avaricious soapdish, are washed away based this disputed report from half a century ago.

Come on, Santa, level with me. You know he's an appalling human being unfit to be a world leader even if he's broken no laws, but is also almost certainly guilty of unprecedented political corruption. You're just playing Devil's Advocate for shits & giggles, right? The instructions to the DOJ are a desperate attempt to discredit Mueller's investigation, and the accusations hold as much water as Trump's claim that Obama wire-tapped Trump Tower. Please tell me you know this.

The Atlantic put it quite well yesterday.

Quote:
There are not many Trump scandals. There is one Trump scandal. Singular: the corruption of the American government by the president and his associates, who are using their official power for personal and financial gain rather than for the welfare of the American people, and their attempts to shield that corruption from political consequences, public scrutiny, or legal accountability.

Oh I'm quite happy to say he's a pretty appalling human being in some ways. I also think he's a pretty extraordinary individual in other ways. I don't admire him one bit. But he is an utter beast. Look at what he has done and is doing: on his way to seizing the most powerful political, military and economic position in the world he has defeated both of the most powerful political parties on earth. This is unprecedented. And he's treating the whole thing as he would a common bar wench. Encroyable!

It's a hell of a show.

I just plain do not buy much of the doomsaying. It is overblown. And I don't get why people outside of the US are so incensed that he might be corrupt. I'm not saying he is. I don't know if he is. Maybe he is. I don't really care. I'm not interested in that at all.

I am interested in the wider story around the Mueller investigation etc. I genuinely think there are some serious questions to answer. I'm slightly mystified that so many people dismiss all of the quirky bits about CIA/FBI agents and questionable dossiers and odd indictments and changing stories so easily. And I'm also slightly bemused that so many people are unable to step back from their Trump animosity and ask whether what is happening is a good idea for their country. I can't think that it is. What precedents is it setting that might be used against the anti-Trumpists in future? Nobody is thinking about that.

All on all this is a frankly amazing story. It has multiple levels. And I don't think anybody really knows what is going on.

He's achieved those things despite the fact that he is no such thing, unless you equate "utter beast" to being and extremely despicable person with no redeeming features?

He acquired the office because the GOP invited him to and the DEMs didn't have the wherewithal to stop it happening. Without them, he is nothing. Your hero worship is misplaced.

Last edited by Ted. on Thu May 24, 2018 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:34 am 

Judges rules Trump can't block people on his Twitter. this will get interesting.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:36 am 

Deadtigers wrote:
Judges rules Trump can't block people on his Twitter. this will get interesting.

He's going to carry on blocking them, effectively tell the judge to go fudge himself.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:54 am 

bleacher wrote:
I seriously cannot work out the Dimtards on here.

First, how can anyone actually take Keystone Cop mueller seriously?
And how is it possible for them to not understand that the Democrat-Progressive-MSM-Hollywood-Left.B.I. 'elites' are on a roller coaster surge toward complete wipe-out oblivion?

You tell us. You’re the vietnamconspiracyguy, right?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:14 am 

Ahhhh, the irony of Trump demanding total transparency from the DOJ while still withholding his tax returns from the American people.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:46 am 

Ted. wrote:

He acquired the office because the GOP invited him to and the DEMs didn't have the wherewithal to stop it happening. Without them, he is nothing. Your hero worship is misplaced.

Wow.

I know. I said I don't admire him which apparently equates to hero worship.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:01 am 

Popadopoulos being sentenced

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... padopoulos

Apparently that means he isn't helping Mueller anymore and he won't be needed to testify against anyone.

Edit: here

Quote:
"It means they're pretty much done with him, or they don't need him testifying," said former federal prosecutor Sol Wisenberg. "It may mean they've taken a look at the others in the campaign and decided they cannot charge them, or they're going to charge them without him. ... It means things are moving along."

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/ ... ing-605153

Last edited by Santa on Thu May 24, 2018 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:02 am 

Needy inadequates flock to Don.
Paul Verhoeven invented him and is filming the whole thing.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:36 am 

shanky wrote:
bleacher wrote:

And how is it possible for them to not understand that the Democrat-Progressive-MSM-Hollywood-Left.B.I. 'elites' are on a roller coaster surge toward complete wipe-out oblivion?

You tell us. You’re the vietnamconspiracyguy, right?

He's right though about that. Everybody hates those people.

When the blessed day comes that we all take up arms and start shooting each other in the streets (oh glory be that day), then those people as the butchery begins and they find themselves being flayed from head to toe by their house pets, those whom they have so callously used for generations, they will turn and flee to the safety of those whom they have set everyone else off against in their crazed lust for power. And they will find the castle gates closed and themselves in open space no man's land. And their piteous screams will echo throughout the land for about, oh, twenty minutes, and then be hears no more, and forgotten by all except for writers of lays and wizened bards who will compose allegorical tales of the perils of lust and greed and untrammelled power and hypocrisy.

Hate is a bit strong. Irritating yes. The focus in social issues is distraction from the bigger issues plaguing the west. It is ideal for the true elites ie the super super wealthy that the focus is on this as the status quo is good for them. We need a good culling of super wealthy elites from Trump to bezos to gates to kochs to Zuckerberg to Murdoch etc... They merely jump on social causes and other political allegiances to further their wealth. I would also include some royal hangers-on like Prince Andrew and his spawn in the cull.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:36 am 

Santa wrote:
Ted. wrote:

Wow.

I know. I said I don't admire him which apparently equates to hero worship.

Simply going by the wealth of evidence you have supplied.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:42 am 

bleacher wrote:

LOLZ

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:34 am 

BokJock wrote:
bleacher wrote:

LOLZ

Isn't Bleacher the former rhodie, Hollywood?

If it's not the same poster, they share the same bat-shit politics.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:51 am 

Rinkals wrote:
BokJock wrote:
bleacher wrote:

LOLZ

Isn't Bleacher the former rhodie, Hollywood?

If it's not the same poster, they share the same bat-shit politics.

He also seems to forget that Trump is a Hollywood Elite - more elite than most of the people he is moaning about.

...and until very recently was a Democrat

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:51 am 

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:52 am 

eugenefraxby wrote:

Yes, we get it, you have done very well for yourself. Now that you are here though, can you answer me a question. At the end of the high street in Denham (opposite end from the church) there is a very large house behind high gates. Do you know who lives in it?

Globus?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:47 am 

Do you mean the White House?
The irony is tangible. I’m glad you like the village Sen, your wraithlike presence is a wonderfully heterogeneous gift to our confines.

If it’s the house I think you mean my mate Tom lives in it.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:49 am 

eugenefraxby wrote:

Yes, we get it, you have done very well for yourself. Now that you are here though, can you answer me a question. At the end of the high street in Denham (opposite end from the church) there is a very large house behind high gates. Do you know who lives in it?

Your patron, the mysterious Mr Magwitch?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:52 am 

Actually I think you mean Denham Place.
It is the corporate headquarters of Rothmans.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:27 pm 

eugenefraxby wrote:
The irony is tangible. I’m glad you like the village Sen, your wraithlike presence is a wonderfully heterogeneous gift to our confines.

And then this tryhard shows up here. Is this meant to be an impressive contribution?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:30 pm 

eugenefraxby wrote:

That is the house. No, I believe it is no longer the corporate HQ of Rothmans. A private family appears to have moved in. Our friend the German vicar told me he does not know much about them. Very mysterious.

We need Insp. Derek Noble on this.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:37 pm 

Bowens wrote:
eugenefraxby wrote:

And then this tryhard shows up here. Is this meant to be an impressive contribution?

Don’t be bitter. You keep going, it’ll be ok, promise.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:51 pm 

Eh, at 34 and having achieved a few goals in recent years I'm not bitter at all. Thankful for every day.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:47 pm 

no summit then

another 4d chess win

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:52 pm 

Bowens wrote:
Eh, at 34 and having achieved a few goals in recent years I'm not bitter at all. Thankful for every day.

Good man😊

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:55 pm 

guy smiley wrote:
eugenefraxby wrote:

That is the house. No, I believe it is no longer the corporate HQ of Rothmans. A private family appears to have moved in. Our friend the German vicar told me he does not know much about them. Very mysterious.

We need Insp. Derek Noble on this.

Hi.

Arabs. Sorry, Sen.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:57 pm 

Bowens wrote:
eugenefraxby wrote:

Are you OK? Very angry all the time at the moment. It's very odd.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:17 pm 

Akkerman wrote:
no summit then

another 4d chess win

:shock: but what are they going to do with Nobel Peace Prize Medal that Tucker Carlson said he was going to pick up on his way back from Singapore?

Maybe they can save it for Jared, when he inevitably sorts out peace in the Middle East

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1780, 1781, 1782, 1783, 1784, 1785, 1786 ... 2679  Next